South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 08:54 PM   #1  

Thumbs up Tonight's Supper

CHICKEN/BROCCOLI BAKE

6 oz. chicken
4 oz. fresh broccoli
1/2 cup crushed pork rinds (I used 4 slices of Canadian Bacon, diced VERY finely instead of the pork rinds)
2 T. chopped onion
2 t. minced garlic (1 clove)
1 c. shredded Mozarella cheese (I didn't use a full cup)
1 T. Parmesan cheese (I use freshly grated)
1/4 cup Mayo
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup water

Cook the broccoli and drain well, reserving 1/4 cup of water. Combine the water, mayo, sour cream in a bowl. Combine Parmesan and the diced Canadian Bacon. Put 1/2 the Parmesan and Canadian Bacon mixture in a Pam sprayed casserole dish. Then layer the chicken, the broccoli and the sauce, and the cheese. Put on the other 1/2 of the Parmesan and Canadian Bacon mixture, bake in a 350º oven for 30 minutes and ENJOY!!!

Now, let me tell you the changes I made because I know pork rinds are a no no and I got this off of another low carb site. Instead of the pork rinds, I used 4 slices of Canadian bacon, diced VERY finely and I only use freshly grated Parmesan, not that canned stuff, mixed those two together. I did use the water in the sauce mixture but would leave that out next time, and there will be a next time. I used about 2/3 of a 13 oz. can of chicken breast, well drained. Even my DH thought it was wonderful. I think this is much more healthy than the original recipe. I really loaded it up with the fresh broccoli and I steamed mine rather than boiling it. Hope you try it and like it.....GrannySmith

Last edited by GrannySmith; 10-21-2005 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:29 AM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Granny, that looks really good!

Make sure you watch your fats, though.

I'd take the pork rinds out; though they're a common ingredient in many low-carb diets, they aren't a part of SBD. SBD is all about good fats, and the saturated fat in pork rinds isn't a good fat. How about some low fat cheese on top, instead? When in P2, you could add some crushed Stoned Wheat Thins on top...I've done that with other casseroles and it's delicious!

Make sure the mozzerella is "part-skim" so it's lower in fat than the whole milk kind.

Thanks for a great recipe!

By the way, what would be very helpful is if you would post your recipes in the recipe forum and then provide a link to them here. That way people can always find them. Here, the posts end up on the second page before you know it and no one knows to look for a recipe. I'll copy your post over there today (It's in Entrees-Phase 1), but if you can do it in the future, that'd be great! Same for everyone else, okay?

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2005, 11:40 AM   #3  

Exclamation Beach Gal

I didn't use the pork rinds, if you'll read my whole post, I used sliced, diced Canadian bacon instead of pork rinds. I wouldn't eat pork rinds if my life depended on it! I tried them once many years ago, and BLECH!!! I didn't like the taste of them at all. BLECH AND DOUBLE BLECH!! LOL......GrannySmith
Old 10-21-2005, 03:27 AM   #4  
I can do this!

Sorry, Granny! I didn't read the bottom. Perhaps, though, so no one else makes that mistake, you can edit the recipe post to look like this:

1/2 cup crushed pork rinds (I used 4 slices of Canadian bacon, diced VERY finely)

for each item that you changed/substituted? That makes it really easy to see, at a glance, what you've done.

I think steaming the broccoli instead of boiling it is a great idea! The nutrients leach into the water when you boil it, so you lose a lot. Steaming is better, though some nutrients still end up in the water. The best, I've found, is microwaving with no added water. You'll still have to drain the veggies a little, but you'll keep most of the nutrients...plus it's fast!
Old 10-21-2005, 04:05 AM   #5  
Opulent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannySmith
I didn't use the pork rinds, if you'll read my whole post, I used sliced, diced Canadian bacon instead of pork rinds. I wouldn't eat pork rinds if my life depended on it! I tried them once many years ago, and BLECH!!! I didn't like the taste of them at all. BLECH AND DOUBLE BLECH!! LOL......GrannySmith
Yeah...who ever thought of killing a pig, skinning it and deep frying that skin to eat? *shudder* Nasty, verrrrry nasty!
Old 10-21-2005, 10:56 AM   #6  
I can do this!

I agree, yogini...blech!

But then, I love dill pickles with natural peanut butter on them...so who am I to talk?
Closed Thread