Veggie Challenged - What veggie do you STILL hate?

Pages : [1] 2 3

View Full Version : What veggie do you STILL hate?

Suzanne 3FC
11-01-2005, 12:22 AM
What vegetable do you absolutely hate?

Is this something you've hated since you were a child, and have not given it another chance?

Have you tried cooking it multiple ways, in case it tasted better in another version?

Suzanne 3FC
11-01-2005, 12:28 AM
I'll go first :)

Cauliflower.

It looks like a mutated form of broccoli that we have no business eating :p It looks bad, smells bad, and tastes bad. No, I don't like it mashed with cream and butter. If I want a potato, I'll eat a potato.

I have tried it in various foods, though usually unintentionally. I have never actually cooked it myself.

I was going to start an official Cauliflower Haters Club, but someone else beat me to it. I take solace in knowing I am not alone.

Who's next? :)

timmyshawn
11-01-2005, 07:55 AM
Okra!! I can't stand the stuff! My mom says that as a baby I would eat fried okra, mashed up. She says that I went on a kick when I was about 1 yo when that's all I ate for months. I got some in some soup at a restaurant about 12 years ago. It was boiled and slimy and extreamly nasty to taste and chew. I have tried it fried since then (because of what dear mom said) but I have to say that it was still gross.

Oh and Suzanne I'll agree with you on the califlower too. I tried the mashed califlower thing too. Tastes just like potatoes my foot! As a matter of fact I think I'd rather eat my foot! :lol:

FL_Chickie
11-01-2005, 08:26 AM
Peas and asparagus top the list of ickiness for me. Can't stand either one.

Yogini
11-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Let's see...the veggie I hate is the one that's been ruined by being smothered in cheese, butter or cream sauces, making it inedible for me! :p

Seriously, I love all veggies :)

sarahyu
11-01-2005, 11:22 AM
Broccoli and cauliflower- Both are very bitter to me. I don't know if I'm getting old ones or what. I also don't like brussel sprouts. I can force it down just to be healthy but it's not nice.

Okra, I've learned to like. I stir fry them. If you don't move them around alot in the pan, they don't get slimy.

Cabbage-I've learned to eat, it's not an enjoyable expereince but I can force it down.

Sarah

Tani
11-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Okay, I know tomatos aren't really veggies, but I classify them as such in my head ;)

I've hated them since childhood. I've tried them in every conceivable way.. and I still don't like them. I will eat them now, however ... provided they are mixed in with something I like, chopped into very small pieces and so heavily seasoned that I can't really taste the tomato taste :P

LovesBassets
11-01-2005, 01:09 PM
Ah...all of them?

I DO like carrots, cucumbers, and celery, tho.

WaterRat
11-01-2005, 01:11 PM
Cucumbers - shudder! Cannot stomach them. Green peppers give me horrid heartburn, cooked or raw, though I don't dislike them. I love peas and asparagus, btw! :) Otherwise I eat most veggies. Living my whole life in the northern half of the country, I've not had much okra, and not much eggplant either for some reason.

Though it's not a veggie, may I say I absolutely don't like watermelon either, or for that matter, most melons, though I do like cantalope.

Have a great day!

boiaby
11-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Okra :barf: and green beans, YUCK!! Sorry, no can do! I also don't like the taste and especially the texture of green peas. As a kid, I used to swallow them whole just to get them down because my mom made me eat them, blah!

Beverly

crd43123
11-01-2005, 05:51 PM
brussel sprouts yuck yuck yuck!!!

Elanajel
11-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Don't really like green peppers--cooked or raw. Red, orange or yellow are just fine.

mauvaisroux
11-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Brussel sprouts - :p they just taste so bitter! oh, and Squash of any kind - I don't like the texture the only way I can eat it is if it is in a pureed soup :lol:

phantastica
11-02-2005, 05:32 PM
Rutabaga! And it's so difficult to prepare.

I can't really stand beets, either.

Ilene
11-02-2005, 05:57 PM
I love cauliflower raw but not cooked and certainly NOT mashed, ick!

Marianna
11-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Blech... brussel sprouts... blah... I can not stand them - despite my nana's best efforts when i was a wee one :D Oddly enough I had the same feeling about pumpkin as a kid, but love it now

AprilN
11-02-2005, 07:00 PM
I've learned to eat and enjoy most veggies over the past two years, but I HATED lima beans with a passion as a child, and was forced to eat them - and I'm still hesitant to try them again. The smell, the texture... I can't even eat frozen "mixed vegetables" because they've been infected with lima beans. :p

mauvaisroux
11-03-2005, 01:57 PM
I forgot about Lima Beans! :yikes: My mum made those a lot and I couldn't stand them - she never forced me to eat them though :) Still don't like em but tolerate them in mixed vegetables.

healthyme05
11-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Squash, Beets, Asparagus, Those Fat Green Beans...Nasty.

The only green beans I like are the French cut ones...

And the worst offender of them all LIMA BEANS!!!

rebelridergirl
11-03-2005, 10:43 PM
I hate a lot of veggies, but I really hate beets! I do love green beans, but I hate them cooked in bacon fat. Yucky!

Suzanne 3FC
11-04-2005, 06:43 PM
I was once served mashed potatoes with parsnips on an airplane. I could smell something disgusting, but had no idea that it was on my own plate, lol. I decided to taste the mixture, since the two cowboys on either side of me were wolfing it down. One touch to my tongue was all it took. :fr: I'd never tasted a parsnip before, so I'm assuming that was the culprit.

andreaphilip3
11-05-2005, 11:42 AM
carrots, cauliflower, string beans and anything weird....

Amarantha2
11-05-2005, 08:56 PM
I've learned to eat and enjoy most veggies over the past two years, but I HATED lima beans with a passion as a child, and was forced to eat them - and I'm still hesitant to try them again. The smell, the texture... I can't even eat frozen "mixed vegetables" because they've been infected with lima beans. :p

Me, too. :smug:

Suzanne 3FC
11-05-2005, 11:19 PM
I've never had lima beans by themselves, but I used to love the vegetable soup we had as schoolchildren (late 60s/early 70s) and it always had a couple of lima beans in it. They were really good in the soup.

I'd love to meet a lunch lady from back in the day when they cooked our lunches from scratch, and get the recipe for that soup.

flipafart
11-06-2005, 12:49 AM
I always thought limas were yummy. yes I could eat them by themselves as a meal. it took me awhile to learn to like black beans though

laura_on_a_bike
11-07-2005, 07:03 AM
i don't think that there is a single vegetable that i don't like. i don't care for cucumbers most of the time, but every now and then i crave them. i guess i like them all.

Mazarin
11-07-2005, 08:25 AM
Asparagus & Turnips!

kaplods
11-09-2005, 01:24 AM
Brussel sprouts, Ewwwwwwwwww. Lima beans are iffy. Mostly depends how they're cooked. I loved the ones my grandma made with onion and tomato sauce, but hate the canned green lima beans that I agree "infect" mixed veggies. The "white" lima beans are ok, and I even use them in chili sometimes. I've even had good green lima beans, but they were heavily buttered and I think were fresh or frozen, not canned.

Colleen

Eggers
11-14-2005, 10:37 PM
Onions, peppers, black olives, green peas, beets.

homemade
11-14-2005, 10:46 PM
can't say I like sweet potatoes much, tried them this week for the first time, but I am going to try them again, my goal is to try every healthy veggie out there, is there bad ones?????

Mina
12-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Remember the Nickelodeon cartoon with Doug where the whole town was crazy over beets? Anyone? Well, I think I could never live in that town.

And, with onions, I'm not TOO serious, because I'll eat them if they're left in what I'm eating. But I always ask to hold the onions...

PhysDom
12-14-2005, 03:46 PM
I -really- -really- -really- dislike lima beans. Taste, texture... ugh.
I also don't like sweet potato usually, but have learned to like it in the form of sweet potato chips or french fries -- I usually don't like how it's sweetened - ick!

For the record, though, I LOVE all other kinds of beans.
I love beets.
I love cauliflower.
I love brussel sprouts.
Love cabbage.
Tomatoes are my favorite of all time!

jillybean720
12-15-2005, 02:32 PM
Hmm, I don't think I've ever had lima beans!

