South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 09:42 AM   #1  

Default where can you enter the ingredients for a recipe to get nutrition facts per serv?

I know that I have seen this somewhere a long time ago. I just don't know where. I want to use Fitday to get a more accurate picture of what I am eating. I just get confused when it comes to recipes that I use without the facts. For instance, I want to know the nutrition facts for the Bean Muffins I made this week.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:23 AM   #2  
Started SBD 1/26/04

Hey Dana I use fit day to do both. I just pick a day ahead of where I am right now and put in all of the information of something new that I am trying. I then print out the main screen that gives you the cal, fat, carbs and so on and then just delete everything so that day is clean when I get to it.

I then take the print out and put in the total of everything in as a new custom food item and I put it in as 12 servings or 10 cups or whatever the total of the recipe makes. Then when I use 1 serving or 1 cup or whatever I just go in and add that item to my food for the day by what I ate that day.

Hope this makes sense. Good luck!!
Old 10-06-2005, 10:43 AM   #3  

Yes, that does make sense. I will have to try that.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:09 PM   #4  
Who needs sleep?

I know some recipe sites I've visited have nutritional info like a food label has - same format and all. So I'm guessing there's something somewhere that lets you punch in ingredients and then sums it all up, although I don't know if it's only meal-planning software, or what. I used Fitday that way for a short while, but it got to be so tedious. The interface isn't very easy to work with if you are doing a lot of recipes; it just takes too darn long! If there was something I could just enter in all the ingredients at once instead of having to repeat the whole process for each ingredient and then again for the new food item - that'd be great!

I just don't have much time these days, and I'd rather spend it playing with DS than fiddling around trying to get my meals figured out. I'm not that much into micro-management!
Old 10-06-2005, 12:21 PM   #5  

H-Ko- So I'm not crazy. I know I have seen it somewhere. That's why I was asking. I can't find it again.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:05 PM   #6  
Who needs sleep?

There's this site: http://www.recipezaar.com/

It looks like (and I haven't tried it, so I'm not sure) you can share a recipe, and when they put it online, they add the nutritional info. You have to register to do this, and if you don't want to shell out the extra bucks for a premium subscription there are a lot of annoying pop-up ads, but it could still be useful.

I also found some software to download that will analyze your recipe, but it's just something that some guy did - so I don't know if it works or if it's safe (ie, won't demolish your hard drive, crash your os, or install viruses, spyware, malware, etc). There is a 20 day (I think - or maybe 30 day) free trial, then you have to pay for it. Since I know nothing about the security of the site or program, I'm not listing the link here - if someone *desperately* wants to give it a try and just cannot find it via Google or whatever, pm me and I'll try to find it again for you - but you try it at your own risk. Personally, I wouldn't touch it, for security reasons.

I might try the Recipezaar thing though - has anyone here tried sharing recipes there? Does it work the way I think it does, with the nutritional info? How long does it take them to put it online, or is it immediate?

I have to get back to work now - if I can, I'll poke around some more next time I pause for tea.

Last edited by H-ko; 10-06-2005 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Correcting typos
Old 10-06-2005, 04:19 PM   #7  

How about this one? I think that I will try it.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/pantry-help.html#analyzing
Old 10-06-2005, 05:16 PM   #8  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

djett, that site looks like it will be a big help. I agree with H-ko that fitday is to tedious. It takes forever to enter a day's worth of meals.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:02 PM   #9  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

I love the nutritiondata site for finding all kinds of things. Mastercook software does it too. It's pretty inexpensive software and it's a great electronic cookbook if you're in the market for one. Also lots of recipes and cookbooks available free on the 'net to download for it.
Kim
Old 10-06-2005, 06:28 PM   #10  
Who needs sleep?

I just gave nutritiondata a quick look-see, but it doesn't really look much quicker or easier than fitday. I'll take a more in-depth look some time when I'm not in the middle of homework (like...December?)!
Closed Thread