Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 09:23 PM   #1  
Opulent

Default Calling all VEG*NS!

Anyone interested in being my buddy?

I have at least 100 pounds to lose and wanted to connect with other veg*ns here for mutual support and exchange.

I am so glad to be here and hope to hear from you all soon

I teach yoga and live a really healthy vegan lifestyle but have allowed my habits to get the best of me (late night eating, too many rich foods and not enough exercise) and have decided that it all has to change.

We can do it!

Old 10-20-2005, 01:50 AM   #2  
redhead veggie

I was vegan for a while, but couldn't do it in the dorms too well.

I'd be living on lettuce!

I'll try being your buddy. I don't know what it entails, but hey!

Do you binge on tofutti? it was my weakness, really. But so much sugar!
Old 10-20-2005, 03:04 PM   #3  

Hi there, we sound very similar, in weight and in lifestyle. I am not a full vegan though, I would say I am vegan about 90% of the time -- almost always at home, but when I am out I don't get too strict about it... I am though, a very strict vegetarian and have been for 10 years!

I will be your buddy, let me know!
Old 10-22-2005, 11:35 AM   #4  
Opulent

Thanks for the response! I am so glad to see there are veg*ns here
Old 10-22-2005, 08:23 PM   #5  
Fig

Hello! I'm new here and very happy to find other vegetarian/vegans. I've been on my own til now. I'd love to buddy up with you. I'm not totally vegan--I im trying--but I am a strict vegetarian. Hope to talk with you soonest. Marion
Old 10-23-2005, 06:02 AM   #6  

Hey there! I'm Vegan and I also have around 100 pounds to lose. I'd love to be your buddy! I desperately need support in losing this weight!
Old 10-28-2005, 03:22 PM   #7  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Hello, I was wondering if any of you would be willing to post any vegan recipes under the recipe section in this forum?

There are a lot of vegetarian recipes but only a few vegan ones mixed in with them so I started a separate sticky for vegan recipes.

Thanks for your help
Old 10-29-2005, 04:19 PM   #8  
Opulent

Sure! When I have some time to dedicate to it, I'll get right on it (I want to be sure to post ones my family really likes and ones that really work out nicely).

Thanks for the work you do moderating this forum. It would be a lot less active if you didn't tend to it so nicely
Old 10-31-2005, 12:44 PM   #9  

Thanks yogini! I would be really happy to see more traffic in this area. And if anyone feels like posting about healthful eating, yoga, and other topics of interest relating to this forum that would be great.

That would be terrific if you could post your favorite recipes. I have vegetarian ones I can post and try to test drive as many as I can but no vegan ones and not enough experience with veganism to know what is what. For example I didn't realized until last year that vegans don't eat honey - you learn something new everyday! That's why I love the 3fc boards - there is so much information on all sorts of eating plans and lifestyles
Old 10-31-2005, 03:16 PM   #10  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

S/C/G: 260/176/175

Height: 5' 10"

So what is the difference between vegetarian and vegan?

Nothing from any animal - or nothing from animals that had to die (so milk and eggs ok?)

So confusing - just curious - I am a meat-a-saurus so this is all academic.

Old 11-01-2005, 08:39 AM   #11  
Opulent

A vegan (by definition, according to the person who made the term) does not eat any animal products at all (if it comes from an animal, including butter, whey, honey, gelatin etc., a veagn doesn't eat it).

Additionally, vegans do not use other animal products such as leather, wool, shells and so on. The basis of a vegan's philosophy is an ethical opposition to using animlas for our own purposes.

Animals do die in order to provide thier eggs and milkproducts- for example, in farms where eggs are taken, it is common practice for all male chicks to be discarded into large dumpsters and suffocated in plastic bags (alongside hundreds of thier fellow chicks) and for milk to be made, there is the whole veal industry and I don't think I need to explain that one

There's a lot more to it, but I'll leave it at that and if anyone has more questions, I'll gladly answer them.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:27 PM   #12  

What exactly is whey? Is that a dehydrated dairy product or something? For some reason I thought it was cereal... Pardon my ignorance but I have never had it (and probably don't want to ) and my only experience with it is in reference to Little Miss Muffet or something people add to protein shakes
Old 11-03-2005, 02:33 PM   #13  
Opulent

Whey is a byproduct of the cheese making process (dairy). It is high in protein and is used in many snacks, shakes, baked goods and so on.

I posted a recipe and will get around to posting some more soon
Old 11-03-2005, 03:19 PM   #14  

Oh, now the curds and whey thing makes sense
Old 11-04-2005, 07:40 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I once had a short story that was published in a woman's magazine. The story had a fairy tale weight loss theme, and I refered to curds and whey as "fairy tale brand cottage cheese."
Closed Thread