Dieting with Obstacles - Friends with RA and OA #19

View Full Version : Friends with RA and OA #19

Happy Canuk
10-25-2005, 05:55 PM
Just atarting a new thread here. :)

http://photos.imageevent.com/happycanuk/graphicsforrainbowsgals/bosset_halloween_c56.gif

kelleen920
10-27-2005, 01:32 AM
Great idea to start a new thread, was getting very long. Today again, I didn't even think of eating any chocolate, and this was my first day, again, of keeping to a good healthy food in moderation and excersise day. So far so good, I had a great workout this morning and tonight I am working nightshift, I am finding I am getting the munchies and my partner I am working with is treating me to chinese food around midnight, but, I am going to still have some but the key is "moderation" and I am staying away from the deep fried egg rolls - we will see how it goes. Arthritis is has been under control these last few days, no flare ups and I am really happy with that, except for mornings with my feet, but wears off. Boy, when you take your medicine when you are suppose too, it sure makes a difference! I am bad for that, I forget lots and then I go away on the weekend and leave it at home - I am slowly learning my lesson, I think i will remember from now on. I know, that sound really bad, forgetting to take your medicine is crazy considering this crippling disease of ours. I am smarting up right quick!

Have a good day/night everyone!

chrily
11-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Not a very busy thread lately. I'd have gotten on earlier but I've been drowning in homework and Nicole was very sick. Bless her little heart, she's sharing the virus with me. :)

Not much going on in Montana. Homework and housework. I did get some new shoes that are a little wider and my feet feel alot better, not totally pain free but I'm not limping around so that's good. I'm going to buy a pair of Merrill shoes when I get some extra money. My sister says they are very comfortable and they actually use the form from a woman's foot instead of a man's foot to manufacture them so they fit better. Sounds good to me and they actually mould to your foot. Oh yah....

I've been busy sewing and trying to keep up with my growing girls. Tiana and Kayla are doing awesome in school so far, and they are taking dance lessons now. Kayla is taking jazz and tap. Tiana is taking ballet, jazz, and hip hop. Tiana has her first performance on the 19th of this month.

Kelly goes in for surgery next week. He needs to get his esphogus widen again and possibly another surgery to keep the acid from refluxing up. He also got sent to a nutritionist because his cholesterol is up, despite medication and he is now border-line diabetic. His doctor says he better be down to around 200 lbs. by his appt. in April, or he'll have to find a new doctor. Talk about tough love. Maybe that's the kick in the butt he needs to get serious about his health.

I am officially down to 198 now. I go back to the clinic next week for my weigh in and see how I'm doing. The last couple of weeks have been a struggle with everyone being sick and lots of activities to do so I know my weight loss has slowed down. I've been good for the last couple days, just need to get into the exercise swing and I'll be on the road to a whole new mew.... :D

TTFN for now. Nicole is wanting some water and she's totally absorbed in her Shrek 2 movie. I gotta get my buns in gear and get my quilt listed on ebay to get some money going for Christmas and maybe take a shower... ;)

Love ya ladies,
Chris

Happy Canuk
11-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Got this from a newletter site. Thought it might be of interest to those of you who have RA.

http://www.prohealthnetwork.com/library/bulletinarticle.cfm?ID=2671 (http://)

kelleen920
11-09-2005, 04:59 PM
I really like your quote HappyCanuck "It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not" Since I read it on one of your previous posts, I tell that to myself alot as one of my inner voices when trying to utilize will power - it is a very strong quote. Things are o.k. I have been really good with my workouts and eating in moderation, I am looking forward to keeping this up and weighing myself on Friday to see if any change. I over did it at the gym yesterday & hurt my knee, it is definately an arthritis thing and not a weight lifting injury. I tell the officers here at work that I just pulled a muscle as they don't know I have RA because so far I am still going ahead with my plans for College. All the civillian women here are routing me on and supporting me and telling everyone, I can't not go to College that would be weak of me and I am not weak - I am not giving in just yet, and I don't have to make a decision anyway until they actually offer me the job, and I have a few weeks before my interview so I can get more info from my Dr. and really think about this step, and if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out and I said before, I will have a really hot body for summer! - sorry I am feeling a tad bit sorry for myself today.

On the bright side! I am sure I will have lost a couple of pounds for sure. I will keep you posted. One tip that I am sure you all already do, is I bought a case of club soda and I put a squeeze of lemon & lime in and boy is it good! really helps with the 8 glasses of water daily. Yummy.

ageoldie
12-10-2005, 09:31 PM
I know I have ben MIA for quite a while, but my live has been turned upside down for quite a while lately.

I've been handling my disease pretty well, not really big flares recently, just the always present nagging fatigue and joint pain. I hope things are going well with all of you.

chrily
12-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Hey Barb
I think everyone is MIA. I'm here but have been so busy with school. How is your holiday season going so far? Not too bad here. The sam mad scramble for trying to come up with money for presents and still pay our regular bills. There never seems to be enough money.

I hope you are feeling better. I have a little problem with my feet but that's just life. I've been referred to a podiatrist to see if he can figure out what to do. I've taken prednisone and it didn't work at all. They did increase my methotrexate to 9 pills a week instead of 8.

I better go. I still have to do some more homework so I better get outta here.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!

~chris

Happy Canuk
12-11-2005, 12:55 AM
Hi Barb and Chris.

Gosh, it's been awhile since anybody was here. Chris, I hope your classes are going well and that you are finding it easier, now that you have been at it for awnile. That is the way it goes - always a shortage of funds!

Barb - nice to see you. I know how the fatige is and it isn't nice. I hate it worse than the pain.

Well, ladies, I started working part time after being unable to work for the past 9 years. I am doing data entry at the lab (where you get bloods test etc.) . I work from 7:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and I am sure enjoying it. Have to learn all the terminology etc., and it gets harder the older you get, but I am doing ok.

Angel - if you ever come have a look over here, hope all is well with you.

Kelleen - Hope your weight loss efforts are paying off and that the pain is allowing you to continue with your goals.

Have a nice weekend.

Joanne D
12-21-2005, 08:03 PM
Hey There- I haven't been in here for awhile.. Computer problems. My Christmas gift was a new Dell. I love it so far.
All my shopping is done. I just have to buy fresh bread for dinner Christmas. My health has been pretty good lately.
I am as usual wanting to lose about 5 lbs .I will work on that.
I hope that the Holidays are kind to all of you and that you have a
MERRY CHRISTMAS.Joanne

Angel-lover
12-22-2005, 10:52 PM
Hello everybody,

Sorry I've been gone so long. My computer has been in a terrible shape. I finally ordered a new one. I'll try to get it set up tomorrow. I got a Dell, also, Joanne! I suppose great minds DO think alike.:D

It's good to see the thread is still going. I'll try to post more often after Christmas.

I'm doing fair healthwise. I dread the next couple of weeks, though. It's time for a treatment, but there's no Drs at the clinic for the next two weeks (Christmas vacations) so I have to wait.:( I'll be in pretty bad shape by then. One good thing, though. The new drug plan will save me around $300.00 a month in prescription meds.:carrot: (wish I could dance like that!)

Anyway, just wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas. I miss all of you, my friends. I'd love to put pretty graphics on, but was lucky to just post.:o

Charlotte

ageoldie
12-24-2005, 07:34 PM
http://h1.ripway.com/ageoldie/XmasSnaggables/achris4.gif

Just wanted to stop in and wish everyone a Merry Christmas. It's Saturday night and my family has all gone to other places. Our Christmas was nice, especially for my grandson, he got so excited, it was wonderful to watch. Tomorrow we will go t o my brothers for lunch and a fun Chinese Christmas gift exchange. It is so strange not to have Mother with us, but we have to make new traditions now.

Hope everyone feels well and enjoyes the day tomorrow.

Joanne D
12-24-2005, 08:17 PM
Merry Christmas Everybody...
All of the family will be here tomorrow.. As usual it will be here. My daughter and new Daughter-in-law are chipping in with food . I am making Fela (stuffed grape leaves)and pork loin roast with potatoes ,salad and pies.I hope not to gain any pounds.RIGHT!I am barely maintaining.
It should be a nice day...Joanne

kelleen920
12-30-2005, 11:38 PM
Hi everyone, I am back. Well, I didn't make my xmas goal, but I think I can't stand the way I feel so much that I have made a new years resolution with a new challenge to loose as much as I can by April fools day - hopefully 25 pds. I kinda gave up there in December, lost my motivation & will power, and myselft, I haven't worked out at all in the month of December, I got the flu for 3 weeks and didn't do a thing. My arthritis is terrible, my hands especially. I felt the best when I was working out regularily and my hubby reminded me of how good I felt and most days were pain free, and I had to agree I have been lazy and depressed and dissapointed in myself. But, no more of that, I am going to make my goal, my hubby wants to join my resolution of getting healthy and in shape and have started a new years challange with my sisters & their hubby's too, and I joined another forum for lossing weight by april fools challange. So, Can't get better support than all that - I have to do this and I will. I just joined the Arthritis Society too, and received some info on the disease and manageing it, and I think I will join Joints in motion. Is anyone involved in that now?

Joanne D
12-31-2005, 11:08 AM
Keleen- Welcome.. I have also made a vow to lose the extra weight I gained. I am at goal and a KOP with TOPS. It is really hard for me to maintain and I seem to always be on the edge. I walked 2 days this past week but had to stop and wait for my back to get better. I have severe OA and I guess I hurt my back cleaning the rug. I should have just left the tract marks alone. I am so picky and didn't want them there for Christmas for guests to see.It is good that your hubby is supporting you. I lost 74 lbs and the best support was my family. My daughter and son used to call me after every meeting and ask how I did on weigh in.My hubby was good too.The only thing is he wanted all the same goodies around. I had to just put on "blinders" and do my thing.I am still trying to keep the "blinders" on. It is not always easy.This battle can be won.
Hello everybody. HAPPY NEW YEAR. Let's all get healthy..
Joanne

chrily
12-31-2005, 12:18 PM
Hey Kelleen, and Joanne...

I'm in the same boat. Lost the motivation and just having a hard time getting back on track. My ultimate goal for me is to get the rest of this weight off of me. I hope to be at goal by June. If I actually stick with what my doctor has planned out for me, it shouldn't be a problem. I just love to cheat, I guess. I need to set it in my mind about what is more important....my health or all the goodies I shove in my mouth.

My feet are still giving me fits. I have a ankle brace for the worst one. It helps some but squishes my foot to death. The doctor says I can get inserts made for my shoes if I want. I might go with that route. I'm having a problem with my tendon that attaches to the second meditarsel and the ankle. The orthotics or the brace keep it in a position where it doesn't pull...and hurt.

Well Happy New Years! Lets check in more often and get this thread back on track. I know I can use the help of my other RA/OA friends.

~chris

Happy Canuk
12-31-2005, 02:34 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/happycanuk/graphicsforrainbowsgals/ny200621121.gif

Just wanted to stop in and wish everybody a Happy New Year. I hope the coming year will bring relief in pain for all.

I don't seem to have much time now, as I have started to work a 7:30am-12:00 noon shift and by the time I get home, have lunch, and do a little bit of housework, I am zonked. I have to stop and have a 1/2 hr. nap, which is something I have NEVER done before.

It would be nice to get this thread back on track with more regular posting, that is for sure.

Joanne D
12-31-2005, 07:49 PM
Yes ,let's do get back on tract. Maybe we can talk more about what we can do to get healthy.Support each other. I am the worst one of all. I ate wrong all day. Tomorrow I will be good.No more snacks or bad food.(really unhealthy food)I am going to church tomorrow and pray for help. I have very little will power. I need to get it back and my motivation.:carrot: :carrot: I have to be like this guy!...Joanne

chrily
12-31-2005, 10:19 PM
Joanne, I've hardly got any energy either. Definitely hight time to get on track. I am so scared to go to outside diet groups. I've been doing this at home and its hard. I am going to a dietician now though. That is my first step towards admitting I can't do it alone.

