Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 08:07 PM   #1  

Default Low Budget, But want to feed my kids (and the kids I babysit) healthy foods.

I do babysitting for two kids (ages 2 and 4) plus I have my own two (ages 2 and 1).

I make around $3 an hour...not much. I also have to provide all the food. I really don't have a ton of time, as you cna imagine with four kids running through the kitchen, so in the past few months I've gotten into convience foods.

Examples-Rice a roni with chicken and peas, pizza roll and fries, fish sticks and tater tots, pre-made meatballs and spaghetti, tuna casserole, mac and cheese and hotdogs. These meals probably cost just a couple bucks. Couple it with the gallon of milk I go through every other day and juice though and it's an hour or two off my weekly pay. Granted my own kids are eating too.

We eat alot of canned fruits and frozen veggies. As well as easy snacks like pretzels, apple suace, yogurt, graham crackers and teddy grahams, goldfish crackers, pudding cups.

I am looking for an inexpensive way to have fun, creative lunches (and snacks) with lower fat and sodium. A bonus would be to be able to eat the lunches myself, therefore eliminating my urge to munch on thier yummy yet unhealthy pizza rolls and such. Plus, it'd be great to cook once instead of twice (once for them and once for me). B/c the kids are 2 and 1 they can't really do salads or alot of raw veggies. I'm kinda stumped.

I am trying to move towards more whole foods and less processed stuff. I want my kids to eat healthier stuff, but I can't afford to buy super expensive produce and stuff, nor can I feed my kids one thing and the kids I watch something less healthy just so I can spend less money on them you know?

Any ideas? I am thinking if I maybe shop at a discount grocery chain, but they aren't open when I usually get a chance to grocery shop, and I have found thier productsto often have ALOT more sodium. Like I said I am stumped.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2005, 08:38 PM   #2  
Tryin' Again

S/C/G: 235/210/150

Height: 5'5"

Misty, I don't know if this would help you with the kids or not, but do you have a Wal Mart that you could go stock up on canned things? I buy the walmart canned fruit packed in water. It's pretty cheap. I don't know how you buy your applesauce & stuff, but it's cheaper if you buy it by the jar instead of individual servings sizes. Just buy unsweetened, instead of sugar added. They may not like it at first, but they'll get used to it. I also find that the generic bags of frozen green beans, corn, etc are fairly cheap & I know that 4 small children wouldn't eat all that much. That way, there's usually no salt added to frozen plain veggies.

I make a big pot of veggie soup maybe every other week. I use frozen mixed veggies, veggie broth or chicken broth, canned tomatoes & quick cooking barley. Barley is good and cheap as a filler, it goes a long way. I make individual meatloafs and use oatmeal instead of bread crumbs. You could also buy bulk bone-in chicken breasts, and cook them up & freeze them. Nuke it to thaw out & you could make chicken tacos, or just cube it up & feed to the kids.

I don't know if any of this helps you, but I was really poor when my DD was small and that's some of the stuff I did then too. I can squeeze a food dollar until it begs for mercy!!!
Old 10-12-2005, 08:50 PM   #3  

LOL I know what you mean Kitty, my parents didn't have alot. We relyed heavily on my Uncle bringing us dented cans from the grocery store he worked at Once he brought us a whole case of sourdough crackers, it seemed liek 10 cases, the thought of eating sour dough to this day makes me gag!

Those are great ideas. The kids love soup! I could easily make a pot of soup on the weekend. I usually get the forzen veggies on sale for like 10 for $10 or something. I stock up then.

It just seems like they eat so much junk! I usually don't spend a ton. We shop at BJ's alot and get huge bags of stuff just to throw in the oven.

Thanks for the ideas, I think they'd love chicken tacos and if I cook it ahead it will save me a ton of time!
Old 10-13-2005, 02:51 PM   #4  

Just some random stuff I found searching the internet. Hopefully this will help.

Here are snack ideas that kids like, taste good and are good for you:

Peanut butter crackers or fruit - Use 100% whole grain crackers spread on a thin layer of peanut butter. Slice an apple and dry, spread a thin layer of peanut butter on each slice.

Bunny bag - Cut fresh fruits and vegetables like carrots, apples, oranges and cauliflower. Put them in a zip lock bag. The orange gives everything a nice flavor and keeps the apple slices from turning too brown.

Smoothie - Blend low-fat milk, fortified soy milk or 100% orange juice, fruit and yogurt in a blender to make a delicious drink that tastes like a milkshake. (This is a great recipe for brown or soft bananas.)

Oatmeal raisin and banana bowl - Prepare a bowl of oatmeal and top with raisins, cut bananas and cinnamon.

Cereal parfait - Layer nonfat or low-fat yogurt, fruit and whole grain cereal in a plastic cup, grab a spoon and you have a nutritious snack ready to go.

Baked sweet potato - Bake a sweet potato in the microwave and top with 1 teaspoon pancake syrup.

100% Vegetable or fruit juice - A 4 ounce cup of 100% juice is one serving for a child. Add vegetable juice to soups for added nutrition. Help your child get 5 a day!

Power bag - Mix raisins, peanuts and dry cereal (like Cheerios or Kix) in a plastic bag. Kids love this mix and it is great for travel! (Peanuts are a choking hazard, do not offer to children under 3.)

Popcorn - Use light butter or air pop corn for a fun and high fiber snack for kids.

Slam Dunk Veggies - Cut celery and carrot sticks into thin strips and dip in low-fat ranch style salad dressing.

----------------------------------------------------

Fresh Fruit-type Snacks

(Canned fruit packed in light syrup or water is also
acceptable). Be sure it is cut into small slices, not small circles:

Apples Peaches Frozen fruit cubes (Freeze pureed applesauce, crushed
peaches,

Pears Apricots fruit juice, or any fruit into cubes.)

Bananas Melons

Gelatin with canned or fresh fruit (be sure to cut fruit in small pieces no larger than ¼ inch cubes for infants and no larger than ½ inch cubes for toddlers)

---------------------------------
Fresh Vegetable-type Snacks

(Frozen vegetables or canned vegetables with no added sodium or salt)

Soft-cooked vegetables such as carrots, asparagus tips, green beans, etc., served with a cottage cheese or yogurt-blended dried buttermilk dressing dip.

Raw vegetable strips served with small amounts of cream cheese. Avoid raw celery and carrots because they are a choking hazard.

-------------------------------
Dairy Snacks

Yogurt with applesauce or pureed fruit

Orange Creamsicles made from orange juice, yogurt and water

Yogurt dip with bananas

Yogurt Frost (Combine yogurt and fruit juice and add pureed or very soft fruit, if desired.)

Fruit Shake (Blend milk with bananas or a peach and add a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg. Be sure to blend very well.)

-----------------------------
Bread/Grain Snacks

Bagels with various soft cream spreads (Avoid spreads with nuts)

Flour or corn tortillas with refried beans, canned chili and sprinkled
with grated cheese, possibly topped with yogurt or sour cream

Potato skins sprinkled with shredded cheese, broiled and topped with
either yogurt or sour cream

English muffins or pita bread topped with spaghetti sauce, grated
cheese and lean cuts of turkey or other lean meats, broiled or baked
and cut into fourths

Quick breads or muffins made with carrots, zucchini, pumpkin, bananas,
dates and squash (Other fruits and vegetables may be used.)

Pita bread with lean sliced meat such as chicken or turkey, cheese,
lettuce and tomato in an open pocket

---------------------------------
Combination Snacks

Kabobs made with any combination of cheese, fruit, vegetables and
sliced or cubed cooked meat (remove the toothpicks before serving).

Parfait made with yogurt and pureed or chopped fruit
Old 10-19-2005, 06:56 PM   #5  

GREAT Ideas Kendrea! THANKS
Closed Thread