General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 09:03 PM   #1  

Default Sad day for me

I had to "talk" to someone. Today we lost one of our babies "Squirty". She is one of our cats that we have had for several years. We are just at a loss and don't know what to do. To make a long story short, 2 years ago she was hit by a car. We had her all fixed up and made her an inside kitty and she was fine. Sunday she was eating and acted like she got choked and threw up and then layed around for the rest of the day. Monday morning she still didnt feel good so I was at the vet at 7:45 am. The x-rays showed one lung that was fulll of fluid and was consolidated. She also had fluid on her abdomen and they said it looked like a gas bubble in her stomach. They gave her some shots and some meds to take at home and that was it. Tuesday, she acted better. She jumped on the desk to look out the window and drank some water. We were releaved...ahhhh....shes getting better. Come home Tuesday for lunch to check on her and she is just meowing and could not walk and her breathing looked kinda different. Took her to the vet and come to find out she had a hernia. Her internal organs had spilled over in to her chest cavity. They kept her over night with hopes she would get strong enough to try to fix her but she did not make it. What makes it so sad is that we did not make it there in time to talk to her one last time. My husband wanted to hold her when they put her to sleep but that didnt happen. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we are still kind of lost with out her.
People that are not "pet lovers" may not understand but its like my husband told the vet this morning, "We cant have a baby of our own, this was our baby."
Thanks for listen to my vent! You guys are great
Old 11-16-2005, 09:22 PM   #2  
hara hachi bu

I'm sorry to hear about Squirt. She was a beautiful kitty, and it sounds like she lived a long and happy life with people who love her.

This might be cheesy, but it helped me when we lost our dog:

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

(Author unknown)

Be sure to take care of yourself. Grieving is an exhausting process.

Be well ...
Old 11-16-2005, 09:28 PM   #3  
Opulent

Cassandra I am sorry for your loss and echo what Phantastica has shared. What loving parents you and your hubby were to your fur-family member Squirt!

Phantastica, that poem is very appropriate.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:37 PM   #4  

Thank you for your replies. The poes is very beautiful. Of course I hate that it happend but it makes it a little worse because its so close to the holidays. We always made a joke that the kitties were in Turkey coma at Thanksgiving and Christmas. They tend to pass out in front of the oven from the smell and the warmth and they always get turkey and milk as a special treat. Not sure what we're gonna do now. It just seems weird to think that something that happend 2+ years ago would kill her that much later.
Thanks everyone!!!!!
Old 11-16-2005, 10:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 322/255/175

Height: 5'6"

Hi Cassandra,

I'm so sorry about Squirty! Although I have 5 kids, my 3 dogs are my babies and I certainly understand about loving your pets. You and dh will be in my prayers - I've heard the "Rainbow Bridge" poem before, but hadn't read it in awhile - it's certainly beautiful isn't it? And you are right, people without pets may think we're nuts, but we are the lucky ones - to love and be loved by a precious pet is like nothing in the world. God Bless~~
Old 11-16-2005, 10:52 PM   #6  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

So sorry....my pets are my kids, too...
Old 11-16-2005, 11:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 199/196/170

Height: 5'4

hey Cassandra

I know how hard it is We are pet lovers, use to have 4 dogs till one was killed, it was so hard to go through, my oldest dog is 18, same age as my daughter, and she still hangs in there, not sure how we will deal with her death. These guys become family and only pet owners understand. I feel your pain, just try to remember the happy times with Squirty.

Lynda
Old 11-16-2005, 11:44 PM   #8  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 236/236/166

This may not be about pets, but it is true none the less, you need to think of the good times to help you through the loss. As others have said, I'm sorry for your loss as well. When my bunny died this year (he was like a cat to me lived in the house and cuddle on the couch), we read this when my B-O-L buried him for me to help remind me to think of the good times:

"I'll lend you for a little time
A child of mine, God said
For you'll love while he lives
And mourn for when he's dead

He'll bring his charms to gladden you
And shal his stay be brief
You'll have the lovely memories
As solace for your grief

Nor will you give him ALL your love
Nor think the labor vain
Nor hate me when I come to call
To take him back again

But shall the Angels call for him
Much sooner then we planned
We'll brave the bitter grief that comes
And try to understand"
Old 11-17-2005, 12:46 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 227/170/130

Height: 5'2

My heart goes out to you Cassandra - I do hope time will heal your pain.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:24 AM   #10  
Pending Email Confirmation

Sorry about your loss, I know how you feel I lost my first dog 6 years ago tomorrow (19/11) and there is not a day goes by when I don't think about him.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:49 AM   #11  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

Oh Cassandra....I just saw your post. I currently have 4 fur-children myself. I lost Krystal 2 years ago--different overall situation, but her case was related to something that happened a few years previous. I think we all second-guess ourselves when things like this happen--how much sooner we could have done something, could we have done something different. etc. I wish I could give you a big hug because I can just imagine how much that hurts for you and your husband not to have been there with Squirty at the end. OK, everybody can call me crazy, but I feel Krystal on my bed once in a while at night, and I think Squirty is there with you too. You know all the things people say about giving them a good life while they're with us, but it IS true--there are so many homeless pets and every one of them that finds it way into a loving home gets something special from us and leaves us with something special.

Peace to you and your family and Squirty. Tracy
Old 12-07-2005, 02:23 AM   #12  

Default Squirty

So sorry to hear about Squirty. Look at it this way...you probably gave her two MORE years of life after the accident that she might not have had if she had belonged to diff. people than you and your husband. One cat we have now was a rescue...the vet had her recovering for a year in his office because her original owners wanted to put her down because she was so sick and they couldn't pay vet bills. He gave her to a cat rescue operation and we have her now and she is fine. You kept your cat alive 2 more years by caring for her and loving her...that was a wonderful thing to do.

I lost my dog a sweet Lhasa Apso a few years back. What helped me was Dr. Jack Van Impe's video...Do pets go to heaven? The answer is "Yes" and he shows it from scripture and the church fathers. I don't know what you believe about the after life but I found that video/dvd comforting. I don't think it is false hope either.

So sorry again and my thoughts and heart goes out to you

-Judi
Old 12-07-2005, 02:26 AM   #13  
Pending Email Confirmation

How are you feeling now?
Closed Thread