South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 10:41 PM   #1  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

Unhappy Maybe it's just me... *sigh*

I'm having a hard time on this program, plan whatever you want to label it. I did Phase 1 for 3 weeks OP and I lost 7 lbs the first weeks and gained back 2.5 the 2nd. So I figured that I would stay on for another to get rid of that 2.5 before moving on to Phase 2 but that didn't work so here I am today, not wanting to go to/stay on Phase 1 but not wanting to consider myself Phase 2 because I'm not sure if I like this "plan". Everyone here seems to love SBD up and down with no problems. Maybe it is just me. I'm toying with the idea of going back to calorie counting and just watching evil carbs (white foods mainly). This may not be the best place to ask this but does anyone else use some SBD guidelines and then just kind of do it their own way? I lost 6 lbs in a month (not much I know) when I was counting calories exclusively without much regard for carb intake (but I was actually upwards of 60 percent carbs). So I wonder if it may behoove me to go back to the old ways with the carb consideration adjustment. Sorry for the life story. I basically just want to throw it out in the air and see what thoughts are on it... I'm not liking OP very much right now and it's not exactly making me feel wonderful and full of energy as claimed.

No one really has to reply unless you understand what I'm saying. Does anyone count calories and carbs (via SBD guidelines as far as ok foods not so much ok amounts)? Or is everyone out there having one slice of bread a day with no fruit? It just doesn't sound right to me. Yes I read the book, yes I've been OP. Does everybody go strictly by the book? Is there really harm in me having fruits daily with whole grain bread or old-fashioned oatmeal (a frequent breakfast for me pre-phase 1 trauma)? I'm shutting up now
Old 11-22-2005, 12:59 AM   #2  
Who needs sleep?

Everyone is different, and what works for one may not work for another. I know some people here use a combination of SBD and Weight Watchers; I think many use the SBD guidelines for which foods and the WW for weigh-ins and portion control.

There are many reasons why people might not lose weight, although the seven pounds was certainly a very decent loss. Before you give it up altogether, you may want to look at what you are eating and how much - it's possible that you aren't eating enough or enough of the right foods. There is a good guide in the FAQ forum - take a look and see if anything looks like it may help.

I think many of us here (me, for example) don't so much see this as a "diet" as we view it as a lifestyle. Losing weight (if you need to) is great, but it's merely a means to an end for me - the "end" being to be healthy.

Regardless of your decision, you should try to keep in mind that slow, steady weight loss is far healthier, safer, and more likely to last than a rapid weight loss (gratifying though it may be to see those pounds melt away). Exercise will certainly help with the weight loss, and it is also an important aspect of a healthy lifestyle.

I hope all this is helpful to you. I know how difficult it can be to get stuck in a weight loss program - it must be even harder when it happens so soon. Hang in there! We're all rooting for you! And if you decide to switch to another program, there is probably a support group around here somewhere for it, as well.

Good luck!
Old 11-22-2005, 05:48 AM   #3  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Shannon, before you make this decision, can you share with us a typical daily menu for you in Phase 1? I have yet to see anyone gain in P1 unless something has slipped in to their menu that shouldn't be there. If we can figure out what that is, perhaps you can figure out for sure if SBD is the plan for you. That'll give you firm information before going forward.

Whatever you do, I'd definitely start P2 today. Being on P1 too long can not only be detrimental to your health, but can make you gain. (However, 2 weeks of P1 shouldn't have lead to a gain.) Try adding one piece of fruit or one good starch each day this week. Only one, the same one, and each day this week to see how you do. Okay? You can also add back exercise (or start), which will help immensely.

If you find that you're eating totally OP and this still isn't working for you, I'd think about talking with a doctor and/or a nutritionist to find out why. There are lots of medical reasons for problems with weight loss and it's worth checking them out to find out if they are a problem for you, okay?

Looking forward to hearing your menu...
Old 11-22-2005, 05:48 AM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Shannon, before you make this decision, can you share with us a typical daily menu for you in Phase 1? I have yet to see anyone gain in P1 unless something has slipped in to their menu that shouldn't be there. If we can figure out what that is, perhaps you can figure out for sure if SBD is the plan for you. That'll give you firm information before going forward.

Whatever you do, I'd definitely start P2 today. Being on P1 too long can not only be detrimental to your health, but can make you gain. (However, 2 weeks of P1 shouldn't have lead to a gain.) Try adding one piece of fruit or one good starch each day this week. Only one, the same one, and each day this week to see how you do. Okay? You can also add back exercise (or start), which will help immensely.

If you find that you're eating totally OP and this still isn't working for you, I'd think about talking with a doctor and/or a nutritionist to find out why. There are lots of medical reasons for problems with weight loss and it's worth checking them out to find out if they are a problem for you, okay?

Looking forward to hearing your menu...
Old 11-22-2005, 06:45 AM   #5  

I go well on phase 1 but always do badly when I start to add phase 2 foods back in.. I have started using a program called nutridiary.com where I add my foods in. I have found that by keeping my carbs to 40%, fat and protein 30% each I feel really good, have no cravings and am losing weight... I also try and stick to my recommended calorie intake depending on my daily exercise level... (the program works it out for me as well)

I love the SBD way of eating.. and it has allowed me to work out which foods feel 'good' and which don't.. like - I really can't eat any wheat products, bananas make me crave really badly, more than one cup of coffee a day seems to make me crave as well, the best fruits for me are apples, oranges and berries etc... my progress has been very slow - but I am feeling much better now that I am also watching my calories.

I would agree that posting your daily menus would be a good way to get some support.. the chickies are so lovely

Good luck and I hope you hit upon the program that is going to make you feel healthy
Old 11-22-2005, 07:14 AM   #6  
I vant to draw your blood

Hi Shannon--

Marianna, Laurie and Heather all had very good advice. May I add my $.02 worth?

Something that I found REALLY helps me is to watch my portion control and to make sure I get those 4 cups of veggies in every day. (Right now, I'm OFF program due to medical reasons, but that's a different story).

This is how I worked it: A portion of meat, poultry or fish should be about the size of the palm of my hand. If it's something like ww spaghetti or something else that's not particularly solid, I would estimate that it would fit into my cupped hand.

And I can't stress enough the importance of those veggies. They really seem to be the key to it all--at least for me. When I eat my 4 cups worth every day, I lose. If I slack off, the scale tells me really quick!

Another thing to think about: How much exercise are you getting? I'm not advocating spending an hour a day in the gym or anything, but try to get in those magical 10,000 steps a day, heft some light weights, and do some stretching exercises several times a week. The more fat you burn as energy is that much less to stay on your body.

Regarding your last question about fruit: According to diabetes experts, eating your fruit about half an hour before you eat any other foods seems to be the most efficient way for your body to metabolize the sugar. It's a complicated process, something about insulin spikes versus a steady level. I don't completely understand it, but I do know that insulin spikes are detrimental to weight loss.

The bottom line is that you have to do what you feel is best for you. If you lose better counting calories and carbs, then go for it.

The thing I like best about SBD is that it is such a balanced way of eating. The only thing that is really prohibited is the junky "white" carbs and once you give them up, they really don't taste that good anyway.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide!
Old 11-22-2005, 07:25 AM   #7  
Who needs sleep?

Thanks for the info on the fruit, Mama - I've been eating fruits, grains, etc *after* proteins, vegs, etc, (or at least with them) so that I had something in my tummy before dumping sugar or starches into it, but it sounds like that's not the best way to do it.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:06 AM   #8  
I vant to draw your blood

Heather, I'll do some research today and I'll post what I find about it. I know I read it in a couple places, but can't put my hand on the info at the moment.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:00 AM   #9  
Who needs sleep?

Well, either way is a lot better than my old OJ & toast for breakfast or candy bar snack!
Old 11-22-2005, 09:21 AM   #10  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

One of the things I find hardest about the SBD is that there is very little accountability. I lost a lot of weight pretty quickly with LA Weightloss but it was expensive and when I stopped I put it all back on plus some. I like SBD because it teaches you to be self disciplined and to learn how to eat healthy for life. The wieghtloss may be slower since I'm not paying 150/ a month to weigh in to someone all the time but in the end it will produce better results I think. And calorie counting is always good, esp to get you familiar with the amounts of food you should be eating. I think once you have that down as long as you are eating reasonable amounts of the right foods you wont have to be so concerned with each and every calorie anymore. Good luck!!
Old 11-22-2005, 09:22 AM   #11  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Hmmmmm. I must say I vaguely remember that but wonder if it makes sense. Fruit causes a spike, IMHO, not the other way around, although whole fruit is much less spikey than juice. I hope you can find the reference.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:44 AM   #12  

Please do post what you are eating. Personally, I eat old fashioned oatmeal almost every morning for breakfast with cinnamon, Splenda and fruit. I usually have several servings of fruit a day. I eat at least one other whole grain starch during the day and sometimes several. If I eat too many starches and don't get my vegetables, then I gain. The key for me seems to be drinking my water and eating my vegetables. I love the food and my stomach is no longer torn up from the fats.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:06 AM   #13  

Scarlett--

I am one of those people for whom doing SBD alone did not work. I do understand and believe that the SBD way of eating is healthful, but the bottom line is that I follow the Weight Watchers program (counting points) and try to make SBD food choices. I am not sure I am even an honest phase 3 but I do make choices like whole wheat or rye bread instead of white, etc. I have learned a lot from reading Dr. A's book and I think that it is solid advice.

However, I will not give up potatoes in moderation. There, I've said it. Life still has to be worth living, right?
Old 11-27-2005, 09:49 PM   #14  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

Thanks everyone for your responses. I was away for the holiday and did not have access to a computer. I am off course so I have no sound menus to post. After reading some of your suggestions I am considering giving SBD another go perhaps, but now is not the best time. It may have to wait a few weeks (until after graduation) when I can have the time to stress over it (I know stress is not a requirement but it is what I do on this plan). Right now I'm a breath away from tearing my hair out as it is so I'm watching calories and carbs until I can give SBD another heartfelt go. Hopefully I will eventually enjoy the successes that you all have. Thanx again!
Old 11-27-2005, 10:12 PM   #15  
Who needs sleep?

I know what you mean. I started SBD in August and was doing well, but then school started taking up too much time (along with DS), and I didn't have the time for all the prep work. We aren't rich, so I couldn't afford lots of pre-washed, ready to eat vegs and such, so we went to a sort of ph3 (with the addition of Essay Fuel, aka ice cream). As soon as finals are over in a week or so, we'll be back on ph1 for 1-2 weeks. After that I'll try to stay ph2 - I'm only taking 11 credits next quarter instead of 15 so maybe I'll have enough time this time around!
Closed Thread