Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-03-2005, 09:59 AM   #1  

Default eliptical or gazelle?

Ok so hubby has agreed to let me buy a new piece of exercise equipment. We have a treadmill but it is extremely old, got it for free at a yard sale about 2 years ago, and it is extremely difficult to use. I eventually want to get a new treadmill but for right now dh said we could do either the gazelle or the eliptical and I'm just not sure which one to choose? Walmart has them both with only a $50 price different so that's not an issue I'm just wondering which is the best recommendation. I have serious knee issues but I am doing well working past them.

Last edited by ambabs; 11-03-2005 at 06:31 PM. Reason: fixing typo
ambabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

I did not like the gazelle for long-term exercising but a cheap elliptical machine might not be the best choice either. My best advice would be to go to the store and actually try out both machines for 10 minutes so you can see which one is more comfortable. Good luck!
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:27 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

Not to rain on your parade but, if you have used an ellyptical at a gym, neither one of these will see adiquate. I've tried some out and felt as if I wasn't even getting a work out. They are in expensive but it might be better to save up and buy a higher quality ellyptical.
jennie934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 04:45 PM   #4  

I own a Gazelle Freestyle (without the resistance) and an Orbitrek Platinum. The Orbitrek Platinum has come a long way since the original Orbitrek and this one gives me a great workout. At first it was hard to do even 10 minutes on it. The Gazelle is way more fun but I never felt like I worked out enough on it or got my heartrate up enough. I think if you get a Gazelle get the one with the resistance. They both run around $200 I think. Good luck with your purchase!
ras8779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 08:44 AM   #5  

I have ceberal palsy and I have a gazelle that I bought at sears it has resistance I love it go to the store and try it out, Good luck Gina
dgjp8991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 10:37 AM   #6  

I would love an elliptical but don't think I'll ever have the money to get a really good one. Are the Orbitrek Platinum's sold anywhere or do you have to buy them on-line? I thought it would be nice if I could try one out because I've only ever used one at the gym and they have the kind with the wheel in the front. Thanks!
mayday is offline   Reply With Quote