Dieting with Obstacles - Dieting with Diabetes#6

Pages : [1] 2

View Full Version : Dieting with Diabetes#6

paperdoll
10-31-2005, 07:20 PM
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!! i see we need a new thread.hi everyone. i am o.k. just not motivated. pat

hefty1
11-01-2005, 10:05 AM
good morning paperdoll. alls well here sugars are good. :) :wave:

BBWonwheels
11-02-2005, 02:53 AM
hi there. im doing good. how was evrybody halloween?

akrosey49
11-02-2005, 02:20 PM
Hi everyone.. just curious but why do we need a new thread?? is there a rule for number of posts?? wont people get confused when a new one is started?? its cold and sunny here today.. and we have snow :( ((((((((hugs)))))))) rosey:wave:

Mazarin
11-03-2005, 11:54 AM
Hello everyone! :)

sapphire9
11-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Hi, all. I'm doing well. Not losing weight fast enough to suit me, but I'm losing. :) Rosey, it doesn't matter how long the threads are. Some threads are more active and they start new ones more often, but this thread is so slow it doesn't matter. I guess Pat doesn't like them long. Anyway, we can still find the latest thread so I don't think we'll get lost.

BBWonwheels
11-06-2005, 10:28 PM
is it alright to eat brococili and cheese w/o the fatty stuff and with low fat cheese?

hefty1
11-07-2005, 05:03 PM
bb yes glen :)

sapphire9
11-07-2005, 06:40 PM
Hi, all. Where's everybody? BB- low fat cheese still has a lot of calories. You might want to just steam the broccoli and sprinkle a little grated parmesan on it for flavor. Reduces the fat and calories. Or maybe just put some I Can't believe it's not butter on it.

Well, folks, I have finally seen a British royal. Waited 31/2 hours yesterday to catch a glimpse of Charles & Camilla when they were in town. (Hope all that waiting burned a few calories). :lol:

Mazarin
11-08-2005, 09:44 AM
Someone can send me some snow!

hefty1
11-09-2005, 09:34 AM
are feeling ok? why do want snow? my sugars are down. do you have snow yet rosey? if you do send it too mazarin. :lol: :) glen

oldwriter
11-10-2005, 08:24 AM
I have lost 4 lbs . I am keeping this short as my sister passed away tues after a 3 yr battle with ovarion cancer. She is celebrating in heven with those that have gone ahead of us.
I am trying to keep a close watch on my health-she might come down and kick my behind if I don't. She was like a little hovering hen to me. Take care and I'll be back later on. Love you all.

hefty1
11-10-2005, 10:20 AM
carol sorry to hear about your sister. glen

akrosey49
11-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Hi everyone.. carol im so sorry for your loss am sending you a big (((((hug)))..things have been a bit topsy turvy here too..our neighbor and friend passed away from cancer too.. weve been friends for 30 yrs..so sad but hes not in pain anymore.. my dh and i have been helping the family and esp his widow..they been married 60 yrs have 8 kids 34 grkids and 15 and1/2 ggrkids..its cold here. has been below zero and snowing.. i stepped on a slpinter and injured my foot so ive been hobbling around.. we are told to be carful of our feet being a diebetic i went to the dr.. its better today tho.. other than that making plans for thanksgiving and xmas.. we have the biggest house so we have every one over..i love the holidays but this yr i refuse to bake..my sugars have come down into the 140's and lower and i dont want to mess that up again..((((((((((hugs))))))))))))for all rosey:wave:

InLuvWithD
11-11-2005, 09:56 AM
hi everyone I am new here and I too have diabetes.. I am not proud to say this but I am NOT taking care of it like I should...which is sad because my Aunt just died this past summer from it and I know how serious it is I just don't do anything about it. Half the time I forget to take my meds, I never test my sugar...I don't know why it won't sink in my head..so I am hoping my joining a weight group not only will it help me lose weight maybe it will knock some sense into my head!!!!

LaDean
11-11-2005, 03:02 PM
Hi i found out to i am a debetic. no medication or shots yet. but i am to get with a eating plan for it. so trying. any ideas out there of what you eat and all. i love sharing as it helps me alot. i just need to be more serious with it.. have a good day to all. LaDean

hefty1
11-13-2005, 11:46 PM
when american gobble day? how is everyone
glen :)

oldwriter
11-14-2005, 07:51 AM
Nov 24th, Glen.
Doing ok-numbers in the 100's. Been doing a little nerve eating but if I keep busier, I'll stay out of the kitchen.
We have a family :grouphug: reunion dinner on Thanksgiving. :hungry: Will only have to take one thing, so I'[ll not have so much to tempt me afterwards. If there are a lot of things I want to eat, I take a spoonful of each so I have a taste. Then if I want more I go for my favorite-usually the turkey meat.
They say that Dolly Parton lost her weight by ordering every thing she wanted on the menu and having only a bite or two (I can't afford to do that) but, she said after one or two bites, her craving for that food was satified. It works too. Especially with those tempting desserts that you'll find taste way too sweet.
Thank you all for you kind sympathies. I remember the beautiful smile my sister gave me went I went back home after being with her 3 weeks.
Love to you all. :thanks:

Mazarin
11-14-2005, 10:31 PM
I hope everyone enjoys Thanksgiving! :)

vanilla_sky_ak
11-17-2005, 02:19 PM
Hello everyone! I am a newbe and am hoping to latch on to this forum strand.I am a type 1 diabetic who is aspireing to lose weigt. I have been workin on losing weight for over a year with very slow progress and just recently had a moment of insanity :dizzy: (you know those diet pill adds, well I caved and bought some) big mistake!!! I just stopped taking them ( I became violently ill and my glucose levels where off the charts) and am back to plugging away by diet and exercise. Being the only fat chic in the family I have no support at home and am hoping to make some friends that can incourage me on my way to a healthy weight. :carrot:

akrosey49
11-17-2005, 05:11 PM
Hi everyone..sorry i have been recuperating and havent posted.. im on the mend now..apparently i stepped on something and got an infection in my left heel.. boy did it hurt.. i had to have it lanced cleaned and on heavy anti biotics..todays the first day ive been up and hobbling around.. we need to be careful with our feet.. it really is important so dont go bearfoot.. ever !!!....even for a quick trip to the brm like i did..hope every one is gearing up for the holidays.. i am.. my favorite time of year.. welcome vanilla sky.. im rosey from alaska and we are all here to support each other and share info..((((((hugs)))))))) for all rosey:wave:

SEARCHING4ME
11-17-2005, 09:52 PM
:^: I'm hoping that you all will allow me to say hello!

I myself am not diabetic, but my DH is. Right now He is being totally non-compliant. :(

This time last year we were both doing South beach and boy, it was great for him, in a little over a week he had dropped 50 points and another two weeks he was absolutely in the perfect range!!! Really, his numbers were great! He had started almost always being over 200, often almost 300! Everyday!

Sometimes I have questions, and over these past few years since he was diagnosed, he has ignored, denied and put off dealing with the whole thing. I don't get to go to his appointments or ask anything.

The question I want to ask is one I've had for awhile. I had heard that bad breath, (seriously bad!!) can be a sign symtom of diabetes. Has anyone had this issue? Is there anything that helps? My hubby can brush his teeth and within 10 minutes I can't believe how awful it smells.
I did buy a new special electic toothbrush, (my dentist suggested) It made a small difference but not much.

I have tried to re-approach the topic, And in true form, he won't discuss it with me.

It drives me crazy!!! In the whole of our marriage, we have always talked about everything, our friends and family always commented about how great we are together in that way. I am at a loss. :shrug:

Thanks

cactusmom
11-18-2005, 10:20 AM
Good Morning everyone!

Can I join you all? I was just diagnosed with diabetes about 1 1/2 months ago. I know I have been diabetic longer than that though. I just felt lousy. Since I had gestational diabetes 9 years ago I was pretty sure that was the path I was heading down now. I lost about 25 pounds before being diagnosed just because of not feeling well. I have now lost another 21 pounds since the diagnosis. I am taking glipizide ER every morning, trying to take a walk every day and be more active, and eating healthy and keeping my calories at 1800-2000 per day. I am happy, I am feeling successfull, I am DETERMINED! It all boils down to detemination. This is something you have to fell deep down in your soul. Good health needs to be our goal.

evilyn - you need to sit your hubby down and have a talk. Tell him how much you love him and don't want to lose him. He still needs to make the change and commitment himself though. It all boils down to him deciding it is time to make a change.

hefty1
11-18-2005, 12:22 PM
:wave: welcome to the newbies. rosey glad to hear you are better. evelyn ask us the quetions and maybe we can help you. if your hubby doesn't do what he's suppose to do he could go into diabetic shock. :) glen

hefty1
11-18-2005, 12:22 PM
:wave: welcome to the newbies. rosey glad to hear you are better. evelyn ask us the quetions and maybe we can help you. if your hubby doesn't do what he's suppose to do he could go into diabetic shock. :) glen

paperdoll
11-18-2005, 05:16 PM
welcome yo the new gals. Rosey i am glad to hear you are better. that is a good warning about feet. i love barefoot and forget to be careful.think i am finally back on track. it hasbeen good to hear everyone elses progress it really helps me even when i don't do any writing. thanks all. pat

vanilla_sky_ak
11-19-2005, 02:06 AM
Thank you all for the welcome! I now I'm extremely newbut I already feel like its helped. Thank you Rosey, you love in AK too, that great. Interesting whether we're having.
Evilyn, I get the rancid breath every time I have ketones(from high or low blod sugar and sometime when I forget to eat). I always know when something wrong by the bad breath. I know it can be scary having a loved one going through this, I myself put my family through a time. I got diabetes at 11 and went through an extened denial and am just now really getting it under control. Well I'm off to take my evening walk. :ebike:
vanilla_sky_ak

Mazarin
11-19-2005, 03:31 PM
Well I have due to have my TYPE 2 looked at this month, I need to go get a blood test sometime this week..

akrosey49
11-19-2005, 05:17 PM
Hi everyone.. rain last night then snow :?: glad im staying home today..vanilla sky where in alaska are you? im in Nikiski.. small world huh ;) hope you are all having a good weekend.. im decluttering today..getting ready for the holidays.. with my foot sore the last week things got undone :( my dh helping tho..(((( :hug: )))) for all rosey:wave:

healthyme05
11-21-2005, 12:10 AM
:cofdate: Hi everyone! It's my first time looking over at this board. I have Type I diabetes and have had it since I was about...maybe 7 or 8 years old. However old you are in first grade...it's been a long time. I'm 22 now.
I'm posting here because I saw one person who said she struggled with anorexia and bulemia (sp?) as a diabetic. How is that possible? That is really interesting to me because I always wondered if people could be both diabetic and anorexic or bulemic. I didn't know it would be real. Well, good luck to everyone on losing weight. I'll check into this thread later on. I post everywhere and have a hard time keeping up with all of the boards!
You guys (girls?) are wonderful!

Mazarin
11-21-2005, 03:29 AM
Welcome to the board!!!

vanilla_sky_ak
11-22-2005, 02:14 AM
Good news, had my diabetes check up. :D My check up was 6.9 the best its ever been. Not only that but I get to lower my insalin even more (my sugars go low every day). Bad news is I have not lost even 15 lb. since my last viset :( , but I have dropped dress sizes. Rosey: I in Anchorage, It rained here too, so cold but I still did my jogging (cough, cough, sneeze) and still going tonight. IT seems to be going so slow. I've only lost 45 lb in a year and a half. :mad: But at least my dr. visit was good.

akrosey49
11-22-2005, 02:04 PM
Morning everyone..ive been up early doing housework getting ready for the big turkey day and 20 guests..i do some work and then rest my foot for awhile.. its healing slowly but gosh is it sore..dont go bear foot ever!!!!..vanilla sky that is an awsome weight loss..you should be proud of that and great sugar levels..happy thanks giving everyone(((( :hug: ))))))))))) rosey:wave:

Mazarin
11-23-2005, 10:06 AM
Hope you have a good day!

hefty1
11-25-2005, 09:45 AM
wwhere is everyone. are you all under a big snow bank. i lost 2 lbs this week and sugars are up and down. :carrrot: glen

hefty1
11-27-2005, 09:52 AM
that snow bank must be realy big in california, because rose hasn't been here for a while. snowball1: :snowfight: :snow4:
glen

akrosey49
11-27-2005, 02:35 PM
Morning everyone.. hope you all had a great hoilday..i had such fun with my family..we did so much besides the big turkey day..my grkids kept me busy.. we did decorated gingerbread houses.. decorated gramas house..went to the parade of lights in town and the firewworks display.. saw the harry potter movie..and now my house is a delightful jambles.. and not a crumb left and the refrig is bare but we had fun.. everyones leaving today but will be back in 3 weeks for x-mas..i did pretty well with the eating.. i allowed myself to eat what ever i wanted thanksgiving day and my sugars showed it the next morning(172 :( ) but by evening where back to 116 so i was proud of myself for that..im not snowed in tho:dizzy: just been busy..can hardly wait for x-mas.. i guess im just a kid at heart((((((((((:hug: )))))))) rosey:wave:

vanilla_sky_ak
11-28-2005, 06:17 PM
Not quite stuck under any snow banks yet, just walking through them. I about froze last night, I went on my nightly walk and am still cold from it. there might be something to walking in the cold now, I have finally made the 199 lb. mark:carrot: . I was shocked to find out I had actually lost weight during thanksgiving. My blood sugars are paying a terrable price though. My docter and I are trying to change my insulin so that I don't bottem out at 40 every day so now they bounce between 300 and 40 all in one day. It makes my tummy un easy. I think it happens cuz I forget to eat a lot.

BBWonwheels
11-28-2005, 11:58 PM
how many time can you eat fish if you are a diabetic and how much can you eat and still lose weight?

nosugarmomma
11-30-2005, 07:10 PM
:( Hello How is everyone these days. Well I am o.k wanted to check in and let ya ll know I found a job but the month I was off has caused major problems. But I can handle it I think. Just wanted to let ya know I am o.k Will try to post later again. Love ya all :snow4:

P.S Gained back about 30 lbs. and working on getting it back off. My sugar has been really wacky too. I am about to be out of meds and can not aford more dont know what to do. I guess pray god will take care of me right?:gift2:

akrosey49
12-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Hi everyone.. its freezing cold here and has been for several days.. im hybernating:lol3: have been working on several xmas projects..am feeling pretty good today.. my foot is so much better..and the sugars are holdin steady..have a check up after xmas and hopefully the dr will be pleased.. my clothes are looser.. actually was told they were baggy:) thats a good thing and my rings are loose on my finger so i must be loosing but i avoid the scale so dont know for sure.. so whats every one up too?? rosetta havent heard from you lately are u ok?? glad to see your back nosugar..sorry youve had a ruff time of it..heres a big (((((:hug: )))))) for all of you rosey:wave:

BBWonwheels
12-03-2005, 01:35 AM
well me, im doing good trying to avoid the scale to....lol but my clothes is getting bigger tho. ill go to the dr after xmas and new yrs so wish me luck.

vanilla_sky_ak
12-07-2005, 06:20 PM
Good afternoon, thought I'd post a little as I force my self to break from the books for a few. I'm struggling to get all my papers in before the end of the semester. Everything else has fallen from my priorety list untill Next Thurs. (my last day of class). I'm a little peived though, my sugars seem to be so high, I'm not over eating, infact I don't have time to eat so my calorie intake is like 500-1000 a day so I don't quite understand why there so high. Does anyone else ever get high high blood sugars even when there not taking in carbs to elevate them?

Catch ya later vanilla_sky_ak

BBWonwheels
12-09-2005, 09:50 PM
I would like to know can i eat cheese cake?

BBWonwheels
12-09-2005, 09:50 PM
I would like to know can i eat cheese cake?

hefty1
12-10-2005, 10:20 AM
try a small piece and see how your sugars react. :) glen

akrosey49
12-10-2005, 02:45 PM
Morning everyone..its raining here again today..makes everything outside like a skating rink:?: ..ive been busy with xmas projects..my grdd and i are going to make cookies this evening but im using splenda.. i vowed i wouldnt bake as thats what got me off track last yr..but its not xmas without a few cookies so will try the nosugar ones..besides its the experience being with my gr dd thats the fun part..:candy: :rudolph: :clause: :candy: i finally stepped on the scale..i was so surprized.. i felt like i had lost some as my clothes where loose and my dd comented that my pants looked baggy:D i hate the scale and avoid it but surprize ive lost 21#..and my sugars have been great.. my dr will be so happy..hope this finds you all well.. and yes you can have some cheesecake.. just not every day and the whole thing..i give myself permission to eat what ever i want on thanksgiving day and xmas day..(within reason of course) and then go back to being careful..hello to all and (((:hug: )))) rosetta have not heard from you in awhile are you ok?? rosey :wave:

vanilla_sky_ak
12-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Hello everyone,
I only have one week of finals left:eek: then I'm off for a month. No weight loss yet. Things have been too crazy so far. I've decided to give that -3 small meal and 3 small snacks a day plan- a try. We'll see if it works. At least my Dr. Will be happy, he's been trying to get me to eat that way just for my blood sugar control.:spin:
vanilla_sky_ak

vanilla_sky_ak
12-10-2005, 04:03 PM
Rosey,
Thats great! 21 is a lot!

paperdoll
12-10-2005, 06:16 PM
way to go Rosey!!!!!! pat

hefty1
12-11-2005, 09:14 AM
wtg rosey :dance: where is rosetta? my are okay.
:) glen

akrosey49
12-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Hi everyone.. thankyou so much for all the atta girls..its means alot.. i didnt do anything special to loose.. so it was a surprize for me... a nice one..well the grdd and i made cookies last nite.. the kind that you shoot from a cookie press..i had sugar and sprinkles every where but we sure had fun.. hope you are all having a great weekend(((((:hug: )))) rosey :wave:

Mazarin
12-12-2005, 09:16 AM
Well I finally started Metformin 3 days ago at 500mg for two weeks then upping to 1000mg until I get to 1500mg.... no side effects so far...

