Support Groups - Gettin' together -- November 2005

View Full Version : Gettin' together -- November 2005

dragonwoman64
11-01-2005, 09:39 AM
Well, we're at the start of a new month. :carrot: Thanksgiving month. The holiday season tends to get me worried about my eating. Maybe I need to concentrate more on the spirit of the season, than the goodies of the season. I'd like to have a plan set up ahead of time to make sure I do what's best for me, instead of indulging myself to no end, which is what part of me wants to do! :devil:

Robert and I cook Thanksgiving meal, so while that can give us more control, it also can lead to pitfalls. Yep, gonna have to have a talk with him about the best way to deal.

On the positive side, he didn't buy any Halloween candy. The bump this weekend was homemade chocolate birthday cake.

I have my TOM now too, Jill. Nothing like all that PMS to make life more :dizzy: Take it easy.

Amy, how cool you get to talk to a life coach. I'd love to do that.

This Friday it's going to be 70 DEGREES here! I want to be outside enjoying myself that day, let me tell you!!

Kimberley, where art thou? How are you doing? Thinking about you.

Have a good one, everybody.

jillybean720
11-01-2005, 10:09 AM
I'm not sure what we're doing for Thanksgiving yet (heck, I don't know what I'm doing later today, let alone later this month!). I assume we'll spend it with Jeff's cousins (the ones he lived with) since we are flying up to CT to be with my family for Christmas. I've never had to share holidays before! I used to always either go home to CT or go to my sister's in Va Beach. We did spend Easter with Jeff's cousins last spring, but I couldn't give up my family OR my Jeff for Christmas, so I stayed with Jeff on Christmas Eve, opened presents with him (and his 2 older cousins and their 3 boys) on Christmas morning, then drove to Va Beach on Christmas day to meet up with my sister and my parents (who had driven down from CT). No more of that craziness this year--I am dragging Jef with me for Christmas!

For some reason, I seem to magically be losing weight again. I hovered in the same 3-pound range for nearly 3 months, and now that I am eating MORE calories, I seem to be doing better. I was certainly not staving myself before (ALWAYS had over 1200 calories a day), but I guess my body is just happier at this new level (averaging about 1800-1950 calories a day over the course of the week). No complaints here!

Jeez, I certainly could use a life coach right about now! I talked to my mother and sister yesterday about my *incident* with Jeff last week, and they both told me to just move on, but to keep my eyes open in the future (which was what I planned on doing, but it was nice to have some reassurance). They gave me this same advice from complete opposite points of view. My father apparently thought my mother cheated on him (with his own brother!) while he was in Germany in the Army back before they got married. They celebrate their 31st anniversary this month, yet apparently my father still sometimes brings it up, which is very hurtful to my mother since she never cheated! I don't want that to be us--I don't want it to still be in my head in 31 years, and I don't want Jeff to be frustrated and have to defend himself constantly for something he didn't do! My sister was married to a Navy guy, and he cheated on her a few times (never admitted it, but even his parents think he did!), so she has experienced my side, while my mother has more experienced Jeff's side. I wasn't going to talk to either my sister OR my mother about it all because I didn't really know how they would react, but now I'm really glad I did :^: Of course, I still cried while discussing it with both of them (and then cried a little more with Jeff last night), but having such a great suport system will definitely help me to move on. As my sister said, "forgive, but don't forget"--let it go, but learn from it :)

SwimGirl
11-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Goodmorning!! It's POURING rain here, yuck. I was watching the weather and looks like we are going to be hit with storm after storm for the next COUPLE weeks! I hate the rain, I hate the gloomy-ness. I have even resorted to getting my brother to bring me 5HTP, I know there are bad things said about it.. but they take away my winter depressions!

Marge - I am so happy to have you back, I missed you SO much during the summer!! In the spirit of thanksgiving, I'm greatful for my american counterpart! So how are you going to deal with the upcoming season of eating? Well, you have to start with breakfast, if you are on top of eating healthy meals consistantly, those little "treats" won't budget your weight. Of course, I had garlic bread, cracks and some candy for breakfast. Like "berries", heh.

Jill - I have gone thru the cheating thing countless times, and it turned me into a cold heartless b*tch. But I learned that it' just not worth it if he really did cheat. It actually hurts your own selfesteem.. which is why I felt the need to speak up. I care for you and don't want you, or anyone to have to go thru that feeling. Alrighty, enough on that! What did you scale say when you peaked?

So last night my brother informed me that him and his gf broke up! Now, they LIVE together, and will continue to do so. Thats just ODD to me! My brother moved into the other bedroom, they are going to still come here together to go shopping on the Nov 11th long weekend... tell me, isn't that ODD??? Phew.. I don't get it! I just needed to let that out.. I am off to price winter tires for my mom! Talk to you all later!

-Aimee

jillybean720
11-01-2005, 02:33 PM
Aimee--If, in my heart of hearts, I really felt he cheated, then we wouldn't still be together. There's no three-strike rule with that issue--one cheat and you're OUT! But why would the boy who put 40,000 miles on his car in a year and a half to see me (since I lived in Va Beach when we met and was still about 75 miles away when I moved to Manassas) waste all that effort if he were just going to see someone else? I think the reason I had (have?) such a hard time letting the whole thing go completely is just that I am afraid of becoming one of those naive girls who gets cheated on and just always believes the guy no matter what other evidence she finds, ya know? But since I have no hard evidence (that one conversation was all I ever found, and even that could have other explanations because it never specifically mentioned them being together), then I have no reason to continue to pester him about it. I love that so many people care about me and don't want me to get hurt--know that if Josh ever hurt you, I'd fly across that border in no time, too ;)

I think it's great that your brother and his (now) ex-gf can still live together. I would hope that if Jeff and I ever broke up, it would be on good enough terms so we could still behave like rational adults and at least live out the rest of our lease together if we had to.
The scale this morning said I'm down another 2 pounds so far this week, so let's hope that still carries over to the TOPS scale on Thursday night :carrot:

Gardenwife
11-01-2005, 05:51 PM
Hi, everyone. Sorry I've been scarce. It was a busy weekend, as usual lately, and I was out all yesterday afternoon and evening. My doctor's office got me in to one of their emergency appointments yesterday since I'm still on the puny side of life. I was glad to see my own doc this time and talk with her about several things other than this walking pneumonia stuff.

There's something going on with my right hip with numbness and burning, plus my left knee and lower back are giving me trouble; she had x-rays done of all of those areas, plus some of my lungs. She said that to her eye she didn't see any arthritis or spurs in my knee, so it may be ligaments. She sent the lumbar and hip films out to be read elsewhere.

My lungs look good, so hopefully this new antibiotic will clear up what infection still has me worn down. She agreed that I would benefit from upping my dosage of Lexapro for the winter months. However it all works together, I'm ready to feel better!

Beggar's night was last night, and I spent it over at our friends' home. Not one piece of candy passed these lips, I'm happy to say. I had sensible portions of the spaghetti and meatballs she'd made, and did have a piece of cake.

Howie was having a bad night, though, and got a triple & fries at Wendy's for his lunch. Then when he got home we had ice cream, and too much of it. I wasn't as over until the ice cream. And it wasn't as bad as I could have been, but still was knee-jerk emotional eating, which I don't want to do. So, no candy, but too much ice cream. I would have eaten far more chocolate calories had I started with one mini-bar, though! LOL ;)

SwimGirl
11-01-2005, 08:17 PM
In my discussion with my manager who is the life coach, I asked her what the key to weight loss was...

Are we ready for it??

I'm not...

Okay..

It's...

Dealing with the emotional issues that cause the eating.

Seems simple enough, but wow, I don't know if I'm ready for THAT!

Kimberley - I sure hope you get back to your normal swimming self soon! Sickness is such a PAIN! What is Lexapro?

I am off to get some exercise in.. ttyl!

-Aimee

Gardenwife
11-01-2005, 08:23 PM
I hear you on the emotional eating. Lexapro is an anti-depressant, one of the SSRI (http://www.lexapro.com/english/about_lexapro/how_works.aspx) types.

SwimGirl
11-01-2005, 09:40 PM
A few years ago I went on Antidepressants, I tried two, and neither worked for my body, I began to sleep all the time, and became an emotionless void. I hated it, I would have rather been crying all the time! My doctor didn't listen to me.. so I sought out other ways of dealing with depression. Thats why I'm doing the 5HTP. We all have our ways of dealing.. I'm glad you and your doctor see eye-to-eye on it. I mean, we know our bodies best, and the doctor is there to aid you in being your best. Perhaps we need to move to a REALL sunny place? I find the sun makes me happy.

On the line of emotional eating? I'm not sure I'm ready to deal with my issues. I'm not ready to accept that my life hasn't been perfect.. ah denial.. It's not even that is has to be THAT screwed up.. just one comment at one time could do it. I'm learning a few things from this Life Coach of a manager... maybe she's come into my life to aid me along this journey of life?

Alrighty, on that note! I am excited to say I exercised again! Two days in a row! Woohoo! I try to do some healthy eating and/or exercise on Biggest Loser night... is that weird? Have a great night!

-Aimee

Gardenwife
11-01-2005, 10:37 PM
A lot of the antidepressants make people really sleepy for the first few weeks, but the body should adjust if it's working for the person. When I first took this, I could *not* stay awake. Then, I was just sleepy and yawned uncontrollably (great timing - I worked at a call center!). It got better, though, and just helps me stay at an even keel. It's been a real life-changer for me and I wish I'd talked to my doctor years earlier.

dragonwoman64
11-02-2005, 11:23 AM
Marge - I am so happy to have you back, I missed you SO much during the summer!! In the spirit of thanksgiving, I'm greatful for my american counterpart! So how are you going to deal with the upcoming season of eating? Well, you have to start with breakfast, if you are on top of eating healthy meals consistantly, those little "treats" won't budget your weight. Of course, I had garlic bread, cracks and some candy for breakfast. Like "berries", heh.

Ahhh, I'm greatful for you too! And all you gals! I almost always eat cereal for breakfast and I never skip breakfast (what? me skip a meal??). Rob thinks and I guess I'd have to agree that the extra treats are the killer for me. What is cracks?

You know, I do believe people and things happen all the time to help us along, sometimes we recognize it, and sometimes we don't right away. Congrats on the exercise! It's one day, sometimes one hour at a time for all the improvements. Re: Biggest Loser, didn't you think Mark looked handsome at 228 lbs? Wow. He's from Campbell CA which is where my brother lived for a while (a suburb of San Jose).

I don't think I could ever live with an ex, I mean, wouldn't you need to have a certain emotional distance to do that? what if they start going out with somebody else and you're living there having to see that?

You know, I can feel that resistance in me that says I don't want to give up those good foods we cook for thanksgiving, like stuffing and pie and cranberry sauce. I get that it's for a great cause, but mentally I need to get myself in the place where it doesn't feel like a deprivation. I'll be coming back here to get :drill: and :cheer: and :coach:

Re: all the emotional issues, I've sludged through some of it in therapy. Took Prozac for about a year (am so glad I did that, totally helped with a period of depression for me). It is tough. I know I haven't dealt with everything. Thurs on Dr. Phil is about extreme food obsessions.

Kimberley, lots to deal with physically and health wise for you. Don't let it get you down. I know that's easier said than done :grouphug: Man, the emotional eating is hard! And when you don't feel well, it can creep up. Baby yourself.

Jill, you have lots of good people to talk to and get perspective, which is GREAT. I'm jealous of your weight loss momentum, I need to get mine going again!! You should really pat yourself on the back about going through a hard time and still taking care of yourself eating and exercise wise.

Anyway, I've written a book here. I'll just say to end that I think we don't always give ourselves credit for how much we are able to deal with or do. I know personally that I can have the habit of saying that I'm not ready or strong enough, when in truth, I have fears about it and in reality need to push myself. That's me, not saying it's true for everyone.

Take it easy, gals.

SwimGirl
11-02-2005, 02:35 PM
Hehe... cracks = crackers.. I'm losing it!

I slept in this morning, skipped exercise, and feel like killing people.. could this be PMS? It sucks working retail on days like this.. I should lock myself away from everyone and anyone.. including myself! On that note.. I'm going to go to work.. Have a good day!

-Aimee

Gardenwife
11-02-2005, 02:39 PM
I know personally that I can have the habit of saying that I'm not ready or strong enough, when in truth, I have fears about it and in reality need to push myself.

That, my dear, is the story of my life! I'm the classic underachiever, paralyzed at the thought of getting out there and really taking a risk, really pushing myself.

On a sunnier note, our dogs are stretched out on the big footstool, soaking in the rays. They are so content and have such basic needs for happiness. We've often said we wish we could be our dogs. ;)

dragonwoman64
11-03-2005, 10:15 AM
Me too, Kimberley. I struggle with it all the time. It didn't really help that I came to NYC and threw myself into the lion's den, so to speak. Lots of people here without an ego shortage, to say the least.

Amy, you Canadian :queen:, pamper yourself, I think you need to do that right now. I get the feeling you have lots of stuff percolating in your coffee pot (don't I have a way with words??).

This thread has been helping me lately. I've been thinking about the whole food/Thanksgiving issue. I'm clinging to wanting to eat all those goodies as a treats for myself when what I really want is the Norman Rockwell gathering of family and friends. My family has been extremely sucky to me lately, after my sister managed to be nominally supportive during this past tragedy. They're just incabable. So, it's up to me to fill in that place.

Hang in there ladies. The sun is shining today, and the leaves on the trees look gorgeous with all those colors. I love the fall. Chloe is asleep in her basket on the filing cabinet -- I agree, these fur creatures really have the life of Riley!

SwimGirl
11-03-2005, 01:14 PM
Marge - my fall consists of rain, rain and more rain. I can hear the wind howling... ah the fall in Vancouver sucks!! I can feel my TOM is going to start soon, and then all of this aggression will go away ... :) My friend is just as bad as me... I have a feeling we should have avoided eachother this week... we are nearly at eachother's throat. I think we sometimes have to fill in those areas that lack the support with people that do. My mom doesn't get a whole lot of support from her family, so she really relies on her friends... we can be your support system!

Kimberley - I'm suck at the age of 17 wherre life is easier.. hense all the crappy jobs. It's amazing how we are all a little alike...

Alrighty, I'm going to go exercise. I did a weigh in today... 263, just asI thought. Thats up a few pounds for me... but I'm going to try and do a christmas challenge, and lose 15 pounds. I think if I apply myself, I can.. I don't go to christmas parties really, no family stuff until the 27th. I might be able to do it! Have a great day gals!

-Aimee

jillybean720
11-03-2005, 01:33 PM
Great idea, Aimee! I'll join you on the 15 pounds by Christmas challenge. I'll start with whatever my weight is at TOPS tonight. I was doing so well over the weekend and early this week, but then the past 2 days, I have BOMBED food-wise, so what I thought would be at least a 2-pound loss or the week is now possibly just maintenance (if not a little gain :o ). The cnady demons in the office got to me hard core, and then I made pierogies for dinner the other night, which would have been fine, except I ate too many and then ate too many more for lunch yesterday :mad: I have been good today, so we'll see if I'm retaining much water by what the scale says tonight!

My sister is all excited because her finace booked their honeymoon, so it's feeling more real to her now. They are taking a week-long Alaskan cruise--and they board in Vancouver! Maybe she can sneak me in her carry-on luggage so I can come see you, Aimee ;)

Well, looks like I have to start very closely watching my vacation time here at work. I am taking off a week in December between Christmas and New Year's, a few days in April for my sister's wedding, and a few days in May for my sister's post-wedding party in CT (since our huge CT family can't all go to the wedding in Va Beach). PLUS, I just found out a couple days ago that one of my close friends from high school is getting married in February, so I may have to make a trip to Nashville (where she lives now). Jeff and I also want to go back to Atlanta next year because they just built a new big aquarium down there that is supposed to be really amazing, so we want to check it out. I really wish he got more than one week of vacation time each year!

jillybean720
11-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Just had to come post after my TOPS weigh-in...I was down 2.25 pounds :carrot: Guess the Halloween candy actually did me good ;)

Gardenwife
11-04-2005, 12:34 AM
Dang, Jill, you're unstoppable! Good for you, girl!

A challenge sounds good to me. Holidays can be the undoing of many good intentions, so let's band together. I intend to make Thanksgiving my treat day for the week, but I am going to "eat like a skinny person" (but not one of those skinny SOB's that can pack away the food and not gain an ounce). I maintained last holiday season, so I know it can be done. This year, I want to keep losing through the holidays, though.

The contact for People called today. They're sending a photographer, his assistant, a hair/makeup stylist and a wardrobe stylist out here on November 14! Good grief, this is unreal. I have the wardrobe stylist's e-mail address and will send her our sizes and preferences. Sounds like there's a small chance we might get to keep some of the clothes if they have to be altered for us. And get this, they just got done doing a shoot with Pete from The Biggest Loser. The lady said he was so nice to talk to on the phone. His wife was tickled he got to keep some of the clothes, because he's still losing weight. :) Go, Pete!

SwimGirl
11-04-2005, 02:51 AM
So I was a little off on my weigh in this morning.. I realize I wrote down my starting number on Monday, and then this morning I wrote down 262... but not realizing I had lost a pound. I am a little out of it sometimes! SO! I am down 1 pound, 14 to go! I start those 5HTP pills next Saturday, and I have a feeling my body will agree with them again and I'll drop weight without trying.. so I might have to up my challenge.

I actually DID exercise today... lots of the time I just say I will and then lay down.. lol. I can feel my body getting stronger, but i'm finding I need MORE food, is that odd?

Jill - the more the merrier! You are dropping weight like crazy gal, so it might be a challenge to keep up with you!! Those vacations sounds nice. I hope they enjoy Vancouver even tho the rain refuses to stop! Maybe they can see the two Starbucks that are literally RIGHT across the street from eachother.. yet both are busy.

Kimberley - that is just TOO cool! Do you feel the need to step it up a little to see if you can drop a few pounds before they come? I know I would..

Marge - now I love yah... possibly like a sister.. but this "Amy" garbage has to stop! hehe...

Alrighty, I gotta sleep.. I got home LATE, 11:15pm, and I gotta be up at 7:15am.. So i'm looking at 7-ish hours.. but I could go for 10!

-Aimee

SwimGirl
11-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Holy cow ladies, I get to do back to back posts? Its feeling wrong to be awake right now... I am going to look forward to sleeping tonight! hehe...

-Aimee

jillybean720
11-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Alright, Aimee, I have updated my signature with my weight from last night and made a tracker for our Christmas goal (15 pounds). We sooooo got this!

dragonwoman64
11-04-2005, 11:27 AM
we can be your support system!

Awww, I'll take it! very happy to be offered it! (Amy stuff?)

Aimee, when I started doing the gym more regularly my appetite increased. I can see all the extra exercise making you hungry.

An Alaska cruise sounds great! Hope they have a great time. Man, you're going to be an expert in weddings soon, Jill.

I changed my ticker to read my actual weight, I'm down almost a pound today. Aimee, my Canadian friend, we're the same weight. But you're a smaller size than me. I can't fit into 18s yet. I honestly don't think I'll make 15 lbs by Christmas, maybe 10, though I think even that's ambitious. I'll take 10 :lol: Jill, I hope that mojo you have going rubs off on me!

Kimberley, can I say I knew you when? ;) Really fun. Can't wait to see the spread in the magazine.

Congrats on those lbs shed, gals.

Rob and I are about to go out to lunch and I have to dry my hair. Have a good one!

Gardenwife
11-04-2005, 02:08 PM
Good for you, Aimee! Jill! Marge! We're all losing, because I am down 2 pounds this week to 204. It was teetering between 203-204, but I went with the solid number. Oh, what a relief.

Yes, I want to lose as much as I can before they come. I wonder if the wardrobe person will do alterations on-site. Guess they'd have to, eh? I am so not the fashionista. LOL

SwimGirl
11-05-2005, 01:08 AM
Hi! So I went to take my friend to the doctor, but she had to go home.. and since it was a walk in, I thought I'd pop in and see the doctor. So I got a prescription for the pill, and got some advice on the whole 5HTP thing. He says that it's safe, and when they prescribe things it's just a version of that.. so I feel better about taking them. I did however get my blood pressure checked, not good. In my defence? I had coffee for breakfast, coke at lunch, a brownie, and had TWO incredibly aggrivating, annoying, frustrating things happen JUST before he did it. It was 138/90. Eek! Oh, and I had a REALLY high salt lunch. Probably the worst day to get that checked.. heh.

Jill - I'm glad you are on board! Whats the deadline on this goal? Christmas Eve morning?

Marge - I think you should make a tracker too (you too Kimberley if you are game!), I think you should aim for 15 as well... set your sights high.. because the worst that can happen is you will achieve higher weight loss! I know you can do it. I suspect I don't actually weigh 262, my scale at home.. not so accurate. We might get a good scale, and then I could really tell yah. Also, I really do carry my weight well, I have a large frame AND I'm muscular.. I thank goodness for that everyday! Oh, this doctor mentioned something about my weight, and I told him it was coming off slowly.. and he said.. it's one of the hardest things to do! A smart doctor, I'm IMPRESSED!!

Kimberley - I second Marge... can I say I knew you when?? I shall be bragging, "omg I totally know her!" and showing it to everyone... so yah, make sure you have a fresh haircut and a good bra on! Oh.. and seamless undies! It's a necessity for every gal!

Well, time for this gal to sleep.. I believe the first thing I said this morning was "no"! Okay, time for sleepy... nite gals!!

-Aimee

Gardenwife
11-05-2005, 01:50 AM
Sheesh, that sounds like my BP was back a few months ago. I'm happy to report that it was really good on Monday when I saw the doctor, though.

Okay, okay, I added a challenge ticker. ;) My sig's going to take dial-up users 5 minutes to load at this rate! LOL

dragonwoman64
11-05-2005, 12:51 PM
I'm going to save myself some embarrassment and not say how long it took me to figure out how to make that second ticker at ticker factory... :?:

I bet your scale may be off by as much as 10 lbs, Aimee. You know I can't possibly accept the idea that that expensive Tanita scale I got could be off by that much. :faint: Besides, when I changed scales the first time my weight went up by, I think it was 9 lbs, which was traumatic enough.

I'd have to say, considering the situation, I don't know how much stock I'd put into that bp number.

Kimberley, they probably use tape, safety pins, and whatever they can to make the clothes fit right for pics. GREAT weight loss. When I reach 204 I think I'll...I don't know what! I'll be so overwhelmed with joy I'll probably hurt somebody (by accident!).

Yesterday we walked through the park after lunch, all the trees are in the middle of chaning colors, with the bright, sunny 70 degree weather, it was so relaxing. Then a guitar player sat on the bench next to ours. We got a free serenade. I made curry-apple butternut squash soup last night too, so we'll have some of that with dinner tonight. You know, I pooped out last week and never carved the pumpkin we bought. Wonder what I should do with it....

Have a good one, gals.

SwimGirl
11-05-2005, 01:46 PM
My brother has a Tanita scale, I got on it and it was within a pound of my scale at home.. but every other scale I've gotten on has said I weigh less. Usually 5-10 pounds less. So I keep going by my scale, mostly because I've heard Tanita scales aren't wrong that often. I figure as long as I'm consistant with the scale I use.

Today I am off on an adventure with my friend, we are going downtown Vancouver shopping. It's going to be good.. I love downtown :) Alrighty, I better go shower.. my friend is ready to go and I have LOTS to do! Have a good one gals!

-Aimee

jillybean720
11-06-2005, 08:32 AM
Aimee--oooh, shopping! I haven't been shopping in quite a while (aside from the evil Walmart empire and grocery shopping). Of course, it doesn't help that I'm completely broke (thanks to having to pay rent for 2 apartments for the month of November). Hope you had fun!

Marge--Oh, how I miss the changing leaves of the north! I grew up in CT, and my house was across the street from a state forest, so we always had beautiful foliage. I'm not really in the south now, but even in Northern VA, we don't get nearly the same brilliant colors as up there.

Kimberley--dial-up users :lol: I can't even imagine still having dial-up...how spoiled am I?! :p

Glad to see we're all in on Aimee's Christmas Challenge. I'm not quite sure when the challenge will be officially over for me since I go by what my TOPS scale says. Thursday, Dec. 22, I won't be at my TOPS meeting because we're flying to CT that morning, and I don't want to wait till after Christmas to weigh :devil: Although I probably should--might help keep e in check diet-wise while I'm in CT. Meh, I'll figure it out as I go along (ha, just like everything else in life) :dizzy: Heck, maybe I'll lose 15 pounds even before Christmas so I won't have to worry about it! One can dream, right? ;)

Well yesterday, we weren't as lazy as usual for a Saturday. We went to Walmart for a few necessities (particularly light bulbs--I think the former tenants of our apartment moved out just in time for every light bulb in the place to blow out on us!), then to the grocery store for the week's food. Then we came home and decided to go to a park nearby to see if they had ducks we could feed (something Jeff and I have always liked to do together, but now we're very far from our usual duck pond). So, we went to this park and were wandering around the paths in the woods with bags of bread, but we found only a swampy-looking area...not much of a pond, and certainly no ducks. Oh well, at least we got in about an hour of walking (including pavement, sidewalks, gravel, dirt trails, and even tree stump steps across a stream). Then we came home and watched a movie, made smoothies (1% milk, carb-smart ice cream, frozen strawberries, and bananas), and fell asleep to a second movie. It was a good day :)

dragonwoman64
11-06-2005, 12:14 PM
I still have dial up, heh heh. I have been eyeballing DSL. I think I'm about to give in. It's getting hard to view videos and I get bored waiting for pages to load and files to download.

Your day sounded really good, Jill (and shopping in Vancouver, I'd go for that!). Must be fun exploring a new neighborhood. You'll find your ducks. In the past few years we've been getting lots of black squirrels back here. And we were talking to our brother in law yesterday (saw him in the park) and he says he noticed lots of new birds this season, we all think the migratory patterns have changed due to the climate changes. I saw a hummingbird moth this summer which I've never seen in the neighborhood before.

Today we're going to take it easy. I went to the gym this morning and it was practically empty. I'm still not up to my level BI (before injury). Slowly but surely. Even though it's after 12, gotta jump in the shower :o ;)

Have a great Sunday!

Gardenwife
11-06-2005, 10:57 PM
Shopping and hiking...Sounds like a nice weekend all around. :) I've been working on The H-Man site this weekend. Next thing I'll add is a section for healthy recipes we've come up with or have enjoyed from others. We really want the site to be an encouragement to people, especially after the article prints and we get traffic from that.

Other than that, we went to Caribou twice this weekend. Our favorite gal from the coffee shop is moving to Utah at the end of the month - we're so bummed! Her last day there is "black Friday", the day after Thanksgiving. She's so friendly, just terrific. I've been stopping by more often since I know she's leaving.

I finally got a great wireless keyboard and mouse this weekend. Good tools make all the difference...I'd been limping along with a cheap wireless set that had to have the receiver right by the darned things and STILL didn't work right most of the time. Now I have a Microsoft Wireless Comfort Keyboard and mouse. It has a slightly curved, ergonomic keyboard; it's not split like their other ergonomic keyboards, but it has a nice padded wrist rest built in. Best of all, it has a light touch and it works well. LOL Howie was on call this weekend, so he got his beloved DVD sets of The Waltons seasons 1 & 2, and I got the keyboard. :cool:

Looks like we're hosting Thanksgiving again this year. I have such mixed feelings about it. I like entertaining, but it is so much work. Well, if nothing else, it's motivation enough to get the house clean. The photographer being here on the 14th guarantees the living room and kitchen will at least be clean...

Howie wants to put the tree up for Thanksgiving, so looks like we'll be decorating early. Can't believe it's already the holiday season...His surgery date will be here before we know it.

SwimGirl
11-07-2005, 12:58 AM
Hey Girls!! I can't believe the weekend is over... I do get tomorrow off.. so technically.. It's nice to have a short week coming up!

So the shopping wasn't sucessful! My friend got bored WAY too easily,and I had to wait 45 minutes for her to pick me up. So we didn't even get downtown until 2pm, I had 4 hours! Eek! Thats just not enough time to cover so much ground yah know? I got a few things for Josh and something for my brother.. so it wasn't a complete waste. It's hard to find your shopping match! I think my brother and I do well together, we both know what we want, can keep going until we pretty much die, and he supplies the money ;) hehe..

Jill - Can you make me a smoothie too? heh. I am jealous of your weekend... I can't wait until Josh and I work normal jobs!

Marge - dial up? No way jose! You gotta get with it girl! ;)

Kimberley - the decorations are up in the malls, christmas music is blaring in a few stores... christmas is nearly here! I do love christmas.. I love the spirit of giving.. it makes me happy!

Alrighty, just a short one from me.. I am tired all over! Nite!

-Aimee

jillybean720
11-07-2005, 07:27 AM
and he supplies the money ;) hehe..
Now, I need a shopping partner like that! :lol:

I have NO idea what to get anyone for Christmas. My sister emailed me to ask if I thought a good color printer for my parents was a good idea. I said sounds good since I had no ideas at all! Right now, they have an old one they got for free from a friend a few years ago, and it gives my mother nothing but trouble. She has a newer computer and a digital camera, so she should be able to print out good quality pictures. Not a bad idea. Now if only I knew what to get for my sister, her fiance, his daughter, my Jeff...:dizzy:

I'm tired today--stayed up kinda late to watch the Redskins game last night. I fell asleep off and on during the last quarter, woke up long enough for Jeff to tell me they won (not that I really care) and that I had been snoring, then went back to sleep :p But now I wish I could go back to bed. I did get up and go to the gym for my 30 minutes on the elliptical, though, but it didn't wake me up much.

SwimGirl
11-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Goodmorning! I got an email from my old friend who is teaching in Scotland, she's always wanted to go there.. she seems to be enjoying herself! It always reminds me how I'm not doing too much on my end of the world, I really want to travel... and I don't go anywhere! Rough start to the day... I also found out that Josh and I forgot to wrap the chicken up.. so it sat out ALL night... it's garbage! 20 dollars!! And, yes there is an and... I put on Josh's sweat pants.. and while they are REALLLLLY baggy on him, not so much on me. Like I needed a reminder that i'm bigger than him.. I was definitely asking for it though.

Jill - I love that I work Sunday's in some ways.. I don't have to watch football with Josh! heh. I love shopping for others, I always can figure it out.. sometimes a little last minute though!!

I have LOTS Of cleaning to do today... so I am off to accomplish this! I'll talk to you all later!!

-Aimee

dragonwoman64
11-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Now I have a Microsoft Wireless Comfort Keyboard and mouse. It has a slightly curved, ergonomic keyboard

cool. now my list has DSL and ergonomic keyboard ;)

Looks like we're hosting Thanksgiving again this year. I have such mixed feelings about it. I like entertaining, but it is so much work.

me too! one good thing is that I plan on trying at least to give away as much of the food as possible. I already told Rob that any leftovers will be eaten s-l-o-w-l-y.

It's hard to find your shopping match! I think my brother and I do well together, we both know what we want, can keep going until we pretty much die, and he supplies the money hehe..

My brother, I should say our family, has lots of issues around money. He said to me once that he might make the choice to give me some, but I should never ask for it (!!!)(this coming from a guy who makes in the high 6 figures). The only time I ever made the mistake of asking, was once when I had just started out in NY, $300 to take a class. I did pay him back for it, after more years that I should have let pass. That was held against me for quite a while.

Monday, Monday, Monday, sorry to be so gripey.

dragonwoman64
11-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Goodmorning! I got an email from my old friend who is teaching in Scotland, she's always wanted to go there.. she seems to be enjoying herself! It always reminds me how I'm not doing too much on my end of the world, I really want to travel... and I don't go anywhere!

Don't worry, most people are too unsettled in their 20s to travel much (unless their families have money). I'd love to go to Scotland, which the whole driving on the left/right side of the road deal wasn't going on :lol:

dragonwoman64
11-08-2005, 10:23 AM
Well, I'm in a much better mood today. I did peek at the scale (weigh in day is Friday) and I'm already below last Friday's weigh in, yeah. I think I was retaining water from TOM. The challenge has motivated me. I haven't been grabbing chocolate or anything the past few days, another victory. I'm even feeling calm about Thanksgiving eating.

Anyone else see Kirstie Allie on Oprah yesterday. Methinks she might not have been telling the truth about 219 being her highest. Even Oprah looked sceptical. But then in Hollywood it can be dangerous to your career to tell your real weight, so I don't blame her.

Gotta vote today. We usually go around 1 when it's not too crowded.

GMA (Good Morning America) had some tasty sounding low call dishes
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Recipes/story?id=1288858
heart healthy pork chops parmesan and artichoke and spinach dip.

I LOVE artichokes and spinach, so when I get up the energy I'm going for that baby. Would be good for the holidays too.

Take it easy, lovely chicas!

SwimGirl
11-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Goodmorning! Well TOM is going to arrive within a week, I peaked at my scale.. and I'm up 3 pounds since yesterday morning. Yikes, eh! I might have to skip this weigh in, unless I Wanna go UP... stupid TOM!! I am due to start the pill this time, I'm slightly worried that I'll gain weight, I know my chest tends to get a tiny bit bigger... we'll see I suppose. I definitely need it to keep my hormones under control!

Marge - have you been lonely here? 3 posts back to back! Perhaps I can beat your brother up? I have issues with people who are not generous with their money, not that I expect people to be handing out cash. But when it comes to FAMILY? Give me a break! We all help eachother in different ways.. I may not give my brother cash, but I give him advice which is priceless! I dislike people who are in relationships who buy something for theother and expect them to pay them back! Like seriously, this is the person you love!! Josh and I are free with OUR money, it's not his money and my money, we pool our money and pay for things together. Phew, I better stop, I could rant forever! I saw Oprah yesterday, I do believe 219 actually, she's got a smaller frame, is a tiny bit shorter than me... I could see it. When I heard she was going to tell her weight I guessed about 230 ish. What size do you figure she was?

I better run, Gotta do that work thing today! Have a good one!

-Aimee

jillybean720
11-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Josh and I are free with OUR money, it's not his money and my money, we pool our money and pay for things together.
That's awesome that you guys are so aware of each other's financial situations. Jeff and I keep our money separate. I'm not sure what the laws are in Virginia specifically, but some states will actually declare a commonlaw marriage if you live together for a certain amount of time and have joint accounts. We still split the rent, cable, internet, water, phone, and whatever else we both use, but we just give each other money instead of pooling our funds. Actually, we split the rent, and then to simplify things, I pay for the phone, water, and groceries, and he pays for the cable, internet, and DVR. Since groceries tend to cost more, he also pays if we go to the movies or out to dinner. It all just about balances out in the end :) I honestly have no idea how much money he has saved up. I know he brings home more than me (since he doesn't have 401k, pension, or insurance deducted from his paychecks), and he has only ben paying $100 a month to stay with his cousins till now, so I would think he's saved up a pretty penny. He actually mentioned the other day that he had a little less than $10,000 left to pay of his car, so he asked my opinion if I thought he should just pay it all off. I tried not to show any emotion at the idea that he has more than $10,000 in his bank account and said he wouldn't want to not have any money left in his account in case something happened, to which he replied that even if he paid off his car, he would still have some in his account :o I know I shouldn't care about money, but it's nice to know he's not frivolous with his funds (and could maybe afford a nice little diamond someday *ahem*) ;) In the end, we decided it would make sense for him to just keep paying more than the monthly payments (he's already a few months ahead) so that he would both have it paid off sooner and still have the safety money in his account.

Wow, Jill, way to write a novel based on a single sentence in someone else's post :dizzy:

SwimGirl
11-09-2005, 02:24 AM
Hi! So TOM started, which explains that added weight this morning... I might have to skip this weigh in ladies... I feel so excluded now! :( I might do it anyways,and if it says more than last week.. .we'll just forget I got on the scale.. is that bad?

I ended up getting a ride home from work, so I didn't exercise. But... BUT! My TOM started... don't I get to use that as a free pass for today ;) I am full of excuses!

Jill - I dunno how you do it! Josh and I don't make the same amount of money, and if I had to put out just as much as him? I'd be crushed, he'd have spending money, savings, while I'd be broke! I suppose that brings us to the fact about people being different, I couldn't handle someone who didn't share their money with me. I know how much Josh has in RRSP's (like a 401K), he has me on his medical because his employer offers a better program, and it saves us some money. I know that I'm the one who gets his life insurance, all his investments should anything happen to him. We might as well be married at this point, the common law thing applies here as well.. however we still file our taxes seperately for the purpose of not paying my student loans off... teehee.. We are all with our partners for a reason. I think on the topic of love that we are with the person whose habits least annoy us... does that make sense?

Alright! I am done... and I'm very tired.. I'll talk to you ladies tomorrow :)

-Aimee

jillybean720
11-09-2005, 09:09 AM
Kiiiiiimberley, where are yooooooooou? Hope everything's okay! :smug:

I'm in a slump. Not diet-wise, but life-wise. I need to cheer up. I need to focus less on this Jeff issue and how much I hate my job and how far I am from my family and how I have no friends who live close by...Whew, how's that for my own little pity party? :p

dragonwoman64
11-09-2005, 10:14 AM
Perhaps I can beat your brother up?

heh heh, I'd say yes but he's a little too pitiful for that. I feel a little sorry for him. Lots of money but lots of problems, healthwise and emotionally.

Don't sweat the TOM, I know I can let it drive me crazy. Honestly, part of that 6 lb gain of mine was TOM or else I wouldn't be losing it so fast this week.

Rob and I have one account. Both our names are on all our other stuff. NY, my boss told me, doesn't have the common law marriage laws, he said lots of people make the mistake of thinking that applies here. I agree it's not worth paying off the rest the money on the car. Save those bucks for a house, it's amazing how much money you have to have to get a house these days (especially in New York). You can't start saving too soon for that.

Hmmm, well I was thinking Kirstie was in high 200s, but you could be right. I do think she lowered the number that she gave on Oprah for career purposes.

I think on the topic of love that we are with the person whose habits least annoy us... does that make sense?

I think it's love when we can learn to ignore all those habits that really annoy us, :lol:

I went to vote yesterday. Our place is at a local elementary school and those dang PTA gals decided to have a bake sale. We had to pass through the cupcake gauntlet to get to our voting booth! I'm happy to say, despite Rob's obvious draw to that goodies table, I abstained. What I won't do for democracy!

:coach: there will be no pity parties here! :lol: and that goes for me too! (that's the Ty Pennington icon)

Hey, Kimberley! what's been happenin' in your neck of the woods??

SwimGirl
11-09-2005, 01:33 PM
I'm down with a pity party! My scale is OBSCENELY high this morning.. oh right, I peak everyday.. some call it obsession... I could agree with that. I think I did a little overeating last night, I had half a honey dew melon, half an apple, a bowl of popcorn with REAL butter ( seriously, 1.5 tablespoons... eek!), and then half a turkey sandwich. That was my dinner. lol. I just figured out ALL my calories and fat grams from yesterday.. it just wasn't what I thought it was going to be! 1620 calories and 46 grams of fat (most of that was from a stupid chocolate bar).

Jill - You gotta make some friends! I have issues with this... because girls just generally annoy me. heh. I've recently started making friends, and I can't say it's been smooth, but it's a LOT of work! It's worth it though, to have someone to accompany you to the store, go for walks with..

Marge - my only thought with Kristie Alley is that she's always been about 125-130 pounds, so she's definitely got a smaller frame.. so 220 would be a 90 pound gain! I cannot ignore Josh eating when I have PMS, every bite, chew annoys the CRAP out of me... lol... but its the same for everyone else.. but he just happens to be around the most. Poor boy! He's SO happy I'm going on the BC pill, no more cramps (I usually spend an hour each morning bawling my eyes out/screaming because of pain), AND no more PMS... I look forward to that!

So I'm still stuck on this working until close BS, every single Wed and Thursday night, I think by next week it'll have been a month I've been doing this. I shall be having a chat with the manager today about that.. it's not really fair to me. I was contemplating doing some exercise this morning, but I don't have the time, gotta make something to take to work to eat. Alrighty ladies, I am off to eat some food and tackle my day! Have a good one!

-Aimee

Gardenwife
11-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Hi, everyone. Sorry I've been scarce. :o The weekend was another blur, and Monday my MIL and I swapped our office and bedroom. Yesterday I pretty much just recovered from Monday! LOL

I saw the orthopedic specialist today. After viewing my x-rays, twisting me around and prodding my body, he pronounced I have bursitis (http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sportsmedicine/a/blbursitis.htm) in my hips and some arthritis in my very lower back. I have a booklet of stretching exercises to do, and he prescribed Tramadol (Ultracet) to ease the inflammation and pain. If it doesn't get better, he said cortisteriod injections in the bursa might help. I wasn't too keen on the injections in my wrist, so I'll see how the stretches and medicine do.

