Old 10-09-2005, 10:55 AM   #1  

Default Breakfast ideas please

What does everyone eat for breakfast? I need to find something healthy and actually will hold me over to my snack time. I am finding that I get hungry easy if I dont eat some type of protein for breakfast. Anyone have any suggestions? I am tired of eating the same old scrambled egg and slice of wheat toast.
DBCMOM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:02 AM   #2  

There's another thread on here about breakfasts (probably in the Nutrition section)...you'll find lots of great ideas there. I normally mix about a cup of lowfat plain yogurt with Kashi GoLean cereal, and add some cinnamon and honey. I also put in frozen fruit if I have some.
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:34 AM   #3  

I don't usually eat the same breakfast every day but these are my standards:

Oatmeal: 1/2 dry oatmeal cooked with cinnamon, equal, and nutmeg. After it is cooked I stir in 1 chopped date, 1 T. raisins, 1 T. chopped walnuts, 1 T. reduced calorie syrup, and 1 T. benefiber. I'll usually have a Morning Star Breakfast Patty as well. 380 calories (depending on what the rest of my meals will be I may cut the oatmeal recipe in half to save a few calories)

I cup of grits (1/4 cup dry) with 2 t. margarine, a slice of wheat toast with 1 t. jelly, and turkey bacon or a morning star breakfast patty

Egg white omelette: 2 egg whites, green pepper, red onion, mushrooms, and 1 T. salsa conqueso. Sometimes instead of an omlette I'll scramble it up and wrap it in a tortilla instead.

lowfat cottage cheese, an 1/2-1 oz of almonds, and a banana or apple
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 12:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

I eat a huge breakfast normally, like 400 to 500 calories. That's because I'm eating 1500-2000 calories a day, and tend to spread them out. But I also need to get in protein or I die! (Well, a bit melodramatic, but I get hungry.) Here are some of my favorites:

Homemade "Egg McMuffin" - 1 light english muffin, some light margarine, 1-2 eggs worth of EggBeaters, Morning Star soy sausage patty, 2% Kraft cheese slice. About 350 calories, depending on how much you use. I usually add some fruit. I have this thing down to a science, I can make it in about 5 minutes of frantic kitchen maneuverings.

Oatmeal, fruit, and cheese: The oatmeal tends to fill me up, the fruit is healthy, and the cheese adds some protein and needed calcium for me. I mix it up between types of oatmeal, types of fruit, and whether I'm eating lowfat or full fat cheese, it's just whatever I have. Tends to be about 320 calories, and then I have something as a midmorning snack. Or sometimes a second bowl of oatmeal, if I'm feeling starved.

Cereal with fruit and 2% milk and a soy sausage patty: I forget what this adds up to calorie-wise, but I usually just go with raisin bran (sometimes Special K and some cut up banana) and toss in a soy sausage patty for protein.

I also do 'breakfast on the run' sometimes. Those are weird mornings, when I just want to eat 'junk food'. My favorite, favorite, favorite to pick up in those moods is the McDonald's fruit and yogurt parfait with granola, it's only a dollar (less than some spend on coffee!) and like 160 or 180 calories, I forget which. But I need to eat something protein along with it, like some cheese or a Luna bar. Or I'll do a bagel and light cream cheese, I just have to be careful because most bagels are humongous.

I've also been known to eat 'dinner food' for breakfast. Just, leftovers from the night before, or a frozen entree. I figure if I eat breakfast for dinner sometime, I can eat dinner for breakfast sometime.

Last edited by rabidstoat; 10-09-2005 at 12:33 PM.
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 01:53 PM   #5  

I find oatmeal to be very filling. I like to use old fashioned oats but cook them in the microwave (directions are on the box). I find them more substantial than instant oatmeal. Others use steel cut oats for this reason. I slice half a banana in each bowl, add the oats, water, splenda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook for a couple of minutes in the microwave and let it set for a couple of minutes. This morning I used an apple instead and cooked it in a smidgen of water with cinnamon and splenda for 1.5 minutes before I added the oats. Between the apple and the oatmeal, it is a lot of fiber and really fills me up for a long time. We have a lot of apples and pears still in the orchard so I am trying to use those as often as possible right now. Tomorrow I will try the pear and see how it does.
poohshunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 02:27 PM   #6  
banned

i eat shredded wheat w 12 strawberries or sometimes ill eat bran in place of the shredded wheat. some ppl mix em even. i think i wanna try mixing 1c bran w 1/2 fiber one
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 02:47 PM   #7  

Thanks for the ideas! I have a list made for the store so off I go
DBCMOM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:25 AM   #8  

- yogurt, fresh fruit, and half a cup of mini shredded wheat cereal

- soy cheese slices and WASA crisp bread, plus fruit

- veggie omelet plus slice of whole wheat toast

- cottage cheese mixed with veggies
oliviacw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 02:36 PM   #9  

I get up around 5:30, so I am usually hungry around 7:00 and again before lunchtime. I eat a small something when I get to work (8:00) and then again at 10:30 to get me to lunch. 150 calories for each of those, about 300 calories for lunch, veggies for afternoon snack and then 500 calories for dinner. I dont usually snack after dinner cuz I eat late. Smaller meals have been helping me lately cuz I am usually always hungry too.
tampagirlcmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 09:23 PM   #10  

For breakfast I've been doing a zone meal

1 cup of eggbeaters (2 eggs)
1 oz lowfat shredded cheese

1 slice rye bread
1/2 teaspoon natural peanut butter

1 cup grapes

I like this breakfast a lot and it keeps me feeling full for a long time.
Valerie Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:54 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 176/146/145

Height: 5'6"

I like to mix soy sausage, egg beaters, and some low fat cheese together. Then a glass of skim milk. Low cal and holds me over until my morning snack.
shellerooskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:36 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

I had the best breakfast ever that I'm going to have again today.

Breakfast burrito! I have a 100 calorie tortilla shell. In one pan, I use a tsp of olive oil to stir fry a lot of veggies, peppers and onions. In the other pan, I cook 1/2 cup of egg beaters. Then I slop it on the fajita shell, add a glop of salsa, and tear up a 2% Pepper Jack cheese slice into strips to lay on top of it. So good! And filling. It's like 300 calories, I usually eat some fruit with it since I'm not sticking to 1200 calories a day.
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:42 PM   #13  

farina with flaxseed
boiled egg
turkey bacon
flipafart is offline   Reply With Quote