Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 12:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 272/245/174

Height: 5'10

Default Newbie Guy on Core

I just signed up for WW for probably the 10th time yesterday. I had started working on my weight in late July by exercising and by making some modest diet changes. The weight has been slowly coming off that way, and my general level of fitness is much, much better because of all the exercising (Nautilus circuit and eliptical trainer). The key to sticking w/ the exercising is that my wife comes with me 3X/wk. She has done a great job getting my butt to the gym. She wasn't really overweight, but she really looks fabulous with all of the work that she has been doing

But, I am still WAY too heavy, and I recently learned that I have a hiatal hernia and gastric reflux disease - - so now that I am almost 44 (one week from today), years of obesity have caught up with me. I knew the exercise alone wouldn't cut it, and I went to WW.

I love the core program so far. I had tried it about a year and a half ago, and thought it was pretty good. But, I didn't stick with it for long (just a few weeks). This time, I'm going to try to give it a good run. I know that I need the structure and the support.

I'm looking forward to week 3 when I can start to use all that exercising to earn AP's!

Wish me luck, ladies (and any other guys who may be here besides me, although I suspect there aren't many!)
Old 11-09-2005, 01:17 PM   #2  
Southside White Sox Fan

Danny, you're our only guy but Welcome anyway! We are a great bunch of ladies, if I don't say so myself. No sniping here or nastiness or Core police. I think you'll like it here. I've lost 45 pounds so far and have another 115 to go. I've been obese all my life too, and at 49 am starting to pay the price also. I'm not giving up this time, though. Come hang out with us. We celebrate and try to keep each other motivated and comforted. We spend most of our time on our Core Board thread. I think we are on 32 right now. We also have a profile thread where we post a bit about ourselves. You can read about us there and maybe post your own profile too. Good Luck. I LOVE Core and will eat this way the rest of my life.

P.S. Sounds like you have a Great Wife!
Old 11-09-2005, 01:18 PM   #3  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Talking

HI Danny and - glad to have you aboard!

Sounds like you have a plan and are doing great - lucky for your your dw is helping you along and encouraging your exercise efforts - they will surely pay off in the end.

Sorry to hear about the hernia and reflux - but hopefully these can be come a thing of the past? (probably the reflux - not so sure about a hernia tho?)

Glad you are enjoying core and feel free to post along with us on our chat board #33 - you may also wish to visit our Coreporate profiles thread, read about us and post one of your own!

Good luck!

Froufie
Old 11-09-2005, 01:31 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie

P.S. Sounds like you have a Great Wife!
Don't I know it! Thanks, Vickie

And, thank you, Froufie. My Dr. says the hiatal hernia is very small and amount of GERD can be controlled w/ medication - but weight loss really aggravates it a lot and can make it worse.

danny
Old 11-09-2005, 01:45 PM   #5  
Livin' La Vida Mocha

Welcome Danny! I started doing Core about 6 weeks ago, and so far so good. I think it's great that you and your wife work out together- good luck with your journey!
Old 11-09-2005, 01:53 PM   #6  
Southside White Sox Fan

I actually think I remember you from this board way back when I started.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:58 PM   #7  

Could be - I originally started about 2 yrs ago and was doing well for a while. Around the summer of '04, I stopped posting, stopped exercising, stopped dieting, and you know the rest . . .

Old 11-09-2005, 03:10 PM   #8  

You are right, Vickie - just went back and searched, and found a message from me welcoming you to the Core Support Group in Sept '04. I thought it was longer ago than that, and I had actually forgotten that I used to post to this group! I'm glad to see that you stuck with it and have done well! I hope I learn from that example.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #9  
Southside White Sox Fan

Wow! I guess my memory is better than I thought. I started the end of September 04. I actually hoped to be further along than I am right now. I've got a few medical issues happening so I'm not exercising but I'm still eating Core and holding my own. I hope to be at my goal by December 31, 2007. It's wonderful to have such a great support system to help me get there. I count the people here as my closest Cyber friends! As a matter of fact, I share more with them than with some of my in person friends.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:31 PM   #10  

Don't sell your victory short, Vickie - 45 pounds in a little more than a year is fantastic. Take it from me - I'm probably 35 pounds heavier than I was when you first joined here! Let's think of where we'll be a year from now!
Old 11-09-2005, 04:21 PM   #11  
focused and aiming

welcome back. i joined just a few months ago. this is a fantastic group of folks. my husband is "loosely" doing core with me. i'm going to tell him you're here. maybe your influence will help him.

i'm proud of you for taking charge of your health. you get an "attaboy."
Old 11-09-2005, 05:15 PM   #12  

Welcome Danny! Congrats on getting back on the wagon. My dh also suffers from GERD, and I know how irritating it can be. I really think the weight loss will help.

Keep up the good work, and give your wife a hug for her support.

Angela
Old 11-09-2005, 05:20 PM   #13  

Height: 5'7"

Hey there! I remember you from when the Core board started last fall!!

Well, I'm sorry about your hernia and reflux, but I think weight loss might help both! We are glad you're here and hope you don't mind being called a chickie from time to time! Now we expect you to jump right in and make yourself at home.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:32 PM   #14  
Melissa

Yes, we do have a tendency to refer to each other as "chickies" and say "Hello Ladies!" So as long as you don't mind that, you'll fit right in.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:01 PM   #15  

Thanks, Ladies and Chickies - I promise not to take offense!
Closed Thread