Old 10-13-2005, 11:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Default Reasons for Losing Weight--Scared Skinny??

I've decided that avoiding diabetes is one of the motivating factors in my quest to lose weight. My Dad has yet another ulcer on his foot that is infected by one of the so-called "superbugs" that is antibiotic-resistant. He could lose his foot. His blood sugar is in the normal range, but once diabetes arrives, it becomes a permanent guest.

I prefer to enter my rapidly approaching golden years in good health and with all my appendages intact so I think I'm going to be "scared skinny."
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:18 PM   #2  
Opulent

Shiela, who is that sweet child in your avatar?

I know what you mean about being "scared skinny". I don't have any big health concerns other than being *very* over fat and I want to be a better example for my daughter and clients, as someone in the health/fitness field.

It looks like you are almost to goal! Way to go! I am new here and still looking to connect with someone here (I just joined a few hours ago, but I am already feeling lonely because no one has responded to any of my posts yet, despite many views ).
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:26 PM   #3  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Sorry about your dad, Sheila. Diabetes is a horrible disease and in so many ways preventable -- Good for you on using it as a catalyst. My scared skinny would have to be back and joint pain. I do not want to end up having to go places on a scooter because my weight has blown out all my joints.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:28 PM   #4  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

Lightbulb

Yogini: May I suggest posting a thread introducing yourself here in the 100lb Club. I am pretty new here as well and within this group, all of my threads have been responded to. I believe this is one of the more active groups I have seen on this site.

Sheila: Sorry to hear about your father. I understand what you mean by being scared skinny. In an indirect way at least. My family has pretty severe kidney problems on both sides. While I know (or I think) that is not related directly to weight, since there is such a good chance that I may have problems later in life, I am trying to make sure I am as healthy as possible in case I have to deal with such an ordeal in the future.
ScarlettDrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 227/170/130

Height: 5'2

Hello all-
I am freshly out of nursing school and I can not stress enough how much I learned about obesity being linked to almost every type of disease process. And a lot of it is preventable by dropping the weight and being active. I also have diabetes on both sides of my family, and I'm doomed to have it as well if I don't lose this weight. I carry most in the front in my belly which is very dangerous. I agree 100% about being scared, I feel the same way!
JazzyNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:36 PM   #6  
Opulent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlettDrawl
Yogini: May I suggest posting a thread introducing yourself here in the 100lb Club. I am pretty new here as well and within this group, all of my threads have been responded to. I believe this is one of the more active groups I have seen on this site.
Thanks, I will

And Shiela, it *is* great that you are inspired to become healthy by your father's recent health developments. I'll pray for your father.
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:41 PM   #7  

Hello, just had to comment on the belly fat...that's me!! I quit smoking about 1 1/2 yrs. ago (Apr. 18, 2004) and noticed weight gain when I stopped working out as much over the summer months. It crept up on me... and I didn't realize how much until I tried to put on my jeans. At work, I wore dresses and elastic waist shorts over the summer, so I didn't really notice how much I'd gained until wow! too Much!!! I'm reducing carbs and doing the Firm videos. I also do Yoga almost every morning...let me know if you find something that works! Thanks, Jen
milkseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I have multiple such inspirations. My father has diabetes and severe peripheral neuropathy. He could lose feet too someday! And my MIL is also overweight with serious back issues. And then this summer we got a puppy and raising myself from sitting on the floor playing with it was SUCH a chore. Finally, in July I had a nasty fall with a bad blow to my coccyx. As I was lying on my side recovering from that I had a chance to do a lot of thinking -- about my father and MIL, and how I couldn't move well, even before the fall. I'm 39 and felt 50 (or more!). And I thought about all the things I DON'T do because of my weight.

I decided that my goal would be to be more healthy when I turned 50 then when I turn 40!

And then I sat for a while longer and wondered whether that meant I should start right away, or wait until I turn 40 in February... I'm really glad I got off my duff and decided not to wait, because now I want my 40th birthday gift to myself to be an already fitter me!

Last edited by Heather; 10-13-2005 at 11:45 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:25 AM   #9  
Obsessive Poster

Well, I had already decided to lose some weight a few weeks ago because I was tired of feeling tired all the time. Unfortunately, I felt too tired to do much to fix my situation. Then, last thursday, I had a doctor's appointment and it scared me enough that I got off my derriere and started working. Whenever I start to worry about my health issues and the upcoming tests, I just work harder until it slips my mind.
WinterWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 07:21 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyNurse
Hello all-
I am freshly out of nursing school and I can not stress enough how much I learned about obesity being linked to almost every type of disease process. And a lot of it is preventable by dropping the weight and being active. I also have diabetes on both sides of my family, and I'm doomed to have it as well if I don't lose this weight. I carry most in the front in my belly which is very dangerous. I agree 100% about being scared, I feel the same way!
I agree that being over weight is bad for you. Can you tell my why belly fat is very dangerous?
I a had bone desity test in February and learned that I have ostioporosis. The doctor said the extra weight I have been carrying aound for the last 12 years probably kept the ostioporosis from being worse. I created my own weight bareing exercise.

Last edited by jmacway; 10-14-2005 at 07:24 AM.
jmacway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 08:08 AM   #11  
One pound at a time...

Excellant thread Sheila! I was "Scared Skinny" about a year ago when I went to the doctor and had a checkup. I was under immense pressure and stress at work which had pushed my blood pressure through the roof. My doctor at the time said if I kept going on the way I was, I would be an excellant candidate for high blood pressure, stroke, hypertension and all of the other fun diseases that obesity brings on.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 08:40 AM   #12  
.::Princess::.

S/C/G: 308/288/150

Height: 5'8"

I'm convinced that there is something wrong with me because I can't be scared about health problems. I need to be... HELLO I AM FLIPPIN' DOUBLE THE SIZE I SHOULD BE! I'm sure there are millions of risks in that... So, this thread was a good wake up call.

Sheila, I will pray for your dad. That is SO scary. I'd be depressed even if I had to have my pinky toe removed...! I hope the ulcer goes away!
SnShn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:31 AM   #13  

I find myself emotional reading all your responses.

For me, I have PCOS and all 4 of my g-parents were diabetics. YIKES!!! I have 2 daughters, one who shares my cruddy genetics (the other was adopted). I don't want either of them to have the body issues I have always had. I don't want either of them to have to struggle with weight and activity and to dislike themselves (much of this I counteract by being active with them NOW and by NEVER ever debasing myself or even discussing diet. It is all about an active, healthy lifestyle). I also don't want my son to have a mother who can't play with him.

In July, I went for a fast walk with my 2 youngest in a stroller (and the baby sometimes on my back) and I came back from the walk with a double stress fracture. The MRI also showed severe arthritis in my big toe. I was 1 month form 37 and had had enough!!! I nenewed my 20 y.o. goal that I would run a marathon by 40.

Basically, for me, July, the walka dnt eh foot and the toe, showed me that, for the first time in my overweight life, it is harder to be fat than it is to get fit.

So here I am.
irishgreengables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:52 AM   #14  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnShn13
I'm convinced that there is something wrong with me because I can't be scared about health problems. I need to be... HELLO I AM FLIPPIN' DOUBLE THE SIZE I SHOULD BE! I'm sure there are millions of risks in that... So, this thread was a good wake up call.
I completely agree--I know I should be worried about diabetes and high blood pressure and heart disease and...the list goes on and on and on. However, since I've never had any weight-related problems, it just doesn't quite sink in with me the way it should, ya know? It's like I realize the risks, and I could even probably write a good 100-page paper explaining many of the health risks associated with and/or worsened by obesity, but until it happens to you or someone close to you, it's hard to really grasp. I have been fortunate so far--and now that I'm losing, I will have less to worry about in the future!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 10:06 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I was going to say that I was impressed that you guys (gals?) have been able to lose weight without that fear. But as I thought about it, I realized that it's still not the fear of disease that is motivating me, but the fact of my lack of mobility. I've known about my dad and MIL for years, and still let myself pile on the weight! It wasn't until my mobility became an issue that I really started to think about it and deal with it.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote