General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2001, 10:08 AM   #1  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Default Prevention Millennium Diet #62

Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
whole grains, 3-6 servings
high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
Beans - 5+
Nuts - 5
Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
1 c. raw green leaves
3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 rice or bulgar
1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
1 c ff yogurt
1 c calcium fortified O.J.
1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
100% DV multivitamin/mineral
500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
100-400 IU Vit. E
100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed 42 fat grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine

Here is the website address for the Prevention Millennium Diet.

http://www.prevention.com/2000/diet/index.html

This is not necessarily a vegetarian diet. The guidelines summarized above are just that. In interpreting the guidelines, it is helpful to read the sample menus on the website as well as the more detailed principals of the diet.
Old 06-24-2001, 10:19 AM   #2  
Chick

Thumbs down Goodmorning

I thought I'd start a new thread before heading out of town for the next couple of days. D has 2 1/2 consecutive days off so we are going to squeeze in a minor vacation of shopping 'til we drop in Memphis. It'll be fun.

I feel really crappy right now becuase since last Mon. I have been eating like there was no tomorrow. Just feel fat and unhealthy. When I eat junky food, I notice that I don't feel like exercising. The ONLY thing good about it is that I feel so disgusted and bad that I am motivated to make myself feel better by getting a grip. Well, same old story here I guess.

It has been beautiful weather here this weekend, high 80's/low humidity. Wish it could be like this all summer. Can't kayak today because of our trip, but I sure wish I could. See you guys Tues.!
Old 06-26-2001, 02:26 AM   #3  

Default hi, how are you all doing?

My weight stayed the same, but the body fat weight dropped. I have been gardening, hauling wheel barrows about and lifting bags of dirt so maybe I have builty up some muscle. Talk about going nowhere fast...this last six months of weight loss anyway. Sheesh.

The kids don't know when the pups will be born yet, Alice. We didn't know how rare Boston terriers were. The breeder says she gets about 50 calls a month concerning them. But that is the dog they want.

How was Memphis Ledom? See anything you like?

Shebacat, is that cat washed?

How are things Mrs. Yogi?

Wish I had something encouraging to say about weight loss but I it seems like I have been in neutral forever.
Old 06-26-2001, 10:55 AM   #4  

Default Hello everyone!

Yesterday Lacee, the little got hold of a black inked ball point pen. She chewed the point off and now there is black ink on my beige carpet. Does anyone know how to get it out? We put Resolve carpet cleaner on it, when that didn't work we sprayed Oxyclean on it, then DH got out the rug shampooer and tried to shampoo the stain out. We only made it worse. Judi, would your D and BF like a Boston Terrier already here???

Judi~Losing body fat is better than losing lbs. That's great! Congratulations. I am not doing very well in the losing game, my heart just isn't in it. The only thing I am doing is portion control. Hopefully once my knee heals and I start my walking again I will start to lose some of the weight I gained over the winter.

Ledom~It sounds like you and I are in the same slump. I hope you had a great trip to Memphis with your D, and I hope you bought a lot of great things.

Hi! to Shebacat and Mrs. Yogi. Hope you are having a great day. Alice
Old 06-26-2001, 01:39 PM   #5  
Call me BuBu

I'm back…

Ledom, sorry about the junk food. Sounds like the carbs are really doing you in... you'll get back in the groove eventually I'm sure. That kayak is your best friend at this point, I'd say.

Aleka, *bad* best friend! The only suggestion I can make is two little words, "wood floors". Puppies and carpets don't seem to mix very well. We waited until our cats died of old age before we got new beige carpets...

Judi, you're going to be going sleeveless if you keep up that gardening. You're burning, girl, you're burning.

I seem to be over the strep throat/flu etc. Finished the penicillin yesterday * whew * what a pain. Finally getting a little energy back, and am pretty much over the antibiotic hangover, but now my ears are totally plugged up and will have to go in to have them flushed out on Friday morning. I'm feeling completely washed out and probably need to bulk up on some chicken livers to get some iron into me.

I've been taking Floradix iron in liquid form (without the yeast) which is quite nice, and have a slab of cold salmon for dinner tonight, so that should help. In any event, will have the doctor give me a good looksee to follow up on this ordeal to make sure I'm not anaemic or courting mono or something dreadful like that.

