Support Groups - Week at a Time Challenge #21 - 8 Weeks to 2006!

mscat816
11-15-2005, 12:27 AM
The object of this thread is to take on at least one challenge related to your weight loss goals for 7 days straight. Choose whatever inspires you - a certain amount of water intake, no sugar, 30 minute walks, etc.

I will award accolades for each day you maintain your goal(s), and 7 day winner awards and pounds down at the end of the week. We will begin each challenge on Monday - you can choose a new challenge or repeat any challenge for extra mileage. If you would like to stretch yourself, take on more than one challenge.

We will support each other keeping in mind to stay focussed on our successes and/or challenges of the day and week related to our weight loss. There are plenty of threads where a lot of time is spent on personal stories, so let's try to keep that to a minimum.

mscat-
All that we have is right now.
Yesterday is gone, Tomorrow is not promised, and Someday is not a day of the week!

Apple Blossom
11-15-2005, 03:56 AM
Hi! I would like to challenge myself to 1500 cals per day for one week. I am starting a day late, but 6 days will still be tough, and rewarding if I make it. See you tomorrow!

carla49
11-15-2005, 10:12 AM
Yikes! It's time to put my winter-loving money where my mouth is - blowing snow and wind out there this morning. :yikes: It always looks so much worse from my cozy bed. At last - validation for leaving my snow tires on all summer: I'm so far behind I'm right on time!

Apple! A familiar "face". Mscat is a gentle but persistent taskmaster. Always a kind word when we feel we're failing, always arms full of congrats when we succeed. :hug:

This week my challenge will be no "obvious" white flour. Meaning that I won't beat myself up if I eat stew or something that might have some flour hidden in it. A challenge indeed, as I'll be off on a business trip until Saturday afternoon. (At least I don't need to worry about flour hiding in the airline food because there ISN'T ANY AIRLINE FOOD anymore. At least no free food. Only fast-food sandwiches for purchase.) Starting today, of course, because of the little Wendy's incident after spinning last night. This one will be one of the hardest yet for me, hard enough that I think I need a second challenge so I can feel like a success even if my good intentions are wasted paving roads... Challenge number 2: walk at least 5000 steps per day. Also starting today.

I'm not sure how to go back to reread last week's thread without losing this post, so I'll be a little approximate here. Bonnie, was it you who founded the larda** club or whatever mean thing you called some of us? If I keep on moving, I'll have to hand in my membership card! (Don't worry, I expect I'll be with you for some time. Even at my most active - training for a marathon - I was still your basic couch potato. Some of us are just meant to be horizontal. Lying on a recamier or a lounge chair, sipping champers and nibbling bonbons... but I digress. :rofl:

Wow. While I was writing this the snow stopped for a while and is now back in a wetter, pre-freezing-rain sort of way. :yikes: :yikes: There's nothing like freezing rain to make me long for snow...

Mscat, as you can see I haven't cured my little verbal diarrhea problem. :o But I did very quietly meet my exercise goal 5 days out of seven last week. Hmmm. It seems like I have more time to work out when I'm not babbling on at you lot. Who knew?

I may find myself out of touch until the weekend: not taking my laptop, NO internet cafes in Calgary that I've ever been able to find, and I don't know if the hotel will have an acceptably priced business office. I'll try, but... :dunno:

sandybhat
11-15-2005, 10:33 AM
Hi!:coffee: Everybody it is raining heavily today so no point in going out will do my TAE BO. I can only do 30 mts of it but watch the rest of it. my weekly goals r the same doing ex,drinking water.
fish woman you r so good at walking keep it up:D........ I love walking too but just dont have time my 2 yr old keeps me so busy no time.....:wave:so long girls.

sandybhat
11-15-2005, 10:44 AM
I think it is 1of 3 wishes who is walking sorry fish but you r so good yourself doing yoga and all even if you r not walking:carrot::bravo: Thanx for the advice on the portion size and 1 of 3 wishes I got lost reading the thread # 20 when I logged on to #21 I got :?: in names keep walking:carrot::bravo:...........

deleted
11-15-2005, 11:18 AM
:sunny: Good morning, friends! :sunny:

How are you all? I actually finished yesterday with my calories right under 1500 ...YAY!... AND did my water class last night! This morning, I've just finished a 45 minute walk ... I am sickeningly PROUD of myself! :D I am trying very hard to get my motor started again, stay busy and worry less! I will go to the YMCA for weights & biking tonight.

AppleBlossom, welcome to our little group. :flow2: So you will do 1500 calories with me? I like that number because I don't eat so little that I'm starving, but yet lose a sensible amount of weight if I stick with it.

Carla, YES, I was mean and called certain ones of us LAZY BUTTS! :o :D :lol: (Just another term for LARD A****!) Way to go with your exercise last week ... maybe I'm wrong about you!!! :D Seriously, Christmas is coming ... we gotta get a grip, girls, right? I will hate myself in January if I don't get a handle on things now ... :( ... so by gosh, I WILL! :mad:

Time to clean the dirty bedroom, and then go get a haircut. You ladies all have a great day! :cheer:

1of3Wishes
11-15-2005, 04:14 PM
Hi all!!

