Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-14-2005, 02:19 AM   #1  

Default I Want Gastric Bypass Again

Can Someone Tell Me How To Go About Getting Gastric Bypass Surgery For The Second Time Please Thanks
blb28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 05:31 AM   #2  
it's always something

Hi, welcome to 3FC Have you discussed your wishes with your doctor yet?
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 08:28 AM   #3  

i'm confused, i thought that once you had that surgery, you couldn't go back to your "old stomach" so how can they do it a second time?
pioneerprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:36 AM   #4  

Default I Want Gastric Bypass Again

I have a friend here where I live..she had gastric bypass like in the 90's and they made the opening for her pouch way too small and she had it reversed..she did gain all of her weight back plus more but, the way it was before...she was starving. So, as others say..talk to your doc. He's the only one that can tell you.
Good Luck!!
Janet
janet_921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 11:32 AM   #5  

Its called a revision, and in some cases your insuranse will pay to have it done. You need to call around to accredited surgerons to seen if they even proforn revision surgery. I also know it depends on the original surgery you had. Also when you had it. It is rare that a surgeon will preform a revision on a rny unless he decided to bypass more intestine. Proximal to distal...However if you previously had a vgb the chances are higher to have a revision. I do know also that the 2nd surgery is harded due to scaring other reason which are many to mention. Alway It does boil down to the surgeon and a GI series to see if you qualify,

Good LUCK
charlene1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:11 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

Great Answer, Charlene!!!!

there's also a stoma scarring procedure that's in clinical trials. it's designed to tighten up the outlet, which relaxes over time. it brings back that 'OMG i can't eat another bite' feeling that we all grew to depend on.

it's actually quite simple. you are sedated for a few minutes while the tube is inserted down your throat. saline is injected into the stoma, and then the tube is removed and you wake up. it's repeated 3 times, i think.

the thing is, it won't work if your stoma has expanded too much. sooooo, as everyone else said, talk with your doctor, talk with your surgeon.

good luck!!!!

and PS. what's going on that you want to have it again?
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:38 PM   #7  

I have heard of some bypass patients going back in and having a lapband installed. From what I've read, it's usually people who's stomas have become enlarged, so the band gives them back the restrictive portion of their original surgery.

Just my thoughts,
Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 05:30 PM   #8  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

You can INDEED gain your weight back if you go back to your old eating habits. That's what happened to me. MY surgery was in the 80's before it was approved by the AMA (1981 to be exact). I lost 123lbs and kept it off for about 5 yrs and then due to no teaching, support groups, etc I found a way to eat things (and drink) that I shouldn't have. Your stomach stretches right back out. In my case, I was stapled and they are still there, everything is still moved (small intestine)..I started by eating pizza and drinking beer! YUP...does it every time!
Now I'm right back where I started from. I thought about a revision, but the scar tissues would be to much and therefore another open surgery.
I'm 53yrs old, and I'm just afraid I wouldn't have the good luck that I had 24 yrs ago.
Talk to your Doc..he will guide you in the right direction....GOOD LUCK!!

BOB
THE BIG ORANGE BABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 11:21 AM   #9  
iwasskinnyonce

Not only can you gain the weight back but many people do, statistically, the difference between weight loss and gain and weight loss surgery and gain is marginal, that is why I want to just do it and save my 25,000 to buy clothes! But I applaud those who feel they can do the surgery, I feel it is a sacrifice!
iwasskinnyonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 10:53 PM   #10  
terri

when did you have the first surgery? and yes you can have a revision. talk to your doc.
jtrides is offline   Reply With Quote