Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2001, 11:33 AM   #1  
Chick

Lightbulb Cool summer dinner ideas??

Hello to all!! I need some quick summer dinner ideas. I know that in France , in the summer, people love to eat outside. I would like to do that as well, but I don't know exactly what I can serve my family. My husband will eat anything that I serve, but my 16 year old daughter is a very different story! We don't have a BBQ, so anything that requires grilling would have to be done on the grill pan earlier in the day. But, what to serve?? Any ideas out there?I know that there are some pretty savy gals out there! So, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
googies
Old 06-23-2001, 09:13 AM   #2  

I love to poach salmon fillets, chill them and serve with low fat mayo mixed with tarragon. It makes a very classy and tasty dinner. I serve it with sliced and chilled english cucumbers marinated in rice vinegar and a bit of olive oil with some garlic and onion powder.
Old 06-28-2001, 08:08 AM   #3  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Angry

I like to cook pasta and saute beautiful veggies--any type--and combine them. Either cold or hot it's good. Last night I used summer squash, Vidalia onion, and green pepper. I have even been making my own spaghetti sauce lately to save on fat and sugar and end up with a no point sauce.
Boca burgers on lite buns are good and don't require a grill.
Would your daughter eat Gazpacho? I make a spinach casserole with garlic and onion and feta cheese that is good year round.
Another favorite is LF refried beans on LF tortilla and salsa. It's just like a burrito without the extra calories and fat.
Hope this helps.
Another approach is to take what your daughter likes and then figure out a way to reduce the fat and calories to lower the points. Maybe we could help you with a project like that.
Good luck! It's a neat idea.
Old 06-28-2001, 07:11 PM   #4  

Itryharder, great ideas. I would love to have your spinach/onion/feta casserole recipe...would you mind sharing it?

Thanks much!
Old 06-29-2001, 03:14 PM   #5  
Chick

Angry

Shakethosehips,
I'm always glad to share recipes. Here's something I adapted after my husband had something like it in a Greek restaurant.
Put a large bag of frozen spinach (that you've thawed, but not cooked) into a dish that can go on burner and then into the oven.
Add at least four cloves of sliced garlic, one large chopped onion, and lots of pepper. Cover and saute on the top of the stove until the garlic and onion are cooked through. I let it get *really* cooked because my husband likes it dry and that way I don't have to strain it.
Crumble 1/4 to 1/2 cup Feta cheese. Stir it in the spinach mixture. Pop it in a 350 degree oven until the cheese melts (about 10 minutes). That's it. The only points you need to count are the feta cheese. I've also thrown shredded mozzarella cheese on top and then just count in those points as well. It's simple, filling, and good.
Hope you like it.
Old 06-30-2001, 08:15 AM   #6  
Chick

Oops. I goofed. I hope you read this. The very first thing you do is to spray the casserole with Pam or another kind of fat spray.
Enjoy!

234/211/thinner
Old 07-11-2001, 07:26 AM   #7  

Dharma -

I loved your poached salmon idea. How exactly do you poach salmon and for how long? Do you just buy it in the seafood section of a good grocery store? I am not a huge mayo fan, could I subsitute plain yogert and tarragon?

I need an idea for a desert that would go with that meal. I want to surprise my husband with a picnic lunch so the desert would have to be something that wouldn't have to be frozen (I thought a nice light sorbet would be good but alas it has to stay frozen).

Thanks for your help.

Eve
Old 07-11-2001, 08:12 AM   #8  

I poach it for about 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillet (they usually say 10 minutes per inch). I poach it in white wine and sliced lemons. You could probably use yogurt for the sauce, I never have, but it might work. Yes, I buy the salmon fresh in the fish department of the grocery store. You could probably use frozen, but I never have and am not sure what you would do differently to poach it. Perhaps someone else here with experience with frozen salmon can answer that one.

As for dessert, how about strawberries, with Grand Marnier drizzled over them? If it's a picnic for your husband, that would be a romantic dessert.

Last edited by dharma; 07-11-2001 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-11-2001, 10:38 AM   #9  
imaleader

Or, that famous angel food cake we all love so well --

1 package angel food cake mix (any brand)
1 20 oz can CRUSHED pineapple, drained and liquid reserved.

Use the liquid from pineapple as the "water" for the cake mix. Beat well (follow package directions.) Gently fold in crushed fruit w/ rubber spatula (being careful not to deflate the mixture) and getting the pineapple uniformly mixed in.

Bake (according to package directions) in a tube pan till cracked and nicely brown. Slices beautifully with a serrated edge knife (use a sawing motion so you don't tear the cake) and wraps great.

Can also use 1 can of low cal cherry pie filling.... or, 1 package (the 4-serve size) of Jello, pick your favorite flavor. Great w/ low fat yogurt on top, or cool whip (for when it's NOT going on a picnic)... Or, add 2 tbls. of cocoa to the mixture...

Old 07-11-2001, 11:35 AM   #10  

THANK YOU! What great ideas. I would have never come up with them on my own. I'll let you know how it goes.

Eve
Old 07-11-2001, 06:11 PM   #11  
NASCAR Fan

I just made this bean salad yesterday and it was so refreshing! Even the bf really liked it!

balsamic-bean-salad recipe

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 08:08:54 -0700

* Exported from MasterCook II *

Warm Balsamic Bean Salad

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Salads Fat-Free

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
-----VEGETARIAN TIMES; JUNE 1994-----
2 cups Kidneys -- soaked
-- dry or Great beans
5 cups Vegetable broth
1 cup White wine
1 medium Onion -- diced
1/2 cup Balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Garlic -- minced to 2 T.
2 tablespoons Lemon juice
3 tablespoons Honey or sugar -- to taste
1/2 cup Red bell pepper -- diced
1/2 cup Green pepper -- or diced
1/2 cup Corn kernels
1/2 cup Celery
1/2 cup Parsley -- fresh
Salt and pepper -- to taste

In large pot, combine beans, broth, wine and onion. Simmer 2 hours, or
until beans are soft. Drain beans and onions, place in large bowl.

Add remaining ingredients. Toss well, adjust seasonings. Serve warm.

Nutritional information per serving: 237 calories, 10 gm protein, 0 mg
cholesterol, 44 gm carbohydrate, 20 mg sodium, 8 gm fiber, 0.4 gm fat, x.x
mg iron, xx mg calcium, 2% of calories from fat.
Closed Thread