Support Groups - Week At A Time Challenge #20 - Please Join Us!

mscat816
11-07-2005, 03:41 PM
The object of this thread is to take on at least one challenge related to your weight loss goals for 7 days straight. Choose whatever inspires you - a certain amount of water intake, no sugar, 30 minute walks, etc.

I will award accolades for each day you maintain your goal(s), and 7 day winner awards and pounds down at the end of the week. We will begin each challenge on Monday - you can choose a new challenge or repeat any challenge for extra mileage. If you would like to stretch yourself, take on more than one challenge.

We will support each other keeping in mind to stay focussed on our successes and/or challenges of the day and week related to our weight loss. There are plenty of threads where a lot of time is spent on personal stories, so let's try to keep that to a minimum.

mscat-
All that we have is right now.
Yesterday is gone, Tomorrow is not promised, and Someday is not a day of the week!

mscat816
11-07-2005, 04:04 PM
Hi Ladies -

Here are last week's tallys for this week's leaders!

sandybhat :cp: :cp: - 2 days of goals met! and :carrot: 1lb down! Enjoy your week off - we'll be thinking of you.

1of3wishes :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: - 4 days of goals met!

Fishwoman :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: - 4 days of goals met!

I started out the week with Goal #1 - Treadmill workout - only got in 15 minutes (my goal is at least 20 a day) but that is better than nothing at all!

How is everyone else doing as we start out the new week? Have a great day!

mscat-
Yesterday is gone, Tomorrow is not promised, and Someday is not a day of the week!

1of3Wishes
11-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Good Afternoon Ladies!

I waited until the new thread was opened to report Friday's steps. I logged 9,684! Nearly the 10,000 I've set as target for myself!

I wore my pedometer for half the day on Saturday and logged 4,067. Didn't wear it at all on Sunday.

I'm really hurting today and forgot my sunglasses, but have recorded 2,688 steps so far today.

So my goals for this week are to continue trying to acheive and maintain 10,000 steps and consuming 10 - .5ltr (89 oz.) bottles of water a day.

Thought I only needed to get 5 bottles in me so am a bit off ~ only 3 bottles so far, ugh! :dizzy: Better get to guzzling!!

Good luck on acheiving your goals for the week!

Deby

FishWoman
11-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Hello, all! :wave:

I am going to do an exercise challenge this week. At least 30 minutes of activity each day. I haven't done anything yet today, but have a new yoga dvd waiting for me when I get home tonight.

Here's to the start of a great week!

carla49
11-07-2005, 10:18 PM
I'm back on a challenge at last. (I had intended to keep dithering and ditzing for a while yet, but fate has intervened: I had completely forgotten that tonight was my first spinning class :ebike: for the season, but a friend i was talking to complained that she would have to miss the class, and of course once I had been reminded...) :shrug: Anyway, I survived my first one-hour session, and now have an incredibly sore butt. And tomorrow I expect my feet and legs to be pretty vocal. But I don't intend to give up. So the new challenge: at least 30 min exercise per day. Day 1 in the bag. :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

mscat816
11-08-2005, 12:22 AM
Goin' to bed but I see some of us have been busy today!

Carla :cheer: for Monday's goals!

1of3wishes :cheer: for Monday's steps and :cp: :cp: for Friday and Saturday's goals from last week.

Fishwoman- great goals for the week - I hope you get your workout in tonight.

have a great night ladies.

mscat-

sandybhat
11-08-2005, 12:45 AM
-Hi Everybody today was my first day at walk but tomorrow I will be making a bigger circle ( hopefully) did 30 mts of ex.
I am very tired now..... so long girls

1of3Wishes
11-08-2005, 02:09 PM
I'm embarrassed to announce my results from yesterday. Only 4,076 steps, but I did drink 5 - .5L bottles of water!

I'm embarrassed about that, too. I thought that that was more than enough water for the day. WHAT WAS I THINKING?????? Turns out it's only 44 1/2 oz.! So, I'm doubling up on my challenge; 10 - .5L bottles of water or 89 oz.

I'm working towards better numbers for tomorrow already! :dancer:

Deby

FishWoman
11-08-2005, 05:24 PM
Okay, I did not get my workout in last night :( I didn't even get home from work until 9:30 and then I had to eat something or I was going to faint. But I did not go crazy with dinner. I had a very light dinner and then went to bed.

I did get my exercise today though :carrot: 20 minutes of weights, plus 21 minutes (2 miles) on the treadmill.

sandybhat
11-09-2005, 11:24 AM
Hi! Everybody:coffee: I am maintaing my wt right now since the holiday season is approaching there is too much temtation:T in the grocery store trying hard not to slip.:ink:
my water intake has terribly gone down and I have started drinking milk instead of snacking, last night it was horrible I had this craving of popcorn and choclate mixed and for once I got up to satify:devil: this stupid craving then thought better and drank one cup of milk instead thank god I didn't gave in:cb::cp::cp:. Now off to ex.........
so long girls.......:goodluck:

1of3Wishes
11-09-2005, 02:06 PM
I did it!!! and more!!!

I walked 10,323 steps yesterday!

I'm such a goof with the water. 1 pint .9oz = .5L which equates to 16.9oz. I hope I have it straight this time. I chugged 10 bottles yesterday for a total of 169oz of water! What a dope! So my original challenge of 5 bottles was correct, that equaling 84.5 oz.

So keep me at 10,000 steps and swap me back to 5 - .5L bottles of water!

I'll get it right one of these days!

:cb: :carrot: I'm a winner today!!! :carrot: :cb:

FishWoman
11-09-2005, 04:22 PM
I got in my 30 minutes of exercise today :carrot: I went to the gym and did 30 minutes on the elliptical.

1 of 3 wishes - I thought I drank a lot of water, but 169 oz.? You must have been back and forth to the ladies' room all day :lol:

Sandybhat - congratulations on drinking your milk rather than snacking! That popcorn/chocolate combo sure does sound good though!

mscat816
11-09-2005, 10:27 PM
Hi Ladies - it's great to hear from everyone - you all are doing so great. I got on the treadmill Monday and Tuesday a.m. (only 15 minutes each) but today I did a 25 minute workout :carrot:

1of3 - :cheer: :cheer: for Tuesday and Wednesday. I wish I could make a goof like that with my water intake! You are awesome with your challenge - you are meeting the challenge of being consistent.

Fishwoman :cheer: :cheer: for Tuesday and Wednesday. You go girl!

Sandy :cheer: I missed you on Monday! Great idea with the milk substitute. It has been reported that dairy is good for weight loss. I am going to have a glass of milk (warm) before bed tonight instead of poptarts!

Have a great night ladies.

mscat-

carla49
11-09-2005, 11:21 PM
My third day in a row! :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: First day was the one-hour spinning class, yesterday a 2 or 3 hour hike in the woods, and today a more modest 15 minutes on the Gazelle and at least 15 walking. But a 30-min a day exercise challenge is harder than it would seem at first glance... :dunno:

sandybhat
11-10-2005, 11:23 AM
Hi!:coffee: Everybody it feels so good seeing all the bananas dancing in the posts everyone seems to be doing so great myself too but I am like stuck on the same wt for a week now but I feel great since I am not putting on any wt (neither losing....is this a plateau:?:) I have to put in more of everything now minus the food...I suppose:?:.....wt loss is becoming so boring:shrug: thank God I found you all:cb::cb::cb:........
yesterday I had :cp::cp:50 mts of ex:cb: went to mall and bought 3 shirts for myself they r so beautiful. Did house cleaning since my DH will be home today after a week of conferencing........
water intake is miserable:halfempty don't know how you guys can drink so much I just dont feel thirsty......so I keep forgetting to drink my mother too hardly drank any water is it genetics!!
so long girls.........:wave:

deleted
11-10-2005, 12:27 PM
:) Hi everybody,

Hope all ... (Mscat, Carla, 1of3, Sandybhat, Fishwoman) are well, and it sounds as though you're all doing great! :grouphug:

