Old 10-03-2005, 06:16 PM   #1  
it's always something

Default So, I have a bag of edamame in my freezer ...

And I don't know what to do with it. I've never tried edamame before, but have heard that most people love it. What would you suggest I do with it for my first experience? Please suggest something good, so I won't be scarred for life My first experiences with tofu and eggplant were so bad that I've never had the courage to either of them again, lol.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 06:49 PM   #2  

Default Edamame is YUM!!

Oh goody for you. I hope you got the kind still in the pods. Those are the most fun to eat.

I don't have any recipes, because the only way I've ever eaten them is just boiled in salted water for 5 minutes and then I pop open the pods in my mouth one by one.

Suzanne.. tofu and eggplant are your friends. I have several tried and true eggplant recipes on my review page http://allrecipes.com/reviews/rvbyrvwr.asp?rvwr=168002

I recommend scrolling thru to the second page and making no cream pasta primavera. YUM!!

We can attempt tofu next time.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:23 PM   #3  
it's always something

Ok, so you don't actually eat the pod, like you would with sugar snap peas? Should I put anything on them, like butter? I'll try plain salted first

Mmm, the pasta primavera sounds good. I'm going to the farmers market this weekend, maybe I'll pick up some eggplant. The last time I tried it was sometime back in the late 70s. Mom made Eggplant Parmesan and it smelled so heavenly, I couldn't wait to dig in! I'd never had eggplant before, and did not anticipate the mushy texture. It took me by surprise, and not a pleasant one at that. I never tried it again. I've seen recipes for grilled eggplant (sliced for sandwiches) that looked good, but I just haven't tried it.

We need a "Fear Factor - the Veggie edition" thread lol, to encourage us to try veggies that we wouldn't normally touch with a ten foot pole.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:16 PM   #4  

I've never eaten the pods. They feel sorta hairy so I don't think they'd be good to eat. You try first and let me know. No butter needed. Season the water up and you won't need a thing. You can almost snack on these things like you would chips or popcorn in front of the tv.

When you roast the veggies, along with the eggplant.. I really roast em good.. so the texture gets a tad chewy. I roast at 350 for an hour, tossing from time to time. I know lots of people get put off by the mushiness. That's why I love roasting so much.

I just started eating eggplant the past few years, along with a lot of other veggies. I don't think there are any bad veggies.. just bad recipes.

If you like spinach, I have a pasta sauce with spinach and tofu that is the bomb.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:49 PM   #5  
Determined

Edamame is soooo yummy! I love it in the pods as well, though I don't eat the pods. You kind of suck the beans out of the pods. You can also pop them out. I boil them with salt and sometimes with this creole seasoning to make them hot.
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:32 PM   #6  
it's always something

Linda, I LOVE spinach and would appreciate the recipe, thanks I roast a lot of vegetables, such as asparagus and green beans, and they really have a wonderful texture and flavor. I have a cookbook from the River Cafe that has the most incredible roasted vegetable recipes in it. Everything is rich and earthy, and so perfect for the cool air that is approaching.

I fixed the edamame tonight and quickly discovered that the pods are not edible I expected to come back here and complain that they tasted too green, lol, but they were actually good. I can't imagine that I'd snack on them often, but I'll definitely buy them again. Happydaisy, I'm going to try your suggestion of seasoning them with creole seasoning, sounds like a great idea!
Old 10-03-2005, 11:05 PM   #7  

Default Pasta with Spinach Pesto sauce (tofu)

Ok, here ya go:

* 16 ounces fresh spinach, washed and chopped
* 6 ounces low-fat, firm silken tofu
* 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon minced garlic
* 1/8 cup low-sodium chicken broth
* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese - I leave this out and instead use a little cheese on top - fresh real stuff, not the green can
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
* 10 ounces fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
* 6 ounces fresh sliced shiitake mushrooms
* 1/2 cup diced red onion
* 1/4 cup bacon bits - turkey bacon works as does turkey pepperoni
* 1 pound penne pasta - whole wheat of course

DIRECTIONS:

1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. While pasta is cooking, in food processor or blender, combine spinach, tofu, lemon juice, garlic, broth, cheese, pepper, and Italian seasoning, process until smooth. Set aside.
3. Spray a large non-stick saute pan with cooking spray. Over medium heat, cook onions and mushrooms until tender. Reduce heat to low, add pesto mixture and heat until hot.
4. Toss pasta with sauce and bacon bits. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired. NOTE: If sauce seems too thick, thin to desired consistency with pasta cooking water or broth.

I think this is a delicious introduction to tofu. I've frozen portions of the sauce and pasta and had it reheat just fine. Gets a little water in it, but stir it up and its still good.