I'm feeling somewhat lighter and my pants are getting even looser (am definitely going to have to go to Seattle for a shopping trip soon!), so when I get back to the gym will weigh and report. DH leaving July 9 for an extended tour, so I'll most likely have plenty of time to catch up on the bodywork after that. I might even book me some kayak lessons. We'll see. Going to take it slow and easy and just do walkies in the meantime until I get ALL the energy back.
Old 06-27-2001, 10:25 AM   #6  
Chick

Angry Goodmorning

Ever the eternal optomist. I am starting over today. I thought about it all weekend on my little mini vacation. I have reviewed the diet, and am journaling, keeping track of calories and fat grams as it suggests.

judi, way to go on the the body composition. Mrs. Yogi, good for you and the loose pants. Alice, I guess we'll just have to look to these girls to keep us motivated and help pull us out of our slump. Shebacat, how are you doing dietwise these days?

The trip to Memphis was fun. I didn't shop for myself much with the exception of the outdoor outfitters. I bought 2 new hats and a d-ring and some glue to attach it to the kayak. And then, of course, the bookstore set me back a little. Not much fun trying on clothes when you are feeling fat. D, got some cute new things though. Mostly it was just fun to hang out with her. There was somehting going on in town so we had a hard time finding a room. We ended up in a very expensive, but very nice room that had a balcony facing Beale Street. We had free blues everynight until 12:30. I enjoyed the music and just hanging in the room.
Old 06-28-2001, 02:55 AM   #7  

Default evenin' all

Ledom: The Memphis trip sounded ! Sometimes it is good when are forced to take a little luxury, eh? That is what I love about New Orleans the sound of music late into the night. I have never been to Memphis and would love to go. I have been buying books too. And a lot of gardening and cooking magazines. Ahh heck, its money enjoyably spent.

Alice: My daughter heard of a brindle male Boston terrier in the interior of BC. The breeders have had a lot of calls and they want a commitment for whoever gets the dog to show it as far as it can go. My D is so excited, so I hope she will be able to get it. Ms. Lacee sounds like quite a personality. I know when Marley was teething he chewed the back of a wonderful book that my husband bought me as a gift from the gallery in Washington DC. These little things go with dogs . My main floor of the house smells like pee, (kind of a good thing Parasha can't climb stairs anymore) and I am always running around with a mop and disinfectant. The vet is going to give her some medication to stop her from whizzing so much...hope it works. Good thing my floors are slate too. My apologies to anyone reading this who is not a dog lover more information than what is needed.

How are you feeling Mrs. Yogi? Do you sometimes go on trips with the DH? Have fun shopping in Seattle! Once we stayed at the Four Seasons hotel in downtown Seattle for about a week, now that was amazing! It was on expense account (that the DH got in trouble for and was told to find a cheaper hotel or else!!!) but it was so nice to be downtown and the hotel is right across from what is (I think) the original Starbucks. Alas, I doubt if that will ever be a repeatable experience.

I have been gardening and today I was in such pain from the work for awhile I seriously considered buying a cane to help me walk. What agony. It was the bending, the dragging, the lifting etc. but I do have some nice things to show for it. The H*%# of it is I KNOW that I would not be feeling so bad if I weighed less and was in better shape. It is just rough on the joints.

I am with you Ledom...lets start a "new" start...we just need to see some progress and not concern ourselves with doing things flawlessly.

Shebacat, have you washed that cat yet?

Have a good night all. Long weekend coming up! Yahoo!

Last edited by judi; 06-28-2001 at 02:58 AM.
Old 06-28-2001, 09:33 AM   #8  
Chick

Default Goodmorning

Our pets are our children in a way. Seems like we are willing to put up with a lot for their company. As a cat owner I am resigned to raggedy furniture. Actually the kittens are good about using their scratching post, but the old cat got a bad start on that and I fear she is teaching the new ones some bad habits! Anyway, I had to chuckle over the ink pen Alice. I don't know how to get ink out but I have on occasion done a web search on stain removal and been able to find good information.

Well, with one day of journaling under my belt I feel so much better. I just need to carry on with it. You are right Mrs. Yogi, that kayak is my best friend. Not only is it great exercise and fun, but it is so much easier to get in and out of it and to wear the right clothes for it when I am doing well. It is a big motivator for me.

I am planning another overnight kayak trip this coming Sun. and Mon. I will be on the lake near my home. Looking forward to it.

I hope everyone has a good day.
Old 06-28-2001, 09:59 AM   #9  

Default Hello everyone!

It is really hot here. I refuse to complain because I complained an awful lot about the weather last year at this time, when we thought we should be building an ark.

Ledom~Your trip sounds great! I am so glad you enjoyed yourselves. It is nice to get away. Your kayak trip sounds like fun. I will be thinking about you out on the lake. I guess I will rely on Mrs. Yogi & Judi to keep me motivated. I am anxious to start walking again.

Mrs Yogi~Congratulations on the loose pants! Doesn't that make you feel wonderful? Good luck on the shopping trip. I am glad that you are feeling better.

Judi~I wish your D good luck in getting that Boston Terrier. How old is he? Let me know how they make out. The main floor in your house smells just like my rug where her wee-wee pad is, the spot where she just misses the edge of the pad. I put some carpet deodorizer on it everytime I vacuum and it seems to work pretty well. I hope the medication works for Parasha. Because of my knee I haven't been able to get out and weed my lily garden. Every once in awhile I go out and bend over and pluck some of the weeds out, but it has really been too darn hot to do much.

Shebacat~How is your cat? Have you washed her yet and are you still speaking?

Take care and everyone have a great day! Alice
Old 06-28-2001, 06:32 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Default Hey Girls!!1

How is EVERYONE?? I'm so terribly sorry I haven't written in sooooooo long. But things are so same o'le same o'le, that I had nothing so say... Still nothing is new with me but I was feeling bad about just lurking around all the time...

Everyone is doing so well....Ledom, your kayak trips sound like a dream...Mrs. Yogi, loose pants way to go girl!! Judy, how is the west coast?? I agree we are just too hard on ourselves, why do we fret and fuss so much about what we eat? Can we not eat just HEALTHY? Your garden must be gorgeous if you work so hard at it...Shebacat, you can actually wash a cat? Do you have to do this from the very beginning, or can you start this anytime? Alice, how are you doing?

Anywho I'm back.... I too, am starting anew with WW, I had lost 7.5 lbs....I reluctantly went back last nite head down in shame, and gained 3.5... but I just had to go, because I'm sure in no time I would gain all the 7.5 lbs back... AND all my g/f's that had joined are all loosing so well, and I am just kicking myself for coming and going off and on the diet ..... .... Why do I do that??? Why can I not have a grip?? I know no one can answer those for me, but I just thought I would throw them out there.....My best friend has lost 17 lbs in the same time I've lost 4...

On the plus side...There's no SNOW here ...It's been gorgeous ....I'm finished work for the summer ...Tomorrow we are going to a water park, that should be fun.... It's a long weekend....So I guess we should look on the more positive side more often....

Anyways girls, please accept my appologies for not writting more often, and I will try to keep up to date...

Take care......

Lana.... .....
Old 06-28-2001, 07:41 PM   #11  
Chick

Default ((((Lana))))

So glad you're back! If you have been lurking around, then you KNOW you aren't alone.

The ?'s you bring up, and judi did a couple weeks ago about why some people can stick with it and some people can't. Over the weekend I was thinking back on my diet/eating history. I have a very vivid memory of the first time food became more than nourishment to me. It was one summer, my mother worked and I was mostly bored and left with my cranky granny during the summers. I had some vanilla icecream in a cup (I remember everthing about that cup, it had a built in straw and it was yellow), with some chocolate sprinkled on it. I just remember that it was a sensual experience. Mixing the chocolate in, letting it melt a little, eating it and then getting more. Because it made me feel better! I think my problem with eating is distilled in that one experience.

Anyway, journaling the second day has gone well. It is making me more aware and helping me make better choices.
Old 06-29-2001, 04:28 PM   #12  
Call me BuBu

Default Shopping, Pants, Motivation etc.

Wow, what a great bunch of topics we seem to be on here!

Judi, I would LOOOVVVEEE to stay at the Four Seasons in Seattle but it's like rilly rilly expensive, especially for us poor 3rd world hosers who only have wimpy Canadian loonbucks... sob.

Who are these people who can check into those lovely hotels and stay for little shopping junkets? Must be old money and dotcom dollars talking there. You see them at Nordstrom, all slim and trim, dripping cashmere and wearing their Manolo Blahniks. Dahling.

But I tell ya Nordstrom does have the most amazing cafe. Check it out if you can. It's got it all, and great people watching also.

I did get to stay at the Paramount with DH on a business trip once and that was fun. It was the weekend before the Battle in Seattle, and there was the Thanksgiving Day parade and everything right outside our window. Another couple of days and we would have been locked down and wearing gas masks. Yikes.

As for shopping, I'm going to just hit the local malls and consignment stores and see what's around. I desperately need some new office type clothes.

Ledom, good for you, writing it down. Have you used fitday.com? It can be useful. Just watch those carbs, girl.

Good luck everyone with the dogs/cats, etc. We are enjoying being cat free for the first time in 20 years, taking a brrreeeak from litterboxes, midnight hairballs, special food, pee smell and hair everywhere. I do miss the little buggers, but it is nice to be able to just wear dark clothes in the house for a change he he. Advice for washing the cat: don't try that at home! hire a pro... Advice for training a kitten: get a water pistol! They work. You can hit them from across the room the minute they go for the couch, and they get the message after a couple of encounters.
Old 06-29-2001, 04:30 PM   #13  
Call me BuBu

Thumbs down BTW

Have an excellent long weekend everyone!
Old 06-30-2001, 12:50 PM   #14  

Mrs. Yogi: They are ladies who lunch...dahlink! Believe me the DH and I only stay at those hotels when we are on expense account or bonus points or travel vouchers otherwise when it is our nickel we are strictly "Best Western" clients. They have a coffee pot in every room and they take dogs.

Everyone has to go out and get the book I mentioned a few threads back "La Cucina" by Lily Prior. It is about a very sensual (and kind of fluffy) woman who takes out her griefs by cooking. It is a novel of "rapture" it says on the front. It is SOOO good! I highly recommend it.

Ledom: That was such a good recollection you shared a few posts back about being a little girl and having the soothing and comforting ice cream in the hot summer while you were with the cranky grandmother. I am sure the sensual delight and the comfort of the exquisite treat is a BIG part of where we all are today. But it is not all bad, if it is controlled we can still have that and weigh less too.

Alice: This year I have about 100 new lilies coming up in my garden. I hope they are not going to be blooming when I am gone (July 6-17). They are all fragrant lilies in various shades of pink and white. Most of the garden is pink, white, blue, purple with the odd touch of red and pale yellow. I have some Maltese cross in red in one corner that doesn't seem to conflict with the rest of the garden color scheme. I have been here in the house about 5 years now and this year is my best garden. I love any type of campanula, so I am always planting them most of them are biannuals so it involves some waiting. Usually I forget what I planted then the next year I am pleasantly suprised. How is your knee now?

Lana: It is great to hear from you! Hey, did you get your swing? How are you enjoying it? My skinny friend has lost about 15 lbs. (she has way less points to eat and loves to cook as well) and is only 1 lb away from goal and I have stayed the same so I can relate to what you are saying about your friend losing. Still you are back on track so give yourself a huge pat for that!

How is the weekend going Shebacat?

Ledom, I am going to journal again too. How is it going?

Enjoy the weekend! We are supposed to have good weather for 5 days

Last edited by judi; 06-30-2001 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-30-2001, 01:34 PM   #15  
Chick

Default Thanks

for reminding us about La Cucina judi. That does sound exactly like the kind of book I would enjoy.

Journaling is going great. It has made me aware of exactly how many calories and the kinds of food I eat. I am sticking strictly to the PMD. I haven't weighed. Thought I'd give myself a week, but them I do plan to start weighing weekly again. I made the BEST recipe from the latest Cooking Light magazine. It is a pasta salad with tofu, tomatoes, green beans and a really nice but light dressing.

Gearing up for an overnight kayak journey tomorrow.

judi, your garden sounds so pretty, it does take a while for one to settle in doesn't it. I wish I weren't so lazy about my yard, this summer I have done only the bare minimum.

Lots of cleaning to do today. I am having people over for a cookout Tues. night and won't be here to do my usual cleaning the couple of days beforehand.
Closed Thread