Old 10-31-2005, 10:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 309/309/220

Height: 5'2"

Default Spaghetti Squash

I see under vegetables that spaghetti squash is allowed on phase 1 but to avoid winter squash. However, I looked up winter squash and it says spaghetti squash is a winter squash. Any comments on this?
mandi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:14 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

It's an exception. It's called a summer squash because it is edible in the summer as soon as it's big enough. It's lower carb because it has less time to ripen on the vine. The ones we get in the winter are picked late summer or early fall as frost damages them and stored. Winter squash can stand some frost and store well without special treatment.

Go for it. It's good stuff. 1 cup cooked is 75 cals, 10 carbs while winter squash (e.g., acorn, butternut, buttercup) is 139 calories and 22 carbs. Check it out on www.fitday.com when in doubt.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 12:22 PM   #3  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Not only is it very tasty, but it's also a great substitute for spaghetti! Try making some for yourself with spaghetti sauce (use one without sugar), veggies, and meat, and serve the same topping on WW spaghetti for the rest of your family.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 10:07 AM   #4  
Who needs sleep?

Be forewarned, however, that it is very, very watery compared to pasta - so it doesn't really work in casseroles and such as a pasta substitute (unless you substantially reduce the liquid, perhaps).
H-ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 11:59 AM   #5  
Kyemom

I must disagree...I don't like it at all, nor does anyone in my family. Guess we all have different tastebuds!! Sorry!
kyemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 06:30 PM   #6  
Who needs sleep?

We don't like it all that well, either. But we eat it once in a great, great while, as it's the closest to a middle ground as exists - DH likes summer squash, which I hate, and I like the less-sweet winter squashes while he hates winter squash. I dislike its texture, and DH hates the wateriness. But we can both tolerate it - once in a while.
H-ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 04:10 PM   #7  
it's always something

I love spaghetti squash, but it has to be cooked just right. If it's not cooked long enough, it can be crunchy, which I don't like. If it's overcooked, it can be mushy. I usually slice it in half and roast it cut side down on a rack, so it's not too watery.

It really tastes good. And it's very easy to grow, too.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 11:08 AM   #8  

I just tried spaghetti squash and I like it, I don't like regular squash but found the spaghetti squash doesn't have much flavor and absorbs the flavors I put in with it. I am not sure the correct way to cook it though, when you say roast it what do you mean? I for now just cook it on the stove and then I will open it and then flavor it like I do regular pasta dishes.
Cancerbaby is offline   Reply With Quote