Support Groups - Queen for A Day Challenge: Royal Emergency Day-At-A-Time Challenge

Amarantha2
11-24-2005, 11:10 AM
Emergency, emergency, emergency!!!! It's U.S. Thanksgivin' and that means we're almost at the Solstice 'n Amarantha, for one, be no closer to her goal due to all the bad Flu Demon Vibes 'n general blahness goin' around the Universal Dietary Law Consortium. So she decidedeth to bring her EMERGENCY CHALLENGE A-DAY THREAD OVER HERE WONDERIN' IF ANY :queen: s (or others) wanna share in proposing a daily self-help emergency challenge now 'n then to get 'em through, well, a day at a time feelin' fine.

This thread be not intended to compete with or usurp any other conversation goin' on in the Royal Palace Household and hope no one feels that ... just a no frills, no chitchaty last ditch place for :queen: s (or others) to post a daily challenge for theirownselves and hopefully in the doin' o' this, to motivate 'n inspireth their royal sisters to continue on in the Goodly March to the Solstice.

If no one bites, I will delete the thread in good time so's not to take up any kilobytes or anything!!!

Amarantha2
11-24-2005, 11:15 AM
Ok, Empress Amarantha, since ye ask, I DO have a self-challenge for myself on this U.S. Thanksgiving!!! I am challengin' myself to EAT NO REFINED SUGAR today at all, except that incidental in healthy low GI foods such as the sprouted buns I am planning on using to make a healthy "stuffing" for a chicken dish. I will also pursue a GOAL (not part of the CHALLENGE) of getting out of the house for some movement (I am ill and don't want to move but will never get better that way) AND of eating in a moderate calorie range (to be determined).

I DECLARE THE PRIZE FOR THE COMPLETION OF THIS CHALLENGE IS TO GO TOMORROW TO SIGN UP AT THE NEW GYM AND PURCHASE SOME SESSIONS WITH THE PERSONAL TRAINER I WISH TO CONSULT, ASSUMING THE GYM IS OPEN WHEN I AM FEELING AWAKE ENOUGH TO GO, OTHERWISE, I'LL GO ON ANOTHER DAY.

In accordance with the RULES o' this daily challenge thread, which Amarantha forgot to state, I WILL REPORT ON THE SUCCESS OR FAILURE OF THIS CHALLENGE AND NOT LEAVE OTHERS HANGIN' AROUND THE GREAT HALL AND WONDERING HOW I DID.

Yogini
11-24-2005, 11:15 AM
Good idea, Sister!

I challenge myself to stay AWAY from the mashed potatoes which have too MANY tablespoons of rich and buttery Earth Balance in them and to aslo avoid the Pesto I made that has too much extra virgin olive oil! Sneaky me tried to forget about the decadent GRAVY that is *all* fat! I vow to NOT eat even a TASTE of these things and make the "mashed cauliflower" dish and a nice polenta with marinara sauce instead of all these other naughty foods. Also, I will have only 1 SMALL peice of mixed berry pie! ;) I will insist on going for a walk after our meal and have the meal at 2 pm so there is time to burn through all that food before bed. Also, I will drink fresh veggie (beet, carrot, celery) juice and water until the meal and only water afterwards! And so it is!

Amarantha2
11-24-2005, 11:18 AM
Welcome, Fellow Traveler Yogini!!! Mmmm, mashed cauliflower, that's an idea for me, too! :cheer:

wsw
11-24-2005, 11:19 AM
happy thanksgiving, amarantha! hope you are feeling better. i'm in for the emergency day at a time challenge. thought i was going to get out of thanksgiving day meal, but a friend really wanted to cook thanksgiving dinner at my place, so i'm making the commitment to eat small portions and no dessert. also, will get in all my scheduled exercise by this afternoon. thanks for the thread, amarantha! take good care of thy royal self.

Yogini
11-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Yes, the cauliflower is GOOD! You can substitute dairy products for the vegan ones, naturally :)

I make my vegan "mashed cauliflower" like this:

Make a "roux" out of 1 T. Earth Balance (healthier margarine) and 2 T. rice flour. Add a few pinches each of nutmeg and pepper. Add 1 cup plain, unsweetened soy yogurt (I like Wildwood), 2 T. vegan parmesean and then add 1 head steamed cauliflower. Add a splash of umeboshi vinegar or lemon juice and a few pinches of sea salt. Mash together and eat ;)

wsw
11-24-2005, 11:23 AM
welcome, yogini!

Yogini
11-24-2005, 11:36 AM
Wow, what warm welcomes! :) Thanks, Lovlies ;)

Amarantha2
11-24-2005, 01:47 PM
Welcome to the Emergency Room, Wsw!!! :wave: Thanks for participatin' and have a great challengey type day!!! Thanks for the good wishes, I do feel better and can report on the GOAL part o' my challenge that I walked 10 minutes outside before going shopping for some healthy food ... 40 minutes food shoppin' also counts in my Fitday PC. I did have orange juice, which is not the greatest thing for blood sugar, but definitely does not, in my view, constitute a serving of BAD CARBS, so I'm good to go on that part.

Yogini, thy cauliflower recipe soundeth great. I forgot to get cauliflower but will be having some tomorrow. I will try thy vegan version, methinks. I was a vegetarian (never vegan) for more than 10 years, often feel like switching back but haven't made that decision at this time, but like to try recipes.

Onward, here's to one day at a time!!!!

Every day in every way, I'm getting better and better! (Coue)

deleted2
11-24-2005, 07:54 PM
Cool idea! Thanks for posting it, Empress!:hug:

I'm a bit late with this but just wanted to chime in with a Thanksgiving report. For breakfast I had coffee, a pear and a slice of lite Jarlsberg, and my ususal vegetarian Thanksgiving feast and didn't go back for seconds, and for dinner I had a simple protein shake and am drinking water to keep things grooving. Also, tonight I did 15 minutes of yoga and Pilates. Not my usual, but better than the nothing I was planning, so I'm proud of that!:)

Now I have 2 more food hurdles to get thru in the next 2 days. I can do it! [I hope....] Can we keep the emergency thread up thru the weekend?:^:

BTW, I made mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes and they were a hit!

Amarantha2
11-24-2005, 08:50 PM
Yowza, :queen: E's in the house!!! Yep, E, let's keep the thread goin' through the weekend, please! I also have more hurdles to go in the next few days, maybe longer, a day at a time, that's how I'm gonna get back outta emergency mode. Thanks for thy report! You did great!

You guys are all makin' me crave mashed cauliflower!

My report is thusly: NO REFINED SUGAR CHALLENGE IN THE BAG! Thus, I WILL go to this new gym tomorrow and arrange to meet with the trainer (unless it's closed, then it'll have to be another day). I only intend for this to be temporary, will stay at present gym and train myself ... long story, need some more help.

My mini goals also a hit: 1795 cals, still trying to inch those down. This includes a serving of milk that I have not had so I'll likely be in good shape for finishing this goal successfully. Activity goal also met, as previously reported.

I will return with a new self-challenge tomorrow!!!!

Emergency, Will Robison!!! Emergency, emergency, emergency ...

wsw
11-24-2005, 09:27 PM
i stuck to my goal of getting all my exercise in, no dessert, and reasonable portions (well, except for bread, that is), but basically, did a pretty good job. actually, pretty proud of myself for making it through as well as i did.

Amarantha2
11-25-2005, 09:01 AM
Kudos, Wsw, for thy fortitudeness in sticking to thy yesterday's goal!!!! Great job!! :cheer:

Amarantha2
11-25-2005, 09:15 AM
MY EMERGENCY SELF-CHALLENGE TODAY CONSISTS OF THREE PARTS: 1) Calories 1700 or less 2) No refined sugar except orange juice (which is not really a refined sugar but kind of acts like it in the bod, however, I need the orange juice in this emergency) and 3) Walk 30 minutes or more, either in small segments or all at once.

I've been thinkin' that I may need this emergency day-at-a-time challenge thread for a longer period of time than the rest of the four-day weekend, so may keep at it longer or as long as anyone feels they need it! 'Cause, again, WE HAVE LESS THAN A MONTH TO FULFILL SOLSTICE GOALS.

Now, actually, I did not declare a solstice goal other than decluttering (forget that, I want to loss weight and eat right and GET WELL), but I did want to be at 135 by the end of this week (won't happen, but oh well). And I have scads o' goals for next year, some related to weight and some not ... but basically, it's all related to weight ... and by "weight" I don't really mean "weight" ... not just a number on a scale, anyhow, I mean a comfortable weight that I desire to be at, health, fitness, feeling good in my decrepit bod, spiritual mind/body/world connection, good nutrition, etc., etc., etc. I mean FINALLY coming to a place in this journey where the "weight" (e.g., all of the above factors) are coming together to position me into a mental/physical place where 2006 is the BEST YEAR EVER on all fronts ... fellow travelers, I cannot do this in less than the healthiest bod I can manage to create and I am far, far from that place right now ... so, that's the long explanation (more than ya wanted to know, I'll bet) for the cry o'

EMERGENCY, WILL ROBINSON, EMERGENCY, EMERGENCY, EMERGENCY!

So to all who want walk this walk for a day, a week, or however long, let's start TODAY and see how she goes.

'Cause in the final analysis, methinks, TODAY is really all we have ... but ONE day, well, it'll be the Solstice and what we do TODAY could have a big impact on how much we rejoice in that wonderful comin' back o' the light day ... sis, boom 'n bah.

Forgot to add that my reward for the challenge (which I will buy ahead of time because I KNOW I will ace this thing) is some kind of exercise item ... not sure what.

wsw
11-25-2005, 01:17 PM
thanks for thy support, amarantha!
my goal for today-small, healthy portions (so far so good), meditation tape, regular exercise routine plus extra back stretches.

Kaylets
11-25-2005, 02:17 PM
Hello all!

This is a perfect idea ! I came by yesterday and got " We are upgrading" message and just never got back here....

Yesterday was ok althouhg I did stay glued to the chair too long...

BUT didstarty a new game plan to get more activity in as well as attack some of the overwhelming clutter....

The theme is "Just leave the area( room, vechicle, etc) in a better condition than how you found it." .... which helps me considerably as often the 15 minutes Flylady recommends is overwhelming for me..... although I am not sure why its not enough....

Thanks Empress for special holiday thread....

I needed it!

Amarantha2
11-26-2005, 12:55 AM
Yowza, we have :queen: Kaylets in the emergency room as well!!! Thy goal be noble, K! I need to do that declutterin' stuff more! It seems related to getting control in other areas of life, like the runaway urge for sugar.

My emergency challenge a success (something about this being only one day makes it easier) ... did two 15-minute walks, calories 1687 (since I'm going to sleep in a few minutes, I'm not in danger of eating anything else), no refined sugar: yep, no refined sugar!

I'll be back with another challenge tomorrow ... actually tomorrow is going to be a whole lot more challenging.

Amarantha2
11-26-2005, 08:22 AM
TO ALL WHO HAVE DECLARED A WINTER SOLSTICE GOAL, THIS IS YOUR WAKE-UP CALL, TRA-LA!!! The DAY be a mere 27 turnings o' the earth away ... by my reckonin' anyhow ... if ya haven't made strides towards your goal (and this means YOU, Amarantha), well ... EMERGENCY, EMERGENCY, EMERGENCY!!!

If you've got it handled, then may the Force be wit' ya!

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Amarantha2
11-26-2005, 08:57 AM
I, Amarantha, Empress o' Old Dogs, Pussycats and All Good Things That Go Bump in the Night, do hereby declare my Solstice Goal: To be at the noble weight o' 135 by what I be pleased to call Solstice Sunday ... the Sunday either BEFORE or AFTER the Solstice (December 22), thereby cleverly allowing myself an extra week if I don't reach the goal by the 18th!!! :dance:

IN LIGHT O' THE FACT THAT I'VE BEEN OUTTA CONTROL AND GAININ' WEIGHT FOR TWO WEEKS, YET STILL DESIRETH TO REACH THIS SOLSTICE GOAL, I AGAIN DECLARE A STATE O' EMERGENCY AND AM AGAIN RENEWIN' MY DAILY COMMITMENT TO DEALING WITH THIS DIRE DURSTIFUL DIET DEMON. :devil:

All of which is a fancy way o' saying, my SATURDAY emergency challenge be again threefold: 1) walk a total o' ONE hour, either broken up or all at once!!! 2) Calories 1700 or less!!! 3) No refined sugar except as incidental in foods such as 100 whole grain bread, cold medication or orange juice (which, again, is not really a refined sugar but juice is high glycemic ... needed in my battle with this ongoing flu, which hangeth on.)

Should report on REWARDS: I did not, after all, collect the reward o' signing with the new gym and trainer, as I decided to wait a bit and see if I really want to do it. Also, I downloaded some games in lieu o' the fitness toy for yesterday's challenge. This is still a related reward as when I am playing these games, I am not eating refined sugar. :dance:

Anyone else?

deleted2
11-26-2005, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the wake-up call. I too have been gaining weight for the last 2 weeks or so---I think I'm doing that self-sabotage thing again. I know what I'm supposed to be doing, but am lackadaisical about doing it.Way too much cutting corners--so YES I'm in!!!We can even do the buddy thing if you want and I give you [and anyone else] permission to call me on it if you see me slacking.
If I'm not doing well with the "temple" then the other stuff doesn't work as well. I want to be the best I can be.
I'm prepared to check in every day with a long droning report !

You know what it is about Thanksgiving? Know why we overeat? It's those thanksgiving-y flavors that we don't get at any other time of year and then we gorge on them. I'm going to the kitchen now and recycle them into soup or something! The madness is over! 'Twas fun but now I'm moving on.

Amarantha2
11-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the wake-up call. I too have been gaining weight for the last 2 weeks or so---I think I'm doing that self-sabotage thing again. I know what I'm supposed to be doing, but am lackadaisical about doing it.Way too much cutting corners--so YES I'm in!!!We can even do the buddy thing if you want and I give you [and anyone else] permission to call me on it if you see me slacking.
If I'm not doing well with the "temple" then the other stuff doesn't work as well. I want to be the best I can be.
I'm prepared to check in every day with a long droning report !

You know what it is about Thanksgiving? Know why we overeat? It's those thanksgiving-y flavors that we don't get at any other time of year and then we gorge on them. I'm going to the kitchen now and recycle them into soup or something! The madness is over! 'Twas fun but now I'm moving on.

Me, too, E!!! If the bod isn't goin' well, nothin's goin' well. PLEASE check in every day with a long dronin' report (I love long dronin' reports)!!!! I will likewise drone!!!

I did go ahead and sign up for a package with the trainer at the new gym and so will have that extra push this December ... WE'RE GONNA DO THIS!!!!

Can already report that I did the hour's walk and eating is good and passed on the desire to stop for chocolates when I was out ... this ONE-DAY at a time thing really works!

Yes, I think we crave those flavors that we remember from childhood holidays ... my chicken (sorry, I know you're vege) yesterday had all the traditional seasonings, but I simply didn't need the stuffin' that I'd planned and so didn't have it ... I'll be back later with a full report and will be big-time challenging myself on Sunday as I really have to start working on the writing ...

wsw
11-26-2005, 08:24 PM
met my goals for yesterday! today, i let myself slide a bit and had some sugar-free ice cream, which wasn't too serious cal-wise for me, but i just do better when i don't tackle dessert at all. ( i just add fruit as part of my meal, and try not to think of it as dessert.) my whacky mind, for some reason does better when i use such tricks. ah well, whatever works, i say! i did get in all my exercising,and met cal. goal, plus meditation. tomorrow, back to no dessert also. i like the idea of treats for doing well, too, amarantha. yesterday, i treated myself to a new cd (which i rarely ever do)-stevie wonder-and i have been enjoying it.

Amarantha2
11-26-2005, 08:50 PM
met my goals for yesterday! today, i let myself slide a bit and had some sugar-free ice cream, which wasn't too serious cal-wise for me, but i just do better when i don't tackle dessert at all. ( i just add fruit as part of my meal, and try not to think of it as dessert.) my whacky mind, for some reason does better when i use such tricks. ah well, whatever works, i say! i did get in all my exercising,and met cal. goal, plus meditation. tomorrow, back to no dessert also. i like the idea of treats for doing well, too, amarantha. yesterday, i treated myself to a new cd (which i rarely ever do)-stevie wonder-and i have been enjoying it.

Thanks for the report, Wsw!!! You did GREAT!!!! :cheer:

wsw
11-26-2005, 08:57 PM
thanks for the royal cheer, amarantha!!!!

Amarantha2
11-26-2005, 11:52 PM
Ye'er welcome, Comrade Wsw!!!! :)

Here's my final Emergency Challenge Saturday Report, brevity mode: 1649 cals, X done 1 hr.; NO REFINED SUGAR!!! Actually eating last mini meal now as was able to save cals. This challenge allowed me to bring average weekly cals back below 2000 after all the food I've been eatin' ... will be back with a new personal challenge tomorrow!!!

THERE ARE NOW 26 DAYS TO THE WINTER SOLSTICE (more or less, depending on the accuracy of my math). This is the last chance cafe for reaching weight/health/fitness goals for 2005. Doth we remembereth this time last year, where were we? What were our goals? We still have 26 days to achieve what we want to achieve, if we haven't ... and if we have, well, we don't need an emergency thread!!! :)

GENTLEMENT, ER, LADIES, START YUR ENGINES ... or in the words o' the immortal Bette Davis, fasten your seatbelts, boys, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

Arabella
11-27-2005, 08:17 AM
Good morning! DH is off to the Yukon for a couple of weeks starting today, so the next 14 days will be what I make them. Think I'm going to go WW core starting this aft. (having toast for breakfast today and don't want to start out using points). Thinking these two weeks are really going to kick off weight loss, put it in gear!

Just back from 45-min walk and first part of yoga. I pledge to finish my yoga, do either tai chi or qi qong, meditate. Eat only at the table when alone, eat no wheat or refined sugar, eat only when hungry. Drink the water. Get tons of veggies. Plus -- get out at some point in the afternoon (because I need to see PEOPLE!), have a little fun and do some kind of self-pampering ritual (maybe a pedicure?). Have to remain very careful not to overdo, because I really do NOT want to get sick. The better I feel, the easier this effort is. And the better I do on all fronts (see above), the better I feel. As long as I listen to my body and don't push too hard.

Amarantha, I thank thee for being thread-starter and inspiration, as always! Bumpy ride -- nah! Let's make it smoooooth sailing!

WSW, I had some sugar-free ice cream a month or so ago and was very impressed by how good it was. Will keep it in mind for some time we've got company for dinner. Not low in calories, but at least no sugar. I'm thinking of trying to come up with a stevia-sweetened, yogurt-based frozen treat.

Eydie, it's also just that time of the year -- cooler, darker. I really think the bod thinks it's getting ready to hibernate. Sadly, we just can't allow it! :cry: Ah well.... :carrot: Let's go!

Okey-doke, must get into a nice steamy shower and then have breakfast. Let's make this a good one, Goils!

Kaylets
11-27-2005, 08:45 AM
Although I didnt wear a pedometer yesterday my guess is I got in at least 2 miles... and perhaps more.... for sure, it was more sustained movement than in a long time.... and wound up w/ some wonderful buys as in our area the Goodwill had all clothing 1/2 off... I did the first store by myself as DH showered and then we hit nearly all in ouir area ... Total spend was aprx $40
spent about $40 and wound up w/ 3prs of jeans, one
full length dress coat, one gorgeous all season funeral/wedding dress, one
white "fisherman" sweater, one shorty navy "blazer" w/ a faux velvet collar,
one big shawl to wear over coats, a tote bag, and 4 shirts for DH... one
looks like its n ever been worn and is for his "dress up meetings"-- I could barely move when we got home.... can't believe we promptly sat and watched back to back episodes of American Chopper ( Orange County Chopper) and then crashed in bed.....
I guess its one way celebrating the holiday...
hee hee....

We did try a place for lunch we 've never been .... Moe's Southwest... lots of of options... beef, chicken or TOFU .... not sure about the overall calorie intake but I think we did well .... and we used a coupon too.. which they gave us a full meal off rather than 1/2 off so that was lucky too...

so...

this am, 2 small loads of wash already run thru the machine... one of them my "trenchcoat" .... one load of dishes, and already drinking the decaf tea....

so far, its looks like it will be warmer today which I appreciate....

These below freezing temps take some getting used to....

Amarantha2
11-27-2005, 09:57 AM
:welcome: Arabella to the day-at-time thread and what a great idea to use the time dh be off to the (shiver) Yukon (wow, from the perspective of sittin' here in Arizona with all the heaters on 'cause the temp's in the 70s, that really soundeth COLD) as a hocus pocus focus focus ... Core is a great program ... rock on!!!!

:queen: K excellent work yesterday on the two mile walkabout/sustained movement!!!! And congrats on the good buys and the good food choices at the new restaurant.

TODAY IS THE 25th (I think, please correct my math if wrong) DAY IN THE COUNTDOWN TO THE SOLSTICE. LET'S MAKE IT COUNT ... THIS BE A DAY-BY-DAY THING, METHINKS, AND, HEY, WE CAN DO anything FOR JUST ONE DAY. Right?

Too right.

I'll be back later with my daily self-challenge and a report on my weight goal.

deleted2
11-27-2005, 01:24 PM
I've been preparing some foods for this coming week, a pot of brown rice, a southwestern bean soup, some macrobiotic rice balls, some azuki bean brownies, and some chocolate covered [malt-sweetened of course!:D ] almond butter-spirulina patties. Trust me they taste infinitely better than they sound! I got one of these things ant the store and then decided to duplicate them at home. Mine are better!;)

Turned the roasted potatoes and onions, succotash and leftover seitan and gravy into a nice stew last night. Really good--tastes like Thanksgiving in a bowl!

Still haven't exercised today. Confession time: Haven't exercised in the last 2 days.:o And I feel creaky! So today I pledge to do Pilates, yoga and upper body weights. I'll come back with my report later!

How's everyone's plans developing for this week?

Amarantha2
11-27-2005, 02:18 PM
Sis boom 'n bah, Chef E be in the house!!! I love how you have prepared good food for the week ahead, E!!! Congrats on thy plan for the day!!!!

Ok, here's where the "emergency, emergency, emergency" part comes in for me. It's my November goal day and I'm up another .40 ... now this is ok, considering how high I was eating and how much sugar in the days before this thread started. BUT, it's not acceptible and I'm in better control now, one day at a time. I'm setting another two-week weight goal: 136 by December 11, Fitday PC says 1695 cals per day (which I take to mean an average for the week, sometimes up and sometimes down), should do this!

ANYHOW, ONE DAY AT A TIME: So my Sunday challenge is again TWOFOLD:

I want to do way better cal wise than last Sunday, so Item No. 1 is to eat no more than 1695 cals; Item No. 2 is a 20-minute light general weight workout (I'd forgotten until I checked my Fitday that I'd decided to add that in each Sunday); Item No. 3 is NO REFINED SUGAR (orange juice permitted).

A subgoal, not part of my Sunday challenge is to experiment with some kind of sweet biscuit out of 100 percent stone ground whole wheat and maybe orange juice, since I have a lot of that on hand.

EMERGENCY, WILL ROBINSON, EMERGENCY!!!

Guys, I do NOT intend to get to the end of this year without reaching my original goal of 135 ... after that I'll go for the other 10 I now have decided to lose.

ONE STEP AT A TIME, A DAY AT A TIME!!!

We can do it!!!

If not now, when?

Again, I am lookin' back over the last year and what I said at the beginning of 2005. I HAVE made progress, but I have a ways to go. I will NOT live forever (not meanin' to depress anyone, but there it is) ... if not now, when? :)

wsw
11-27-2005, 03:39 PM
today, will finish up with regular exercise plus some extra back stretches; so far 2 out of 3 meals were small, healthy portions with no dessert/sugar; and plan the same for 3rd. still have to do meditation tape. definitely always good to be reminded we can do anything for just one day, amarantha! kaylets-what great bargains. arabella-that idea of yogurt treat, stevia-sweetened does sound good. i sound like i cook and know what i'm talking about when i say that, though (lol!), and i really don't. only make very basic, simple kinds of meals, actually. eydie-your cooking ideas always sound so delicious too. i actually do have some good cookbooks so don't have too much of an excuse not to get more adventurous. maybe i will just break down after all and try to make a few items which have sounded good to me. i will experiment on some brave friends, and see how things go. one other element which i plan to add to my food plan in general, in addition to remaining as sugar-free as possible, is to eat less red meat. i don't eat that much of it as it is, but i lean more towards vegetarian meals automatically anyway, and now plan to make more of a concerted effort in that direction.

Amarantha2
11-27-2005, 04:21 PM
Excellent goals for today, Wsw!!! :cheer:

Let's go, Daily Challengers!!! Sis boom 'n bah!!!

Amarantha2
11-27-2005, 09:18 PM
Sunday report so far: 20 minutes light general weight workout completed; no refined sugar, none in house so that's in the bag; cals at 1357 and may have something later, but no danger of going over, so that's in the bag! Will return in a.m. with my new challenge ... two production days coming up ...

Kaylets
11-28-2005, 05:32 AM
Hello all!
The dreaded Monday after the holiday is upon us....
Trying to ignore the clutching stomach feeling .... Its worse for DH than me anyway, he took the entire week off ( but really how much damage could be done in 3 days) and for me.... its just the idea that I had 4 days in a row and didnt get as much done as could have..... but ....

Its FORWARD! FORWARD! FORWARD! I say... not to look back, not to feel guilt, not to dwell and wonder!!

This is a classic that most of you might have seen but is perfect for Monday after the holiday.....

Thought of the day:

Recently I overheard a mother and daughter in their last moments together at the airport. They had announced the departure.

Standing near the security gate, they hugged and the mother said, "I love you and I wish you enough". The daughter replied, "Mom, our life together has been more than enough. Your love is all I ever needed. I wish you enough, too, Mom".

They kissed and the daughter left. The mother walked over to the window where I was seated. Standing there I could see she wanted and needed to cry. I tried not to intrude on her privacy but she welcomed me in by asking, "Did you ever say good-bye to someone knowing it would be forever?". "Yes, I have," I replied. "Forgive me for asking, but why is this a forever good-bye?".

"I am old and she lives so far away. I have challenges ahead and the reality is - the next trip back will be for my funeral," she said.

"When you were saying good-bye, I heard you say, 'I wish you enough'. May I ask what that means?". She began to smile. "That's a wish that has been handed down from other generations. My parents used to say it to everyone".

She paused a moment and looked up as if trying to remember it in detail and she smiled even more. "When we said, 'I wish you enough', we were wanting the other person to have a life filled with just enough good things to sustain them".

Then turning toward me, she shared the following as if she were reciting it from memory.

'I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright
I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun more.
I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive.
I wish you enough pain so that the smallest joys in life appear much bigger.
I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.
I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.
I wish you enough hellos to get you through the final good-bye.'

She then began to cry and walked away. They say it takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to appreciate them, a day to love them, but then an entire life to forget them.

Send this to the people you will never forget. If you don't send it to anyone it may mean that you are in such a hurry that you have forgotten your friends.

TAKE TIME TO LIVE.....

To all my friends and loved ones,

I WISH YOU ENOUGH

HERE WE GO MONDAY!

Just today, all we have to do is today! I like that Empress!

Hello to all!

KETTLE IS ON!

Amarantha2
11-28-2005, 09:46 AM
"Just today, all we have to do is today! I like that Empress!" ~ Queen Kaylets!!!!!

Too right, Kaylets! I like your Thought o' the Day story and your 'HERE WE GO MONDAY' attitude! Thanks for the reminder that we can DO ANYTHING ONE DAY AT A TIME!

Amarantha2
11-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Yo, or should I say, "Ho!" As in "ho, ho, ho" ... it's almost Christmas ... or Winter Solstice, whichever floats thy boat. Jolly Elf Empress Amarantha hath been ruminatin' that this EMERGENCY DAY AT A TIME CHALLENGE was begun with only the long weekend in mind, but the thought now, for Elf Amarantha, is that, well, the DAY-BY-DAY reversal o' this state o' physical emergencyness (Will Robinson) has to go on if the Winter Solstice, to be followed by Santa Day, to be followed by, you guessed it, 2006, is appropriate.

So, reminding meself that this is the first day o' the rest o' my life in 2005 and that I don't WANT any depressin' weight/mind/bod surprises come the first day o' 2006, here's my FIRST DAY O' THE REST O' MY LIFE MONDAY CHALLENGE, one day only, and I can do anything for one day, right!

TODAY, FOR ONE DAY ONLY, I WILL PLEDGE TO EAT IN THE 1600s AND I WILL EAT NO REFINED SUGAR (except orange juice).

I will return to this thread to report on the results of this challenge.

This is my one-day Monday gift to myself. I don't need a reward.

Anyone else with a gift to themselves of a ONE DAY MONDAY CHALLENGE?

:gift2: :gift2: :gift2: :gift2: :gift2: :gift2: :gift2:

Arabella
11-28-2005, 11:13 AM
Fly-by report: Did almost perfectly yesterday (ate sitting on couch watching movie, but first contracted with self to legislate eating only same amount as would eat at table). Today's challenge (getting a sloooow start) is to walk to gym and do weights, do yoga, either tai chi or qi qong. Meditate. Same food/water plan.

Let's hit it!

Amarantha2
11-28-2005, 04:22 PM
Fly-by report: Did almost perfectly yesterday (ate sitting on couch watching movie, but first contracted with self to legislate eating only same amount as would eat at table). Today's challenge (getting a sloooow start) is to walk to gym and do weights, do yoga, either tai chi or qi qong. Meditate. Same food/water plan.

Let's hit it!

Great work, Arabella!!! Love the way you contract and legislate with self!!!

Yeppers, we're hittin' the ground running, here, pards!!!

A day at a time! :carrot:

deleted2
11-28-2005, 05:09 PM
coffee w/ 1/2 and 1/2
ww tortilla w/ spinach and cheese
whipped cauliflower

chocolate-spirulina patty
1 rice ball

4 ww crackers w/ cashew butter
seitan-veg. stew
2 ww fruit-sweet. fig bars

2 ww / horseradish cheddar and ff cheese
clementine

water: 7 glasses
calories: 1485
exercise: 20 min. yoga
15 min. Pilates

wsw
11-28-2005, 08:08 PM
finished up challenge yesterday on target, and today as well. no sugar/dessert; small healthy portions, exercised, and meditation tape. lost 2 lbs. this past week--finally!

Amarantha2
11-28-2005, 08:50 PM
Yo, to E 'n W (Wsw, that is!!) ... looks like the two o' ye had excellent challenge days. E, I love seein' your menus, they inspire me to think of new recipe ideas!!!

I am likely done eating at 1593 cals, but if I eat something else, it'll be small as I'm not hungry, so my 1600 cal (or less) challenge be in the bag, ditto no sugar as there be none in the house. I have no exercise challenge today.

I will go ahead and declare this day a success and post my challenge for tomorrow: TO GO TO MY CYCLE/ABS & CORE/STRETCH CLASS AT 5:30 A.M. ... just getting back into this after the flu and it isn't high on my list of things I want to do, but THIS IS AN EMERGENCY, WILL ROBINSON, and I will go and do it!

Part II of my challenge, eating no more than 1700 cals!

Part III ... NO REFINED SUGAR!!!

Thought I'd get all this in tonight as tomorrow's a production day and I need to stay focused, travel and NOT GET OFF TRACK AS I WAS LAST WEEK 'CAUSE ... YOU GUESSED IT, THIS IS AN EMERGENCY!!!

I hereby pledge that I will successfully complete my TUESDAY CHALLENGE. I can do it ... it's just one day!!!

Kaylets
11-29-2005, 05:41 AM
HEllo all!

Dragged myself sheepish and full of excuses to the monthly weighin....
Couldnt force myself to stay for the meeting... officially at 150 lbs per their scale, evening, fully dressed.... translation.... at the most I;m really 3lbs less....which is still up above my goal weight...

SO>>>>

JUST FOR TODAY!!!

Here we go Tuesday, here we go!!

Thought of the day :

"Luck effects everything. Let your hook always be cast;
In the stream where you least expect it there will be a fish."
Ovid (Publius Ovidius Naso)

Question of the day :

"What's more important, skill or luck?"

KETTLE IS ON!

wsw
11-29-2005, 09:36 AM
will keep same goals for today. for now, i'm keeping it as simple as possible. amarantha, hope that nasty flu is now a thing of the past for you! have a good morning, all.

Amarantha2
11-29-2005, 10:52 AM
Kaylets, no worries about being above goal weight, 'cause, hey, it just makes the challenge more fun!!!! What joy is there in always being at goal? Hey, I think the journey is more exciting when we have something to strive for. You are doin' fantastic. Sis, boom, bah and HERE WE GO, TUESDAY!!!

Wsw, congrats on thy consistent set o' goals! Great idea to keep it simple!!!!

Actually, thy regards re the flu leads me to a confession o' total failure on one of my already posted Tuesday challenges. I still don't feel well and could not get out of bed to go to the EXERCISE CLASS!!! So there's a daily challenge failure, however, it's the first I've had since this thread started, so I don't feel too bad.

I AM HEREWITH RENEGOTIATING MY PERSONAL TUESDAY SELF-CHALLENGE TO SIMPLY 1) Eat in the 1700s or less and 2) eat no refined sugar.

Exercise can come or go at its leisure.

HERE WE GO, TUESDAY!!!! Yep, K, that's what I say (too, like you).

LET'S MAKE THIS THE GREATEST CHALLENGE DAY YET!

Hocus pocus focus focus!!! :wizard:

aria2000
11-29-2005, 01:50 PM
:balloons: Hello everyone!
Is this challenge (that I just found, by the way!) still going?
Count me in:
Yesterday ~ 1705 calories (anything below 2000 is a victory :lol:
Today ~ I plan to eat only when hungry and I have a difficult day so far (stress!) and it is not getting better!

wsw
11-29-2005, 04:13 PM
hi aria-sorry your day is/has been stressful!

amarantha-i hate that you are still feeling lousy. nasty flu be gone!!!

Amarantha2
11-29-2005, 06:41 PM
:balloons: Hello everyone!
Is this challenge (that I just found, by the way!) still going?
Count me in:
Yesterday ~ 1705 calories (anything below 2000 is a victory :lol:
Today ~ I plan to eat only when hungry and I have a difficult day so far (stress!) and it is not getting better!

You, :queen: Aria!!! :welcome: Yup, we seem to be still in Emergency Day-At-A-Time Challenge Mode these days and glad ye're with us!!!! CONGRATULATIONS ON THY YESTERDAY'S CALORIC VICTORY!!!!! Sorry thy day be stressful so far ... mayhap the night will be wonderful, though. :carrot:

Amarantha2
11-29-2005, 06:43 PM
hi aria-sorry your day is/has been stressful!

amarantha-i hate that you are still feeling lousy. nasty flu be gone!!!

Preciate thy kind words and the "begone" to my flu demon, W!!! Gad, this is a persistent demon, feels like I'll never shake it, but I will!!!

aria2000
11-29-2005, 08:35 PM
Thanks, wsw and Amarantha!
I am afraid, stress is going to escalate until the week-end!
Only good new things though: just too exciting for my peaceful existence, lol.

Arabella
11-30-2005, 07:32 AM
Fly-by, on the grounds that 'tis better than naught... For several reasons, which I'll detail in the regular thread, didn't exercise yesterday and getting out amounted to a flying visit to the video store and drug store while dinner heated. Nevertheless, I didn't allow thoughts of "treats" to linger, so that's a plus. Today my challenge is to walk to the gym and do the weights and do either yoga or tai chi, plus meditate and socialize a bit, as well as usual food & water stuff. Off to the gym now and have plans to meet sister for lunch, so there's a couple of items almost taken care of... Let's make this a good one!

Amarantha2
11-30-2005, 08:23 AM
Hi, Aria 'n Arabella!!! :wave: I'm in fly-by mode here also, reporting my cals yesterday sort of met the criteria (I can't see my postie) of my revised challenge: 1714, no refined sugar ... it is this challenge that is helping me with that.

Today's challenge: GO TO GYM and do anything at all and NO REFINED SUGAR!

Two parts only as I am not going to do a cal restriction challenge today, though obviously I will count 'em. The nice thing about the DAY BY DAY system is it lends itself to variety.

Today is my gift to myself. :gift2:

aria2000
11-30-2005, 11:27 AM
11.30.05 ~ 1725 calories

Today is my gift to myself. :gift2:

Love that, Amarantha! :sunny:

wsw
11-30-2005, 01:50 PM
met my goals yesterday. keeping goal status quo for today also.

Kaylets
11-30-2005, 08:19 PM
Hello all!

So far, two days in a row .....
Two days in a row Just for Today.....

And believe it or not, ( and I do !)... the scale this morning was down...
but then again, I didnt have anything that makes me bloat .... so could I have dropped 2-3 lbs water .... Sure I could've...

so why do I insist on drinking stuff that makes me retain water and then I just have more and more water on me? Its a mystrey..
I agree...
ANYWAY....

The good news is that I feel more cheerful. Even considering I have still have heard nothing on the job interviews.

And did I mention 2 days of stairclimbing too?? Am very, very out of shape on that one but as the Empress says....( and yes, its so true... JOY in trying to meet the challenge)
It's all about having a reason.

hmmmm.....

Amarantha2
11-30-2005, 10:08 PM
met my goals yesterday. keeping goal status quo for today also.

Great work, W!!!! :carrot: One day at a time, that's the way!!!

Amarantha2
11-30-2005, 10:10 PM
Hello all!

So far, two days in a row .....
Two days in a row Just for Today.....

And believe it or not, ( and I do !)... the scale this morning was down...
but then again, I didnt have anything that makes me bloat .... so could I have dropped 2-3 lbs water .... Sure I could've...

so why do I insist on drinking stuff that makes me retain water and then I just have more and more water on me? Its a mystrey..
I agree...
ANYWAY....

The good news is that I feel more cheerful. Even considering I have still have heard nothing on the job interviews.

And did I mention 2 days of stairclimbing too?? Am very, very out of shape on that one but as the Empress says....( and yes, its so true... JOY in trying to meet the challenge)
It's all about having a reason.

hmmmm.....

CONGRATS ON THE DOWNAGE O' THE SCALE, :queen: K!!! Hooray!!! Excellent work on the two days o' stairclimbin' as well!!! And it's also great that you feel more cheerful ... we trek on, day by day!!!

Amarantha2
11-30-2005, 10:14 PM
Well, I am declarin' the eatin' day over at 2017, which was not a part o' my challenge today, just thought I'd mention it!!!

Challenge completed: Went to gym and did one half hour of weights. I am challenging meself once more to go to exercise class tomorrow, although I still am not feelin' well and may wimp out ... I'm not infectious, according to the doctor, so there's no reason not to go 'cause it'll be good for my immune system or somethin' ... THAT'S THE SOLE CHALLENGE FOR THURSDAY!!!

Arabella
12-01-2005, 07:48 AM
Good morning! Me too, not feeling well. But not feeling totally rotten, probably as a result of all the ginseng, ginger tea, echinacea, vitamin C, garlic galore, water, water, water. Hope that it all results in symptoms scooting sooner too.

Yesterday I managed gym and half my yoga (decided not to do second half later in the day -- I always feel like a wimp to think this, but some of my yoga is quite strenuous and I felt tired and ... just decided to skip it). No excuse for not meditating, though. Did get out to have lunch with my sister.

Oh, on the good front: I FINALLY lost a pound :carrot: Oh, that one was hard fought! Hopefully the rest of them will just realize resistance is futile and leave town.

It's supposed to rain today, so I'm going to try to get out for a walk before it starts. If I don't make it I'll do the step tape. Will do yoga, will meditate. Usual food/water stipulations...

Love to all!!! Let's make this a good one!

aria2000
12-01-2005, 08:44 AM
11.30.05 ~ 1780 calories
Today is an insane day for me but I will do my very best not to overeat.
I don't want to get into details, but my child is involved in something major (something good :) )

Amarantha2
12-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Arabella, if thou canst find a supplement called "Airborne" it has all that stuff in one nice fizzy tablet ... I just love it, although it has sucralose in it, I've been living on it!!! Hope you feel better ... CONGRATS ON THAT POUND AND IN YOUR GYM AND MEDITATION SUCCESSES!!!

Aria!!!! Good calorie count and congrats on the "something good" child front!!!!

Amarantha2
12-01-2005, 11:36 AM
Oh, and I DID make my Thursday challenge, somewhat ... did the last hour o' the exercise class ... abs/core and dynamic stretch. Couldn't see me way clear to do the cyclin' but did go upstairs and do 10 minutes elliptical.

Since I am calling this a successful challenge day, halfway, I AM ADDING A SECOND CHALLENGE FOR THE REST O' THE DAY ... it's the meeting from h*ck work night but until then I'm free ... gonna go shoppin' and have already eaten a bit too much for this time o' day, SO, new CHALLENGE:

1) Buy myself something nice (it IS related to fitness as it's all about feelin' good, right?)

2) Eat in the 1700s or below!!! I have my weekly average just where I need it to be now and can skate a little higher than the 1600s, but I don't want this to turn into an eat-all-ya want fest 'cause o' the meetin' from h*ck!!!

3) No refined sugar ... this is ALWAYS accompanied by the caveat that I am allowed to eat sugar incidental in the production of whole grain bread and also orange juice, which as previously stated is NOT a refined sugar but can act like it in the bod. Nevertheless these items (bread and oj) are useful to me right now.

:gift2: GIFT TO ME!

wsw
12-01-2005, 08:45 PM
ate over cal. limit today---ugh! know why too. i let myself get too hungry and wore myself out doing too many errands, etc. /skipped lunch, and then overate at dinner. did all my exercising though. tomorrow, back to basic food plan and eating 3 moderate meals.

Arabella
12-02-2005, 06:59 AM
Yesterday I did pretty well, except didn't manage either yoga or tai chi. Will do today though, as well as walk to the gym and do weights. Plus usual food/water stipulations (which seem to have become pretty easy -- yay!)

Kaylets, congrats on the release of the fluffy ones!

Let's do this!

aria2000
12-02-2005, 07:53 AM
12.1.05 ~ 1400 calories

Thank you, Athletea! Everything went great and I was even too busy to eat! :lol:

Amarantha2
12-02-2005, 09:27 AM
Sis boom 'n bah, Pilgrims on the Way to the Solstice ... or wherever we are goin'!!!! Thanks be to Wsw, Arabella 'n Aria fer the checkin' and seemingly everyone is goin' great!!! My daily challenge, which I did already, was to go to gym and do 45 minutes ... cardio and weights.

SO, challenge NOW, is to eat no more than in the 1600s ... and of course no refined sugar!!!

Huzzah! Still don't feel well but have to go to work.

Aria, that's a super cal count!!!

Let's go, Friday, as K would say (rhymes).

We can do this!!! I LOVE the Winter Solstice (actually I sort of like Christmas, too, as I was raised to like it and think it's the same thing as the Solstice, only with trees).

Amarantha2
12-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Emergency, emergency, emergency, Will Robinson!!! There are 19 days left to the Solstice!!!!! I know everyone be doin' wonderfully and demonstratin' great hocus pocus focus focus, but, personally, I still need to commit even more strongly, thus I am startin' a new EMERGENCY DAY-BY-DAY THREAD to keep the heavy focus goin' now that it's the dreaded EAT-ALL-YA-WANT kinda day that's also known in my neck o' the diet woods as SATURDAY! Pls join in as ALL GOOD CHALLENGE VIBES NEEDED!!