I would love to share healthy tips and recipes and all sorts of information. I so need it. Happy New Year!

~chris

Joanne D
01-01-2006, 09:15 PM
Chrilly- I belong to TOPS.. (take off pounds sensibly) It is a support group. It is not expensive. It is a very strong person who can go this battle with weight alone. Tops has a site on line. Find a group and give it a try. You won't be sorry.You can pm me anytime . I will try to help you if I can.We all need someone. Joanne

leeinwv
01-07-2006, 09:45 PM
Hi Everyone
I have RA & Ostio
I also have Sjogrens Syndrome
Plus it was complicated this past year with breast cancer.
That means all the new drugs are off limits to me now.
I just had a bad reaction to Arava. I am very allergic to sulfa and have to make sure I never take anything with it in it.
I have been on methotrexate for a number of years now. I have to get this weight off . Both of my knees are gone and I get injections every three months because of my health I can't under go replacements now. They both are bone to bone. No more repairs on them just replacements so I am doing all I can to get this weight off and keep it off. I posted this on the other thread , but decided to do it again on the new one

Happy Canuk
01-07-2006, 09:49 PM
Hi Doris, welcome to our little thread. I don't know where everybody went, just busy I guess. You sure are welcome to come to our Dieting with Fibromyalgia thread. We have people there who do not have FM, but have arthritis. Pain is pain and we sure all understand it.

chrily
01-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Doris...Hi I'm Chris. I had a bad time with the sulfa drugs too. They caused liver toxicity and I got VERY SICK! My liver counts were triple what they were supposed to be. I was taken off all my meds until my count came back to normal. Now I do methotrexate.

I'll try to post here more often. I've just been a busy little person lately. I did join a health club...FINALLY! I'm working out with my sister and I actually feel VERY good.

Just thought I'd say hi to the new member and hi to the rest of you ladies. I have to get going so I can take the kids to my nephew's birthday. TTFN.

~chris

Snoopysgirl
01-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am posting here because I am looking for ideas on how to support and motivate my husband. (Pic with me in my avitar). He was diagnosed with juevenile RA when he was 5..fast forward to adult hood..still has it..only it is RA and OA now. He is 38 and needs both hips replaced, (bone on bone..little to no cartilage and also spurs), his ankles are beyond repair and he has problems with his knees and back too. He won't really take any meds because he worries what it will do to his organs and he refuses to exercise because he is in so much pain. (He finally consented to get pain relief this year and does take vicodin and drinks sometimes..but is trying not to do this as much anymore). Does anyone have any tips on how I could encourage him? I have applied for a membership assistance for the Y and we could go there where they have a pool, etc. but he says that he doesn't have time right now and that he would rather do the weights, etc. The problems is, he never has "time" and I see his body being destroyed and I am really scared for him--and for our family if something happens to him worse than what he has now, I guess.

Any tips? I don't want to push him too much but I really want to help.:?:

Joanne D
01-08-2006, 08:18 PM
Snoopysgirl- The best thing you can do for your hubby is make him aware that alcohol and vicodin are a DEADLY mix.Incourage him to exercise. In his case water exercise is best. If he hasn't had a good physical that should be done and the Dr. should lay out a plan for him that will help him get better health.He should not be afraid to take the medications for his problems. Yes, some do have side effects but they also have some that will arrest or slow the progress of the symptoms/disease.Exercise really helps to reduce pain.Maybe not at first but if you don't give in to it and keep on going it will.Tell him he can find 30 minutes in a day. I have osteo arthritis. The Dr.'s tell me in most every joint in my body. I find that the exercise helps.I admit I hate exercise. I will walk. I started walking several years ago. I can now walk 3 miles a day. lately I have lost some motivation and am trying to improve. My family thinks I am doing ok. I lost 74 lbs 0ver 4 years ago and kept it off. Before I bore anyone I will say I will be 73 this March...
Hey Everybody Joanne

chrily
01-09-2006, 02:02 AM
Snoopysgirl-Hi..have to get my two cents in too. I don't know how you'd convince him but by fighting to stay off meds, he may be doing his body more harm than good. Even with pain meds, the damage from RA is still being done, the pain meds just mask what is actually going on. I've had RA for almost 7 yrs now (I'll be 35 in April). I've been up all night numerous times, cradling my arm and crying from the pain...wishing for an end to it all. I've had times where my body hurt so bad, it took me 10 min. to walk to the bathroom that is right next to our bedroom. I had to plop down on the toilet (not meaning to be rude..sorry) and then sweating and rocking and finally getting the courage to stand up when I was done. I'd have to stand there holding the wall for a bit until the pain would subside enough to allow me to trek back to bed, which was more of a shuffle. I'd walk down our 5 stairs to the next level...which was a giant effort and be sweating and shaky by the time I hit the bottom. I've been taking methotrexate for 3 yrs now. I feel so much better. Also, exercise works wonders too. It keeps your joints more flexible and the exercise keeps stress and depression down. Please show him our replies. I went through the same with my mom earlier too. She was hurting so bad and having a very hard time with the pain. I just kept begging her to go to the doctor. In June, she finally relented. I got her in with my rheumatologist and they ran their tests and sure enough...my mom has RA too. She also has sarcoidosis (another auto-immune disease). I would not wish this disease on anyone. It has totally changed my life. Its a hard one and it looks like he got a double whammy. My prayers are with you and your husband.

Snoopysgirl
01-09-2006, 06:53 AM
Thanks for your replies. I will continue to encourage him. It is hard to see someone you love in so much pain. I have told hm that the vicodin/alcohol is a bad mix (I do lots of research) but he blows me off and says..well, I am still here, aren't I? I retort..yeah..but I wonder what your liver looks like. I am working on boosting his immune system but cutting out sugars and promoting more whole foods and baking his bread from freshly ground wheat, etc. I know that there is no magic pill for RA and I will let him know what you have all said about your experience with the meds.

chrily
01-09-2006, 08:39 PM
Jenni-The medication I'm on isn't really very expensive either. I hope he chooses to get on some medication. Let us know how you both are.

~chris

Angel-lover
01-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Hello everyone,

Good to read all of the posts. I've missed all of you. Welcome to our new posters. Wish I had words of encouragement. All I could say, has already been said. We have to take it one day at a time. One thing I might advise Snoopygirl....you've shown love and patience....please keep that going. The fatigue can be terrible. I have so many people to say, "but, you don't LOOK sick." :( That's my point, I try not to. I have RA, OA, Lupus, & Fibromyalgia. I do a lot of "pretending" in public, because I don't want pity. But, it also causes people to not understand my illness. Only my husband sees how bad I am at home. Just as you see your husband. Of course, the drinking needs to stop. You and your husband are in my prayers.

Well....our Christmas wasn't that great this year. The evening of our get-together with our kids & grands, DH was in a terrible accident. A woman pulled out in front on him. He drives a Ford E350 1ton boxtruck....so he couldn't stop suddenly. It was terrible. The rescue workers took 2 hrs getting the woman out of her car. She almost died. All of DH's tools slid to the front of the truck & hit him in the back, breaking a lot of them. She doesn't have insurance, so we take another big loss. His back is hurting him a lot.

Sooooo....I've ate myself into oblivian!!!!!!! I had lost 10 lbs before Christmas, but gained it back.:( We finally found him a truck & going after it Saturday....just as the lease is up on the van he's driving. (his was totalled)

Gotta go............everyone take care.
Charlotte

Happy Canuk
01-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Hi everybody.