But I know I do NOT like carrots, celery, peppers (of any color), tomatoes, green beans, peas, squash (winter, summer, or anything in between ;) )...the list goes on and on :dizzy: OH, do mushrooms count as a vegetable? I can't stand those, either!

LLV
12-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Okra, parsnips, turnips and greens.

Other than that, I love most all vegetables, including all types of squash, both winter and summer. Yes, I love lima beans and brussel sprouts, lol.

There's one vegetable here that is a special story and that's asparagus. I used to ADORE asparagus. Then last year around April I got really sick with the flu. I mean miserably, horribly sick. And just before I started feeling sick, what did I eat? Asparagus.

I haven't been able to even look at it since.

emerald dragonfly
12-15-2005, 10:54 PM
Asparagus, brussell sprouts and cooked spinach; raw spinach I can handle.

DishyFishy
12-16-2005, 05:30 PM
I love all veggies! :T

The caveat is that I can't bear any them cooked geriatric style. Mushy vegetables are disgusting (and nutritionally compromised too), overcooked brussels, cabbage, and cauli end up tasting sulphurous, and then there's snotty okra. :barf:

kookiemonster
12-19-2005, 10:24 PM
Nobody mentioned artichokes! blech I can't eat em, I start gagging if I do. ewwww. I don't care for raw celery either.

But I looove okra! Frying them before putting in a sauce usually makes them so disgusting and slimy eww. But if you keep most of the top part on and don't fry them, they're really really quite different and good. Like alter-egos. mmm :)

penpal
12-21-2005, 10:35 PM
I cannot eat green peppers - terrible indigestion - though red and yellow are ok occasionally.

I hate okra and radishes. I used to like broccoli, but in recent years I can't stand it!

I like just about all other vegetables. Favorites are: asparagus, fennel, brussels sprouts, yams, cabbage, carrots, peas, green beans, rutabagas, celeriac root, cucumbers, onions, artichokes and baby lettuce.

LLV
12-21-2005, 11:01 PM
I cannot eat green peppers - terrible indigestion - though red and yellow are ok occasionally.

I hate okra and radishes.
I don't like radishes either.

Yuck.

penpal
12-22-2005, 11:41 AM
Radishes are watery, hot and tasteless - and they make me burp! :lol:

futuresurferchick
12-22-2005, 02:23 PM
Over the past few months I have forced myself to get used to eating cooked veggies, and most of them I do like now, but I'm still not fond of cooked carrots! Ew. I love them raw though. :carrot:

DishyFishy
12-22-2005, 02:25 PM
I love radishes! My faves are White Icicles, but I've never seen them here in Canada.

penpal
12-22-2005, 07:42 PM
I love your fish! <*)))>((

I'm glad you like radishes, I'm sure they are good for you. I've heard they taste milder if you bake them. I love rutabagas but most people hate them. (Hey, that sounds like a poem :lol: )

becgris
12-22-2005, 09:04 PM
Avocados...although I think it may be a fruit. Incidentally, I really like (or will tolerate) most vegetables but I can't take the soft mushy texture of avocados or the gritty, dirty feeling of pears. Blech!

DishyFishy
12-23-2005, 01:57 AM
I love your fish! <*)))>(( :thanks:

When I moved here from the UK I got my knickers in a right knot over the names of things. I went looking for these exotic-sounding rutabagas, only to find they were what I call neeps or Swede turnips! :rofl: I was fair disappointed, but I love 'em anyway. :T

penpal
12-23-2005, 12:01 PM
I had a long rant about swedes (rutabagas here) a while ago http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68778

I've been here in the States for about 28 years but I still love swedes! We're going to have some with our roast beef & Yorkshire puddings for Christmas dinner.

:snowglo:

DishyFishy
12-24-2005, 04:10 PM
Great thread on rutabagas, Penny! I love that you inspired people to try them. :)

Lyndsey86
12-25-2005, 03:59 AM
Tomatoes, can'd stand them unless cooked, made into soup, or hidden in tacos.

Smilla
12-29-2005, 12:54 AM
I really dislike zucchini, pumpkin, squashes, okra (but I've never had it cooked nicely before), eggplant, rutabaga, yams, sweet potatoes, parsnip, green cabbage, and cauliflour. I also kind of dislike potatoes. This made it really fun eating at my grandmother's house, since she always cooked with vegetables that smelled like farts, and cooked them until they were dead 400 times over.

I love broccoli but not raw, and I am forcing myself to enjoy olives.

happy2bme
01-01-2006, 02:07 PM
I'll try anything once.

The list of once is more than enough includes: beets, parsnips and lima beans.

I like most vegetables and am forcing myself to include others I was previously avoiding like radishes and green peppers.

I recently moved to the south and was horrified at what they do to veggies here. Pick it, roll it in flour and deep fry it - fried okra maybe but BATTERED AND DEEP FRIED corn on the cob? :rolleyes: I don't care if the people who tried it said it was delicious - I can't bring myself to even try that one.

YP1
01-01-2006, 04:21 PM
Brocolli. I do try to eat it, but it's just not happening. Mushrooms too.

DeafinlySmart
01-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Beets, eggplant, califlower,

irisheyes213
01-01-2006, 11:27 PM
brussell sprouts and asparagus but alas, I will try them both one more time roasted just to make sure that they are as intolerable as I believe them to be! :)

DeafinlySmart
01-02-2006, 01:18 AM
I LOVE asparagus, but only if they are green giant from the can.

honey-dipped
01-02-2006, 08:06 AM
celery, raw onions, and asparagus

Leenie
01-02-2006, 08:47 AM
brusslesprouts, I just can't do it !!! oh and spinach (unless its in a dip lol).

impossible princess
01-02-2006, 06:35 PM
Can't stand Courgettes but am trying to put them in pasta things in small slices. Really hate sweetcorn but it makes me sick so I have an excuse for not eating that.

jules1216
01-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Artichokes.. and Brussell Sprouts--unless my husbands step-mother makes them--she uses olive oil,fresh brussell sprouts, water chestnuts & white pepper--tried to duplicate the recipe but it just didn't taste the same...

despadas
01-10-2006, 06:10 PM
What are Courgettes? and how do you cook them?

jas80
01-10-2006, 06:42 PM
i think the easier answer for me to give would be to the question, what vegetables do you like?

broccolli, potatoes and sweet corn.

that's it. i have a hard time stomaching anything else unfortunately

GreatBigMonsterMomma
01-11-2006, 04:48 AM
The only vegetable I have a horrible, visceral reaction to is grean peas. I cannot even take the smell of them. I tried feeding mashed peas to my oldest daughter once upon a time and had to stop for gagging at the scent. I still cannot bear to watch her eat them, and once my husband almost hurt himself laughing when I complained about their very pea-ness (say it out loud :o). My mother used to try to make me eat them when I was a child, but I. would. not.

I do not like beets, either, or brussels sprouts, or lima beans. I suspect fresh asparagus might be good, but my palate has been scarred by canned asparagus at once both mushy and woody, and so I cannot bring myself to try them again. I don't care for green peppers, either--if I want to taste grass, I'll eat grass. I didn't touch red or yellow or orange bell peppers for years on account of how nasty the green ones are. Come to find out I like them!

I do enjoy many of the reviled veggies, though. I simply cannot get enough cauliflower. I was eating about a head of it a week while I was pregnant this last time. I like cabbage too-what can I say, I'm ethnically German--and radishes, and broccoli and zucchini. I love cauliflower and zucchini more than anything; I could eat them all day long.

I didn't like any okra but fried for years, but last week I was hungry & by Popeye's & ordered etouffee (which I am certain I just misspelled)...Okra is used as a thickener in that stew, and though I had to pick out the big snotty-looking pieces, it actually turned out to be pretty good.

My husband has issues with tomatoes. Especially cherry tomatoes; as a child he tried cutting into one and got squirted with juice. :rofl: And yet, he loves ketchup, having gone so far as to put ketchup on one of our Christmas tamales. :rollpin: Not that ketchup bears much relation to actual tomatoes!

irisheyes213
01-11-2006, 03:47 PM
What are Courgettes? and how do you cook them?

