The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 09-28-2005, 12:22 AM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default The Biggest Loser Episode 3 - 27 Sept 2005

OMG!

And WHAT an episode this week! You know, that was a great challenge tonight - having to rely on takeout/restaurant food all week. I know that's a common question here at 3FC forumwide - we all have super busy lives and a lot of us don't have time to cook or prefer not to for whatever reason and how to eat out and still lose weight...? I think the response (and this is from my own personal experience as well) is to plan ahead - know before you open that menu what you're going to get.

During the explanation of the challenge I was reminded of an article in O Magazine a few months back titled "The Trouble with Takeout" with healthy suggestions for "to go" orders - a condensed version of the article can be found here at Oprah's website.

I couldn't beLIEVE the choice of the Cheesecake Factory! We've only been to the one in Coral Gables, FLA, but I do remember the portions..."huge" is an understatement! But they did pretty well. Was that hilarious or what when Jillian grabbed the dessert from Matt and had the guys pour a whole shaker of salt over it?

(since I'm in California I'm pretty sure I'm the last one to have seen the episode so what the heck...spoilers...)

I'm glad Suzy is staying another week - and I gotta say I was glad that Nick was eliminated. You gotta wonder why he even signed up in the first place - maybe since he's a comedian by trade (at least according to his bio) he figured he'd get a little publicity or perhaps he thought that all the work would be done for him - dunno but he just never really seemed to TRY ALL THAT HARD. And last week when he cooked up that huge 'victory dinner' I knew he truly didn't give a crap.

After this show, I really feel he applied to be on the show primarily for the publicity he hoped to get as a result. From what I've gleaned surfing around the 'Net, since last season SO many people had wanted desperately to get on the show - and (again) from what I've read - many many many people - in my very informal survey the MAJORITY of people - aren't in it for the cash prize NEARLY as much as for the opportunity to make a life change with the motivation, experienced trainers, etc - in a lot of ways this takes me back to the weight-loss camp I attended for 8 weeks when I was 16 Good times! Anyway, if I was one of the people who got as far as being one of the final guys picked but 'just missed by that much' for whatever reason - I'm sure a lot of them tonight are TO'd because Nick just WASTED this opportunity to totally transform his entire life when the chance to change could have been given to someone who wanted it more, you know? Anyway, that's just IMO of course, for what it's worth. Just frittered it away. Sheesh.

But still, I was shocked to say the least at his before and afters. Is it just ME or has he put back on every pound he lost? Maybe it was the lack of a beard and his pasty white skin (he had a tan at the ranch which he seemed to lose pretty quickly - but he LIVES in Glendale which is less than 50 miles away - obviously he wasn't spending time outdoors exercising It's the first time in the two seasons where someone has actually gone back to their old lifestyle - from the look of it anyway.

Well next week should be interesting as according to the coming attractions they'll be in Vegas, home of the all you can eat mega buffet!
Old 09-28-2005, 01:01 AM   #2  

I really am torn... since Gilmore girls new episodes play at the same time as BL.. today i tried to watch both but i know i missed alot..... for the that shot drinking challenge i was surprised i would be so wanting to take the shots but like everyone else i would not have done it.. for one 40 cals for one adds up when you drink like 50 of them... For Two i think that if i was forced to eat out it would train my brain to eat healther at Fast food restaurants. a very good lesson that needs to be learned
Old 09-28-2005, 01:06 AM   #3  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Man, what a good episode. I don't know why, but I just don't feel the same about Suzy after that. I am soooooo glad that Nick got voted out. The fact that he wouldn't weigh in for the after was lame. He was just mad that he got voted off, he was a poor sport anyway. No one talks to Jilian like that!!! If he does write a book and make a video I will not be buying it that's for sure. Woooooo, sorry I get too involved!
Old 09-28-2005, 05:28 AM   #4  
Disney here I come!!!

Hi everyone! I just have to comment on last nights show. I am really glad that Nick was voted off. Did anyone notice he was JUST as cocky about his supposed weight loss since off the show? I dont know call me crazy but I feel like he did not lose any more weight? Also, (I am really bad with names) the woman that did not lose any weight this week was she also the one that was not running on the train? Maybe she did not lose weight but lost inches however. And one more thing while Im going on and on..does any one notice that the mens team seem to be alot more bonded and closer than the womens team??? I never watched this last year but I am glad I have this year. It truly gives me inspiration to know that people are willing to put their lives out there for all to see and to know that they are normal with normal urges and obstacles just like the rest of us
Old 09-28-2005, 08:02 AM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motivated.one
Hi everyone! I just have to comment on last nights show. I am really glad that Nick was voted off. Did anyone notice he was JUST as cocky about his supposed weight loss since off the show? I dont know call me crazy but I feel like he did not lose any more weight? Also, (I am really bad with names) the woman that did not lose any weight this week was she also the one that was not running on the train? Maybe she did not lose weight but lost inches however. And one more thing while Im going on and on..does any one notice that the mens team seem to be alot more bonded and closer than the womens team??? I never watched this last year but I am glad I have this year. It truly gives me inspiration to know that people are willing to put their lives out there for all to see and to know that they are normal with normal urges and obstacles just like the rest of us
I'm pretty certain that Nick has GAINED weight since the show. Amazing isn't it - he lost 41 lbs in 3 weeks but it didn't take long for him to gain it back (apparently, since he wouldn't give his current weight). It looked as though when they filmed his "after the ranch" bit, that was the first time he had been outside the house. I have mixed feelings - he was a total a$$ and it really comes down to the old Personal Responsibility - he WASTED his opportunity, totally wasted an opportunity that could have been given to one of the thousands of other applicants who truly wanted to be there and could have applied what they learned, even in just three weeks, to keep going - look at Ruben who was eliminated in episode 1, or last year's contestants Aaron and Dave (who was also a PITA but he did great on his own!)

I felt bad for Suzy - it appears as though she heard the shot glasses clinking in the other booths (since they couldn't see each other) as people moved them around and she just assumed that others were guzzling them down as well, ya know? She could have just drank ONE and won the personal chef - that would have killed me had I been in her shoes she's still my favorite of the women so far. I think she'll do well, even if she doesn't last through.

I also felt bad for Jen, since she didn't lose any weight - remember that one thing us women have to deal with that guys DON'T have is the monthly visit from Aunt Flo and that can really cause havoc on the scale! I bet that Jen has a good loss next week though.

I was just checking the recaps really quickly this morning and what Jillian said about willpower being over-rated is SO TRUE. I said this in a post in the Support Forum last week - rather than relying on WILLpower it's more essential to use BRAINpower by planning ahead and knowing what you will order BEFORE you open that menu, heck even when you're planning to go out in the first place (most chain restaurants these days have their menus posted online, making it easier to plan ahead - even though the Cheesecake Factory would be the absolute LAST place I'd pick because their portions are so freaking enormous...when we ate there, Jim ordered a chef's salad and it was like looking at Mt. Everest or something, he barely made a dent in the thing even though he had a good appetite when we got there!).

Just some thoughts before running to the gym - I think this season so far is much better than last year's!
Old 09-28-2005, 09:04 AM   #6  
Determined

I'm glad Nick is gone too. He was a pompous . I noticed as well how much more supportive the mens team is. Especially Dr. Jeff, what a sweetheart! I like most of the women's team too, but Suzy is my favorite (with Ryan) and what she did didn't change anything for me. She only drank the shakes because she assumed everyone else did. She still lost a good amount of weight and then when Ryan won it for them, I bet the girls who had attitude were kicking themselves a little. Her winning that challenge may very well have won it for the team, though I also get what Suzanne was saying about it going against everything they have learned. I'd still much rather see Jen and Suzanne go before any of the other girls though.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:14 AM   #7  
Losing on the Beach

S/C/G: 205/ticker/164

Height: 5'5

Hey ladies

Just throwing in my 2 cents
I was also glad that Nick was voted off...he wasnt a team player and like everyone else said...he wasnt ready for the lifestyle change it takes to keep the results he had achieved. I too like Suzy...she did do a boo boo..but in the end she still lost and that is what is important, also having that personal chef helped ALOT! I am on the Body for life program myself and having the cheatday has actually helped lose the weight ...go figure As far as Jen.....well we have ALL been there one time or another, worked really hard and stayed the same I am sure she will have a good loss in the weeks to come and that will help get her over this hurdle. I cant wait till next weeks show
Old 09-28-2005, 10:20 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I agree this was one of the best episodes ever. I felt sorry for Suzy in the challenge. You could see her debating on drinking them. I'm like her and the thought of having a personal chef for a week would've been tempting although I think I would rather have eat out for the week in that kind of controlled environment so I could learn more tips an tricks.

Loved the train challenge. I'm not sure what happened to Jen for that last ball but she never showed back up. I too saw how much more of a "team" the guys are and the women just seem to all be there individually. I didn't even notice groups of two really associating with each other much.

Nick--not sure what else can be said about him other than what's been said. He really threw away this opportunity to change his life and I know I would've been POed had I made it through the application process and not make it on the show because of him. He did look bigger in his after picture.

My favorites on the show so far are: Dr. Jeff and Pete for the men and Suzy and Suzanne (I know I'm in the minority but I'm willing to overlook the chocolate lick )
I like Ryan too and although I felt really bad for Jen I don't think she's going to be there much longer.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:36 AM   #9  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbygirl43
Loved the train challenge. I'm not sure what happened to Jen for that last ball but she never showed back up. I too saw how much more of a "team" the guys are and the women just seem to all be there individually. I didn't even notice groups of two really associating with each other much.
Jen ended up having an asthma attack - that I can certainly understand as it is pretty close quarters in those cars (which might cause hyperventilation - also this was filmed in SoCal in the summer and it might have been quite warm that day) and they all had to be very quick on their feet (or as much as they could muster anyway) to win. I have very mild asthma myself that tends to pop up during allergy-type seasons so I kind of know what she was going through; not being able to take a deep full breath can be really scary, esp if you don't know what's going on!

I agree with you - the two groups don't seem to socialize much but then again it IS a competition, also we are only seeing a tiny bit of what actually happens - a week (or maybe 10 days?) condensed in less than 60 minutes.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:55 AM   #10  
banned

Default who did it?

who confiscated the food?
Old 09-28-2005, 11:58 AM   #11  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaphilip3
who confiscated the food?
I'm assuming you mean at the beginning of the show when Suzy came down to find the fridge and cupboards empty...yes?

That was planned - don't know if you missed some of last night's show (NBC has a recap on their site):

Quote:
The next morning, the teams got a rude awakening. All of their food was gone! They either had to order in or dine out…the ultimate test of their healthy eating skills.

Old 09-28-2005, 11:59 AM   #12  

I thought it was Ryan who had the asthma attack?
Old 09-28-2005, 12:01 PM   #13  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djett626
I thought it was Ryan who had the asthma attack?
I think you're right! One of them did anyway

(goes to check)

Yup - good call - it WAS Ryan.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:02 PM   #14  
Empress/Queen

I also thought the eat-out challenge was a good one, also happy to see Nick gone.

I agree with something someone posted above about it being a shame for those who would waste this chance to really get the weight off (even if it's a little weird doing it in front of a zillion people in a schmaltzy reality show) and make the lifestyle changes necessary to keep it off (words to that effect) ... from the "how does Nick look now" segment, doesn't look like he did any substantial follow-up on his weight loss program and would agree that the publicity was what he sought.

I'd thought I didn't like anyone on this show except Dr. Jeff, but after last night, I decided I'm rooting for the men's team. The women continue to annoy me!
Old 09-28-2005, 12:07 PM   #15  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I was annoyed when (I think it was suzanne) was upset she hadn't lost ten pounds....all i can say is that 4 pounds in a week is already excessive in my book.