Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-27-2005, 12:44 PM   #1  

Default How do you keep going?

This morning I did a two part work out. I only did about 10 minutes of watp 1mile but then I turned around, minutes later, and walked a mile and a half with the dog. Walking the dog I had no problems but when I was doing the watp I felt like my leg was gonna give out. I wasn't physically exhausted but my knee just couldn't take any more. I've been doing the watp for like a week now but I can't get past the one mile and today I couldn't even finish it. I don't even know if that made sense to anyone cause it sure doesn't make any sense to me.

I guess what I"m looking for are tips to help keep me going when I just feel like I physically can't do anymore. My goal was to complete the 2mile watp dvd by halloween but there's no way that is happening.
ambabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:50 PM   #2  

I believe in pushing yourself, but you also have to know your limitations. If you keep doing it, it will get easier. I think that I would just try to go a little further every day(or two or three..whatever you can do)...even if it's only a few steps further. Don't put a time limit on yourself if you find that discourages you. Just keep moving and before you know it, you'll find that you've finished the whole thing!!

Good luck!
mommyto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:56 PM   #3  

when it comes to exercise I find that it takes a while (say two weeks or so) before you begin to get a pay off and the routine becomes a habit you dont want to quit. There definately is a chemical high that comes from regular exercise and this is what keeps runners on their gureling pace.
It surely will happen for you too. Also, some days are different than others, when i used to run (back in the day) some days i would fly down the road, others seemed to be endless....don't know exactly what causes this...but the way i felt after and the effects it had on my physical well being made the discomfort worth the price.
gingerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 11:08 PM   #4  

it takes a while to get into the habit a little at a time. but once you start seeing results. it will be hard to get you to stop. well at least that is the way I am. Vanity helps but feeling good helps also. just do something everyday
flipafart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:59 AM   #5  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

This may sound weird, but whenever I find myself saying, "I just can't do one more minute," I check in with my body (and then my brain) to make sure it's really a physical thing. And 90% of the time, it isn't. Instead, it's "me" who wants to quit -- not my muscles. This is why (in my opinion) distractions are key during exercise. When I'm purposely "exercising" (like on the elliptical) I tend to focus on the fact that it's exercise, whereas if I'm doing something fun that happens to be active (like hiking, skiing, swimming, etc.) I totally forget that it's actually exercise!

You said you had no problem walking a mile and a half with your dog...I've never done WATP (so I don't know if it's possible to do this) but could you take your dog with you every time you do WATP?
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 10:48 PM   #6  

Thanks for the input everyone.

No Kate I can't take my dog with me when I do watp. I have to lock him up in his kennel or do it in the basement because he likes to trip me. I think he's trying to figure out why I'm walking and we aren't getting anywhere.

I think maybe I need to find a new distraction. Maybe playing some music while doing it.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:22 PM   #7  

ditto what ginger said....the high you get from excercising is the same one you get from eating chocolate!!!!-well thats what keeps me going anyway!!lol
lil.disney.princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 06:16 PM   #8  

I'm laughing out loud at your post, ambabs.
Quote:
I think he's trying to figure out why I'm walking and we aren't getting anywhere.
I think everyone here is right. When I first started WATP, a mile would just kill me. It took me a month or so to get where I could do it relatively easily. Putting on music will probably help a lot.
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 12:07 AM   #9  

I figured out how to finally get past only one mile! The key for me I guess is to do two miles but break it up into 2 one mile workouts done at different times of the day. I did a one mile around 9 this morning and around noon I did another one without any problems. In fact the second one seemed easier to me! It was the same exact workout so maybe it was just that my body was warmed up from the first one. I'm thinking that if I can continue like this then maybe in the next couple of weeks I can up it to 3 miles a day by breaking it up.

Thanks again for the help everyone. I love the support I'm getting here.