I knew the diet control was not working for my type 2, my god I tried to hard... but here's hoping Met does the trick!

BBWonwheels
12-13-2005, 02:44 PM
well i step on my scale for the first time in 3 months and i was suprized with all the less food i eat and exercise 3 times a day my weight went from 196 to 230 but my clothes i use to wear at my highest weight at 255 is more loosen now. i dont understand it. i eat 3 meals a day, i watched my calories and fat intake. im handicap so my family gotta hold me up on the scale. i dont know wat to do. should i eat 2 times a day or wat? Help! :?: :mad: :shrug:

vanilla_sky_ak
12-13-2005, 03:12 PM
BBWonwheels- that sounds so fustrating. I went through some of that, I was eating my meals but they where too far apart. My dietition told me the if you wait too long inbetwean meals your body thinks it's starving and will store fat and prepaire for famine. YIKES, I'm afraid to not eat often enough. right now I'm trying that George Cruise plan, all it really is, is eating 400 calorie meals and 100 calorie snacks and timing them every three hours-never going past four hours (thats when a persons body goes into "starvation" mode") Hope this helps.

BBWonwheels
12-13-2005, 09:03 PM
ok tyvm that do help

sapphire9
12-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Hi, all. Thanks for your concern Rosey & Glen. I've been reading but not posting. Been very busy at work lately. Rosey - how's that foot. I watch my feet very carefully. Even had the landlord remove the shower doors from my bathroom because I kept cutting my foot on the tracks. (Also makes the bathroom much easier to clean.:D ). Congratulations on the weight loss. That's wonderful! :carrot: You've really made some lifestyle changes.
BB - sorry that you're having trouble with weight loss. Since someone has to hold you on the scale, there might be a possibility that the scale isn't accurate? Also you might double check your calories. There are calorie calculators on WebMD and Fitday sites that might help.
Mazarin - how's the metformin going? I recently increased mine to 1500 mg a day. It's brought my a.m. sugars down from 150s to 140s. Still too high though.

hefty1
12-14-2005, 08:46 PM
:wave: welcome back rose. bb try eating more. tonight i went an italian bufet for supper . :yikes: i don't wnt test my sugars. :) glen

emerald dragonfly
12-15-2005, 10:44 PM
I'm on Metformin..same dosage also. When I started on my meds, in 2 weeks, I lost 14 pounds!!! I ate right, drank my daily intake of water, exercised 30 minutes everyday.

I wish you well! My doctor says when I lose at least 35 pounds, there's a good chance I will be able to get of my meds!! Not holding my breath though. I know I'll lose the weight, but I heard of people who lost ALL their weight and are still on their meds.

emerald dragonfly

KimmyKat63
12-19-2005, 01:24 AM
Hi everyone. I thought I'd jump in an introduce myself. My name is Kim, I am 42, T2 diabetic (10/03) and live near Salt Lake City Utah. I have been through all the ranges of emotions in regards to the diabetes. At first shock, then anger, depression, denial, all that. Mainly frustration I'd say. :stress: I have no insurance and can't really afford meds even though I've got RX for metformin and glyburide. I've tried diet and exercise (ok, I'll admit, not too dedicated) and have participated in two research studies. My glucose averages around 250, A1C 8. I am hoping to get some minimal insurance for poor people the first of the year so I can go to the Dr regularly. I think I'll be signing up for another research study too, they've got one for an inhalable insulin (does not make you dependent on insulin) which sounds interesting. Or, the hypertension study. Most of you probably know about high blood pressure too huh :p

Anyway, tomorrow is another day and I'm starting my Calorie Queen "plan" (using WW Points to make it a bit easier) and walking 20 minutes. No excuses.

Just a suggestion. How about a new thread each month? We could start in January. I find myself wanting to reply to posts that are a couple months old and not relevant anymore.

sapphire9
12-19-2005, 03:54 PM
Emerald and Kim, welcome to the thread.
Emerald - I have lost weight in the past and gotten off the meds. Right now I'm losing weight and on reduced meds. Everyone reacts differently. Keep up with your program.
Kim - I'm sorry you can't afford the meds even though they are generic. Hopefully your blood sugar will go down if you maintain a good diet and exercise. As for the monthly thread, that would be okay. This thread isn't as active as others which is why it doesn't change as often.

akrosey49
12-20-2005, 06:35 PM
Hi everyone.. just popped in to wish each and everyone a merry xmas and happy new year..im all set and the grkids are coming tonite.. i can hardly wait..(((((((((:hug: ))))))))):santa: :rudolph: :clause: :newyear: :candy: :snowfight :snowglo: :present: :tree: :coolsnow: :santa: rosey :wave:

hefty1
12-21-2005, 10:06 AM
happy holidays. try to stay away from the sugary things. remember how hard it's to take it off. we will fill better not stuffing are bodies. i've got to get back on the wagon. :) glen

emerald dragonfly
12-24-2005, 08:19 PM
Remeber to drink 1 8oz. glass of water before you eat your Christmas dinner. This helps the hunger pains...well, with me it does. And it also keeps me from eating too much.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

emerald dragonfly

akrosey49
12-26-2005, 07:05 PM
Hi everyone.. we had the best xmas ever and hope you all did too..i ate what i wanted and my sugars were 172 this am:?: but considering what i had im not surprized..hope you all have a safe healthy new year((((((((:hug: )))))) rosey :wave:

emerald dragonfly
12-26-2005, 10:39 PM
Rosey,
My gluclose levels were 147 this morning... which is pretty good for me since I did have sugary things yesterday...1 slice of pumpkin pie!!! ;) I do have my sugars under control, with meds, but every once in awhile, it does sneak up on me. :( This week is my "Zero sugar" week. Even eating no sandwhiches this week...will stick to lots of fruit & veggies!! I'll see within a week if they get back to the 90's. I'm sure they will :D

Hope everyone had a great Christmas day!!!

emerald dragonfly

Mazarin
12-28-2005, 03:58 AM
Good Luck everyone!

akrosey49
12-28-2005, 04:17 PM
Hi everyone..just a quick question as im still feeling puny..when you are sick with the flu, like i have been ,do your s-levels elevate? ive had fever and chills and achy body for 2 days now but my s-levels where higher than when i was diagnosed:?: they where over 200 and thats so unusual for me..hope i feel better soon this is the pits..rosey

sapphire9
12-29-2005, 03:19 PM
Yuck, Rosey. Sorry you're sick. Yes, s-levels do rise when you're sick. Maybe you should call your doctor and ask if you should increase your meds while you're sick. I hope you get better fast. Happy New Year!:newyear:

akrosey49
12-29-2005, 07:18 PM
Hi everyone.. thankyou rosetta for answering me and yes im better today..i had to go for my 6 months fasting blood test and the lab tech said the same thing..hope these last few really high s-levels dont mess my test to bad:?: as i have worked really hard to get the s-levels where my dr wanted me to be..i hated to even get out today but needed that test done..im better just tired and feel washed out..my dh is taking good care of me..hope every one had agreat xmas and the best for all in the new year:cheers: :newyear: :cheers: (((((((((((:hug: ))))))))))))))) rosey :wave:

emerald dragonfly
12-29-2005, 10:03 PM
I have been sick for 4 days now and my gluclose is higher than usual. Just watch what you eat, drink lots of water and get some rest. I did exercises today, which I shouldn't had but it did make me feel a little better.

take care!

emerald dragonfly

Ruthxxx
12-31-2005, 01:52 PM
I've been running a bit high in the A.M. too! I know a few "treats" have snuck in but it's also stress-related. Things should settle down next week.

akrosey49
12-31-2005, 03:01 PM
Hi everyone and happy new year..i am feeling much better..the dr office called with my test results.. and she was really pleased..my ac1 was 7.4 from 8.6 , 6 months ago and my collesteral was 154 imagine that:carrot: she said i was headed in the right direction..however ever since i had the flu my sl have been high..down to 172 this am i asked her about it and she said to watch what i was doing and we'll talk about it at my apptment on the 3rd..i think with higher levels im more tired than usual.. does that happen to any of you??anyways im getting out and about today..going to play bingo this afternoon..hope you all have agreat new yr and thanks everyone for all the support this past year..((((((:hug: )))) rosey :wave:

gmalil
12-31-2005, 05:50 PM
Hi girls. Hope there is room for me. :)
I've been type 2 for 2 years now, been on Metfomin and avandia. I didn't think I was having side effects, except i couldn't lose weight, no mattter how hard I tried!..and now I find out that avandia causes weight gain!
2 weeks ago my doctor started me on Byetta, and cut the other meds in half.
so far I have lost 5 pounds! it is a new drug, so kind of pricey, I am so glad my insurance pays most of it!
About me: I am retired and live in Idaho with my DH and spoiled dog. I have 100 pounds to lose. I have tried for years! I hope this new drug will be the kick in the pants that I need! I also go to Curves as often as possible, and ride my exercise bike , I'm up to 2 miles on it in 10 minutes want to double that time..
I'm looking forward to knowing each of you better.
happy new year!
We are having dinner with in-laws then coming back to watch a movie.
ttfn
Lil

akrosey49
01-01-2006, 12:13 AM
Hi Lil and welcome..im rosey from alaska and diabetic for 5 yrs and i struggle with weight and exercise too..im married have 2 daughters and 4 grkids.. and 2 dogs.. we are retired..tonite its movies at home.. the dh is having a beer..and im here on the "puter" i can remember crazy new years eves when i was younger but now im happy here at home..anyways we all try and help each other so welcome.. that new med sounds interesting.. i take glucophage..hope to talk again..rosey :wave:

gmalil
01-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks Rosey, for the welcome.
The new drug means 2 injections daily, my belly is big enough to take them, :dizzy: the needle is not as big as the one to test my blood, so is no problem.My numbers are great today, a 111 fasting then a 130 after lunch!
We've never been to Alaska, but are taking a cruise there in July for our 50th anniv., then my dh is going fishing up there in August with our ds.
ttfn
LIL

akrosey49
01-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Hi everyone.. so where are all of you??? its getting pretty quiet in here..i had my big dr appt yesterday and my dr was very pleased..she prescibed another pill call glybazide(not sure of spelling:( )at any rate im good to go for another 3 months so how is everyone else??(((((((((:hug: ))))))))))) rosey:wave:

akrosey49
01-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Hi everyone..so did you all go on vacation?? or fall off the earth??;) its lonely in here all by myself..the new medicines working great..sl down to 114 this am..hope to see a few of you responding..we all need support..at least i do..((((((((((:hug: )))))))))))) rosey:wave:

sapphire9
01-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Hi Rosey. I've been around but somewhat bummed out by the January blahs and the difficulty I'm having getting back on my medical fast after the holidays. I was taking glyzerberide (or however you spell it) before I started the fast along with Glucophage and Actos. Now I'm only taking Glucophage. I was doing somewhat okay until I went off the fast and now my bs's are in the 170s-80s in the a.m. Not good. Sounds like you're doing fine.
Lil - welcome to the thread. That new drug you're taking sounds great. I'll have to research it. Any side effects?

akrosey49
01-09-2006, 08:33 PM
Oh my gosh..rosetta..im so happy:carrot: to see another post besides mine..sorry you have the blahs..i get that way to after the holidays..so try and start a project to keep me busy..after xmas my sl got high esp after i had the flu..theyre just now coming down..anyways glad to here from you and (((((((((hugs))))))) for you..rosey:wave:

BBWonwheels
01-09-2006, 11:26 PM
I went the doctor's friday and he said my sugar was 118 being boaderline high and my thyroids was 113 being boaderline low so im on a new diet that mean no sugar, no starch (at all) and no fat, so i being eating nothing but salad, apples, yogurt and cereal. is kellogg's fruit harvest cereal good for diabetics? im eating special k now.

gmalil
01-10-2006, 05:11 PM
BBWon wheels... I think you have to be careful about how many carbs are in that Fruit Harvest cereal, I haven't checked it...but that is one precaution that my educator told me about. (counting the fruit in cereals)

Rosetta., thanks for the welcome....this new drug can have some awful side effects, so far I have been real lucky, almost none!. Some experience nausea, headaches, diarhea, constipation chills 'you name it'! Tomorrow I see my doctor and she will probably double my dose, which is the usual program....so we will see how that goes. I'm a little nervous about it, I want to get it all worked out, as we are going on a cruise in Feb, and don't want any surprises due to medication!:eek:
:wave:

gmalil
01-12-2006, 12:16 PM
The doctor was thrilled with my results of being on this new med for the first month, lost 4 pounds, no bad side effects, and a lower blood pressure, and lower BS #'s!
I start the increased dose tomorow, so we will see how that goes! "mind over matter!" it will be great!!:carrot:
:wave:
Lil

Rejoyceing
01-13-2006, 02:38 PM
Hello to everyone. I'm new to 3FC. I'm loving all I'm finding though.

I'm Joyce, married to my soul mate for 29 years. We have two grown children, a brand new granddaughter (almost 6 weeks old) and another grandbaby coming in July.

I was diagnosed with diabetes 4 years ago. I'm on Glyburide, Glucophage and Actos. My goal is to lose this weight so I can reduce my meds.

I would love to get to know you all as we journey along.

sapphire9
01-13-2006, 07:52 PM
Joyce - welcome to the thread. I was on the same combo of meds and they did a good job of getting my bs down. I began a medically supervised fast in August and was taken off Actos and Glyberide. My bs weren't quite as low as before but my A1c was terrific. Unfortunately, I have been cheating lately on the fast and my bs is up.:( I'll probably get back on Actos. That really did the trick. If we diet and exercise, we can beat this nasty disease.
Lil - that med is certainly worth looking into. Congrats on the 4 lbs!
Rosey, Glen and all the others. How are ya?

akrosey49
01-13-2006, 09:59 PM
Hi everyone.. whooooohooooooooo theres people to talk too :carrot: our little group has been real quiet lately..lil am so happy for you that your dr was pleased its such agood feeling when we work hard and get results..awsome..:cp: and welcome joyce im rosey from alaska..rosetta am happy to see you post..im so excited my slevels where 109 this am.. now thats a first..did anyone else have loss of appetite taking glybizide?? its sure got me in the right numbers but im just not hungry.. unusual for me..we have had our Mt Augustene blow several times in the last few days its 45 miles from us but lucky the winds going the other way and we havent had any ash yet..always exciting to live here:flow2: on another note my foot that i thought was healed has resplit and boy is it sore..the dr said it could take time to heal:?: im hobbling around tho not much keeps me down just moving slower if thats possible:dizzy: .. well have agreat evening everyone(((((((((((((:hug: )))))))) rosey :wave:

hefty1
01-14-2006, 08:28 AM
hi everyone i'm still around. bs (not bull sh*t) :lol: are up and down.

nosugarmomma
01-14-2006, 03:52 PM
Just wanted to say hello. I have been out of pocket for awaile. I am having to use my mom's computer so I don't get here very often. I lost 3.2 lbs. last week I am going for 5 this week. I started back a WW and I am really working hard to make it happen this time. I miss geting on here every day and poosting and chatting with ya'all. My new job is great I work at the local school in the lunch room thought it would be hard cause of all the FOOD but we portion everything out so it's o.k. God bless ya' all and keep ya'all safe.........:comp::newyear:

Rejoyceing
01-14-2006, 07:12 PM
:ebike: Thanks so much for the welcome Rosey and Rosettastone, it looks like a really great group of people.

Rosey, my sister lived in WA when Mt St Helens blew - she had ash everywhere for a while. Hope the ash doesn't come your way. I'm sorry to hear about your foot - please take care of it.

Rosettastone, the meds worked ok for me for a while but I must confess that I don't always eat the way I should. I do ok for a while and then I just lose control. I'm hoping being here with all of you helps me regain control again. I heard a dr. say once that anyone can out eat medications, that's certainly true in my case.

Glen hang in there with those #'s they can be really frustrating sometimes.

And nosugarmomma congrats on the 3.2 and I can't wait to hear about your 5 lbs next week. You go girl!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

nosugarmomma
01-16-2006, 02:39 PM
Just a note to tell ya 'all that I kinda backslided today I drank a coke and I kenw I should not have but I did anyway. My sugar was real low today and I needed something to bring it back up. I will do better tommorow. :nono: So ya'aal have a nice day. :carrot:

hefty1
01-17-2006, 02:12 PM
scones
1 3/4 cups flour 1/4 cup margarine
1/4 cups splenda 1/4 cup raisins
1 tbsp baking powder 3/4 cup 1% milk
1/2 tsp salt surface coating
1/4 tsp each nutmeg 1 egg white lightly beaten
cinamon 1 tbsp splenda

combine flour, sugar,baking powder,salt and spices. cut in margarine until mixture becomes crumbly. stir in raisins. add milk, mix just until moist. turn out onto a floured surface and knead 6 or 8 times. roll out to 8 inch circle. with a floured knnife cut 8 inch wedges, or roll intil circles. place on greases baking sheet. brush with egg white and sprinkle with splenda. bake at 425 for 12 - 15 mintes or until golden brown. :cheers: :hun: enjoy glen

akrosey49
01-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Hi everyone:coffee2: well hope this finds you all well.. mr ken thankyou for the scone recipe.. sounds yummy and i will try it..my foot is better.. and im doing the house work i should have done last week:( gosh i hate house work.. if i was rich id have a cleaning lady..i can dream cant i;) ..why is it when men retire theyre " retired " and a womens work keeps going on and on..can you tell i hate house work..other than that im feeling fine.. slevels are awsome and a side affect of the new med is my appetite has gone.. have any of you had that taking glybizide??no sugar its ok to have a soda if you need the sugar..just dont be so hard on yourself..guilt is self defeating.. ..Mt augistine blew again yesterday.. so far we havent had any ash..i here some giant dust bunnies calling catch me if you can.. better get back at it..have agreat day everyone((((((((((:hug: ))))))))) rosey :wave:

sapphire9
01-18-2006, 03:00 PM
Hi all. My blood sugar is still high in the mornings because I'm cheating on my fast. Have to see the endo next month and I'm sure he'll put me back on Actos. Sigh. Despite my cheating I'm still losing a couple of lbs a week. Go figure.
Rosey -- I'm sorry about your foot. Be very careful and do whatever you need to make it heal. I know what you mean about housework. I live in a studio apartment but it's on what amounts to a cross-town highway which kicks up a lot of dust. I don't even try to keep up. Life is short.
Nosugar: Glad to hear from you. Congratulations on the weight loss. Keep up the good work. I can't image school cafeteria food will be too tempting/:)
Joyce, I'm having the same problem staying on program and keeping my blood sugar under control. However, I am exercising some now. I walk on my lunch hour instead of sitting around reading. It helps. Are you exercising?
Glen, scone recipe sounds good but I'm not supposed to be eating now. Hope you can stablize your bs.

nosugarmomma
01-19-2006, 08:50 PM
I went to WW tonight. I did not lose 5 lbs. but I did lose :goodscale 2.2. That is better than nothing. The school food is really good. I really mean it. I am going to start walking :tread: next week. I went to the Dr. today and my sugar is fine and found out I have arthritis. So he gave me something for that so I can start walking with out pain. Hope everyone is doing good. And bless ya'all. Thank you for all the support. I really enjoy it. :hug: :wave: :angel: :grouphug:

hefty1
01-20-2006, 09:43 AM
:wave: my sugar levels are down. i haven't exercising latly because it's too cold. i got the scone reciepe from another diebetic. does anybody like yorkshire pudding . i have reciepe. hope you don't the hoppers. :) glen

akrosey49
01-22-2006, 08:36 PM
Hi everyone.. hope you have all had agreat weekend.. it was real quiet around here and we had 8 inches of new snow and the wind really blew last night..i have a moose pot roast cooking in the oven with fresh green beans and new potatoes..moose is alot like beef only leaner..the dh is watching football.. and i had my nose ina book all day.. very lazy:dizzy: ((((hugs)) for all rosey:wave:

emerald dragonfly
01-23-2006, 12:48 AM
rosettastone, I am on Actos and LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!! It has brought down my blood sugars within a week! I was off of the meds for almost a month and I did pretty well, but my doctor said to get back on them. She told me if I lose my 33lbs., There's a good possibility I can get off of it! Can't wait because it costs me $220.00 for 1 month supply! Blew my mind when I had to write that check. LOL!!

Anyway, don't give up or get discouraged. Stay positive and motivated and soon you'll be feeling so much better!!! I promise!! ;)

emerald dragonfly

meowee
01-24-2006, 10:53 AM
Hello to everybody. Hope you've got room for one more.

I'm new to this thread but, unfortunately, not new to T2 diabetes (about 15 years now). My BS is moderately well controlled but it takes a lot of medication -- glyburide, metformin, actos, and insulin -- and I still have problems if I don't balance my carbs well throughout the day.

Once again, I'm trying to get serious about losing weight. I'm sure the BS level would be better if there was less of me and I might be able to use fewer meds. I don't mind all the pills and have not had too many side effects. The insulin, however, is another story. Boy, does it ever do a great job of packing on the weight, especially around the middle. If I lose a couple of pounds, it comes off my left earlobe :lol: (or some other obscure spot). If (when) I gain it back, it goes straight to the belly :mad:.

Wow, Glen, how did you know that scones (especially blueberry) are one of my favourite sins. My biggest problem with stuff like that is not knowing how to stop. No matter how LS/LF the treat may be, it doesn't help either the weight or BS control situation when you "eat the whole recipe in one sitting".
Are there any more Canadians on this thread? Would be nice to know there were some people who would know they don't have to call an ambulance if I mention that my BS was below 5 this morning :p (below 90 for the rest of you). Is the UK on the same system as Canada? or something different again?

Anyway, I'll stop boring everybody for the time being. Will be looking forward to chatting again soon. :grouphug: Have a great day.

akrosey49
01-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Hi everyone.. meowee:welcome2: im rosey from alaska.. your post tickled my sence of humour..i have the same issues but dont take insulin.. and when i loose wt its never where i want it to be gone..my sl have been awsome since i started taking glybazide and it takes away my appetite too.. i like baked stuff too and carbs and esp chcolate..so unless its a speacial occasion i dont bring it into the house cuz i will eat it all.. no will power.. anyways its sooooocold here today-13 below... brrrrrrrrrrr im freezing.. hope you all have agreat day(((((((((hugs)))))))) rosey :wave:

sapphire9
01-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Hi all. My blood sugars are getting higher and I'm concerned. It's because I haven't been sticking to my fasting program. I'm experiencing a lot of anxiety lately, in part due to a big birthday coming up that's bringing all sorts of stuff and another thing that came up last week. It makes it hard to stick to a program. I've been careful in my cheating and have lost despite it but this week I've just maintained. I wish I could get out of this funk.
Emerald - I know Actos does the job and I'll probably go back on it. Didn't know it was so expensive. Guess I won't complain about my $30 co-payment.
Linda - welcome to the thread. We all struggle with the same issues and try to support each other.
Rosey - sounds like being Snowbound is a good thing once in awhile. Any more activity from that volcano?

hefty1
01-25-2006, 09:12 AM
:wave: linda i think there is only two canuks here. rose try wwriting down what you eat. this might help find out why bs are high. try exercising more.

meowee
01-26-2006, 10:05 AM
Good Morning from Atlantic Canada . . .

And the good news is :) we seem to have been missed by the blizzard they were predicting for last night. Not exactly a bright and sunny morning, but only an inch or so of snow.

On a more personal note, my morning isn't too bright and sunny either. My BS is up a little too high and I really have no idea why. BS can vary for all sorts of reasons so I try not to let it get me down, but it does. :(

Hey, onward we go. This too will pass. The new vibrator belt for my vacuum cleaner has finally arrived so I can clean up the cat hair. Wow, life is really getting weird when you can get excited about being able to do some of your housework. :dizzy:

See you all soon. :hug: to everyone.

akrosey49
01-26-2006, 02:22 PM
Hi everyone.. im am sooooooo cold.. its -27 below this am and the furnace is running nonstop..im bundled up and still feel cold (mind over matter)..rosetta am sorry to here that you are struggling so..it is frustrating i know..just keep going one day at a time.. and if thats to hard then break that down into babysteps..stress had a major roll in making our sl go out of sight so when things calm down for you the sl will come down too.. hang in there((((hugs)) for you...meow.. you crack me up as i have issues with my vacume too..we have a golden retrevier that sheds constantly and my vacume just cant handle the pet hair:?: and i never get excited about housework.. wish i could hire it done but then id probably clean before the cleaing person came so they couldnt see my mess:lol: :fr: :lol: ..we were in anchorage the last 2 days as my dh had a dr apt.. got to see my other grkids and that made the trip worth it..im going to try a new chili reciepe today for a crock pot that i found in the new wday magazine.. altho the dh isnt kean on experiments:( i like to try something new once in a while.. ill let you know if its good..hope you all havea great day..stress free..((((((((:hug: ))))))))) rosey :wave:

Ruthxxx
01-26-2006, 03:13 PM
Another Canuk here but I don't check in very often because of MOD duties.
Stress really screws my morning bloodreading, Meowee. If I wake up in the middle of the night and have trouble falling back to sleep it is always higher in the morning. I usually run 4.5 to 5.8. If I have too many carbs at suppertime, I run a bit high in the morning.

meowee
01-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Glad I gave you a giggle, Rosey. When all the parts are there, mine handles the hair just fine. Good thing too, one of my 3 cats is a very large walking ball of long gray hair. At least it's not Summer. In the warm weather I get enough hair off him every week to make a couple of new kittens. What kind of vacuum are you using? Does it have the separate beater-bar rug thingie?

Thanks, Ruthxxx, I know too many evening carbs can screw me up, but I never really thought about the effect of a not so great night's sleep. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

See you later, kiddies. :wave:

akrosey49
01-27-2006, 03:09 PM
Morning everyone:coffee: its still miserably cold here..and im all bundled up and dont feel like going anywhere thats for sure..my sl was 104 this am..and i feel great.. the foot is not bothering me at all lately and nice not to hurt..ive got the slow cooker going with a new chili recipe..didnt do it the other day but wanted to try something new inspite of my dh grumbling that he doesnt like experiments..and have been printing pictures to do some scrapbooking.. i try and do one picture album for each yr..and its a good winter project..hope this finds you all toasty warm(((((((((:hug: ))))))))))) rosey :wave:

Ruthxxx
01-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Great reading, ROsey. Mine was the same and I'm darn cold too although I guess 10ºF isn't so bad compared to the Arctic!

miata1997
01-28-2006, 09:23 PM
Hi..I am Kathy and I have diabetes too. I take the mediforim and just quit the other medication i was taking..It is called amaryl...Oh it works getting the sugar down, but if you don't eat 2 hours after you eat it, you go low, real low and i hate that feeling..I don't go low and stay even with the mediform (or how ever you spell it!!!) Sometimes it makes me quesy but not for long, and not every day. My fbs have been between 90 & 100. I need to start testing more often so I can see what has been happening after meals. Will keep youposted on that one...I am not doing real good on my food plan, but have been thinking about really getting started..That is why I loged on to 3 fat chickes again..I really like eating sweets and that is why I got myself into this. The good thing about any food plan you are following..every minute you have you can choose to change..When I wake up in the am, i can choose to eat good stuff and not pastry...My favorite breakfast is cereal. Whole grain of course, and this is a tip i got from my daughter...use lactose free low fat/non fat milk...it helps with the blood sugar going to high after eating the cereal.

Anyway, nice to read all your post and I cant wait to get to know you.

I do live in Ukiah Ca. and my hobby is quilting...

Kathy

Dianne E
01-30-2006, 03:41 AM
Hello everyone :wave:
I am new to this site and these boards but I have enjoyed reading through all the forums so far!
My name is Dianne, I am originally from London but now live in Mississippi. 37 years old, married 9 years and get bossed around daily by our 6 dogs!.
I have been ignoring the fact I have diabetes (T2) for the last ooohhh maybe 2 years now, yes I know, bad bad me, but I have the worst weak willpower in the history of mankind and ignoring it seemed like a great way to deal with all the changes that had to be made.
That all changed last Friday when my Husband was also told he was now T2 with a cholestorol count off the charts, 2600+ on his count, it was so bad the lab couldn't get an accurate reading on it =( So the life changes are being made, that includes my way of thinking and acting since I am the cook for us and this site has INSPIRED me so greatly! Not only do I deal with my PCOD and T2 and now (since fri) my High Blood Pressure but to be a support for hubby also. Reading all these boards has made me realise how important support in whatever form it can come in can be, so here I am introducing myself to you all and maybe as my new lifestyle continues.. maybe ask a few questions along the way should I get a little lost :dizzy:

Anyway, nice to meet you all and once again this is a great site!

hefty1
01-30-2006, 09:04 AM
welcome diane. eat less pasta and other carbs. snacks help to prevent sugars from going to low. :strong: also helps. good luck. :) glen

meowee
01-30-2006, 10:27 AM
Good Morning from Atlantic Canada . . .

Here's a great big :hug: for the new members. You'll love it here.

Miata . . . I'm a quilter, too, although I have to admit that I haven't done much hand quilting in the past few years. When you've got grandchildren that need bedcovers, you learn to love machine quilting. So much faster and less painful too. I figure I do enough finger-pricking doing BS testing.

Dianne . . . Really sorry to hear about your husband's recent news. Try to find the bright side. You are definitely in this together and hopefully it will make compliance easier for both of you. Wow, with 6 dogs to walk, exercise should be easier, too.

Hefty . . . you always have good advice. That is also a great typing job. :cp: Have you been practicing?

Personally, I'm having a slow morning. I had a really bad hypo in the middle of the night. (Forgot that bedtime snack, Hefty). So I kind of ate breakfast at 3 am to bring the BS up out of the basement (below 3.0)(under 54). Thought I'd call the food "medicinal" and just ignore it :devil: but the good weight-loss fairy won out :nono: so I'll have an early lunch before I go out to do some shopping. Tomorrow will be a better day.

Have a great one :carrot: gang. Talk to you all soon.

akrosey49
01-30-2006, 02:00 PM
Morning everyone..:coffee: :wel3fc: and welcome to all the new people here..its finally warmed up today and the dh and i are going out to do errands..iv been hybernating under sweaters and blankets..my best advice to anyone new to diabetes is to educate yourself.. follow dr orders.. and take a class for diabetics.. even tho i have been diabetic for several yrs now and thought i knew all i needed to know.. when my sl started climbing my dr orderd me to take a 4 day class(ins paid for it) and i was really miffed about it but went anyways and boy did i learn alot of new things..it can be frustrating even for people who have had this for awhile but we have to live with it as its not going away.make small changes first..and like mr ken says watch the carbs..i still eat things im not suppose to just not all the time.. and with the meds im doing better than ever and you all can too..for everyone new im rosey.. live in a log house in alaska with my hubby and 2 dogs and a parakeet..i have 2 married daughters and 4 grandkids..i love to read.. make quilts and sew clothes for the grkids.. do scrapbooks.. and make and sell greeting cards and other crafts..i would say doing crafts keeps me busy and from going bonkers.. i also play bingo and poker on the puter.. as my dh is retired now all these hobbies helps keep us out of each others hair:lol: (and if you are retired you know what i mean) rosetta hope you are doing better..its nice to meet all of you and great to support each other..have agreat day everyone((((((((:hug: ))))))))))) rosey :wave:

nosugarmomma
01-30-2006, 04:13 PM
Hello everyone :wave:
I am new to this site and these boards but I have enjoyed reading through all the forums so far!
My name is Dianne, I am originally from London but now live in Mississippi. 37 years old, married 9 years and get bossed around daily by our 6 dogs!.
I have been ignoring the fact I have diabetes (T2) for the last ooohhh maybe 2 years now, yes I know, bad bad me, but I have the worst weak willpower in the history of mankind and ignoring it seemed like a great way to deal with all the changes that had to be made.
That all changed last Friday when my Husband was also told he was now T2 with a cholestorol count off the charts, 2600+ on his count, it was so bad the lab couldn't get an accurate reading on it =( So the life changes are being made, that includes my way of thinking and acting since I am the cook for us and this site has INSPIRED me so greatly! Not only do I deal with my PCOD and T2 and now (since fri) my High Blood Pressure but to be a support for hubby also. Reading all these boards has made me realise how important support in whatever form it can come in can be, so here I am introducing myself to you all and maybe as my new lifestyle continues.. maybe ask a few questions along the way should I get a little lost :dizzy:

Anyway, nice to meet you all and once again this is a great site! Hello my name is Angie and I know how you feel I have been T2 for about two years now and I hate it with a passion you just have to say no to alot of things but just remember in the long run it will be better.... Good Luck.

nosugarmomma
01-30-2006, 04:24 PM
Well I weighed last thurs. And I have lost two more pounds. I will weigh again this turs and I will let ya'all know I have to go now cause I have to pick my son up from school and take him to work then I will go and walk my two miles. Really I am walking two miles a day everyday but sat. I am outting in 12,000. steps a day. See ya'all later o.k.:angel: :tread: :comp: :grouphug: :grouphug: Oh big hug for ya'all new members. Glad to see and hear from ya'all....See ya later k

Dianne E
01-30-2006, 06:54 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome. I have an mini exchange and allowed calorie sheet for hubby and myself given to us by the Doc, but I have spent the day researching more complete exchange lists from sources like the ADA and Mayo clinic. I think I feel prepared enough now to take on the meals cooking with more courage and certainty!
Sugars are showing an improvement at least, I was in the late 270-350 range before now I am in late 170-230's. I don't have a medication currently, we were prescribed Avendament but apparently there is a national shortage of the drug for some reason unknown. Waiting to hear back as to what she intends to do with us lol. At least it's a step in the right direction!

Keep up the good work all!

Renya
01-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Since there are so many other newbies introducing themselves, I will jump on the bandwagon and introduce myself also.

I learned I was diabetic at the end of October. It wasn't until December that I got to go to a class. They taught me to count calories and carbohydrates. However, I was getting nowhere with that counting; not losing any weight. So two weeks ago I started Weight Watchers for the umpteenth time. I lost 2.6 pounds the first week and will find out tomorrow how I did on the second week.