Interestingly, the doctor said I'm on the young side to have bursitis; he suggested losing weight would help a lot. When I told him I've lost 73 pounds since last year and am still losing, he said that was great. ;) When I told him how much Howie's lost, his eyes got huge and he said, "wait a minute, he's lost that much?!". Yeppers, we're losers in this household. :D

Gardenwife
11-09-2005, 11:06 PM
Aimee, I didn't see your post above mine - oops! I took forever to compose mine because I kept getting distracted (story of my life). ;)

Hey, I've had days where the bulk of my calories came from ice cream, so don't feel too bad. MOST of the time I eat a pretty well-rounded diet. With me, it's laziness or bad pain days that make me take shortcuts and not make stuff that's good for me.

I forgot to tell you guys, I ordered my coat from Lands End last night: The squall parka (http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod//0,,1_2_1930_63851_109179_87626_5:view=57,00.html?s id=6312129981515154670&CM_CARRY=1&CM_MERCH=PAGE_63844) in "imperial blue". Can't wait to get it and be warm in the winter for once. Maybe I won't be so impatient for the dogs to do their business now. They'll like that.

SwimGirl
11-10-2005, 01:11 AM
Hey Ladies! I am home from work, and happy to be home :) I forgot to eat something after breakfast this morning... and got severe shakes. It was pretty scary, I ate some food and was feeling more stable after about 30 minutes. My manager almost sent me home because of how I was looking... as I was walking to get food I was all fuzzy. Phew, don't wanna do that again!

Kimberley - glad to hear everything worked out with the doctor and it's not too serious! Do your stretching, we don't wanna keep you on drugs! I thought 1620 calories wasn't too much, especially considering I drank some of those calories! I think I need to up my good calories!

Alrighty, I am off to watch a little tv, lay down... relax... I am pretty crampy. Have a goodnight gals!!

-Aimee

jillybean720
11-10-2005, 08:34 AM
Aimee--glad it was just cuz you hadn't eaten and wasn't anything serious. Remember to pack your lunch next time, missy! :p

I have my TOPS weigh-in tonight. I don't think I did as well as the past couple weeks, but I still don't think I gained, so it should be okay.

Had a rough time sleeping again last night. I keep waking up early (around 3am) and not being able to get completely back to sleep after that. I feel so tired, though, and we don't go to bed before 10, and I haven't been napping during the day, so I know I'm not getting too much sleep. Maybe I'll catch up some this weekend.

This jealousy thing with Jeff has gotten out of control. He was about an hour late coming home from work last night, and I was just about in tears waiting for him. I tried to convince myself that I was just worried that he'd been in an accident or his car broke down or something (since he doesn't have a cell phone), but I know inside I was questioning where he was, what he was doing, and who he was with...I wish I'd NEVER seen that IM conversation! He said he'd just got stuck talking to someone at work, which of course I believe, but my over-active imagination had me in such a state! *sigh* as time passes, it will get better...I'm such a baby :p I think it's due in part to the fact that he's my first real boyfriend, and I know of other people close to me who have been cheated on before, so I guess I just assume that should happen to me at some point, too; like, why should I be so lucky to get an actual honest guy on my first try? I know that's not very logical, but the inside of my head is more of a hurricane than an orderly filing system :dizzy:

SwimGirl
11-10-2005, 01:51 PM
Goodmorning ladies!! I just had a HUGE breakfast!! It was pretty good, I'm trying to eat more protein, something about eating right for your blood type. I'm an O, so apparently I need more protein. So I had 2 eggs scrambled with soy milk, 6 slices of cucumber and two pieces of 12 grain toast. The toast was pretty tiny, so in reality it was more like a slice and a half of normal stuff. It wasn't a TON of protein, but it's better than what I normally have.

Kimberley - When does the coat arrive? Are you already needing it? It's been pretty wet here lately.. a little chill in the air.. but only when that rain stops. In some ways I don't want it to stop, cuz I am just not down with cooler weather... but I just can't get over this gloom. I'll be thankful to start this 5HTP! Does it snow where you live? I didn't learn any American Geography... I only know that it snows in NY because of tv! I'd laugh.. but it's true! heh. And BTW, you are BIG losers ;)

Marge - come out and play!! Tell me, does everyone look fabulous all the time in NY? I just picture everyone looking like they came out of a magazine ad, not in my daily mess, which includes fleese, some sweats, and runners. heh. I cannot wear heels with normal clothes.. however I do dress pretty boring these days. I've lost my flare for fashion as I put on weight!

Well ladies, I think I'll go prepare for work! I get tomorrow off, thanks to Rememberance Day! I remember I dated this guy in the army, and for my Rememberance day meant I got a day off from work and school, but for him, he had to do this big walk with guns and fire things. It was slightly cool to see your bf on tv. He turned out to either be impotent or gay.. no one is too sure!

One more thing! Did anyone see that JESS came back on GGs? I did NOT appreciate that! Rory and Logan are so cute together, I want them to get married, or at least I want me to marry Logan. lol... k.. enough procrastinating, I'm off to shower!!

-Aimee

SwimGirl
11-11-2005, 01:56 AM
Seriously girls... more talky less no talky!! heh..

-Aimee

jillybean720
11-11-2005, 06:25 AM
Weighed in at TOPS last night with a loss of 4.25 pounds :carrot: I didn't think I'd lost so much--my home scale said 274 every single time I stepped on it almost all week long (maybe it's stuck?), but the TOPS scale said 269.75. Man, I busted through those 270s like no one's business :cool: I hope the TOPS scale wasn't off much because if it was, it could be harder to have a loss next week, ya know? Either way, I'll take it!

I'm much more at peace with the Jeff thing. Thank God for mothers! As much as my mother and I would fight when I lived at home (and even sometimes still fight when we see each other), she certainly did help me see things more clearly on this issue and agreed with me about not bringing it up again. We never agree on anything, so I know that if she thought I was doing something wrong, she wouldn't hesitate to tell me :p

Yet again, I was very restless all night long, so not much sleep. I don't know what's going on--I'm tired when I go to bed and fall asleep no problem, but then I wake up and can't fully fall back to sleep for the rest of the night. Looks like I my have an exciting weekend of napping ahead of me ;)

Aimee--I haven't been watching the newest episodes of GG, but I think that as long as Jess and Dean are alive, they will keep coming back to mess with Rory's head :dizzy: I so love that show--I wish ALL of the past seasons were on DVD instead of just the first 4 so I could completely catch up and start watching the new season! I watch th reruns when I can at 5pm weekdays. Jeff says he doesn't like it, but he sometimes comments on things they do or say while he's playing games on his computer (we had to set up the apartment so the tv was watchable from his desk ;) ), so I think he just doesn't want to admit that he likes it because it's a girly show :p

SwimGirl
11-11-2005, 07:06 AM
Goodmorning! Very early morning over on my end of the world! Josh woke up at 3:30 this morning to go fishing, and my stomach was bothering me.. so I am up trying to get it to settle. I ate some almonds to combate that acidic stomach... I suspect I ate a little too much meat yesterday... who knows though!

Jill - Congrats on that weigh in! This TOPS scale loves you :) Josh claims to hate GG, but he'll watch it with me... and complain about it afterwards. Men are too cute sometimes!

Well I'm starting to yawn again.. so maybe this time I can get back to sleep! It's amazing to me how fast time can go, I've been tossing and turning since about 2:10am, and it's already after 4!! Oh my... I better be able to sleep.. I have things to accomplish tomorrow! Plus, if I plan to actually brave my scale despite this whole TOM thing, Ineed a good nights sleep! Back to bed I go... goodnight again!

-Aimee

dragonwoman64
11-11-2005, 12:03 PM
Happy Veterans Day, ladies!

he pronounced I have bursitis (http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sportsmedicine/a/blbursitis.htm) in my hips and some arthritis in my very lower back.

that sucks. at least you have a some options on how to treat it.

tell me how you like that coat, maybe I'll get that one next year. Speaking of coats, it's cold here today! 43 degrees. At least it's sunny.

Those calories didn't sound so bad to me, Aimee. I get the shakes if I don't eat lunch, or if I wait to eat it. Hate that.

does everyone look fabulous all the time in NY? I just picture everyone looking like they came out of a magazine ad

:rofl: I suppose there is about 1 percent of people who stand out as good or interesting dressers. The rest of us are just average slobs. I remember going out to a nice restaurant for dinner with a co-worker and the waitress had the coolest pants. Turned out she was a clothes designer and made the jeans herself. That's what I like about New York, you meet interesting people in surprising places.

Actually, speaking of clothes, in our neighborhood lots of small clothes boutiques are starting to pop up (a designer opens one up to sell his/her own clothing). It's tough to get a store like that to take off, so they tend to go out of business quickly, but I like seeing the fashions.

I'm not too worried about Jess. He's just there to get Rory out of her funk. Thank Buddha, too, I was getting tired of that story line. Logan isn't looking too good these days, boy, was he a major jerk with Jesse. I think guys might not get the show as well (though Rob likes it, heh), there's a lot of really clever quips they make that can be easy to miss. I personally want to marry Luke. A man who'll make me coffee, has a diner, is cute, funny, cranky, I'll take it!

Wow, great loss, Jill. Congrats. :) You're going to demolish our Xmas challenge.

I've been waking up at 4 or 5am and then tossing and turning. Maybe it's radio waves from the aliens, trying to exhaust us and make us weak for the invasion. Wow, who's been watching too much tv here??

Have a good one, chicas!

SwimGirl
11-11-2005, 01:14 PM
So, I HATE TOILETS!!! Mine has been having issues flushing lately... after an incident involving flushing saran wrap and a stool sample. Lately I've been flushing and dashing, the toilet sounds like it's going to overflow, there is some ackward bubbling, it's better to run out of there and hope for the best while you plug your ears and sing.

Thats been my adventures lately.. I cannot handle it much longer. I plan to clean the house enough today that I can call the landlords and get them to have a look-see. But they cannot come in here when it's like this... phew, I have clothes everywhere.. the bathroom is a dumping place for clothes before our showers.. it's scary.

Marge - did you weigh today? I really don't want to... TOM has been cruel this time. We'll see if I work up enough courage for that. As for the whole Jess thing, did I tell you they are dating IRL? I dislike Rory more and more these days. I still love Logan... you know Marge...we could BE Rory and Lorelai, except I wouldn't be so pouty as Rory is... Do you think ANYONE'S reality is like that? How are you down with Luke's crankyness? Josh is always cranky, he thinks it's funny sometimes... it's really just annoying. Yesterday he floored it (on the wet ground no less), my head goes flying back and I said something, he answered with "you are about 2 seconds away from getting a bus pass". Now if that was supposed to be funny? Didn't work. If it was serious? f.u. I pay for half that GD car! I refused to talk to him for an hour afterwards, and he made me dinner! I have a friend who is an up and coming designer, I get on her email lists about other up and comers, it's pretty interesting to see. How about like how the people dress on "What Not to Wear"?? Do NY people look like THAT at least? You are distroying me here! I figured I had to be fasionable to go to NY!

Well I better go find me some cramp relievers... and possibly brave the scale.. I'll let you know what I decide at a later date!

-Aimee

Kimberley - whereeeee areeeee youuuu? Don't you LOVE us anymore? ;)

jillybean720
11-11-2005, 01:19 PM
So, I HATE TOILETS!!!
:lol: That SO made me laugh. I mean, it's not funny that you're having toilet issues, but it was a really funny thing to read as the first line of a post :lol3:

Gardenwife
11-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Oh, I am so sorry! I had a post all typed and thought I'd sent it...But I must have closed my browser with that tab open and the message unsent. :P Of course I still love you all! LOL

We had a cold front come through last night, and today is when the coat is supposed to get here (along with a pair of stretch denim jeans they had on clearance- yay!). So far, no UPS truck has graced our street, and I'm beginning to wonder where it is. Last night Howie told me to go ahead and order a cute corderoy denim jacket they had on sale for $19.50 (down from $59), so that will be coming next week. Thank God for a generous hubby who had some killer overtime on his paycheck. ;)

My MIL and I are going to tackle more cleaning tonight. Tomorrow I am meeting an old high school friend for lunch at the Olive Garden. She and I have not talked since she graduated the year before me. We've been e-mailing for a month or two and have so much in common. I can't wait to see her!

You guys are doing so well...I maintained this week, unless my rather heavy dinner and dessert factors in. I think I'll weigh tomorrow morning after doing the housework tonight. If I show a loss then, I'm taking it. I mean, c'mon, wouldn't you?

I remember going out to a nice restaurant for dinner with a co-worker and the waitress had the coolest pants. Turned out she was a clothes designer and made the jeans herself. That's what I like about New York, you meet interesting people in surprising places.

What you said about meeting interesting people is so true. Howie and I are in the planning stages with a friend of ours to launch a new website. We were going to go with the weight loss theme, offering a place for people to tell their stories and post their progress photos, but that's really not Howie's and my passion. We have that here at 3FC and in our blogs.

What I really DO have a passion for is telling peoples' stories. I met an interesting person today when I got my haircut. He was out front of the shop with his minivan, sharpening scissors and razor blades. I said, "hey, you have your own mobile sharpening unit - that's cool!". He said hi and smiled. Later, when he brought back the finished tools, he sat down and told me a little more about himself and how he started his business.

He was a meat cutter originally, but was burned out and bored. So, he started taking his sharpening stone home in the evenings and began sharpening restaurants' knives. When his wife's sewing scissors became dull, he tried sharpening them for her and she was tickled with how well they worked. So, he started going around to upholstery shops and offering to sharpen their scissors. Eventually, he bought electric sharpeners and further expanded his services to sharpening hair shears. It just went from there and he said he made more money in two evenings a week sharpening stuff than he did all week at his normal job. Finally, he quit his meat cutting job altogether and did the sharpening full-time.

He was so personable, so inspirational, I just had this burning inside me. This is how it is with me; I hear someone's story, and I want to tell people about it. Combining that love of storytelling and encouraging people along with my passion for photography just seems like a natural fit. I'm so excited about it, even if our friend Mark doesn't want to go in that direction, I know I will go in it myself on my own. I envision an e-magazine that focuses on telling ordinary peoples' stories in an interesting and inspirational way.

What do you think?

dragonwoman64
11-12-2005, 12:04 PM
I love this thread.

Kimberley, I say following that passion! Have you ever read any of Charles Kuralt's books (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0804108692/002-3008264-3456802?v=glance&n=283155&v=glance), or seen him when he did CBS Sunday Morning (the last bunch of years the show has gone way down hill, unfortunately)? He died on the 4th of July in 1997. He was something of a hero of mine. He specialized in telling people's stories. In my mind it's a great area of journalism.

Your good at finding bargains, I need to do that more, make my clothes budget stretch (and not just the clothes, heh heh).

Aimee, I did indeed weigh myself, down 2 lbs, yeah! Hey, at least you didn't go up 6 and are in the process of losing it again (like yours truly). Jess and Rory, dating IRL? I did not know that. Wow. No, I don't think anyone's reality is like that :lol: The whole thing is a constructed fantasy, which is ok by me. I like fantasy. Some tv should be fantasy.

I'm cableless, so I haven't seen What Not to Wear. I have to check out their website, but I'm running out the door now. If you dress funky here, probably people will be craning their necks to see what you have on. There are tons of young designers here. FIT (the Fashion Institute) is in Chelsea. My French friend says Milan (and Italy) are the places where you'll see lots of fashion conscious people. In Paris I thought most people, with some exceptions, dressed fairly casually. I thought Parisians would be more chic; I do have to say that they do know how to tie those scarves.

Yeah, I can handle cranky. Hey, I get cranky more often than I care to admit. Josh did good with the dinner. It's true we can let words slip out that we're sorry for later.

Gotta do some shopping today, was going to go with Rob's sis but she punked out at the last minute. I'm flying solo.

SwimGirl
11-12-2005, 12:34 PM
Just a quick one from me... my brother is in town and we are doing MEGA shopping. He put 1500 on his credit card, and we are apparently going to go spend that much! Ah shopping with my brother can be fun! No time to reply to you both... but I still love you ;)

-Aimee

Gardenwife
11-13-2005, 01:20 AM
I don't think I've read any of Charles Kuralt's books, but I loved his pieces on Sunday Morning. We might have listened to a book on tape of one of those titles years ago, sounds familiar. I will make a point of getting some out from the library now, though! :)

dragonwoman64
11-13-2005, 12:42 PM
Yesterday I went to Target and Circuit city and purused the local shopping mall, which is getting nicer and nicer. I bought a few Christmas things (something about Target I really like). Thought I might find something for Rob but nothing tickled my fancy.

Today I went to the gym, put on my headphones and turned on HBO 2 (I've gotten into the habit of watching movies while I work out). They were broadcasting Ellen Degeneras doing her stand up routine, so I was cackling away while I trotted on the treadmill.

It's gorgeous weather here today, btw.

Aimeeeeee, lucky you! shop till you drop!

Kimberley, I really like Charles Kuralt's voice. I'd enjoy his books on tape. He did an audio book of Peter Rabbit and I searched for it and didn't find it. There are always lots of stoop sales in this neighborhood (a garage sale, except you use your front stoop to set up a table and sell stuff), and I a copy of that book there and got it for my French friend, Elize. Speaking of which, I saw a news story today that the rioting in France has spread to Lyon where she lives. I've emailed her a couple of times but haven't heard back yet, I'm feeling a little worried.

Have a great Sunday.

SwimGirl
11-14-2005, 12:37 AM
Hey gals! My whirlwind weekend is over!! Phew, you wouldn't believe how tired I am! My brother arrived with his ex, Danica at 6:30pm on Friday, and we promply left to go shopping at Mountain Equip. Co-Op (MEC), which is sorta like REI I think. And we had dinner at a place that has the BEST dry ginger beef in town! Saturday we spent the day shopping, had dinner out and watched a movie. Today they all went shopping while I was at work, and we had dinner, visited... phew! I am SO ready for bedtime!

My brother offered for me to come to Seattle for a month to workout and eat, and thats all. In hopes that I would lose like a few pounds, I don't know how much he thinks I can lose in 1 month... I guess I *could* lose 30-ish pounds if all I did was eat properly and workout. I can't totally afford it... we'll see.

Kimberley - my mom did interviews in her town to find out people's stories, she hasn't decided what she's going to do with them yet... some of them were definitely facinating! I enjoy hearing people's stories as well..

Marge - cackling eh? heh... Too funny. I've had a hard time shopping this year, we've bought a few things here and there... but nothing is PERFECT you know? I love Target as well, I bought some good pj bottoms there, and cheap shaving cream! lol

Okay, I am off to bed! Have a good one!

-Aimee

Gardenwife
11-14-2005, 09:15 AM
Marge, I bet you would enjoy the books by William Least Heat Moon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?link_code=ur2&tag=gardenwifecom-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&path=external-search%3Fsearch-type=ss%26keyword=william%20least%20heat%20moon%26 index=blended). Howie and I loved his book, Blue Highways (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?link_code=ur2&tag=gardenwifecom-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&path=tg/detail/-/0316353299/qid=1131977291/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1?v=glance%26s=books%26n=507846). In it, he chronicles his travels across the "blue highways" on America's maps, the secondary routes often missed by travelers. He paints such great word portraits of the towns he visits and the people he meets. It's wonderful!

Ohhhhh, y'all...Well, today's the day People's photographer & crew comes out here! I didn't get the floors mopped, but everything else is at least picked up, dusted and vacuumed. That'll just have to do. :mag:

The wardrobe stylist is due here at 9:30am and the rest of them at 10:30am. Think good thoughts, y'all. :hug:

dragonwoman64
11-14-2005, 11:22 AM
I wrote an entire message and accidentally closed the window before I posted, doh!

Aimee, 30 lbs in one month, you'd have to be a guy from the Biggest Loser :lol: A couple of weeks with your brother sounds pretty good. What did you buy on your shopping spree?

Ooohh, Kimberley, you're probably with all those People people as I type! That's exciting. Those books look great. I might get them for Rob for Xmas; I think we'd both enjoy reading them. I put them on my Amazon wish list.

Today is a Monday, which isn't my favorite, but I'm working on that, heh heh.
Didn't this weekend whiz by??

How are you doing, Jill?

jillybean720
11-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Marge, heck YES, this weekend whizzed by! How is it Monday already (and already lunch time?!)?

I've been sleeping a little better lately--instead of waking up every hour or so all night long, I've just been waking up around 2:30-3am and not being able to fall back into a sound sleep. At least I get those first 4-5 hours of actual sleep. Heck, I couldn't even NAP for more than about 30 minutes all weekend, and I am the QUEEN of long, lazy, afternoon naps! :p

Tiredness aside, we didn't do much this weekend (besides pig out on pizza, Chinese, and diner food :o ). I'm getting my jealousy more and more under control, as this was the first weekend I didn't end up crying about anything in a while :dizzy: Next weekend, we plan to go Christmas shopping.