You may know them as Zucchini.

ameliaamy
01-12-2006, 11:23 AM
Ah, my long and violent war against tomatoes. The emnity has cooled, and we've reached an understanding: I will order food without if at all possible. If I forget, and can pick it out of a dish, I will. If I can't, I'll eat as much as I can stomach. I've learned to tolerate chili, and lasagna, and spaghetti sauce, and found indian food that includes tomatoes to be downright tasty.

Sundried tomatoes seem to be hit-or-miss, sometimes drying them sweetens them just enough to be tasty, other times they're still icky-yicky tomatoes. One time I had sundried tomato bruschetta at a restaurant... divine!

Ketchup will always be gross, except on millet cakes. It is the very best dip for millet cakes. So, now we are not "those weird people with no ketchup in the house."

-Amy

Heva2015
01-12-2006, 01:13 PM
I hate, hate, hate avocados...I had never had them until good old British Airways tried to feed me guacamole salad sandwiches enroute to London...it looked all innocent but no....eww eww ewwww!!!

Isla_Bonita115
01-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Fortunately for me, I like every single vegetable around EXCEPT for eggplant and white pearled onions. I even like brussel sprouts, as I found out a few minutes ago after trying them for the 2nd time in my life and finding that they taste a little bit like cabbage, which I like as well.

However, no matter how eggplant or pearled onions are prepared, I will not eat them ever again. My mother used to make eggplant parmesan (*shudders at the memory*) w/ cheese and tomato sauce when I was a young child and the rule was that we had to eat all of our vegetables before we were allowed to have dessert (and on nights when we didn't have dessert, the rule was that we couldn't get up from the table before we finished our veggies). My Mom used to make delicious cakes, cheesecakes, cookies, pies, etc. for dessert 4-5x/week. Some nights my siblings and I would be at the dinner table for 2 hours forcing ourselves to eat that nasty eggplant. Some of our techniques were: 1) Holding our nose while we chewed 2) Taking very tiny bites 3) Taking very big bites (this never worked very well) 4) Pushing the eggplant around on our plate to make it look like we ate it (this didn't work very well, either) & 5) Putting the eggplant in our napkins and throwing it away when nobody was looking.

Boy, those were tough times! :D

jas80
01-12-2006, 04:30 PM
4) Pushing the eggplant around on our plate to make it look like we ate it (this didn't work very well, either)

hahaha! i remember doing this with food i hated as a kid also! it worked suprisingly well on my step mother!

GreatBigMonsterMomma
01-12-2006, 05:26 PM
I once sat at the dinner table for about four hours until my mother gave up trying to force me to eat beets.

I don't care for eggplant either, now that I think of it. Bought it once, salted it & everything, and it was still nasty bitter.

Isla_Bonita115
01-12-2006, 06:13 PM
It's a despicable vegetable, isn't it? I can't believe you don't like beets! A 4-hour standoff over little old beets? You must have been very stubborn!

Jas, lucky you that your stepmother never caught on!

RainbowBrite
01-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Hi All,

For Some reason I really hate Peas! I just can't bring myself to eat them. I feel like they smell like feet. I will tolerate them however if they are mixed in with a salad or in some soups. But miracles do happen, I grew up hating the Beans and now I love them and can't get enough of them. I guess taste change as you get older.

Nori71
01-14-2006, 11:08 AM
I cannot eat eggplant, lima beans, okra or raddichio. ICK!

honey-dipped
01-14-2006, 01:28 PM
I once sat at the dinner table for about four hours until my mother gave up trying to force me to eat beets.

I don't care for eggplant either, now that I think of it. Bought it once, salted it & everything, and it was still nasty bitter.

ugh...I've never EVER tried beets. The smell alone...

irisheyes213
01-14-2006, 09:13 PM
Ketchup will always be gross, except on millet cakes. It is the very best dip for millet cakes. So, now we are not "those weird people with no ketchup in the house."

-Amy

LOL, We are those weird people! I had to promise my niece that before she came over next we would by a small bottle of ketchup or pick up enough packets so that she could have ketchup with whatever we would have. Poor child, feels the need to eat ketchup on everything but won't touch a tomato!

I love tomatoes but can't stand ketchup, blech!

BTW: What are millet cakes?

Siena1383
01-15-2006, 02:30 PM
I've gone from being a child who would only eat cucumbers, carrots and green beans, to being an adult who eats most vegetables. So I'm okay with the fact that there are still some I hate.

MUSHROOMS tops the list. They are the most vile-looking things, and I won't put them into me.

Pickles are next. I love cucumbers, hate the briny vinegar stuff that makes them into pickles. I'd rather starve.

Asparagus, beets, and peas are other veggies I'd rather skip, but I'll try them if they're forced on me.

And then there are veggies I dislike when they're cooked certain ways. I love tomatoes in all kinds of things, but you can forget about giving me stewed tomatoes. Zucchini is only tolerable if it's in something.

susie_sunshine
01-15-2006, 03:27 PM
Brusse sprouts ....ug... just can't choke them down. Pickled beets - bad bad bad bad.....

susie_sunshine
01-15-2006, 03:28 PM
Now that I think about it... there's eggplant! I would really like to like eggplant! It's a nice color, it's kind of trendy... but whenever i've tried to make anything with eggplant it's been a total disaster!

garnetfairy
01-15-2006, 06:36 PM
beets, parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, mustard greens, turnip greens That is all I can think of right now...but yuck, does anyone under 60 eat these things???

DeafinlySmart
01-15-2006, 07:30 PM
beets, parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, mustard greens, turnip greens That is all I can think of right now...but yuck, does anyone under 60 eat these things???

I don't. I'm 30. LOL.

homemade
01-16-2006, 12:31 AM
I agree, eggplant just doesn't do it for me. too mushy, I have only tried it a couple of times. Just because I should, it could be just the way I cooked it, who knows, maybe I will try again some day.

HappyWife
01-16-2006, 01:59 AM
I agree, eggplant just doesn't do it for me. too mushy, I have only tried it a couple of times. Just because I should, it could be just the way I cooked it, who knows, maybe I will try again some day.

I fix eggplant parmegian(sp!:dizzy: ) and it is wonderful! The kids beg for it.

Now, I hate almost anything green: broccolli, asparagus, brussel sprouts, greens. :barf:. Can't do 'em. On the other hand dh loves them all. :no:

Miaka
01-17-2006, 01:18 PM
The only vegetable I have consistantly hated is boiled/steam carrots.

Tynerra
01-17-2006, 02:09 PM
English (green) PEAS:barf: :barf:

honey-dipped
01-17-2006, 09:36 PM

I do :). I love turnips, mustard greens, and turnip greens. I don't know about the other stuff though...I haven't tried any of it.

Yogini
01-19-2006, 07:20 AM
Yup! :carrot: I also eat collard greens and kale very frequently too!

penpal
01-19-2006, 05:14 PM

Yes. I like beets, parsnips, rutabagas :love:, but not mustard or turnip greens. :carrot:

Lunula
01-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Brussel sprouts -- just smelling them make me feel sick! :faint:

Cauliflower & beets... almost as bad, but not quite!

rysmommy
01-19-2006, 05:43 PM
Oooh I love most veggies I cant stand brussel sprouts and i don't eat anything i've never heard of like never heard of okra or rutabaga? and eggplant eeww just sounds gross but for the normal stuff i love I have to have tomatoes in my house i eat a couple a day and I love cucumbers!! about asparagus, I love the things but im wondering how they are in the cans or frozen because i can never keep em long enough in the fridge are they as good? thanks! - Kim

telemetrynurse
01-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Okra, unless its in gumbo. You can pretty much disguise ANYTHING in gumbo .

Beets are the worst!!! bleck! I don't think even gumbo could help make beets tasty!

Libby1972
01-22-2006, 08:19 AM
Lima beans....ewwwww. And suckatash is particularly evil. Because of the lima beans. :)

LilyPrincess
01-25-2006, 01:09 AM
green beans. I litterally gag whenever i think about eating one, so sad haha. :P Im also not a fan of asparagus!

LadyFirelyght
01-25-2006, 02:32 PM
I LOVE vegetables in general, and even the ones I hate, I'll try again if they're prepared a different way than I'm used to.

Hated veggies: beets, rutabegas, turnips, sweet potatoes, brussell sprouts (GAG!), chick peas, black-eyed peas (that music group is cool, though ;) )

I've learned to like cooked carrots... especially if they're cooked in honey and lemon juice! Really good! I've also developed a liking for asparagus, which is surprising. I used to turn my nose up at them, but now I eat them pretty regularly.

Genesis
02-01-2006, 11:14 PM
The only veg I don't like is the evil mushroom. I think I pretty much like all other veggies...including brussel sprouts, beets, eggplant, etc.

magoo
02-01-2006, 11:23 PM
Brussel sprouts -- just smelling them make me feel sick! :faint:

Cauliflower & beets... almost as bad, but not quite!

LANULA is my long lost sister, separated at birth. :hug: Those are my three, and in that order.

JessieW
02-08-2006, 08:59 AM
EGGPLANT. I have tried so many times. And raw tomato--I can eat it cooked, but hate it raw!

Jessie

LindaT
02-08-2006, 10:29 AM
EGGPLANT. I have tried so many times. And raw tomato--I can eat it cooked, but hate it raw!

Jessie

:chasing after jess with an eggplant..: You HAD to know I'd see this. :lol:

Alliecat
02-09-2006, 11:38 AM
I have to agree with the other Okra haters on here... it gets gluey and snotty... argh, the most hoffible veggie ever grown! What was the guy upstairs thinking when he put this one together? argh.
Laure

LovelyLatina
02-09-2006, 11:56 AM
How about I tell you which ones I do like? The list is shorter:P
I like corn,carrots,lettuce,and tomatoes--if you consider it a vegetable. I don't like cauliflower,celery,artichoke,brussel sprouts,and DEFINITELY not mushrooms!:eek:

Wide in Winnipeg
02-10-2006, 09:22 PM
I will NOT touch zuccini or turnips:barf: Not a chance!

VelVeeta
02-14-2006, 10:06 AM
Brussel Sprouts definitely and i am not a big fan of beets either. All other veggies are fine with me.

Mylifeinthemovie
02-16-2006, 09:18 AM
I hate all veggies! I know, I know, I need to eat them to loose weight. I do enjoy carrots, corn, potatos, and lima beans

Suzanne 3FC
02-17-2006, 10:38 AM
I'm shocked by all of the people that don't like beets! :?: I LOVE them. Though to be honest, I've only had them pickled, or in Harvard Beets which are also sweet and tart. I've run across a lot of recipes lately for roasted beets, that are then used in hearty salads or even sliced onto sandwiches. I think it might be worth exploring.

Jessie, I don't like regular tomatoes raw, most taste bitter to me. I love the smaller varieties such as grape tomatoes or those fancy deep red cluster tomatoes.

bluedevil
02-17-2006, 11:22 AM
I won't eat mushrooms. I can tolerate just about any other veggie. I'm still not fond of brocolli or cauliflower, but I'll eat them if they're in something else. But mushrooms - blech!!! :)

I've been suprised recently by veggies that I never tried before that I now love. Spaghetti squash is my newest discovery. I had never had it (to my knowledge) before two nights ago. That's some tasty stuff!!!

katielab'smom
02-17-2006, 01:32 PM
I don't like cooked beets, but I like them pickled. I've tried to like them, but I can't stand asparagus or artichokes. I love spring and summer when I can go to our local farmer's market and get all those fresh veggies.:carrot:

Terina

shananigans
02-17-2006, 05:08 PM
I like almost any veggie, but there’s just a couple that I will never like: celery and turnips. I’m not crazy about beets and anything pickled is definitely off the list, but just about any other veg I’ve found can be prepared in some way that I will enjoy.

shananigans
02-17-2006, 05:12 PM
I’m sorry I didn’t mean turnips, those are the rutabaga type things. I meant radishes! They look so pretty but I just don’t like the texture or the taste.

ECmom
02-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Brussel sprouts (puke city) and mushrooms (do they have to be SO darned slimey!)

LLV
02-18-2006, 04:33 PM
Mushrooms aren't a vegetable, they're a fungus.

lol!

Sorry, had to stick that in there. I'll jump on with Suzanne about the beets, I love them too.

Another veggie I hate if I haven't mentioned it yet - radishes.

sf40
02-18-2006, 06:13 PM
Anything pickled .... eeewwww yuck. :barf: Also anything over-cooked ... too mushy and slimy, and all the good stuff is cooked out so what's the point of eating it?

There are things I haven't tried that look or sound weird -- okra comes to mind -- but I'll try anything once. I don't care for raw mushrooms (or canned, for that matter), raw celery, olives (but love olive oil), lima beans (can't stand the texture). Don't really care for canned veggies, seems to dull the flavor and mess up the texture.

veggielover
03-17-2006, 03:15 PM
brussel sprouts. a diasgrace to the vegetable family!

Jtjoray
03-25-2006, 05:51 PM
Peas, and Celery. I dont like either. Never have!!!

HungryMonkey
03-25-2006, 07:09 PM
How can someone like carrots but not parsnips? They're like the albino cousin (and sooo good roasted)!

The only veggie I won't eat is beets, but I could be persuaded to try them again.

Ottoette
03-26-2006, 09:12 AM
Beets, Okra, eggplant (sorry LindaT). I keep thinking I would like eggplant if I could cook it properly, but I've never been successful.
Never tried parsnips or rutabaga.
LOVE most other veggies, lucky that way.

Merrylegs
03-27-2006, 11:55 PM
I know it's technically a herb but I detest cilantro, any recipe containing it.

JasonsLea
03-28-2006, 12:29 AM
all of them.....except for sweet peas and sweet corn and tomatoes.......aren't tomatoes a fruit????

LLV
03-28-2006, 08:28 AM
all of them.....except for sweet peas and sweet corn and tomatoes.......aren't tomatoes a fruit????
Technically, yes, but I still think of them as vegetables.

It's odd, tomatoes are supposed to be a fruit, but in the produce section they're always placed by veggies.

They're vegetables, dammit!

lol

I love tomatoes, I grow my own every year. I can just pick them off the vine and eat them like apples.

Rosario
03-28-2006, 02:46 PM
The only veggie I won't eat is beets, but I could be persuaded to try them again.

I never thought I would like beets until I had them in a salad. Beets (cooked), tomatoes, and avocado. So goood!!!

I hate peas and celery (unless there's pb slathered on that celery stalk).

Only Me
04-02-2006, 10:53 PM
I haven't eaten lima beans since my mother stopped forcing me. My dh hated lima beans as a child too, so we have never bought them. When ever my 7 year old is complaining about trying some new food, dh always tells him that it could be worse, it could be lima beans and liver. :)

KristenElizabeth
04-03-2006, 07:08 AM
I really hate squash I think it's so gross it tastes kind of slimy and bitter.

CeeJaye
04-05-2006, 02:07 PM
I really, absolutely, can even stand the smell of cucumber. I hate most veggies but can disguise them enough to get them down but not cucumber. If it is in a salad I can't touch the salad it is contaminated! :D

Someone mentioned parsnips, they are super carrots, oh just nasty.

cheers, cj

peacock 2
04-06-2006, 07:38 AM
Loathe Swede (Rutabaga I think you Yanks call it) and turnips and parnips and kohlrabi. All soemwhat sweet - not fond of yams or sweet potatoes either. Or cooked celery - raw is fine. Raw carrots better than cooked too.

madscientist
04-06-2006, 09:12 PM
Asparagus, brussel sprouts and beets! YUCK.

lynnerosa
04-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Not many, I admit - but OKRA for sure :(

lilybelle
04-20-2006, 10:04 PM
Beets, Turnips and Radishes are the only veggies that I can't stand. My favorites are Brocolli, Cauliflower, Squash, Okra, Green Beans, Brussel Sprouts, Cabbage and Peas.

cardsfan2009
04-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Ugghh, how about, BEETS? omg, how horrible. And cooked carrots are absolutely disgusting. (love raw ones though!) Oh yes, also green, red, OR yellow bell peppers, or cooked onions...lol. I like raw onions, just not cooked. How weird. There are a lot of veggies I like, they just have to be ina certain form. I LOVE LOVE broccoli. I can eat a bunch of the stuff, raw or cooked.

Mini-Me
05-03-2006, 09:38 AM
I despise green peas! Hate them, hate them!

San*_*
05-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Parsnips and swedish turnips.

Anin
05-08-2006, 06:40 AM
I hate brussel sprouts. They look so cute like little cabbages but the taste of them could knock a person out.

CrazedLedZepFan
05-13-2006, 12:39 AM
celery YUCK

GoingGoal
07-25-2006, 11:00 PM
Radishes, Orka and raw tomatoes. I don't mind tomatoes if they are cooked or stewed I just really dislike them raw.

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/fdm/shy.gif[Automated by GetSmile] Theresa

snuggle
07-28-2006, 05:27 PM
Am I the only one who loves all vegetables? Never have tried one I wouldn't eat. People think I am crazy when they hear that. Okay, I guess I no longer like brussel sprouts (fresh anyway). Not long ago I was cleaning them up and found tiny live worms in them. Put me off of those for good I think.:mad:

flower
07-28-2006, 05:43 PM
I refuse to try brussel sprouts, smell bad! I don't like asparagus, hate green bell peppers. Beats are gross and I am not sure if I would like artichokes or not, haven't been brave enough to try. Oh, water chestnuts are another gross item.

I love broccoli, cauliflower, cooked onions, cabbage, pea pods, raw celery, cucumbers, carrots, white and sweet potatoes, corn, sprouts, lima beans, tomatos, avocados...

bluesgirlinnola
08-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Beets Beets Beets

nelie
08-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Wow, I think I must be one of the few that loves all veggies. Brussel sprouts are one of my favorites but I do admit you have to cook them right or they taste strange. I also love raw beets! One of my favorite salads is a raw beet salad. It is SOOOO good. I love veggies :)

Ilene
08-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Wow, I think I must be one of the few that loves all veggies. Brussel sprouts are one of my favorites but I do admit you have to cook them right or they taste strange. I also love raw beets! One of my favorite salads is a raw beet salad. It is SOOOO good. I love veggies :)I love all veggies too, some more than others, but I never turn my nose up to a veggie...

jillybean720
08-20-2006, 05:52 PM
Ha, I wish I loved all veggies--it would certainly make dieting/healthy eating easier! :dizzy:

BreakingFree
08-28-2006, 05:29 PM
I like most veggies but avoid cauliflower & radishes. Yuck.

Glory87
08-28-2006, 05:42 PM
I love nearly all vegetables. Even the ones I don't like, I could still eat, they just aren't what I would choose.

Least preferred:

Raw/cooked cauliflower
Raw broccoli (must be cut into little pieces, cooked is fine)
Lima beans
Green peppers

Most preferred:

Tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, carrots, red peppers, steamed broccoli, garlic, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, sugar snap peas, basil, spinach, lentils

LIL'JJ
08-28-2006, 05:48 PM
Carrots......I am considered weird in my family because I cant stand them. I have tried them in ranch ,cooked , in salad but each is a strike out. I guess the only way I will eat them is if they are boiled . When it comes down to it, the only carrot I like is a dancing one!!!!:carrot: - JJ

Tisha___
10-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Well, for me it's easier just to list all of the veggies that I do like (or that I can at least stand to eat)...and it's not many.

Raw Carrots
Green Beans
Peas
Corn
Fried Okra
Black Eyed Peas ...or wait, they're not veg, are they? Oh well.
Oh, and um, does lettuce count? LOL

Spinymouse
03-03-2007, 10:11 AM
I love all vegetables, except the real sweet ones like yams and watermelon.
I hate sweet things. I have a real hard time eating FRUITS except for sour apples. Fruit to me smells like rotting garbage in a dumpster. And I don't want one single cell of strawberry anywhere near my mouth.

PinkyPie
03-03-2007, 10:48 AM
brussel sprouts are a NO GO for me! yuck!! and cooked peas and carrots. I really can not stomach them at all. I can eat sugar snap peas and raw carrots though. I love most vegetables, but these three need to stay as far away from me as possible!

cantforgetthis
03-20-2007, 01:45 AM
Zucchini, squash, eggplant, okra, and turnips are all definates, either cooked or raw. Yuck! And as hard as I've tried, I just can't seem to get past the smell and strong taste of most dark leafy greens like mustard and collards. I love the spring field greens though, go figure. LOL

LLV
03-23-2007, 05:28 PM
I had to laugh when I found this (thread/ forum). I have been posting on 3FC for several YEARS now and I am still DISCOVERING new Forums here on 3FC.

I am relieved to know that I am not the ONLY one who stands in front of my Freezer and Stares at the bags of Frozen Veggies trying to talk myself into pulling one of them out. It is not that I HATE Veggies -- I don't hate them. I can even enjoy them (when they magically appear in front of me on my plate).

It is just that Veggies don't seem to satisfy my "Head Hunger" They are not "comfort foods" to me. Especially without butter or sauces on them. They don't CALL out to me from my Freezer

So I mainly eat them when I am being "good". But I usually do not CRAVE them. I envy those that do crave them.
--Pookie

I feel the same exact way. Although I like most vegetables, I'd much rather have that pita sandwich or that turkey burger. Or even a big salad rather than just a pile of veggies.

killmisspiggy
03-23-2007, 08:12 PM
I still hate green leafy vegetables. I don't even like lettuce. I'm so weird!

ennay
03-23-2007, 11:11 PM
cooked green peppers, so I just use red everywhere, brussel sprouts, beets, cooked cauliflower, anything overcooked

BeezKnees
03-24-2007, 12:17 AM
Most things I'll eat if they're part of a soup or something, but not mushrooms. I detest mushrooms. They taste like dirt.

Luminous
03-24-2007, 12:30 AM
Veggies I'm pretty sure I don't like:

Brussels sprouts. I'm honestly not sure if I've ever tried them, but I've smelled them.
Avocado. Last time I tried guacamole, I hated it. However, now that I know avocados are full of fat, I'm tempted to give them another shot. ;)
Winter squashes. This one I'm definite on! I gave acorn another try a month ago and ick! Sweet mealy vegetables are very iffy for me. I've just begun easing into sweet potatoes after having loathed them all my life in candied/drowning in sugar form—with salt and spices baked as fries. Pumpkin is still on the iffy list too, though of course I enjoy it baked in things. :lol:
Lima beans. That mealy thing again. Hey! Guacamole is mealy too! I'm sensing a pattern…

Unusual vegetables that I adore:
- Parsnips. Which is odd, because, cooked properly, they are sweet AND mealy.
- Beets. Raw, cooked, and PICKLED! How can one not love that gorgeous color?
- Kohlrabi. You know how people describe jicama as like a cross between potato and apple? Kohlrabi is like a cross between cabbage and apple.

BeezKnees
03-24-2007, 12:34 AM
Oh, and I hate rhubarb. It makes me gag just to think about it. Blech!

Jennylee
03-24-2007, 01:04 AM
Under sufferance I will eat BRUSSEL SPROUTS but really don't like them at all. I have tried them in all sorts of ways, lightly steamed, boiled (and even cut the base with a "X" which is meant to let the bitterness out) added sugar......still far too bitter for me. Even had them with lemon and butter on them. YUCKY BIG TIME.

I love most of my vegies but am not a big fan of things like broad beans, kidney beans etc. Love normal green beans though. :)

Jennylee

LLV
03-24-2007, 01:44 AM
Linda 'LLV"

Congrats on being SO CLOSE to your goal You must feel great.

Thank you! :)

And your idea of a Turkey Burger and a Salad actually sounds very good to me right now! That would also be a satisfying good choice for me to order the next time my Friends are STUFFING themselves with bad food choices in a restaurant ( and they always Moan with pleasure when eating of course). I'll just have to remember to have the salad dressing "on the side" so they don't drench the salad in dressing. Thanks, Pookie

I love turkey burgers and big salads!

rockinrobin
03-24-2007, 06:55 AM
I am so fortunate that I love most vegetables. Although I don't like most of them raw. And I do find myself gravitating towards them instead of other foods. Very fortunate indeed.

The only way I'll eat eggplant is dipped in egg and then breadcrumbs and then fried and covered with sauce and cheese. Soooo, that one's kinda out of contention. I don't care for okra much either. I'm not too sure what to do with turnips or rutabagga and that kind of stuff.

Newlifestyle
03-24-2007, 07:18 AM
Robin, as for turnips, rutabagga, these are delicious cut up and roasted in the oven at about 400 with a teaspon of olive oil and garlic. It is so yummy. Sometimes I roast turnips, onions, and carrots. I try to mix my vegetables I roast. Sometimes I will add potatoe or sweet potatoe, other times I just roast turnip and parsnip. Give it a try.

I absolutely hate beets and canned peas.

Glory87
03-28-2007, 10:10 AM
Oh yeah - peas are great, canned peas are an abomination.

LLV
03-28-2007, 10:59 AM
Oh yeah - peas are great, canned peas are an abomination.

Oddly, I like canned peas. I'll eat them canned, fresh, frozen, doesn't matter.

I prefer fresh, though. There's nothing better than growing your own peas and picking one of the pods off the vine, popping it open and eating the peas right out of the pod. If corn on the cob is sweet and tender enough, I'll eat that raw, too.

Bikini Dreader
03-28-2007, 11:22 AM
I hate Mushrooms! Everything else is great. I love veggies

2frustrated
03-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Peas :barf: Canned, frozen :barf: Sugar snaps and mange tout :T Even shelled fresh ones uncooked. But any type of small round green effort that I have on a plate at dinner - NO WAY!

And just don't get me started on MUSHY PEAS :barf: :barf: :barf:

Apart from that.... I think it's all good! Not tried celeriac but I used to prepare it, I can't imagine it being nice, but I would at least try it. :)

nelie
03-28-2007, 11:31 AM
I don't like canned veggies except for tomatoes and artichoke hearts. I much prefer frozen.

As for a veggie that I don't like... umm... I'm thinking... umm... nope sorry. I used to not like spinach when I was young but that was because my mom would buy canned spinach and it'd smell so bad. I pretty much like every vegetable, some of them I love while some I feel a little less enthusiastic about.

doozer
03-28-2007, 11:42 AM
I'm another one that doesn't like peas. It's not the taste it's the consistancy. It's too much effort to go chasing them around the plate.

In the UK and Ireland we have a dish called mushy peas and I'd eat that but otherwise I counldn't be bothered. It's silly really since I don't mind going for an hour long walk but I resent having to eat peas!! Weird. :dizzy:

Natalia
04-08-2007, 12:04 PM
I like most veggies, but I hate:
Turnip , radishes, and beets. Yuk. And I've never had eggplant or okra ..
I like zucchini cooked in a touch of olive oil, and with a dab of ranch dressing or creamy garlic when it's done, mmmm.
Love mushrooms, grape tomatoes, peppers, frenched green beans, cauli, broccoli..bean sprouts, chinese lettuce, etc.
It must be more of a challenge to eat healthily if you hate most veggies!

La Vita Dolce
04-16-2007, 01:49 PM
I absolutely hate brussel sprouts. I've hated them my whole life!

judyt
04-17-2007, 01:43 PM
I like most veggies but can't stand peas! Not only do I hate the way the taste and the texture but I can't stand to look at them!
I also hate beans and lentils! I sure wish I liked them because they are so good for you. I do like baked beans though, probably because they are loaded with sugar.
Judy

Janny O
04-18-2007, 03:04 PM
I used to have a summer job in a canning factory-peas were what we canned.
OMG-to this day, I can't stand to even look at them. :barf:

clvquilts
04-18-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm not fond of kale, but I'll eat it because it's good for me. Mostly it's a texture thing - too rough.

Lima beans are difficult to swallow, but the taste isn't too bad.

Ketchup is awful.

Not keen on parsnips.

Love acorn squash, asparagus, avocados, beets, beens, butternut squash, brocolli, brocolli rabe, carrots, cellery, collard greens, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, fennel, garlic, green beens, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms, olives, onions, peas, peppers, potatoes, spinach, sweet potatoes, summer squash, tomatoes, water chestnuts, winter squash, zuchini

Like brussel sprouts, cabagge, cauliflower, mustard greens, radishes, spaghetti squash, swiss chard, turnips, watercrest

Flutterby873
04-24-2007, 04:29 PM
I hate peppers...red, green, orange, yellow. I hate them all and how they make everything they touch taste like peppers. The same goes for celery, I can't stand how everything its cooked like tastes like it!!

Nikaia
04-24-2007, 07:06 PM
I utterly despise peppers, in any color. They're...bitter, or sour, or something. I pick them out of everything. Also on the not-eating list would be brussels sprouts and green beans. Other than that, while I may not prefer veggies, I don't have any "I hate"s.

Glory87
04-24-2007, 07:40 PM
I like most veggies but can't stand peas! Not only do I hate the way the taste and the texture but I can't stand to look at them!

How much do you hate the way peas look? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUk_3eKL9Xk

xtiffanyx
05-08-2007, 02:33 PM
I hate peas, mushrooms, and canned spinach. Canned spinach is some scary looking stuff.

calico_cat
05-08-2007, 02:40 PM
turnip or squash. blah!!!!!

purpleorc
06-10-2007, 11:53 AM
I love most vegetable but there is one i hate with a passion thats peas :barf: I hate them in any shape or form that includes raw, processed, garden tinned, mushy and frozen. I have hated them since a child and even as my tastes have changed as an adult, my hate for them still has not changed.
I can remember once that my parents made me sit and eat them. That did not help me like them any better :D but money was tight when I was growing up so food was not to be wasted.

walking2lose
06-10-2007, 12:00 PM
Just green peppers

bodhisattva
06-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Another pea-hater here! I am pretty much physically incapable of eating them....my throat closes up and I gag, LOL!

There are actually several other veggies I don't like....which made life interesting when I was a vegetarian (and even more interesting now that I am seriously considering giving up meat again!)! Beets, spinach, and cooked carrots....try as I might I just cannot convince myself that they are tasty, lol. I can eat mushrooms if they are in or on something, but not by themselves.

pgerik
06-20-2007, 01:00 PM
brussel sprouts and eggplant.

blondebritbrat17
07-26-2007, 07:22 PM
Cabbage, peas, beets and onions and mushrooms. I also do not mash up veggies like cauliflower. I heard once cauliflower mashed up tastes just like mashed potatoes. YEAH RIGHT!! It was gross. I have a food intolerance to onions. They make me have digestive and bathroom problems. Once you've thrown up onions, you'll never eat them again. I avoid them like the plague. I'm still experimenting with what veggies I like so I'm sure this list will get longer lol.

INVU
07-27-2007, 01:20 AM
one word Peas:barf::barf::barf:

cottagebythesea
07-27-2007, 06:11 AM
Okra! :barf:

Schmoodle
07-28-2007, 05:11 AM
Brussels sprouts
okra
mushrooms

Yuck!

BumpSetSpike
07-28-2007, 05:17 AM
I effin love peas.

Just... canned spinach and broccoli... yuck yuck yuck. The world can do without.

cuppajoe
07-28-2007, 12:44 PM
I loathe asparagus!

cuppa

elmuyloco5
07-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Ix

weezerloo
07-31-2007, 04:56 AM
I can't stand tomatoes! I love Salsa, and even tomato based soups, but can't stand the acidity and aftertaste of a stinkin' tomato! Sadly, they are one of the foods I would love to love (especially grape tomatoes and the fresh, juicy looking ones I see in the summer time), but I just can't stomach them. I also hate cucumbers and green bell peppers. I do want to experiment with cucumbers to find some way to eat them (maybe with hummus or some other dip).

FrouFrou
07-31-2007, 01:04 PM
eggplant, caulifower, asparagus, squash (except yellow), radishes, turnips, I think that's about it.

Love, love, love, spinach, peas, cabbage, lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms, green beans, corn and okra!

Rhighlan86
07-31-2007, 11:19 PM
TOMATOS! Ugh....lol but the thing that irks my boyfriend the most is that I love them in every other form except raw. I put ketchup on anything, ill eat them stewed, in salsa, as sauce, anything but not raw yuck

Ilene
07-31-2007, 11:30 PM
TOMATOS! Ugh....lol but the thing that irks my boyfriend the most is that I love them in every other form except raw. I put ketchup on anything, ill eat them stewed, in salsa, as sauce, anything but not raw yuckDid you know that they are raw in salsa?

WindyCityChick
07-31-2007, 11:55 PM
Oh, for me this is an easy call - I cannot stand brussel sprouts! I like or will tolerate almost any other form of veggie, but the smell of brussel sprouts just drives me around the bend. And yes, I've tried them roasted, and every other way that people tell me is the way to kill the bitterness, it just ain't working for me.

My friend who hosted a surprise birthday party for me last year made a huge dish of brussel sprouts :p Didn't she understand it was my birthday, so everything there should have been stuff I like?!

shananigans
08-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Did you know that they are raw in salsa?

They're only fresh in salsa if it's fresh salsa (the refridgerated kind). Anything in a jar has to be cooked somewhat to kill the bacteria before it's sealed. That's what makes it shelf safe.

Raw celery and radishes are the only vegetables I really dislike.

Ilene
08-01-2007, 11:28 AM
They're only fresh in salsa if it's fresh salsa (the refridgerated kind). Anything in a jar has to be cooked somewhat to kill the bacteria before it's sealed. That's what makes it shelf safe.

.I see I didn't realize that, thanks for the info...

leah_0600
08-02-2007, 05:59 AM
the ONLY vegetable i don't like is corgette... which was put in practically every meal in the uni cafeteria :(

yocalot
08-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Broccoli! YICK! About the only way I'll eat it is if I can put lemon on it!

Rhighlan86
08-04-2007, 11:17 AM
When I eat the salsa I don't eat the chunks so much as just the sauce

RocknRoll
08-05-2007, 04:17 PM
onions

I eat everything but onions. EUUCH!

vealcalf2000
08-05-2007, 05:00 PM
onions

I eat everything but onions. EUUCH!

Ditto on the onion. I also can't stand tomatoes. I'm like previous poster if it's ketchup, tomato sauce, marinara it's all good but to eat a raw tomato-yuck!:no:

EZMONEY
08-05-2007, 07:44 PM
I will eat any veggie but BEETS...yuko!

xDas7x
08-06-2007, 02:33 AM
I cant stand radishes.. and carrots. I can only eat carrots if they're steamed.. raw carrots just don't taste right to me.. ugh.

Bouncing
08-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Okra. The only "food" that manages to be both furry and slimey at the same time.l

BillBlueEyes
08-10-2007, 01:04 PM
I really like almost all vegetables. Broccoli, kale, and Brussels Sprouts are favorites.

BUT, I hated sweet potatoes all my life, until last year when I had then with drizzled with olive oil and lime - terrific.
(I thought they only came baked under marshmallows - ugh :( ).

NightengaleShane
08-10-2007, 02:09 PM
I hate asparagus... YUCK!! I am not fond of carrots, either, nor do I like beets, cooked cabbage, steamed broccoli without cheese, cooked/steamed/creamed spinach or PEAS from a can!

As far as I know, everything else is fair game with me! I love most raw veggies with a good low fat dip (raw broccoli and spinach are great, I just hate 'em cooked).

gailr42
08-11-2007, 04:17 PM
Okra. I can eat it smothered in oil, crumbs etc, but I looked for some recipes that were a little healthier, and tried it, but, yuck!!! I got a lot of free okra, but gave it all away.

Eggplant. It looks cool, is in style right now, but I really don't like it. Has a sort of mushy styrofoam texture. Again, loaded with oil,it is ok, but that's not the point of all this.

luja
09-13-2007, 11:10 PM
eggplant -eeeewww.

I'd also have to go with Okra.

and canned spinach. That stuff is just wrong.

diana28
09-14-2007, 06:44 AM
I hate spinach, eggplant, and broccolli

losinitin07
09-16-2007, 06:52 AM
I do not and never did like radishes :nono:But in general I like just about any veggie. :carrot::broc:.

LaurieDawn
10-09-2007, 05:20 AM
I know that it's only classified as a vegetable for school lunch purposes, but ketchup.

I even hate typing it and looking at the word. When I shop with my 7YO son and he spots the hated product first, he will shield it from my view. When I go out to restaurants with my family (that stuff can never be in my house), I have to turn my body completely away so that I can't even smell it. It all stems from a pregnancy/vomiting issue, but there it is. It is crazy bad how much I detest that stuff.

Nadia
10-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Lately, I have been finding that more and more vegetables that I thought I hated, without ever trying, I actually like (or can stand).
I like tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, peppers of all types and colors, lima beans, green beans, carrots, corn, mushrooms, potatoes, celery, peas, radishes, beets, broccoli, asparagus, and probably some others I can not think of.
I can stand zucchini, and have yet been brave enough to try cauliflower, cabbage, or brussel sprouts.

Onions, however, will never be acceptable to me. They stink raw and cooked. I am repulsed by them. I am very careful to avoid onions, onion powder, onion juice, dehydrated onions, et cetera in ingredients (which is surprisingly hard).

xtrisaratops
10-19-2007, 01:29 PM
I despise beets, despise them with every fiber of my being. I have always hated them ever since I was little, and I always will. It doesn't matter how they are cooked or how they are "hidden" in a recipe, I can always find them and spit them half-way across the room.

wifey bullseye
10-19-2007, 01:35 PM
I can't stand raw carrots...but not just any raw carrots...I can handle baby carrots...but carrot sticks...:nono: I think thats because my mom made me eat carrot sticks EVERY DAY for lunch. If I came home with them in my lunchbox, the same carrot sticks would be back in my lunch the next day.

ViolinCyndee
10-19-2007, 03:36 PM
OH I can come up with a huge list of veggies I hate!

Here are some:
eggplant
beets
kale
brussels sprouts
olives (not exactly a veg I think, but still)

But I also love tons of veggies too!

tamaralynn
11-25-2007, 04:33 PM
I honestly don't think there are any veggies or fruit that I truly hate.
I love everything... but I'm the only one in the house that will eat wilted spinach or brussel sprouts.

I've never roasted Brussel sprouts, going to do so tonight. Hopefully the family will like it a little bit.

The only veggie that I'm kind of iffy about is Cauliflower... I have to realllly be hungry to eat them. I'll end up buying a head of it because it's cheap and in season.... it usually goes rotten in my fridge and I end up chucking it.

fiberlover
11-26-2007, 09:25 PM
Mushrooms.... ugh!!!! Besides, that's a fungus, not a food!

If a bit of mushroom gets in my mouth, my throat closes up and my teeth literally won't come together. It's almost like an allergy. It's the one veggie I cannot 'sneak' into my foods.

~Cherie~
11-30-2007, 04:54 AM
Carrots. Bleurgh!!! I've hated them since I was a kid. I do eat them as long as they're part of a recipe, but you'll never convince me that raw carrot sticks with hummus is a tasty snack.

I don't know what okra is though .... not sure if we've got that here in Australia (although it sounds like that might be a good thing lol).

rockinrobin
12-01-2007, 06:59 AM
Oh I love carrots. Yup, baby ones eaten raw and dipped in hummus. I also love them shredded in stir fries and shredded in the red cabbage slaw that I make. Okra on the other hand......

nelie
12-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Oh I love mushrooms, a lot.

I also love carrots. I eat carrots almost every day, mostly raw, but occasionally in soups and such.

I like okra but it is a bit slimey. I have had korean okra (it is huge) which was actually better than the smaller, american okras.

I love veggies.

rockinrobin
12-01-2007, 09:16 AM
I love mushrooms too. A lot.

The only time I've really liked okra is at a mid-eastern restaurant. Served in a tomato sauce of some sort. It was quite good.

I love veggies.

Nori71
12-01-2007, 06:42 PM
I love veggies too! And I'm so happy that my 2.5 and 4 year old do also! The only veggie I don't enjoy (so far) are lima beans. Oh yeah, and radicchio and curly endive lettuce. I pick them out of the mix.

some1sospecial
12-03-2007, 02:32 PM
I absolutely love veggies, I even learned to eat asparagus but for the life of me I can not stand Brussel Sprouts! :)

better health3
12-23-2007, 12:03 PM
I dislike beets, cauliflower, and canned asparagus.

ckatgo
12-24-2007, 06:59 AM
beets, avacados, fennel....yck!!!!

and I am huge veggie person!

cbmare
02-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Green beans! I will eat them pickled in my taco salad. Other than that, they have to be cooked to mush before I can tolerate them. They squeek in my mouth!

Eggplant. I don't like the big fat one. I don't know why they are on the planet. I'm trying to get into the smaller Asian ones.

Avocadoes should be banned as well! I don't know how people eat that cow snot with chips and on perfectly good food.

I love okra if it is rolled in cornmeal and fried. However, since fried food is a no no, I have to have it on rare occassion.

Tomatoes if they aren't garden fresh. I won't eat them in the winter. I won't buy them at the store in summer. I will get some at the farmer's markets in summer until my own come in. I can them and have them for sauces, soups and cooking in the winter. It's nice eating my own maters.

Portobello mushies. I like just about all others.

I now like cabbage. Since I control how it is cooked now and not boiled into oblivion like Momma did, I like it. I no longer want to mail it to the starving children overseas like I tried to do when I was 8.

ChrystalM
03-01-2008, 07:46 AM
I love most veggies!! Some I really don't like are eggplant, lima beans, raddichio, arugula, dandelion greens, celery:no:, grape tomatoes.

mariquita
03-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Lentil beans and lima beans are the only one's I can't eat. All others, are okay.

Hoopla
03-01-2008, 09:58 PM
I have a ton... unfortunately.

The Top 5.

1) Okra
2) Asparagus
3) Cabbage
4) Brussel Sprouts
5) Sweet Potatoes

:o

SkinnyGina
03-31-2008, 05:44 PM
ONIONS ...

Havent been able to eat them at all, and figures my family loves them. Growing up I have spent many a fine hour picking chopped onions out of dinners:dizzy:

retiredone
04-02-2008, 06:39 PM
I haven't met a vegetable I don't like or will like. Brussel sprouts were on my list of dislikes for years but then I tasted the frozen sprouts and they are really good--not bitter like many of the fresh ones. Of course, I haven't tasted every vegetable out there but I have made up my mind to like them all and not make rude comments or noises if they don't make a good first impression.

momof4girls
04-02-2008, 07:04 PM
brussel sprouts yuck yuck yuck!!!

Yeah, that.

mandalinn82
04-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Raw celery - I've tried it in all kinds of preparations. It makes me gag. I tried it again today. Nope - still makes me gag.

Lunula
04-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Brussel sprouts, cauliflower and green beans. Blech!

ShannanA
04-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Black eyed peas! eww eww eww

collard greens
turnips
radishes
beets
okra
leeks

4mykids3
04-04-2008, 09:44 PM
I knew I really did not like many vegies but until I had to come up with one I really did not like I did not realize that I did not like so many.

The top 5 would be.

1. Beets
2. Brussels Sprouts
3. Califlower
4. Cabbage
5. turnips

Darkblue
04-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Beets, turnips, rutabagas, raw bell peppers, radishes, horseradish, brussels sprouts, raw celery, cooked greens of any sort...all should be BANNED. I can't even walk by bell peppers in a store--the smell alone gives me a headache.

orthodiva
04-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Broccoli rabe. Ick.

When I was younger, my mom would make this dish with cooked cucumbers. I hated cooked cucumber night and would swallow them really fast to get them off my plate. I still like cucumbers, but raw only please!

gemini1567
04-06-2008, 11:16 PM
It would be easier for me to answer which ones I do like

Top 5
1. Cauliflower
2. Brussel Sprouts
3. Lima Beans
4. Mushrooms
5. Beets

Vintage Glamour
04-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Onions, Mushrooms, and Peas! :carrot:

CandyKisses0204
04-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Im Pretty sure Lima Beans are the mosr FOUL thing known to man! ick along with brussel sprouts and beets

Lizzard
04-11-2008, 12:40 AM
Brussels sprouts and radishes -- and any of those horrible spicy- bitter greens like arugula.

jitterfish
04-13-2008, 05:51 AM
mushrooms (ok so not a vege but hey)
pumpkin
parsnips
any veges that my mum cooks! (boiled to death or roasted dry)

leela0730
04-21-2008, 07:24 PM
1. Onions. Not a flavor issue...I cook a lot and I love to cook with onion. It's a texture thing. So when I cook with onion (say in chili or chowder) I chop the pieces up HUGE so I can pick them out of my bowl. I've tried chopping them up tiny, hoping they'll disappear into the dish, but they never do. All it takes is one "crunch!" between my teeth and the dish is done for me. But my husband loves onions, and he loves my new chopping-them-huge method because when I fish them out of my bowl I just put them in his.

2. Brussels sprouts. Sweet niblets, I've tried. Oh, how I've tried! They are my husband's favorite vegetable, and so I have tried dozens of times. And every time I will eat two or three and then ignore the rest. I just can't deal with that dirty-sock flavor.

3. Raw celery. I can't deal with the fibers in it, or the chlorophyll-green taste. I haven't tried it in years and don't plan to any time soon! :-)

You know the saddest thing? I LOVE mushrooms. Love them. But my husband had a bad experience with them as a child, and now he can't even see or smell them being cooked. So I never get to cook with them! Boo hoo. Oh well, when I go out for pizza I get mushrooms every time! :)

MonteCristo
04-23-2008, 03:03 PM
Well, let's see. I don't like any vegetables, but which ones do I hate? I haven't even tried a great many of them (rutabages for instance), but of the ones I've been forced to eat on occasion, this are on the top of my *ahem* list.

1. Mushrooms
2. Squash other than Butternut
3. Brussel Sprouts
4. Lima Beans

Ladybballer24
04-24-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm trying to find a love in carrots but it's hard.

I also don't like:
1. Beets
2. Brussel sprouts

Ija
04-26-2008, 06:29 PM
There is no vegetable I hate outright (save perhaps for okra), but sometimes the preparation makes them so intolerable. I guess that just makes me a picky eater.

Spinach, beets, and bell peppers need to be raw or else I won't touch the stuff! Onions need to be finely chopped because I can't take big, slimy pieces. And tomatoes need to be cooked and pulverized. There are no big tomato pieces (and certainly not raw tomatoes) allowed in my diet.

Ija
04-26-2008, 06:30 PM
For those of you who don't like beets, ever try them raw? I mean chopped into little sticks, coated with lemon juice and olive oil, and sprinkled with sunflower seeds. They make for a delicious salad --mild, slightly sweet, very crunchy!

novi den
04-26-2008, 08:31 PM
Raw celery. Iceberg lettuce.

Sunnya
05-10-2008, 05:46 PM
Def. turnips, brussel sprouts and cooked cabbage... Cant stomach them.

ViolinJenn
05-14-2008, 08:16 AM
No matter how they are cooked or if they are sneeked in...I STILL hate mushrooms!

Generally though, I don't like raw veggies except carrots, but cooked, steamed, stir fried or whatever...YUM!!!

jeannie117
05-16-2008, 08:07 AM
I may be weird, but I'm not a fan of anything that is not green and leafy. Don't like squash, beans, okra and especially bitter gourd. My mom hates me for not eating much veggies. LOL

VelVeeta
05-21-2008, 03:26 PM
eggplant...I tried it again recently and still just don't have a taste for it

Iconised Ghost
07-28-2008, 06:08 AM
i was just about to say egg plant too! Its not a vegetable, its just slimy watery ickyness!

Quillie
08-17-2008, 07:07 AM
Fennel! It's the only thing I can think of, I must say okra is not sold here though so I haven't tried it.
Also Brussels sprouts are only bitter if you overcook them (which happens easily), like most cabbages. *defends belgian food*

snapless
08-17-2008, 08:07 AM
Beets. Have tried beets in so many different ways and have found every single one to have that disgusting taste I can't stand.

It's like my best friend and lima beans - she won't even eat food that has been touching a lima bean, says she can taste it. I can't, but I don't doubt her...that's how I am about beets.

There are things I don't like the texture of (hominy), or only like prepared certain ways (broccoli), but an overall dislike? Only beets.

mountain mama
08-17-2008, 08:09 AM
Peas. I dont know why. But my father used to pay me a dollar a pea at family christmas dinners so I would clean my plate. I still could only get like 2 down.

cottagebythesea
08-17-2008, 08:16 AM
Okra. It's disgusting.

Ruthxxx
08-17-2008, 08:53 AM
I'm with Cottage on okra! Slimy or prickly but always yicky!

dcapulet
08-17-2008, 10:20 AM
peas/carrots.

Smiling_Sara
08-17-2008, 10:44 PM
brussell sprouts. blech!!