I am 51 years old and have 2 daughters; one married and one at home. I also have one granddaughter. My husband and I are both CPAs who work together in his small firm.

I have an embarassing question. I have totally lost my libido. Is it because of menopause, diabetes, or both? Will I ever get it back again? :?:

BBWonwheels
01-31-2006, 01:39 AM
Hey everybody! Well i have an appointment with the dietian on thursday :carrot: im very happy about that. I went to the doctor this month and i found out my sugar was the boarderline of being high, it was 118 :( and my thyroids was on the boarderline of being low :?: . I guess that piece of cheese cake i ate over the holidays shows:doh: :) i can't wait to go because i finally get to know what or what not to eat. I being eatting bake chicken, salad, special k, fish, oatmeal, hamburger meat, wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, spiniach, green beans, whole wheat wraps with bake chicken strip and apples. Sometimes i eat cheerios. Thats my whole meal plan right there and im tellin you im tired of it..lol. I sometime eat a egg white with grits but i stop eatting grits so i dunno what to eat with the eggs. Sometimes i miss my time for my lunch or dinner because things around here get busy and my mom is not here to fix anything so i got to wait on her to get home. I'm losing weight because my wheelchair and my clothes is getting bigger and it is easy to move now and i can see my bones....lol but sometimes when i look in the mirror i don't see a weight loss....funny, huh! but sometimes i do. I do my exercise 3 times daily so im trying.

Well i'll end this and :wel3fc: to all the new people. Please enjoy your stay!

meowee
01-31-2006, 09:59 AM
Welcome, Renya, here's a big :hug: for you. You'll like it here, I'm sure. Your little "problem" is probably being impacted by both the diabetes and the menopause. Unfortunately both are noted for that effect. Discuss it with your doctor.

BBW . . . your diet already sounds pretty good to me and you have certainly been having a great result. Watch out for some of those packaged cereals. Although they may not have a lot of sugar they do have a fairly high GI.

What kind of exercises do you do? I have arthritis and my bad knees (as well as excess weight, of course) give me some mobility problems and I've been wondering what kind of seated exercise routines might be available.

You would think I'd have learned by now, not to sneak peeks at the scale between official weigh-ins, but I haven't. Tomorrow is the official weigh-day. A couple of days ago, I peeked and I was down 3 lbs. This morning I peeked again and I've got 2 of them back again. :mad: No more peeking. :mad:

Other than that, my morning is pretty good. BS reading of 5.3 (95) which means a pretty good start to the day. Not sunny and a bad storm is being predicted. We shall see what actually develops.

Have a good day, everybody. :carrot:

BBWonwheels
01-31-2006, 12:00 PM
Meowee-well i got cerebral palsy so i cant walk so i made my own exercise routin up. I run in place in my wheelchair. ill count while i do it (i do like 40 or 50). I do that twice 3 times a day (30 mins a day in all) :ebike: I use hands weights and legs weights so i can get a good workout. :barbell: Then for my arms i just lift them up and down with the weights on and i do punching moves. (30 times each). :carrot:

I do this 30 mins a day. I split it up tho. You can do your own exercise routin. Just find out what work for you.

Have a great day!:cheer:

meowee
01-31-2006, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the information, BBW. I'll get some weights and try some of those moves. I've also heard of a mini bicycle-type thing that you can either use with your feet on the floor or with your hands on a table that sounds like a great idea but I've never actually seen one.

As I was eating my lunch I thought of another hint that might prove useful for you . . . think of everything you eat as being spread out on a plate and then make sure that at least 1/2 of the imaginary plate is covered by vegetables (preferably green, leafy, kinds of stuff). The other half of the imaginary plate should be split fairly evenly between starch (bread, potato, pasta, rice, etc.) and protein (meat, fish, chicken, egg, cottage cheese, dried beans/legumes).

It is also important for a diabetic to eat at fairly regular intervals. Make sure you have some healthly little snacks around for those times your Mother might be late getting home. Fruit is good, of course, but raw veggies like celery and cucumber and carrots are even better. Just try to stay away from sweets and regular soft drinks.

Talk to you again soon.

Renya
01-31-2006, 01:23 PM
In reply to what kind of exercise I do, I use a treadmill. I was very consistent about it since we purchased it in December but now it has gotten boring. I haven't used it in 5 days.

sapphire9
01-31-2006, 03:19 PM
:welcome3: Hi to all the newbies and to everyone else. Congratulations to all those losing weight. BB - you are doing fine. Meowee is right. Watch out for the hidden carbs in the cereals. Vary your carbs a bit by using whole grains. Meowee - check out Miriam Nelson's book "Strong Women, Strong Bones." She sets up an exercise program using weights which can be done no matter what shape you're in.
I've been sick with a cold the last week so it's kept me a little more faithful to my program, except I substituted chicken soup for some of the meals. Anyway, I've lost 4 lbs. However, my blood sugars are high (150s, 160s in a.m.) and I'm concerned about that. Also, because I've been sick haven't been able to exercise the way I've been doing. But this will pass.

meowee
01-31-2006, 05:23 PM
Renya -- I have a lovely treadmill that now lives folded up, in the garage. :( It started living there quite a while before my knees gave out so I can't even use the arthritis as an excuse. :rolleyes: Unfortunately that seems to the fate of a lot of perfectly nice treadmills. I sincerely hope you get back in touch with yours. Do you have it somewhere in front of a TV? That might help.

Rosettastone -- Thanks for the info on the book. I'll look for it. Don't get too worried about the BS. It will likely come back into line once your cold has completely gone and you get back to a better diet. As you know, too little food isn't good for us either. My BS always goes up when I've got any kind of respiratory-related virus and I know that's true for a lot of people. I don't get too worried unless it's regularly sitting in double digits (above 180). In the meantime, relish the weight loss. :)

Have a great evening.

akrosey49
01-31-2006, 06:51 PM
Hi everyone.. its finally warmed up to above zero..a heat wave:cb: at any rate i like it..i know exercise is a big thing for all of us..but i dont have a regular program:?: and know i should.. at that diabetes class the educator gave me an exercise routine for people like me that can be done sitting in a chair.. and standing holding onto a chair and using weights..it suppose to make your legs stronger..i have done the routine and its not hard or difficult..i can share if you want but you would have to pm me your address so i could send you a copy..also richard simmons has a video exercises for seniors thats easy on the body..when i went to curves last yr i found that dancing around helped me alot.. gotta love that old rock and roll..anyways i think what is important is to find something we like and that works for us as individuals..and just do it no matter what shape we are in.. good advice for myself;) .. rosetta.. when im sick my sl go really high and my dr said that was normal..hang in there and feel better soon..nice to see so many new people in here ..have a great day everyone..(((((((((:hug: )))))))))) rosey :wave:

Dianne E
01-31-2006, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the information, BBW. I'll get some weights and try some of those moves. I've also heard of a mini bicycle-type thing that you can either use with your feet on the floor or with your hands on a table that sounds like a great idea but I've never actually seen one.

You can indeed buy a table top cycle for use with hands or feet. I actually get a health catalogue with them in, can I post a link to it here? I have bought the under desk cycle version for myself since I seem to be glued to my computer half of my day hehehe, quite a bargain at only 15 bucks to =)

Taken up a mile a day walking out with the dogs, 10 minutes on the treadmill also and keeping to my diet. BL this morning was 150 (fasting) and 148 tonight 2hrs post dinner! I'm feeling pretty good in myself right now. Hubby also doing great, although I can't watch what he eats during the week since he is a truck driver, but he's been telling me his BL every test 90-130ish and he has been buying salads not McD's!

meowee
01-31-2006, 10:07 PM
Wow . . . just thought I'd drop in to say goodnight and I'm very glad I did.

Dianne . . . please post a link to the little bicycle thing :^: . . . of course, with my luck it's probably only available in the US, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Sounds like both you and your husband are moving in the right direction.

Rosey . . . I'd love to have a copy of those exercises and I'd be thrilled to send you a private message with my e:mail address . . . if you wouldn't mind telling me how to do it :o

Thanks, ladies. Have a great night :carrot:

akrosey49
02-01-2006, 12:32 AM
Hi meowee.. at the top of the page is a heading that says welcome and then your name.. under that is private messages..i think thats how you send them..anyone else know how its done?? to send the exercises i would scan them and print a set and mail them too you..im not very computer savy so thats how i would do it..i did the exercises tonite and my legs ache more than usual.. i guess no pain no gain.. with my foot being sore i have sat around alot this winter and have noticed how weak and shaky i get if im up and about for along time..its hard to do things when you hurt..i think im just to fat for my poor little feet and my legs deffintly are weaker:?: gives me incentive to get moving more.. well enuff about me and it late..talk in the morning..(((((((hugs)))) rosey :wave: p.s. i tried to send you a message thru the private messages.. so check yours and see if it worked..

Dianne E
02-01-2006, 02:37 AM
ok meowee, as promised!
This is the motorized one: http://www.drleonards.com/detail.cfm?EDP=10401529
This is the one I bought, also useable for arms and back: http://www.drleonards.com/detail.cfm?EDP=10006542

I think they can manage to ship it to Canada ;)

However if they can't.... http://www.dental-plan.com/product/3568 Canadian version

meowee
02-01-2006, 11:12 AM
:shocksn: Well, morning has come (and almost gone again, now that I look at the clock). Basically, Nova Scotia is closed today. We finally got one of the blizzards they've been talking about for the last couple of weeks. I'll let you know the final tally for snow depth when it finally stops.

Rosey . . . I got your private message, and I hope you have received mine. I have to agree with you about the poor little feet (and heaven knows mine are not all that little). Mine were definitely not designed to carry this much weight.

Dianne . . . thanks for the links, I'm going to check them out as soon as I finish posting this.

My morning is not going all that great. The storm woke me up really early so I got up and did my official February 1 weigh-in. Blah . . . I only lost 1 little pound in the past 16 days. I know, I know, at least I didn't gain. I will update my slider and go on . . . forward and downward. :dunno: Now I really don't know if I want to continue with my twice a month weighing, or go to once a month or to once a week. Might as well do weekly I guess. So we'll see what next Wednesday has to say for itself. Anyway, I was up early . . . ate breakfast early . . . decided to have a nap . . . just got up again . . . now I have a headache (partly the nap and partly the low pressure from the storm). All in all, not the most fun I've ever had.

Talk to you soon, gang. Hope you all have a better day than I'm having :carrot:

Dianne E
02-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Hope the pedal excersiser works for you Meowee, and snuggle up warmly, avoid that bad weather!

Cooking question! When a recipe calls for "oats" instead of breadcrumbs as a substitue, would that be a reference to rolled oats, such as Quaker Oats the breakfast item?

SL was 152 this morning, can't believe I have almost halved my scores just by changing my diet. Been so drastic though, I feel the need for chocolate! ... must ... resist! *pout*

akrosey49
02-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Morning everyone:coffee: i had trouble sleeping last night too..it was my sore leg muscles..but this am i did the exercises again..and it hurt again..my youngest daughter is an exercise aholic..she has lost 183 # it took her a year but looks great and is trying to help her old mama ..she said eventually i wouldnt hurt and i would like it:o well we will see about that:lol3: ..meeowee i got your pm so it worked yay..so will contact you about the exercise sheets.. hope you all have agreat day((((((:hug: )))))))) rosey:wave:

meowee
02-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Just a quick hello . . .

There is a little medical supply shop in one of the neighbouring towns not too far from me where I'm going to try to see if they've got anything like those little exerciser machines. My experience ordering stuff from the US has not been good. Canada Customs stops them at the border and tacks on all sorts of duties and taxes and then, they've got the nerve to add a fee. . . sort of like charging you for the privilege of charging you.

Yep, Dianne, that would mean the regular rolled oats by Quaker. The kind you have to cook, not the instant kind. They are a wonderful ingredient . . . important for keeping cholesterol in check and they help hold moisture in baked goods and they add a bit of natural sweetness as well.

Have a good day. See you tomorrow.

BBWonwheels
02-02-2006, 02:54 AM
I order that petel exerciser :ebike: and i hope it will help me! :carrot:

Dianne E
02-02-2006, 05:40 AM
I sure hope it helps you BBW! I think they are a great idea actually especially for anyone who has trouble doing regular excersise or just wants to stay at home that particular day.
Looking forward to getting mine thats for sure!

Meowee, I think most medical supply places could probably obtain them, good thinking there, and thanks for the clarification concering the oats issue!

Keep up the good work!

akrosey49
02-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Morning everyone:coffee: its bitterly cold here this am again -16 below.. im longing for spring.. i have been faithfully exercising every morning..and im stiff and sore but determined..meowee i mailed those exercises to you and hope they help..hope you are all having a good day(((((((:hug: )))))))))) rosey:wave:

gmalil
02-03-2006, 05:44 PM
This group has really grown! That is great!
Rosey, i would love to have those exercises too. I'll PM you with my info. ALSO?? I am wondering about your foot, and what problems you have with it. I'm scheduled for some foot surgery next month.:(

All this talk about exercise has inspired me to go get on my exercise bike! thanks!:ebike:
I also go to curves, I haven't been really regular with it, but my sister in law iss now losing her vision enough, that shes shouldn't drive, so I have committed myself to take her to curves 3 times a week, knowing that it will get me there too.:carrot:

akrosey49
02-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Hi everyone.. gmalil id be happy to send them too you.. as for my foot..i stepped on something on a trip to the brm in the middle of the nite..who knows what it was.. a few days later my foot was so sore i could hardly step on it.. i doctored it my self and soaked it etc and it didnt get any better..my hubby looked at it and said it looked like something was imbedded in there.. so went to the dr and they xrayed it and ultra sounded it and nothing showed so they lanced it and found an abcess.. they didnt stitch it and it had to heal from the inside out.. and for me to take antibiotics and soak it..it took along time to heal.. as this happened before xmas.. now im a short big women with little feet and have to be able to get around.. and beleave me it hurt but finally healed up didnt hurt for 3 wks and then getting into the car my foot slid on ice and i felt the cut tear open..ouch..so was sore for a nother week but is better now.. ive come to beleve that im just to fat for my little feet.. sooooooooo the answer is to loose weight and exercise..which im trying to do..long story short we need to be real carful of our feet:( and the dr always checks mine whenever i go in..and never go barefoot like i did to the btrm in the middle of the nite:( i always were hard soled slippers but was in too much of a hurry to get them on)..dumb on my part..hope i didnt bore anyone with my story..its still cold here..and i made brocollii cheese soup for lunch..this is the time of year where we all have cabin fever.. and im suffering from a big case of it..of course theres lots that needs doing but who wants to chase dust bunnies today:lol: talk later((((((hugs))) rosey :wave:

meowee
02-03-2006, 09:34 PM
Hello everybody . . . just dropped in to say good night . . .

Once again, Rosey, thank you very much. I'll definitely let you know when they arrive. Glad to hear the foot is doing well now. I'm always bumping into things and hurting my feet -- even with coverings on them. Hey, since they hurt, at least we know we haven't lost the feeling in our feet which one of the main reasons they always tell diabetics to be very careful with their feet.

Dianne -- I meant to mention this to you before but I forgot. Try making yourself some very low-carb chocolate flavouring to have with yogurt or something. It has helped me overcome most (not all) of my chocolate cravings -- mix 1 tsp dutch cocoa, with 2 or 3 tsps Splenda, and about 1/4 tsp vanilla and stir into a cup of FF yogurt or milk. It's not bad at all.

Have a good one. Keep smiling

Dianne E
02-03-2006, 11:36 PM
I'll try that meowee! God knows I have been craving choccie for the last week since I started this all encompassing diet regime. Actually I am scared to eat right now because I know how I am and once started tend to not stop =( Actually this week on a daily basis has comprised of:
Breakfast - 1 slice wheat toast - coffee (1 starch)
Lunch - 1/2 large Apple (1 fruit)
Dinner, Salad (Lettuce 1 cup, cucumber, stalk of spring onion (freebie foods?)
1/2 tomatoe, 1/2 grated carrot (1 veg) and 1oz lean grilled turkey breast (1 lean meat)
Snack - the other half of that large apple (1 fruit) and maye 3-4 frozen grapes
Add in 1 milk and 2 fat for creamers in my coffee over the day and thats what I am doing everyday... and it still feels like it's to much and I'm not doing enough to help myself lose weight..

Any tips or pointers?

On the up note however, I have gotten my SL down below 130 with no medications taken! I start Avandament 500mg x2 daily as of tomorrow once I pick up the prescription, maybe I won't need as much hehehehe

meowee
02-05-2006, 07:43 AM
Good morning to all . . .

Nova Scotia is back to mild weather again. All that snow is melting quickly. This strange winter just keeps getting stranger. :dizzy:

Wow, Dianne, not doing enough to help yourself lose weight? To me it sounds like you're not eating enough! Try to have more low cal, low carb, low fat food . . . yep, I mean vegetables. Try oatmeal with fruit for breakfast; add some FF yogurt to go with those 1/2 apples; dinner sounds pretty good, but you can afford to double everything listed. Your body needs to know it will get fed again or it will try to save every calorie it receives. Your stomach and your mind needs to feel full. If you feel hungry all the time, you will have a lot more trouble sticking with your plan. That is probably especially true for your husband. Men are notoriously bad at self-deprivation. Oh yes, be sure your doctor knows how well you're doing at managing your BS with diet alone before you add medication to the mix. You may not need the full dose or you may not need it at all.

