Veggie Challenged - Roasting Vegetables

View Full Version : Roasting Vegetables

Chris931
11-02-2005, 06:06 PM
I'm looking for info on how to roast vegetables? Any suggestions? What veggies come out the best when roasted?

Need it to be as low cal/low fat as possible..

Thanks
Christine

marbear
11-02-2005, 06:25 PM
Christine,
You can roast any kind of root veggie (carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, parsnips). I have also roasted asparagus, zucchini, brussels sprouts, and cauliflower. spray them with a no stick spray (or use olive oil) and season them if you are going to roast them without foil covering. I do about 450 for 30mi-45 minutes for open air roasted stuff. If you are doing yams, squash, or potatoes (whole things that you haven't cut) I just wrap them in foil and put them in at 450-475 for an hour. Roasting isn't a lot of effort, but it is a longer cook time. You are rewarded with caramelized goodness, though...so I think it's worth it. Plus, it's nice not to eat soggy veggies...and just throw away the foil and you're cleaned up.

My 2 favorite roasting spice combos:
For potatoes and zucchini I love garlic powder and thyme SO GOOD
For diced yams I like cumin, garlic powder, and chili powder.

Also, even though you didn't ask, my friend's mom taught me the best way to make roasted chicken. Put a chicken in the oven at 500 for 20 minutes. The high heat at the beginning will give you a very browned bird and it will seal in the juices. Leave the skin on to keep it moist, just be sure to remove it later. Take the bird out and season it, turn the oven down to 350 for an additional 60-70 minutes. With bigger birds you can stick an apple or onion in the cavity to keep the breast from drying out a lot without adding fat.

phantastica
11-07-2005, 11:52 PM
I roasted some vegetables tonight ... zucchini, eggplant, onion, and mushroom. I marinated it in orange-flavored olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette, and it turned out fabulous. I have enough left over for lunch tomorrow, and my house smelled yummy all night!

kaplods
11-09-2005, 02:49 AM
I've used (wet) italian dressing too, yummy! Ranch dressing mix (dry) also makes a great seasoning for roasted vegetables. I use a big ziploc bag to moisten the veggies with a couple teaspoons of olive oil (or even water) and pour them into a foil lined pan that I've sprayed with cooking spray (if I didn't use oil). Then shake in the ranch dressing mix and bake at 400 degrees until the veggies are tender and carmelized.

Colleen

Suzanne 3FC
11-10-2005, 03:34 AM
I have the Cafe Cook Book, from the River Cafe in London. There is a whole chapter on wood roasted vegetables, which they seem to be famous for. They explain in the cookbook that you can achieve the same results in the oven.

Home cooks can create the same results by roasting meats, fish, vegetables, or fruits at a high temperature on the lowest rack in the oven, or by slow roasting over a longer period of time. With these techniques, flavors become more intense, concentrated, and delicous.

Recipes include wood roasted asparagus, zucchini, beets, carrots, and more. They all call for olive oil, sea salt, and black pepper. Some also include balsamic vinegar, red wine, fresh herbs, and other ingredients. All look heavenly. If my scanner were hooked up, I'd show you a picture :) I'm particularly anxious to try the pumpkin recipe --

Wood roasted pumpkin:
1 small pumpkin, about 2 1/2 lbs, peeled, cut into wedges 3/4 inch thick
1/2 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 small dried red chili, crumbled
1 bunch fresh thyme, leaves picked from the stalk
coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400*. Put the pumpkin pieces in a bowl with the other ingredients. Mix thoroughly to coat. Put in an oiled baking dish and roast for about an hour.

WaterRat
11-10-2005, 02:42 PM
OMG, that sounds wonderful!! I'm sure it would work fine with a squash too. I think I'll try it this weekend.

skeeweeaka
11-13-2005, 04:28 AM
This sounds wonder, wonder if you all used the bottom rack or what...seems like they would burn cooking so long on that rack....

LaurieM35
01-09-2006, 10:18 AM
WOW! I am definately going to try this technique tonight for dinner!

LaurieM35
01-09-2006, 10:18 AM
WOW! I am definately going to try this technique tonight for dinner!