Weight Loss Support - Why am I no longer getting results?

silversparkle
10-07-2005, 04:37 PM
I have not lost any weight for almost two months now! I took my measurments in late July and again in late September and no change. I don't understand! I have been working my butt off and I have lost weight, just nothing at all lately. What is going on??? :?:

Mel
10-07-2005, 04:45 PM
What are you eating? How are you exercising? How old are you? Any other health changes?

Mel

silversparkle
10-07-2005, 04:54 PM
I eat either a Special K Bar or Special K cereal with low fat milk in the morning. A couple of hours later I have a Dole fruit cup or banana, some sort of fruit. Lunch is a Smart Ones followed by a Yoplait Light. I drink water all day long. Dinner is usually green beans, or some other veggie. Grilled chicken or pork chop and some other side item. I work out 4-5 days a week. This includes 30 minutes of cardio and 20-25 minutes of weight machines. I am a 27 year old female and I have not had any health changes. I am pretty much doing the same thing and eating the same things when I first started losing the weight. Now I'm not getting any results.

marbleflys
10-07-2005, 05:23 PM
try to change both the food and exercise....

maybe eggs or a veggie omelette in the morning, (sounds like you need more protein), yogurt & fruit for a snack. Soup/salad for lunch (low fat dressing).

do different cardio? sometimes do less for a short time?

happydaisy
10-07-2005, 05:41 PM
I agree with Marbleflys, change up your routine. Two months is a long time though, good for you for sticking it out. Add more protein and "whole foods" versus the convenience foods and change up/intensify your routine and see what happens. Your body has probably just adapted to your plan.

Ilene
10-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Your food plan seems to be very processed with not enough fibrous vegetables and unprocessed foods. Special K is ok, but just OK, it is extremely processed, instead try oatmeal with an eggwhite omellete and veggies... Add some protein to every meal/snack, like that fruit in the morning have a LF cheese with that... Have LARGE salads. The more fiber you have the fuller you will feel, the longer your body will take to process it and will burn some calories just processing the food.

INTENSIFY your cardio, do hills, jog intermitently... Lift HEAVIER weights, don't be shy we can NOT bulk up that's a myth... Just shake things up and do things differently...

** Stacye **
10-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Thanks so much for asking this Q SilverSparkle and especially thanks to everyone for their responses ... mixing things up (food wise) is something I have to be reminded of too!

Have a great weekend!

andreaphilip3
10-07-2005, 07:16 PM
yea can you get away from the smart ones? the bars may to be blame too...

ElisabethCK
10-07-2005, 08:00 PM
It is possible you are not eating enough. Maybe you should increase your food intake a bit and see what happens.

Chubby Barbie
10-07-2005, 09:12 PM
I agree with everyone else...change it up! Try better food, oatmeal is quick in the morning like special K would be. If you’re really in a time crunch why not boil some eggs before hand and have them to eat on your way. (If I eat them, I cut them into little pieces and swallow like a pill….eggs gross me out!) More real foods, Special K and smart ones are good in a time crunch and maybe to get you started on your weight loss but your have to get back to real foods. Think outer-isles (fruits, veggies, lean meats) of the grocery store and no food with ingredients you can't pronounce. Also change up your work outs. Maybe work with free weights instead of the machines and try different types of cardio. Goodluck!

silversparkle
10-10-2005, 09:52 AM
Wow! Thanks for all the great tips. I am trying so hard not to give up. I don't know about the egg or oatmeal thing! Not a big fan of either of those. I will try and increase my fruits and veggies. I'm sort of on a budget and those can start to get expensive after a while. I have thought about changing up my routine at the gym. I guess I have just been scared too! I work at a University where I get to use the fitness center for free. I took me a very long time to get the nerve to start going. Being around younger fit and athletic people made me nervous. I was afraid I would get weird looks for being there or something. But I am over it now! I usually do the elliptical machine every day because I feel like I get the best workout from it. Guess I can start doing the bike or walking on the treadmill. Any suggestions? How often should I switch my routine around? Can someone give me an example? I have a bad ankle with screws and plates in it, so I can't can't really run. Thanks again for all the advice. I will try it!

marbleflys
10-10-2005, 10:03 AM
If you have a bad ankle, the bike and elliptical are probably better than the treadmill. You might want to just add 5-10 mins. of treadmill at an incline to see how it feels.

I'm always on a budget too....but you can get 3 lbs. of apples for $3.99 in season around here and one Smart Ones is at least $2.50. As for soups, I but low-sodium (healthy choice) and add extra veggies to chicken broth too. Sometimes I boil the broth and add an egg to make egg-drop soup for extra protein.

jillybean720
10-10-2005, 12:20 PM
I agree that those Smart Ones (or Lean Cuisines or whatever brand frozen meals) are pretty pricey. I mean, you could buy a box of instant brown rice, a package of raw chicken, and some frozen (or canned) veggies for the cost of maybe 3 of those meals, and it would be enough food to make lunch for yourself for 2 weeks if you stick to the same posrtion sizes as in those meals (I mean please, they hardly give you ANY meat in there :s: )!

Another budget tip--buy frozen fruits and veggies! That way, if you don't have to throw out the ones that go bad before you use them because they don't go bad! I have a freezer full of frozen strawberries and peaches (also good because they are the same price whether they are in season or not) and frozen corn, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, spinach...now if only I could get myself to eat all those veggies--buying them is only half the battle :p

Oh, and same with bread. I keep mine in the freezer because I always ended up having some moldy pieces at the end of the loaf before I got through it all! So I keep it in the freezer and just grab pieces as needed and toss in the toaster oven or on defrost in the microwave when I need them :)

As for breakfast, I agree that Special K is really nothing but refined carbs, which probably doesn't keep you feeling full for very long. If you don't like oatmeal or eggs, maybe some whole-grain toast with natural peanut butter? Or how about at least trying something like Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal? It has a lot more protein and fiber than that flaky stuff ;) Also, maybe add some fruit to your cereal (frozen berries are great for this!)?

silversparkle
10-10-2005, 02:05 PM
I guess I don't really think of the Smart Ones being that expensive since I am getting a meal out of it. Unlike fruit that is just a snack. The Smart Ones are fast and more convenient for me than trying to prepare something. Plus I know the serving size and calories are accurate. What is Kashi Go Lean and where can I get it at? Sometimes I have a bowl of Cherrios with fresh strawberries. I do freeze bread, but I don't really eat a lot of it. I haven't even bought bread in probably a good month. But I might try the peanut butter toast! Thanks for the tips!

chick_in_the_hat
10-10-2005, 02:46 PM
I'm with silversparkle on the cost of Smart Ones...(actually I switch around between Smart Ones, Lean Cuisine & Healthy Choice...whichever is on sale) They usually run about $2-$2.50 a piece on sale..coupons are pretty easy to come by as well. For me, the convenience is worth it. What can I say I'm lazy....at least for one meal a day.

Silversparlke are you keeping track of your calorie count by measuring what you eat? Have you tried Fitday? It's pretty handy for tracking what you are eating as well as exercise. IMO - the calories burned report is a load of hooey - if I was burning as many calories as it says I should be a waif by now... :lol3: By logging you will be able to see trouble spots in your eating patterns as well. (doing something about these troublespots is harder - I am a perfect example :s: ) Soldier on...

silversparkle
10-10-2005, 03:57 PM
chick in the hat,

No, I am sorry to say that I do not really count my calories. :o I did create an account with Fit Day about a month aga, but I really haven't used it at all. The main reason why I havent kept track of calories is that I don't really think I know how to! I know that sounds crazy! When I eat something simple like a Smart Ones or a Special K bar, it is easy to keep track since it is right there on the box. I think that is another reason why I like the Smart Ones! The hard part comes when it's dinner time. I don't really know how to find out how many calories a piece of chicken has. Then when you start adding things to it, it gets all crazy. For example when you make a salad! Just thinking about having to measure things and trying to look up how many calories is in each thing drives me nuts! So in my mind I try to keep the calories low during the day and just sort of play it by ear when it's dinner time. Not the best way to do this I know. I should probably look at Fit Day again. I think I might need to find a good book that has serving sizes and calories. I could keep this at home and look things up.

chick_in_the_hat
10-10-2005, 04:29 PM
silversparkle - you are doing so good so far!!! 21 lbs is a great accomplishment!!
The reason I think keeping track of calories going in is so important is that you might be surprised to know what your counts really are. If you are burning less calories than you are consuming, you aren't going to lose. I know it can be time consuming at first - but after a while you can pretty much at least ball park it. It's just one more way to be more aware of what you are eating. There are other sites that give pretty useful info on calorie counts - lemme go find some links.

Someone else suggested nutridiary (http://www.nutridiary.com/default.asp)...Dr. Phils book has a pretty comprehensive list of foods with calorie counts...as do other books. It's all a matter of making a new habit.

I'm not saying that calorie counting is the best or only way to go...just that it works for me :D

silversparkle
10-10-2005, 05:29 PM
I went to my Fitday account and put in my food that I have had so far today. Is there a place I can go to find out if I am above the calories, fat, carbs..... I have a total of 732 calories so far today, so I am find there. But I dont know about these other catagories! :dizzy: I am on my way to the gym so I will put that in later. Thanks for all your help and insight! ;)

barbygirl43
10-10-2005, 05:40 PM
May I suggest that for a week or so you just input your food and not worry about the other stuff. A lot of times if you are new to calorie counting it is best to just log everything you eat (no matter how high or low) so you can get a realistic idea of how many calories you are consuming and then work on modifying it. Once you've seen what you are eating in a day, if you lower the amount by 500 (but not going below 1200 a day) that will mathematically allow you to lose 1 pound a week (3500 calories). It really just takes a little while to get used to seeing where you are at and if you need to eat more or less than what you are now.

I know when I first started calorie counting I was shocked :eek: that I was consuming between 3000-4500 calories a day. I started out by aiming for about 2500 calories a day for a week or so before lowering it to 2000, 1900, 1800, and then 1700. Of course right now I pretty much know most of my calories are and just try to focus instead on portion sizes and making exercise my #1 priority. HTH.

penpal
10-10-2005, 06:02 PM
Hi Silversparkle,

I agree that it's a good idea to use a program like Fitday or Nutridiary (I use Nutridiary). I've found it's very useful to keep tabs on how many calories I'm eating. Before, I WAY underestimated how much I was eating. You could also do it with a calorie counter book and a piece of paper! The benefit of Nutridiary, etc. is that you can see how much protein, carbs and fat you are consuming - I was amazed how much fat I was eating when I thought I was eating fairly low carb.

I'm now eating around 1500 - 1600 calories a day. When I was on 1200 calories I was hungry all the time and I didn't lose as fast! Everyone has a different metabolism, but I wouldn't recommend eating less than 1200 cals.

Do you like soups? I've found them a life saver as you can make so many different soups and they are very easy to make. You can make a big pot and freeze in individual serving sizes. Most soups aren't very high in calories and you can include any kind of meat or vegetables. The canned ones are usually very high in salt, which can make you retain water.

Another good trick is to use one of your trays from a Smart Ones meal and use it instead of a plate. Just fill the sections with meat and veggies that you have cooked from scratch and it helps to keep the serving sizes down. It does take a bit of time to cook meals rather than buy them, but you can always cook something and freeze in individual servings.

Don't be discouraged if the scale doesn't budge for a while. It happens to me a lot and I just keep on keeping on until it starts to go down again - and it will for you too! :goodluck:

chick_in_the_hat
10-10-2005, 06:46 PM
Barbygirl43 is right - don't try to do too much at first...just get used to logging what you eat. But (just 'cause ya asked ;) )- if you want to see reports in fitday- there is a link to look at reports. You can look at what percentage of your calories is fat and so on. There is also a link titled Guidelines that has FAQ's...helpful if you want more info on how much of something your body needs. :D

Ilene
10-10-2005, 10:13 PM
Silversparkle -- You mention that when you make a salad you don't want to start counting calories of every little thing you put in there. Salads are the least of your worries! Specially if you have a salad of lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, celery, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, radishes, onions, ALL those vegies you can eat a tub full of and it won't be very many calories... So don't worry about those veggies, I usually don't even input them into my fitday and consider them "free" calories so to speak...

Heather
10-10-2005, 11:06 PM
heh. That is so true -- it is a pain to log all those veggies (I use nutridiary). I like to look at nutrients too, so I just enter a generic typical salad (with the veggies I usually use) as a "meal" and keep it as a guesstimate. Makes it easy.

jillybean720
10-11-2005, 06:04 AM
It does take a bit of time to cook meals rather than buy them, but you can always cook something and freeze in individual servings.
This is EXACTLY what I do. I have no time and no money (welcome to the life of a recent college grad living on her own and working 2 jobs :dizzy: ), so I buy my meat and veggies and whatever all separately and cook on one day a week (usually Sunday). I have invested in many Gladware containers, so I just make my own meals that way. This helps, since I don't have time to go shopping more than once a week (and often, only once every other week). It also gives me a variety to choose from because I can make pastas, stir-fry, chicken breast, and whatever else I want all on one day to have on hand all week (or longer, as some things make more than just 5-7 servings). My freezer is always overflowing with food :p

The idea about using the frozen dinner trays as your plates for this is an awesome one! I hadn't even considered it--then again, I don't eat frozen meals anymore because of all that sodium :o

Ilene
10-11-2005, 08:19 AM
Jill -- I've seen Gladware type containers with sections for different foods to freeze in...

jillybean720
10-11-2005, 08:20 AM
Jill -- I've seen Gladware type containers with sections for different foods to freeze in...
Yup, I have some of those...and round ones and square ones and rectangular ones and deep ones and shallow ones... :D

skinnyjeans
10-11-2005, 10:58 AM
As far as excercise goes, maybe you don't have to switch from elliptical to something else, like biking. If you like the elliptical stick with it. Maybe try doing intervals on it instead of just a steady speed. That could be enough for you to notice the difference.

jillybean720
10-11-2005, 11:07 AM
Ooh, another thing about the elliptical (which I LOVE)--I like doing intervals of going forward and backward instead of just varying speeds or resistance levels...definitely uses different muscles to go in the different directions. Maybe that could spice it up for you, too.

QuilterInVA
10-11-2005, 02:30 PM
Smartone and Lean Cuisines and the like do not have adequate nutrition to call them a meal. For any one on a budget, they should be off limits. They are a very poor food investment. If you are serious about losing, you will find the time to do what is necessary. Eating a lot of overpriced, chemical laden food is going to backfire in the long run.

silversparkle
10-11-2005, 03:52 PM
Ooh, another thing about the elliptical (which I LOVE)--I like doing intervals of going forward and backward instead of just varying speeds or resistance levels...definitely uses different muscles to go in the different directions. Maybe that could spice it up for you, too.

jillybean,

I have been doing intervals on the elliptical. Sometimes I do the backward thing...I can always feel the different muscles working when I do it too! I go for five minutes forward, five minutes backward, five minutes forward.....so on.

silversparkle
10-14-2005, 03:38 PM
Okay. Is this weird or what. I started keeping track of my calories as best as I could this week. I think I have cut down my calories pretty well. My question is how many calories should I be consuming in a day? I know there is no magic number, but I would like to have a range to try and stay with in. How do you all do this. Next...I went to do my workout today and today is my weigh in day. According to the scale, the same one I use every week, I am now down 25 pounds!?!?! Thats about a 3 or 4 pound loss since last week! Can that be right? It's also my "time of the month" right now. So I don't know what is going on!

Ilene
10-14-2005, 04:02 PM
Congrats on the weight loss... don't ask questions just run with the feeling and pounds loss... The body is a funny thing sometimes, it has a mind of it's own :lol:...

As for the daily calorie intake, well, EVERYONE is different... Start higher say 1800 or so, or less, then if you gain go down 200 cals/day or so till you lose consistently... Eventually you will hit a plateau where you will have to play around with the calories and workouts again...

Enjoy the weight loss :dance:

silversparkle
10-14-2005, 04:15 PM
Ilene,

You are sooooo right. The body is a funny thing. It can drive a person nuts! :dizzy: