Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-04-2005, 02:23 PM   #1  
28 Yr old Vixen to be...

S/C/G: 480/480/380

Height: 5'5"

Question Do the scales lie ????

I am proud of how far along I have come!

I am wondering though about how accurate the scales I have used are????went to the mall and used the 25 cent scale which i paid 4 times to see my weight, each time was a pound or so different, and the 3rd time it was 10 pounds difference, (i had my purse on at that point??)

I weighed myself in May at a rest stop using the same brand of machine and it said 460
which I didn't believe at that time I cried so much.... but now that i look at It may very well be true, I measured myself in the end of july or august and since then I have lost 4 inches

so.... it could be entirely so that i lost 66 pounds so far, all i know is i'm not gonna go back if it was....

I am a lil sad though because I thought I was starting out at 10 pounds less than I am right now so I will have to definately kick it into a higher gear....

right now at 1200 cal a day limit with 30-40 min walking a day and at the very least 1 day at gym per week 30 min or more
Safiyah_is_Fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:40 PM   #2  
SuperFreak

S/C/G: 330/319/150

Height: 5"5

I used one of those 25 cent ones near my house when I was starting out.
and for the most part it was accurate as I would also drop in my doctors office from time to time as they had no problem with me just walking in and asking if it was okay if I weighed myself on their scale. So as long as you have a very accurate scale backing up the numbers then thats alright. But only go by what the doctors office scale says first, then work from there.
If you are using the same one over and over again that might be okay. But again those can malfunction and people let their kids play on them and you dont want to have a bad day because those scales gave you information that just is not true.
Do a call to your doctors and just tell them you are on a plan and you would like to know if its alright that you come in from time to time to weight yourself and then leave. Good ones dont have any problem with it since you are trying to get healhty and that should be their concern. All they have to do is let you in the door not like your seeing a doctor.

Last edited by MorticiaAddams; 10-04-2005 at 02:42 PM.
MorticiaAddams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:17 PM   #3  
wannaBaloser

That was excellent advice to ask if your doctor's office will let you weigh every week. If somehow they say no, try your community center, or a neighboring city community center. My community center has a very accurate scale. (darn it anyway, lol)

My personal scale gets moody in very humid weather, it can vary the result by 3 and sometimes 4 lbs. Not always up sometimes down, anyway I would rather have an accurate weight.

Keep in mind the fat cells giving up some of their content may simply be reflecting a transition period and not showing on the scale. If you incorporate some hand weights once of twice a week, it can boost your losses. Muscles use more calories and when firmer; you will have a better overall look.

Keep up the good work. Do not let anything discourage you. If a pound up makes you feel bad, let it; then straighten up and go forward with more determination. De an evaluation on your weigh in day: everything recorded in your diet and exercise journal. Decide where some tightening could be done. Sometimes it is the KIND of calories eaten and not just the total that may be holding you back.

Most of all, try to silence that little negative voice in your head, replace it with some good strong affirmative remarks.

bright blessings,
wannabealoser
wannaBaloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:27 PM   #4  

Dear Wanna I needed to read this today I stayed the same at weigh in and feeling discouraged your post has really helped me today. Thanks for posting this!
luflic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:57 PM   #5  
28 Yr old Vixen to be...

Thanks I am mostly just confused about the scales but it must be so!! 4 inches gone and only so many to go...lol.....

about the KINDS of calories your are eat splain more lucie this has been worrying me, I am pretty sure that I am keeping to a pretty good variety but i could be wrong so any suggestions would be good

lunch
usually salad, pita bread and a low fat or soy cheese

dinner
brown rice beans soy cheese green pepper tomato green onion
Old 10-04-2005, 04:28 PM   #6  

Yes, scales can vary wildly. Yes, water and other things in your body have weight, too, so as they fluctuate, so will your weight. You might want to read this article on just this topic: http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspart...ight/scale.htm.

Also, most scales don't go over 300 pounds, or will not be accurate over that. So, you'll want to be sure to use a scale that's MADE for that amount of weight, not just one that SEEMS to go up that high.

As the others have said, you know when you're doing the right thing, so try not to pay too much attention to what the scale says, especially at this stage. Seeing those numbers go down is certainly encouraging, but you have so many other measures of your success that the scale should be at the bottom of your list. Be sure to congratulate yourself for meeting challenges and when you see those BEHAVIORAL and attitudinal changes that are going to make the biggest difference in the long run. Also, take note of the changes you see in your physical relationship to the world, how your breath comes easier, you're less achy, things fit better or looser, you can reach down further, etc. After all, THAT'S what's important, not the number on the scale OR the measuring tape.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 05:05 PM   #7  
28 Yr old Vixen to be...

Thanks Funniegirl I Will Keep This In Mind!!!
Old 10-05-2005, 09:04 PM   #8  

I'd find one scale and stick to it! From my experience different scales give me different weights. I wouldn't use that to measure my progress though. I'd used inches, how I feel and how my clothes fit (like funniegirl said.)
Just a thought about your diet though...you don't have any lean meats or a breakfast in your example. You might want to add a break (no matter how small) and lean meats. Also, the healthyness of soy is debated about. I don't know if it's good or bad but I'd try to find added ways to get a wide range of proteins. It seems your carbs are healthy.
Chubby Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:55 AM   #9  
28 Yr old Vixen to be...

thanks, I will keep that in mind, I actually had chicken a night ago so im trying but my husbanddoes not like eating meat so i try not to bring it in the house or i get stared down ha ha ha! i also have been eating fruits lately as snacks as well i found out i have a better taste for them once i stopped eating refined sugars!! ech ech
Old 10-10-2005, 06:43 PM   #10  

Wow...I wish my husband didn't like eating meat....our grocery bill would be cut in half. Try freezing grapes and other fruits. I like them better when frozen.
Chubby Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:55 PM   #11  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

No matter what the scale says you are on the right track..WAY TO GO Safiyah_is_fluffy!!!!!!!!!!!!
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:09 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Barbie -- I hadn't thought of freezing grapes! I've been packing them in my husband's lunch (trying to get him healthier too) and that might keep them longer! Are they squishier though, when they thaw? (He can be a little picky...)
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 05:25 PM   #13  
28 Yr old Vixen to be...

thanks Gina and Barb yeah meat is evil or so i have been told, he only eats rice and veggies allll day, damn goat i swear!!!
Old 10-11-2005, 11:22 PM   #14  
Author

I am new here, but it sounds like the place I need to be. I have about 60 lbs to go and I have lost 16 on my own. It just seems to help when you feel like you are not alone. The best scale and the most accurate are like the doctors use: The ones where you move the weights. They are expensive but a good investment if you want to keep an accurate check on your progress.

I have tried several different scales and I weigh a different amount on each one of them. If possible, you should weigh on the same scale every time, the first thing in the morning, in your nightclothes, before you have anything to eat or drink. Your weight changes during the day. I have been on so many diets—I know what to do. It’s the doing it, that is the hard part. Right?

Safiyah_is_fluffy,
May I just tell you, you have such a pretty face. You are going to be a knock out when you reach your weight loss goal. Keep at it girl.

All of you ladies seem to be doing it right. Keep up the good work.
Donna Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:32 PM   #15  
28 Yr old Vixen to be...

Thank you Donna