Weight Loss Support - Questions About Salt Intake

View Full Version : Questions About Salt Intake

OneLastTime
10-23-2005, 07:31 PM
Hi guys ~
When you find yourself eating food(s) high in salt do you guys think it is better to drink lots of extra water to "flush" your system out or just continue drinking your normal amount so you don't give your body the extra water to retain? Thanks in advance for your ideas!!
Have a great day.

andreaphilip3
10-23-2005, 08:52 PM
drink drink drink.

hefty1
10-24-2005, 10:21 AM
better yet cut on the ssalty foods and don't add salt to your food after they are cooked. good luck :) glen

jillybean720
10-24-2005, 01:17 PM
I like to drink extra water if I can. Maybe it's just mental, but it does seem to help decrease the amount of water I retain.

I know sometimes it's hard not to eat foods high in sodium. I end up eating out a lot sometimes, and even if you make healthier choices in restaurants fat and calorie-wise, they're usually chock full o' sodium! I guess I figure that if I'm giving my body something bad (extra salt/sodium), then I should try to help it out with something good (more water). Like I said, maybe it's all mental, but it makes me feel better anyway :^:

Tealeaf
10-24-2005, 02:24 PM
I don't care a fig about water weight at all. I could be retaining 10 extra pounds, I couldn't care less. Water weight will eventually take care of itself. Fat pounds are the only ones I care about. It's all about the long run.

Ilene
10-24-2005, 02:35 PM
When I feel bloated because of salt and sugar, sugar bloats me too, I drink extra water...

jillybean720
10-24-2005, 03:33 PM
I don't care a fig about water weight at all. I could be retaining 10 extra pounds, I couldn't care less. Water weight will eventually take care of itself. Fat pounds are the only ones I care about. It's all about the long run.
But when you have group weekly weigh-ins (like I do for TOPS), water weight shows up on the scale just the same as fat weight! :dizzy: Besides, if you were retaining extra weight, how would you know if it was water or fat?

crd43123
10-24-2005, 04:45 PM
I drink more water and add a lemon to it. Its seems to help with the bloated feeling.

marbear
10-24-2005, 11:48 PM
I really think our metabolism (like other body functions) works best when your body is hydrated. With the diet plan I am on they are big on watching sodium (for example, you use Morton's Lite Salt whenever possible and drink an extra glass of water if you eat out or have a frozen meal). I have noticed I am losing lots more weight doing this vs. when I was just eating a 1200 calorie diet (no, I'm not doing any supplements or bars..just regular food). The only problem is that now I am so used to feeling hydrated that I feel HORRIBLE without drinking about 80 oz of water a day (salty feeling mouth, dry lips...ugh).

shrinkingchica
10-25-2005, 03:05 AM
I feel your pain, Mary. I drink at least 10 glasses of water a day and if I don't........I just feel sooooo thirsty and parched.
Also, is it possible to drink too much water??

jillybean720
10-25-2005, 07:51 AM
You can drink too much water, but apparently only if you try to drink it all at once instead of drinking throughout the day.

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

marbear
10-25-2005, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I am sure it probably depends partially on your weight, but if you guzzle most of your day's water in one brief sitting, that is too much. I know I can handle 40 oz at a time, but then my tummy gets full and I don't want to keep on. I found it helps to drink at least some before noon, some after noon, and at least 16 oz after 6pm. Another good thing about water: I DO NOT feel full after drinking water if I am hungry to begin with...in fact, it makes me feel hollow and sloshy. I have noticed that if I start to drink water before I ever get hungry, I eat less during the day. I really believe you have to stay on top of your hydration if you want it to help your appetite. After all, they say a lot of us mistake dehydration for hunger.

BTW, google "water calculator." There are several places on the web to type in your weight and activity level and find out how much water you should be consuming. I think a general rule some people use is half your weight plus 8 oz for every half hour of activity. I just drink 80 oz (or drink until I'm not thirsty if I exercise or do strenuous labor).

Mary

alsten02
10-25-2005, 11:23 AM
I had to cut back on salt intake. Im bloating daily! .. the more water I drink, the better I feel. And I feel better when I go on the scale :smug:

OneLastTime
10-25-2005, 01:36 PM
Thanks for all your tips and sharing of your personal stories. I'm going to just keep chugging down that water. Luckily, I love water....ice cold water. I'm with some of you as I feel horrible when I don't drink it. My husband's family doesn't drink anything all day except with meals and I just can't imagine being that way...I think my lips would stick together. :lol:
I don't add table salt to anything I eat but sometimes I just know a meal has higher salt in it naturally so I want to start offsetting that with even more water.
Thanks again!