Simply Filling and Core Recipes - Green beans

View Full Version : Green beans

kimberlydrn
11-23-2005, 11:12 AM
Any ideas of a healthy way to flavor green beans besides bacon grease....that actually tastes good?

Froufy
11-23-2005, 11:13 AM
After you steam them - try to saute them in a garlic (or other) flavored olive oil - I add some sliced mushrooms and onions for additional flavor - and a splash of worcestshire sauce!

YUM:)

Frouf

Vickie
11-23-2005, 11:27 AM
I only eat fresh green beans but I use dill weed! I sprinkle some on top while I steam them or put them in the water if I'm being lazy and boiling them.

septembersgoal
11-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Put some beef boullion in them. Tasty!

patswill
11-23-2005, 12:31 PM
I put a little butter and a packet of onion soup mix - gives them some good flavor.

tennis girl
11-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Here's one that I've skinnied down and still love !

Once you've cooked your green beans that they are still a little bit crunchy... put them in a frying pan with some toasted sesame seeds, dijon mustard and squeeze fresh lemon juice (all - to taste). The full fat version adds butter as well. I will still add a little bit of butter here, but just a dab.

Stir fry for a few moments - and then eat. They are delicious :)

Froufy
11-23-2005, 12:44 PM
Do u "toast" the sesame seeds yourself? or do you buy them already toasted? Sounds delish!!

p.a.
11-23-2005, 01:15 PM
the best way to eat green beans is to cook them in low sodium chicken broth, enough to cover, add a few slices of fresh garlic at the same time. Cook till tender!! No added fat but tons of flavour.

tennis girl
11-23-2005, 01:25 PM
I do toast the seeds myself.

It's pretty simple - I just put the seeds in a dry frying pan, and continue to stir, stir, stir until they start to smell yummy and look nice and brown.

If you don't stir, or leave them on too long, they'll burn pretty quickly - so you just need to keep an eye on them.

The nice thing is you can do this ahead of time, and then just have them ready for when you're putting your beans together at the end of your meal prep :)

kimberlydrn
11-23-2005, 01:49 PM
Wow!!! Thanks for all the ideas everyone!

kaplods
11-23-2005, 03:45 PM
My grandmother used to make green beans with bacon and onion in tomato sauce. It was amazing on baked or mashed potatoes. I make a low fat shortcut version by just heating green beans in a good low fat spaghetti sauce. (and by good I don't mean it has to be expensive, Aldi has a good jarred spaghetti sauce for only .99)

Vickie
11-23-2005, 03:51 PM
I don't think jar sauce is Core but I'm sure we could make one that is!

kaplods
11-23-2005, 05:09 PM
If I have time I do sometimes make my own sauce. I've used stewed tomatoes or diced tomatoes (italian pasta style, from Hunts brand was really good), with sauteed onions and green peppers, cooked with a little water until the tomato pieces almost disintegrate. If I use plain diced tomatoes I just add garlic and italian seasoning...