Weight Loss Support - "Healthy-ish" Halloween candy -- let's make a list

LovesBassets
10-29-2005, 02:23 PM
Okay, so I finally bought the candy for Monday night. I was considering not buying any, shutting off all the lights, and ignoring the kids -- but that's very Scrooge-like, so I bought candy.

I spent about 20 minutes reading every single label of every single bag of candy at the grocery store to find the "healthiest" kind. I did this because I know myself very well, and although I have NO intention of eating any of the candy, I know I probably will :dizzy: . So the first thing I did was ignore all the candy that I love -- Reese's Peanut Butter cups, Snickers, etc. Then I checked out everything else.

Here's what I bought. It's the "healthiest" candy I could find:

Jelly Belly ("gourmet" jelly beans)
serving size = 4 snack size bags
calories = 140
fat = 0
carbs = 37 grams :devil:

Honestly, it was the best I could do. Plus, jelly beans usually give me heartburn so I may just stay away and not eat any of them. What have you ladies found/bought?

andreaphilip3
10-29-2005, 02:48 PM
i love reeses!
we dont buy any....we buy pumpkin sacks of indiv. bags os syniders mini pretzels. id say the 'healthiest' in terms of chocolate is something along thelines of plain m&m's, and plain hershey kisses

crd43123
10-29-2005, 03:03 PM
Tootsi pops aren't too bad. 60 calories and they are fat free. Plus it takes a while to get to the tootsi roll

Heather
10-29-2005, 04:26 PM
My husband likes tootsie pops and I don't -- so maybe that's what we'll buy!!

chick_in_the_hat
10-29-2005, 04:49 PM
I bought almond joy's...IMO the only way you can ruin chocolate is with coconut.

chick_in_the_hat
10-29-2005, 04:53 PM
Hmmm- I guess that's only "healthy" if ya don't eat it :0

alsten02
10-29-2005, 05:06 PM
having one or two of the mini chocolates really isnt bad, but i guess its the stopping there thats the hard part LOL ... I dont do halloween & lately for some reason, I havent been tempted at all to buy the snacks :cool:

shrinkingchica
10-29-2005, 05:07 PM
I LOVE the scene from "Romy & Michele's HS Reunion" when Romy says: "I've been on this new fat-free diet for 3 days now.......I have only been eating tootsie rolls, candy corn and twizzlers" (or something like that). And then Michele says: "Ugh, I wish I had your discipline."

andreaphilip3
10-29-2005, 07:23 PM
i love that scene too!

AnnieFannie
10-29-2005, 07:34 PM
I personally don't buy Halloween candy because we don't have any Trick or Treaters here. So I am lucky, but if I were going to buy it, I would get lollipops. No fat and very few calories.

-Caramel Apple Pops (60 cal, 0.5g fat)
-Blow Pops (60 cal, no fat)
-Dum Dum Lollipops (25 cal, no fat)
-Tootsie Pops (60 cal, no fat)

I agree with Gina. Put coconut in anything and well you've ruined it for me.

Some other goodies that I found that won't haunt you.

Treats That Won't Haunt You...

Pumpkin Peeps: These marshmallow-y, pumpkin-shaped delights contain just 130 calories and no fat in each generous 8 peep serving.

Candy Corn: Want a handful of these chewy Halloween classics? Feel free. Each 26 piece portion contains a reasonable 140 calories and is completely fat free!

Peppermint Batty: These fun 'n kooky bat-shaped peppermint patties have only 140 calories and 2.5g of fat. Yay!

Russell Stover's Chocolate Marshmallow Ghost: This spooktacular treat has just 110 calories and 3g of fat. Not too scary.

Plus I found this. It would be nice to munch on while passing out candy. Gives you your own little treat and maybe stay away from the other stuff.

Monster Munchies

This sweet 'n salty autumn recipe will keep you from reaching for those candy bars...

Ingredients:
-1 bag Jolly Time 94% FF Kettle Korn mini bag
- plain M&M fun size bag

Toss these two ingredients together, and enjoy each bite of this sweet and crunchy Halloween treat. The recipe contains around 195 calories and 6.5g of fat.

Valerie Joy
10-29-2005, 08:14 PM
I'm giving out glowsticks this year. I give the kids a choice of a glowstick or candy most will choose the glowstick!

Leenie
10-30-2005, 06:06 AM
They have Oreo cookies in TEEEEENY little sacks that are 60 calories. I bought them because I can give them to my DD for a snack when she's maling my leg for something sweet. They also make them that small with pnutbutter ritz crackers.

BUT !!!!!! the best thing is, neigher of them tempt ME !!! :lol3:

Lets not even talk about snickers....sigh LOL

marbear
10-30-2005, 11:47 AM
I cannot buy anything with chocolate...I will lick the chocolate off even if I hate the inside. I can buy pure sugar (lollipops, candy corn) because it's too sweet and doesn't bother me. I am doing what my mom always did, though... The local ghetto grocery sells Dr. Pepper Products really cheap (their everyday price is 6 cans for 99cents). I am buying up some dr. pepper cans and giving out cold soda. It doesn't tempt me, and if we don't have a lot of kids we can always send it to work with my husband or save it for when we have company. My mom also made homemade popcorn balls (that was kosher back in the gold ole days)...but that IS a temptation...so NO GO.

Mary