Old 11-07-2005, 12:01 AM   #1  

Default Why is everyone saying low carb is terrible to do?

I wanted some support from my friends at work that I was trying to lose weight and going on a low carb diet. They went off saying how it has been proven to fail and people gain the weight back when they eat even a little bit over the amount of carbs they used to. They said 'studies' sproved that this diet give you a higher risk of heart disease. All they were doing was saying it's nothing but a fad diet. So much for my self esteem and positive attitude towards losing weight. I thought they would be helpful! All they did was make me wuestion whether low carb diets work.
firestrip33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:14 AM   #2  

Location: Originally from Los Angeles but have lived in Northern England for over 6 years with my French husband!

Hi there! Yes low carb eating definately does work if your commited, its true if you fell of the wagon and suddenly ate a huge amount of carbs..like say a pizza you would gain weight extremely fast and probably a few pounds more than what you started at but the great thing about low carb eating is that you can lose the weight again quick if you do mess up..im not saying its a quick fix though for bingeing though because it really can confuse your body which could slow down your weight loss in the short term so if your going to get onto the low carb wagon you need to be prepared to be commited. Its not a fad diet and if you ask any of us here, we all feel healthier than ever eating this way!! If your friends at work wont give you the support you need, you will find it here good luck!!!
sexyshoelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:05 AM   #3  
Baby Steps

If you're looking feel better, lose weight and eat better all while losing weight then Atkins is for you. I've tried explaining my choice by saying: If I was allergic to a certain food then the doc would tell me to stay away from it.....well, I happen to be allergic to eating carbs. (of course--silly me STILL eats it). True, it is not always easy to eat the healthy way. BUT it does make you (and you body) feel and look better. Then again, this WOE (way of eating) is not for everyone and if your friends are skinny then that could be the reason for their critisism. Or maybe they're jealous that you're trying to improve yourself?? Wherever you try to benefit yourself: Good luck!! If you decide Atkins (or low carb) is for you and need support come join us on the weekly/weekend chat threads!! We encourage each other!!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:21 AM   #4  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

That's exactly what happened to me when I started. "You'll ruin your liver", "It'll put you in the hospital". When I replied back that my doctor is the one who suggested it then they usually shut up. I've learned not to try to get encouragement from my real life friends because it just isn't going to happen. I'm not sure if it's psychological or what, but from my experience, not many people that I know are jumping up and down because of my weight loss.

Just hang out in here, girlie. This forum is INDESPENSIBLE to me, without the encouragement and girls in here I KNOW I'd be back to my old ways. Setting goals and being accountable for the exercise and food that I eat has really meant a lot. Do what's right for you and if you have concerns about the diet then ask any of the members here if it's happened to them or consult a physician with your concerns

Lacey
bnbsmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:00 PM   #5  

Thanks so much for the support You have no idea how good it is to hear people say that it IS possible to stick to this way of life. My own family was telling me that nobody ever keeps up this eating style because "they all get sick of it and quit". I have been on this diet for only 3 days, don't think I lost weight yet but I do FEEL good as of right now. I feel so much healthier. See, I do have a binge eating disorder. I would basically eat everything until I was stuffed some days, then spend the other days on very very low calorie dangerous diets to lose the weight I gained...which only caused me to binge more later on. After years of suffering through that I got fed up doing the same cycle over and over again and I needed a change. A way to lose weight that wasn't depriving myself or starving myself like before. This way of eating feels good. I can eat as much as I want of the right foods. Which is good for someone like me who likes to eat. hehe. I will try my best to keep this lifestyle up.

Last edited by firestrip33; 11-07-2005 at 04:03 PM.
firestrip33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:46 PM   #6  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

If you get time, jump over to the atkins weekly chat..we'd love to get to know ya!
bnbsmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:55 AM   #7  
Baby Steps

Firestrip, that is a common way to eat, I guess. I used to (and still fight it to this day. Sometimes I lose...sometimes I win) eat CONSTANTLY (while denying I was eating any more than I used to) and then work on dieting the rest of the time to get rid of it.....which of course never worked for me. It IS true that some people give up. But a lot of people go back to it because they DO lose weight and feel better! Ignore the "man behind the curtain" and decide what you think is right for you We'll be here rooting for ya anytime you want
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote