General Diet Plans and Questions - Body for Life #7!!!

View Full Version : Body for Life #7!!!

susanje
06-18-2001, 11:13 PM
Body for Life #7
Our Introductory Material.

Check this post for general information about :
1. Body for Life (what it is and how it works).
2. BFL links (Please let me know if you have more!) and
3. a short critique by Mrs. Jim at the end of her week 3

BFL eating program in a nutshell (see book for more details):
six meals a day 2-3 hours apart consisting of balanced (or close to balanced) protein/carb using fist/palm method of measurement.
Recommended grams per day: divide lean body weight by 6 and that is how much carbs/protein you should have at each meal but it tends to correspond to your palm (protein) and fist (carbs). Add green veggies to 2 meals per day. Drink 8-10 glasses of water per day.

Because of the six meal requirement, some people find it convenient to have Meal Replacement Drinks and/or Bars on hand. This is not a requirement but a convenience.

Meal Replacement Shakes and Bars (Shakes are better IMHO). Look for good ratios of protein to carb and low sugar (Myoplex by EAS and Met Rx not anything like Slimfast

Vitamins: suggest multivitamin

Supplements: l-glutamine for faster muscle recovery and immune system (this is not required but almost standard fare on BFL)

Supplements optional: many options but few (other than creatine) that is standard fare.

Workout schedule (see book for more details): 47-60 minutes intense (using supersetting and drop sets) weight trainining 3 times a week working lower and upper body on different days.

20 minutes intense interval cardio 3 x a week (see the BFL book)

Free Day: One day a week no workout and eat any thing you please, as much as you please.

Rest: 12 weeks of program with one day of rest each week and then one week of rest between each 12 weeks.

Mental requirements: commitment and dedication

Body for life Links

~~~My own page with week 11 pix (more work on it after I finish ttaking after pix)

http://home.att.net/~s_j_e/bflweek10.htm

AND

'round the net bfl links:

http://*************.com/group/bodyforlife

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bodyforlifeplus
(for plus women)

http://www.hussman.com/eas/

http://www.bodyforlife.com/

http://www.leanandstrong.com/

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bodyforlifewomensclub
(for women)

http://www.eas.com

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bodyforlife

http://www.bflrecipes.bigstep.com

http://www.bflsupport.com

http://www.gymamerica.com/gti/exerc...ted_demo_index/
(Thanks Christie!)

http://www.planetkc.com/exrx/Lists/Directory.html

http://bodybuilding.about.com/recre...ing/?once=true&

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/BootCamp.asp
(AB BOOTCAMP!!!)

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp
(HIIT)

From BFL #3 Thread: Mrs. Jim's critique at the end of Week 3

Woo! Today's end of Week 3...
...I'm feeling great - my arms are sore (not unbearably so) from yesterday's UBWO...

For the remaining 9 weeks, I've downloaded and printed copies of the progress reports, then written down the strength training routines, with the dates on top (not the planned weight to lift though - I write that in the night before). Each week, I'll pull out the three strength training routines for that particular week and put them on my refrigerator to grab on my way to the gym each morning!

My opinion is, if you want to truly succeed at losing weight in any case - not just BFL - it requires some advance planning, reading/researching, etc. When you're considering a weight-loss/fitness plan, don't just go blindly into it. Do some reading and research. Talk to people (on line or in person) about how they've done on the plan - preferably those who have done the plan in the past, or for more than a few weeks. Ask yourself "Can I stay on this plan for X amount of weeks? Will I be able to KEEP the weight off? Can I afford to do this?"

Let's face it, BFL isn't for everyone (though I would strongly encourage all to give it a look!), just like WW or other plans don't work for everyone. It's important to find a plan you can live with for an extended period of time!

The things that appealed to me about BFL were:

*The structure of the plan - I've lifted weights in the past, but didn't have an actual routine to make them more effective. I like the way BFL's weight training is set up and timed - it's fast paced and actually enjoyable!

*Even though I'm doing less cardio than in the past (where I would typically spend 80 minutes on the EFX, followed by 5 minutes on the treadmill and 10-15 minutes lifting weights, six or seven days a week, in addition to long hilly bike rides on the weekends) I find I'm getting more out of it. My typical BFL cardio workout day consists of doing the 20 minute solution (using a HRM to monitor my intensity), THEN doing a 40-minute easy 'jog' keeping my HR low (120-140 HR) just because I enjoy it...I still do my Friday Spin class but only after my strength training and usually only stay for the first 35 minutes (primarily because of my work schedule).

*Another great thing is the FREE DAY...can't say enough about it. It's kind of exciting to plan what I'm going to be eating on Sunday! In addition, Jim and I usually go cycling or are out and about, so it's not like I'm hanging around the house pigging out...I still don't know what I want tomorrow...we did Mexican last week...maybe Italian??

Well, gotta go - my Myoplex is ready! Later...

Labmom
06-18-2001, 11:46 PM
I posted over on BFL 6 page 2?? Not sure I'm following where we are to post. :dizzy: Let me know how to track you down!! Cris

MrsJim
06-18-2001, 11:54 PM
I'm going to go ahead and close out the previous thread - you can read it but you can't post to it.

Labmom, I order my stuff from Netrition and VitaGlo. If you order from Netrition via the Lean & Strong website they get a small contribution to continue that forum, plus you get a bunch of free stuff. However, Vita Glo does have free shipping and really low prices! Just remember to save your receipt/shipping docs if you are going to 'officially' enter the BFL challenge - you do have to show proof of purchase of EAS products (doesn't specify how many, though - I guess a $1.19 Myoplex Lite bar would qualify!) to do so - whether or not you order from EAS directly.

I just posted my 8 week progress photos on www.leanandstrong.com - click on "Libraries & Pics" and go to "Transformation Gallery". I'm MrsJim there too!

ShelleyM
06-19-2001, 07:53 AM
Mrs. Jim---Is all I can say is WOW!!!! You are looking great!!

I had a good 1st day. I only drank 7 cups of water, though. I am going for 10 today!! I was in the bathroom constantly!! Today I won't wear overalls at work!!!!

I am planning on jogging or biking the 20 minute thing after work today. I know I can reach a 10 on jogging, since it is soooo hot out there at 4:PM in the afternoon!

Labmom-Unfortunately, I don't like the Myoplex bars. I only like Luna Bars, and I think they have too much sugar to use on this program. The only Myoplex bars I can stomach are the toffee ones.

My eating yesterday was good. However, instead of the last meal being a shake, I had a bowl of sugarfree Healthy Choice ice cream. I know I shouldn't but I am so used to having something cold and creamy at night that I did. I am trying to journal-which I did yesterday, but I have a hard time doing something so rigid. I want to make this work for me, even if it takes longer. Right now my goal is to do without sugar, drink all the water, and tone up my body.

Susanje-I can feel my arms today, so I guess it was a good idea to start out with lighter weights. Do you use a barbell for lower body or dumbbells? I am afraid that I won't have enough time to add plates between each set if I use the barbell.

Talk to you later!!

susanje
06-19-2001, 10:27 AM
HI Shelley,

Before BFL I always had sorbet before bed. It's a habit I had to break. Sorbet on free day only.

For creamy and cold do a Myoplex Vanilla Lite shake with lots of ice and to make it CREAMY add a few teaspoons of sf/ff vanilla pudding or Chocolate Creme Lite and add sf/ff chocolate pudding. It works for me. I still miss my sorbet but it will impede my progress.

A minute is plenty of time to change weight plates on a barbell. Barbells are best for deadlifts and squats though I use dumbbells fr lunges. I believe you can use dumbbells for all LBWO but I prefer the barbell for the deadlifts because it's easier to keep form.

Sounds like you're on your way!!!
Susan

susanje
06-19-2001, 10:31 AM
MRS JIM!!!!

I know I posted this on L&S but you are looking MAHVELOUS!!!

Loved your pix!!! Very nice progress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep up the good work.

-Susan

MrsJim
06-19-2001, 10:46 AM
Can you tell that we just got the digital camera by the quality of the photos?? ;) The first two were taken with disposable cameras. I swear we're never going back to film again!

After my workout this morning I couldn't wait to see if anyone had a response to my pix. I'm so glad! The only thing I regret is not taking measurements with a tape measure before starting the Challenge. I do hope that my photos (as well as susanje's etc) will motivate others to take a closer look at the BFL program. It has got to be the best program out there - healthy eating (not unrealistic or expensive), easy to fit into your day (who doesn't have 20 minutes to do cardio or 45 minutes to weight train?) and you get that great FREE DAY!

I believe I mentioned earlier that I am going to STOP weighing myself every Sunday. Those numbers on the scale don't mean diddly-squat - I haven't lost much 'scale weight' in the eight weeks. So I'm going to wait four weeks till I step on that scale again. Even though the scale hasn't moved much my 'pants-o-meter' has really been working overtime - even my size 8 DKNY black jeans are getting in the baggy stages! My legs are the most stubborn bodypart and I don't expect to see much definition in them until sometime midway thru C2.

A short while back, somebody emailed me privately and implied that because Bill Phillips (author of BFL) endorses Myoplex that BFL is right there with Jenny Craig and other 'diets' that require you to buy their foods, etc. First off, he says in his book that it is only a CONVENIENCE. Second, if you do choose to use a MRP, you don't necessarily need to use Myoplex (but I think it's the tastiest) and most importantly, you can shop around and get fantastic deals on the stuff - especially if you buy the big 42-serving boxes (I paid an average of $1.13 a serving for the 42-pack Myoplex Lite). My grocery bills have actually gone DOWN, mostly because I'm focusing on fresh foods and the fruits and veggies right now are out of this world!

I am really excited by the responses here and at L&S. It's motivating me even more to keep up the intensity!

I'm going to see if I have a chance to update my website in time for my 12-week mark which will actually be a couple of days short since we are leaving for Yosemite on Thursday 12 July. We'll be there until Sunday and on Monday I'll begin Challenge 2!!

I'm already thinking of where to take my 12 week pix. Maybe in Yosemite or at Rancho Polhemus with my new horse friends around me - or riding one bareback!

Time to hit the shower. See ya!!!

blastit
06-19-2001, 11:26 AM
MrsJim - I must say WOW your pics are great. I bet you feel great when you look at those pictures.

I don't know if I will be brave enough to post my pictures when I have some progress to report. :o

Also someone saying that Body For Life is like Jenny Craig - totally wrong take from me I did Jenny Craig in 1990 when from 220 to 163 in about five months, added some weight training looked pretty good, kept the weight off for two years, but old habits starting sneaking in like pizza, french fries, desserts. Jenny Craig food is not all that. At least I can still go to the grocery store and once a week I can eat anything I want I like that! You can't do that on Jenny Craig and Bill Phillips say in his book that if you don't use Myoplex this will still work! Please no if you are using Jenny Craig don't be offended if that's the program you want to use that is your personal choice just like BFL is mine.

Susan - does the Myoplex get thick when you mix/blend it? I am using Whey Protein right now, but I am subsituting one to two shakes a day because it's easy. I am thinking about getting some Myoplex at the first of month when my GNC discount card is good.

I dropped by a small GNC here locally in Rite Aid looking for Myoplex bars all they ahd was Myoplex Delux I had a half of one yesterday in Chocolate Fudge - not great, but not totally disgusting - I have a Peanut Butter one to try too.

Has anyone here used saveonsupplements.com? I have tossed around the idea of ordering some stuff from them.

I may try adding some SF/FF pudding to my Whey Protein and see if that helps the taste. My favorite shake is OJ with three strawberries, ice and protein blended to make what I consider one tasty shake, I just afraid that it has too much carbs - any input will be welcome.

Back to work - I will try to check in again later today.

Susan:)

susanje
06-19-2001, 11:51 AM
Hi Susan,

OJ is a high glycemic carb so best to not use as a foundation for a shake. I use Orange Jubilee Myoplex. It is 42 grams of protein and 21 or so of carbs so I cut it in half and add an orange to the shake. That is very very yummy. Sometimes I add strawberries or pineapple instead of orange. Because I get to cut it in half, it is less expensive and lasts longer. Designer Protein has a berry protein shake that is very good and I have gotten it through vitaglo.com. I believe it is called AbsBerry or something like that and MetRx has Berry Blast. I usually add fresh fruit to both of these.

The vanilla creme lite Myoplex is thick to begin with but I thicken it with ff/sf jello pudding.

I buy my shakes at netrition.com and also vitaglo and sometimes saveonsupplements. I look for deals on the web. To me, GNC is good in a pinch if they're having a sale ( I will go there for Met Rx Classic Vanilla because they seem to have it on sale a lot but not EAS products).

Hope that helps!
Susan

susanje
06-19-2001, 11:54 AM
BTW, I've given up on bars. I have a box of EAS Toffee Crunch and I will use in a rare emergency pinch but overall I hate them. They taste awful and if you go to the better tasting kinds, you're battling sugar and not enough protein.

Love those shakes though. :)

blastit
06-19-2001, 12:04 PM
Thanks Susan! I will be leaving the OJ out. Are bananas high glycemic carb too? I know that they aren't on his list. So that's why I ask. I will continue to add the strawberries though. I tried the Peanut Butter Myoplex Deluxe bar and it's okay better than the chocolate I only ate half of it though just too much. I still have a lot to learn about this program. I read a friends book, but I want to get my own copy the next time I am near a bookstore, just have been near one lately. I have been using his measuring of the hand and fist. Do you do that?

Has anyone used EAS's Phen-Free on thier aerobics day?

Susan

susanje
06-19-2001, 12:25 PM
Hi Susan,

I use palm/fist but I'm not a great eyeballer. I had to figure out my daily allowance of protein, divide by 6 and then measure it on a food scale for a while until I could really see it.

I believe bananas are high glycemic but one occasionally in a shake should be okay. It will not spike the insulin the way OJ will.
I find that Zone materials have great explanations about glycemic values of carbs. If you have any of those (I consult them on BFL because I have all the Zone books). If Barry Sears cut the level of fat and went to palm/fist, the Zone would be BFL eating. I liked the Zone but all the block stuff made it seem like algebra to me. But the importance of frequent eating and low glycemic carbs is an important part of the Zone and also BFL so that is a good source of info for figuring out which carbs to eat.

My favorite shakes:

Morning: Met Rx classic vanilla with half a cup of coffee,(sometimes I add sf cappucino mix) and Udos.
Myoplex Orange Jubilee (half) with an orange and Udos.

Afternoon: Absberry by Designer Protein with some fresh or frozen fruit thrown in. Berry Blast by MetRx with some fresh or frozen fruit thrown in

Evening (dessert!!!): half Orange Jubilee with sf/ff vanilla pudding (Cremesicle!)
Myoplex Vanilla Creme with pudding

Occasionally make my own with fresh and frozen fruit (not fruit juice!) and protein powder...............very good.

MsLiz1956
06-19-2001, 01:22 PM
MrsJim ~ Shows ya how BFL minds think alike - I just posted my latest pic at L&S, before I saw that you had put yours there! You look GREAT!! Isn't it exciting to see the changes?! BFL has sure changed my life, not only my body!

About the other comments & experiences ~ I've been doing this so long that I rarely use the meal replacements any more. I like the taste (and cost!) of real foods & am now used to preparing, carrying & eating ALL that STUFF!

I cycle in and out of various supplements, depending on what my body seems to be needing at any given time. I absolutely SWEAR by glutamine, though. If I could only have one supplement, that would be it!

More later - I just wanted to check in!!

MrsJim
06-19-2001, 01:41 PM
If you're using birth control pills, Phen-Free is something you may want to NOT use - since it has St. John's Wort in it. That can lower the effectiveness of your birth control pill - you might want to have a chat with your doctor first to make sure that the St. John's Wort won't mess up your birth control!

Just to be on the safe side, I don't use Phen-Free myself.

Bananas - I don't have my 'authorized foods' list in front of me (I'm at work right now) but I do know that the Myoplex Recipes pamphlet that is sometimes included in the box includes recipes that contain bananas. I don't believe they are especially high-glycemic but I'm staying away from them right now because I love them and tend to go way overboard on them! Mostly as far as fruit goes, I'm eating melon, peaches, and apples (plus some cherries since they are in season right now).

I've never liked OJ or any kinds of juices, they are a bit too sweet and acidy for my taste...

Bars - I find at work I HAVE to use bars. Our cafeteria closes at 3:00 and they don't have anything especially BFL-y anyway, so it's handy to have some Myoplex Lite Bars on hand. What I do now is about an hour before Meal #4 at 4:00, I open up a bar, cut it into small pieces, wrap it back up and pop it in the freezer in our work kitchen. (The first time I froze a Myoplex Lite bar it was as hard as a rock for 30 minutes - couldn't bite into it). Then I make sure I drink a LOT of water with it.

As soon as my box is gone, though, I'm going to switch to the Low-Carb Myoplex bars. BTW, I hardly ever buy anything at GNC - they are so expensive (even on the first Tuesday of the month when I don't seem to have any money on hand anyway - they timed that perfectly with when my rent is due!). I did order from saveonsupplements.com but I really prefer Netrition.com and Vitaglo.com as far as price!

ShelleyM
06-19-2001, 03:12 PM
Susanje-I know this sounds silly, but what is Udos?
I will try the Myoplex with the ff/sf pudding. Right now, the only Myoplex packets I have are the tropical ones, so I am going to use them up before I go out and buy more (besides that, I can't afford them right now.) A friend of mine gave me some NOW Whey Protein Shake in chocolate, which I am going to try also. This morning I bought the EAS chocolate fudge low-carb pre-mixed drinks from Walmart. I am going to see how these taste, too.

I am at work now, but after, I plan on doing my cardio.

blastit
06-19-2001, 04:53 PM
Question Time Again: How much weight did you start with when you started working out?

I know I will need to add weight as I get stronger, but I guess I think I need to be working with heavier weights for this to do any good although I probably couldn't lift anything heavier than what I am doing. I am hitting my 9's and my 10's. I am going to remember Susanje's saying body for life, I am building a body for life.

Susan

MrsJim
06-19-2001, 05:02 PM
When BFL-ers refer to Udos, that's an oil blend (actually a few different oil blends) called "Udo's Choice". There's a Perfected Oil Blend, Fast Food Blend, etc. Haven't used them yet but I'm ordering some today. Just had to get over that "dietary-fat-is-bad-for-me" mindset I've had for eons.

There's a website somewhere that explains how those good oils help you - also Muscle Media mag has had some articles.

Speaking of the Bill Phillips 'mantra' - I still use that - but I don't say it out loud anymore, just in my head. It really helps with the timing - so many people just go too darn fast in the gym and use momentum rather than muscle power. "Body-for-LIFE" when you lift the weight up, hold for a second, then slowly down "I-Am-Building-My-Body-For-LIFE". Sounds kinda weird but hey, it works. It's in the book where Bill talks about his typical UBWO.

MsLiz1956
06-19-2001, 05:30 PM
Oooh, OUCH! I agree, MrsJim!

Sloooowwwing down those reps is crucial! And blastit don't worry about how much weight you're using! I started out with 3 pound dumbbells on many of my upper body exercises! I'm now working on hitting my July 4 goal of bench pressing 120# (barbells, not dumbbells)! I'm at 100# and counting...and I was such a weenie when I started! :lol:

Just a warning...it's the second half of the rep (the lowering part) that produces the soreness afterward! I remember one time falling for somebody's challenge to do squats on the Smith machine using something like a 20-second count on the second half of the rep...I could barely walk the next day!!!! :o

susanje - I'm with you - eeewwww!!! I though the EAS bars, especially the low carb ones, were GROSS!!!! :rolleyes:

Labmom
06-19-2001, 11:30 PM
Hi, BFL Team!

Mrs. Jim LOOKING GOOD!:spin: Congrats on your great work!

Okay, maybe I'm just a sugar freak, but I like the Myoplex Lite Raspberry and Apple Spice bars - and actually I find the Chocolate shakes a bit too thick and ?Chalky? not sure what that taste is - but if I put instant coffee in it the mocha flavor is just right.

Thank god for the bars or I'd never get my meals in....actually, I still haven't gotten all 6 in. It's my goal every day and yet I haven't made it. (Lecture me, please!)

I haven't tried any of the fruity shakes yet, tho I've heard others say they like them - I may try those so I can put in some real fruit like you're suggesting.

I feel badly for my friends who are struggling with all their different weight loss efforts - they all feel that BFL is too "regimented." I don't get it - most of them are trying to exercise every day - so why not exercise effectively? And the food is so easy (except for eating 6 meals :^: ) You can certainly get enough sweet if that's your weakness...Oh, well, we all know we have to find the program that works for us or we're wasting our time. Not sure why I don't find it "regimented" of course, there are mornings that it's tough to get up early enough for the weight work out (with having to work out my labmonsters first) and work is so very busy that at times it's tempting to just go into the office early - but I'll go in and work on a weekend rather than skip a workout! I'm such a believer that this is it!!

Well, friends, I have to crash (so I can get up extra early and workout so I can get into the office early) :wave:
Cris

MrsJim
06-20-2001, 01:37 AM
Most 'diet' programs out there are WAY more 'regimented' than BFL!!!

So, you have to eat six small meals a day?? I remember the days when I was eating ONE BIG MEAL - ALL DAY!!

Most commercial weight loss programs (the ones that cost big buck$) usually have an EXTREMELY regimented eating plan all written out for you every day. Especially the ones where you buy your food/supplements from them.

No, I think the problem a lot of people have with BFL is: THE WORKOUT IS STRENUOUS. IT'S HARD WORK. Sure, it's done quickly - in less than one hour - but Bill Phillips pulls no punches when he says you should be hitting '10's' in each set to see real results.

If you look at most 'diets' out there, the exercise programs are as follows:

Walk for thirty minutes a day.
Gentle, moderate exercise (thanks to Covert Bailey for publicizing that little myth) is better for weight-loss than strenuous exercise. (Remember the Health Rider?? How many people do you think actually lost weight using that gadget?? Or even broke a sweat?)

Susanje always posts this site http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp at the beginning of the threads. This article pulls no punches - if you want REAL RESULTS, you have to work HARD and make a maximum effort. If you want to look like a '10' you have to hit 10's in your workout! That's the real secret of BFL (one of them anyway!)

I have to take a bath now before I go to bed - had a riding lesson this evening and I don't want to smell like a horse!! Take care!

ShelleyM
06-20-2001, 07:59 AM
Blastit-For my UBWO, my first day I started with 8,10,12,15 lb, then dropped back down to 12 and 8 for my last reps. I felt it yesterday, even though the weights were not that heavy. On my next UBWO, I am starting with 10 and going up from there. On my first LBWO, which I completed this morning--I used the same amount of weights as upper body. I plan on increasing them also, since I couldn't hit a 10. I think I did pretty good though, for the first time.

Yesterday I did my cardio-a 20 min jog/walk. I am not used to doing bursts of speed, so I know I hit a 10. After, I just did a fast walk for another 15 minutes.

Mrs. Jim- I can't seem to count and chant at the same time!! I forget which rep I'm on when I do that. I am trying to go slower without chanting!

Did great yesterday on water and eating, although I had the FF/SF Healthy Choice Ice Cream again. I paid for a couple of hrs. later! At 1:AM I had horrible stomach pains. Guess that will teach me to have a Myoplex instead!

I am sooo into this! I feel great!

ShelleyM
06-20-2001, 08:03 AM
Whoops!! Forgot to ask everyone. Do you all journal your food? I have a hard time doing it (not enough time in the day!)

MrsJim
06-20-2001, 10:37 AM
I do keep track of my food (except on Free Day). Actually I find I'm slipping a bit - because I pretty much eat the same thing every day - at least during the work-week.

I'm still using www.fitday.com to keep track. When I first started BFL I used the "Eating-for-Life" Progress Reports to PLAN my meals (that's really important especially in the beginning - planning ahead - I did that the night before). Then recorded on Fitday.

Bill Phillips had another great idea - do your food shopping for the week on Free Day - when you're satisfied - you're less likely to make bad food choices.

I do like to have ice cream on Free Day but I will only buy what I know I'll eat that day - a cone, a pint, whatever. Then it's gone by day's end and not sitting in the freezer teasing me all week!

blastit
06-20-2001, 11:15 AM
I want to thank everyone for the input/advice. I am really working hard to make this work for me. I don't think it is that strict. I am not going hungry and basically during the week I eat the same things anyway regardless of what plan I am trying. So this is working out fine. I do journal my food everyday and my exercise because that helps me stay focused and lets me see some visual progress (not sure if that makes sense).

I will be traveling out town this weekend, so I am going to sit down tonight to come up with a plan for Saturday. Sunday is no big deal cause I will just eat whatever.

Susan

MsLiz1956
06-20-2001, 12:04 PM
Labmom ~ I always love it when someone who's having NO success looks at someone who IS having success and has the nerve to tell the successful person's program is "too ANYTHING"!!!! YIKES!!! Urge to slap! :lol: Sorta like a convicted felon giving legal advice to a law-abiding citizen! What's wrong with this picture??? Just laugh and keep on working out...then compare pictures in 6 months and see who wins!!!

Oh, and... :nono: eat ALL those meals, girl!!! Otherwise you'll find yourself going backwards 'cause your poor bod can't keep up with the demands of the workouts!

Shelly ~ I was a fanatic about journaling. Note "was" being the operative word! The more consistent I am with journaling, the more consistent I am with results.

MrsJim ~ You must be thrilled with your results so far!!! You've definitely got this down!

=== Have all of you seen Pam Brown's results? She's a wonderful gal and a real inspiration. If you haven't seen her pix and read her story, you MUST go to LeanAndStrong.com. She started out quite obese and a year later looks incredible! Her pix are on the "libraries" link on the Transformations Page - Pam Brown's Challenge. The most recent set is under the Events Page. Quite remarkable!

Have a great day, all!

susanje
06-20-2001, 12:13 PM
Shelley,

Since I eat basically the same thing every day and 3 of my meals are shakes, I really haven't journalled in weeks but that is because I've gotten very used to it and it just flows now. I did journal in the beginning for both workouts and food but now I have such a rhythm that I don't. BUT I will begin again when I start Challenge Two because I'm going to change some of my workouts and see how it goes. After the first four weeks, when I had not lost any inches and was actually packing some on, I tried to figure out my exact input in both calories and WW points, I journalled that way for a week or so. Hussman says that if you haven't lost on 12 weeks of a challenge you are not creating a caloric deficit. Well, I was and I figured the lbs/inches would come off sooner or later and they did. However, once I started taking the inches off and could really eyeball a fist/palm portion, I stopped journalling but will begin again in C2.

For chanting, how bout body for life 1, I am building my body for life 1?

Susan

susanje
06-20-2001, 12:22 PM
Re: Pam B and BFL for large women

MsLiz,

I was on L&S already when I started the BFL thread over here.

I had been a member over here for a year and a half. If you went through old threads you would find me on EVERYTHING, WW, Jenny Craig, Phentermine, Meridia, the Zone, Xenical, Larry North Slimdown. Every single thing. I came over here and started the BFL thread because I think that a lot of women with a lot of weight to lose would not find themselves on a site like L&S.
Even though most of us are over there on L&S, I think it is important to keep this alive over here so that more women who are frustrated and despairing, as I was, can know about BFL.

The testimonials are there. There is Pam and Mina and a host of others who are doing BFL with a lot of weight to lose and being successful. There is a BFL plus club for large women on Yahoo clubs as well.

I keep it alive over here because I know how depressed and hopeless I was and how I had tried EVERYTHING (and my activitiy on other threads for the 1.5 years before I found BFL is testament to that). I just hope that we women of 3FC can keep showing other women who have given up hope that there is something that works if you work at it.

BFL has relieved my obsession with food. I'm never hungry and I use food only as fuel. If I crave something, I have it on Free DAy and BE DONE WITH IT. I have energy and my mood has improved drastically.

Here's the difference between BFL and everything else: on everything else I was always fighting the urge to "cheat" to go off my plan. I was always being tempted and tortured.

I'm on my off week and yesterday I followed the BFL food plan and snuck off to the gym. How wacky is that???????????? I did a modified UBWO and then realized I was CHEATING on my FREE WEEK. How bizarre. I left the gym because I do believe that my body needs the rest. But I was there and working out before I even thought that I didn't HAVE TO BE!!!!

That's the way you cheat on BFL: you sneak off to the gym on your Free Week or workout on your free day (I've done that too).

:lol:

Get the word out: BFL WORKS!!!!

Susan

MrsJim
06-20-2001, 12:53 PM
Once again, you have managed to put into words so eloquently the 'real deal' on BFL.

Many of us have tried dozens of different diet plans - if I had invested the $$ I spent through the years on plans such as Diet Center, Jenny Craig, Hypnosis, Weight Watchers, fat camp, etc. etc. not to mention a library full of 'quick-weight-loss' books, I would probably have enough saved to put a down payment on a house - even here in the Bay Area!

And YES! I have indeed seen Pam B's photos and read her profile, as well as many others. The testimonials on the www.bodyforlife.com site may seem a bit unrealistic (since they are the EAS/Body for Life Challenge contest winners) but the ones on L&S I personally find MUCH more motivating for some reason! I was proud and happy to post my progress photos there and looking forward to posting my 12 week pix in July!

Like Susanje, I'm hoping that the gals on the other threads here at 3FC will be motivated enough by our words and the transformations on L&S to at least take a closer look at BFL - a lifestyle change which has made such a difference in not only my life, but MANY others' lives as well! Take care...

MsLiz1956
06-20-2001, 03:10 PM
Totally right about L&S site! I was a regular there for a long time. Not only is it a bit intimidating, but that board moves so dang fast it's more like a chat room! It's very hard to get to know people there. I got lonely, which is one reason I took over hosting the BFL board at iVillage.

I've found in general that women typically have to tweak things a bit to find the "right fit" for the unique needs of their own bodies. And most of us here are refugees of too many failed diets to even count them all. I've never been much of a "dieter" over a lifetime - just always unhealthy about what I ate. Then I found myself a midlife couch potato whose bodyfat had skyrocketed out of control! :o

I did lots of research before picking BFL - it made more sense to me than anything I'd ever read! I still feel that way! Although I've started more diets in the last couple years than I want to admit to- and I'm still trying to get it right - BFL has definitely moved me from the couch to the gym!

The comments about BFL being "too restrictive" are hilarious - actually, the most common complaint I hear from newbies is that the "diet" isn't specific enough!!! :lol:

And when I get to feeling unmotivated, my favorite thing to do is visit Bodychangers.com (http://www.bodychangers.com) - they're all real people who've had more normal results than the spectacular BFLer we so often see.

Have a great day!

Labmom
06-20-2001, 09:25 PM
Hey, team! I ate all six meals yesterday (granted one was a half of a myoplex lite bar, but hey....it's progress!) I agree with all of you about the weirdness of people thinking BFL is strict. And I too, am continually amazed by not having cravings.

I'm going to follow your lead, Mrs. Jim, and not weigh in this week. Can't quite use the pants-o-meter yet, but I can feel the difference in other ways.

Going to order some supplements tonight - see how that BetaGen helps!

Cris

susanje
06-20-2001, 11:57 PM
Hello ladies,

I took my first real Free Day of Free Week today. I didn't workout and I ate dumb crap for dinner. (I had oatmeal for breakfast and a Myoplex for lunch...BUT I did have an ice cream sandwich in the middle of the day and I had a burger and fries for dinner).

I posted my 12 week photos on Lean and Strong. I will update my web page when I get back from my spa weekend in Palm Springs. I also put a picture of me and my motorcycle in Playspace on Lean and strong. I'll add that to my webpage when I get back too.

Hold down the fort...off to SoCal to play in the mineral springs and be pampered all weekend!!!

Susan

MrsJim
06-21-2001, 12:43 AM
WOW! What a difference! I'm still blown away by the transformations I've witnessed since starting BFL...not only mine but yours and the dozens of others I've seen.

Jim really liked your Harley too! (I'm too much of a scaredy-cat to ride one - I'll settle for bikes and horses). Speaking of horses, I had another lesson last night - did much better. My inner thighs still burn afterwards but my recovery time is much faster. I have yet another lesson tomorrow night - plus working at the ranch this weekend. I highly guarantee taking riding lessons to anyone looking for an extracurricular activity!

Penguin123
06-21-2001, 06:52 AM
Hi, i know i'm very new here but i would really like to join this little 'group', you all seem so motivated and supportive and i really need motivating!!! I'm 18 and alhtough i'm not really overweight or anything (u lot dont seem to be either, just eager to improve the condition of your bodies) I am 5'6-7 and about 150lbs and i'd like to lose about 15lbs-20lbs. Is that too little or too much??? What sort of things do i need to be eating and what sort of exercise??? Can i come here and report my acheivements and downfalls or whatever??? I would be so grateful for your support...

Penguin123. :dizzy:

ShelleyM
06-21-2001, 07:27 AM
Susanje- Your pictures are amazing!

New question (it may have been answered before): Did you actually do the free day on the 1st week of your challenge?? I'm afraid to!! I have been on the scale (I know, I know) and even though it has only been 3 days I have expected it to budge more than increments! I'm afraid if I do my free day, my weight will go up more than when I started.

I am loving this program.

ShelleyM
06-21-2001, 07:46 AM
I forgot to ask a question: What happens when you reach your goal? What is the maintenance, as far as exercising goes?? I have the book, I just haven't read that part yet, and would rather find out from all of you experienced BFL'ers!

susanje
06-21-2001, 09:42 AM
Leaving for Palm Springs in an hour or so...

Hi Penguin,
WELCOME TO THE GROUP!!

We are following BFL which is a bit difficult to explain but the basenote does attempt to do that. If you get the book Body for Life by Bill Phillips or go to the eas.com site or some of the others listed in the first post of this thread, you will probably be able to gain some understanding. I took a few weeks to study it before I began it in earnest. However, if you have questions this is where to ask!!! It is somewhat confusing in the beginning!

You can use BFL to lose weight, tone up, change the shape of your body...anything! So whatever your wish, BFL will help!!!

Shelley,

Yes, I have always taken my free day. It's an important part of the program. As the weeks go by you will see that it is indispensible. If you read back over the other BFL threads, you will see that both MrsJim and I gush over the brilliance of Free Day. It is integral to the success of the program.

You will probably be bloated on Monday. To help this, drink lots of water on Free Day (in the beginning I didn't drink any water on Free Day, just diet Cokes). I also switched my cardio to MWF so I would wake up on Monday and sweat the free day away.

I am not sure what maintenance is but i think that by the time you get to it, you'll have something figured out. :) I'm hoping to go the Pam B. route and follow a body builders routine (though unlike Pam I'm not going to do shows or anything). I'm going to be 45 this year and I want to do my late 40s as a hardbody!

:lol:

Susan

susanje
06-21-2001, 09:45 AM
PS Shelley,

STAY OFF THE SCALE!!!!

:)

MrsJim
06-21-2001, 10:50 AM
...especially the one about staying off the scale - if you must do so, weigh (and measure) yourself at baseline, and the end of 4th, 8th, & 12th weeks. When I first began my challenge (I'm on my 9th week now) I didn't whip out the ol' tape measure and take my measurements - wish I had now. I'm planning on doing that at the beginning of my next Challenge.

I'd also recommend getting some fat calipers - they're pretty cheap (in fact, www.netrition.com offers them free if you place a large order with them - which is how I got them. Their prices are pretty good too!). The measurement is pretty easy to do yourself once you get the hang of it, and Netrition has a page which gives directions and shows you how to interpret your caliper readings.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS take your Free Day! It is so intregal to the success of BFL.

I know how most of you BFL newbies (and those of you who are just wondering about it) feel about the concept of Free Day - the way I felt at first. It's like jumping off a high cliff into a void after years and YEARS of overly restrictive diets. But think - every diet you've ever been on - hasn't there been a point where you thought "I can't take it anymore" or "This is so unfair - everyone else is eating [name of desired foods]" and just went on a total binge? Sometimes lasting a few minutes, maybe days/months, whatever?? Sneaking food when you hope noone is looking or paying attention? Eating over the sink or in front of the open refrigerator at night - cold leftovers, just shoving them in your mouth without really tasting them???? How healthy is that (mentally & physically) for you? Free Day combats all that. I absolutely do not feel the compulsion to do any of those things during the week - and on Free Day I can eat what I want, OPENLY, without feeling any shame or remorse! Yee haw!

Bill Phillips' theory that having a free day keeps your body from going into starvation mode (and thus holding on to every last fat cell it can) makes perfect sense. Not to mention the psychological effects - many times (especially in the first few weeks) I was able to keep myself from eating something 'unauthorized' by saying "only a few more days until Sunday - I can have it then". Better than all that built-up resentment that can happen on 'diets' where you are ALWAYS restricted. In fact, Sunday is 'fun day' for Jim and I. We have LOTS more fun going out to eat together, because I don't stare at his food wishing I could have ordered garlic bread, or enchiladas or whatever (we tend to do Mexican food a lot). The day after my first Free Day I was totally bloated for about two days - but did not feel the slightest urge to eat anything unauthorized until around Friday - two days before the next Free Day. Make sure you drink lots of water on Free Day as well. Like I said before, I also try to do my week's shopping that day - I'm nice and full, and don't feel the urge to put anything unauthorized in my cart! Also during the week, the Myoplex takes care of any urge I have for sweets.

As far as maintenance - I plan to continue to BFL program. I truly LOVE to work out - and don't mind getting up at 4:00 a.m. to do it (I've been doing that for years now). Maybe it's the endorphins or something, but the days I don't work out I feel blaahhh. I may not do as many MRP shakes but I actually enjoy them! BFL is truly something you can do for LIFE!

Well, time to get ready for work. See ya gals!

ShelleyM
06-22-2001, 07:40 AM
Wow!! I did my UBWO this morning, and my arms are totally shakey. I think I went up too much on my weights. It also took me 55 minutes today. Is there such a thing as going too slow? I chanted for most of the exercises.

Susanje- Have a great trip. We'll miss you.

MsLiz1956
06-22-2001, 09:28 AM
Shelley ~ There's probably no such thing as too slow!! And if your arms are shaky, it doesn't mean you lifted too much - it means you're right where you need to be! I always know if I have trouble climbing the stairs between the gym and my office that I've done a good workout! I distinctly remember my first UBWO with my physical trainer - I couldn't reach around to hook my bra the next day!!! :lol:

Hey gang... I hesitate to tell you this, because I haven't read the reports yet myself, but I'm a couple miles from both the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospital (Case Western Reserve University), and I know several people in the medical community. Many of the docs get pre-release copies of research that has been conducted in the US, before it's published in the medical journals. I was told yesterday that the next round of journals will release the findings of blind studies that show a definitive link between aspartame (Nutrasweet) and both MS and Lupus. Just wanted to give you all a heads-up. :(

Penguin123
06-22-2001, 09:35 AM
IN SWEETNER?! is nothing safe anymore??? Oh god, i've been using that for 5 years...would i know by now if something was wrong or does it take a while for the effects to happen??? Oh dear, panic..........brrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaatttt ttttttttttttthhhhhhhhhhhheeeeee.........ok, i'm alright now, that just shocked me...:^:

blastit
06-22-2001, 10:15 AM
Good Morning!!!

I had a great LBWO this morning. Afterwards I was headed upstairs to hit the showers and it was all I could do to make it upstairs. I feel great this morning.

I was really busy at work yesterday and forgot to eat my 2:30 meal. I remembered that I didn't eat at 4:30, but I was on my to pick up my daughter and meet hubby for dinner. I had my dinner and another small meal later in the evening, but I was still one short yesterday. I couldn't believe I forgot. I have been really good about getting all six in.

Nutrasweet - linked to MS and Lupis - I think I had heard that just recently as a possibility. Has anyone tried Spenda? A friend uses that instead of Nutrasweet and she really likes it. I was going to get some put on my oatmeal, but I forgot when I went to the grocery store.

Susanje - I hope the spa was everything you hoped it to be.

Susan-blastit

Nettie1971
06-22-2001, 10:53 AM
Hi all!

I was lurking on your thread and thought some of the links below may be helpful re: aspartame. The internet is a wonderful, yet sometimes deceiving place. Take everything you read with a grain of salt. No matter where it comes from. Even the FDA site. Remember, they approved Fen Phen. :dizzy:

http://www.softdrink.ca/aspartme.htm

http://www.mayohealth.org/home?id=HQ00801#Aspartame-causes-MS,-lupus-and-tumors

http://www.mssociety.ca/en/research/PC990122.htm

As I have not seen the most recent study, it is hard to say how the findings are related to humans intaking normal doses of this substitute. Sacarine was also suppose to cause bladder cancer, because of a 1977 Canadian study on rats that were given several times the human dose. Even though rats don't have the same urinary system we do. http://www3.oup.co.uk/cs/journals/journal_90/art_p2/900002.htm

Just some information. Hope you all don't mind me jumping in here.:wave:
231/200/170

MrsJim
06-22-2001, 11:25 AM
I have to get to work pretty soon but had to answer...

As I've stated before, my entire family - Dad, Mom, my three sisters and I - have been ingesting aspartame/NutraSweet for at least 24 years (since the mid 70's).

None of us, nor any of my sisters' children (a total of seven ranging in age from 5 years to 17 years old) have experienced ANY side effects from using aspartame.

My father was a chemist from 1960 - 1992. Prior to that he was a premed student at UNC and a medical intern for the US Army. As he was in charge of formulating diet soft drinks for a beverage company, he studied aspartame very closely for ten or more years before it was okayed by the FDA and first put in soft drinks in 1982.

Since he is retired and does not use the Internet, he had no idea of this big rumor controversy swirling about. When I told him he was incredulous. His words: "Do you think I would have given you girls anything to eat or drink that wasn't perfectly safe??"

http://www.quackwatch.com/04ConsumerEducation/QA/aspartame.html

Bottom line - I'm not going to stop using asparatame. I like it, and it's never harmed me - after 24 or more years of using it in various forms, if there was something amiss, it would have cropped up by now...

PS - Just as an aside, the FDA never approved Fen-Phen - the Fen-Phen cocktail was an 'off-label use'. See http://www.fda.gov/cder/news/phen/fenphenqa2.htm for more info...Just FYI...

MsLiz1956
06-22-2001, 02:01 PM
:o Geez, I didn't mean to "start something," I just wanted you to be aware of the upcoming research articles. I'm not a doctor or an anti-sweetener person...just interested.

MrsJim
06-22-2001, 02:14 PM
Nah, don't worry about it. That whole myth about 'aspartame disease' that's been going around for years is just one of my hot buttons...

Anyway, back to BFL!

Tomorrow's the end of my 9th week. After my UBWO today, I went to Spinning (yeah, I know cardio and weights aren't to be mixed on the same day but I just LOVE that class!) as I do every Friday. The instructor, Curt, came up to me and went "WHOA DUDE! Your arms are lookin' HOT!!" He wanted to know what I've been doing and I told him BFL. I have total respect for Curt since he is not only a fab instructor but also a hardcore competitive cyclist (he also went from around 300 pounds to a lean, mean cyclin' machine some years back) so it was great to hear his praise. Of course he made me flex my bicep for him! "Girl, you're looking GREAT!" Warm fuzzies... :p

I'm really looking forward to this coming weekend - have a riding lesson and will be cleaning stalls too! Should be fun (believe it or not). I think my riding is getting better, at least I'm not nearly as sore as I was in the beginning. See ya guys!

blastit
06-22-2001, 05:38 PM
I hope everyone has a great weekend. We are headed out of town to a real city - Indianapolis, IN Should be fun. I got get my cardio in first thing in the morning - then I can shop.

Susan

Penguin123
06-22-2001, 06:11 PM
Sorry Miz Liz, i over reacted, its coz i'm diabetic so u can imagine i use sweetner in and on everything...cooking...cereal...tea...etc and i panicked, sorry, thanks for mentioning it though...:^:

2BFIT1
06-22-2001, 11:27 PM
Hi everybody! I just got my new hard drive set up and i'm back on-line~YEAH.
I had alot of catching up to do. Welcome to all the newcomers~Cris, Shelly and Penguin!
Oh my God, Susan and MrsJim~I saw your new pics on L&S. You guys are doing FANTANSTIC!!!!!!!! Thanks for posting them because it is living proof that BFL works on the average person. (not that either of you are average:lol: ) I'm sooo proud of you.

I just started week 6 and I'm having the best time at the gym. I started out doing the program at home using dumbbells and a cardio bike. Just joined the YMCA last week and I'm addicted!!!
The first day on the EFX kicked by butt but I'm loving it. I have been doing cardio on my free day. I know that I shouldn't but like I said~I'm addicted.
As far as weighing on the scale~ I agree with MrsJim. It's what you see in the mirror and how the clothes fit that counts. This is coming from a person who weighs herself everyday. I have been 'stuck' at the 123 for the past few weeks but I see a change in how I look. I think that as we develop muscle, scale weight doesn't count as much as it used to. Although I'm sure that I will get on the scale occassionally, I will not worry about what it says because I know that I'm eating and exercising right.
I will still have to get my WO's at home on the weekends,as my hours don't fit into the Y's hours. I hope that I can make the adjustments without much problem.

Everybody have a great weekend~MrsJim, have fun on the horses!
~~~Sil

ShelleyM
06-23-2001, 09:07 AM
Mrs. Jim- My husband's sister lives on 60 acres in Tennessee, and they have 2 horses, 8 cows, yada, yada, yada. Anyway, the horses are a Tennessee Walker and a Quarter Horse. When we went up there last summer, the horses had never had saddles on them before. My brother-in-law put saddles on them a couple of days before we went up. Needless to say, the horses were a bit nervous when my girls rode them. My girls also enjoyed cleaning stalls, etc. It IS a lot of exercise!!

Just finished my cardio. I did a 20 min. jog with faster jogging each couple of minutes. After the 20 minutes were over, I did a slow jog back home for a total of 35 minutes. My arms are very sore from yesterday, but it feels great!!

Susanje--We need you back to start a new thread!!! This is taking sooo long to load!

AuntBetty
07-02-2001, 01:08 PM
Mrs. Jim: I have a friend who has become a BFL devotee since the beginning of this year and he's looking and feeling great. I've enjoyed reading the BFL posts here about how well everyone is doing. That's fantastic and I find the posts here inspirational. However, I am a Covert Bailey devotee and felt I must jump in to defend him. I've noticed in a few different forums that there is a misconception that Covert Bailey does not advocate walking or gentle, moderate exercise as a way to get lose fat and get fit. That just isn't true. What Covert says is that walking and gentle, moderate exercise is great for the beginner exerciser or for the unfit. It is a great way to start an exercise regime and to get the fat-burning engine inside all of us (our metabolism) revved up. However, to continue to get fit and lose fat our bodies eventually will need some form of cross-training such as what all of you have mentioned: weight training, kickboxing, an aerobics class, etc. For the walker to continue to get fit they will need to step it up and even add some "wind sprints" e.g., short jogs throughout their walk. Covert's regime and the BFL regime are not all that different. Covert also advocates "eating to lose" by eating small amounts throughout the day to keep the metabolism working as it should but, of course, just like BFL, he advocates eating the right foods and not junk. Anyone wanting to learn more about Covert Bailey and his approach to health and fitness can log onto his page on www.healthcentral.com under the "Nutrition and Fitness" link.

By the way, I still own and use the Health Rider I purchased six years ago…and love it! It gives every muscle in my body a workout. Believe me, at the end of my 50-minute workout I am definitely sweating, and then some! :p