Kimberley, I can't WAIT to see the pictures and article! You MUST let us know what issue it is in (I know they have an idea, but things always change, so let us know when you know for sure!).

Aimee, could your brother come take me shopping, too? ;) Even the women on Biggest Loser seem to be losing only about 5 pounds a week--30 pounds a month would be INSANE! :p

SwimGirl
11-14-2005, 10:42 PM
Hmm, when I quit sugar and bread and all that bad stuff, I tend to drop weight like crazy. The first week is usually 10 pounds, second week, maybe 7-8 pounds. I usually stop after that tho... lol.. so thats less than 5 pounds each for the next two and a half weeks. And if I'm ONLY working out and eating healthy, seems doable, don't yah think? We'll see... I'd need to come up with 1300 to pay for my bills while I am gone.

Kimberley - how did it go? I am so excited for you.. I told my mom all about it, I'm sure she'll grab a copy to see.

Marge - I wish it was the weekend all the time. Saturday specifically.. I dislike working all the time. And get this! My district manager has a set schedule for all manager's and assistant managers for the month of Dec, which includes me not getting DEc 27-29th off to spend with my family. I dislike how this is making it nearly impossible for me to have christmas with my family... I am going to have a chat with my manager and impart how important it is for me to have those days off. And if I don't, I may have to consider the other jobs I've been recruited for. Hmm, random rant there, eh?

I am completely tired, and should go make some dinner before I fall asleep.. hehe. I'll talk to you ladies later!

-Aimee

Gardenwife
11-15-2005, 12:52 AM
Awwww, bummer you're having trouble getting the holiday dates off. Retail can be so sucky that way - I hope it works out for you, Aimee.

Jill, glad this was a better weekend for ya. :hug:

Marge, I love those Amazon gift lists. I have created separate ones for clothes, movies, books, etc. It's so handy to keep track of stuff and to just point our friends that way when they want to know what stuff we've been Jonesin' for.

Howie and I went to Columbus tonight and exchanged the clothes left by the wardrobe stylist. Howie got Casual Male and JC Penney gift cards, and I picked up a cute winter hat and scarf at Filene's Basement along with goodies at Lane Bryant. The latter had 40% off the clearance prices of a bunch of stuff. Yippee! Here's the sweaters I found:

dragonwoman64
11-15-2005, 11:47 AM
Jill, I had a hard time with the eating this weekend. Had store bought pizza, an entire one, myself for lunch one day. Wasn't even that good. So guilt without the pleasure. (And then I ate store bought pizza when I live in Brooklyn with some great pizza places blocks from our apartment.)

Glad you're feeling better.

Aimee, that sucks re: your schedule. I guess it's because the holidays are the hot time for retail. Hang in there, you'll negotiate something. Maybe even some time off around the holidays?

Love those sweaters, Kimberley. It's funny how the internet hasn't been around all that long but how much I've come to use it for so many things, including those amazon lists. I came up with the idea of getting Rob some software for Xmas; and headed over to ebay, where it's about half the price. I got my boss acrobat that way too.

Well, I need to get some work done today.

Take it easy, ladies. :hug: (great icon)

jillybean720
11-15-2005, 01:55 PM
My scale was not friendly this morning. I checked my Fitday, and my average calories for the past week is still about 1750 per day, so I figured nothing wrong with that. Then I looked at my sodium intake :eek: On a day where I had Chinese food and pepperoni pizza over the weekend, it said I had over 12,000mg of sodium :o So perhaps having 5-6 times the normal amount of sodium could cause a wee bit of water retention :p Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I had pizza all 3 days and Chinese twice, so my sodium intake has been insane. I sometimes forget about the sodium. I don't even own a salt shaker because I don't add salt to ANY of my food, but I failed to consider what was in the food I didn't make myself! Ooh well, flood myself with water for a few days and keep an eye on the sodium intake, and I should be back to normal :^:

Aimee, that TOTALLy sucks! I remember one year when I worked at a movie theater, I had to work Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, AND New Year's Day! Talk about torture for a college student! Hope you can work something out.

Kimberley, that's awesome that they left some clothes (and that you could return the ones you didn't want!). I can't WAIT to see pictures of you guys in a magazine!!

Marge, I love pizza SO much--it doesn't have to be "good" pizza...to me, almost all pizza is amazing :T

SwimGirl
11-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Goodmorning!! I slept for 11 hours last night, yup, 11. I must have really needed it! I feel a bit better now tho :)

I ate SO SO bad this weekend, so perhaps it was something in the air? Well, I always eat bad when my brother is in town, he'd rather eat out than make something at home.. and if you've got money why not right? I had to change my ticker yesterday, I could no longer live in denial about it.. however, I think I managed to shake that pound!

Kimberley - those sweaters are pretty cute! Tis the season for huge sales, it's the best time to shop! At my store we are having a huge sale, a bunch of things were temporarily marked down 25, 30 and 50% off. We are on our 3rd huge promo in a row, and the sales just are NOT there! We aren't making our weeks and might not make our quarter.. which is a bummer cuz I get a 500 dollar bonus if we do make it. BTW, thats too cool about having a wardrobe stylist. Did they do anything different with makeup or your hair? Sometimes its interesting to see the different interpretation a person has of how all of that should look..

Marge - I could go for some yummy pizza! Would you believe I've never bought anything on the internet before? To me it takes the joy out of shopping, heh. Although I should consider looking around online, and doing that whole Amazon list thing. No one knows what to get me for christmas, my bf is even stumped, and I'm always going on and on about what I want around him. Is it possible I'm becoming the girl who has everything? Scary thought!

So today I am off to exchange a t-shirt, my brother bought my "normal" size, and I put it on over 2 layers of clothes and it was HUGE! So I guess I've actually shrunk a size, thats pretty fun :) Have a good one!!

-Aimee

Gardenwife
11-15-2005, 02:24 PM
Good morning. :coffee:

After the early morning and busy day Monday, I wanted to sleep like a rock. I hedged my bet by taking a generic Tylenol PM. I was out like a light, anyway, and that stuff kept me from waking every hour. My bladder nudged me awake one time around 6:00am, but that was it. Aaaaah, sweet sleep.

I'd be going out to eat, too, Aimee! I'm glad so many restaurants have healthy choices on their menus, at least. We went to Applebee's last night and had their Weight Watcher's onion soup au gratin (150 cal, 8g fat, 1g fiber) and tango chicken sandwich (370 cal, 9g fat, 8g fiber). The soup was *very* salty, but oh so *very* good. Don't get that soup, Jill! ;) The salt sure sneaks in on me, I know it! :^:

Jen415
11-15-2005, 02:45 PM
HI ladies....I just spent the last few minutes reading your posts....you all are such a tight knit group! It is great to see how you support each other.

That's all I wanted to say really.....

SwimGirl
11-15-2005, 04:02 PM
Jen - why don't you stay and join in! The more the merrier :) And if I could pass along this support to everyone I know... I would.. and it's not just about weight loss... its about life. Weight loss is a way of life I suppose... look at me all deep. lol.

So I exercised, ate a GREAT breakfast... so where is this headache coming from? I am almost thinking I am adjusting to being on the pill again.

Jill - we posted at the EXACT same time... I need to cut back on the sodium thing, but how can you tell if it has lots? Besides if it actually tastes salty. I'm not eating tons of prepared foods, enlighten me!

Kimberley - there really is nothing like a good sleep after a busy day! I went to the only Applebee's around here.. and I had something that tasted SO bad I didn't bother ordering anything else. Plus... if you return something because of how it's cooked, don't you think the cook is going to do something nasty to it? That would be gross, eh?

I am off I think... hehe... ttyl!

-Aimee

Gardenwife
11-16-2005, 02:56 AM
Jen, please do keep posting -- great to see you here! :)

My jacket came from Land's End today, and it fits great. I'm so psyched! A friend we've made through the coffee shop invited me over to do some scrapbooking with her, and I stepped out our front door to see the UPS box on the doorstep. My friend has a similar corderoy jacket in a sage green, so we plan to wear our jackets to the coffee shop the next time we meet, just to be goofy. She has *tons* of scrapbooking supplies and various tools, so going to her house is like being in a store. I've never seen such a collection of cool gadgets, and she's so generous with everything, so fun to visit with while we work on our pages. It's nice to have someone to visit like that.

Here's my new duds - jeans, tunic and tank top from Lane Bryant and jacket from Land's End. The boots I've had for years. This is the first time I've had a really pulled together outfit in *years*. I will wear it to death. LOL!

jillybean720
11-16-2005, 08:48 AM
Jen, feel free to swing by and post anytime! We used to have more than just 4 chicas here, but some seem to have gotten lost along the way...

Wow, Kimberley, that's a great outfit! I love a lot of things at Lane Bryant, but I've got to hit it just right during a great sale since I refuse to pay $34.50+ for most clothing. I do get email coupons from them a lot for $25 off a $75 purchase, so I usually use those to buy some clearance items.

I also like their bras the best because they have normal, feminine styles in larger band sizes. Most other plus size shops don't carry the bitty little B-cups I need :p Oh how I long for the days when I can buy a 38 B at Walmart. It's not far off, though...I'm wearing the 42 B from LB today, whereas I haven't worn this one in months because it was too tight on the sides (I had to stick to my 44 Bs)!

As for the sodium, Aimee, aside from readin labels, I don't know! I just assume that basically anything I get from a restaurant has about a million mg of sodium in it because it is found in a lot of preservatives and such. Even some frozen chicken I see at the grocery store says "up to 15% salt solution" or something like that on the bag, so it can come from unexpected places. Today, I'm having only foods that say riht on the label how much sodium there is.

For some reason, I have been SO hungry yesterday and already today. Normally, I have a diet soda in the morning (for the caffeine since I don't drink coffee or tea), hit the gym, then have a small breakfast (usually a packet of oatmeal), then a snack around 10am (usually yogurt or a Special K bar), then lunch around noon (a sandwich and popcorn or leftovers from dinner). For well over a month, I have had between 600-700 calories during the day and then a bigger dinner, and I have not felt hungry. I haven't changed the amount of protein or anything lately, so I don't know what's going on. I'm certainly not exercising more than normal. It's 8:45am right now, and I normally would have had just soda and breakfast and would be fine, but I am feeling hungry and have already had my soda, Special K bar, and 100-calorie packet of Oreo crisps. I'm eyeballing that packet of oatmeal as if it were a male stripper sitting on my desk! Normally, I would say, hey, if I'm hungry, it's for a reason, and I should eat. I waited long enough to be sure it's not a craving (who craves reduced-sugar oatmeal, anyway?!). But since my weight is already up a little, I feel guilty giving in to the hunger and eating more! what's a girl to do...

Jen415
11-16-2005, 12:31 PM
HI gals....thanks for the invite....will post a bit more about stuff with me shortly. I'm training our office temp at the moment.

Be back in a bit!

dragonwoman64
11-16-2005, 12:31 PM
Hi, Jen. Good to see you here. I definitely agree that you should join in, we'd love to have you.

Yes, pizza is one of those foods that's always pleasin'. New York pizza is especially good. We had this pizza place in Calif too, named Ye Olde Pizza Jointe, with a giant pipe organ that a guy named Jerry Nagano came and played a couple of times a week. California pizza is thin crust, and it's what I grew up with (YUM).

Aimee, I consider myself one of the easiest people in the world to shop for. I'm always, ooh, I like that. The internet makes life so easy, I love even buying clothes off it. I like epinions to find out about stuff, that's how I picked a digital camera for Rob. I buy plane tickets off the www. Rob likes chocolate, so I found this store in I think it was Washington (state of) and bought him a little gourmet collection. I think it's great that we can have access to so many stores everywhere this way that we might not otherwise.
I even ordered a friend of mine in California coffee and macadamia nuts from Hawaii once.

PS: Good luck with the bonus.

Kimberley, way to go with the clothes! You're lookin' good, gal. Man, I get up 2 or 3 times in the night going to the bathroom (too much information, right?).

I had a friend who gave me a bunch of scrapbook materials she was getting rid of. I'd never done it before and made a memory album of one of our vacations. It was work, but really fun. It's a great way to preserve memories.

Jill, when I eat asparagus it can get rid of ALOT (that's a warning) of excess water in my system. Rob says broccoli is supposed to do it too, but I REALLY notice it with asparagus. Luckily, I love asparagus.

Weather changes seem to effect my appetite. It keeps getting warm, then cold here. And if I eat more my appetite increases, at least for maybe a day. And if I get my TOM.... wow, I could go on...but I won't. :o :p

I gotta run and do an errand. Take care.

jillybean720
11-16-2005, 12:40 PM
Well, I've successfully cured my hunger. After the strawberries, peaches, Special K bar, Oreo crisps, oatmeal, can of coke zero, and 2 bottle of water, I was still feeling hungry! So for lunch, I had a slice of cheese pizza and a small salad :mad: The other option in the cafeteria today was taco salad bar, so I am glad I steered clear of that (even though the chips and cheese and sour cream looked really yummy...). Anyway, I've now successfully eaten about 1450 calories today, and it's not even 1pm yet :?: Hope Jeff likes water and lettuce for dinner :p

So, I have successfully (though not sensibly) cured the hunger problem, but now I feel SO tired! Can we say sugar crash? Not only did I have plenty of carbs in the pizza crust (which was neither thick nor thin, kinda in between--Chicago, maybe? ;) ), but I also had regular honey mustard dressing on my salad :( Ahh well, c'est la vie. Now I REALLY don't want to weigh in at TOPS tomorrow night!! QUICK, someone give me an excuse to miss the meeting :devil:

SwimGirl
11-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Goodmorning!! I'm being such a good girl lately! I exercised and ate a good breakfast again.. I always think it's a good idea to start the day in a good way :) I also peaked on the scale, down another pound... could this be possible that I've lost 2 pounds this week? (I couldn't resist putting that 1pound down again).

Kimberley - wowsers!!!! You are looking HOT!! How do you find things at Lane Bryant? I go there and never find a darn thing! You are cheesy btw.. re: wearing the same jacket as your friend ;)

Jill - We all get those days when we are more hungry. Maybe it's the gym factor? Perhaps youare burning more calories, and require more calories? I don't fit Lane Bryant bra's... I've tried on SO many! I'm also a weird size, 38DD, not quite plus, not quite non-plus. I seem to be in the middle of lots of sizes lately... plus sizes are too big, and smaller sizes are too small... it's poopy! hehe...

Marge - What should I get for christmas? hehe... Josh asked me last night.. I said Coco Channel diamond earrings.. I think it's a bit out there.. uhm, but I kinda want them! I need to sit down and give it some real thought.. people keep asking me what I want and if I don't give them ideas they might fend for themselves!! ;)

Alrighty, I better go shower, I am running late of course... hehe... bye!

-Aimee

Gardenwife
11-16-2005, 03:13 PM
Thanks, you guys! I knew you'd appreciate the duds. When Howie took that picture, I couldn't wait for you to see it! :) I am just maintaining again, so having the new clothes was a nice motivator. I want them to become too big.

Jill, maybe you're needing to eat more nutrient-dense foods, ones that will stick with your body and really nourish it? I know I feel sated longer when I stick to foods in those categories. Here's a great article at Calorie King about all that:

http://www.calorieking.com/library/article.php?path=&art_id=860

Especially see the section on nutrient-dense foods:
http://www.calorieking.com/library/article.php?page=1&art_id=860&noviews=yes#1

Hope that helps some!

I am on dial-up right now because our cable internet is out once again. This is the fourth time in a month, and it's out for hours at a time. This time the tech I chatted with said they don't show any local outtages, so they need to send someone out here *tomorrow* to look at everything. *sigh* The stuff I do from home is hard to do on dial-up, plus I don't want to tie up the phone. I'd better get off of here - looks like I need to do some offline stuff today! :)

Jen415
11-16-2005, 04:03 PM
Hi gals, I'm back! The temp is doing well on her own, so I have escaped to another computer.

Thanks for being so generous to let me post on here. Sometimes I feel like my posts get swallowed on the bigger groups. It's nice to build a rapport with a smaller group of gals in the same boat as me.

Kimberley, I love your new outfit! I love Lane Bryant clothes, especially their stretch jeans that fit so nicely! And, as far as the dialup goes, at least you have that at home--we've got nothing at the moment! :( My only online time is sneaking a few minutes at work! Soon though, we should be online at home.

Jill: I know the hunger thing! I'm trying to vary my calories each day to trick my body. Today is one of my lowest cal days (1200). As of 4 pm eastern time, I only have about 365 cals left :( Guess I might go over a bit today....(PS: Great job on your big loss this week--4.25 lbs!)

Aimee and Marge: How ya gettin' along today?

I'm so excited--my best friend and godson are coming for the holiday! They should be arriving Friday night or Saturday.

Gotta scoot--the boss wants some typing done!!

jillybean720
11-17-2005, 07:55 AM
Bah, I know, I know, whole foods...I've gotten away from the whole foods lately due mostly to the convenience and my laziness :p Anyway, I started today with a glass of Carnation instant breakfast with skim milk, so I had 12g of protein before I even left the house for the gym. Hopefully, that will help hold me over a little better. I know chocolate-flavored drink powder isn't exactly a whole food, but I figured the milk would be a good start :^: Then I did my full 30 minutes on the elliptical (actually about 33--I got sucked into the issue of Cosmo I was reading ;) ) on LEVEL 3--I've always only done level 1 before, so I ended up burning over 400 calories in those 30 minutes--woohoo!

Well, after yesterday's minor pig-out (though I still managed to stay below 2200 calories) and my recent water retention, I was considering playing sick to get out of my TOPS meeting tonight, but I have decided that no, I have to go. I have to face both the good and the bad, so even though tonight will be bad, I need to be there.

Jen--I know what you mean about getting lost in the bigger groups. Even though everyone is really nice and helpful, it's great to have a few people who really listen and understand :smug:

This morning when I was walking into the office, a woman stopped me and commented on how great I looked and how much weight I'd lost. I don't even know this woman's name or even what she does here, so it made me feel really good because you KNOW those are the super-genuine kind of compliments, ya know? Definitely helped to start my day off on the right foot :cloud9:

dragonwoman64
11-17-2005, 11:39 AM
Aimee, now you've put diamond earrings in my mind! ;) You might like garnet earrings. It's a beautiful stone (deep red). I always like bath gels (http://usa.loccitane.com/product/category.asp?type=Usage&categoryName=usg_BathShower&Sort=1&=) too. A Sephora (http://www.sephora.com/browse/section.jhtml?categoryId=C7378) gift certificate (or basket). Just some ideas off the top of me head.

Kimberley, I'm reading those articles. I need to work harder on the food. I've been exercising a lot less than usual, I think I'm afraid of screwing up my leg again then I'll be stuck not exercising at all. Usually the exercise makes up for any overindulgence, like yesterday Rob made these tortilla wedges, with cheese and hamberger (and taco seasoning, speaking of high sodium). We had green beans and chick peas with them, but I couldn't stop eating the wedges. :( So, Jill, I hear you about not wanting to step on the scale tomorrow. It doesn't look good for me this week. But I can remember you thinking you didn't do well then having a 4 lb loss. :)

Jen, I happen to be wearing LB stretch jeans as I type. And a sweatshirt I got from there. I guess you'd have to call this a Lane Bryant day for me (all my underwear too -- too much info again!) It's nice to share the holidays with special people -- rather than headache inducing people heh heh.

People Names McConaughey 'Sexiest Man': be real. I would have put in a vote for Joaquin Phoenix, who has some nice charisma goin' on there.

have a good one, chicas

Jen415
11-17-2005, 12:11 PM
Hi gals:

Trying to deal with the temp as I take my co-worker's place. I have found I'm not as adaptable as I thought I was. I REALLY hate having my daily routine interrupted!! Oh well, it's only for today, until next week....

Jill: I really need to eat whole foods too. I'm relying on too many convenience things like Slim Fast High protein bars and such. I have just been so HUNGRY this week trying to shock my body with wild calorie intakes. I'm not used to what hunger feels like, and it's freakin' me out!! :eek:

Marge: I, too, am dressed head to toe in LB today--undies and all! I bought some cute little things a couple of months ago, like boy panties and thongs for you know who!

And--Matthew M as sexiest man? Some vote stuffing going on there! I am more interested in classic looking men, like Richard Gere and Mel Gibson. Must be my age :rolleyes:

I've heard of Sephora--have wondered what their make-up is like. I will have to find a store and give it a try. I have used Mary Kay for a long time, even sold it for a brief stint (HUGE mistake on my part--was definitely not for me!)

Will see you around!!

SwimGirl
11-17-2005, 12:30 PM
Goodmorning Gals! I have normally been weighing in on Friday's... but I realize I just won't be able to tomorrow morning... so I need to brave that scale today. I really don't want to though! heh.... or WAIT! What if I push it to Saturday instead? I am trying to rationalize this away.

Kimberley - dialup is so hard after having highspeed internet! I don't know how you are dealing!

Jen - I feel lost in those huge groups as well... I guess I'm pretty needy, so this works for me :)

Jill - I've decided I hate scales... mostly I have a fear of getting on it! Although Marge has a good point, you will likely lose 10 pounds and we'll all secretly hate you :) hehe.. Congrats to you, it's SO nice when people start to notice that weight loss! Definitely gives an extra punch to things!

Marge - Aww, I love the ideas :) I cannot have baths, for some weird reason we live in a place with no bath tub... grrr! I love Sephora :) My brother brought me nail stuff from there this time, I am addicted. I got tons of stuff from Sephora last christmas, and then for my birthday.. I almost have everything :( Whats WRONG with me? I was thinking purses, but I do love mine. Do they make rings with Garnet stones in them? I'd love a really nice ring with a huge-ish stone in it. I have an idea, woohoo!! :)

Okay, I am off to exercise, eat healthy, and possibly get on the scale! I have not made up my mind yet...

-Aimee

SwimGirl
11-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Jen - just noticed your post (I guess it took me a while to write mine! ), Sephora is lovely.. it's cosmetic/perfume HEAVEN :) I have tinted moisturizor from Stila ( a brand they carry), and my skin looks and feels GREAT :) Uhm, I also use Sephora mascara, lip glosses (I have 2 kinds), eye shadow, and should invest in some eyeliner. They carry so many brands that even I need help navagating the store!! It's expensive, and a full face of makeup can cost you over 150 bucks.

I could go on for hours, but I must get some exercise in... ttyl!

-Aimee

jillybean720
11-17-2005, 12:51 PM
Aimee--I have a garnet ring that my parents bought me for my 8th grade graduation (the only real piece of jewelry I own!). My birth stone is actually a ruby (July), but the rubies are a little pinker whereas the garnets are a much nicer red (and since my mother knows I HATE pink, she opted for the garnet--smart woman ;) ).

Hmm...since I don't have any other real jewelry, maybe I need to request some from "Santa" this year...(okay, here's the one time I wish Jeff would snoop on my computer and read my entry :devil: ).

OH, and I am definitely much less hungry today. I don't know what was going on yesterday and the night before, but I feel much better now. It's almost 1pm and all I've had is my Carnation w/milk, a can of coke zero, a packet of weight control instant oatmeal, and a bunch of water, and I don't feel like taking a bite out of the next person who walks into my cube! :p Ooh, and tonight is SUBWAY night--I LOVE Subway and reserve it for Thursday nights after my TOPS meeting :D

Jen415
11-17-2005, 02:05 PM
Jill: how many cals are you aiming for daily? Just curious...I am trying to work things out so I don't starve to death every day!!

Aimee: I have always loved playing with make-up since I was a very little girl! I love making myself all glamorous!! I will definitely have to look for a Sephora store around here.

Kimberley and Marge--where are you??

jillybean720
11-17-2005, 02:21 PM
Let's see...I just checked my Fitday, and I had an average of almost 1800 calories per day last week (lost 4.25 pounds), almost 2000 the previous week (lost 2.25 pounds), and about 1750 the week before that (lost 3.25 pounds). This week, I've averaged almost 2000, but I had a TON of sodium (literally enough for about 3 weeks instead of just 1!), so I don't think tonight's weigh-in will go so well (thank you, water retention!).

I didn't really plan on any set range of calories--just seemed to work out this way. So I guess I'm doing okay with a range of 1700-2000 calories average per day each week. I also don't work out for more than 30 minutes a day, and I only do that 3 days a week (I know I should do more, but man, I feel so DRAINED sometimes!).
Kimberley and Marge--where are you??
Just so you know, Kimberley is our resident night owl--much more likely to see her post at about 2am than by 2pm :p I, on the other hand, am up before the sun and check these boards about a million times a day while I'm at the office :dizzy:

SwimGirl
11-17-2005, 02:40 PM
Well gals, I am just about to head to work.. but thought I'd tell yah.. I braved the scale. Down 2 pounds this week. I should be happy right? Partly it's because I had let myself gain 7 pounds during the summer, and haven't been able to shake it since. My dieting/exercise life is JUST starting to get back to normal since the beginning of June, that means I just let 5.5 months go by without losing anything. K.. thats all from me! I am off to work, have a great day gals!!

-Aimee

Jen415
11-17-2005, 02:45 PM
Yay Aimee!! 2 pounds is great!!

Gardenwife
11-17-2005, 11:31 PM
Hey, Aimee, that's great! Jill, how'd it go?

I've been puttering around today, just taking it easy and giving my hips a rest. Man, it feels good to do nothing!

The squall parka I got from Land's End is not as warm as I thought it would be. Howie looked at it and said I should have gotten the insulated squall parka. Well...I decided that a long coat would be better since my legs were really cold the other night in the parka.

So, it was a choice between the stadium parka (http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,,1_2_1930_58895_112036_90483_5:view=59,00.html?s id=2332198962462116900&CM_MERCH=SRCH) and down commuter coat (http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,,1_2_1930_58895_112985_91432_5:view=59,00.html?C M_MERCH=PAGE_197&sid=2332198962462116900). I went with the commuter coat since it is warmer, plus its pockets are not the big, flap pockets of the parka. It just looks a bit more feminine to me. I went with the Dark Berry. It'll be interesting to see what the color actually IS, because the Imperial Blue was much lighter than it appeared on the web and in the catalogs. Even if it is pink, the hat and scarf I got will look cute with it. I just hope it's not some shocking pink! LOL :ink:

Jen, I like a routine, too. When I worked at a call center, we'd get pulled from whatever work we were doing in customer service support and get put on the phones for orders and customer service calls. I was not a happy camper on those busy days. I don't like mundane routine like office work, though...Guess I like varied work, but to know what it is I'm going to be doing. Does that make sense? Right now, I could use a supervisor breathing over my shoulder, because I am getting diddly squat done on my contract work! I need to get crackin' and log some hours for these clients. :D

jillybean720
11-18-2005, 06:18 AM
Well, as suspected, I did have a gain, but only 1/2 a pound, so I can live with that. I'm still at 270.25, so I won't change my tracker. We won't have a meeting next week since it will be Thanksgiving Day, so I've got 2 weeks to lose at least 3/4 of a pound in order to win out TOPS contest (anyone who loses 10 pounds before Christmas gets a coupon for a free Christmas lilly or poinsetta). Even with the little gain, I'm still down 9.25 pounds since I switched to this chapter/moved in with Jeff :)

Kimberley--here's hoping that your berry is actually berry and not Pepto! :p

Aimee--woohoo on the 2 pounds!! :carrot:

Marge--hmm, I dunno bout Joaquin Phoenix, but I'm positive there are sexier men than Matthew McConnaughy (I'm sure I butchered that--he needs a name that's easier to spell!). Heck, just give it to Brad Pitt for the third time! Normally, I'm sure Tom Cruise would be in the running, but since all this Katie Holmes nonsense, he's pretty much shot himself in the foot. Oh, and Jen, Mel Gibson has won the title before, and I believe Brad Pitt is the only man to have earned it twice (and Sean Connery was the oldest to win it at age 60). I listen to entertainment gossip more than I pay attention to actual world news--how sad :dizzy:

Jen415
11-18-2005, 09:58 AM
Jill: Me too--LOVE Entertainment Tonight, Access Hollywood, Extra, and all the mags too! Kind of a junkie here! One thing I can do without is more publicity for Paris Hilton! (White trash with money, IMO.)

And don't even get me started about Tom Cruise....anyone who would make ignorant statements about psychiatry being a sham or people who take anti depressants being weak is low on my list. And the obnoxious way he's been acting since being with Katie....PUKE!! I hope to goodness Katie's pregnancy and post partum go smoothly....God forbid she should need help if she gets post partum depression! (Okay rant over! LOL)

dragonwoman64
11-18-2005, 10:11 AM
I am more interested in classic looking men, like Richard Gere and Mel Gibson.

I love Mel Gibson (41 here, heh heh). It will probably be after my lifetime that any man better than Robert Redford and/or Paul Newman comes along. Even in their 60s and 70s they are amazing.

I agree the whole Katie Holmes thing ruined Tom Cruise for me, though I was pretty on the fence with him to begin with. I think you might all be surprised by Joaquin (it is hard to spell!) when you see him on the screen (if you haven't seen him in a movie yet), he has real charisma.

Aimee, I don't take baths very often, I use the gel in the shower with one of those bath loofah things. I was watching Top Model (since they went to London) and got a laugh out of them all squeezed in the phonebooth in just undies. Ladies, honestly, it doesn't matter how good you look, please use deorderant!

Another stone I really like for jewelry is citrine (http://www.jewelrycentral.com/Target_Citrine.html). I saw a pair of antique citrine drop earrings when we were in the Hudson Valley a bunch of years ago. I enjoy window shopping, but the truth is I very rarely see anything I feel like I have to have. When I saw those earrings, I couldn't leave without buying them.

:carrot: 2 lbs lost! :carrot: Congrats!

The evil scale spoke to me this morning and didn't say anything good. I gained -- and if you knew how much I hate saying this -- 3 lbs. :cry: :yikes: I don't think I ate enough to really gain that much weight, and I've been slowing increasing the exercise, so who knows, maybe it's water weight and/or bulking. Jill, I'm making your 1/2 lb look not so bad! :lol: You know this is after 3 weeks of losing, and 2 weeks of not eating any chocolate. It's frustrating. What can I do but buckle down this upcoming week (which is Thanksgiving!).

Kimberley, too bad the parka wasn't warm enough. I've had my eye on the long underwear (http://www.landsend.com/cd/index/fp/0,,59277,00.html?sid=4354132782613131231) for a couple of years. I don't take the cold well. I grew up in Northern California were the normal temperature range throughout the year is about 40 degrees (from 40 to 80).

Well, that's my book for today, gotta jump in the shower. I went to the gym this morning and had a nice workout. It's dang cold here, in the mid-30s.

Take it easy, chicas.

SwimGirl
11-18-2005, 11:42 AM
Marge - i have faith that you will lose that next week.. and I am digging into why I am overweight to begin with (having a life coach as a manager helps!)... I'm hoping to "let go" of this weight and then I can help you too!! I'll help the WORLD!

Okay, I have a huge huge huge headache, we are talking migraine strength.. so this hurts to type. I am off to work... I have no choice.. I'll talk to you ladies later!

-Aimee

Gardenwife
11-18-2005, 12:51 PM
Hope your headache cleared up, Aimee -- those are the pits. I'm thankful I've not had headaches the last several weeks.

I forgot to tell you guys that the reason the cable was out is kinda embarassing. See, there's these little metal connectors at the ends of the coax cable sections, ya know? And they can wiggle loose without coming completely off the cable. Heh. In our case, the cable was actually separated from the connector, back in the rear of the cabinet we have the modem in. Sheesh. It's probably been loose for some time, and finally popped off. Fortunately, I saw the problem in time to call the cable co and cancel their visit here!! ;)

I'm down 2 pounds this week. Woo!

Jen415
11-18-2005, 02:54 PM
Kimberley: Congrats on the 2 pounds!! :):) And the cable incident? Could happen to anyone. A similar issue happened to me with my computer. I felt like a dorkus maximus.

Aimee: I hope the headache goes away. I've had some bad ones in my time, bad enough to get nauseated from it. Migrane strength should do the trick for you.

Marge: Looks like we are approximately the same age! I'm 40... You and I were young adults when Mel Gibson and Kevin Costner ruled the screen--remember Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, and The Bodyguard? YUMMM!!! Don't know what's happened to him lately--his recent movies are crappy, IMO. I plan to see Walk the Line sometime this week, so I will get to see young Mr Phoenix in action. I saw him on Oprah recently--very handsome for a youngster! LOL ;)

Gardenwife
11-18-2005, 04:16 PM
Oh, I think Costner is really handsome, as is Mel Gibson. :faint: Those eyes!!

Jen415
11-18-2005, 04:54 PM
Hey gals--just wanted to let you know I won't be around until next Tuesday. I'm taking Monday off work to spend extra time with my best friend and godson when they come to visit--they are on their way now!!:):):)

Have a great weekend--see you Tuesday!

SwimGirl
11-18-2005, 06:21 PM
Jen - have fun with them :)

I decided to come home from work, well not really... my manager sent me home. The headache is mostly gone, I have some residual stomach nausea... I think I am getting sick, the headache settled into my sinus's, so I bought some London Drugs brand extra strength sinus medication. Wow... London Drugs is a local chain, and their brand of drugs are ALWAYS so much better then their name brand counterparts. Dunno why, probably a mental thing.. either way I am feeling better. Fortunately I accomplished enough to justify going home!

BTW - Matthew McConaughey is HOT in my books! I love his accent, and every time I hear about him it's always a nice story. Oh and Jerry O' Connell?? He is a hot hot man. His eyes are so nice... shhh.. my bf might not like to hear I'm saying all of this! ;)

Marge - I have missed every single America's Next Top Model this season, I've had the crappy Wed night shifts for a while. Fortunately I am not addicted to it! One less tv show fo rme to watch.. I don't like the cold, I grew up in the cold.. so I don't get it myself. Vancouver is fairly mild, one of the most mild places in Canada. You know I was thinking, I basically live in the best place in Canada, there is no up from this.. so what does a person strive for?? Hmmm..

Kimberley - that is fairly embarrassing, but fortunately you caught it before anyone else found out! My brother used to be a tech person at the local ISP, one time he talked to a lady and she couldn't figure out why her internet wasn't working... turned out that her modem was switched off. True story! We all do stuff like that.. women are just the ones who admit it!

I think i'm gonna go nap... teehee... bye gals!

-Aimee

dragonwoman64
11-19-2005, 10:15 AM
Marge - i have faith that you will lose that next week.. and I am digging into why I am overweight to begin with (having a life coach as a manager helps!)... I'm hoping to "let go" of this weight and then I can help you too!! I'll help the WORLD!

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll take the help. :) I actually know in my heart we'll both do it. We'll all do it. Congrats on the 2 lbs, Kimberley. :)

Jen, I agree about Kostner, he is cute, I've seen all those movies (and some of the bad ones too, heh heh). Yep, Mel has great eyes. I want to see Walk the Line, let me know how you like it. And have fun with your friends.

BTW - Matthew McConaughey is HOT in my books! I love his accent, and every time I hear about him it's always a nice story. Oh and Jerry O' Connell?? He is a hot hot man. His eyes are so nice... shhh.. my bf might not like to hear I'm saying all of this!

heh heh, well, Rob gets his Victoria's Secret commercials.

I basically live in the best place in Canada, there is no up from this.. so what does a person strive for??

yeah, your area of the world sounds really nice. I'd like to come see it one day.

I gotta go do some shopping today and get some other stuff done.

Take care, all.

Gardenwife
11-19-2005, 02:32 PM
Alert the Media:
** It's an unprecedented Saturday afternoon post from Kimberley! **

Howie called last night and said he was going to drag the tree upstairs when he got home from work and put it up. He puts the lights on as he assembles each row, kind of drizzling them in between the rows, so it's a one-step process. Anyway, he did just that, and we decided to go ahead and decorate it right then rather than wait until today. I love getting out the ornaments each year, talking with Howie about the people who gave them to us or the event they signify. There's one ornament with a sealpoint Siamese cat which we now fondly look at in rememberance of Elliott.

We finally got to bed about 7:00am. Neither of us slept well, just kinda wired and out of sync with our normal schedule. He finally gave up trying at 11:00am and just got up. I toughed it out until 1:00pm. ;)

Other than his watching the OSU-Michigan game and our going to Caribou tonight, we have no plans today. His brother came over and did some work out in the yard. God bless the guy, he's hurting, too...But he still helps us.

We splurged this year and went with a farm-fresh turkey, s tomorrow we'll pick up our turkey and box of fixin's from a local farmer group. Mmmmmmm! Since we're expecting about 13 adults plus a few kids, we're going to get a second turkey, just from the grocery store. We want leftovers!

SwimGirl
11-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Is it Thanksgiving weekend in the USA?

Marge - we need to just DO IT! Just like nike says! I have the Manifesto of Lululemon on the wall in my bedroom, it definitely inspires me (when I'm not purposely ignoring it! ;) ).

Kimberley - this is an odd one from you eh? My goodness! And a christmas tree already up? Do you possibly love it more than I do??

Today I woke up late, with a sinus headache AGAIN.. I'm actually wondering if it's an infection? Anyways, I relaxed, read a magazine.. Michael Kors inspired me to find my own style! So I was going thru fashion mags picking out things that I like, to see if maybe there is a clue there.. we'll see how it all turns out!

Marge - I have a question... is there a way to shop at Bloomingdale's online? There is a Betsey Johnson scarf I *must* have, and I was going to see if my brother can buy it online.. it's SO cute, and so expensively nice... I'm in LOVE.. lol.

Josh is taking me out for dinner, so I better go get myself all pretty!

-Aimee

dragonwoman64
11-20-2005, 03:31 PM
The turkey sounds great, Kimberley. We're going for a turkey breast, a full turkey for the 5 of us is too much. Our place is too small for a tree, but we bought 2 live potted baby trees from the local Polish store, a spruce and a false cypress (Lenny Spruce and Elwood).

Have no fear, my Canadian twin, we'll do it. One step at a time. Actually Thanksgiving is next Thursday, so my next weigh in is Thursday morning -- I'm planning on those lbs being GONE.

I think the dry air is giving me sinus headaches.

Yes, Virginia, there's is Bloomingdale's online (http://search.bloomingdales.com/exec/?n=1&all=u2&u1=q&PseudoCat=b.comSearch&u2=t2&c=16&t2=Shoes%20and%20Accessories--Wraps%20and%20Scarves&q=scarf) but they don't always carry everything that's in the store. :( I did a quick google and saw a couple at Dillard's (http://www.dillards.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=301&langId=-1&storeId=301&productId=500824610&N=1111722+2010001&searchUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dillards.com%2Fendeca%2 FEndecaStartServlet%3FN%3D1111722%2B2010001&R=AF-194) online. Very cute.

Today I did an early morning gym session (boy, was that place empty), then Rob and I did a little shopping in the neighborhood. Then we went and sat in the park for a little while. Nice and sunny today, not too chilly, lots of colorful leaves still. Think I need to go take a nap.

Gardenwife
11-21-2005, 01:44 AM
Dry air does it to me, too. The best thing I ever do in the winter is use our humidifier. It's a console model that takes care of our whole house. I can really tell a difference when I use it!

The turkeys they received for the Thanksgiving boxes were only 11-14 pounds each...We'd all been told they'd be 17-18 pound birds. Instead of refunding a little of the price or throwing in extra produce or staples, they just said they were sorry. Not so good. :S The "pumpkin pie" pumpkin they included only weighs 2.7 pounds, and I doubt that's enough to make a pie from. We're pretty disappointed with the whole thing. The produce is nice, but boy...

We picked up a second turkey at Wal-Mart. They matched another local store's price, so we only paid $6 and some change for a 20-pound turkey. It was 29-cents/lb. What is the going rate where you live?

Aimee, yeah, I *do* love Christmastime. :) Have you looked on eBay for your Betsey Johnson scarf?

jillybean720
11-21-2005, 06:31 AM
All this talk of turkey--I've always been the odd one out on Thanksgiving because I don't like turkey! :dizzy: My mother always had to buy a 20+ pound turkey when we did T-Day at our house because she has 3 brothers, 2 are married, and one remarried a woman with 2 daughters who are both married and have 3 and 4 kids, so when the whole gang gets together, it's 23 people (including children). We're not doing that whole shabang for T-Day this year, though--we're doing it for Christmas instead since my aunt is a nurse and only gets every other holiday off, so her kids (the 2 married girls with the 7 kids between them) go to their father's on the holidays when their mother has to work. But christmas will certainly be a full house, and I think my mother is cooking turkey for that!

Jeff and I are going to his cousins' for Thanksgiving (the ones whose basement he lived in for over 2 years), and I said I would bring some sort of dessert, but now I don't know what! I said no pie (since I always seem to burn the crust), so now I've got to find something good to make on Wednesday. Eek! :?:

Well, I've got a ton of work to do here at the office (feast or famine, I tell ya!), so I'd better get crackin'. Hope your Mondays all start your weeks off right! :hug:

Gardenwife
11-21-2005, 08:28 AM
Hey, Jill - Good morning, lady! :) You don't like turkey? Oh, the pain...The pain. Actually, you'd be the first person we'd invite over (more leftover turkey for us!). ;) Do you like apple salad? Maybe you could make that? My MIL makes one with apples, sliced grapes, walnuts, and Miracle Whip Light. OH, what a wonderful combination of flavors.

I had another rough night, a combination of my shoulders and hips hurting and my having too much coffee too late at night. After realizing I was awake more than I slept, I finally just got up so I wouldn't be lying there awake *and* sore. My recliner's prtty comfortable and good for a nap later.

The new coat should arrive today. Crossing my fingers it's not Pepto or neon!

dragonwoman64
11-21-2005, 10:30 AM
20 lbers go for about $17 in our local grocery store. Our 5 lb turkey breast is $12 (from a butcher, they wrap it in bacon and stuff it with herbs and garlic). We have it once a year, at Thanksgiving, so it's a nice splurge. Plus the prep is just throwing it in the oven, can't beat that.

Jill, you could make a fruit salad, dress it up fancy with kiwi slices and red grapes, apples, oranges, canteloupe, strawberries. Then bring a store bought pound cake (or if you want to make one, they're fairly easy). Entemanns's pound cakes are great. Or make a pumpkin bread. I make a fresh cranberry bread with orange that I like, but Rob thinks it's too cakey (ie heavy). I don't think there's anything wrong with buying the pie.

I'm going to make a sweet potato pie, we tried it one year and loved it so much we make it over the apple or pumpkin. I agree, the crust can be a bear to make. My mom was so good at it! She always made filled cookies for Christmas, sort of a soft sugar cookie with two types of fillings, one with pineapple and one with raisins.

That sucks, Kimberely, about the missed night of sleep. After years of tossing and turning, when that happens to me, I finally caught on and learned to get up and read. Staying in bed is useless and frustrating.

I just booked a room for my boss at the Lowell (http://www.lowellhotel.com/) to stay in while his condo is being painted. Not too shabby, hunh.

SwimGirl
11-21-2005, 10:32 PM
Hey! Sorry I've been MIA these past few days! Last night I came home from work and was asleep by 8:30pm, and I woke up at 8:30 am! Can you believe it?!? I felt better today, and then I went to work, I swear the heat is just MAXED out, because I sweat without moving! My manager says no, but she's always cold. I just can't work where it's too warm, and people don't want to try anything on in that kinda temp either.

Kimberley - that was a pretty early morning post from you! Whats going on there?? ;) I didn't even THINK to check ebay! I shall tho.. because it's beautiful! I couldn't find it anywhere else. I checked ebay, nothing. Looks like I'dhave to call Bloomingdale's, see if something could be arranged if I *really* need it. heh. How come you are so sore these days? I hate it when things keep me awake at night!

Marge - not too shabby at all! I'd stay there! heh. So on that weight loss front, I jumped on my scale this morning, habit, and I was suprised at what it said! It told me that I am maintaining those 2 pounds lost! I thought I'd be up considering my dinner Sunday night, I guess not!

Jill - Are you happy to be busy at work? Sometimes it's nice, other times, I'd like to just lean on the counter and not move.. lol. I sure do hope that I'm out of retail in the new year, it's exhausting!

I am making chicken breast, broccoli, in a red curry sauce over rice. Sounds yummy, right? I am excited! I better go start that rice! Talk to you all later!!

-Aimee

Gardenwife
11-21-2005, 11:04 PM
Your dinner sounded goo, Aimee. I'm sore mostly from the bursitis in my hips. I think I have it in both my shoulders, too, just judging by how similar the aching is. I've taken two long naps in the recliner today and feel like I could sleep more...Kinda dreading trying to sleep on our bed tonight, in all truth. Maybe tonight I'll try a Tylenol PM.

There are so many stores selling turkey in our area, the stores are very competitive with their pricing. Had Wal-Mart not matched another store's price, the bird would have been 68-cents/pound.

SwimGirl
11-22-2005, 12:11 AM
My dinner was SO gross! I don't know what happened, it all started good. It was that sauce, phew, and it SMELLS pretty bad too! Josh went and got me a personal pan pizza, no one was in the mood to cook after that stinky thing. Phew, gross!

Kimberley - I hate trying to sleep after you had a horrible nights sleep the night before, does that make any sense? I'd take the tylenol PM too!

-Aimee

jillybean720
11-22-2005, 06:35 AM
Aimee--sorry your dinner didn't work out (thought your last post was mildly amusing to me here at 6:30am :p ). At least you tried something new, and now you know not to try it again ;)

Kimberley--My mother has bursitis as well (in her shoulder, I think), and she also has some sort of arthritis in her hips. My grandmother had bad arthritis as well, so I hope I skipped that family gene! I have bad knees as it is from 12 years of playing softball while carrying extra weight (speaking of which, one of my knees hurts right now--maybe because it's raining?). I hate to see my mother popping her pain relievers and Tylenol PM all the time (literally the first thing she does every morning and the last thing she does at night)--I wish there was a way to just make the pain all go away!

Alright, so Jeff wants me to make an ice cream cake for dessert for Thanksgiving. What he seems to ignore is the fact that it's about an hour drive to his cousins' house, and I just don't think the ice cream would make it. However, I did find a recipe online yesterday that has you freeze the cake in a pan lined with plastic wrap, and then just lift the cake out by the plastic wrap, so maybe I could keep the whole thing in the pan in the car and stick it in the freezer as soon as we got to their house. They're doing dinner around 4-4:30, and we'll be there around 2, so it should have plenty of time to re-freeze completely before dessert. Worth a shot, right?

If the ice cream cake proves to be a total disaster, my backup plan is a cookie pizza. It's just a giant sugar cookie in a pizza pan (could also be a brownie or chocolate chip cookie or whatever you want) with some cream cheese frosting and sliced fruit (I like strawberries, kiwi, banana, and crushed pineapple) on top, then drizzled with a little chocolate or caramel. YUM! And I'm sure I can find ways to reduce calories in the cookie mix, and I could make my own frosting with fat-free cream cheese and stuff, so it wouldn't be all too horrible. But, since I spoil my Jeff, I will attempt the ice cream cake first :p

Alright, just have to get through today and tomorrow and then the week is done!

dragonwoman64
11-22-2005, 11:02 AM
Boy, it's storming here. Cold, rainy, thunder and lightning, and it's supposed to snow on Thanksgiving Day. Not sure if you're getting any of this, Jill, but drive safely on T-Day in any event. If the cake melts, tell them it's ice cream soup. ;)

Aimee, we have an envelope full of take out menus for those times when cooking flubs happen.

I thought the gym would be empty this morning, with the weather and the holiday coming. Once again I was wrong. I guess people might be gearing up for the big calorie consumption day, heh heh.

Very strange to think we almost had a turkey as our national bird.

Jen415
11-22-2005, 12:43 PM
Hi gals! I'm back (temporarily)!

Having a BLAST with my friends from Indiana...taking them to the beach and to the zoo and all those other touristy things. The best thing is spending time talking with my best friend. She is the one person on this earth that know it ALL about me and loves me anyway!! :):)

I'm in the office today and tomorrow, but will be gone until next week for the Thanksgiving holiday. We are planning a nice dinner with our English friends that winter here (this will be their second Thanksgiving ever!).

Aimee and Kimberley: I hope your respective illnesses improve! It stinks to be sick on a holiday.

Jill: The ice cream cake sounds yummy! I wouldn't have a CLUE where to begin to make one, though!

Marge: Good for you for heading to the gym! You'll be much better off than me, who not only has not exercised (unless you count walking around shopping and sightseeing), but has eaten whatever was there!! I DREAD the scale reading at the end of this holiday!!

Will try to check in later!!

SwimGirl
11-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Goodmorning!! Anothing foggy day here, I wonder how many car accidents have been caused by this? I live far enough up on the mountain that we are STARTING to see a little sun.

So which day is Thanksgiving again for you gals?

Jill - I wonder if that ice cream cake will make it, I'd definitely look into some ice packs! Don't you love those short weeks?

Marge - wait until January! Your gym will be PACKED! Lets go to the Oprah christmas best things show, k? I want all those things! heh..

Jen - glad you are having fun with your friend :) And while that scale might say a couple pounds up, it might be worth it... well maybe. Either way, drink LOTS of water and drink some peppermint tea the night before you weigh in. You'll be up all night peeing, but it'll be worth it! You don't wanna be retaining water!

Well, I am off to relax, maybe do a little reading! I'll talk to you all later!

-Aimee

Gardenwife
11-22-2005, 02:23 PM
Howdy, howdy. The one Tylenol PM did the trick and I slept in bed last night just fine. Sure felt good!

Aimee, Thanksgiving's on Thursday -- it's the last Thursday of November, so the date changes.

Ice cream cake sounds wonderful. Keeping it in the pan sounds like a plan. Try putting the loaf pan down in a container of ice, plus putting a flat container with ice on the top of it. Sure sounds delicious.

I've got to get my grocery list made up; Howie and I are going shopping in the wee hours after he gets off work. More later! :)

Gardenwife
11-22-2005, 06:15 PM
Hey, the new commuter coat came today. I like it a lot better! The down is warmer than the parka's fleece, plus it's nice and long. The sleeves are longer than the parka's, too. Lastly, the parka had a slicker fabric for the shell, whereas this one is more like cotton. I just like it better all around. My new scarf and hat don't go so great with it, but I bought them to compliment a blue coat! ;)

SwimGirl
11-22-2005, 07:31 PM
Kimberley - glad to hear your new coat arrived :) Even better that the sleeves are longer. I completely dislike coats with sleeves that are too short, I would refuse to buy it!

I am suffering with a headache today, I'm going to try a really steamy shower, and possibly more drugs. Take care!

-Aimee

jillybean720
11-23-2005, 06:28 AM
Kimberley--glad your new coat works out better for you! Now your kids (dogs) don't have to hurry when they go out ;) OH, and is it the color pink/red you were expecting?

Aimee--hope that headache cleared up. It's one of the worst feelings because you can't really do much to make it better other than pray that pain relievers work (unlike a sore muscle you can relax or a sore throat you can soothe with ice cream...).

Jen--glad you're having fun with your friends! Oh, and the beach?! In NOVEMBER?! I have never lived anywhere where that was quite possible (unless it's for the Polar Bear Club or whatever--those who go swimming in freezing cold water :p ).

Marge--We had rain yesterday and the day before, and they're saying there's even a slight chance of snow (just flurries--nothing major) tomorrow morning here. I really wish we did have snow by now--growing up in CT, I'm used to having snow pretty much from Thanksgiving (sometimes even Halloween) through Easter!

Well, I have decided to 86 the ice cream cake (for those of you who've never worked in a restaurant, that means I'm not making it ;) ). I'm going to do the cookie pizza instead. I stopped at the store yesterday and just bought some refrigerated sugar cookie dough, a can of whipped cream cheese frosting, and a bunch of fruit (fresh strawberries, bananas, kiwis, and a can of crushed pineapple), plus I'm going to drizzle a bit of caramel over the top. Should be yummy but dangerous since I am lazy and don't want to make anything from scratch to be healthier :devil:

Since I don't have TOPS this week because of the holiday tomorrow, I hopped on the scale this morning (like I do every morning anyway, but still). According to my home scale, I am down 2 pounds from what the same scale said last week. Now the real trick will be to see what it says on Friday morning :dizzy:

dragonwoman64
11-23-2005, 10:01 AM
Aimee, that Oprah show is a doozie, isn't it. If you like the peppermint tea, you might like green tea. A friend of mine sent me some and I love it. Don't think it gets rid of excess water though. Feel better. That's an order! heh heh. I'm not looking forward to a packed gym. I usually go pretty early though, so maybe I'll avoid the worst of it.

Hey, Jen, I had Jill's reaction, the beach in November, brrr. I've been having anxiety attacks getting out of the shower these cold mornings. (we have a chapter of the polar bear club that goes swimming on Coney Island, btw) I know it's a holiday, but I'm dreading getting on that scale next week too! These past couple of weeks haven't been so great for me weight loss wise.
Cool you get to celebrate T-day with English friends. They must get a kick out of it.

Jill, I don't see how people won't be happy with the combination of cookie and pizza! Have you seen those new chocolate chips they have? some with swirls of peanut butter, some with swirls of caramel, omg, how can they keep coming up with these things. I almost ran to the store when I saw the commercial. (Happy to say I didn't.) Man, you're dropping the pounds. Send some of that mojo my way, I need it.

Kimberley, the coat sounds very cozy. Now you can ask santa for a new scarf to match the new coat.

Rob's getting our turkey breast today, so I have to make room in the fridge. Today I make the pie and he makes the cranberry sauce. I bought candle holders in the shape of fall leaves for the table. Time for some coffee.

Gardenwife
11-23-2005, 02:16 PM
Have I mentioned how good to see you guys each day? :)

The new coat is toasty and I love it. Last night we went grocery shopping after Howie got off work, taking in three all-nighter stores because the produce selection was so bad at each one. My coat kept me warm during all that running -- even my legs were warm, which for me is half the battle. The color is a berry red, not fucshia but not deep red.

We were going to pick up a couple of buckets for brining our turkeys, but I said it would make sense to buy a storage container we could use for other stuff after the holiday. Howie had the idea of buying one of those big tubs with the rope handles, so we could just put both birds in the same container. I knew I married him for a reason.

Jen415
11-23-2005, 03:38 PM
Hi ladies!

Jill: Probably the best thing to 86 the ice cream cake--you can save it for a special occasion with your sweetie! :hug:

I live on the east coast of Florida, approximately an hour from Orlando and 30 minutes from Kennedy Space Center. It has been awesome to watch launches so close up. I live about 10 minutes from the nearest beach. Funny thing about living so close to all these attractions is I rarely go to them. I haven't been to any of the theme parks in Orlando yet! But I do love living where I don't have to worry about snow and bitter cold. I kinda miss the cold at this time of year though--it doesn't feel much like thanksgiving when you are wearing capri pants and tank tops! I'm originally from Indiana, and am used to being all bundled up this time of the year. I really miss seeing the leaves change color....

Kimberley: The coat sounds GREAT! Can you put a pic up?

The only all-night groceries around here are Wal-Mart, and sometimes their produce leaves something to be desired. I always go to Publix, which is a chain of regular priced grocers in Florida. Their produce is very fresh! When I can, I love to go to the roadside produce stands as well.

Aimee: Poor thing! I hope you can get better soon. It sucks to be sick!! I'll try the peppermint tea idea....is peppermint a natural diuretic or something?

Marge: What kind of pie are you making? (Just about any kind sounds good to me!! ) Last year, our English friends joined us for their first Thanksgiving at a mutual friend's house. The friends also had their extended dysfunctional family there as well--so they got to experience a REAL American Thanksgiving! LOL This year they will be with my boyfriend and me and my best friend and her family visiting from Indiana. What a hodge podge of guests!

This will be my last post until next week--the day I step on the scale and see what kind of damage has been done. Hopefully I won't set myself back too much!

Take care ladies!! :carrot:

SwimGirl
11-23-2005, 11:50 PM
Hey Girls! I realize this site will be down tomorrow, my goodness! What am I gonna do without ya'll? I've been very quiet lately, I'm sorry! Things are a little crazy over here, and I feel pulled in like 10 directions. I gotta get focused.

I hope you all have a GREAT holiday and I'll see you on Friday!! :)

-Aimee

dragonwoman64
11-24-2005, 12:52 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone who celebrates it.

I'm glad to have everybody here too, thanks. :)

Kimberley, I envy your coat, ha. Yesterday I went to get a loaf of bread and I had on a heavy t-shirt, a turtleneck, a sweater, a coat, a hat, a scarf, and I was still cold. I looked like the kid from Home Alone (I can't move my arms!). I've heard about brining the turkey but never tried it.

It's a sweet potato pie, Jen. Once I tried making one a few years back, we loved it so much we make it every year now. Rob crimped the edges of the crust and it looks very professional.

This year they will be with my boyfriend and me and my best friend and her family visiting from Indiana. What a hodge podge of guests!

you all are going to have a great time. I'd love to have my French friends over, but this year isn't the year.

Lucky you to be near Orlando! I wouldn't mind some warmth here! (see above, :lol: ) Rob's never been to Disney World or Land, so we thought about going, may be a few years down the line though (do you remember those commercials for Disney with the couple dancing, their names were Marge and Bob, heh heh).

Amiee, mon amie, hang in there! :goodvibes :hug: Don't worry, you are strong, you are invincible, you can do anything! You are woman! That just dated me, didn't it. ;) Take care of yourself.

I got on the scale today and I maintained, which is ok. It's not unusual for me to lose a lb from Thursday to weigh in day, Friday. Obviously I won't this week since today is feast day. Holidays are tough on diets, that's for surre.

SwimGirl
11-24-2005, 01:27 PM
Wow! I thought this site was supposed to be down all day? But here we are!

Jill - I've heard the term 86 before.. I dunno anyone who's worked in the restaurant industry. I wonder where the term origionated from... hmm. Good plan on the ice cream cake, I don't know that it would have made it! I wish I hadn't missed Canadian Thanksgiving, hopefully I don't miss Christmas too. I love stuffing, and the whole works.. my family doesn't do desserts, but everything is sooo yummy :)

Marge - I have tried green tea, not a huge fan. I barely like peppermint tea, but it helps calm my stomach, and that diuretic fact is just a tiny bonus. It doesn't always do anything, but it helped when I was retaining water a few days ago! I was watching Oprah when she had the guy who lost 302 pounds come back, I definitely cried. He is such a sweet man. Tell me, why does Dr Phil suck so much these days? His topics bore me.

Kimberley - All nighter stores? My goodness! We have 7-11 thats open all night long, heh. I think there is a safeway thats open until 12am. We are little behind the times out here, its' gotta be handy tho! What colour is this new jacket? I forgot!

Jen - How long have you lived in Florida? When I was a young gal, about 12ish, my family went to Florida for 6 weeks. We stayed with my mom's friend in Tampa and then drove all around there, staying at hotel's on the beach, we went to disney world and somewhere else that I can't remember at this moment. It was TONS of fun, and also fun to be swimming in the ocean in the middle of December! Peppermint is a natural diuretic, it's not really a powerful one, but it sure helped when I was holding about 5 pounds of water the other day :)

Well thats all from me today, I am off to work! Have a good one! And happy American Thanksgiving!

-Aimee

SwimGirl
11-24-2005, 01:36 PM
Marge - it took me so long to post that you posted while I was! I weighed today as well, and maintained as well. I know I'll get there.. I just need to get a little focused, and sometimes it's hard to do in a messy house! Does that even make sense??

-Aimee

Gardenwife
11-24-2005, 08:19 PM
Hey, everyone. I visited 3FC around 4am and read Jen's post. By the time I replied and hit send, the site was offline. What timing! :)

Thanksgiving dinner was a smashing success, far as I could tell. People really liked the turkey and my pies were a hit! They were an ordeal, but worth it.

I made two sweet potato & cream cheese pies :devil: and one pumpkin pie. I'd never made pies from scratch before, not like those, anyway. After hours of getting the dough prepared, chilling it, and fighting with it as I *tried* to roll it out, I ended up falling back on my backup plan: Pillsbury refrigerated ready-to-bake pie crusts! My crusts were too crumbly after pre-baking them and kept breaking off. My pumpkin pie is the only one with my crust, and it got too brown! :cry: People didn't seem to mind, though, and there was one piece left. The sweet potato seemed to be the favorite. Seems everyone brought pies, so there were plenty to go around.

I made maple leaves out of pie dough and put them on top of the pies. I thought about you when I picked out what leaf to do, Aimee! I put the still-hot leaves on top of the pies and they melted the custard just enough to stick just right. I was so pleased with them! If pies were good for you, I'd make them more often...They are definitely not low-fat or low-calorie. Okay, enough of the food porn!

The coat is a dark berry by name, but I'd say it's a deep, purply red. I'll have to have Howie take a photo. We're both tickled pink by the service and quality of the merchandise at Land's End. They have some great sales in their overstocks and countdown areas, too.

I was going to attach pictures from today, but that part isn't functional yet, looks like.

SwimGirl
11-25-2005, 01:07 AM
Hi Kimberley! I could get down with some pie's!! Bring me some ;) The colour of your coat sounds GREAT!!

http://cottonginny.ca/home.html

Thats the webpage of the company I work for, I think you can see a few things we offer, not much... it's too bad you all don't live here! We are having a "family and friends" day, where I can get 50% off for them. I am getting tons of stuff for tons of people, they of course are giving me the money to do this. I hope to get the total up to $300! It's amazing the outlook you have on clothes when they are all 50% off, this fleece jacket at work that I like is 30 bucks.. it's just alright, a little thin, not worth 30 bucks really.. but definitely worth 15 bucks!

Alrighty! I am off to help Josh make a late dinner, and myself some lunch for tomorrow! Talk to you all tomorrow!

-Aimee

Gardenwife
11-25-2005, 01:53 AM
I'd like to know just how this chick (http://cottonginny.ca/who-is.html) accomplished that! LOL Shoot, if your store's clothes make people able to leap hay rolls like that...Anything's possible! ;)

Ohhhhh, sweets, why do you have to taste so good? I was fine with all the other stuff, but I overdid it on sweets. It's so easy to just keep munching on them -- pick a nibble here, another there.

SwimGirl
11-25-2005, 02:04 AM
Now, I'm not a model, BUT! This is how it worked, she was jumping on a trampoline. Partly the company is a sham... for I make very very little money. 1.50 over minimum wage, and I'm an Assistant Manager. My benefits were not worth getting, and they do not provide any sort of pension... It's not my future I'll tell you THAT much!

I made strawberry tea tonight... not very yummy...

-Aimee

Gardenwife
11-25-2005, 02:13 AM
Ah, the ubiquitous trampoline - friend of girls everywhere! Really, we all need one. ;)

Our cable has been out all day today...And this time it's not us. The phone tech said he could not get a signal from our modem. A technician is going to have to come out and no one's available until MONDAY. So, we're dialed in. Howie's mom is zonked out for the night, so he's dialed in on her line and I'm on ours. It's handy we're nightowls and can steal her phone connection at night. ;)

Strawberry tea doesn't sound too good. We have some blueberry green tea we really like, though.

SwimGirl
11-25-2005, 11:28 AM
Slow going this morning on my end! Took almost 15 minutes for this page to fully load... dunno if it's just me? I can't seem to get other sites to work properly either. Ah the internet.. so annoying sometimes! How do you handle dialup? I had no issues chatting on it, but wow, it takes forever for sites to load! My mom has dialup, the company she has her email addy with doesn't offer cable/adsl.. and she wants to keep her email address. She's very silly.

Well I am off to work! Have a good day gals!

-Aimee

dragonwoman64
11-25-2005, 01:05 PM
Dr. Phil has been kind of sucking these days. I'm kind of tired of the bratty kid episodes too. I actually get the messy house seeping into the thought process idea. It felt good to clean up the apartment before US Thanksgiving meal.

Kimberley, I have Baking Illustrated (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0936184752/002-3008264-3456802?v=glance&n=283155&v=glance), which isn't maybe the best book to have while trying to lose weight, but their instructions for single crust prebaked pie shells are really good. I roll out the dough between sheets of lightly flour dusted plastic wrap. Once the dough is in the pie plate, refrigerate it for about 40 minutes, then put it in the freezer for another 20. Line the pie with two sheets of tin foil, fill the foil with rice or beans (or pie weights), precook it 25 to 30 minutes (375), take the foil with the rice out and cook it for about another 5 minutes (this is for a partially baked pie crust that you'll be cooking a custard in). You'll have the prettiest pie crust. Boy, do I love sweet potato pie!

I thought the gym would be empty this morning, but those Thanksgiving over indulgers (me one of them) were treadmilling and ellipticalling away today, heh heh. We all even made it through the brutal one digit cold to get there.

Sorry, it will be a while, if ever, before a trampoline becomes my friend! If I were there I'd definitely go for that sale, 50 percent off I can't even pass up. I do like Land's End. A lot of my stuff comes from there, it washes really well to, and lasts a long time.

Gotta go. The day is going by so fast. Aimee, they call today Black Friday here because it's the big shopping day for Christmas. You'd love it! Lots of huge sales and crazy shoppers. Well, you probably wouldn't like the bloodthirsty shoppers, but you'd like the bargains.

Gardenwife
11-25-2005, 07:34 PM
Black Friday is a lot of fun if you have the money and don't mind crowds, though. The busiest retail day of the year is not that Friday, though, but the last Saturday before Christmas. That's when all the panic comes to a head! LOL

Turns out the cable issue is probably the connector the company gave us to split the cable for the TV and computer. Howie removed that splitter and plugged the cable directly into the modem and the cable started working again. Either our cable is not getting a strong enough signal to be split and still work, or the little splitter is defective. We're going to keep our Monday appointment and see what the tech finds out; looks like they should check our signal strength at any rate.

I spent the afternoon and evening bundled up in my jammies and bathrobe, beneath a blanket and both dogs. Only then was I warm. I've had some cramping and chills off and on, upset tummy, since Monday -- came back last night after eating. I feel better after changing to Ibuprofen, so maybe the upset was due to the Ultracet I've been taking for my pain. If the Ibuprofen works, I'll stick with it!

Howie went to the annual Courthhouse Lighting with our friends and their kids, but I stayed home. The City of Newark decorates the courthouse and grounds each year, and the Friday after Christmas there's a short concert with carols, Santa makes a visit, and "plugs in" the decorations. He makes it seem like the crowd's "Merry Christmas!" is what does it, failing a few times before they finally work for him. He's good at stringing the kids along, always popular. I was kinda bummed to miss it, but the blankey and dogs felt really good.

Tomorrow our friends are coming over for our annual Holiday Feast, kind of the kick-off for the season for us. Usually we have turkey, but since THanksgiving was just a couple days ago, I'm making a 5-hour beef roast with onion soup mix & cream of mushroom soup. We'll have lots of roasted veggies, green bean casserole, and the one remaining sweet potato pie (that worked out well - glad we hid that one back in the fridge yesterday, heh).

Well, we're going out to Caribou for a bit. Our favorite server's last day is Sunday, so we've got to get in our Susan-Time. :)

SwimGirl
11-25-2005, 11:45 PM
Hey gals!! Ah Friday, I love Friday. It was SO SO quiet at work today, we barely had any sales, when I left we maybe had sold 800 dollars in clothes. Thats pretty rough for it only being 4 weeks to christmas! I gotta wonder where all those people are, hopefully it picks up soon. We got some organic cotton baby clothes today, they are pretty cute, very odd, but cute all the same! It's a test, this organic cotton stuff. It's very thin, and in very not nice colours... but this ain't my company. Gotta wonder where they came up with that!

Marge - I love the elliptical.. love love love it. I used to go on it everyday for 45 minutes, with some good music pumping, its an enjoyable workout. In my crazy days I'd do 45 minutes on the stair master, I'd sweat like crazy and my legs would be nicely sore. 50% is hard to pass up! At my old company I would abuse my discount regularly.. it was more acceptable there though. This company watches the sizes we buy, it's very odd. I enjoy shopping, I could possibly enjoy "Black Friday". Give me a cup of coffee and a good nights sleep and I can handle anything. I'm better alone on those things, because the people I usually go with are so clingy and can't manage crowds. I'm so mean sometimes.. heh

Kimberley - pain killers can irritate the stomach lining if taken too much. If you are taking pain killers on a daily basis, you should look into taking "acidopholis". I take two at night, its helping balance my stomach. I don't know if you know about it? It's a good bacteria, it's also like whats in yogurt... just make sure it's the refridgerated stuff! I'm going to spend tomorrow at home, bundled in blankets... mmm.. nice :) I want a pet! Our place is a little too small for one, once we move we might revisit the idea. Or maybe I should get a fish, I really have wanted one for a long time... is that weird?

Alrighty girls, this is just too long! I'll talk to yah'll later!!

-Aimee

Gardenwife
11-26-2005, 12:44 AM
I have some acidophilus capsules -- Forgot all about them. I am going to take them. Thanks for the reminder!

We took a bunch of pictures at Caribou tonight. Ivana (one of the customers I've become friends with) and I are going to make a little scrapbook and send it to Susan in Utah. In the meantime, I'm making a going away card for Susan and we'll give it to her Sunday night - her last night at work. We had such fun tonight with everyone, such a good group.

dragonwoman64
11-26-2005, 11:00 AM
I'm an ibuprofen fan myself. It does sound like that ultracet might be bad news for you. I had about 5 blankets plus a duvet last night, and I wore my nightgown, t-shirt and sweatshirt to bed. They're reluctant to turn up the heat in the building this winter because the fuel costs have gone up so much here. Luckily it's going to warm up over the next few days.

Speaking of waiting until the last minute to shop (I didn't know that was the biggest retail day, heh heh), even though I hate doing that I almost always have to because I forget something. I might go tomorrow and check out some of the Christmas booths at Grand Central, Union Sq, and Bryant Park. I say I might, because I'm one of those woosie crowd haters.

I'm going to do a little xmas baking today.

So, Aimee, do you think Rory and Logan are on the outs for good?

Enjoy your day, ladies. (Jen, I'm picturing you on a beach right now!)

Gardenwife
11-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Beach, smeach...What's wrong with 14-degree lows in Ohio in November?? But they're saying 70 degrees for Monday? :?:

Boy, I hear you on the blankets! We have lowered our thermostat to 65-68 for years, but since we've lost weight, we both get really cold at those temps. When my legs and hands get cold, they get achey, so we've had to nudge the thermostat up to around 70-72. The thermostat is in our hallway, which is probably the central part of the house and isn't on any outside walls...So it thinks the house is warmer than it really is.

The room that is our office is at the end of the ductwork in our house, and stays much cooler than the other rooms, though, so even with the other rooms tolerable, the office is really chilly! We need to get a small, energy-efficient ceramic heater for in here before my fingers break right off as I'm typing.

Our friends are coming over at 2:30pm for our Holiday Feast. I've got a 4-hour roast in the oven (a couple of bottom roasts with cream of mushroom soup, onion soup mix, and portobella mushrooms, all sealed in foil -- baked at 350 for 4 hours). Not too low-cal, but we're also serving roasted new potatoes and roasted veggies, so it'll be balanced. ;)

Guess I'd better crawl into the shower. Mmmmmm, hot shower! I'm outta here! :^:

SwimGirl
11-26-2005, 01:52 PM
Hey!! I have most of the day off today, so I was able to sleep in... :) I'm not too sure what I want to do today, I have some paperwork for this meeting tonight, and should do a little cleaning. But otherwise the day is MINE!! It's going to go FAR too fast.

Marge - I really love Logan and Rory, so I hope not. But I guess we need SOME kinda drama in this show. Personally I'd be happy just to have them all happy all the time, with some funny remarks here and there... but TV just doesn't work like that. I can't find a listing for next weeks episode, so it's possible we are looking at a repeat... fingers crossed we aren't! Shopping sounds like fun! What are you shopping for? Or who? I still have to shop a little more for my mom, brother, aunt, and we have to puchase Josh's dad smoker. It's going to cost us 450 bucks total, uh huh, pretty painful huh? It kinda peeves me, because I bought my mom a straightener and some product, costing 30 bucks, and Josh actually said to me, well your mom is more than half done. His dad gets 450, and my mom gets 60? Yah, not happening! I am at a loss of what to get her though, maybe some clothes.

Kimberley - thats very cute about your barista! I tell yah, when I leave this store I'm going to really miss the customers... a few want to keep in contact with me, very sweet. I can't stand feeling too cold! So I always have warm socks, fuzzy sweat pants, lots of warm sweaters and blankets, lots and lots of blankets. Unfortunately I don't control the heat, so the landlords like it hot, and since we are close to the furnace... it's ALWAYS roasting in here, we are talking tank top and shorts hot. Your roast doesn't sound low fat, low cal, limit that intake girl! You've still got 11 pounds to go. I've got 13, phew, 13 pounds.. Anything is possible, right?? RIGHT!

Alrighty, I am off to make some breakfast and get on my scale, it's an addiction... bad addiction!

-Aimee

Gardenwife
11-26-2005, 04:57 PM
Dinner's over and our friends have headed home. We're heading over there after a bit to watch some Christmas movies and visit. I didn't limit myself quite as much as I should have -- at least I was pretty full on raw veggies first, so I was stuffed with the right stuff. ;) We still have the pie course to eat over at their house with coffee.

Tomorrow...Tomorrow, I don't want to do a darned thing other than play on the computer and get a card made for our barista friend. I thought I'd make a card featuring the "Caribouronaisaurus" joke (the Caribou antler flipped upside-down looks like a brontosaurus, a running joke with us) and the word Caribou-Hoo-Hoo under it. The Caribourontasaurus will have a tear falling from its eye. REALLY cornball, but I know Susan will like it.

Ohhhh, I hate to be a party pooper, but I wish we didn't have to go anywhere tonight. I'm beat! It's mayhem with three kids - I love 'em all, but it's just craziness we're not accustomed to, childless that we are. They're good kids, though, and we always have a good time with our friends.

SwimGirl
11-27-2005, 01:19 AM
Christmas movies? Awww, sounds like fun :) Do you find kids draining? I just can't always handle it myself.. a full day is just SO consuming!

Tonight I went to that staff meeting, it went fine.. nothing exciting. Definitely a little waste of time. But we bonded a little bit... so thats good. My friend came over, and we are hanging out, watching some tv, babbling.. the usual stuff.

Anyways, I better get back to her. Have a good night :)

-Aimee

dragonwoman64
11-27-2005, 02:20 PM
Well, temp went up to 50 today, which is very tolerable, even downright comfortable inside, yahoo. Hope you all are getting the better end of the thermometer as well.

Aimee, Rob and I always have to negotiate the his family/my family gifts too. And my dad's birthday is Dec 11. Then there are several birthdays on his side in Jan.

I wanted to get a couple of friend's of mine small craftsy types of gifts, something kinda of unique to NY (one of those things I end up buying then seeing 5,000 of them at a Pier 1 or something). Once I decided I'd get a Peruvian sweater off a vendor selling on the sidewalk near Radio City. I forget how much it was, but the guy didn't have change. I had already given him some of the cash. I said, hold on a sec, I'll go to the vendor half way down the block and break my $20. By the time I got back he'd managed to pack up and run away, with the sweater and with my cash. That kind of behavior won't get him a dinosaur going away card from me, let me tell you (which is a ery cute card idea).

Kimberley, I know that feeling of wanting to veg out, today I just couldn't drag myself out to do shopping. I knew there'd be crowds out today and I felt more like lying in bed and watching movies. I did go to the gym. Big Fish was playing on HBO2, a very cute movie.

My confession for today is that to avoid an entire day of leftovers we ordered pizza and salad. Spinach pizza, but not particularly a diet item. I'm being a diet numskull lately. Amiee, come kick my rear into shape here.

Well, time to go lounge and do a crossword puzzle.

Gardenwife
11-27-2005, 03:07 PM
Marge, I've been a diet numbskull, too! All told, I had three and a half piece of pie yesterday. Today I'm going to freeze the uneaten leftover turkey and the leftover stuffing and other non-nutritional stuff is going in the trash. I hate to waste food, but I don't want to eat it just because it's there.

This Day of Sloth feels wonderful. I am still in my jammies and robe, and Howie's watching the Redskins game.

SwimGirl
11-27-2005, 10:41 PM
I wish I stayed in my pj's all day. Instead I went to work, and it was returns day, we had SO many returns that it basically looked like we did no sales all day. It was pretty sad. To top that, I had tasks to try and get done.. it was all around a crappy day. To top THAT off? I decided to get on my scale, a bad decision on my part. Granted I wasn't 100% on plan yesterday, I have high expectations here! Lordy!

Marge - people are crappy sometimes, eh? Josh decided that he doesn't want to get his dad a smoker, partly it's because of that whole wage thing... Josh got to the point this year where he makes more than his dad. So he doesn't want to throw it in his face.. but wants to get him something nice.. because he can. It's just a sticky situation. I was talking to my brother and he thinks we should save our money, get all skinny and then go to New York shopping! That would be fun eh? I'll let yah know if something becomes of it..

Alright ladies, this is it! NO more eating bad, we have 4 weeks to christmas, so put those pies, chocolate, all bad foods away!! Take a day, eats tons of fresh fruits and veggies and get that triptofan (I dunno how to spell that word), either way, get it out of your system! This is NOT worth it, drink your water, drink your peppermint tea. We have 4 days until weigh in, and if you have gained, you will not be happy. I will not be happy, those 15 pounds are GOING to come off, we ARE going to do this! Now read this, eat a huge salad and do 50 crunchs and 50 squats!!!!

I am off to make some spaghetti squash and low fat homemade sauce and drink some water. Talk to you all later :)

-Aimee

jillybean720
11-28-2005, 06:22 AM
I third the "diet numbskull" title for the past few days. It's not that I don't know what I should and should not be eating (or how much I should or should not be eating), but it's just so much EASIER to be lazy about it :p Also, after of course having too much on Thanksgiving Day, Jeff and I did a secret shopper evaluation of a REALLY good restaurant for dinner on Friday night and another evaluation at a diner for lunch on Sunday, so 2 free meals out for us, and both required that you order an appetizer, 2 entrees, and a dessert to share :o At least our dessert at the diner yesterday was called "The World's Smallest Sundae"--only 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream with caramel, whipped cream, and a few walnuts, and we split it. Could have been worse :^:

Alas, my scale was quite unhappy with me this morning, as I'm sure most of American's scales are this Monday morning after the 4-day holiday weekend ;) But, back to pumping in the water and getting right back on board! Gotts get rid of these other 11 pounds by Christmas!!

Jen415
11-28-2005, 10:53 AM
I'm back--the QUEEN of the Diet Numbskulls!!:queen: The scale was more than unkind--it was P*ssed OFF!! I became way too relaxed and did exactly what I didn't want to do, causing a HUGE gain! :eek: Alan (my BF) has gained quite a bit too. We are both pretty disgusted with ourselves. HOWEVER--I refuse to wallow in self-pity and self-hatred. (As our 3FC friend Goddess Jessica says: "Hating yourself does nothing to speed up your weight loss.")

It was good to read all your posts the last few days. So sorry all of you have to bundle up so much to stay warm! My friends from Indiana enjoyed playing in the ocean on Thanksgiving day! It was a good day, with a good meal and good conversation as well as some sunshine.

The whole week's visit with our friends was great. My best friend and I pick up where we left off--almost like I never left! We did lots of girly things, like the salon and the nail shop for pedicures and clothes shopping. I really miss her not being around all the time. At least she has a warm vacation destination! I can't remember who asked me this (Marge, I think!), but I have been in Florida for over a year now. Still feels strange listening to Christmas music while driving down the road with your sunroof open!:cool:

As far as Black Friday, I did venture out to Wal-Mart about 8:30 am, after the majority of the crowds were gone. I still got what I went after--THE MAGIC BULLET!! I have always wanted one, but was NOT going to pay 100+$$$ for it! Wal-Mart had them for $44!! I've made some iced mochas with it, and plan to use it for protein shakes, smoothies, chicken and egg salads, etc. There's a web site for it (buythebullet.com), but I haven't made it over there yet.

Man, I have been such a chatty girl this morning!! Will catch you all in a bit!

jillybean720
11-28-2005, 11:29 AM
I'm back--the QUEEN of the Diet Numbskulls!!:queen: The scale was more than unkind--it was P*ssed OFF!!
Haha, that sounds about right for my scale, too! I didn't think it was possible to gain so much in such a short amount of time (I know, I know, water retention and blah blah blah, but still ;) ).
As far as Black Friday, I did venture out to Wal-Mart about 8:30 am, after the majority of the crowds were gone. I still got what I went after--THE MAGIC BULLET!! I have always wanted one, but was NOT going to pay 100+$$$ for it! Wal-Mart had them for $44!! I've made some iced mochas with it, and plan to use it for protein shakes, smoothies, chicken and egg salads, etc. There's a web site for it (buythebullet.com), but I haven't made it over there yet.
I have one!! I had asked for a food processor for my birthday, and my mother got me the Magic Bullet. Really more of a blender, but still, it works great. The only problem is that now I make smoothies ALL the time! It's so easy to just put the ingredients in the cup, blend it, take off the lid, and have it already in a cup and ready to go. All I've used it for so far is smoothies and ham salad, but it seems to work really well. Glad you got a bargain on it!

dragonwoman64
11-28-2005, 01:19 PM
:lol: I guess you all are right, most of America had a free for all eating weekend. Not too worth getting our underwear in a bundle. Kimberley, we finished our pie last night, it's so good and hard to resist. Rob and I and the cat took a nap in the middle of the day Sunday and it felt GREAT.

Aimee, yeah, it's hard not to feel like getting our parents special gifts, you know, because we love them and because we want to show them we're doing well. I know for my dad at least, the older he gets the less he wants to have things. In fact, he gives away all his stuff! That's why now I send him bagels and bake him stuff.

I think I could give you some good tips about NY shopping, and I'd love to meet you irl. It seems like out of towners get weird lists of places to shop from guide books, like Century 21. I wouldn't really even think of going there to shop, but it's full of tourists.

Jill, good to see you back. Restaurants are my downfall usually, hands down. Two free meals, with all the courses, that's pretty cool.

Jen, I miss having that kind of girlfriend around. You're a brave woman venturing out on Black Friday, heh heh. We have limited storage space here, so I have to make sure I really, really, really want a kitchen gadget before I get one.

Monday is the bear it usually is, heh heh. All those pent up frustrations clients have after a long holiday weekend.... I need a can of problems repellant.

Gardenwife
11-28-2005, 01:47 PM
Great to login and see all my favorite ladies posting! :hug: It's a new day, the carnage is in the past, and we're going to survive!

We're waiting for the cable guy to show up...Supposed to be here between Noon-2pm, and to call first, but no call so far. The cable internet's working as long as we have the coax plugged directly into the modem from the wall, but if we use the splitter they gave us, it must not be getting a strong enough signal for the internet to work consistently. So, it's best they still come in and check the lines.

Our friend's last night at the coffee shop was bittersweet. Oodles of customers came in to say goodbye and get hugs, give cards. It was a good time. Does Susie realize what a difference she makes in peoples lives? I get so mad when I hear anyone malign service workers, because I think of people like Susie and so many others who can literally make my day when I'm having a rough patch. Just the hospitality and smile, the friendliness, can lift me out of the pit.

jillybean720
11-28-2005, 02:08 PM
Does Susie realize what a difference she makes in peoples lives? I get so mad when I hear anyone malign service workers, because I think of people like Susie and so many others who can literally make my day when I'm having a rough patch. Just the hospitality and smile, the friendliness, can lift me out of the pit.
I'm sure Aimee will agre with me here--I agree, Kimberley, that I hate it when people say bad things about service workers. Store clerks, restaurant staff, movie theater employees, anyone who has to deal with people on a regular basis deserves respect. Nothing irks me more than hearing someone who has never had to work such a job complain about poor service. I think anyone who feels they are not getting proper service should have to work a service job themselves so they can see what it's like! I'm not saying all service workers are perfect--there are certainly those who slack or are rude and whatnot, but for the most part, I think people do their jobs, and being rude to them is not making their job any easier.

I actually watched a talk show once (Oprah, I think, a couple of years ago) where some snooty ladies were complaining about service in restaurants. They made the ladies work as waitresses for one night, and they couldn't handle it! They couldn't keep the orders straight, couldn't keep up with the kitchen, couldn't remember drinks, couldn't handle impatient customers...they sure had a newfound respect for servers after that experience!

SwimGirl
11-28-2005, 02:21 PM
Goodmorning! We had SNOW yesterday! But only for a couple hours, it's too warm here for it to stay. However, we are supposed to get snow that STAYS tonight... it feels too soon for that. I'm in denial about winter.

It's going to be a scary weigh in yah'll this week, eh? Right now I'm thankful (no pun intended) that I missed thanksgiving. However, pumpkin pie grosses me out so I don't touch it. I remember one year I went home to my grandma for christmas, I was there for 16 days, and I gained 10 pounds! My grandma loves to bake, and she makes the BEST homemade perogies. So it came on pretty easily.. heh. But tell me one thing, thanksgiving here is a one day event, so how come its been a 4 days thing in the USA? I'm not sure if it's as simple as a USA/Canada thing.. I know in my family and Josh's family, in the recent years our big dinners are having hints of WW recipes in the place of normally high fat foods, and include more and more veggies.

As for the whole service workers thing, I know a LOT of people get treated like crap, but no one (with the exception of literally one person) has been like that to me. I think people can read if you are going to take it to some extent. Like, I work with this girl Lindsay, and she constantly gets rude customers... and I've never had one, yet we both work in the same store. It's just interesting to watch.

K, this is all i've got this minute... I gotta make me some breakfast! I'll be back later!

-Aimee

jillybean720
11-28-2005, 02:36 PM
But tell me one thing, thanksgiving here is a one day event, so how come its been a 4 days thing in the USA?
Haha, it really is just one day, but it's on a Thursday, so a lot of people get both Thursday and Friday off from work, making it a 4-day weekend. With Black Friday being the busiest shopping day of the year, people are usually pretty tired and basically lazy all weekend long, so it becomes another 3 days of eating (out or leftovers) in addition to just the actual T-day.

It snowed here the night before Thanksgiving, but then it warmed up and rained, so it was all gone by Thanksgiving morning :( I want some snow, darnit!

Jen415
11-28-2005, 02:46 PM
We Americans have a knack for making a holiDAY a holiWEEK or holiMONTH! LOL

Hey girls, I need some advice! I can't seem to figure out how many calories I should be consuming! Here are the facts:

40 year old woman, 5 ft 6 in tall, 320 lbs, with sedentary lifestyle. My BMR is 2170. If I subtract 500 cals from that it is 1670 cals. My question is--if I do 30 min of cardio 3-5 days a week, do I increase my daily calories to compensate? If so, how much?

This is so confusing!! Any help is appreciated. I'm gonna post this to a couple of other boards to see what they say.

SwimGirl
11-28-2005, 02:56 PM
So along one that Holiday thing, I was reading in 100LB club the weekly weigh in.. people all refered to it as Thanksgiving week. Thats too funny for me!

Jen - I'm not entirely sure that whole math stuff, I would maybe compensate by adding the calories you are burning? Actually for me, I'd just eat the lesser calories and expect a bigger loss..

-Aimee

Gardenwife
11-28-2005, 04:02 PM
Jen, I'd stick to the 1600-1700 calorie range for a few weeks while doing the cardio, and see how the losses go. If you don't lose 1-2 pounds average per week, then maybe add a few calories per day and see how that goes. It's not hard science, just trial and error a lot of the time.

Jen415
11-28-2005, 05:15 PM
Thanks gals! I appreciate your help!

Jen415
11-29-2005, 08:00 AM
Morning ladies! Well, I didn't do so hot yesterday...I was okay until last night when I decided I needed to eat a WHOLE Totino's frozen pizza--almost 800 cals! UGH! Feeling pretty bloated today with water retention. I'm going to work on being conscious of everything I eat today and drinking LOTS of water. I've almost finished my first 30 oz.

See you all soon!

jillybean720
11-29-2005, 09:18 AM
Dang it, I just had a whole response written out, then I clicked on a link in my Outlook thinking it would open a new window, and BAM it opened the link in THIS window and deleted my reponse! :mad:

Anyway...

Jen, glad you're back on track today. I've done the whole pizza thing before--except I'm lazy, so I order for delivery, which means it's even bigger and greasier than a frozen pizza :p

Well I'm only around 950 calories for yesterday and again for today, plus lots and lots of water, and then tomorrow I'll start increasing my calories again. I just wanted this post-holiday water retention weight off ASAP! As of this morning, 2 pounds if it were already gone, so 2 more to go (3 in order to post an actual loss at TOPS on Thursday night). I'm sure I've already lost the bulk of what I could, but I can fantasize about more weight just magically melting off, can't I? ;)

SwimGirl
11-29-2005, 10:45 AM
Goodmorning! I have about 4-5 inches of snow outside, and it's STILL snowing. Yikes! It doesn't snow in this city very often so no one will be prepared which means accidents. This is the reason snow isn't good where I live! Josh had to drive to his parents house this morning to pick up his neice and take her to school because both his parents had tobe somewhere bright and early today... I hope he's okay. They've interrupted the morning news with some Election stuff.. our Government was dissolved I believe. So we are going to have an election in January. It shall be interesting.

Jen - Yesterday I was feeling SO lazy and just wanting to eat everything and anything bad.. luckily I got on the scale and it reminded me that I'm losing weight. I used to keep a scale in my kitchen, and everytime I was tempted to eat something bad... I'd weigh myself instead. That could be bad, but somehow it worked. You'll get back on track, sometimes we gotta give ourselves a few days to get used to the idea of dieting again..

Jill - I hate it when that happens! I think only once I was lucky enough to hit the back button and my post was still there... dunno how that happened. The weight will come off.. you might need more than 4 days tho ;)

Alrighty, I better go get ready for work... I dunno how it's going to be.. the snow will either encourage people to start christmas shopping or keep them at home because no one buys winter tires here!

-Aimee

dragonwoman64
11-29-2005, 10:45 AM
Re: service workers, it would be nice to see people in general treating each other better. Of course you have to keep in mind that I live in New York when I say that. Still, I think a little civility can go a long way: please, thank you, excuse me, way underused phrases. :soap:

Jen, I agree with Kimberley, you'll probably need to tinker to find out what works best for you.

Aimee, I did throw out a couple of things from the usual T-day fare, the yam casserole with the brown sugar and pecans GONE, the rolls GONE. Well, I should just be quiet about it now, shouldn't I. Let it slip into done deed land.

I'm not ready for snow. I'll take the rain for a while longer.

Well, I'd better get my Tuesday moving.

dragonwoman64
11-29-2005, 10:54 AM
Aimee, I posted just about the same time as you. Is it weird your government dissolved? We just have lots of major scandals then appoint committees to look into them (at the tax payers' expense). The snow's a pain, but at least it's pretty.

I've done that before too, clicking on a link then losing an entire post. Grrrr.

SwimGirl
11-30-2005, 01:32 AM
OMG, biggest loser finale? SO good, they all did SO great!! However, Suzy really seemed like she was on Meth of something.. She just seemed odd. Did you see Gary? I love him... he's my all time fav, him and Dr Jeff tie!

After work I went grocery shopping with Josh, and we were SO hungry that we picked something up. So after 5 days of eating so good, I messed up. I'll pick myself up tomorrow, but wow I feel like a failure. After long conversations with my brother and my american twin, uh huh, you Marge, I realize I reallllllly need to find SOME way to do enjoyable cardio in my house. Exercise video's worked for a while, but I think I might invest in a stationary bike, or something along those lines. I can't really afford a gym membership, 44 bucks a month for 2 years just doesn't.... I don't want to commit to that long! What if I don't LIKE the place? Yah know?

Hmm, okay, This girl has to sleep.. I'll talk to you all tomorrow!

-Aimee

jillybean720
11-30-2005, 06:54 AM
Aimee--I hear ya on the gym membership. I pay about 30 bucks a month, but I almost never go to my gym anymore. I just don't like it, and my membership runs until February, I believe. I had signed a 2-year agreement back when I lived in Virginia Beach, and I LOVED that gym, so I went all the time, and it was worth it, but I just don't like this one as much, and now I'm stuck paying for it anyway. Ahh, live and learn...If I had all the money in the world, I would definitely buy an elliptical for home. That's basically all I use when I do go to the gym anyway. I have bad knees, so I my physical therapist told me to steer clear of stair climbers and even running on a tread mill, but the elliptical is a much gentler workout. Same with the bike--that is a good idea, too. I hope you find something that works out for you (and works you out, hehe!).

As for me, I peeked at the scale this morning, and it said 273.5 :carrot: The TOPS scale is always lower than my home scale, so at my last TOPS meeting, my home scale said 274 when the TOPS scale said 270. Obviously, I choose to use the TOPS scale as my official weight and for my tracker ;) But that means that I am back down to normal (actually, .5-pound less!) after the disasterous holiday weekend. When I weighed Monday morning, it actually said 278 :o So I am quite relieved and not so afraid to go to my TOPS meeting tomorrow night :D

Jen415
11-30-2005, 08:27 AM
Morning ladies!

I agree Aimee--the finale was GREAT! I wrote more about it on The Biggest Loser thread.

Jill, great job! I would go by the TOPS scale too! LOL

Aimee, I've been thinking the same thing for me. Right now I am barely getting exercise at all. I know in order for me to be successful I have to MOVE my body. I'm considering investing in something for home. It has to be something that I can move out of the way when not in use--our apartment is not that big!

dragonwoman64
11-30-2005, 10:45 AM
I taped the finale, but I saw bits and pieces of it (switching during commercials). We always watch the Amazing Race. Andrea looked GREAT. So did Seth. I had a little trouble warming up to Matt, he was a always a little bit like Man on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. I missed the first half of that series.

Aimee, don't get too upset about one day of trouble with the diet. You haven't been on it very long, and it takes a little getting used to, it's a big change. Don't beat yourself up, instead think about what decision you would have made instead, and have that plan ready for the next time you're in the same situation. You could even think about why you made that decision. Every misstep is an opportunity to learn how to do better the next time (says Mrs. Diet Dogoody).

This is actually the time of year people are getting rid of stuff. If you look at classifieds or local bulliten boards, you might be able to find a used treadmill or bike for cheap. You could even put up a notice yourself saying your looking for one. I got my first exercise bike from the hallway of my apartment building in Manhattan, someone put it out to get rid of it. I used it for a few years.

I love to walk. The weather now isn't the best for that, unfortunately. A little power walking can go a long way. And I march in place at home, as well as the stuff at the gym. A half hour walk, a half hour marching in place a day can give you a nice cardio routine to start off with. People sometimes feel like if it's not an hour on the elliptical you're just not doing what you need to do, but I don't believe that's true.

Hope that helps! sending you good vibes from the Big Apple!

Jen415
11-30-2005, 12:43 PM
Hi gals! Just got back from taking a 30 minute walk. That's the most movement I've done in ages! It does feel good, though! I'm planning to do some resistence training tonight at home. Better than just sitting!

SwimGirl
11-30-2005, 01:48 PM
It's a COLD one here!! I have piled on a ton of clothes, a blanket and have a little heater near by. I sure could go for a hot chocolate! Good thing I don't have any in my house..

Marge - thank you. Often I get so caught up in feeling like a failure that I actually BECOME one, I had a rough morning for food, but luckily I am locked in my house all day with ONLY healthy foods... so it can only get better! I think if I were to make this decision again, I'd probably do the same thing! Possibly anyways, it was a long day and I wasn't really prepared enough. Josh and I have more cash lately, so thats been a help, but I have a hard time finding snacks.. I gotta get this worked out. I think I'll see what I can find in the bike area, Josh's work sells an elliptical trainer, but it's not the best. I think bike's are probably the best item you can get, price-wise/quality.

Jill - congrats on that weight loss! I wonder how many people will show up for the weigh in.. I'd be scared if there was a holiday such as Thanksgiving like that! Phew, it still baffles me the difference to the Canada- USA thanksgiving difference!

Jen - a 30 min walk is great! I'm lucky that I have an extra room, my place is SUPER small.. but we've been sleeping in the livingroom because there is a weird feeling in the bedroom. I haven't ever been able to sleep in there, sometimes I'll have bad dreams in there. We plan to move as soon as we can, but in the meantime I can use it as a workout room! heh..

Alrighty, I am off to curl up on the couch! Bye!

-Aimee

Gardenwife
11-30-2005, 03:15 PM
I could not BELIEVE how good those guys looked, especially. MAN!

Good for you on the scale front, Jill. I snuck on the scale today, too...I'd already had 3 cups of coffee and my morning cereal, and weighed 202. I'm hopeful! Gotta slug down the water today and tomorrow (but not too late in the day tomorrow, LOL!).

My scrapbooking friend from the coffee shop went with me to Hobby Lobby yesterday afternoon and we headed over to her house to work on the scrapbook for Susie. I don't have the pictures printed yet, but we put together papers to use together in layouts and have a lot ready to go. Just need to get those prints ordered now. Would ya believe I was at Ivana's house until 1:00am working on that? Last we'd looked at a clock, it was about 8:30pm...Then Howie called at ten after midnight. Good times. :)

dragonwoman64
12-01-2005, 10:41 AM
:carrot: way to go, Jen :carrot: Actually walking is one of my favorite exercises. And I like doing weights. Keep in mind that muscle tissue is denser than fat, and as you build muscle, it might affect the number on the scale (even though you're losing fat). Muscle helps burn fat too.

Aimee, so much of weight loss is mental. If you look back and think you'd make the same decision, then I think it's fine. Besides, Rob tells me once I've eaten something to forget about the guilt and move on, it's not helpful to dwell on it. So, do you think the bedroom is haunted? I'm convinced we have spirits here, and I'm not a person who's totally into the supernatural. We've just had too many weird happenings here.

I can see spending that much time on the scrapbook. When I was doing it, it would take me hours at a time. It's fun work, I'm sure even more fun doing it with a friend. Have you planned a reward for yourself for entering Onederland? You definitely deserve something great for that kind of accomplishment (it's a reward in itself, but splurge and treat yourself!).

I snuck a peek too, at the ol' scale, I think it must be an Xmas miracle, cause I'm seeing a loss and I still have a day to go! Wow, that's a huge relief!

It's funny with the Biggest Loser, we get to see in a few weeks people losing over 100 lbs. The difference in how they look floors me. It's a total transformation. Very cool.

Tomorrow I'm definitely going shopping. I love going to the craft fairs here.

SwimGirl
12-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Goodmorning! I peaked at my scale this morning too... hehe, and it looks like I'll register a loss, even with my mostly off plan day yesterday. Oops! I have changed my weigh in day to Friday's, now I pretty much avoided the scale last week, because I had gained back ALL of those 2 pounds.. I just wasn't quite ready to admit that yet. I guess just waking up and not having your brain working properly yet helps! ;)

Marge - It's definitely partly mental, yesterday I convinced myself that since I had an off plan breakfast I could eat an off plan dinner (but my lunch was good!). You make sure to drink lots of water during the day, I'd stop at night unless you wanna be up all night.. heh.. oh, and eat perfectly today! I'm not too sure if it's haunted, all I know is that I get really restless in there. I toss and turn all night long and wake up feeling MORE tired.

Kimberley - you ARE very close to onederland, are you excited? Got a speech for us? ;)

-Aimee

Jen415
12-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Hi gals! Had a great afternoon walk! I went in a different direction than usual and found a nice paved walking trail through the woods! I think I may take this route most of the time!

Gardenwife
12-01-2005, 02:43 PM
I saw a documentary about researchers and ghosts. They said sometimes there are natural electro-magnetic currents in places and some people are very sensitive to them. Those same currents can also cause electronic devices to act wonky. Sometimes, it's natural phenomena giving us the willies. :)

Speech? No speech yet...I'm just itchin' to get there, that's all. Can't believe it's taken me 13+ years to get back down to this weight.

jillybean720
12-02-2005, 08:12 AM
Posted a 1.5-pound loss at TOPS last night (for 2 weeks since we didn't meet last week)--woohoo for losing over the holiday! :carrot: Per the TOPS scale, I'm now at 268.75, so hopefully those 270s are gone forever. I just realized that I'm only 19 pounds away from the 250 mark--I can't even remember the last time I weighed under 250. I think it was early college sometime. I'm also only 8.75 pounds away from a total of 50 pounds lost. Realizing these things has really inspired me to keep going! I've got 10 more pounds to lose by Christmas for our challenge, but I only have 2 more TOPS weigh-ins before then, so I'll have to go by my home scale that last week to see if I make it. Before I left for TOPS, my home scale said 273.5 (it only weighs to the half pound, not the quarter), so it's been pretty consistently 4 pounds higher than the TOPS scale, so it should still give me a pretty good idea of my progress.

Speaking of ghosts and natural electro-magnetic currents...when I was in college in PA, there was a place nearby that was supposedly haunted. The story goes that a bus was driving a high school football team home after a game one night, and their bus rolled down a hill and went over a cliff, killing the whole team. Now, if you go to that hill and put your car in neutral, your car will actually roll UP the hill instead of down! This is supposed to be the spirits of the football players pushing your car back up the hill so you don't meet the same fate as them. This location was actually covered on a tv special once, and it was determined that it was a very high area of electro-magnetic activity or something, and that was te real reason the cars rolled up the hill. No matter what the reason, I think a car rolling up a hill would be creepy! I had friends who actually went to this place and said it worked. We tried to find it one night and got lost :p

I have to eat lightly during the day today because tonight, we are going to a place called Mike's American for dinner--supposed to be REALLY good! And I'm doing an evaluation for my secret shopping company, so I will get fully reimbursed for our $70-meal (we are required to share an appetizer, order 2 different entrees and drinks, and share a dessert, plus order a drink at the bar). Gotta love free food! :D

Jen415
12-02-2005, 10:33 AM
Hey gals! I started a December thread yesterday--should we start posting there?

Gardenwife
12-02-2005, 05:08 PM
Whoops! Yes, go here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69466