Angel - so nice to see you here. I am so glad your hubby wasn't hurt worse. I am also so happy the other woman didn't die. Too bad she didn't have insurance. How is she able to drive and have her car registered? Here, in Alberta, you can't register your vehicle, UNLESS you can prove you have insurance. Also, here, she would be charged for driving without insurance and that fine is HUGE.

No wonder you ate yourself into oblivian.

Snoopygirl - as with any disease, people have to be willing to help themselves. You can give support, but you can't make him feel better or get well. He needs to do that. You know the saying " You can lead a horse to water, but you can't MAKE him drink". I don't know if he has tried acupuncture or massage therapy but if not, he should. It won't help the worn out joints, as they will probably need repacing. He is just far to young to be going through this. I had back surgery when I was 37 and later that came back to bite me, as I now have arthritis in the area of the surgery. However, with the help of an Upper Cervical Chiropractor, I am feeling so much better than I was 9 years ago. I started working part time - 4.5 hrs. per day, and loving it. It is something I wasn't willing to give up. I am now 59 with OA and FM and a few other problems.

Chis - I hope that your studies are going well. I am sure you are more than busy looking after your family and trying to study.

Well, enough of this book I wrote.

Snoopysgirl
01-10-2006, 10:53 PM
Hi Everyone,

Angel, wow.. I am glad that your dh is okay. People without car insurance make me livid. :(

Canuck, I agree with what you wrote. I pray that he comes around. He is willing to try dietary things but I think that maybe he is just really depressed about his condition as well as worried about what the meds could do to make him worse. (I think).

Chris, the cost of the meds isn't an issue because of our insurance; however, he just won't do it at this time. Last time, the RA really let him have it verbally but it doesn't really help the situation. I keep praying for a total healing but I don't know if that will happen in this lifetime.

I did tell him that I posted here and I want to support him in his efforts. He is trying to cut out the alcohol; he threw out the remaining 3 beers in his 6 pack. I love him so much and I just hope that we can find the right fix for him.

chrily
01-11-2006, 12:44 AM
Just a fast post before I go crawl in the bathtub to soak.

Charlotte-My gosh, I hope your husband is okay? How have ya been otherwise? It's been too long. I finally joined a weight loss clinic ran by the hospital. I finally broke down and admitted I'm not doing a very good job of losing weight on my own. My sister and I joined a health club too. We go there every other night. Its great.

Anne-Hey, how are you too? School resumes next week. I get my next stack of books this week. 5 classes this semester instead of 6 but I have 3 accounting classes, 1 computer class, and a management class. At least I won't have to write any papers...:D Just alot of calcuating and computer work.

Jenni-Your husband just might be a little depressed. I know I was for awhile. I have been taking anti-depressants for 2 yrs now. Those make a difference too. I tried to go off them but I was too big of a crab and crier to live with.

Joanne-How are you feeling? Hopefully that Florida sun is warming ya up. We haven't been too bad here, around 50 degrees.

Hi Barb, and anyone else I may have missed. I'm gonna go off and read THE RISING and take my bath. I gotta get that book read so I can pass it on to my sister and then read THE REGIME. This is the next series after the LEFT BEHIND series of books. They are soooo good.

~chris

Joanne D
01-13-2006, 08:18 PM
Angel- I hope your hubby is recoping and doing well since his car accident. It is time now for you to take care of yourself.Get on a good eating plan . Get some exercise.
Chrily- I am glad you have started going to a gym.The weather here is warm part of the week and cool part . We are looking for some rain and cool weather again. I just hope we get enough rain to count.
Happy-I was able to walk 2 miles without any pain today. I got out and planted a rose bush our son gave us at christmas time. We have such poor soil here it takes a lot of work to grow most things. Ofcourse some things grow in spite of everything I do to get rid of them.
Snooygirl- You may be petting your hubby too much. Sometimes these men need some hard love. Get your Dr. to lay out the facts to him and see if that helps. I have found that we can only get these men to do what they want to . They need to think it is their idea.I know the more I try to get mine to do something,the less he will do. A very stubborn man.
Bye, Have a good weekend...Joanne