Wow, another week and I am right on track! Yippee!!

I decided to try to get my walking done during the work day which means walking at lunch as well as both breaks. So, yesterday at lunch I took off for Angel Stadium (I work across the street) and made it 'round the beast!! I only had to walk about 300 steps once I got home, but overshot that and managed to log 10,724!! I also drank all 84.5 oz of water!

Today, the Santa Anas are in full force; very hot & very windy. But I've braved the elements at first break and lunch and am half way to my daily goal.

My 48th birthday is two weeks from today and I sure would love to be able to buy a smaller pair of jeans that actually fit!

Thanks for being here and keeping me honest with myself!!

Elanajel
11-15-2005, 07:15 PM
On track for the water so far.

Also did a good weights workout and signed up for some personal training sessions (40th b-day present to myself!)

Take care, all.

Apple Blossom
11-15-2005, 10:52 PM
Ok, what happens if I mess up? I blew my calories on a chocolate shake. Do I wait until monday or keep trying?

deleted
11-15-2005, 11:08 PM
AppleBlossom, get right back on that horse in the morning! You can do it .... you can still be good for five days!!! Don't let one shake dictate the rest of the week, okay??? We're pulling for you! :cheer:

Okay, guys, I've finished my calories for the day at 1470, and I'm very pleased with that. In addition to my walk this morning, I did almost an hour of biking and weights at the Y tonight! YAY!!! :dance: I'm going to hop up and walk again in the morning, then do another water aerobics class tomorrow night!

We can do it, ladies! Keep on chugging ... :^:

mscat816
11-15-2005, 11:30 PM
I haven't forgotten to give kudos for last week!

Bonnie - Great to have you back and even though you weren't doing a challenge, you made the scoreboard one day.

Sandy :cb: yeah for a whole day of keeping your goals.

1of3wishes :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb:

Fishwoman :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb:

Carla :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb:

And for this week . . .

Apple :welcome2: We are so happy to have you join us - as everyone said keep going - we shoot for the week but everyday is a brand new day.

Bonnie :cp: for Monday

Elanjel :cp: for Monday

1of3wishes :cp: :cp: for Monday and Tuesday!

Have a great Wednesday everyone.

mscat

Sushi Penguin
11-16-2005, 12:06 AM
Just wanted to say I'm back to posting - I had very sporadic internet access in the past 2 months.

Right now I'm working on drinking my water and maintaining a light meal plan, with no sweets/chocolate and such. I'll be adding more soon.

Just wanted to say hi for now and apologise for my long absence. I haven't forgotten you, and I've been sending good vibes full of support. :)

Sushi

deleted
11-16-2005, 12:13 AM
:hug: Hi there, Sushi Penquin :hug:

So glad to have you back ... just on my way to bed but had to say that it's nice to see you here again with us. Wondered where you were hiding your lovely self ...

Good evening to you, Miss Mscat, too! Hope you are having a good one ... :flow2:

sandybhat
11-16-2005, 10:29 AM
Hi! Everybody, :comp:wow!! congrats Bonnie 1of3Wishes
you r doing great!! keep it up........ I am so :fr: of this time because of choclates and cakes they r so tempting I just love them and cannot eat in moderation and this major wt loss of 15 lb I did from feb last yr and again the crucial time is coming I am scared:fr::fr:.........what iz your secret of getting through this time ??
:welcome:Sushi Penguin & Apple Blossom, Apple I fall off the dieting wagon all the time if you too r on the ground pl dont hesitate just climb on......... you r doing so good.
Yesterday watched what I ate and drank plenty of water, was well enough
Today tea so far.......
so long girls got to go for:tread:

1of3Wishes
11-16-2005, 12:32 PM
Just a quick post this morning.

I accomplished 10,264 steps yesterday and struggled to get the last 2,500 of them! Drank all my water!

Today will be really hard as I won't be walking during working hours and will have to do all 100 minutes of walking when I get home tonight. Cheer me on, I'll need all the support I can get!

Hope everyone as a good OP day and you meet all your challenges! :dancer:

FishWoman
11-16-2005, 12:48 PM
Hello all!

I wanted to pop in and say hi! I am doing a 3-part 21-day challenge (no alcohol, 30 minutes exercise, and under 1500 calories each day) and right now can't think of anything to do for the week long challenge! I was going to do no chocolate, but with all my other restrictions I have to have my little square of dark chocolate as a treat (I have 1 square, and it is 26 calories). When I think of something, I will jump back in. I will definitely come up with something by next week's challenge.

I can't believe how close we are to the end of the year. Everyone is doing so great! Have a wonderful day!!!

Elanajel
11-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Success: no eating after dinner last night, and drank lots of water.

So far today: on track with the eating (even tho. I did a big no-no and shopped while hungry--I bought a dark chocolate bar for DH--it is high in antioxidants, after all).

deleted
11-16-2005, 10:37 PM
:grouphug: Good evening, girls :grouphug:

Third day! :dance: Who 'da thunk???? Today's calories come in at about 1450 .... YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't go to water class as we had some stormy weather but will make it up by taking a long walk in the morning. Do you believe this is "moi", Mscat?

Maybe we should all start reporting our weight here on a particular day of the week, if that's okay with Mscat? Somehow if we're not, I don't seem to stay quite as motivated. I really want to try to lose about seven lbs. by December 23, so I am going to set up my own little Challenge within here. I think I will set up a little bar for my Christmas goal after I weigh tomorrow morning so feel free to join me if you like, ladies. :) Or feel free to ignore me .... :D

Have a great evening, all. Trying for day four tomorrow!

mscat816
11-17-2005, 12:23 AM
HI Ladies - I am on track with my exercise - got up and did a 25 minute treadmill workout :carrot:

Sushi :welcome2: back! It's good to have you with us again. Great goals - we are here to support you.

Sandy - Hang in there! :strong: I agree with you this is a tough time. When tempted I try to imagine what I will look like by avoiding such temptations. Also try to remember that this time next year or even as soon as a near future holiday you will be able to enjoy those temptations in moderation.

1of3 - :cheer: for you and all those Wednesday steps!

Fishwoman - :congratultions - you are an awesome example for us one week at a timers!

Elanjel :cheer: for meeting your Wednesday goals!

Bonnie :cheer: :cheer: for Tuesday and Wednesday goals! You rock.

Have a great night.

mscat

Elanajel
11-17-2005, 09:00 AM
Re: posting weight

I weighed 131 yesterday on the scale at my YMCA. It's about 3 lbs. above where I'd ideally like to be, but it's well within my WW goal. SO I'll plan to cut the points back to 24, up the exercise and check again next week Should make a difference.

deleted
11-17-2005, 10:15 AM
:flow2: Good morning, all :flow2:

Elanajel, I am so happy you will join me on my mini-Christmas Challenge ... so we'll weigh in again next Thursday then? Thank you for joining me. I just feel like I need to put up some numbers, and chart some progress since that's what this quest is all about. :) So do you have a nice YMCA? We do here where I live, pretty new, with wonderful pools. How are your personal training sessions going? And BTW, don't know when your birthday is/was, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :woo: :balloons: :gift:

Where's my LB partner, Carla? Are you out there, girl? Keep up that exercising, and make a liar out of me! :p

Here I go to attack day #4. Hope that you will all have a wonderful day!

sandybhat
11-17-2005, 10:42 AM
Hi!:coffee2: :comp:Everybody this is a very good idea of reporting weight and see what the weight will be next week I would be weighing in tomorrow too:goodscale......... would definetly like to be in challenge...
yesterday did 35 mts of TAEBO did good on food and water. outside is 24 degrees dare not take my toddler out.......
so long girls:happ3::wave: back to my TAEBO I want to master it by next Thursday the whole 57 mts of it:crossed:.

deleted
11-17-2005, 10:53 AM
Sandybhat, wonderful! So glad to have you "weigh" with us. Just post your weight tomorrow ... then we'll see where we are next Thursday! Let's perform some magic :wizard: and see some weight vanish! :cp: Sounds like you are doing great with your exercising and water, etc., Sandy. Keep up the good work! :cheer:

1of3Wishes
11-17-2005, 02:17 PM
Hi all!

I don't have anything to report for yesterday. My pedometer went on the blink and the one I bought to replace it will have to go back because it doesn't work either.

I didn't do any walking during breaks or lunch as I was away from the office at a luncheon that lasted 4 hours! This also caused me to not consume the water I normally would. :dz:

I walked at first break, but without a pedometer I don't know how many steps I took. Hopefully I will get everything resolved and be able to post numbers again next week.

Bonniebelle, I'll join your weekly weigh-in challenge. I better write myself a note to remember! So I will be able to report some kind of number!! :)

'K ladies, I don't feel great about this post, but I'll keep at it!

carla49
11-17-2005, 02:36 PM
LardButt reporting for duty. :lol: I'm still out of town, but decided I couldn't live without contact so brought the laptop I've had almost no time to use... This will be another short post.

Sushi, good to see you back on line! It's so weird when people suddenly disappear, and so nice when they equally suddenly return to the fold. :hug: :hug:

Progress so far: I started this week's goal this Tuesday, and on Tues and yesterday I pulled off the no-white-flour challenge against all odds. Today, so far so good. I got in my 5000 steps yesterday, but not Tuesday. By the time I got into town and into my hotel room, it was time for the Biggest Loser, and then time to sleep. I won't post more now: gotta go out to look for some non-white-flour food and walk those steps and then back to work.

Catch y'all later. :wave:

Apple Blossom
11-17-2005, 02:54 PM
Hello! I have decided that since I can't seem to STOP EATING I will just stick to my 21 day challenge for now. I would say I'll try again on Monday, but next week is Thanksgiving and there's just no way.....so hopefully I'll see you all the Monday after Thanksgiving! Thanks, and good luck to all of you!

deleted
11-17-2005, 06:12 PM
Mscat, you have a P.M. from me ... :-)

1of3, great to have you along on the Christmas Weight Challenge with us. The more the merrier! :-) Good luck ....

LB Carla, glad to see your smiling face! Hope you have found something yummy and non-white flour for your repast!

AppleBlossom, will look forward to seeing you after Thanksgiving. Fishwoman, see you on Monday! :-)

I just did a 50 minute walk and am getting ready to go to the Y for biking and weights. Mr. Scale better drop by tomorrow!!!

Have a good evening, all!

deleted
11-17-2005, 09:59 PM
YAY for moi!! :D Not only did I take a long walk this afternoon, but I did go do the hour of weights and biking. :dance: Just did a BubbaBurger (with jalapenos ... they are spicy, and delicious!), and a bag of frozen veggies for my dinner. Tasted SO GOOD after all the exercise this afternoon and evening. I put Worchestershire sauce, garlic salt and coarse-ground pepper on on my burger before I cook it, and it's so great that way!

After I have my two Snackwell's Oreos with a cup of coffee, I will come in at 1550 calories for the day, and that's fine! :) So much better than I was doing a week ago.

I hope all of you are having a good evening!

carla49
11-18-2005, 12:22 AM
Bonnie, next week I'll add myself to the Thursday weigh-ins. Right now I don't have access to a scale. :shrug:

Today was a sh***y day, but you guys are lucky: I already unloaded on the other thread. Be glad, be very glad. ;)

About 7000 steps today, and still no white flour that I know of. I felt a little silly at breakfast (provided as part of the conference) taking my egg benedict off the muffin and scraping off the sauce, which didn't leave much. I confess adding a few home fries did make it better... I think next week it'll be fried foods that bite the dust. Home fries are not necessary in this life, just a bad (and fairly new) habit.

Keep smiling all! :D

mscat816
11-18-2005, 12:36 AM
Hi Ladies - What a great idea Bonnie has for a Christmas Challenge! My goal is to increase my challenges every week until Christmas and lose 10 lbs!

Today I finally lost the 10 lbs I gained when I went to Houston! I am back to 232! I overslept and didn't have enough time for my treadmill workout but I did 60 girlie pushups and 100 crunches. Also got in 64 oz of water :cb:

Elanjel :cb: what would I give to be 151 let alone 131. As a matter of fact I would be a rail at that weight. How tall are you? Did you lose all your weight with weight watchers?

Bonnie :cheer: for today's goals and :bravo: for inspiring us all to get on the Christmas bandwagon.

1of3 :cb: hang in there - you are doing great - This challenge will help us all make our weekly goals count for something.

Apple - we'll be here when you get back!

Carla :cheer: for making your white flour challenge - I did no white processed food for 3 weeks when I was reading High Voltage's book "Energy Up!" and lost 18 lbs!

Sandy :cheer: you are awesome - Tae Bo your way to a better, healthier body. Mmmm perhaps I should break out my Billy Blanks tape too!

Have a great Friday ladies!

Sushi Penguin
11-18-2005, 06:52 AM
Hello Ladies :)

What can I say...?
Thank you for the welcome back. :)

I'm working full time now (until mid-January), sitting down all day in front of the computer and spending over 2 hours each day commuting, also sitting in the car. I leave around 7:30 am and seldom get back before 6:30 pm, too tired to do anything. Can't descibe how my body is feeling - stiff, sore, stiff, sore, stiff, sore... ugh. I can't even skate because of how far the rink is in this city. Add to that staying in someone else's house and not having much freedom when it comes to storing and cooking my own food, and you'll see where I am with my weight loss efforts. I think I've gained back every single pound lost over the summer and, after months of wowing "no", I had to go buy some new clothes just to have something wear to work (can't do up the buttons in any of my old "smart" shirts and blouses).
I'm trying - I'm watching what I eat, I signed up for yoga and am starting tennis lessons. But it's just not enough, just not my lifestyle. I need to be out and about and moving.

Anyway, I'll stop ranting.

What do you think of this mealplan?

Breakfast - whole wheat toast and yoghurt, cup of coffee OR small bowl of fibre cereal OR toast, fruit, milk
Snack - carrots (3 medium ones), sometimes a skinny latte
Lunch - small "coffee" cup of miso soup and about 3 cups of various fruit (cantaloupe, strawberries, grapes, pineapple)
Dinner - sushi (surprise! :lol: ), usually 2 rolls - they're a bout 3 inches long, rolled in seaweed, not too thick, and I have salmon and avocado or shrimp and avocado or seaweed

sandybhat
11-18-2005, 10:31 AM
Hi! :coffee:Everybody! todays weighin is at :carrot:154.2 lbs.:carrot:
yesterday did 40 mts of TAEBO and 30 mts of abs and arms with tamlee web:bravo::bravo:. For Breakfast ate :T2 egg white 1 wheat toast with 1/3less fat cheese cream and 1 cup milk with coffee and splenda. Then went shopping late lunch was 2 home made skinny tortillas and chickpea soup, and tea in evening and dinner was a chinese buffet ate little bit of everything I liked their lots of fruits from the dessert bar. and I have already put my wt at the top.
Today tea so far........so long girls got to go and do exs:wave:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar013/flower01/lb/170/120/154.2/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

1of3Wishes
11-18-2005, 12:14 PM
Good Morning!!

My weigh in weight this morning is 199. My scale is old and analog; I'm hoping to get a digital sometime soon. In the meantime, I will work with what I have.

After whining about my broken pedometer(s), I went to Target and bought batteries for the old one....and what do you know!, it works again!!! Oh, the wonders of new batteries!

I walked in the morning without logging and figure I got at least 2,000 steps; steps after lunch equaled 3,389. So all told my estimate for yesterday is approximately 5,500...I'm estimating office steps and steps taken at home in the evening. Water intake was marginal.

I don't know if I will walk today, it is hot (already over 70 degrees at 8am) and very windy....again! Story of the week.

I will work on my eating plan this week. I bought the book "Eating Right 4 your Type", based on eating for your blood type.

Wishing everyone a good weekend! :hat:

deleted
11-18-2005, 04:40 PM
:flow2: Hey, ladies ... how are you all today? It's cold here in Raleigh, and I love it!

Sushi, I think I would add some protein to your menu at lunch, like a couple hundred calories of cheese or cottage cheese or lean turkey breast from the deli or something like that. The protein really helps to curb hunger; if I cheat myself on protein early in the day, I am ravenous by dinner and eating everything in sight. Have you tried fitday.com to see the suggested food pyramid for a day? I just tried that site last night, did the free thing, and I really like it. (You have to fiddle with it a bit; I had to have "help.") I've been dieting for so long that I'm pretty knowledgable about nutrition, but that's a great site for people who have questions about what they SHOULD eat.

So happy to have all you ladies jumping on this Christmas Challenge with me ... I would love to eat 24/7 :o but I just have to get a little tougher with myself. It won't be so lonely or so hard if we come together to talk about it every day. I've had 700 calories so far today, and will save the rest (800) for dinner with my DH tonight.

We're all doing really well with our exercise, aren't we? Go, girls! :cheer: Have a great Friday evening.

mscat816
11-18-2005, 05:19 PM
Just a quickie before I go off to my Toastmasters' Conference. Got in a 20 minute workout this a.m. and another 1/2 mile walk this afternoon on the way to lunch :carrot:

Sushi - we are so glad to have you back :hug: Sounds like you are really challenged. Let us know how we can support you! I agree with Bonnie about the protein. You need it to build muscle (as it replaces fat) and it will also help you feel fulfilled.

1of3 :bravo: for being in "onederland."

Sandy :bravo: for your weight! 150 is my goal - I have a long "weigh" to go but you give me hope.

Thank you Bonnie and everyone for breathing new life into this thread and stretching our weekly challenge beyond the current week!

Sushi Penguin
11-19-2005, 06:15 AM
Hello Ladies :)

Re: protein, that's tough. I'll try to have Brie on toast (with strawberries - YUM!) for breakfast a couple of times per week, but that's it. My dislike for any and all meat is growing stronger and stronger... I can hardly eat chicken anymore. Is seafood (shrimp, mussels, squid) good for protein?

I used Fitday in the summer and found it very helpful, but the problem I have here is that every single product has nutritious information in kilojoules, not calories. And I wouldn't be able to keep up with logging everything, just don't have the time to spend online.

I've been thinking about my challenge for next week, but haven't decided on anything yet. I'm sticking with getting the water in, no sweets, and no food after 7 pm, but those don't really feel challenging anymore. Something more challenging would be nice, but at the same time I want to be sure it's not too challenging, so that I don't end up not doing it because it's too much.

Perhaps a bike ride each morning? Especially since next week I won't need to leave until 7:50 am or so. I went for one this morning, and it was fun, only my second bike ride in YEARS, and I didn't get as exhausted as last time. :) There is a nice bendy dirt road just around the corner. The goal would be to improve my time and not have to stop to rest too many times - going there is tough, as it starts with a hill and then most of it is on a slight incline, but coming back is just cruising along.
Tomorrow is Day 5 of my new 21-day challenge (running), and my leg muscles are really sore. So perhaps I should challenge myself to do some stretching as well...
I'll give it some more thought. :)

I so wish I could get below 60 kg by Christmas... but I don't think it's going to happen. I just don't know how I could achieve it, none of my recent efforts seem to have any effect. And in my current situation it's just not possible to work on it as hard as I did over the summer. But then if I did achieve that, then maybe I'd be able to start believing again that I actually can lose weight? So the question is... HOW to get there?

Ladies, tell me, what do you suppose would be a realistic time frame for me to get to 130 lbs and then 120 lbs (from about 144 lbs right now)? You're so much more experienced than I am when it comes to fighting the pounds. I don't know, maybe I just want it happen too fast. But then is it wrong to want to see at least 1 pound gone each week?

troubled and confused Sushi...

deleted
11-19-2005, 11:47 AM
:flow2: Happy Saturday, ladies! :flow2:

The first pound of my Christmas Challenge is OFF! (I know Wednesday will be our OFFICIAL W-I day, but we can discuss our progress daily as we will be too happy to keep it to ourselves! :D)

Sushi, I am excerpting part of an article for you (and everyone) below, from Harvard, about what we need to eat daily. You can ignore meat, but NOT protein ... which you can certainly get from seafood, eggs, cheese, beans, etc. A pound a week is a good loss rate, and you will achieve that by eating somewhere in the range of 1200 to 1800 calories a day, depending on your weight and exercise.. Excellent articles on what you need to do (counting calories, calorie charts,etc.) can be found at about.com in their health & fitness section, with helpful calculators, etc. Good luck to you, and your bike ride sounds great! :)

Have a great day all ...........:cheer:

Building a Better Daily Food Pyramid

From EAT, DRINK, AND BE HEALTHY by Walter C. Willett, MD
copyright Simon & Schuster 2001.

The Healthy Eating Pyramid sits on a foundation of daily exercise and weight control. Why? These two related elements strongly influence your chances of staying healthy. They also affect what and how you eat and how your food affects you. The other bricks of the Healthy Eating Pyramid include:

Whole Grain Foods (at most meals). The body needs carbohydrates mainly for energy. The best sources of carbohydrates are whole grains such as oatmeal, whole-wheat bread, and brown rice. They deliver the outer (bran) and inner (germ) layers along with energy-rich starch. The body can't digest whole grains as quickly as it can highly processed carbohydrates such as white flour. This keeps blood sugar and insulin levels from rising, then falling, too quickly. Better control of blood sugar and insulin can keep hunger at bay and may prevent the development of type 2 diabetes.

Plant Oils. Surprised that the Healthy Eating Pyramid puts some fats near the base, indicating they are okay to eat? Although this recommendation seems to go against conventional wisdom, it's exactly in line with the evidence and with common eating habits. The average American gets one third or more of his or her daily calories from fats, so placing them near the foundation of the pyramid makes sense. Note, though, that it specifically mentions plant oils, not all types of fat. Good sources of healthy unsaturated fats include olive, canola, soy, corn, sunflower, peanut, and other vegetable oils, as well as fatty fish such as salmon. These healthy fats not only improve cholesterol levels (when eaten in place of highly processed carbohydrates) but can also protect the heart from sudden and potentially deadly rhythm problems.

Vegetables (in abundance) and Fruits (2 to 3 times). A diet rich in fruits and vegetables can decrease the chances of having a heart attack or stroke; protect against a variety of cancers; lower blood pressure; help you avoid the painful intestinal ailment called diverticulitis; guard against cataract and macular degeneration, the major cause of vision loss among people over age 65; and add variety to your diet and wake up your palate.

Fish, Poultry, and Eggs (1 to 2 times). These are important sources of protein. A wealth of research suggests that eating fish can reduce the risk of heart disease. Chicken and turkey are also good sources of protein and can be low in saturated fat. Eggs, which have long been demonized because they contain fairly high levels of cholesterol, aren't as bad as they're cracked up to be. In fact, an egg is a much better breakfast than a doughnut cooked in an oil rich in trans fats or a bagel made from refined flour.

Nuts and Legumes (1 to 3 times). Nuts and legumes are excellent sources of protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Legumes include black beans, navy beans, garbanzos, and other beans that are usually sold dried. Many kinds of nuts contain healthy fats, and packages of some varieties (almonds, walnuts, pecans, peanuts, hazelnuts, and pistachios) can now even carry a label saying they're good for your heart.

Dairy or Calcium Supplement (1 to 2 times). Building bone and keeping it strong takes calcium, vitamin D, exercise, and a whole lot more. Dairy products have traditionally been Americans' main source of calcium. But there are other healthy ways to get calcium than from milk and cheese, which can contain a lot of saturated fat. Three glasses of whole milk, for example, contains as much saturated fat as 13 strips of cooked bacon. If you enjoy dairy foods, try to stick with no-fat or low-fat products. If you don't like dairy products, calcium supplements offer an easy and inexpensive way to get your daily calcium.

Red Meat and Butter (Use Sparingly): These sit at the top of the Healthy Eating Pyramid because they contain lots of saturated fat. If you eat red meat every day, switching to fish or chicken several times a week can improve cholesterol levels. So can switching from butter to olive oil.

White Rice, White Bread, Potatoes, Pasta, and Sweets (Use Sparingly): Why are these all-American staples at the top, rather than the bottom, of the Healthy Eating Pyramid? They can cause fast and furious increases in blood sugar that can lead to weight gain, diabetes, heart disease, and other chronic disorders. Whole-grain carbohydrates cause slower, steadier increases in blood sugar that don't overwhelm the body's ability to handle this much needed but potentially dangerous nutrient.

Multiple Vitamin: A daily multivitamin, multimineral supplement offers a kind of nutritional backup. While it can't in any way replace healthy eating, or make up for unhealthy eating, it can fill in the nutrient holes that may sometimes affect even the most careful eaters. You don't need an expensive name-brand or designer vitamin. A standard, store-brand, RDA-level one is fine. Look for one that meets the requirements of the USP (U.S. Pharmacopeia), an organization that sets standards for drugs and supplements.

Alcohol (in moderation): Scores of studies suggest that having an alcoholic drink a day lowers the risk of heart disease. Moderation is clearly important, since alcohol has risks as well as benefits. For men, a good balance point is 1 to 2 drinks a day. For women, it's at most one drink a day.
O

sandybhat
11-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Hi! Everybody:wave:, Bonnies article is very informative, sushi pl dont be disheartened you wont believe I am beating around wt 154 for weeks now sometime I put on 3 lb make it go 157 then again I slowly come back to 154 in 2 weeks I too got tired and wrote in one of my postings that wt loss has become boring....... but now this challenge of writing the wt and then see how much I loose in a week has again charged me and has motivated me a lot:strong:. Yesterday I fought my craving of eating junk and choclate twice I am proud of myself today:bravo::bravo:....... I hope I am able to loose a pound at the end of this week.
so long girls...got to go:tread:

deleted
11-19-2005, 12:20 PM
Sandy, I am popping back in to say I'm so proud of you for fighting those cravings .... Good luck this weekend! :hug:

carla49
11-19-2005, 11:12 PM
Mscat, where would I get that High Energy book? I'm seriously thinking of expanding the no white flour to no white food, and need some inspiration. (I bought two pairs of slightly too-tight pants I want to be wearing by Christmas...) Enjoy your Toastmaters' conference. Is it out of town?

Sushi, Bonnie is right: you need to make sure you get enough protein. Sushi is all very well, but white rice is not very nutritious. You don't need to eat meat, there are lots of soy products (isn't Japan pretty much awash in tofu?), dairy is good, eggs if you eat them. And seafood and shellfish is excellent.

So far, with today, I have 5 days no white flour, 3 days at 5000 + steps. :carrot: :carrot: (Today was a wash on the bonus challenge.)

I have a sneaking suspicion I may be back under 200.... :crossed: tomorrow will tell. But I won't be changing my ticker until I finish a 21-day challenge, which could take a lot more than 21 days at my speed. Bonnie, I'll report on my weigh-in and will join in on the Thursday weigh-ins. That was one good idea you had there! And congrats on that first pound off!

I'll be back tomorrow: it's getting to be time to hit the hay - it's been a long day. :wave:

deleted
11-20-2005, 12:17 PM
Good morning, ladies :sunny:

Hope your weekend is going well. Mine is fine, though I did blow my calorie goal yesterday with going to a football game AND having company for dinner last night. But I had five days under my belt, and today I will definitely hold the line, so that should give me six out of seven days to be proud of, much better than I've done in a long time! :D I am going to a college basketball game today, but I will have just a hot dog ..... no hot chocolate, no popcorn! :no:

:flow1: Attention, puh-leeze, girls................. If it's okay with you, we will weigh in on Wednesday next week. I have to leave Wednesday morning, and will not be here to weigh Thursday morning. And really it doesn't matter which day as long as we keep it the same every week, after the first weigh-in. Is that good with everyone???? :^:

Carla, pulling for you to be back in Onederland! :) Mscat, hope your conference has gone well ... you're as busy as a whirlwind! :flow2:

Lator, 'gators! :cheer:

carla49
11-20-2005, 01:24 PM
Hello from Onederland! (Again.) The Wednesday weigh-in is fine with me - it'll give me less time to slip and go back to the terrible twos... Bonnie, we seem to be neck and neck: I weighed in a hair under (or over, depending on scale placement) 199 this morning. If I can just keep at it and get under 190 by Christmas, it might pull me out of these blues that just won't quit. The next few weeks are going to be quite a challenge though, with all the Christmas invitations starting, so maybe the idea of sticking with the no-white-flour (maybe no-white-foods-at-all) is a good one. Paired, of course, with no alcohol. :tantrum:

Be careful with those hot dogs - they're good but oh-so-addictive. I didn't renew my membership to Costco, but kept finding reasons to drop in for their giant hot dog and bottomless diet coke... notice the past tense. I hope your Wed and Thurs absence is for something enjoyable. :hug:

sandybhat
11-20-2005, 03:00 PM
Hi Everybody AS I told everybody that I am going to my country that my father is very sick and is hospitalizes well ladies yesterday I got this miserable news my Dad is no more he expired yesterday morning I am so............ miserable........ dont have anything to report...........
so long girls

mscat816
11-20-2005, 04:36 PM
Hi Ladies - I am sooo happy to report my Toastmaster's conference was a great success. I am the Division F Humorous Speech Contest Winner! :carrot: And I was able to get in a 20 minute treadmill workout before I left yesterday!

Bonnie - :cheer: for another successful goal day and :woo: for your pound down! Wednesday weigh in is fine - are we keeping "hump day" as the weiigh in day each week or do we want to make it on Monday when we start the new thread after the holiday? Either "weigh" is okay. Thank you so much for outstanding article.

Carla - :cheer: you rock with your 5 days of no white flour and :bravo: for being in onederland again! Energy Up! by High Voltage (yes that is her name) can be bought supercheap from Amazon. I found it in our local library. Let me know if you decide to do the no white processed food. I am ordering the book on Amazon and considering doing it again. My Toastmasters' conference was in town - which made it great for me.

Sushi - I agree with everyone - the experts say anything more than 2lbs a week is usually not healthy and doesn't stay off. Your goals are more than reasonable. Keep that in the forefront and do the things you need to do to make it happen.

Sandy - I am so sorry about your Dad. You and your family are in my prayers.

Have a great Sunday ladies.

deleted
11-21-2005, 02:29 AM
Sandy, I am so very, very sorry about your father. I hope good memories of special times with him will help to ease your heart now and as times passes. You are in my thoughts and prayers. :grouphug:

Mscat, I like your idea, after our initial weigh-in this coming Wednesday, to do our official weigh-ins on Mondays when we start a new thread. That makes sense to do both at the same time! That will work out great ... thanks! :hug:

Carla, I absolutely LOVE hot-dogs. I don't care what's in them or how bad they are for you, I just HAVE to have one now and then, rat hairs, pig snouts and all! :D

I'm afraid I was a bit over on my calories today, but still that gives me five out of seven days to feel good about last week! I'll take that .... and except for Thanksgiving, maybe I'll do even better this week! I wish you all the best this coming week, and will wait to post again on our new thread.

Let's start the week off right, ladies! :cheer:

Sushi Penguin
11-21-2005, 07:02 AM
It's getting late here, so I won't write much... It's Monday evening for me, actually. It wasn't a great day challenge-wise, as I had some sweets and didn't get the water in. I was sort of thinking of jumping on the stationary bike in the morning, but I didn't because I wasn't feeling too well (and ended up going home from work early because of that). I haven't had any coffee though - that's one of my challenges for this week. It's either yucky instant coffee or a latte here, and who wants the calories that even a skinny latte contains?
Tomorrow will be better though. :)

sandybhat
11-21-2005, 10:12 AM
Hi! Everybody, Thanks Mascat and Bonnie for the prayers I am passing this time only through good memories of my Dad and Mom,Its tough for me being the pampered one in my family I couldn't be around for either one of them when they were sick and needed some pampering. Any how with the overwhelming grief I am doing good on food and water I have not given in to that I will be exercising today ( I didint do ex on sat and sun } but life has to go on........so on wednesday maybe I will be a pound less hopefully.
so long girls.........

deleted
11-21-2005, 10:53 AM
:hug: :hug: Sandy :hug: :hug: I understand what you're saying, Sandy. I am the second-youngest of seven, and my Mom and I were so close when I was growing up. Now she is in a nursing facility, and I live the farthest away, and I hate it! Others can go daily to see her if they want, but I can only make it for a couple of days every three weeks or so, and feel I should be there more! Of course, she is in no pain and doesn't know (Alzheimers), but I KNOW! :( Your friends here are certainly thinking of you ....

Girls, you will note that I've dropped pound #2 on my Challenge. YAY!!! :woo: If I'd been as strict as I'd should, it would be more! :dizzy:

Mscat, forgot to say CONGRATS :dance: on winning your Toastmaster's contest! You are awesome ... :hug:

Sushi, today will be better than yesterday for you, I'm sure, and I certainly hope you are feeling better! :^:

Carla, we are running neck and neck pretty well, though we are fellow LARD-BUTTS! :D Glad you are back in Onederland again! It is so good to feel that scale go down a bit after my upward climb for THESE MANY MONTHS now!

Now I really will wait for the next thread .... Let's do it this week, ladies, except for Turkey Day! :thanks1:

FishWoman
11-21-2005, 11:43 AM
Sandy - my condolences. I am so sorry about your father. :hug: You and your family are in my thoughts. Hang in there, sweetie.

Betty925
11-21-2005, 11:49 AM
I was trying to think of what I could do for my challange. I really really hate water and it is hard thing for me to do so I decided to pick as my chalange that I would drink 64 ozs of water or more every day. I love my diet cokes and when I drink those I don't drink ANY water. For the most part, the only time water touches my lips is when I brush my teeth. So here goes.... :happ3:

P.O. How do I put a personal singnature on here? I tried copying and pasteing but it did not work.

Elanajel
11-21-2005, 02:17 PM
Goal for the week:

4 days of exercise between today and next Sunday.

No eating after dinner.

Enjoy the holiday, everyone!

FishWoman
11-21-2005, 02:33 PM
My challenge for this week is to eat at least 5 servings of fruit/veggies daily. I think I currently eat just enough to not get scurvy :)

mscat816
11-21-2005, 03:38 PM
DON'T POST HERE - GO WEEK AT A CHALLENGE #22 - 6 WEEKS LEFT FOR THE CHRISTMAS CHALLENGE!
mscat