I'm back from my New England trip, and will weigh in officially tomorrow. It won't be pretty :o ... We really ate our way to New England and back for a week! :( But it was wonderful, seeing my DGD, and all that good stuff, so I can live with the extra pounds for a few days!!! :D

I am joining the Challenge for the next four days, if I may. My goal ... 1400 calories or below, some major exercise session every day (45 min. of either water, walking or biking/weights.)

Sandybhat, let's face it ... the REAL determinant of whether we lose weight or not is the old "how many calories IN!" .... much as we hate to face it! :mad: It's good to drink an adequate amount of water, the exercise is necessary for toning our bodies and making us feel firm and flexible but neither has much to do with actual poundage off. It's that D***** food intake that matters, bottom-line! I just hate that awful truth but it IS the awful truth! :dizzy: :o :lol: But we can manage and get control ... all together!

I will be lucky to get back to 189 by Christmas (December 23 to January 3 is my Holiday break from my diet, though I don't really deserve it this year, as I have gained weight since I hit my low of 189 in June .... but you gotta have Christmas, at least I do!) Except for Thanksgiving day, I WILL be good until December 23rd!!!

:cheer: for all of us! So good to be back to our cozy little nest with our dear Mscat!!! :)

1of3Wishes
11-10-2005, 01:24 PM
I walked 10,166 steps yesterday, seems my pedometer & I have an understanding of what it takes to get it done! Also downed 84.5 oz of water (5 - .5L bottles)!

It's raining here today so I doubt I'll get my full amount of steps in. :tantrum:

FishWoman
11-10-2005, 04:15 PM
Okay, I got my 30 minutes of exercise in for today. :carrot:

I ran 5km on the treadmill in 31:42. I was actually hoping to get it done in under 31 minutes, but even though I felt really good and really strong the whole time, that did not happen :)

Welcome back, Bonniebelle :wave: I hope you had lobster and clam chowder while you were in New England! Mmm, chowder.

deleted
11-11-2005, 08:26 AM
Girls, just a note to say that I am NOT going to join the Challenge for the rest of the week. I had big plans yesterday .... but due to trip fatigue and lots of family stress, I managed to blow both the calories and do NO exercise when I found out my exercise buddy had other things to do rather than go to the Y. Maybe I will join you for next week, beginning on Monday. Good luck to all of you!

sandybhat
11-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Hi:coffee: everybody I forgot this a wt loosing thread:) and my writing the wt. loss is boring might have demotivated somebody!! nd nobody knows my basic nature here that I get bored so quickly with the slow pace things move around me:moo: I am a home mom and I have 3 kids 2 go to school and I have 2 yrs old toddler with me athome.please keep motivated as I get bored but I dont quit which I can tell you for sure:dancer:, I am doing 50 mts exs for a year now thats how I could shed 14 lb:dance: My fat is very stubburn as I was born fat and throughout my life till now I am fat but now since I am not quitting I am able to reduce.........keep it up girls:dance:, I can c some of you r amazing with:cp::cp: water and walking:cp::cp: its also fun reading what different people r doing......Bonnie you r right its that food I gobble and the choclates for dessert then:shrug: guiltingly I got walking, next morning my wt is the same.......I dont know the calorie intake as I prepare all the food at home and mostly I am vegetarian I eat egg everyday then chicken maybe 3 times a week but all my food is fried not in oil but in spices as I am from India its very difficult to calculate the calories in a perticular dish then I have very little knowledge about portion sizes:shrug: so you can c its not easy for me.... but I am not quitting girls.....time to :ebike:
so long girls

sandybhat
11-11-2005, 10:36 AM
This weeks goals to walk at least 5000 steps
drink 4 (16 oz) bottles
Lets c if I can accomplish these two first in 3 days.
bye for now

FishWoman
11-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Finished my exercise for today - ran 4 miles on the treadmill in 40:25. Now I am finishing off my lunch - lean cuisine chicken marsala (which is okay, but has green beans, which I am not too keen on) 2 tbs hummus, and celery and cucumber.

Sandy - all I know about portions is that a real portion is almost always much, much smaller than one would think it is, or like it to be :D

mscat816
11-11-2005, 11:46 PM
Hi Ladies - Wow, it's feast or famine with us! I was overjoyed to see all the posts from old and new friends. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Can't stay on long - I am exhausted from a grueling day at work. I conducted single handedly 2 two-hour trainings and I can barely keep my eyes open. Did a late night treadmill workout last night but I don't have the energy to get on the treadmill this evening. But I am down to 232 again :carrot:

Carla :cheer: for Wedesday - way to go!

Sandy :cheer: :cheer: for Wednesday and Thursday! I find you extremely motivating. Hang in there. Plateaus are killers - keep in mind that being stuck is better than gaining. WoW - a whole year of exercise? That is commitment.

Bonnie :welcome2: back! It is so good to have you back with us.

1of 3 :cheer: for Thursday - you go girl. What tenacity you have.

Fish :cheer: :cheer: for Thursday and Friday. You are our shining example of commitment.

Have a great night all!

mscat

deleted
11-12-2005, 08:23 AM
Mscat, did you find the P.M. I sent you? :-)

Have a great day, everyone! I am still struggling .... maybe by next week, I'll have my show on the road again!

deleted
11-12-2005, 02:01 PM
Okay, ladies ... I walked 45 minutes this chilly morning, and so far, after my lunch, I'm totalling about 600 calories for the day... So far so good!

I have my nephew coming for dinner tonight, but I've told him it's a healthy dinner, not a pig-out. My menu is a big roaster (white meat, no skin), rice, baked butternut squash mashed with just a little butter & brown sugar, and a salad. Good coffee to follow ... I CAN DO THAT!

Hope you're all having a great weekend!

mscat816
11-13-2005, 12:25 AM
Hi Ladies - I have been tied up all day shopping and prepping to paint DD room. It's 11 p.m. and I am exhausted. But her room is starting to look like a room again. I am praying the carpet installer can do the job the week of Thanksgiving so we can move everything back in time for holiday company.

Unfortunately, I did not get on the treadmill today :fr: but the moving furniture and painting counts for something. Haven't been on the scale to see if I am maintaining my 232 lbs or gaining. Will check tomorrow and let you know.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Bonniebelle :cheer: for you! I hope you got my pm. Again, it's great to have you back :grouphug:

carla49
11-13-2005, 12:43 AM
After 2 days of sloth, today was on again, with 20 minutes gazelling and a short walk to make a total of at least 30 minutes. So that makes Mon, Tues, Wed, and today - 4 days success out of 6. Fingers are crossed for 5 out of 7 after tomorrow. :crossed:

At my last check-up my BP was very slightly above normal for the first time ever, so I guess it really is time to get serious about this whole exercise/clean living/weight loss stuff. Enough fooling around treading water! Please whip and abuse me if I don't behave! Hmmm.... ;) I might enjoy that too much... :o

deleted
11-13-2005, 11:55 AM
:D Carla, as we say in the South, "You're a mess!" Just call us the LB girls right now ... (that would be LAZY BUTT girls, on some days! :lol: ) I was halfway good yesterday (exercise), made that healthy dinner BUT then drank a few glasses of wine, and ate a chicken sandwich, on top of dinner, about midnight (with my nephew, THE BAD INFLUENCE! :D ) We watched "Saving Private Ryan" in honor of our Vets, and stayed up until all hours .....

But I am back at 200 lbs. today, after shooting up to 202 yesterday ... so maybe I will be back in Onederland tomorrow, after exercising and BEING GOOD :mad: today!!!

Mscat, you are the hardest working woman I know. Don't know where you find all the energy ... :^: but I'm proud of you! Maybe you don't spend as much time worrying about life as I do ... I sure hope so! Because it doesn't solve a thing, does it? :(

Sandybhat, if you will measure all the ingredients in your dishes, then divide that by the number of servings from that dish, you can get your calorie count, by using a good calorie count book. You intrigued me when you said, "no oil but you fried with spices." I was looking at my Indian cookbooks (which I've never used :dizzy: ), and most of them do use at least two tablespoons of oil or more in their recipes. Maybe you do yours differently with non-stick skillet and no oil/fat or something? Anyway, it's not that hard to figure your calories if you make sure you measure the ingredients when you're preparing the dish. But it is a PAIN, I know! But it's the only way I'm successful when I'm intent on losing those pounds. Good luck with whatever method you choose to utilize! :)

Well, ladies, time to think of exercise! You all have a good Sunday ...

mscat816
11-14-2005, 12:31 AM
Hey Lovely Ladies - I am on the couch exhausted! DH had to work most of the day and DD went to church w/a friend. I came home from church and started painting. No exercise but I painted by myself for about 3 hours. I am taking that for my exercise :carrot: Been working on the same 32 oz of water all day :mad: but I ate healthy until this evening when we walked to white castle and I got 3 jalapeno burgers and onion chips :fr:

Mmmm. . . not doing too well on my Christmas goal. Promised my friend that we would start on an eating plan tomorrow. She is doing Medical Weight Loss again - I can't go back to that but I have to come up with something by tomorrow. Wish me :goodluck:

Bonnie - I am standing with you and carla as a part of the lazy butt girls! Gotta get myself in gear too. Let's go for the gold this week. I am thinking about what I am committing to.

carla :cheer: for your workout!

Have a great night ladies!
mscat

Elanajel
11-14-2005, 09:49 AM
My goals for this week: Focus on the water.

No eating after dinner--this is key for me, as in fall/winter, the early darkness seems to drive me back into the kitchen for a big bowl of cold cereal and nuts. Not a bad snack, but not a time I am actually hungry. Time to break this habit.

deleted
11-14-2005, 09:51 AM
:coffee2: Good morning, fair ladies! How are you all?

Fishwoman, I forgot to tell you that I DID eat lobster for you and me in Massachusetts. And it was wonderful! :D Sadly, no clam chowder this time ... but I've discovered some in Gloucester at Gloucester House, on my trip before this last one, that is so good it makes you howl! Can't wait to go back and enjoy it on another trip ... about an hour from my son's home. This is New England style. Normally, I choose the Manhattan and my DH the N.E., but this N. E. is for the Gods! And we had crab cakes in Maryland ... :p

Well, ladies, I managed to get through yesterday with 1800 calories ... GREAT for me lately! :dizzy: I never got out for the walk (am getting ready to go this morning, then I will do a water aerobics class tonight.) BUT I am back to .................... :woo: ............. 199 ................. this morning! :dance:

Mscat, my diet buddy and I are re-starting again today, as well. I've gained back about 10 of the 45 lbs., and I believe she's gained back at least half of the 32 she had lost. So feel free to re-start today with us, food-wise. I MUST be true to a lower calorie count or I will never make any more progress ... I know that! :cheer: So let's ALL do it, LB girls! 1400 calories today (for me) or BUST! :o :cp: :flow2:

Have a good one, all! :flow1:

FishWoman
11-14-2005, 10:38 AM
I hope you all had a great weekend! I did not work out Saturday, but did get in an hour of ballet and 20 minutes of yoga on Sunday!.

Bonniebelle - I only like N.E. Chowder. For some reason I can't stand Manhattan style!

sandybhat
11-14-2005, 10:42 AM
Hi!:coffee: Everybody I had such a busy weekend that had no time to log on, we were unpacking our suitcases to find out what we have as gifts for our relatives back home (at last I am going to India as my father is very sick ) and what we need to buy,then making lists of whom to visit what to take for them by end of the day my brain felt pounded any way we r done now just waiting for next month......... but this week my goals r the same doing my exs focussing on water and choclates :T( we r buying so many for gifts).
Bonnie dear thanks for looking into Indian reciepie book for me but I dont put that much of oil my usual oil is about 2-3 teaspoon just enough to fry cumin and tomato other spices I add later which do not require oil to give out flavour like turmaric,coriander powder, hot spice powder.........then what do you think about the portion sizes. I might be eating too big portions:T and so I am stuck...then I went to this party and only eating dinner :T put me up by 1 pound.... next month I am going to India ( my home country) I dont know how many I will put back on as I am definetly going to :ink:out..........so long:wave: girls back to my schedule of ex:strong:........ tea so far...........

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar013/flower02/lb/170/120/155.2/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

deleted
11-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Sandybhat, I'm sure your dishes are delicious with all those spices. My 38 year old son LOVES Indian food, and has a great restaurant near him that we visited once. Being a very good cook, he's started to try cooking some of his own now. However, my little granddaughter (8), likes all her food white (macaroni, potatoes), brown (hamburger or chicken), and yellow (cheese!) so she is NOT into Indian food! :D Even if we don't add a lot of fat, portion size can kill your weight-loss, when it involves rice, bread, meat, dairy, yadda yadda. :o It's a lot of trouble to measure but the only way to control those calories. Good luck! :dizzy: I'm with you, regarding gaining a few pounds on your trip ... when I travel, I KNOW I will not eat as healthy, but that's okay, and a fun part of travel! :) I am so sorry to hear that your father is very ill ... I know he will be so pleased to have you there with him.

Fishwoman, I will ALWAYS choose the tomato-y version of ANYTHING. That's why I like the Manhattan over the N.E. chowder. In an Italian restaurant, I will always choose the tomato sauce over the Alfredo ............ :)

Now, I must go walk, then hit the grocery stores! :hug: to all my LB pals here ...

1of3Wishes
11-14-2005, 04:35 PM
I logged 10,170 for last Thursday. 3 days at over 10,000 steps each!! I feel pretty good about that! And I got all my water in as well!

Friday, Saturday & Sunday were all pretty much a bust. Didn't wear my pedometer any of these days and was just very lazy.

But today is a new week and I am already half way to 10,000 steps!

I will keep my same challenge; 10,000 steps & 84.5 oz of water daily. My advanced challenge will to actually maintain these numbers for the whole work week; Monday - Friday.

Deby

deleted
11-14-2005, 04:41 PM
:dizzy: I have posted twice today, and neither time did I post my Challenge for the next week. 1500 calories or less a day ............ That is it!

1of3, good that you're back on track today! That's the long-term secret of weight-loss, isn't it? Gotta be able to sin a little, then get right back with it. Have a good week! :)

mscat816
11-15-2005, 12:21 AM
Hi Ladies, I have been so busy I forgot to start the new thread! Okay we are moving right now!

Just let me give kudos to

Elanajel :welcome2: to our little group. Water is always a great goal. How much are you shooting for each day?

Bonnie - :cheer: for successful goals on Sunday and :cb: for getting back to onderland. Sounds like you are having a lot of fun too!

Fishwoman :cheer: for goals met on Sunday!

1of3 :cheer: for all those steps!

Sandy - great goals for the week!

Gotta run - love you all - will get the new thread started in a few!

mscat

mscat816
11-15-2005, 12:24 AM
DON'T POST HERE - GO TO WEEK AT A TIME CHALLENGE #21!