Old 11-23-2005, 10:11 AM   #1  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

Default Is exercise kicking your butt???

I get discouraged sometimes when I am exercising because I have to stop often during my workout because it is so hard for me. I know that I am completely out of shape but I still want to be able to do more. I feel like I'm not accomplishing much. Yes, I'm sweating like a pig before I'm done but since I have to keep stopping...I just feel bad. It happened to me this morning so I've decided to exercise again later so that I can feel like I accomplished more.

How do you feel when you exercise? Has it gotten easier over time(because I swear I'm never going to be as good as the people in the video)?
teahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:20 AM   #2  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

If it's "hard for you," you're obviously WORKING, and therefore, you ARE accomplishing something! I still hate cardio, and I don't feel like it's gotten "easier" -- but I HAVE significantly increased the resistance on the elliptical, so obviously it IS getting easier (if that makes sense). The #1 thing I've noticed is that my heart rate goes back to normal significantly faster than it used to -- which feels great .

(Sorry to crash the thread)
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:33 AM   #3  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

Crash on Kate. Well, at least I'm glad to hear that it does get easier even if I don't realize it right away.
teahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:34 AM   #4  
One pound at a time...

Teahoney, yes, excercise can sometimes kick your butt! , you have to just keep at it. I know when I first started really excercising about 2 years ago, I had to stop so many times during the class I almost gave up altogether. However, when I was doing a hard workout this past week, I was shocked to realize that not only did I not stop during a particular gruelling workout, I was also able to keep up with the "boys" in the class. Keep at it, you will get there. Your body needs time to get used to the excercise. You slowly start to notice that your endurance and strength. I read an interesting article in our local paper to calculate what your pulse rate should be to be in the "fat burning" zone.

Slow down, burn more fat

The Hamilton Spectator
(Nov 22, 2005)
If you are trying to burn fat and lose weight, you need to slow down your heart rate and work within the fat-burning range.

To calculate your fat-burning rate per minute, subtract your age from 220 and multiply that number by 0.65.

An easy way to determine the range you are working at is to take your pulse for 10 seconds and multiply that number by six.

This will allow you to make any necessary adjustments to receive optimum fat-burning results.

Kate, love the progress pics!
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:54 AM   #5  
Big Ol' loser

When I do the arc trainer or the elliptical it kills me. I do stop on the elliptical and I actually can only do 10 mins. But the first day I could only do 3 mins so I like seeing the progression.
I do know its fun when lifting weight to go from doing 10 lbs to 15 lbs because the weight was too light ya know?
goalnorolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 01:58 PM   #6  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

It gets easier with time, believe me. As you get fitter you'll be able to do more and more, and push yourself harder. It SHOULD be hard work! (but not excessively so - enough to get you out of breath and sweaty though).

The way I see my weight loss is that the first 6 months I didn't lose much but I did a lot of good groundwork in terms of getting my fitness to a level where I could then really kick it up a gear and start burning fat at one **** of a rate. 3 minutes on the cross trainer used to nearly kill me, now I can run 10k in less than an hour (sometimes!)

The only reason I improved is because I STUCK AT IT. It won't happen overnight, but slowly it will get easier and you'll be well on the way to pushing yourself that bit further.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:07 PM   #7  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLabLover
An easy way to determine the range you are working at is to take your pulse for 10 seconds and multiply that number by six.
OR -- if you're as bad at math as I am -- take your pulse for 6 seconds and then multiple by 10.

I know my "10s" better than I know my "6s." Y'know, just add a 'lil ole zero to the end of the number and stuff .

I think/hope that works out the same -- that's how I've been calculating it all along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLabLover
Kate, love the progress pics!
Thanks, Carol. I love your dog!!
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:40 PM   #8  

I have a couple of health issues, like many people here, I am quite a serious asthmatic, and have co-ordination issues due to a mild version of cerebral palsy. I found exercise really hard at first, I felt clumsy and awkward, and sometimes my asthma would mean I had to stop. And even now, sometimes I have to stop. Really embarrassing when you have an asthma attack in the pool!!!! The lifeguards never rescue me, I obviously look an old hand at managing my silly lungs!

As part of my membership, I get free personal training when I want it, and have a session about every two months, and just had my latest one on Tuesday. My trainer was so impressed at the changes in my strength and endurance. He's had to learn my limitations, and learn that I am the best judge of what I can and can't do. I always try anything he suggests at least once. Sometimes it works, other times, it doesn't.

As everyone has said, keep going. It doesn't matter how long you can do it, just do it. And never feel bad for taking a rest, or have a rest and then try some more. have been known to sit at the desk in the office of the gym with a cup of water just chatting or reading, and then going again.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:42 PM   #9  
One pound at a time...

Kate, Thank you kindly!
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:36 PM   #10  
Sick of Fat

S/C/G: 240/183/150

I've only really been back to exercising about a week and a half today. But, when I first started, because I have back problems from a previous accident, I couldn't bend down to touch my toes, or do any stretches that are in the basic bootcamp dvd! You know which I'm talking about. But, now from doing it I can actually do all those stretches without feeling like I'm going to cry! I can touch my toes! haha I can do mostly all my squats as well.

So, from just a week and a half it has gotten a bit easier! It does kick my butt though! Like today REALLY kicked my butt, I just close my eyes, do it, and think of something else while I do it and it helps me. Oh and blaring some fast paced music! haha

Keep at it! We're all here to help ya!! You'll be great soon! Give it time
sabriena is offline   Reply With Quote