South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 03:20 AM   #1  

Default Zone Diet compared to SBD

Hi everyone!

I've been reading up about the SBD and it sounds very familar to the zone diet. Focusing on low glycemic carbs. The ultimate reason you lose weight on the zone is from counting calories. I was wondering what the differences are between the Zone and SBD.

I found this on the net...

The basis for the Zone diet, by Barry Sears, Ph.D. is that if a person eats the correct ratio of carbohydrate to protein to fat (40/30/30), s/he will improve his or her health, weight, and athletic performance, because certain hormones will be balanced and therefore in the preferred "zone." The hormones he focuses on are insulin (necessary for glucose to enter our cells) and eicosanoids (hormone-like substances that regulate inflammation. Some eicosanoids are by-products of metabolism.).

Sears alleges that the American public is overweight due to a high intake of carbohydrates, and that this style of eating causes an over-production of insulin. In addition to causing weight gain, excess insulin leads to an imbalance in eicosanoids that he links to other aspects of ill health, such as heart disease, cancer, and arthritis, among others. The solution, Dr. Sears offers, is to eat a lower carb, higher protein, and moderate fat diet to balance these hormones within the preferred "zone."

The positive part about the Zone diet is that it encourages its followers to eat often throughout the day — at least every five hours. It also eliminates foods many people overeat, such as sweets, chips, certain starches, and, of course, junk food. It concentrates on including a number of healthful foods — low glycemic fruits and grains, vegetables, lean proteins, and monounsaturated and omega-3 fats. (Low glycemic foods, such as cherries, grapefruit, nuts, and lentils, don't cause blood glucose levels to increase quickly, and therefore require lower levels of insulin than higher glycemic foods, which include white potatoes, corn flakes, and dates.) The Zone diet works for its followers because it is actually a low calorie diet. For instance, the sample meal plans for an average woman totaled approximately 1200 - 1300 calories per day. Most women would lose weight at this level of caloric intake, regardless of the source(s) of these calories.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:21 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

There are definite similarities. However, the calorie intake in the Zone is too low IMHO. It also seems very complicated whereas South Beach is simple. Here's a link to its description on the home page here. http://www.3fatchicks.com/diets/zone-diet.php

Let's face it - any diet plan will work if you stick to it.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:15 AM   #3  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

I tried the Zone and was so hungry I couldn't think of anything but food. 1200- 1300 calories a day will cause anyone to lose no matter what they're eating. SBD is much simpler and just as healthy. And it's the one diet that I don't feel like I'm on a diet on.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:28 PM   #4  

I don't follow the calories suggestion on the zone. I try to stay around 1600 calories a day. I also didn't like counting blocks I found it confusing.

I do like a lot of the zone dinners I've prepared. I've greatly increased my intake of fruit and veges and completly stopped eating potatoes, rice, chips ect.

I was attracted to the zone because it promises to keep your sugar level stable and it seems the SBD does the same thing.
Closed Thread