Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-04-2005, 12:07 PM   #1  
9.95 + S & H

Default embarassed

I'm am SO scared to go back to the gym! I haven't been there in about 8 months and I've gained about 30lbs since then. I know these people at the gym and I know they're going to look and whisper and I just don't know what to do. I've had a lot of life changes since I've quit the gym and I'm ready to get back into shape. I guess I just need a little kick in the butt to get me back there today and re-join. Feel free to say what needs to be said to get me back!
PsycoPhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 12:13 PM   #2  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

No one is going to look and whisper, they're all too concerned with how *they* look. And the only way you're going to get that 30 pounds off is by going to the gym and working out, right? Life happens, and all of those people at the gym understand that. Chances are, they have lives too, and I'm sure they all haven't always had perfect bodies. Obviously they have to work at it too, or they wouldn't be at the gym. Everyone is at the gym to improve themselves, and that's what you're doing too--improving.
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 12:19 PM   #3  
9.95 + S & H

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_elisha
No one is going to look and whisper, they're all too concerned with how *they* look. And the only way you're going to get that 30 pounds off is by going to the gym and working out, right? Life happens, and all of those people at the gym understand that. Chances are, they have lives too, and I'm sure they all haven't always had perfect bodies. Obviously they have to work at it too, or they wouldn't be at the gym. Everyone is at the gym to improve themselves, and that's what you're doing too--improving.
I wish it was just 30 lbs! that's just what I've gained in 8 months! But you made very good points, they weren't always perfect, and they are there to improve themselves. Looking at it from a different perspective than mine is always good!
Thank you!!
Old 11-04-2005, 12:52 PM   #4  
Journey To The Thin Me

S/C/G: 252/234/140

Height: 5'4

I used to worry about what people think about me. That was one reason why I never joined a gym. Not even the women only one here in town. I was worried about what they would say about me or what they were thinking about me. I have finally come to the realization that I really don't care what they think about me. What it comes down to is how I feel about myself and what I am doing to better myself and make me a happier person. If they want to point and talk about me, well then they must have a deeper insercurity about themselves and the only way to feel better is to make fun of someone. Pretty sad when you think about it.

I think you need to get in that gym and work your butt off. Most people are going to see you as a strong indidivual that is trying to improve herself. A woman with a mission. SO I say go back to that gym and hold your head up because with hard work and determination you are going to have that 30 lbs off and then some. THey will look at you and think wow.. she is looking good. She's really working hard.

Just my 2 cents worth. I just think you owe it to yourself to make yourself happy and healthy and not worry about what they think.
AnnieFannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 01:02 PM   #5  
it's always something

I think it's great that you are seriously considering going back. It says a lot about your desire to get healthy, and anyone there who is worth two hoots is going to realize that. I agree with the others, and think you shouldn't worry about it. Besides, if it's been 8 months, they might not even realize you've gained weight. Consider this a brand new start, and good luck
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 01:49 PM   #6  

I used to worry about what others thought about me at the gym as well. But then, I realized that I was also worried about what people were thinking about me wherever I went. The only way I could quell those those thoughts was to take steps to improve myself, and that meant getting exercise.

Everyone at the gym is there to better themselves, at least in theory. No one is better than anyone else in this regard. You don't have a perfect body, and no one there does either. Just focus on making your body better, and not worrying about what others might be thinking about your shape!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 06:31 PM   #7  

Are you going to go to the gym for their benefit? or for yours?
I know it is hard but you are only letting yourself down by not going, why let yourself down! these are mostly strangers to you! yes you may know them but they are not your best friends, family and not in your circle of people you hang with! so who gives a damn on what they think? why punish yourself thinking they are smirking and whispering! when you could go and feel better for what you have done!
It is very very hard! but really look past them and think what you need to do for you!
A lot of people wont go out and do things that will help them to lose the weight (I dread swimming, well not swimming itself, but I dread being seen swimming, but really by going out there I would be helping myself get to my goal)
Maybe if we all put aside this negativity and showed the world fat people can do whatever they want, no matter their size, maybe more would join us and well all wouldn't feel so self concious.

And would you rather go back having gained 30 lbs, or wait anothe year and dread it when you are 60 lbs heavier.(If you have the momentum.. for gods sake USE IT!!!)
icedragon6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 11:52 AM   #8  
9.95 + S & H

Thanks for the advice everyone! I went to the gym last night and signed back up, then I went and bought some new work out clothes and I'll be going to the gym this afternoon! I'm excited - in a terrified kinda way - to go back. No more excuses, no more procrastinating, I'm just going to do it!
Old 11-05-2005, 12:37 PM   #9  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_elisha
No one is going to look and whisper, they're all too concerned with how *they* look.
Exactly!

I commend you. It's hard to go back in that situation, and I'm glad to hear you've signed up and are going this weekend.

Have a great workout!
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 12:46 PM   #10  
Journey To The Thin Me

Congrats on going back to the gym. Let us know how it goes.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:38 PM   #11  
9.95 + S & H

I did it! I went to the gym today! It wasn't so terrible~ There was only about 10 people there . I did 45 minutes of cardio and 25 minutes of lifting, not a bad start. Thanks again everyone!
Old 11-05-2005, 07:32 PM   #12  
Journey To The Thin Me

Congrats. That's great. Keep up the good work.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:22 PM   #13  

This is why I like curves so much. I don't ever feel like people are judging me there since they're all pretty much in the same situation.

Congrats on joining the gym!
Valerie Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:13 PM   #14  
Bread is my Enemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsycoPhat
I did it! I went to the gym today! It wasn't so terrible~ There was only about 10 people there . I did 45 minutes of cardio and 25 minutes of lifting, not a bad start. Thanks again everyone!
Yay for you!! Thats so great to hear! keep up the good work!
BrOOklyN ChIcK is offline   Reply With Quote