Weight and Resistance Training - Protein Powder

View Full Version : Protein Powder

chiarij
11-04-2005, 10:15 AM
Protein Powders..

I read alot of members use this in puddings and protein drinks, my question is how does this stuff taste???? :?:

2frustrated
11-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Some are ok, you really have to experiment! If it's in a cake or something then it's hardly noticeable. If you make a shake with the flavoured ones some people can't stand certain ones. I like the first one I tried so I've stuck with that so far! ;)

JuliaTN
11-04-2005, 11:37 AM
100% Whey Optimum Nutrition Double Choc from GNC is what I use (and like a lot). Like frus, it was the first one I bought so I haven't tried any others. If you do a search for "protein" under the LWL forum there are some other recommendations that sound good too.

funniegrrl
11-04-2005, 12:40 PM
Whey tastes the best, or should I say, tastes the LEAST. Soy tastes like soy milk.

You might check out www.proteinfactory.com. They carry a lot of different forumlas for different needs, and you can custom-blend your own. They also rate the formulas and components on taste, mixability, etc.

2 bt mom
11-04-2005, 12:45 PM
My DS who lifts daily and I have tried both the Whey Optimum Nutrition and the Pro Performance Soy and Whey Protein powders from GNC. The Soy has more of an aftertaste; but I'm using it for personal bone health benefits. I don't think I would try all Soy. I buy Vanilla and make several combinations. "Orange Creamsicle" I use a cup of vanilla SoySlender milk or skim milk, a scoop of protein powder, a cup of crushed ice, a 1/2 tsp orange extract, and a tsp of SF Divinci Vanilla syrup (you may need extra vanilla if you use plain skim milk), and a Tbsp or two of SF Vanilla pudding. blend until it's milkshake consistency. "Chocalate Mocha" a cup of Cappicino SoySlender or LF Chocalate Milk, cup of crushed ice, tsp of SF Vanilla Syrup, and couple of Tbsps SF Chocalate Fudge pudding. If I use use fresh or frozen fruit I usually add some Splenda the amount varies according to the ripeness of the fruit. I make these every afternoon when DS comes in from school.

LovesBassets
11-04-2005, 05:37 PM
I drink EAS shakes every day -- either ready-made or from powder. I LOVE them, but Mel (I think it was Mel :) ) said something about throwing away a few tubs of it cuz she couldn't stand the taste. So I think it's an individual thing. Try a few and see if you find one you like.

And as embarrassed as I am to admit this, I also eat Instone High Protein Pudding. Instone as in Stallone.

Yes, Sylvester Stallone. :strong:

I think they're very yummy :) . So there ARE other options other than actual protein SHAKES.

Suzanne 3FC
11-04-2005, 05:43 PM
I like the Myoplex Lite shake mixes. I don't like the RTD because I like to prepare mine in the blender with ice.

I also buy plain, unflavored VegeFuel soy protein to put in fresh fruit smoothies. You do have to acquire a taste for it, lol, but you really do get used to it. I use the VegeFuel with yogurt, applesauce, splenda, and cinnamon, and enough skim milk to thin it. It tastes like apple pie :)

Mel
11-04-2005, 08:59 PM
:lol: Kate, I bought a whole case of Sly's chocolate protein pudding. I think it's delicious :D

Taste what you want in a protein powder are highly individualized. I use different powders for different purposes. HDTProBlend or HDT whey (vanilla or chocolate) for baking, and SAN Anabolic Fusion for when I'm having a shake. The SAN Anabolic Fusion is a casein and whey blend and the proteins are processed in different ways to control their rate of absorbtion. Some pretein powders have carbs added to make them meal replacements rather than just a protein source.

EAS stuff I coulrn't swallow, and there are few food (can't actually think of ANY) that I don't like.

Also look at the sweeteners. Some use aspartame, some use splenda, some use Acesulfame K, others use combinations. If you can taste the aftertaste or have problems with certain sweeteners, you'll want to take that into account.

Mel

LovesBassets
11-04-2005, 10:13 PM
:lol: Kate, I bought a whole case of Sly's chocolate protein pudding. I think it's delicious :D

LOL, Mel. I just got another case, too!! And I LOVE the chocolate! If you put them in the freezer for a bit, they taste like ice cream! :D My kitten loves it, too -- he harrasses me every time I start eating it (paws flying at the spoon, etc.)

That Sly's a good cook, huh? ;)

Suzanne 3FC
11-06-2005, 04:02 PM
I bet the chocolate would be good. Every vanilla protein product I've tried tasted just like Play-doh.

LovesBassets
11-06-2005, 04:06 PM
Yeah, Sly's vanilla pudding tastes like spackle. Well, tastes like what I would imagine spackle tastes like...having never actually eaten spackle, I can't confirm that 100%. It's very grainy :p .

Meg
11-06-2005, 04:10 PM
The best vanilla protein product I've ever tried is Champion Nutrition's Low Carb Ultramet. It's a LC shake in a packet that you mix with water (I add ice also). It's good enough to drink plain, which is unusual for vanilla shakes.

The juice bar at our gym is making a new flavor of protein shake that's kind of different and really good. They're taking a vanilla protein shake and adding PB and cinnamon. It tastes kind of like an oatmeal cookie -- yum! They're also making pumpkin spice ones, with pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spices, and vanilla protein. :T

2 bt mom
11-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Where can you find Sly's choc pudding??? :)

Sashenka
11-07-2005, 01:01 PM
The only one I can tolerate is Champion Nutrition Strawberry Whey shake. You do not need to add anything to it or you can add some banana and milk. I tried some soy powder and I was gaging from each sip!
Sandy.

Mel
11-07-2005, 02:31 PM
2 bt mom- I buy all my protein powders and the pudding online. I usually order from netrition.com or vitaglo.com. You may find the pudding at a GNC or Vitamin Shoppe so you can sample it without having to buy a whole case.

Mel

GonnaLooseitagain
11-07-2005, 02:36 PM
Would protein powder (or something similar) help on a regular weight loss program to help get more protein? Like for an afternoon snack to help BOOST your daily protein intake? I would like to boost my intake but I dont want to "bulk" up (did that make sense?) Any answers would be appreciated. THanks

LovesBassets
11-07-2005, 03:03 PM
Would protein powder (or something similar) help on a regular weight loss program to help get more protein? Like for an afternoon snack to help BOOST your daily protein intake? I would like to boost my intake but I dont want to "bulk" up (did that make sense?) Any answers would be appreciated. THanks

Yep!! I think I posted before that I have probably 2 protein shakes a day. (Assuming you're a woman -- which I don't know for sure ;) ) bulking up for us girls is VERY hard to do! Unfortunately, this is one of the reasons why a lot of women avoid weight training (I assume that's what you mean by "bulk up.") It would take TREMENDOUS effort for a woman to get seriously bulked up -- I suspect it's a hormonal thing. Protein is OUTSTANDING for helping to build and preserve muscle mass, which is key as we lose weight because we want to lose the fat and not the muscle. The more muscle you have, the more calories your body will naturally burn per day -- this is part of the whole "a quick metabolism is a good thing" aspect of weight loss. Because muscle is metabolically active, it actually needs fuel just to exist, and therefore one pound of muscle burns something like 30 - 40 calories a day just by BEING THERE. My trainer got me started on upping my protein intake the first day I met her. I aim for 100 grams/protein per day.

GonnaLooseitagain
11-07-2005, 03:15 PM
Kate, Thank you....Yes I am a girl, I know my intake is less than 50/day. I would really like to increase that. So I am thinking that I should get some and take like 1 shake per day or something to help me on my weight loss. Can you recommend something that I could blend with skim milk and drink in the afternoons for a 3 o'clock snack? That is when I usually get the afternoon hungries and eat a 100 cal snack so this would fit right in that cal/time frame. Thanks a bunch Kate!!!!

LovesBassets
11-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Kate, Thank you....Yes I am a girl, I know my intake is less than 50/day. I would really like to increase that. So I am thinking that I should get some and take like 1 shake per day or something to help me on my weight loss. Can you recommend something that I could blend with skim milk and drink in the afternoons for a 3 o'clock snack? That is when I usually get the afternoon hungries and eat a 100 cal snack so this would fit right in that cal/time frame. Thanks a bunch Kate!!!!

I drink the EAS shakes. When I use the powder, I mix it with fat-free milk, ice, and (usually) a banana. I think it tastes just like a regular chocolate shake. It makes a great snack! I even keep a ready-made one in my car just in case I get hungry on the road.

I'm pretty sure that one serving of the powder is about 100 calories -- I know the ready-made shakes are 100 (or 110) calories. It really is a great way to get some extra protein in and cut back on hunger -- you probably already know this, but protein takes longer to metabolize and therefore it keeps you satisfied longer. I really love the EAS shakes, but I know Mel (for example) doesn't like them. So try out a few different types to see which you like best.

And seriously, you won't get bulked up. Did you see Demi Moore in "G.I. Jane?" Or that woman in the first "Terminator?" They were both VERY muscular -- but (in my opinion) not "bulked." And I know Demi Moore weight trained something like 4 hours a day for 6 months to get as fit as she was in that film. So don't worry about looking like Rambo :D . It just WON'T happen unless you workout 7 hours a day 7 hours a week. :)

konstine
11-07-2005, 07:41 PM
I've had Designer Vanilla which is pretty gross (IMHO :) ) -- I used to mix it with water, and have it with oatmeal and some honey, which made it relatively edible.

Now, I have chocolate Whey from GNC -- I got a six lb tub for thirty bucks about two months ago, and am slowly - but surely!! - making my way through it ("whey" through it.. :lol: ) ..it tastes ok in water, but tends to get kinda grainy (which I hate, yech)...when it's mixed with regular milk, it's much tastier (like chocolate milk). I usually have it right when I wake up, post-workout, and before I go to bed...

konstine
11-07-2005, 08:09 PM
I've had Designer Vanilla which is pretty gross (IMHO :) ) -- I used to mix it with water, and have it with oatmeal and some honey, which made it relatively edible.

Now, I have chocolate Whey from GNC -- I got a six lb tub for thirty bucks about two months ago, and am slowly - but surely!! - making my way through it ("whey" through it.. :lol: ) ..it tastes ok in water, but tends to get kinda grainy (which I hate, yech)...when it's mixed with regular milk, it's much tastier (like chocolate milk). I usually have it right when I wake up, post-workout, and before I go to bed...

LovesBassets
11-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Where can you find Sly's choc pudding??? :)

I buy mine online like Mel. I kind of cruise around to see what site's having a special on cases that day. When I'm desperate, I buy it from my trainer, but she charges too much for it. <-- And please don't tell her I said that!! She'll make me do walking lunges tomorrow :o !!!

Mel
11-07-2005, 08:20 PM
And please don't tell her I said that!! She'll make me do walking lunges tomorrow

:rofl: The ultimate punishment!

Mel

Sashenka
11-07-2005, 08:27 PM
The only one I can tolerate is Champion Nutrition Strawberry Whey shake. You do not need to add anything to it or you can add some banana and milk. I tried some soy powder and I was gaging from each sip!
Sandy.

2 bt mom
11-08-2005, 12:39 AM
LovesBassets,
I'll never tell :sssh:

LovesBassets
11-08-2005, 07:47 AM
:D Thanks :D ...cuz walking lunges are :devil: !!!!!

2frustrated
11-08-2005, 07:57 AM
Kate :nono: walking lunges are a girls best friend ;) :rofl: