Weight Loss Support - The Most Dangerous Months

View Full Version : The Most Dangerous Months

penpal
10-31-2005, 08:32 PM
I don't know about you, but I've been soooo hungry since daylight savings time ended. Of course, I'm ready for lunch and dinner an hour earlier because of the time change so I start looking for things to munch on :o I guess this is also the time of year our ancestors stored fat for the famine months :eating2::eating2::eating2::eating2:

Well, there's no famine in sight. Today is Halloween :), so you know what that means candy, candy and more candy just when we're getting hungry, hungry, hungry for delicious empty carbs :yikes: . We get a short breather and it's on to Thanksgiving, followed by Thanksgiving leftovers month.

Then comes Christmas, Hanukkah, etc. - not to mention the extra stress-related eating these holidays bring - oh joy! Then it's pretty much eggnog and fruit cake till the final big bash on New Year's when we get to eat and drink as much as possible before we make our New Year's Resolutions (see last year's resolutions) :woo:. Yes, the famine is getting pretty close now.

I think the months of October, November and December are the most difficult time of the year to lose (or keep off) weight. Now is the time to be on your guard for all these eating triggers!

I've got a challenge for you - tell me something you DIDN'T eat today :angel: even though you were very, very tempted! :devil:

Ok, I'll go first - I didn't buy any of my favorite type of Halloween candy and I'll toss any that's left over. I'll make a nice fruit salad with a small scoop of lf vanilla ice cream instead :T

How are you managing to resist temptation?

LovesBassets
10-31-2005, 08:44 PM
Well, it's 7:40 pm and I've only had 2 trick-or-treaters, which means -- of course -- that I'm alone in the house with a basket full of snack-size Jelly Bellys and M&Ms.

Not good.

What I haven't eaten today is any of those M&Ms or Jelly Bellys. But the night is still young :p . I highly suspect I'll be eating some M&Ms in the next few hours....

The whole basket is going in the outside trash bin at 9pm sharp.

(PS: what I did eat today is a normal-size pack of Twizzlers....totally unrelated to Halloween, and NOT a good thing to do :dizzy: .)

penpal
10-31-2005, 10:51 PM
Hi Kate,

That reminds me - I'll have to put some stinky stuff on top of the left over candy in the trash as I'm ashamed to say I have been known to fish it out! :o

So M&Ms are your favorites? I used to get mini Mounds and Kit-Kats when our son was little (I used to say to myself "they are HIS favorites") yeah right! :lol:

Watch out for those tricky treats! ;)

Heather
10-31-2005, 11:45 PM
One of my colleagues offered me a beautiful, homemade halloween cookie with homemade frosting as a prelude to a favor. I wanted to say yes for a number of reasons (just to avoid the whole conversation for one), but I held firm.

Valerie Joy
10-31-2005, 11:46 PM
The time change has messed me up also. I was so hungry for dinner tonight I almost cheated.

I didn't eat any candy today even though I was VERY tempted! :)

AnnieFannie
11-01-2005, 12:13 AM
The time change has really played tricks with me. I totally feel hungry. I was tempted to have a big bowl of ice cream, but I opted to have 2 little Junior Mints. 170 calories for 16 pieces. So that was like 22 calories. Not to bad and I was pretty satisfied. Though the ice cream would have been divine(Ben & Jerry's Everything But The....) Yummy...

I resist by telling myself do I really need that. And remind myself where it will end up. Plus I try to grab a yogurt or a piece of fruit. But it can be really hard some days.

penpal
11-01-2005, 12:50 AM
wyllen - it must have been hard to say 'no' to that cookie, but I bet you're glad you did. I know the feeling as to how it sometimes seems easier to accept a food you don't really want rather than get into all the whys and wherefores! :rolleyes:

Valerie Joy - Good for you for avoiding the candy gremlins! :carrot:

AnnieFannie - Isn't it amazing the difference 1 hour can make? :dizzy:. I heard they are thinking of extending daylight savings next year - I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing :?:.

I've been eating a lot more fruit lately (mostly grapes, berries (from frozen) and pears). I know it's got lots of carbs, but it's still better for you than candy and I'm hoping the extra vitamins in it will keep the colds & flu away this winter.

If I do have a "cheat" food, I still make sure to log how much I'm eating - this seems to help me be more 'conscious' of what I'm eating too. Somehow, knowing I'm going to be logging the food, I tend to eat a smaller portion than I would have done otherwise.

Oh, I just remembered something else that makes me hungry this time of the year. My allergies seem to get worse when the weather is damp (mold, etc.) which leads to a stuffy nose, which leads to not sleeping very well thus being tired :tired: all day and needing a sugar boost to keep going :kickcan:.

Keep on track everyone - we won't let the winter 'blahs' get the better of us! :cp:

stacylambert
11-01-2005, 01:18 AM
I purposely bought my favorite candy (Reeses cups) to test myself and didn't have a single one! What I did have was some Halloween Dirt I made with sugar free pudding, cool whip free, and reduced fat oreos. Not the best, but is is a holiday right? ;)

2frustrated
11-01-2005, 05:52 AM
Oh I didn't have french fries! I wanted them soooooo bad! I sometimes think to myself (on a good day, if I remember) "skinny or chips..." skinny usually wins! So I went home and made myself oven wedges cut from a jacket potato! They taste loads better anyway! :D

LovesBassets
11-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Hi Kate,

That reminds me - I'll have to put some stinky stuff on top of the left over candy in the trash as I'm ashamed to say I have been known to fish it out! :o

So M&Ms are your favorites? I used to get mini Mounds and Kit-Kats when our son was little (I used to say to myself "they are HIS favorites") yeah right! :lol:

Penpal, I threw them all out in the outside trash can where the doggie doo and used cat litter goes -- because I (like George Castanza of "Seinfeld" fame) have also been known to go digging through the waste basket to retrieve goodies. Lovely :dizzy: .

Actually PEANUT M&Ms are my favorite....and my total downfall (other than pizza).

I also ate a donut today!!! Grrrr...what is WRONG with me??? :devil:

Mazarin
11-01-2005, 02:37 PM
I really hate going to the supermarket right now, because they have all those wonderful goodies in for the festive season! I just want to eat all the time, it's not good! I've laxed on this diet for a weeks, and although I am back on track I am not being really good with Christmas around the corner!

LovesBassets
11-01-2005, 02:42 PM
This is a bit random, but like Mazarin said, it's getting really tough with the next few holidays looming. The good news is (a) I have no family within 1,000 miles so I won't be pigging out at Thanksgiving dinner, and (b) I'm working all day Thanksgiving ANYWAY -- lab rat rotation (charming). The BAD news is, I'll be spending Christmas week in the UK with a chocoholic beanpole (plus hitting the pubs every night)!

I need a Christmas plan...

phantastica
11-01-2005, 04:14 PM
Three times today, I have walked past the reception-desk candy jar (now overflowing with GOOD chocolate candy instead of polite hard candies that nobody takes).

I got caught with my pants down again ... figuratively speaking, :lol:! It's my last week at my current job, and a coworker called to say he wouldn't be able to make it to my farewell happy hour, and asked to take me to lunch. Usually, I'll research my meal choice ahead of time, but this time I didn't have that opportunity. I *thought* vegetable moussaka with a side salad would be a wise decision, but I found out later that it's quite fat-laden. That's fine - as an added precaution, I took home exactly half of everything on my plate.

I'm not sure how I am going to survive the holiday months, either. I'm hoping that my weight loss this past few months will be enough to propel me through!

I agree - "famine months" has become quite a bit of hogwash, hasn't it!? Maybe that's why people have vamped up the fall/early winter holidays. I've also thought that the fall/winter holidays were more celebrated to compensate for the winter blues associated with shorter days.

penpal
11-01-2005, 09:12 PM
stacylambert - That was very strong willed of you to resist the Reeses Pieces! :carrot:. The "dirt" you made sounds yummy and not too bad in calories.

2frustrated - Good idea to substitute the potato wedges instead of fries - I bet they tasted even better than fries (I love the taste of potato skins :T).

Kate - Maybe you can make yourself a sign that says "DoNot eat DoNuts". It's going to be a challenge going to the pubs in the UK with a chocoholic beanpole :lol:. I have no willpower over food when I've had a few drinks :hat:. I have some friends like that who can eat what they want and never gain an ounce grrrrrrrr! :mad: Maybe you can have a little healthy snack before you go out and that will take the edge off your appetite a bit.

Mazarin - I know what you mean. We were just at Trader Joe's the other day and they already have the imported goodies in. We were very good and didn't buy ANYTHING bad. :cb:. Once I start eating that stuff I can't stop!

phantastica - Good idea to take home half of the portion of the moussaka. I do that a lot. That way you don't feel deprived plus you get another meal out of it. If I can't resist something :cookie:, I try to take a tiny portion so at least I've had a taste. I always log everything, even the "cheats" so I'm more 'aware' of what I'm eating.

Stay strong :strong: and defeat those (junk) food urges! :goodluck:

lizzbabe
11-01-2005, 10:12 PM
I was very tempted by the snacks in the office today namely the open box of Cheez-Its on the table and the chocolate chip cookies at the front desk. BUT I am going to start off November right and I resisted both!

cagirlygirl
11-01-2005, 10:32 PM
In another week or so, it will be 9 months since I've had ANY sweets :eek: (for me, that's cookies, candy, ice cream, muffins, desserts of any kind - sugar free or no). It's been a challenge, but I really want to go a whole year.

I've been totally tempted along the way (like the molten chocolate cake that was delivered to my birthday dinner table - and eaten by everyone but me :faint: ), but Halloween was the biggest test yet. Because I am the Queen of the Snickers. Seriously. I could eat my weight in Snickers bars. In fact, I probably have over the long haul (that's such a nasty thought).

Anyway, on to the good news - I won. I beat the Snickers demon. I survived the desk-to-desk trick or treating at my office. I kept a dish of candy on my desk all day. I passed out candy to trick or treaters at home. Then, I dumped it all in a bag and left it in the office kitchen this morning. Huzzah!

...now, if I could just stop eating everything else in a pms fueled frenzy, I'd be all set. ;)

Great job, everyone! Keep it up! :D

ps. great pic, Kate! you're looking like such a skinny minnie! :carrot:

penpal
11-02-2005, 01:03 PM
lizzbabe - Good for you for resisting temptation :devil:! :cheer:
cagirlygirl - Wow! 9 months without sweets - now that's what I call willpower! :bravo:

It's seems the workplace is the most dangerous place at this time of the year if you are trying to cut back! :dizzy:

Good luck everybody! :goodluck:

paperclippy
11-02-2005, 03:08 PM
I did NOT eat a Reese's PB Cup today. I was about to, then I checked the nutritional info and saw that it was 140 CALORIES. :faint: I had a tootsie roll instead though. :o

penpal
11-02-2005, 07:40 PM
Hi paperclippy,

It's amazing how many calories they cram into those little candies! Funny how one is never enough though! I'm glad you didn't give in to temptation :carrot:. I just looked up tootsie rolls on Nutridiary and they are only 25 calories each - not bad if you can stop at one or two! :dizzy:

AnnieFannie
11-02-2005, 11:24 PM
Yes it's amazing how many calories they cram into those little candy bars. That's why have Junior Mints. You can have 16 for only 170 calories. Not bad if you can stop at having only a couple. Which for me is easy. I like the chocolate but the mint makes me stop at just a couple. :)

Heather
11-02-2005, 11:44 PM
Penpal -- You are so right that sometimes it is easier to just say yes to someone. This is the 2nd time this woman has pushed a homemade goodie on me and the 2nd time I have said no. I don't think she gets how hard it can be and how easy it is to fall off the wagon. If I haven't planned it in, I don't want it!

Cagirlygirl -- WOW! No sweets for 9 months! Congrats!!!!

Actually, when I set my mind to it, the more someone wants me to do it, the more I'm likely to dig my heels in!!

penpal
11-03-2005, 07:36 PM
AnnieFannie - You know, I'd never had a Junior Mint, though I've seen them in the store. I bought some today to try and they are really good and only about 10 calories each. I put mine in the fridge as I think they taste better cold. I'll have to limit myself to a few a day as I could easily eat a whole bunch! Thanks for the tip. :D

wyllenn - Sounds like that woman at work is trying to sabbotage you! :mad:. I was thinking of that ad on TV where the guy has all kinds of ways to say "NO!" :lol:

chick_in_the_hat
11-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Voodoo dolls of said coworker included? :devil:

But seriously - I find it easier to say no than to stop eating more after I've said yes to the first one. It's my line in the sand....

I live on Vanilla Mint Velamints...100 calories for the whole tin....but your toungue will be raw if you eat the whole tin...please don't ask why I know. :o

AnnieFannie
11-03-2005, 07:55 PM
So glad you liked my tip on the Junior Mints. You gave me a good idea. I just had mine sitting on the shelf. I am going to put mine in the refridgerator. Definitely think they would taste great cold or frozen. Thanks.

wyllennIs this woman that pushes the food on you thin or fat? I was thinking maybe if she is thin and hasn't had a weight problem then she just doesn't get it as to why you are saying no. If she knows that you are trying to lose weight, I don't know why she would want to tempt you.

Penpal , You are talking about the Capital One commercial. Where he talks about blackout dates. Going to Reno.. No.. To play Keno.. No.. :lol: I like the guy that keeps saying... I should have worked for Capital One.

Maybe you just need to tell her, thank you for the offer but Please don't offer me the sweets. I don't want them. If I did, I would bring in my own.

Vanilla Mint Velamints.. yummy.. I like those, but I have trouble finding them here where I live.

penpal
11-03-2005, 10:40 PM
chick-in-the-hat - I think those David Spade Capital One ads so are funny - I like the ones with the rampaging vikings too. Maybe everyone who has a 'food tormentor' should make one of those voodoo dolls! :lol: You're right about being best to say 'no' in the first place. Once I get a taste it makes me crave more :spin:. Mmmm Vanilla Vellamints...... You're not supposed to eat the TIN you know! :rofl:

AnnieFannie - It's funny how some things taste better (or different) when they're cold. Frozen grapes and pieces of banana are also good :cb:. Btw, I love your funny avatars!

Heather
11-03-2005, 11:53 PM
You guys are so right about having one sweet makes me want more! It's one of the reasons I just say NO. Until I crave one, I don't want to have one!

And I love those David Spade commercials too!

The woman pushing her sweets on me is thin, doesn't have a weight problem, and doesn't get it. I haven't officially told her that I am trying to lose weight, but she knows I eat healthy these days. I think if I told her of the issues involved that she would stop -- she isn't the sabotage type. So, as I type this, I wonder why haven't I told her that? I think I will, in fact.

penpal
11-04-2005, 12:55 AM
Hi wyllenn,

I guess some people who don't have a weight problem just don't "get it" :rolleyes: I don't think it's necessarily malicious - they haven't walked in our shoes :kickcan:

I'm sure she won't take offense if, the next time the situation arises, you politely tell her that you are cutting back on sugar/candy/cookies/cake (or whatever) and it would be really helpful if she didn't offer them to you.

I have friends who mean well, but say stuff at birthday parties, etc. like "a little piece of cake once in while won't hurt". The trouble is, once I get a good dose of sugar, I'm craving it for at least a day afterwards! Sometimes a "little taste" can turn into a week-long binge! Kind of like a drug addict :dizzy:

Valerie Joy
11-04-2005, 02:09 AM
Penpal I'm the same way. I can't get started with eating sugar or I'll go back to totally craving it.

I always get upset with my family because they ask us to bring desert to family gathering and then make us take it home afterwards. I finally got mad at our labor day picnic and threw half a cake in the garbage after dinner when my mom was saying just bring a couple pieces home.

I'm already worried about having thanksgiving at our house which my family will want stuffing, potatoes, pumpkin pie, biscuits ect.. a bunch of no no's for me.

2frustrated
11-04-2005, 09:03 AM
Yesterday I resisted eating the WHOLE oatmeal and raisin cookie batch! I only had 1. Very restrained! I have 1 today and the rest have gone with DF to work for his birthday!

Tonight might be a different story though, we are out in Oxford for dancing and beer and chips! :o I'm going to be very VERY good! I'm going to take a packed tea and then just see how it goes, I might steal a few chips, but not lots! I really want to be good today! :crossed:

skinnyjeans
11-04-2005, 09:18 AM
Resisted the fresh bagels and cream cheese, and donuts in the office kitchen this morning and ate oatmeal instead.

AnnieFannie
11-04-2005, 10:08 AM
2frustrated Congrats on resisting eating the whole batch of cookies. Mmm.. they sound very good.

skinnyjeans Way to go. That oatmeal was much better for ya then those bagels and cream cheese.

Valerie Joy I think for me, having a little sugar ins't bad because have weaned it out of my system. I have found that I look at it and want it but I don't necessarily need it. I find a little sugar goes a long way. I am sure I am going to be plenty tempted at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

wyllennI think she would understand if she knew why. Then maybe she would stop offering. Let us know how it goes.

penpal
11-04-2005, 12:38 PM
Valerie Joy - I hope you stay strong :strong: for Thanksgiving - that's the next biggie we have to get through! It's even tougher if it's at your house and your family expects all the high calorie stuff. Whether it's Thanksgiving or any day of the week - we're the ones who ultimately decide what we will eat. Maybe you can just have half-portions of your favorites. I hate that overstuffed feeling anyway! You'll be the only one not reaching for the Pepto Bismol! :rofl:

2Frustrated - Good for you not eating ALL the oatmeal cookies! I hope you enjoy your dance in Oxford :hat:. If you have a few chips I won't tell anybody :lol:

skinnyjeans - I would have chosen the oatmeal over the bagels and donuts any day, but I know lots of people like them. I'm sure your body is happier to get the oatmeal! :D

We're having our annual Guy Fawkes party tomorrow night (bonfire & fireworks too). We're supposed to get over and inch of rain tomorrow, so that should be interesting :rain:. November 5th is the 400th anniversary of the Gunpowder Plot to blow up the Houses of Parliament in London. Poor old Guy Fawkes (the leader of the plot) was executed in a rather nasy way that I won't go into here as it will really put you off your food. Anyway, the kids make a life-size "Guy" efigy which we put on the bonfire and burn :flame: - nice, huh? This, of course is accompanied by much drinking and eating :hat:. We're having a potluck, so of course everyone brings their most fattening dishes. Wish me luck to keep from overdoing it! One drink and all my good intentions seem to fly out the window!

Stay the course everybody! :goodluck:

penpal
11-06-2005, 08:16 PM
Well, our Guy Fawkes party is over and I did very well - until I got to the dessert table! :dizzy: Everyone brought their specialties and, after a couple of drinks, my good intentions flew out the window - as predicted! :rolleyes:

I felt very bloated and yuckky this morning from all the rich food - why do I never learn :?:. I was very tempted NOT to record what I'd eaten in my online food diary (ignorance is bliss). I had a good talk to myself :drill: and said, "this is just ONE slip up on ONE meal on ONE day but you'd better shape up soon!". It turned out that I'd eaten about 800 extra calories :o

Of course, I was VERY hungry the next day (I always thought that was so weird, that after a blow-out meal I would be even more hungry the next day) :shrug:. I threw away some left-overs that I know I shouldn't have kept and got back on track. Today we've eaten lightly (salmon and salad) and I'll have cottage cheese and fruit for dinner).

I think that it's very important for me to get back on track as soon as possible after I've over-indulged, otherwise (and this has happened so many times) I can easily slide down the slippery slope of "unconscious" eating.

I'm going to have to get a handle on this before Thanksgiving and the round of Christmas parties, etc. that starts in early December. I think I'll try not to have any alcohol this holiday season as that seems to be key to my loss of control. I don't drink alcohol every day (and even at parties I never have more than 1 or 2 glasses of wine) because the calories are so high, but I have a hard time not drinking at a social event. I feel like I "need" a drink to loosen up at a party (it makes me feel more confident - though I probably come across as hyper :hyper: )

Valerie Joy
11-06-2005, 10:49 PM
I was at a pet adoption show today and everyone ordered out food from McDonalds and I said no thanks. It was painful to watch everyone eating their burgers and fries, especially the fries. I was pratically drooling.

But when they were done eating I was very happy with myself for resisting and waiting till I got home to have a healthy lunch!

chick_in_the_hat
11-07-2005, 12:38 AM
Penny - at least you got right back on the wagon...Parties are hard. I'm with you on the alcohol thing - for me it's easier to just not drink when ther eis a lot of food around.
I don't know if you gals have Trader Joes where you live - but that's where I stock up on Vanilla Velamints. Love the little barb about eating the tin... :lol3:
Valerie & 2Frust & skinnyjeans YAY!!! You resisted the fries & overdoing the oatmeal cookies & the bagels... :carrot:

penpal
11-07-2005, 03:30 PM
Valerie Joy - Congrats on being so strong and avoiding the McDonalds stuff - especially the fries! :mcd: :cp: It's so hard to watch others eating "forbidden'' :devil: foods! I hope some of the animals got adopted.

chick-in-the-hat - Yes, we do have a Trader Joe's - it's my favorite store! They have so much good stuff. I bought one of their hams for our party. It was a big hit with everyone and very reasonably priced. I'll check out the Velamints next time - I'm due for another visit soon. :carrot:

Keep up the good work everybody! :cheer:

penpal
11-08-2005, 04:38 PM
I was at a meeting at a friend's house yesterday to organize our annual Christmas dinner party.

I was salivating about all the good food everyone is going to bring and then she put out a BIG plate of cookies :cookie: for us to have with our tea. My hand was automatically half-way to the plate when I stopped and realized I wasn't really hungry and I didn't need 200, 300 or 400 extra calories! :sumo: :cp:

penpal
11-11-2005, 08:36 PM
I resisted temptation :devil: again today! :carrot:

I was busy all day helping to set up a bazaar and bake sale. Someone was passing around "reject" cookies to the worker bees but I calmly said "no thank you". It was hard to say "no" because I was so tired :tired: and hadn't had my lunch yet and those cookies :cookie: (even broken ones) looked mighty good!

Have you resisted something very tempting lately?

Nicole1883
11-11-2005, 09:28 PM
it's the complete opposite for me this time of year. The summer was the hardest time for me, soo many BBQ's and partys. Not to mention the obsene amount of alcohol I consumed ths summer lol My first summer being somewhat thin, well, thinner than before. Anyways, I had alot of fun lol Now is the time of year where all I can think about is fitting into that new years dress. This will be my second new years after my lifestyle change. Last year I was only a month into the LSC so this is the big one this year. Its also the time where I see realtives I haven't seen in a year, so I want to shock them, so that keeps me going. Also with all the big baggy clothes that comes with this time of year I look forward to peeling them off for spring and showing off all I've acomplished during the winter. More shock value that way lol

penpal
11-12-2005, 06:32 PM
That's a good idea to wear baggy clothes this winter and then "unveil" the new you next spring. :encore:

We're both the same height and I started out at about the same weight. I'm hoping :crossed: to be 189 lbs. by Christmas.

Nicole1883
11-13-2005, 12:26 AM
That's a good idea to wear baggy clothes this winter and then "unveil" the new you next spring. :encore:

We're both the same height and I started out at about the same weight. I'm hoping :crossed: to be 189 lbs. by Christmas.

I must say, it's been quite the journey. I started all this November 2004, so it's been a year now, I've been gaining and loosing the same 10lbs since April now, and I think I've reached my breaking point again. My anniversary came up and I thought I would have been "done" by now, but I'm not even half way there, so I just said enough is enough, and now I'm back on track. Thats why the whole "unveiling" thing appeals to me, because people have lost faith that I'll continue on, so I really want to work hard to prove them wrong. Plus, I just want to get to goal and be healthy and happy. I've come this far, I have to finish, especially now that I've had a little taste of what life is like under 200 lol

penpal
11-14-2005, 05:16 PM
Hi Nicole,

My journey started 2 years ago - this time :rolleyes:. I've only knuckled down and really started watching what I'm eating and finally begun losing steadily in the past 6 months or so.

I know what you mean by a "taste of life under 200". Now that I'm under 200 (barely) I'm getting so impatient to go lower but I've been stuck for a few weeks now. :(

I find it so hard to resist temptation :devil: now that the cooler weather is here and the holiday season is starting in earnest! :hat:

You are an inspiration for me - I WILL be down to the 180's if I keep on track. My 'plateau' will hopefully soon be over! :halffull:

Nicole1883
11-15-2005, 02:24 PM
Hi Nicole,

My journey started 2 years ago - this time :rolleyes:. I've only knuckled down and really started watching what I'm eating and finally begun losing steadily in the past 6 months or so.

I know what you mean by a "taste of life under 200". Now that I'm under 200 (barely) I'm getting so impatient to go lower but I've been stuck for a few weeks now. :(

I find it so hard to resist temptation :devil: now that the cooler weather is here and the holiday season is starting in earnest! :hat:

You are an inspiration for me - I WILL be down to the 180's if I keep on track. My 'plateau' will hopefully soon be over! :halffull:

For me it just came to the point where I had to face the facts. 1. I would never be happy staying where I was. 2. I would never allow myself to live my life fully where I was. 3. I wanted more than this. So that was it, I just had to realize what was important to me, eating a cookie and getting like 2 seconds of pleasure out of it before the guilt came on, or resisting it and feeling in control. Control wins most of the time, well, now it does. The past 6 months have been the hardest. I lost myself for a while. I had lost 50lbs, and thought, well, I already lost this much so one sweet won't hurt. Well, before I could realize what happened, I had gained back 20lbs. So I've been back on track for 2 weeks, and I've lost 8lbs. I just had to have that moment again, the one where I snap back to reality and realize what's important to me, and what I need to acomplish now before I can move on with any aspect of my life. It's hard, very hard, and loosing the weight is one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do, but it will also be one of the most amazing things I've done once I'm finished.

penpal
11-15-2005, 08:50 PM
I had lost 50lbs, and thought, well, I already lost this much so one sweet won't hurt. Well, before I could realize what happened, I had gained back 20lbs. So I've been back on track for 2 weeks, and I've lost 8lbs. I just had to have that moment again, the one where I snap back to reality and realize what's important to me, and what I need to acomplish now before I can move on with any aspect of my life.
You said it! We can get very complacent when we've lost quite a bit of weight and tend to think "well, I've worked very hard and got rid of all this weight, so now I deserve a reward". It's illogical, but I think we all come up against this way of thinking sooner or later.

The key is, as you say, being able to "snap" out of it and face reality before we start to gain back all that weight we've worked so hard to lose - and it sure goes back on in a hurry :(. I'm glad you've managed to get back on track. Keep up the good work! :goodluck:

penpal
11-17-2005, 08:25 PM
Hi Everyone,

:thanks2:
Can you believe it? Thanksgiving's just a week away and I thought I might as well start planning what I'm going to do about all the "eating opportunities" coming up :dizzy:

My plan is to have only one plate of food :hungry: and choose only my very favorites. Also, I'm going to take exactly half the serving size that I usually do of each food. The same thing for dessert - just half a serving of my favorite. Oh, and eat s l o w l y. No gobble, gobble, gobble this year :lol:

I know it's only one day out of the year, but I find if I really stuff myself with food :o I get so hungry the next day, and the next day, and the next day and I'll be scarfing everything in sight all the way to Christmas!

What favorite foods are you going to enjoy (in moderation) this Thanksgiving? Maybe you can also let us know which foods you usually eat that can live without!
:turkey:

EllyMay
11-17-2005, 08:59 PM
Penpal, that sounds like a good plan! I plan on having a taste of all the Thanksgiving dinner foods, but skipping any desserts. I don't really like most of them anyway; just feel like I should eat some so as not to hurt anyone's feelings. If they can't understand that I'm trying to improve my health, too bad for them.

I'm also trying to build up my resistance to all the holiday goodies that will be flooding into the office. Between all the treats my coworkers make, the gifts from clients, the holiday party leftovers... it will be an endless supply of junk for about a month or so. I just have to stay out of it altogether...if I have a little taste I just keep eating it so I'm not even gonna start.

penpal
11-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Hi EllyMay,

I kinda prefer the savory items myself, but I may just have a bite of pumpkin pie - just because it's so traditional - better to have that than pumpkin cheesecake!

Those treats at work are so hard to pass up on! Things we wouldn't eat at any other time of the year start looking mighty good! I agree, it's best not to even start - it's so hard to stop. I'd rather save the calories for a healthier treat later in the day - say a small piece of excellent dark chocolate. I find I have more self-control if I have planned treats.
:happ3:

Grandma Mouse
11-17-2005, 11:29 PM
Dear Penpal; You sound like you were at my weight watcher meeting on Tues.
One plate is a great Idea. I talked my kids into no traditional fruit salad with lots of whip cream and very little fruit also No pea salad this year.That was a hard one we have pea salad at every family function.I'm trying hard to start afew new traditions that don't have anything to do with food. Fun Games after http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/holiday/img/bar0001xmas/slider-xmaself/lb/235.6/215/225/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/holiday/index.php)dinner and maybe a christmas movie.

penpal
11-18-2005, 12:20 AM
Grandma Mouse - I used to make a fruit salad like that - ambrosia - about 90% cream 10% fruit :lol. That's a neat idea - having family games and a Christmas movie! It's nice to have family traditions, the kids will love the games and a movie.

I didn't know WW has a 1 plate plan - they have some good tips for the holidays. I did WW many years ago and I know they are the most successful plan for helping people keep the weight off. I have trouble with diets where I have to count points, etc. Right now I'm just doing old fashioned calorie counting in an on-line food log :comp:.

We're going out to a Thanksgiving buffet :yikes: this year at a really nice restaurant with our family, so I'm gonna need a lot of willpower! Have a great Thanksgiving!
:thanks1:

AnnieFannie
11-18-2005, 12:39 AM
I have been reading all the posts about Thanksgiving and had to chime in. I don't have a clue what I'll be doing. I don't know if I'll be living here in Vermont or I'll be moved to Iowa. If I'm here, there's no threat of sweets because I'll be cooking a roast and having a few veggies and making mashed potatoes for the DH. If I am home in Iowa, I am just going to have to moderate what I eat. I am afraid that I will over do it just for the fact that I haven't had Thanksgiving with my family in 5 years. So I have missed out on so much, but I am going to try to sample a little of everything but just in really small portions. And for dessert.. I am going to try to resist the temptation of having any. Just have to tell myself that it isn't worth the extra calories. Then again after chasing after my daughter(3 1/2), I may burn enough calories to have a piece of something. We'll see how bad it turns out.
Good luck to everyone.

penpal
11-18-2005, 04:17 PM
Hi AnnieFannie,

Yes, it's easier when you make the meal yourself because you have control over what you'll be making. It's a bit harder when you are invited and people want you to try their "special" dish!

It will be nice if you can spend Thanksgiving with your family in Iowa. Good idea to have a little of everything and then run around a bit with your daughter so you'll burn off a few cals for dessert :lol:

Have a happy Thanksgiving!
:turkey:

penpal
11-25-2005, 02:37 PM
How did you do for Thanksgiving?

I managed to avoid totally pigging :ink: out and 'only' had an extra 300-400 calories for the day. We went out to a German restaurant "Gustav's". The food was excellent. I had rotisserie turkey with apple/walnut dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce and candied yams. I ate half of what was on my plate and palmed the rest off on my husband and son, who were only too happy to oblige! Eating half worked out well because I wasn't over-stuffed and even shared half a dessert - a fantastic apple strudel with eggnog sauce :T!

Luckily, I don't have any leftovers to deal with this year. Of course, I woke up hungry this morning (don't usually feel hungry in the a.m.) maybe because of all that rich food yesterday. I'll have to be a bit careful because our son is home from college and I've got lots of "no-no" foods in for him!

Hope you are succeeding on getting back on track after the big day. :goodluck: