Weight and Resistance Training - Questions about Pyramid Training

View Full Version : Questions about Pyramid Training

Gumbygirl
10-13-2005, 01:34 PM
I'm not new to strength training but wanted to switch things up a bit and try pyramid training. The particular one that I want to do is similiar to BFL but it is different in that it doesn't have you switch to a different exercise for the same body part on the last set (www.strength-training-woman.com). What order should I be doing my exercises to complete my upper body workout? Does it matter if I work shoulders before triceps etc....? Also, in 4-6 weeks when I want to switch thing up again, can I still do the pyramid training but do a 4 day split and still get results? Sorry about all the questions :^:

Mel
10-13-2005, 02:31 PM
In general, work from larger muscle groups to smaller. But there are always exceptions. Some people do "push-pull" workouts, working opposing muscle groups together: Back-Chest, Quad-Ham, Bi-Tri, etc. Shoulders are kind of on their own there.

For most of my 2 days per week clients, I have them do shoulders on lower body day because it's really hard to fit back, chest, shoulders, bi's and tri's into one workout. You can get a good lower body workout done in 45-50 minutes which leaves 10-15 minutes for shoulders, which is more time than they'd get if you tried to wedge them into upper body day. Just my opinion.

When you switch to a 4 day split, you'll see even better results with a pyramid training scheme :)

Mel

Gumbygirl
10-13-2005, 03:54 PM
Thanks Mel! Do you think I should just go ahead and start with a 4 day split? My problem areas are my lower half so would one day a week be enough to see results?

RobertW
10-13-2005, 05:46 PM
If you are lifting relatively heavy weights it may be hard to squat or deadlift more than once a week.

I like the fact that pyramid training has you hitting different weight and rep ranges every workout. Something there is bound to stimulate growth.

I had the most success with relatively high rep ranges (10/7/4/7 or 10/7/4). More intense pyramids (5/4/3/2/1) tended to quickly lead to overtraining.