Anyway, we'll talk to you all soon. Have a great day, everybody. :carrot:

hefty1
02-05-2006, 09:34 AM
this web site may help all of you www.kraftcanada.ca then go to healthy living section. theres lots of info. :) glen

Dianne E
02-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Good morning all!
Glad to see we made it through the server transfer unscathed! Well I am exceptionally pleased with myself this morning, SL is 100 on the nose. Guess that's a good thing since the doc forgot to call in my prescription and yet again am without the meds :(
I bought a few new things to add to my daily intake, and hubby is trying out the weight watchers cakes to satisfy his sweet tooth. Poor fella is struggling with his lack of daily peanut butter cups, chocolate cup cakes and choccie milk... ahhh the bad diet habits of a truck driver eh! We both haven't weighed in yet, not for another week or so until we go back to the docs but he definately looks like that belly of his is shrinking and I can get into a dress that I haven't been able to now for a year! I really need to purchase some bathroom scales hehe.
Meowee, did you ever locate a pedal excersiser at that local medical supply store?

Hefty1, some great recipes on that kraft site! my printer is working overtime!

akrosey49
02-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Hi everyone.. boy dianne..you are not eating enuff and your body will think you are starving it..i know i did the same thing at first but learned when i was hungry all the time that i needed to learn more and took several eating classes how to manage things better..you should be eating all that you are but add more protein..also some carbs are good for you.. you should have 2 to 3 servings of carbs per meal..one serving is 15 grms.. so if you read your labels you can figure how much you are eating(carbs i mean)also a carb counting book helps.. i was told if i eat alot of fruit to add a protein like cheese it helps slow down the sugar spikes..good carbs are oatmeal. grians. brown rice.wheat bread etc baked sweet potatoes or yams is a favorite of mine and then top it with sf apricot jam nad some cinnamon..yoplait lite ff yougart is a good snack with fruit..if you very your diet you wont get bored so quickly.. also a little chcolate wont hurt..not the whole bag but i have 1 piece of dark dove chcolate sev times a week:D by the way my sl was 108 this am and i eat like I descibed all the time.. of course portion control etc but in time you will figure what works for you..i really recommend those classes tho if you have them in your area..i learned alot.. its above 20 out today and im loving it.. the dh is watching the super bowl..im not a football fan but like all the funny new commercials..hope everyone else is having agreat day(((((((((:hug: )))))))) rosey :wave:

creations
02-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Just found this site. I'm on WW with over a hundred pounds to lose. I've been a diabetic for over 20 years. Overweight all my life,. Now have major problems with my right leg and foot.

meowee
02-06-2006, 09:15 AM
A great big, welcoming :hug: for you, Creations. Glad you can join our little party. The more of us to become the less of us the better.

Good morning to everybody else. Another sunny, warm, snow melting day here in Nova Scotia. No, Dianne, I haven't had a chance to get to the medical supply store yet. Guess I could give them a call, eh? :doh: Wow, you are certainly doing well, controlling your BS. I know it must be hard for your to hear both Rosey and I telling you to eat more when you are obviously doing so well, but it will prove true in the longer term.

Thanks for posting that Kraft site, Glen. Some great stuff out there.

See you all soon, gang. Have a great day. :carrot:

akrosey49
02-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Morning everyone:coffee: the phone woke me up at 5 am scared the do do out of me as i hate those calls early or in the middle of the nite.. always seems they are bad news.. so i stumbled to the phone and guess what a telemarketer:mad: by then the dogs where up and prancing so no going back to sleep..im tired allready and the days just begun..sl was 99 this am.. never has it been this low.. new meds are really working..welcome creations..our groups growing..i like that:) rosetta havent heard from you in awhile every thing ok for you??i had trouble getting back on here after their big server change.. but deleted some cookies as they recomended and restarted puter and her i am..not sure what i did but it worked.. well this very tired old lady is going to have some more coffee and try and get something done today..have agreat day everyone and much success with our eating plans and exercising..((((((((:hug: )))))))))))) rosey :wave:

Dianne E
02-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Yes a dreary rainy cold good morning from Mississippi to all and a big welcome to Creations. You'll like it here Creations, these folk are nice as can be and very helpful!
Well the old SL was hovering at 117 this morning and I think I feel pretty good (won't know until after my first coffee of the day hehe). Still in awe of the fact I managed to drop my glucose over 100 points just by diet change alone, I'm so happy!
Congrats Rosey! You must feel so good about that reading!!! Definately deserves a *Big Hug*

sapphire9
02-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Hi all. Welcome Creations. Hi, Rosey. I'm okay. Just a little anxious these days. My apartment building is for sale and I have to put up with total strangers waltzing through my tiny apartment. And the anxiety of what the new owner will do. Plus I have a big birthday coming up at the end of this month which is making me do a lot of assessment and bringing angst. And I still have a lingering cold.
For those of you who are new, I'm a type 2 diabetic. I was taking Glucophage, Actos and Glyberide until I went on a medically supervised fast last August. My blood sugars did go up after the weight loss doctor took me off Actos and Glyberide. I increased the Glucophage and they went down a little but then I started cheating and guess what went up? So I'll probably go back on Actos when I see the endocrinologist in a couple of weeks. I haven't been on a strict fast for a couple of months but am still losing weight. I've lost 78 lbs so far and have a long way to go. Hopefully, after the birthday, I will get back on the fast and be good.
Rosey and Creations - so sorry about your foot problems. We've got to be very careful. I'm fortunate that my insurance pays for periodic trips to the podiatrist for foot exams and nail cutting.
Dianne - Meowee's right. You're not eating enough. Add something to your lunch. Yogurt is a good suggestion.

Wheezy
02-06-2006, 10:33 PM
Hi!
How long have you been diabetic? I have been for 28 years, 2 years on insuliln:( and I hate it. I never took care of mine up until 2 years ago and I still have times that I struggle with it, but I am improving.

Someone who has diabetes I think always go into denial. It's a hidden disease. No one would know that you have it just by looking at you and I think at least for me as long as I didn't go to the doctor other than when I had to go about meds then I never really took care. The doctor I have now though makes me come in to see him every three months to get my meds. So you have to be good as I have to have a A1C test done each time.

You should really do some sole searching in regards to diabetes as it is also a silent killer. I lost my father 13 years ago this March due to him not taking care of this awful disease until it was too late the damage was done. He died at the age of 67. That's not old! I don't want to die at that age I have told my grandson that I am going to live to be 100.

So take care and if you need to talk with someone regarding your diabetes feel free to contact me.
Thanks Wheezy! :carrot:

BBWonwheels
02-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Hi everybody, Well i still haven't seen a dietian yet :( because shes out sick. So i'm still going my ear on what i can eat or not. I'm scared to eat over my daily calorie intake between 900-1200 because me being phyically handicap those extra calorie can really add up.....:dizzy: :^: So i read food labels and exercise 3 times a day just incase i do go over my calorie intake. I am learning to listen to my body now, like if i eat something and i don't feel right after i eat it then i know not to eat it nomore. So your body will let you know when sumthing a right.

Hey to all the new comers :wel3fc: Hey rosey and all the girls:hug: its a cold morning here in mississippi.

Have a nice day!

meowee
02-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Hi from Nova Scotia . . . another pretty good day here.

BBW -- You are absolutely right. Listen to your body. That seems to be a talent we lose as we "mature", especially as it pertains to our eating habits. Kids seem to know instinctively what their body needs, until we parents train it out of them.:)

I had another small "hypo" this morning. BS of 3.3 (59) at 4:30 am. So another early breakfast followed by another nap. I've been getting really strange signals from my body since I started this concerted "better eating" resolution at the beginning of the year. Things went along pretty smoothly for most of January, but now I've got two very conflicting signals -- the "hypo-lows" (and fairly good readings in the 5's and 6's (90 to 120) the rest of the time) and a really nasty yeast infection which, of course, usually (at least for me) goes along with High BS readings. :shrug: Any ideas?

Dianne -- You've got every right to be impressed at how well you've done. I certainly am and I sincerely hope your doctor is too. :hat:

Rosetta -- Please cheer up :hug: You've done so well. Hopefully everything will go fine with the apartment building and a birthday is just a number, no reason to get down about it. What birthday is it? and exactly when? I'll be 63 on the 25th. Bet you can't beat that! :D

Wheezy -- Good to have you join us; hope you'll post often. It's been 15 years for me and about 4 years on 20 units of Insulin N at bedtime. In addition I take glyburide, metformin, and actos.:welcome2:

Anyway, everybody, I'd best get moving along if I expect to get anything done today. See you all soon. Have a great day. :carrot:

creations
02-07-2006, 12:46 PM
After of morning BS of 171 went to the eye dr. Have bleeders in the left eye again,but he will watch them. Pressure was ok have to go back in 3 months.
I know I have to watch what I'm eating better,but can't stay away from the junk food. I'm on pills and insulan.

Dianne E
02-07-2006, 02:30 PM
I watched my Father battle diabetes for 10 years having been diagnosed with it later in life at 55. He had always been a big man from childhood, so no telling how long he was suffering the effects of type 2 until he finally got it checked out. After a couple of years of doing the pills and watching his weight he decided to **** with it all "I'm going to do as I damn well please and lead life as I want to". He lived his life as he had everyday before diagnosis, eating what he wanted, joining his co-workers and friends in the pub in the afternoon for a couple of pints "with the lads" and a few (5-6+) Rum & Cokes in the evening with his ladyfriend. at 58 he had to take an early unplanned retirement because his eyes were giving him so many problems including vision loss, he couldn't see to drive and subsequently lost his licence because of medical results. Still he carried on doing what he wanted to do regardless of his poor eyesight. I frequently saw him with bloodshot eyes due to the bursting blood vessels. He took public transport/taxi's from then on and occasionally walked to his destinations, that's when he accidently stepped on a rusty nail. he didn't feel it, it stayed stuck through the sole of his shoe all day. 3 months later he lost half his foot because of gangarene and infection complications. his foot never fully healed after that operation, he was in and out of hospital for 6 years with reoccuring infections, it refused to heal and he refused to take his lifestyle into accountability for it.
May 6th 1996 I stopped by late after work to visit with him. I hadn't heard from him all week and was concerned. I let myself in and heard him upstairs in his bedroom crying and moaning. My Father was old world raised, never show your emotions even if there is no-one around. He had a severe pain in his lower back and stomach. I tended to him that night as he claimed it was a case of tummy-upset, by morning he was in greater pain. I took him to the hospital and he was admitted for testing and pain control.
May 7th 1996. X-ray and catscans revealed he had a black mass behind and inside of his stomach, they were to explore that evening surgically to find out what it was and what was causing it. I stopped by that late afternoon to bring him fresh PJ's and bathroom items, he was up and about and quite chipper on the pain medication he had been recieving. They took him into the OR at 7pm that evening, I was babysitting for my friend until 10pm, after that i was going to go back and spend the night with him after he was out of recovery.
10:30pm I called to see if he was ready for visitors, I was told he was still in surgery. So I left my friends and headed the 50 miles to the hospital anyway.
11:45pm Still in surgery.
1:00am He was brought out of OR and into the critical care unit.
1:30am I was having my hand held by a kindly head-Nurse who was informing me that the advanced stages of Diabetes had eaten away the walls to his Aeorta, it was perforated beyond repair and the black mass was in fact blood build up as it leaked. They had done all they could but it was an impossible fix.
May 8th 1996:
2am-10:30am I watched my Father bleed to death internally, and all because he wouldn't moderate what he ate or drank. He was 66 years old.

For 2 years I have done the very same thing, ignored the diagnosis, eaten what I "damn well wanted to" Yoyo'd my weight, seen a sugar level high of 1100.. yes 1100! Woken up once in the middle of my front room floor and only had recollection of 10 hours previously, how and why I was laying there I did not know. Then I found this site and these people, and we all shared the same thing in common, Diabetes, weight problems, medications and a will (sometimes hidden!) to live beyond 10-15 years. In 9 days I have dropped my SL from the 300's to the high 90's, I feel better already and after the first few days am now used to the new foods I eat. I simply refuse to go out the way my Father did because of my weak will & addictions to the junkier side of eating and I'm not going to.

Creation's take care of your eyes sweetie, you only get 1 set

creations
02-07-2006, 05:02 PM
Thanks for your story Dianne. That's where I was headed even thro I don't drink. For years I've taken pills,shots but eaten whatever I want when I wanted it.Good Luck

akrosey49
02-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Oh my gosh:o what an amazing amd sad story.. and a lesson there for all of us..thankyou for sharing Diane and wtg on your new journey..my father died at 60 from type 1..he took care of himself but they know so much more about this disease than they did back then at least that what my dr told me when i was newly diagnosed and worried about the heridity angle..she also said they have better drugs and ways of controlling it if you follow drs advice..i remember mama telling me he had to have a balanced diet and one time when she was gone shopping i was to fix him dinner( i was about 10).. well he got 7 different kinds of beans for vegies as i knew he had to have a healthy meal.. my poor dad was very gracious and ate some of each and told me it was a fine meal:love: .. i still giggle about that..so eat your vegies:carrot: ..and think twice about that food you are dieing to have and know better..have agreat evening everyone(((((((:hug: ))))))))) rosey :wave:

meowee
02-08-2006, 08:48 AM
Good Morning, gang . . . another beautiful sunny morning :sunny: although it is fairly cold . . .

Creations . . . :hug: keep fighting the good fight, girl, you can do it. We can all do it, with a little help from our friends. We are here for each other.

Dianne . . . :hug: I cried. You are an inspiration to us all. So glad you finally saw the light and so glad we are in this battle together.

Rosey . . . :hug: As usual you struck just the right note . . . mixed beans always make a good meal.

Since I was the first person in my immediate family to be diagnosed with diabetes, I don't have any relative (pun intended) stories. I just hope my kids and grandkids will be able to talk about me as "the only person in the family with diabetes". :crossed:

On a personal and more current note, I have bad news, good news, and better news . . . I had a bit of a pig-out after dinner last night. Made and ate 6 buttermilk biscuits. Probably would have been more if I'd had more (you know those moods). At least I didn't have an early morning hypo this AM. :D Actually surprised that my BS was only 5.7 (103). Sometimes you just get lucky. This was also my weigh-in morning and I got lucky again. Down 2 lbs. :yes:

Well, looks like it's time to get about my business for the day. Have a great one, everybody. Talk to you soon. :carrot:

spicydiva
02-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Hi Everyone
I am joining this sight because I am scared and need some support. I have had diabetes since I was 24 years old, I am now 41 and I too was going to ignore the diagnosis. I was 376 lbs and am now 304. I have struggled to maintain that loss for the last 10 years. I take insulin and a bucket of medication daily. I believe that I probably have PCOS but have never been diagnosed with it. I find that many doctors just look at you and say you're fat what do you expect with any ailment you have. I have drastically changed my eating habits...whole grains, nothing refined, I hardly ever eat bread any more. I am have been more active than ever in my life, but recently am recovering from a low back injury....I am frustrated and lost...help...all advice or suggestions accepted:thanks:

akrosey49
02-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Morning everyone..and welcome spiceydiva..its amazing how similar all our storys are.. with issues about weight and health..taking meds.. hard to exercise or not wanting to..heridity..and the balancing act we all have to follow with food and life style and choices every day..and being scared for ourselves.. and feeling its not fair to have this awful disease.. but thats life isnt it.. and arnt we lucky they know so much more about this disease now and how to control it so we can live longer and healthier..with a few food changes.. a littles exercise and following dr advice.. we can do this.. we all can..and since we are human if we overindluge with whatever we just go back to what we are suppose to do and keep on trucking..:cb: :encore: :cp: ..hope we all have agreat day avoiding what tempts us ((((((((:hug: )))))))))) rosey :wave:

Dianne E
02-08-2006, 03:28 PM
Welcome to our little corner of the world Spicydiva! So glad you found us! it's a frightening road to travel I will agree, and I have met a few Doctors with that attitude myself along the way. That 72lb loss is a great! Do you have a weight goal you would like to achieve for say..the next year? and a diet plan in mind or just winging it but eating better?

To my horror last night my postprandial reading was 184, I am guessing that starches and I don't agree to a high degree =( At least I am assuming it was the starches, Dinner comprised of, 3.5oz fresh cod fillet, grilled /w lemon juice, no batter or breading. Salad, 1.5 cups chopped lettuce, 1/4 cup sliced cucumber, 2 sliced grape tomato's and 2 grated baby carrots with 1 tbsp 1000 island dressing/1tbsp vinegar mix, 1 small whole wheat dinner roll (dry) and a baked potato 1.5" x 2" /w 1/2 tsp of butter. Only thing I did differently was add the baked potato and it was tiny!!! *grumble* it made me break my nice new readings for the past few days. However back to 100 on the nose for the morning reading.
Stepping up my walking total to 3 miles a day as of today, my dogs don't know whats become of me but they are enjoying thier evening strolls, just wish it wasn't so darned cold out there right now! ha but I shouldn't complain I've never been a fan of hot weather either.. ahh but this year I will buy a swim suit and who knows maybe my legs might even see sunlight again.. in public! *chuckle*

sapphire9
02-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Hi, all. Just got back from the podiatrist. My feet are doing okay. My mother lost a leg because of a foot infection so I'm really careful about my feet. I know we'd all like this disease to just go away and let us do what we want. Like others, I too have played ostrich at times since being diagnosed in 1994, but as Dianne pointed out, the consequences down the line are dire.
Meowee - My birthday is the 25th too. I'll turn 60. It's not the physical age, it's all the things that come with it and not having options that you do when you're younger. That's part of the apartment problem -- I want to move but can't afford to because the rents in this city are so high and I feel trapped. Anyway, I always get wierd around my birthday and will get over it.
I'm still not keeping faithfully to my program but was down almost 3 lbs at the official weigh-in last night.
Spicy - welcome. Congratulations on the weight loss! You seem to be doing the right things. You might want to start counting calories because even if you are eating the right things you may be eating too much of them. When your back gets better, you will probably feel better because you can exercise. Meanwhile, keep posting.

creations
02-08-2006, 10:32 PM
Have a weight in tomorrow. Been watching real close these past 3 days. The weekend forget it. But the last two nites my bs has bottomed out. Don;t know if its nerves or what.

meowee
02-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Nova Scotia is sunny and cold again today. Weather station is calling for snow tomorrow. We'll see. In the meantime, we are just enjoying the sunshine.

A great big welcoming :hug: for Spicy. We are all here for you, girl. We all have those dark moments when things just seem overpowering, but with the help of our buddies we can keep on moving forward. My doctor has a habit of telling me the same things as yours . . . and, as much as I don't like to hear it, he is usually right. Just keep fighting the good fight.

Once again, Rosey, you have good advice and good questions. You always manage to sound so "up". You are my inspiration again this morning.

Dianne, I hate to have to tell you this but the potato probably didn't help although there are a lot of reasons for an occasional high reading. Baked potato has a GI of 85. Sucrose (plain old table sugar) is only 65. Your whole wheat roll (also about 65) or pasta or rice (about 50) are better choices for the starch portion of your meal. Also, you probably should limit youself to a single starch (I know I have to because I'm pretty "starch-challenged" too). I have pretty much given up potatoes because I love them too much. The little new potatoes are a bit better (about mid 60's) because they have a much higher water content.

Nice to share a birthday with you, Rosetta. What non-food treat should we plan for ourselves? Also I know exactly what you mean about not seeming to have as many options and we get older. The good part, of course, is that we are so much wiser. We've mostly seen it all before and know that life does go on; things do get brighter no matter how dark they may seem at the time.

Just what do you mean by "bottomed-out", Creations? That's kind of how I think of a Hypo, but nerves will usually cause an increase in BS rather than a decrease. Did you check your actual reading? Are you eating properly (although "properly" can be hard to nail down at times)?

I had another Hypo last night -- 2.8 (50) at 3:30 am. As I mentioned before, I've got a really strange set of indicators. . . these middle of the night lows, coupled with this seemingly endless topical yeast infection that usually means high BS. Personally, I think my body is just having a difficult time adapting to the fact that I'm eating a much healthier diet. Hopefully I'll soon figure out just how to get things into proper balance again. Seems I need a little starch as a bedtime snack. The tricky part (since, as I mentioned, I'm definitely "starch-challenged", i.e., a little bit usually goes a long way) is determining how much.

Well, the morning is moving along, so I will say "toodles". Have a great day everybody. Keep on moving forward . . . :carrot:

nosugarmomma
02-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Just found this site. I'm on WW with over a hundred pounds to lose. I've been a diabetic for over 20 years. Overweight all my life,. Now have major problems with my right leg and foot.
I know where you are coming from. I found out I was type two a cople of years ago. I now have about 150 lbs. to lose and it is hard. I also go to weight watchers. Would love to be your diet buddy we need all the support we can get :welcome:

creations
02-09-2006, 11:43 AM
my bs was 50 last nite. Weigh in this morning after a bs of 127. I'm down.6 and I had to work for every bit of that.
its sunny but cold here. Another month and maybe I can get out and walk.

Dianne E
02-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Yup I think you are right Meowee, It's the first potato I have had since I began and the only other thing I have had an intolerance to was a 98% fat free roast beef pre packaged meat (SL 198 postprandial), of course I didn't notice the "baked in caramel coating" in tiny letters on the front of the package! Oh well the dogs enjoyed the extra treat! Well I'll just stick to my 1 slice of whole wheat toast in the morning or Oatmeal and save the starch for dinner time, maybe the roll or something. it's funny, hubby doesn't seem to have a bad time with breads or potatoes, his latest reaction was to plain boiled shrimp.. weird.

However! SL this morning a WHOPPING 84 /grin ohhhh let me go dance naked in the streets!.. well maybe not, scaring the locals isn't a good thing and visions of Dianne jiggling in thier heads isn't as exciting as xmas sugarplums.

Meowee, maybe a small snack before bed would help? Couple of crackers or a mint just to help those night lows?

Creations congrats on your weightloss sweetie, a step in the right direction indeed! As Meowee asked, what is your current diet like? You're not starving yourself are you? Oh and let me make you a little suggestion that worked for me. Walmart sell pedometers for $4.00, I use it when I walk in the evening or on the treadmill (I hate that thing) and it's inspiring to hear it's little click click click counting off your steps. Even more when you finish and it's telling you that a short trip around the block was 5000+ steps! Makes walking a bit more challenging, "Can I beat yesterdays total" etc

So, I woke up this morning (no laughing at me for this!!!) having dreamt that I had eaten 1/8th of a snickers bar. I recalled the dream entirely, I had read the package for the nutrition facts, weighed up the pro's and con's, decided to slice it into 8 pieces and eat one a day. I REMEMBER eating it!!! the taste.. everything! What's even more sad about this is that I woke up feeling GUILTY about eating it and had to lay there for 5 minutes wondering if I had really eaten the darn thing. LOL now I am dreaming of candy and I'm calorie counting PHANTOM chocolate! omg.... I'm going insane slowly heheh

Still no delivery on my pedal machine =( I'm so looking forward to that, wish it would hurry up. Oh well, back to dancing while doing my vaccuming for now.

Keep up the good work ladies!

Dianne E
02-10-2006, 05:34 PM
Slackers! where are you all! ;)

meowee
02-11-2006, 07:13 AM
Hello World . . . Yep, I'm still here.

The last couple of days have been really weird. :spin: You know what they tell you to do when life hands you a bunch of lemons . . . well, I can't seem to find my lemonade recipe. :dunno:

I'm sure it will turn up soon. Nothing keeps me down for long. :cp:

Have a great day, everybody. I'll be back when I'm in better humour.

gmalil
02-11-2006, 11:24 AM
Diane, "Visioons of Snickers, dance in your head"! too funny.:D

Meowy, I hope you find that Lemonade recipe soon, Just the fact that you put it that way is a sign that you will be back to good humor soon.:^:

I'm off to a Red Hat luncheon today, at the Mexican restaurant..I'm planning to order a 'friendly' shrimp salad, and count the chips I will eat as my carbs.

The diet that my diabetes educator has suggested is:
Breakfast: 3 carbs (starch, fruit or milk) 15 grams each
1 meat serving and 1 fat serving
Snack 1 carb
Lunch: 3 Carbs, 1 or 2 non-starchy veggies
2 or 3 meat portions & 1 fat
Snack: 1 carb
Dinner: 3 carbs, 1 or 2 non starchy veggies
3 meat portions and 1 fat
Snack: 1 carb

When I follow it closely, I lose consistantly.

Must scoot! DH beckons!
:dizzy:

meowee
02-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Hi Lillie . . . Glad to hear things are going well for you. I'm just about over my blue funk. :D

Just an interesting little side note . . . I tend to think about carbohydrates in the older style that was what the CDA was teaching at the time I was diagnosed (about 15 years ago), . . . i.e.,

I split my carbs into four different categories
(1) Milk and yogurt,
(2) Starch;- bread, potatoes, rice, pasta,
(3) Fruit and starchy vegetables; such as peas, carrots, winter squash, and finally
(4) non-starchy vegetables.

Then I try to split my carb consumption by category . . . approximately
(1) 25-30%. (2) 25-30%, (3) 25-30%, and (4) 10-25%.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have some troubles with category (2) and sometimes (3). So, for me, a fairly even 25% for each category seems to work best. Besides, I really like lots of salad.

Your newer way is a little easier to work with, of course, and if it works well for you, that's great. For me, it would let me think I could get away with more bread and potatoes than what I can really handle, so I'll probably stick with the old-school formula. When you add it all up, we're both talking about somewhere between 180 to 200 grams of carbohydrate a day. In other words, the more things change, the more they stay the same. :D

Hope you had a great time at that Red Hat Society meeting. Another great group of mutual supporters.

See you soon. :carrot:

gmalil
02-11-2006, 05:54 PM
Hi Meowie...my educator said the secret of the carbs and distributing them the way she told me to, is to keep them balanced thru the day, thereby keeping my BS# level.
I get carried away with the potatoes and such, as well. :( what can you expect from an Idahoan!?!?
Our son brought buffalo steaks to BBQ tonight, so that will be a healthy meal. I have green beans, from last yrs garden, cooking and will have baked potatoes. for the others, but I will not partake tonight.:nono:
ttfn
LIL

Dianne E
02-11-2006, 09:49 PM
Glad things are starting to look up for you Meowee. Keep your chin up girlie =)

Yes, indeed, Visions of Snickers dancing in my head, still can't believe I dreamed that!

Well Gals, I shall be gone for the week as of tomorrow morning, decided to take a week out on the road with hubby as I do occasionally. Helps keep him in check ;) Got to watch what I eat out there, so many fast food opportunities and very little stopping time for a real meal while on delivery deadlines... ho hum challenge time!

Btw I tend to work on your way of daily intake counting to Meowee, just miss potatoes!!!

Take care all, see you in a week!

-Dianne

akrosey49
02-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Hi everyone.. sure hope you all had abetter weekend than i did.. to much stress:?: and my comfort for that is chocolate.. i can t beleave i ate a whole bag of dove chocolate this weekend..yup you heard me the whole thing:o and boy do i feel guility..but the funny thing is it didnt raise my sl at all..wonder how much weight it made for me with that binge tho:( ..well back on track today.. and the stress is gone to..my dh brought me flowers for valentines.. hes so sweet and no chocolate!!!!..hope you all will be my VALENTINE:val1: :val3: :love: :val1: (((((((:hug: )))))))))) rosey :wave:

meowee
02-13-2006, 10:02 PM
We got snowed on again in Nova Scotia . . . but only about 6 to 8 inches. I think the storm wore itself out between New York and Boston before it got up here. From the sounds of things they really got a lot down there.

Trust me, you don't have to be from Idaho to be crazy for potatoes, Lil. But I guess being from famous potato country doesn't make you dislike them. :D Hope our other potato-lover, Dianne, does OK on her little truck-trip. :bike: Guess we'll find out when she gets back.

Not that I recommend that you eat lots of chocolate, Rosey, but there are worse things for your glucose levels than good chocolate and from everything I've heard Dove is pretty good. :yes: Real chocolate is a very high fat food but it doesn't have as much sugar as things labelled as being "chocolate flavoured candy". Definitely not a free-food though, so be careful, you might not get so lucky next time. Your husband sounds like a real sweety.

Well, looks like it is my bed-time. See you all soon and have a great evening everybody, :carrot: and dream about chocolate valentine hearts. Dreaming about them is much more slimming. :val1:

sapphire9
02-13-2006, 10:30 PM
Hi all. I'm finally getting a chance to check in. Been busy at work all day, then had to do my taxes. Yuck! I've been eating a lot the last few days. Almost a binge. When I weighed in Saturday I was up a lb. But that didn't stop me. Happened on a champagne tasting on Saturday and they were giving away free chocolates. I put the little box in the fridge to save it, but the devil made me eat it last night after an illegal meal.:devil: I have my A1c in the morning. I'm sure it's going to go up. Have to fast for that so no big dinner tonight anyway. Maybe I can lose a couple of lbs before official weigh-in tomorrow night. I'm thinking of dropping out of the fasting program since I haven't been very faithful, but it's the only thing that's worked and I have so much farther to go. Sigh.
Happy valentine's all.:val3: :dust:

gmalil
02-14-2006, 12:44 AM
I guess we all do it! Isn't it greaet that we can have a new beginning every morning!?!?
Thanks ROSEY for the exercises. They came today.
I almost forgot that tomorrow is Valentines Day! YIKES, I have things hidden for DH. I'll have to sneak them out in the morning before he gets up.
:val1:
Beware of chocolates tomorrow!
LIL

spicydiva
02-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Hi all
Thanks for the support and encouragement. Meowee..Know what snow and cold are like, I am in Winnipeg. The struggle continues today and I will try to visit this site more often. I think you all will be a great support for me.:crossed:

meowee
02-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Happy Valentine's Day to everybody . . .:val2: Glad to see you all.

Glad you got your exercises, Dianne. Mine have not made it yet. Canada Customs probably has them at the border trying to figure out how they can charge duty, taxes, and importation fees on an envelope. :dunno:

Good luck with the A1C, Rosetta. You know, over the years, we find ways to fool ourselves with our daily testing routines (mostly timing tricks). but you can't fool the A1C since it is an average of the past 3 months. And . . . since it is a percentage . . . it is the only blood glucose measurement we actually have in common (canada/USA). Sooooo, I wish you an A1C below 7. :D

Have agreat day, gang. Here's a little :dust: for us all. :carrot:

akrosey49
02-14-2006, 03:20 PM
Morning everyone..its sunny here today..meowee..sry you havent gotton the pkg yet..let me know when it arrives if not ill send another copy..since i did my housework yesterday im playing with my scrapbooks and sorting pictures.. i do an album every yr and im 2 yrs behind now..my grkids are very muchly photographed kids:smug: besides it keeps me busy and not focused on food to have fun projects to work on.. ..tell the people that are important in your life that you love them today..and to all of my new friends in here thankyou for all the support..good luck on your tests rosetta.. a few bad days shouldnt affect the total overall..((((((((:hug: ))))))))) rosey:wave:

meowee
02-14-2006, 03:41 PM
Me again . . . I just read Suzanne's post at the beginning of each forum page. DON'T FORGET TO CHANGE YOUR SIGNATURE BEFORE IT DISAPPERS FOREVER.

Renya
02-14-2006, 11:03 PM
meowee - Thanks for the information. I'm not sure I'm doing this right though.

meowee
02-15-2006, 07:25 AM
Good Morning, World . . .

Happy to be able to report that I managed to send another 2 ugly pounds to "ugly-pound-heaven" this past week. Also pleased to be able to report a BS reading of 4.7 (85) this morning. A great day so far. And . . . the radio is telling me the sun will be coming out a little later on.

Hope you all have a good day, too. See you soon. :carrot:

Ruthxxx
02-15-2006, 09:23 AM
Great reading, Meowee. I've been "forgetting to test these mornings. Hmmmm. My next HA1C will show what's happening but I'd better get with it. Maybe putting the testing kit out before bedtime will remind me.
Sorry I don't post in here much. The South Beach Forum andother site stuff keeps me pretty busy.

akrosey49
02-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Hi everyone.. its quiet her this am.. the hubby has gone to his aquatic physical therapy( he had back surg and is disabled and still has alot of pain).. and im enjoying being by myself..i am a people person but its nice to be alone once in awhile..my sl was 112 this am..had cheese and fruit for supper last night.. i just wasnt hungry but knew i needed to eat something..thats a hard concept to get in my head.. even tho i need to loose weight and to do that eat less.. what to eat and what not to..and being diabetic where you have to eat is frustrating at times...meowee.. congrats on the loss..thats awsome:cp: ..so rosetta how did your tests go?? good i hope..have a great day everyone((((((:hug: ))))))) rosey:wave:

creations
02-15-2006, 02:15 PM
Hi Everyone!
Got a surprise this afternoon from UPS. He brought me a free BD Logic Blood Glouse moniter with a sample of test strips. They said it was a reward for my loyalty to BD diabetes products
So myabe this will get me on the ball to test every morning.
Right now I'm having trouble with snacking all day long. Have a weigh in in the morning(if we don't get the freezing rain they're talking about)

Renya
02-15-2006, 08:11 PM
Hi all, Does anybody besides me have a problem with needing to eat every two hours? I will eat something and then two hours later I'm starving.

Thanks for any responses, Renya

hefty1
02-15-2006, 09:51 PM
welcome renya. ilove your dog. last week i lost 8 lb.s :) glen

akrosey49
02-15-2006, 10:11 PM
WoooooooooHoooo mr ken.. thats an awsome weight loss wtg:cp: ((((((hugs()))))) rosey :wave:

gmalil
02-16-2006, 12:29 AM
Renya, I was told to have a carb snack (15 grams) mid morning, mid aftenoon and in the evening, it helps keep the BS level. I try to choose something that will be filling, and hold me over til lunch. I've pretty much gotten over that starving feeling.
Good luck.

meowee
02-16-2006, 09:18 AM
It's warm and sunny this morning in Nova Scotia . . . although I'm sure we'll get another cold spell soon.

Hefty . . . We are following each other around this morning. Congrats again, my boy.

Renya . . . Listen to Lillie . . . sounds like you need to eat a little more. What are you eating? But don't worry about eating often. More frequent smaller meals is a great way to keep your BS level.

Hey, Rosey, hows the weather up there?

Have agreat day, everybody and keep smiling. :carrot:

creations
02-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Gained .8 this week will have to keep better track of what I'm eating.

akrosey49
02-16-2006, 03:19 PM
Morning everyone.. its a fine day today:D ..its cloudy out but above freezing..ive been working on my picture scrapbook albums and spent last night printing pictures..its a great winter time hobby..my sl were to low for me this am 94.. i know thats good but i feel better when they are a little higher..low levels make me feel grumpy.. does that happen to any of you?? creations sry you gained..you will do better this week.. writing down every thing you eat and drink helped me..its surprizing what a little bite here or there will do( including a bag of chocolate:?: )..i have not stepped on my scale since the dr office a month ago.. im just to chicken..dont want the bad news..cant deal with it right now.. altho except for the chocolate ive been pretty good..renya.. you do need to eat more.. try a carb and some protein so it stays with you longer.. actually the diet experts say small frequent meals are better for you.. well the hubby is finally up and will want breakfast( at lunch time :o ) retirement keeps its own weird hours..but thats a ggod thing..have a great day everyone (((((((((:hug: ))))))))) rosey:wave:

sapphire9
02-16-2006, 04:02 PM
Hi, all. Well, at the official weighin I was up a lb. :( This was the first time this has happened since I've been on the program. Am having a difficult time getting back in gear. Sigh. Rosey, I don't find out about my A1c results until I see the doc next week.
Our weather here in San Francisco has turned cool (40s). (I know Rosey and Meowee this is like a heat wave for you). I love it. Wish it would stay this way for half a year. I feel better, more energized.
Renya - I am rarely hungry even on a 500 calorie fast, so I don't know what to say. Are you checking your blood sugar when you get hungry? It might be too low, in which case you should eat more.
Glen - congrats on the 8 lbs.:carrot:

creations
02-16-2006, 05:19 PM
JUst found out our new insurance won't pay for my test strips and syringes. The company my husband retitred from was sold and the new company won't pay for retirees. So we had to go with a cobra plan. We have 5.5 years for medicare.
Just what we needed more stress.

Renya
02-16-2006, 08:50 PM
Thanks to all of you for the advice. I am following Weight Watchers and am eating a snack between meals. By the time snack time arrives, my head is reeling and my ears are ringing. I will try more carbs.

meowee
02-17-2006, 07:51 AM
Good Morning, everybody. . . sounds like our cold weather is on the way. Predicted high today is +10 (about 50). Predicted high tomorrow is -10 (about 14).

Oh wow, Creations . . . you are having some bad news. Don't worry about the little weight gain, though. It will soon be gone again. Yours, too, Rosetta, it's only a temporary setback. It certainly sounds like you're having a good day, Rosey. Glad to hear it. Renya . . . Definitely sounds like you are describing a low sugar event. Check your glucose level the next time you feel like that. I think you're on the right track. Adding to your carb intake a bit should take care of things.

I had a bad day yesterday . . . foodwise. Stayed within my overall goal for calories but ate far too much carb all at one sitting (called lunch). At dinner time my BS was still 15 (270) so all I had was 4 ounces of cheese. This morning I was actually surprised that it was down to 4.2 (75). Don't know why I go off on these tangents once in a while. I certainly know better. :mad: Oh well, hopefully today will be better.

Have a good one, gang. :carrot: We'll see you soon.

akrosey49
02-17-2006, 02:29 PM
Morning everyone:coffee2: its raining this am..hubby is at water therapy..and im alone for awhile and loving it for now..sl are good.. and have nothing planned for the weekend.. hope you all have a nice weekend with good food choices..(((((((:hug: ))))))))) rosey :wave:

meowee
02-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Hey Rosey . . . I got the package today . . . many thanks. Now I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

Dianne E
02-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Good morning everyone! I am back just for the day, spending another week out on the road with hubby to avoid the incoming ice storms we have warnings about in mississippi :(

I was a bad girl out on the road, pigged out on a buffet dinner (seriously badly) and finished it off with a slice of midnight cravings triple chocolate cake.. omg BAD me. Back on the wagon again lol! On the whole however my SL's have been pretty stable hovering around 110-120, can't complain there really.

I am down 16lbs however! woohoooo! Stocked up on salad stuff for the truck again this morning and back out heading to San Antonio TX as of tomorrow. Wish me luck again!

Glad to see you all seem to be doing ok, sorry to hear about your insurance Creations. Thats a blow, we have the same trouble with ours, but most insurance companies turn me down flat these days regardless of my Diabetes because I am still recovering from the third bout of cancer right now. I miss the good old National Health Service back in England sometimes...free for the most part and never turned away.

Meowee, I broke my peddler! If you ordered one, be careful not to have the tension knob turned to much as the pedal bar overheats with friction and fractures!!!!!... awaiting my replacement at this time sigh.

Ah well, back to my rush of laundry in preparation of the trip.

See you gals next week!!!!

*huggles* -Dianne

akrosey49
02-18-2006, 01:53 PM
Morning everybody:coffee: its sunny today and i have been up with the birds..trying to clear up some of the clutter that accumlates while im having fun crafting..i can see my counter tops now and the dishes are done..oh my thats good for me:carrot: ..my 8 yr old grdd called and wants to spend the night.. so i will be busy..she loves to do projects with me and play with my craft stuff..and pound nails in the garage with grpa..we spoil them..sl was 94 this am..and im feeling pretty good..meowee am so glad you got the exercises..hope thats what you were looking for.. the first couple of days my legs hurt..but now im up to 15 reps of each but still have to hold chair or counter..but im doing it right:D so hope it helps you too..dianne.. sounds like fun traveling with the hubby..creations.. that just stinks loosing medical care like that..i guess we are lucky as when dh retired we got good beneifits esp for perscriptions..maybe there's other programs out there that would help..i see them on tv.. free perscriptions from drug companies..just a thought..well i had better get dressed and a bit more organized before the grkid get heres..i luv being a grma:love: have agreat weekend all((((((hugs)))) rosey :wave:

meowee
02-18-2006, 03:21 PM
Oh wow . . . I've been going crazy. Internet got knocked out by the violent wind and ice storms we had in Eastern Canada last night and it just came back up. Several bad accidents between Toronto and Moncton yesterday. I mean 50/60 vehicle pileups with many serious injuries and a couple of deaths. I'm concerned that I haven't heard from any of my on-line buddies in that region yet. Hopefully everyone is just fine and cuddled up in front of the fire.

Dianne . . . that is a wonderful loss, chickie. And really good BS readings considering what you've been eating. Have another good week on the road and don't forbid yourself every good and yummy thing out there, but do try to take it easy with those high sugar carbs. In the long run they will catch up with you.

Rosey . . . Haven't done too much yet but I'll get there. Discovered a wrinkle on the first exercise because I was doing it wrong . . . if you sit too far back in the chair, it really makes you feel it in your abdominals instead of the upper leg. Think I'll do some right and some wrong from now on.:D

Have a great day, gang. See you soon :carrot:

Dianne E
02-19-2006, 12:34 PM
For when I get back (about to leave out here) Could someone leave me a note about what exactly is the right amount of carbs to have daily for a diabetic on a low cal/low sodium/no sugar diet? I'm still a touch confused about the whole thing. I'm just looking for new ways to eat meals and plan things and still trying to get to terms with understanding the nutrition panels on food packets lol! (not very bright somedays is me yanno!)

Be good girls and I'll see you next weekend hopefully depending on ice storms and power outages!

*hugs* - Dianne

Ruthxxx
02-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Well, I have from 100 to 150 grams of carbs per day try for 1/3 fat, 1/3 carbs and 1/3 protein plus 20-35 grams of fiber. I use fitday to check. PM me if you want more details.

meowee
02-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Tough question, Dianne, and one you really need to discuss with your own doctor or Diabetes Education Centre. Everyone's body tends to react a little differently.

As a general rule of thumb, 150 to 180 grams of carbs a day is about my usual average and I try to spread them fairly evenly across the day in order to keep BS readings as level as possible.

Strictly from the point of view of diabetic control, all carbs are more or less created equal because your body turns them all into glucose to be able to metabolize them. However . . . in the real world, all carbs are definitely not created equal. When you are trying to lose weight, especially, it is important to get the best nutrition and the lowest calories out of your allowable carbohydrates. Highly refined carbs (mostly white sugar, white flour, and things made mainly from them) are very lacking in actual nutritional value and have the additional drawback of being very quickly and easily digested which tends to spike your BS levels.

The reason I warned you about watching your high-sugar content carbs is because rich and gooey desserts and chocolate-type stuff can be especially deceptive. The excess sugar and flour carbs are usually wrapped up with a lot of fat. The addition of the fat slows the absorption rate of the carbohydrate. Consequently, you don't see the result of the over indulgence in your BS readings very quickly and this can lull you into a sense of false security. (Not to mention the effect the extra calories have on other parts of the body :( )

Years ago my DEC advised me never to eat anything "white" unless it was milk or yogurt. I've not always followed that advice, but that doesn't mean it wasn't in my thoughts. :^:

Anyway, that is enough of my blathering for a bit. Take care of yourselves everybody. See you soon. :carrot:

akrosey49
02-19-2006, 07:19 PM
Hi evryone.. the little munchkin has gone home and i finally have sometime to myself..we had fun but she sure can keep her grma busy and grpa too..i count servings of carbs and alow myself 2 -3 servings per meal.. a serving is portioned controlled and is usually 15 grms..the dietician told us to take a fasting bs test.. then eat a carb.. wait 2 hrs.. test again.. if the reading was above 160.. the food was either to much carb or protion size for us..when we eat the sl go up and then come back down..thats normal..but after eating if the sl is not 160 or lower too much carb.. every body reacts diff to foods.. so by testing this way we get abetter idea about what and how much we can eat and stay within the right sl..after awhile you get to know what works and doesnt for yourself.. read your labels and get a carb counting book.. you go thru alot of strips at first but then you know what you can have..and yes if its white or you cant wash it you probably should be careful eating it:?:..maybe a class would help you..it did me..sl was 111 this am but i had some ice cream with the grdd before bed.. still a good reading tho..hope you all are having a good weekend..im pooped..((((((hugs))))))) rosey :wave:

meowee
02-20-2006, 06:21 PM
Where are you . . . I've been having such a wierd day, I was sure I'd be the last one to check in, today . . . but I'm the first? I miss you, gang.

akrosey49
02-20-2006, 09:47 PM
Hey.. im here now.. so what can i do to make your day better? would a hug help(((((((((:hug: )))))))).. so whats weird about today?? i had a quiet day.. the dh went to town to get one item and was gone all day.. i thought only women did that :rofl: but hes been really bored this winter..so i had a nice uneventful day..so where is every one???:mag: ..(((((((((:hug: )))))))))) for all rosey:wave:

meowee
02-21-2006, 08:45 AM
Wow . . . this is beginning to look like our own private chat room, Rosey. Thanks for the :hug: . A hug always helps. Yesterday was all upside backward for me for some reason.

Anyway today is looking a lot better. It is warming up a little and the sun is shining. I'm off to the store today. My favourite canned soup is on sale for less than 1/2 price so I plan to stock up for the rest of the winter -- however long that may be. Hopefully it won't take me as long as your husband's little outing from yesterday. :D

Have a great day. I'm sure some others will show up soon. :carrot:

creations
02-21-2006, 09:51 AM
Had a good day yesterday,hope I can continue for the rest of the week.
Sunday the kids were here for dinner and I overdid it everyway possible. My stomach was up set all nite.
Our 13 month dranddaughter was here such a joy. But she hasn't gained any weight since 9 months,17.4lbbs. Everyone is starting to worry about her including the dr. Said if she doesn't start growing by May,they will run tests.
Everyone have a great week.

hefty1
02-21-2006, 10:18 AM
:wave: hi meow it's cold here and i haven't out much. my arthritis in my hip was sore which makes hard to walk. ttfn :) glen

nosugarmomma
02-21-2006, 11:23 AM
Well I gained two pounds. But I am trying harder this week:( . I just can not seem to lose the weight. My whole problem is that I love food. I really do. Any kind of food there is not much I do not like. But I am trying I really am. I have to go to the doctor for my foot. I have a shooting pain in it and it is driving me crazy. Well just wanted to let ya all know I am still here. Hope everyone is doing fine.

akrosey49
02-21-2006, 01:52 PM
Well goodmorning everyone:coffee2: its so pretty here this am.. the suns out and this time of yr i crave the sun..the dh wasnt shopping all that time he went to a friends for coffee and got cought up in the bs stories:D we live 18 miles from town..im going to plan a games night for this week if i can get all our friends together.. i think we are tired of winter blahs and some fun is in order..everyone brings what they want to drink and a munchie and then we play cards, dominoes or trivial pursuit..should be fun.. its great to see more posts in here..meowee glad this day is better for you..mr ken sry for the bad hip.. i can relate..creations arent grkids great..nusugar sry for the sore foot and the gain.. you can do it..we all can..((((((((((:hug: )))))))))) for all have a wonderful day evryone..gee i feel good today:D rosey :wave:

creations
02-21-2006, 05:24 PM
Went and walk around Kmart for about a hlf hour just to get out of the house and move. Too cold to walk outside. Been working on redoing my craft room so will go down there tonite for awhile. Anything to stay away from food.Yes,I enjoy my granddaughters.

meowee
02-22-2006, 08:19 AM
Well, gang, I'm a little depressed this morning.

One of those "but I did everything right" scale experiences. I must have tried 25 times to get a consistent reading out of the stupid thing but the digital demon :devil: is alive and well and living in my scale. It's all over the place. Everything from down 3 (would be nice) to up 2 (please no). So I've decided to settle on "stayed the same" as being the lesser of evils. As I've said many times before, "this too will pass". :^: Sometimes "onward and sideways" is the best you can get.

It's also snowing out there which means no sun so it looks a little depressing outside too which kind of suits my mood. At least my BS was OK at 5.2 (93). And, yesterday's soup shopping and haircut outing was just fine. So all in all, I guess I'm a strong mediocre and holding.:yes:

Hope all the rest of you have a really great day. :carrot:

akrosey49
02-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Morning everyone.. another sunny day here but windy.. the dh has gone to his water physical therapy..just found out that my mom(whos 83) and all 3 of my sisters are coming to visit in june..im so excited:carrot: ..my mom hasnt been here in 9 yrs and my sisters never.. they are from minnesota. and one sister from california.. we are going to have such fun...meowee am sorry you are depressed that dang old scale can sure do a number on our self esteem:?: thats why i dont weigh very often and go more by how my clothes fit than anything else..i think we have a similar sense of humour.. even when your not tip top you are funny.. did you know that?? by making good choices for ourselves even if the scale doesnt say so we are helping ourselves to be healthier..sooooo have a better day.. do you have hobbies.. i find i can feel better by doing something i love.. like sewing or scrapbooking or designing and making beaded jewlery..crocheting etc etc.. and then theres always a good book:) ..thats why there are giant dust bunnies living in my house as id rather play than do house work..id go nuts without all my hobbies..so what do all of you do for fun??(((((((((:hug: ))))))))) for all and have the best day possible rosey:wave:

meowee
02-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks, Rosey, I've been told I'm funny before . . . but as they say . . . looks aren't everything. :D Yes, I know what you mean about hobbies. . . I do all the needling type things, too. Anyway, I think you know me well enough by now to know that nothing keeps me down for long. See you soon. :carrot:

Dianne E
02-22-2006, 08:19 PM
Hey gang, got a few moments to stop in and say hewwo. Hubby had a delivery in the local area so stopping at home for a shower before heading out again for the rest of the week.
Another 2lbs gone! woohooo, not sure where its gone from tho heheh. Trying to be a good gal out here, so difficult!

Thanks for the carb/calorie advise ladies, it's much appreciated. I think I may see if I can get a class or two to learn some more, but I think I am doing ok so far by muddling through.

See you at the weekend!

-Dianne

meowee
02-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Yooooo Hooooo Where are yoooooo ???

akrosey49
02-23-2006, 02:54 PM
Morning everyone.. its snowing sideways out...i want spring and thats a long way off by the looks of it..i had apoor nite of sleep last nite.. everything ached :?: ..was going to the store today but think ill pass on that.. im really concerned that i wont be as mobil as i would like when my family gets here in june.. i want to be able to keep up with them and now i move like an injured turtle..i am doing the exercises and being more careful of calories..nothing like incentive to get me in gear..but a weight loss would help.. so please feel free to kick me in the big old hind end and remind me of my goal..i know its our own choices and i have been lagging and procrastinateing cuz its easier..sooooo rosey old girl get with the program..now that ive given my self a pep talk how are all of you??? ((((((hugs)))))) rosey :wave:

hefty1
02-23-2006, 08:35 PM
hi rosey put a lock on your fridge. :lol: get off your behind and you will be. :)
glen

akrosey49
02-23-2006, 09:11 PM
Thankyou mr ken thats exactly what i need..and soooo instead of sitting on my butt today i did go to town after taking advil( my best friend) and walked around the mall 2x..and bought fresh fruit and vegies and no chocolate..im tired and still sore but proud that i did something today besides feel sorry for me..and its still snowing out..im tired of snow..well hope you all accomplished something today that you are happy about..(((((hugs))) rosey:wave:

gmalil
02-24-2006, 10:27 AM
I didn't know it had been so long since I checked in here.:dizzy:
meowee Hope you are feeling better. a haircut and shopping sound like good medicine!
akroseyI can identify with your image of feeling like I'm moving like an injured turtle!:rofl: How exciting that your family is going to visit!!
I'm a big crafter too. I have a nice craft room out back with ceramic kilns etc. Can't be eating when my hands are in clay! or when I'm, cutting glass!
I'm having my foot surgery next Thursday, so have some needlework lined up to work on then. My d-i-l gave me a bunch of rubber stamps, so have been having fun with them too.
I've had some problems with my carbs.:o I bought several items that are packed in 1 carb (15 gram) servings, but I over do with them, eating more than one! My BS has gone back up over 120 all week. :( So won't buy those again!
I need to clean out the fridge and go shopping and stock up on healthy things for dh to cook up while I am off my feet.
Must go, it is my day to volunteer at the hospital gift shop.
Have a great one!!

msfez
02-24-2006, 11:00 AM
Hello Everybody. May I join your group? I am a 51 year old Type 1 diabetic.I have been on a low carb plan for the last couple of years. Well, I try to be when I'm not lusting after a Chocolate Cake or any other sweets I'm not supposed to eat.

creations
02-24-2006, 02:06 PM
It seems like we all like our sweets.
Ate a package of the peep chicks yesterday. Went in the $1 store and there they were. Been working down in my craft room rearranging it so I can find something when I need it. Also trying to stay out of trouble.
Its still cold here,acouple of my flowers are trying to poke their heads thru the dirt.

akrosey49
02-24-2006, 02:21 PM
Morning everyone.. sunny but below zero here this am..i too am working on crafts today as i did the house work yeaterday and the shopping and soooooo i can play and not feel those dust bunnies taunting me.. i like to do so many diff things but now i am working on a quilt and doing my scrapbooks..creations i love those peeps and have ahard time resisting them ..msfez welcome to our group, i love chcolate too..gmalil.. lucky to have acraft room.. mine is whereever i can see the tv:o i have my stamping stuff.beading stuff..etc in craft organizers like a small dresser on wheels and i can move them where ever.. usually the dining rm..my kids tease me as i they say they are always picking up threads and glitter etc on their socks:rofl: :dunno: and the grkids call them crafty fluffs..so what are they doing to your foot?? or am i to nosey..i had a bad foot for several months and can sympathize..hope it goes well for you..well must get busy and enjoy the quiet time while the dh is at therapy..sometimes i like being alone.. and with the dh retired that doesnt happen real often..its been a longggggggggggg winter..have agreat day everyone (((((((hugs)))))))) and be good to yourselves..with good choices and exercise..i did mine allready this morning..:carrot: rosey :wave:

meowee
02-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Hello from Nova Scotia . . .

The temperature has climbed above freezing and all the pretty tree sparkles are melting away. But I really don't mind, this winter (as strange as it may be) has definitely lasted long enough.

I could just strangle all of you for remining me that all the stores have the Easter goodies on the shelves. So far I've resisted, but I know I won't last. I too love chocolate (are there any women that don't). And just like you, creations and gmalil , my biggest problem with either Easter treats or even "good" treats is knowing how to stop before the package is completely empty. :o I'm trying to plan ahead since tomorrow is my birthday. I know I'll have some kind of eating disaster (but not planning for it to be chocolate) but am hoping to keep it to a minimum.

Bought myself a new scale today . . . another digital. It will probably prove just as temperamental as the old one but it has a slightly bigger place to stand on and I'm hoping that will make me less wiggly when I'm trying to weigh myself. I read somewhere that movement is the biggest deterrent to accurate weight. So far I've gotten the same number out of both of them without too much trouble, although I don't particularly like the number.:mad:

Here's a great big, welcoming :hug: for you msfez. Glad to have you with us and hope you'll be dropping by often. Do you find low carb is working well for your diabetes? My Diabetes Education Centre has always maintained that even a diabetic should be eating about 50% carbs. Is that just being old-fashioned?

Glad to hear you are having a great day, Rosey. I'm bad this week and am still trying to get the laundry done. Haven't run out of underwear yet, so everything is still OK. ;)

Have a great evening everybody. See you tomorrow. :carrot:

Renya
02-24-2006, 04:52 PM
Hi everybody. The sun is shining and the temperature is in the 50s here in Oklahoma City.

I am wondering if any of you suffer from nausea because of diabetes? I have had this problem since December and my doctor says it is probably the dibetes causing it.

Thanks,
Renya

gmalil
02-24-2006, 06:29 PM
WElcome msfez!:welcome2:
Creations, CHEEPS!! AARRGGHH, I can never stop with less than the whole package, after all, they would dry out wouldn't they, if i didn't eat them all??:rofl: REarranging crafts is an all time job isn't it! It is never quite right. I'm so blessed to have a whole room for my mess.
rosey! I love the 'crafty fluffs" Out of the mouths of babes! No, you are not a 'nosey rosie', wondering about the old foot. :) I have a bunion and a hammer toe, that are starting to cause pain, so will get them both fixed. he will cut the bunion out of the big toe, and put in a screw to hold things where they are supposed to be and cut part of the bone from the next toe and insert a pin to straighten it out. the pin will later be removed. I picked up the post-op boot that I am to wear for 6 weeks, it is like a ski boot! Humongous!
Renya, sorry about the nausea, are you eating enough? when my sugar gets low,I feel sick.

all for now, "keep on keeping on"!

msfez
02-24-2006, 08:44 PM
Thank you all for such a warm welcome. I sew and love crafts too so I will probably whineing next time I mess one of them up. I'm sitting here right now looking at a pack of those yellow peeps. My DH brought 2 packs home this afternoon...ate one and the other is trying to talk to me. I wish He would hurry up and them chickens.

Yes Meowee, I've done real well on low carb. I had a lot of problems controlling my blood sugar because of my Rheumatoid arthritis. Pain made it go up so bad when I checked it the monitor would only say HI. Then I would usually take too much insulin and go too low. It almost drove me crazy. I guess when you run high like I do most of the time it's better if you leave carbs alone.

I gotta go move those peeps to the top cabinet so I don't have to look them. Have a nice evening everybody.

Dianne E
02-24-2006, 09:56 PM
Hi again all, just lil ole me peeking in from the road trip. Decided to take another week out there, been having a lot of fun with hubby out there this time around and it sure beats sitting at home watching the rain or the snow outside.

BS have been a little wacky since I started this road trip, hovering around the 100-110's mostly, but they are getting lower slowly again. Making sure I keep a stock of my Sugar Free Jello's and salad items in the small fridge helps a lot! I swear I drag half of my kitchen out on the road with me each time we leave the house lol! (including measuring cup and spoons!)

Finally hit a mini goal for myself, 20lbs gone to the pound-graveyard. I still don't actually see any difference to be honest, but today while wandering around my local Wal-Mart I decided to grab a blouse that I already have one of but in the size smaller, rushed into the changing room and it fit! Hubby apparently heard the "whoopeeeee" from 3 isles away.

Got my replacement peddler this morning also, here's hoping this one doesn't break. Nice and small to take on the truck to so I have NO excuse now not to excersise.

Welcome to our little corner of the world MsFez nice to meet you! I feel your pain regarding easter candy right now, my downfall is Cadbury's Creme Eggs *shiver* dear god I could eat half a dozen of the darn things if I had the opportunity... I'm going to resist... as much as is humanly possible however /grin
Gmali Good luck with that operation, I shall envision you cluncking around in your "Ski-Boot" for 6 weeks! Not exactly the cutest of footwear is it! lol
Renya I only seem to get nausea when I am to high, 250+ on SL, don't have the problem as a rule generally however, wish I could be of more help to you.

Well m'Dears, you all have a wonderful week and I shall be back next weekend to bug you some more.

*hugs* - Dianne

meowee
02-24-2006, 10:17 PM
Just thought I'd say a quick goodnight to everyone . . . and just look at all the everyones there are in here since last I looked. . . so HI and :hug: 's all round.

Someday, when we are both 20 pounds underweight, Dianne, we'll have a Cadbury's Egg Eating contest. Half a dozen is waaaaaay too feeeew.

Yep, Renya, I agree with both Lillie and Dianne, nausea can be a symptom of both hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia. Next few times it happens, check your BS and you might be able to discern a pattern.

I'm going to have to discuss lower carbs with my doctor, msfez, although right now I'm caught between the proverbial rock and hard place since the biggest problem I'm having since I've been cutting my calories is middle of the night hypos and I'm trying to eat an extra carb before going to bed. I think the answer to that is that I need to lower my bedtime insulin dosage, but I hesitate to do that without talking to the doctor, either.

Anyway, have agreat and restful night, gang. We'll see you tomorrow. :carrot:

creations
02-24-2006, 10:38 PM
Peeps are good after they dry out too!

gmalil
02-25-2006, 12:12 AM
:woo: HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEOWEE!!
MAKE YOUR DAY IS A SPECIAL GIFT TO YOURSELF!:gift:
LILLIE

meowee
02-25-2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks, Lillie. It's Rosettastone's birthday, too, but we haven't heard from her in a while. If you're out there, girl, :hat: hope it's a good one.

hefty1
02-25-2006, 08:53 AM
:hat: meow and rose :) glen

Dianne E
02-25-2006, 09:36 AM
Happy Birthday Meowee and Rose!

creations
02-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Happy Birthday Meowee and Rose.

akrosey49
02-25-2006, 01:20 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Rosetta and Meowee..:cheer: :hat: :cheer: hope you both have agreat day((((((((hugs)))))))))) rosey :wave:

msfez
02-25-2006, 07:34 PM
Hello Everyone:wave: Just popped it to see what's going on. Yes Lord and Dianne E...Cadbury Cream Eggs! I forgot about those. Someone could put a pack in my cart by mistake...and...

Happy Birthday Meowee and Rose. Meowee you are probably going to have to adjust your evening shot. If you're not confortable doing it yourself it would probably be safer to talk to your Doctor. When I first started low carb I was going low during the day and at night. I had to make a lot of adjustments. Just lower one unit at a time and do it a couple of days and see what it did to my blood sugar. It's sort of a trial and error process. However, some Doctors don't like for you to do it on your own. You know your situation better than I do. I usually eat some protein with my bedtime snack it seems to keep me from going low.

Gotta go...Mrs Harris is coming on HBO tonight. Bye.

akrosey49
02-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Morning everyone:coffee2:i hope the birthday girls had a great day..nothing planned for today.. so far.. very lazy.. sunday paper and coffee..how traditional is that:) ..its sunny and still cold..im going to try and get the dh out of the house and take me to dinner..i just dont feel like cooking..since we have new people here and we dont know alot about each other.. i will start by saying.. ive been happily married to by hubby for 37 yrs.. we live in alaska in a log house we built ourselves.. i have 2 married daughters and 4 grkids.. 2 boys 2 girls..family is the most impt thing to me and i include my close friends in that group too..all holidays and bdays are usually at our house as we have the most room and i love to entertain and cook and play cards and games..we are retired..my dh is disabled from an oil refinery..i had a day car business in my home for 20 yrs( my day care kids still come and visit me) i love all crafts.. reading and playing bingo..if i could have 3 wishes they would be good health for me and my family..a trip to vegas with my daughters..and have someone finnish and redo my house..sooo what about the rest of you.. id love to know more about you all since we talk in here everyday just about..if im being nosey rosey ill understand.. its just nice to know more about one another...anyways have agreat day everyone((((((hugs))))) rosey :wave:

meowee
02-26-2006, 04:55 PM
Just a quick HI for everybody.:wave: As usual, the boards are pretty quiet on the weekends.

Can't say that yesterday was one of my best low-cal days. It also wasn't one of my worst and when figured into the overall scheme of things; not too bad at all. I guess I do a little version of my own high/low calorie-cycling over the course of a week and feel pretty good about it if I average about 1600 calories a day. Unfortunately, most of my higher days contain a few too many carbs -- at least no fear of a hypo last night. :D I must admit I didn't check my BS at bedtime last night; it was probably fairly high. It was 6.1 (110) this morning. Today is definitely going a lot more smoothly. :)

Have a great evening, buddies. We'll see you all tomorrow. Keep on doing the good stuff. :carrot:

Renya
02-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Happy Birthday one day late.

I think I remember reading earlier on this thread that someone had no insurance to help pay for diabetic supplies. I have just learned about this web site which offers free supplies to those who qualify: http://tinyurl.com/auwxk (http://tinyurl.com/auwxk)

I don't think I have ever introduced myself. I'm 51 and have two daughters. The oldest one is pregnant with her second baby. I have only one granddaughter. The youngest daughter is 22 and still lives at home.

We live in Oklahoma City where the weather has been mild compared to so many of you. My husband and I are both CPAs and I work for him in his office about 2 1/2 miles from our house.

If I had 3 wishes, it would be good health for my family and friends, prosperity for my church, and for my youngest daughter to stop being agnostic. If you gave me one more wish, I'd wish to be as rich as Bill Gates.

Good night all,
Renya

msfez
02-26-2006, 08:22 PM
Hello Everybody:wave:I'm glad everybody had a good day. I didn't do much either. Meowee at least you didn't have to worry about going low. You're numbers seem to have came out of it alright this morning too. Nice to meet you Renya, I'm new too. I hope everybody has a nice evening. Bye.

Mazarin
02-27-2006, 08:54 AM
Hello everyone I just thought I would pop in and say hello again its been a long time,

meowee
02-27-2006, 09:15 AM
Good Morning, everybody . . . It's cold and sunny in Atlantic Canada this am . . . but you never know how long that will last.

Renya . . . just keep coounting your blessings. Agnostic is a long way above Atheist (spelling?) and I don't think the really rich and famous are any happier than the rest of us.

Yes, Msfez, that is certainly true. Yesterday was a much better day. I had a nice veggie lasagna and salad for dinner last night and I think the three starches worth of pasta was just about right for me. I had some fruit and yogurt at bedtime instead of a heavier carb and managed a 3.8 (68) at 8:00 am. A little low but not shaky-low.

Hello to you, too, Mazarin. Please drop in more often. We love to hear from all our friends. :hug:

Have a great day, everybody. Keep on doing all the right things and we will be healthier when next we meet. :carrot:

RebaR
02-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Hey y'all,

I'm new around here and this is actually my first post... I'm a type II diabetic...my blood sugars are under control. I have been frustrated with the weight loss though for a while because some of the meds I was on for the diabetes had the side affect of WEIGHT GAIN!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: UGGGG...but then in October, my doc took me off those and put me on a new one that has the side affect of decreased appetite and weight loss!! woohoo!!! :carrot: I've actually lost 30 pounds since then!!! Looking forward to getting to know y'all better!

Reba

creations
02-27-2006, 06:33 PM
Renya,
Thanks for the information. I have contacted them. Am waiting to hear back.
Thank you,
Judy

msfez
02-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Hello Everybody :wave: I just stopped by on the way to the recliner. Had a rousing day of washing and ironing and am ready to park it for the evening. My usually under control blood sugar went up to 220 due to an unscheduled frozen cream cheese fudge fit. I keep sugar free fudge I make in the freezer so I have something I can eat when I make regular deserts for my family. I keep it in the freezer to keep me out of it. It usually works but I got a magazing, saw a recipe for these chocolate carmel brownies...and went completely out of my mind! Oooo Meowee, Happy pasta day to you. I love veggie lasagna. Hello Reba R, nice to meet you. I'm new too and everybody has just been great. Well I'd better get going, my electric lap cover is probably well preheated by now. Have a nice evening. Bye.

sapphire9
02-27-2006, 09:23 PM
Wow. I've been MIA for awhile and the posts are popping. Thanks for all the birthday wishes.l Happy Belated Mutual Birthday to Meowee.:hat: I celebrated mine by going off my fast. Had a Mexican lunch on Saturday and a nice dinner with champagne (nectar of the gods) in the evening. Well, I binged a bit yesterday and layed around all day because it was raining and I didn't want to go out. I was bad also today. Sigh. I have to weigh in tomorrow night at the clinic and I know it's going to be bad. But now that the birthday madness and all the tension leading up to it is past, I think I can get back on the program.
:welcome: to msfez, reba and renya. This is a good place to share. One of you mentioned nausea. I get it sometimes. Usually when my sugar is high. It helps to eat something.
Saw the endocrinologist last week. I am having high morning blood sugars (180-200) even though my A1c is 5.7. I don't want to go back on Actos because that will make me gain weight, so I'm increasing the Glucophage to 2000 mg a day. If I get back on the fast, the sugar will go down.
My three wishes: Good health, a condo of my own and more close friends. Have a nice evening.

hefty1
02-28-2006, 08:15 AM
:wave: welcome back rose. i haven't been out much either because it's too cold. my bs are up and down. :) glen

akrosey49
02-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Morning everyone:coffee: its so sunny out today that it hurts your eyes.. :flow2:.. i love it.. but still cold..rosetta am happy to see u post.. sry for the morning highs..mine used to do that to and would stay that way now i take glybezide in the am along with glucophage in the evening and my sl have come down to around 104 and stays there thru the day.. in fact nite before last i didnt eat a snack before bed and woke up feeling just awful.. sl to low so had to eat in the middle of the nite:?: here all my life i fought my weight and food issues and now i have to eat..go figure..this is a weird to handle disease at times but im doing it..so maybe glybezide(sp?) would work for u and a plus is it decreases your appetite.. at least it did mine..and a little indulgence on your b-day is ok..youll get back to what works for you..so how are the rest of you today?.. i need to clean up the crafty fluffs and do housework today i hate that but someones gotta do it "sigh"..i guess that would be me..if i was wealthy id hire a house keeper but then id probably clean before the housekeeper came so things wouldnt look so bad :yikes: :rofl: ((((((((((hugs))))))))) rosey :wave: