Support Groups - 21-Day Challenge!! -- countdown to victory!!

Pages : [1] 2

redballoon
09-21-2005, 06:06 AM
Okay, everyone, as is becoming the tradition, I start a new thread when I personally start a new challenge. Also, some people may have trouble downloading a long thread, so I like to start new ones.

Below is a short explanation of how this challenge works so all you newcomers can take a look and decide if you're game or not! I hope you are! Hop aboard and enjoy the ride. We've got a great bunch of supportive people, so I hope you'll give us a try. I see, looking back on the beginning of the old thread, that we had a lot of people who tried for a while and then disappeared. I hope some of you will give it another try. Remember, it's not over till you give up. And our motto around here is:

NEVER GIVE UP!!...Just start OVER!!

EXPLANATION:

It works like this: you decide you'll do something for 21 days straight, every single day, so keep it doable. Then you count ....one through 21.....and if you flub it, you MUST go back to zero and start over again. Everyone will be on different days. You can start anytime. You get ONE "pause day" for each perfect round of 21 days you complete. With a pause day you pause in your counting and continue the next day with the number you left off with. Pause days are NOT substitutes for days, i.e. Day 12 -- Day 13 -- Pause Day -- Day 14..... I suggest taking a pause day late in the game (better to go back to Day 1 early on) if you need a break or screw up when you're well into the challenge, meaning, when you're on Day 15 or something like that.

In any case, the trick is to keep going. The momentum builds and it's great incentive to stick to your guns, cause if you don't.........back to START you go. :( And the really great thing about this challenge is that you are forming new habits that will wipe out the old! AND, you get to do it with a great bunch of really supportive people to whom you are accountable! :grouphug: And, YES, we are watching YOU!! :yes:

Ready to join us!!?!?! :wave: You BET! :dancer:

redballoon
09-21-2005, 06:12 AM
Well, everyone, I started the new thread and I'll be starting my challenge soon. I plan on that being tomorrow (Thursday here). I haven't decided just what it will be but it will definitely be more of the no-sugar, no-white flour challenge along with other elements.

Okay, any of you who were waiting for me to start the new thread so you could start your new challenge, here it is!! No more excuses!! ;) I'll be joining you shortly. :wave:

diamond_girl
09-21-2005, 06:43 AM
But ugh, the food I ate :( BAD Angela, Bad!! I'm hoping to improve my food intake today.

Red - I hope you find a challenge that is to your liking

Hugs,

redballoon
09-21-2005, 07:36 AM
diamond girl -- Good for you!! You made it through Day 11! :cp: Heh, don't worry about the food. Just get back in line. This is what I'm telling myself. I have been on a pigout! :ink: Really, ridiculous! :eek: But heh, I'll get back up (out of the trough) and fix things up! At least my only eating disorder is overeating. I say this as I saw yet another anorexic woman on the street. I mean truly anorexic, not just skinny. I don't know what it is but I see more and more of them here in Tokyo. Japan is supposed to have the highest rate of anorexics and bulimics...wow....pretty sad. Well, diamond, good luck. Put another horsey picture up there for me, will you? Horses are my passion! :love:

friendsforfitness
09-21-2005, 07:58 AM
It's me Lisa. How have you been?? I am ok, I can only write a quick hello for right now due to the fact that I am on my way out the door to work. I want to sign up for the challenge though. I need to start back on my healthy lifestyle again. Long story short, I gained 25lbs back. My first step is to try to come back here every day. So that will be my 21 day challenge, to post on this thread no less than once a day. Wish me luck because I really need it.

Miss ya and big hugs!

Lisa
PS Is Marty still around? I saw Cherie over in the journals and want to say hi to her too. You can read my journal from the other day if you want to be totally bummed out. LOL!

redballoon
09-21-2005, 08:07 AM
Lisa -- :spin: :cb: Hello there! Great to see you! I'm so glad you're here. Oh, yes, please, please sign up for the challenge. Posting here every day is a good start! :lol: Well, I'm about to hit the hay so I won't read your depressing journal now. But I will tomorrow. :yes: Marty was here for a while, then disappeared. I think she made her challenge (no smoking) too hard! She's over on Jaded Ladies and Cherie is on Weighty Issues. She never did the challenge that I can remember. She's been through a real rough time.

Well, sorry to hear things are bad with you. And wow, big bummer with the weight gain! :cry: But, we can always start again. I gained about 10 lbs, took a little off and have just been stuck. Just not getting the exercise I used to. But, I am sick of the fat and really want it off..though I know it's going to be tough. I didn't decide on my next challenge but I think I'm going to do the thing I most hate...counting calories.....because maybe it's the only way to be sure the weight comes off.

Well, gotta go. We've got a great bunch of people here (hello to people :wave: !!) so I hope you can join us and make it even GREATER!! :sunny:

Ciao bella!!

Chaps
09-21-2005, 09:33 AM
Oooh, a whole new thread, how exciting. Day 18 is done for me, and I actually feel like this ab workout has become a habit. How cool!

Redballoon - If you take on another white flour/white sugar challenge, you will be my hero. That must be so tough! I'm thinking of giving up chocolate for my next challenge.

Good luck to everyone!

Apple Blossom
09-21-2005, 03:29 PM
Hey Chaps, you are my inspiration for adding sit-ups to my challange. :)
What, exactly, is your work out? Last night I did 3 sets of 15 sit-ups. I'm going to work up to 20.
Day 1 finished. Day 12 I think, with the beer. :hat:
Yesterday was a bad eating day, due mostly to stress eating. But it appears no damage done.

Shad
09-21-2005, 05:37 PM
Might have a go at this myself this time around, I think. :faint: :faint: :eek: :yikes:

Today is Thursday my-time. My challenge to myself will be to control those portions better - reduce the carbs - and to drink the water (something I am not good at, at all). I start tomorrow (Friday 23rd September) morning early - right before the gym.

Here goes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vanessa6295
09-21-2005, 08:20 PM
Hey Day 16 done here! Congrats on doing so well everyone!
32 Days on WW.

SW:175
CW:158
GW:135

SillyFluff
09-21-2005, 10:18 PM
Went for 30 minute walk with boyfriend and puppy. I don't know if I gave u guys any background on this puppy we have. My boyfriend's uncle gave her to us. I attached a picture. Anyways. She's a mixed breed. Not quite sure exactly all she has in here, but she is a nut. She's so funny and SOOO hyper. When we took her to the beach she didn't want to walk on the leash correctly. She wanted to hold onto the leash with her mouth and walk alongside of us.
ANyhoo, when I took her for a walk by myself the other day, she didnt do that. BUT when my boyfriend held the leash today she did it again...she's *special* LOL

Oh yea and I did 6mi bike (25 min @ 14mph)

carla49
09-21-2005, 10:34 PM
Very cute puppy, Fluff! She must have some retriever in her - they like to have balls or leashes in their mouths.

Mez, have you started your new challenge? Congrats on completing the last one!!!

Red, thanks for starting a new thread, but it wasn't quite enough to get me back on goal. I start back to work again on Tuesday, and until then I think I'll just relax and eat whatever I want. Of course I'll regret it later, but c'est la vie. Whenever you talk about your waistline, it makes me remember those wonderful days when I just had a big waist instead of an "apron". The worst thing is I'm almost used to it now. But I talked to a friend today who has just bought a house with a pool. She's very slim, and even thin I wouldn't have her hot bod, but the pool is incentive to become less potato-shaped. Anyhoo, right now I feel the need for a little more time with no restrictions, and then I'll be back with a vengeance. Even with the slight gain of the last week (not showing on my ticker until next Monday), I've still lost 15 pounds. Which is about 25% of my total goal. So it's time to rest, and then back to work. Sad to say, the weight-loss caused by my change in meds is now over, so from now on I have to actually work at it. Bummer!!!

SillyFluff
09-21-2005, 11:02 PM
she's our baby, what can i say :)

She gets her cuteness from her "momma" LOL

carla49
09-21-2005, 11:13 PM
So how do you attach photos anyway? I'm dying to show off my kitties...

gray eyed girl
09-22-2005, 12:52 AM
I didn't get to 3FC yesterday at all (I've got what seems to be the flu) so I am back at day 1 today. I could call that a free day but it was only day 4, so I think I'd actually rather start over.

So I'm done with day 1 today. This challenge is surprisingly hard for me!

fancyfrog
09-22-2005, 12:52 AM
WOOHOO!! I made it 21 days with no soda!! I still can't believe it! I didn't even have any trouble with it. But can you believe I really want one now that the 21 days are over??? I feel like getting up tomorrow morning and going to town(15 min away) just to get a soda? Maybe I should just start my new challenge of no soda tomorrow? Naaahhh! I'll have one first!
Day 16 down on the water and exercise, although I slacked off and only did a little over 1 mile on the treadmill. :( I will make up for it tomorrow.

Kathy

redballoon
09-22-2005, 05:51 AM
carla -- For photos first make sure you have your photos' names ending with any of the following:

bmp gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt

Of course, they should be in that format but often they are and you've changed the name or just don't have that on the end. Put a period before the attachment ending and the name of the photo.

Then...

Go into the advanced mode and scroll down past the message window. See the "manage attachments" window and click on that.

Hit "browse" and find your photo on your computer. Click on it and then click upload and it should be attached to your current message. Click on "close window" and go back to the message writing place. Write a message and submit it. You should see the picture after you submit the message. The preview thing won't show it.

See how that works!!

Check out this photo I took with my cell phone of my horse! :love:

redballoon
09-22-2005, 05:54 AM
Oh, shucks! while I'm at it, here's another one!!! :yes: Heidi, fans blowing her flaxen florelock back, is looking down the barn aisle, eagerly awaiting the arrival of the hay wagon!! :spin:

redballoon
09-22-2005, 06:19 AM
BRAVO FANCYFROG!! You RULE!!! Twenty-one days without soda!!! And now, we've got the 21-crazy-banana dance for you!!!

:cb: :crazy: :cb: :crazy: :cb: :crazy: :cb: :crazy: :cb: :crazy: :cb: :crazy: :cb: :crazy: :cb: :crazy: :cb: :crazy: :cb: :crazy: :cb: :crazy: :cb: :crazy: :cb: :crazy: :cb: :crazy: :cb: :crazy: :cb: :crazy: :cb: :crazy: :cb: :crazy: :cb: :crazy: :cb: :crazy: :cb: :crazy:

YOU ARE THE GREATEST!!!!

:encore: :encore: :encore: :encore: :encore: :encore: :encore:

:cp: :cp: :cp: :angel: :angel: :angel: :cp: :cp: :cp:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

:cp: :cp: :cp: :angel: :angel: :angel: :cp: :cp: :cp:

redballoon
09-22-2005, 07:59 AM
Ok, everyone. I'm just posting and posting here! Well, I'm up and doing a challenge, but I'm not sure exactly what it will be. Things are going to be very busy over the next 10 days and the exercise element I was hoping to do may not be possible. Well, it's possible but I may not want to do it. I AM going to do the food element, which is again, no sugar, no white flour AND I will probably cut out a lot of other of my favorites, including....!!!!.....alcohol!! I figure, with three free days, those should be enough for any postrace, friends in from Hong Kong kind of drinking. That will also mean, however, that the drinking nights will probably mean I won't be able to have any pause days with all the other foods without going back to Day 1!! So, it's a toughie, but the socializing with endless pints is just going to have to get reined in!! I will see on the exercise. I can't be sacrificing doing work for exercising and the exercise I had in mind involves really getting my heartrate up, so walking or jogging in place in my room is NOT enough. We'll see....if I could just get that exercise up....

So, this was my Day 1, but I'm not sure what will stay and what will go. I got the no-sugar, no-white flour and other things part in and I got the heartrate over 70 percent max for a minimum of 15 mins. part in. Those are the two I am thinking of doing but the exercise part I may drop out soon, depending on how busy I am.

Okay, over to you all!

fancy -- That is soooo great with your soda challenge. That certainly couldn't have been easy?! :eek: And yes, I can very well understand your wanting a soda! This is the way I am when I finish a no-sugar challenge. It's like....wide-eyed kid with the trick-or-treat bag open! The bag is my mouth! No, really, going without is a great thing, really. It makes you really look forward to things. The trick is not to overdo it or to just start a new challenge before things snowball. Self-imposed restrictions work well with me. I don't know why. Must have been the super-strict childhood. I am reverting back to it! Yikes!

Well, keep that exercise challenge going. Slacking off is ok, just as long as you don't actually fall OFF the treadmill! :rofl:

carla -- love the "potato-shaped!!" :lol: I had just been watching a potato show on TV. Yes, they have such things....and so you saying you were potato-shaped actually sounded very nice! I hear you on the just wanting some more time without restrictions. I am the same, especially after a challenge. I guess I make them pretty restrictive and you did too. Giving up wine and chocolate would be super hard, and you said it was actually more like alcohol and most sweets, so it would have excluded a lot of things. Just don't go overboard...she, who has just oinked her way through the last three days...says from her podium....

Silly -- Very cute pup! Thanks for the picture! I agree with carla, your dog probably has some retriever or something in her. I actually see that a lot here. Japanese are big on retrievers, poor things, with the total lack of space here. You can probably give her soemthing else to hold on to and then she won't need the leash in her mouth.

Good going on Day 6 down! Keep it going! :cp:

RoniR -- Hello! :wave: As I said in the PM, just hop in and start talking to us. Everything here is very informal. Why are you having trouble getting back into the forum? Is it computer troubles or do you mean mentally? Well, I hope to see more of you!! :yes:

vanessa -- You're ripping right along!! :woo:

Shad -- !! Hello there! Glad to see you trying us out! Welcome! :wave: Looks like we got two from Oz now! :cb: Good luck! :goodluck:

Apple -- Excellent work on the no-beer! :bravo: Work those abs!! You are going to be like iron!! :strong:

Chaps -- A big hand to you too! :cp: :cp: You're almost through! Wow! All day I thought of me being your hero! :love: So, I guess I just had to commit to another no-sugar, no-white flour challenge! :spin: Thanks for being so sweet!! :sunny:

redballoon
09-22-2005, 08:01 AM
gray -- Whoops! I missed you there! Ooh, sorry to hear you're feeling sick. Hope you get better real soon! :grouphug: Ok, so you're starting over...hang in there! One day at a time! :yes:

Chaps
09-22-2005, 08:02 AM
Woo hoo, Day 19 finished!

FancyFrog - Congratulations on 21 days! Excellent work!

AppleBlossom - Yes, I can tell you what my ab workout is. I posted it on another thread a week or so ago, so I'll cut and paste. Let me add that after I posted this, someone posted that since abs are muscles, you should not work them every day. Well, my point was that since this workout is low-key, I have been able to do it every day. I don't finish and then hurt for the next few days. It is a workout that doesn't leave me aching, and yet I have absolutely seen results. So, here is what I posted before.

I suppose I should start with the disclaimer that I am not a medical professional or a trained anything of any kind, so anyone who takes my ideas does so at their own risk. HA, is that enough to keep me from getting sued?

So, what I do is so basic it is to laugh. The key is to make yourself do it every single day. That has been the key for me, anyway.

1 - Lying on my back, knees bent, I do a crunch with a twist to the left. I don't sit all the way up, I just bring my upper back off the ground, while reaching to the left with both arms. I do this on an exhale, and hold it until I've exhaled completely. Then slowly roll back down. I make sure to keep my right hip on the ground, not letting it come up at all. I started doing this 15 times, but now I am doing 20.

2 - Same thing, but to the right.

3 - Basic forward crunch. Not a full sit-up, arms stretched straight forward, on the exhale, holding until I've exhaled completely.

4 - Lower abs. Lying down, I stretch my legs out all the way, put my hands under the small of my back for support, and lift both legs. Not very high, the lower you can control this, the better the workout. This is a toughie, I started with 5, and now I do 10. Always on the exhale.

5 - Lying on my stomach, legs stretched out, arms bent, resting above my head, forehead resting on the ground. Slowly, on an exhale, I arch my back so that my upper body to about mid-torso comes off the ground, and my legs come off the ground, up to about mid-thigh. Hold until all exhaled, then release, slowly and with control.

6 - Lying on my stomach, forehead resting on my hands, I do single leg lifts. Engaging the butt muscle, I lift each leg, not too high, hold it, and release slowly. I do this 20 times for each leg.

And that's it. And because I can see the results, I am convinced it is enough. It takes about 15-20 minutes, and I do it after jogging. I hope the descriptions are clear. Describing exercise in words is sort of tough. The main thing was listening to what my body needed and letting that guide me.

Hope it helps!

redballoon
09-22-2005, 08:05 AM
Chaps -- Abs is a huge muscle group. You can do them every day! All the builders do! Don't worry!

gray eyed girl
09-22-2005, 08:13 AM
I just weighed myself and I'm at 199! Finally! ONEDERLAND at last!!!

redballoon
09-22-2005, 08:17 AM
gray -- Hurrah!! Hurrah!! :woo: Onederland at last!!!

friendsforfitness
09-22-2005, 10:27 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm on day two of actually checking in, reading, and utilizing this site again. Sounds like everyone is doing great, keep it up!

Lisa

curlylocks
09-22-2005, 10:35 AM
hi guys... umm dont remember what day i am on, have to go back and hunt thru the posts... i am staying on track, we had a big storm and the phones are out where i live ... umm im posting from work right now...

BUT yesterday i went and worked out for an hour... then met a friend and went rowing for 3 hrs...took a nap...

went back and worked out for another hour ...

then took the dog for a walk of 2 miles !!!!!

and ta da i am finally unstuck and the scale went down 4 lbs!!! wooo hooo!

carla49
09-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Okay, it's time to put an end to the party. So today is Day one. I'm not sure exactly what the challenge is, so I'll do the no alcohol, no chocolate, no pastries thing. Maybe even a little exercise... By tomorrow I'll know which bits I'll keep.

Fancy, congrats on your challenge! It always impresses me when people actually finish one. I toy with the idea of quitting pop (soda/soft drinks), but I just don't think I could do it. The sugar/white flour would actually be easier for a bubbles addict like me.

I don't know if it worked, but I'm trying to attach a photo of my spoiled babies.

carla49
09-22-2005, 11:00 AM
I'm trying to follow Red's photo instructions, but... So this may be another illustration-free post.

carla49
09-22-2005, 11:04 AM
All my pics are deemed too big. So no kitties today.

Apple Blossom
09-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Just a quickie.... Day 2 done, day 13 on the beer :hat: Hey Red...the first 4 days or so were really hard but now it's no big deal. Of course, I have no social life or other such temptations. I just have to keep it out of the refrigerator. But if you go out and just have juice or bubbly water and you get through ONE night, I think from then on you will have an easier time. Just get "over the hump"!!! ;)
Thanks for the ab work out chaps. I think I'll just do the sit ups for a week or so and then add a few more exercises as I go along.
BYE!

curlylocks
09-22-2005, 02:12 PM
u have PSP software?? just resize the photos smaller... if u dont know how, u can email them to me and i will resize them for u when i get home from work

my_tabbies@yahoo.com

FishWoman
09-22-2005, 03:27 PM
Okay - my first 21-day challenge is going to be a small one, but its all about baby steps.

I completed day one - I am going to do at least five push-ups each day (real ones, not on the knees). And all at the same time - not one push-up five times daily :p

I know this seems tiny - but I used to be able to do over 20 in a row. With luck, by the end of 21 days, I should be able to do at least 10 or 15 consecutive.

diamond_girl
09-22-2005, 05:22 PM
I'm here, yesterday was a by...and I still haven't gotten them today yet. I'm gonna do them after soccer (I coach my sons team)

Hugs to everyone (red, you like my new horsie)

Shad
09-22-2005, 05:35 PM
So I start off full of promise, lets see how it goes.

My challenge to me is this:

Limit carbs - so my breakfast cereal is lo-carb, I'm shopping tonight for lo carb tortilla wraps for my lunches and the starchy, carby veges are treat only and will be mainly replaced with fresh leafy stuff.

Portions - will be much smaller. I have this wonderful habit of saying 'oh yeah that looks about 100g. We will measure!!!!

Water - It's not so difficult, is it??? You know what happens when you don't! And that's painful right?? Yep well drink the stuff!

Gym - Move the days around again. Go Saturday to Wednesday inclusive 40 - 60 mins per time. It just gets so tiring on Thursday and Fridays that nothing is being achieved at home. So shake it up again.

There we are - Day1 of 21 - I have had breakfast early. My lunch is a homemade mix of braised lamb and veges in a khobz wholemeal wrap. Dinner is going to be an easy one from what is in the fridge before shopping - eggs?? bit of bacon needs to be eaten, tomatoes from the garden. Fruit.

Anyway before I ramble, I'm off to do the daily grind. Have a good day everyone.

redballoon
09-22-2005, 06:42 PM
Good morning, everyone! It's Day 2, the start of it and I'm late getting up and going to have to blow off the gym. That doesn't make me happy. I so hate it when life/work gets in the way of what I want to do....oh, wait! I could have gotten up earlier...:mad:

Shad -- You've got a lot of things in your challenge. Good luck! Keep it simple for us! I cannot remember everyone's challenge so always be sure to give us a clear, "I'm on Day 4..." or whatever. And then go into to exquisite detail if you feel like it. Waffle away as I do! :lol:

diamond -- Did I forget to mention your wonderful horse? I guess you hadn't posted after you changed it! Yes, yes, I saw it. It's wonderful! What action! Wish my horse moved like that. Well, maybe she would if I weren't sitting on her! You haven't gotten what? Your ab exercises. So, are you restarting or taking a pause day? Whichever, good luck! Do it!!!

FishWoman -- Welcome! :wave: Real pushups! Okay! :strong: Go for it!

curly -- Did you figure out what day you're on? You have really been kicking A, eh? Congratulations on the weight loss! :cp: Must feel great! :sunny:

Apple -- Good for you! :bravo: No social life or temptations!?! :lol: Well, really, I'm doing this no-alcohol thing. I can do it, that's not the question. It's whether I want to or not, and yes, there are just certain situations where I WANT to drink with people. Others I do go out with and have dinner or coffee, but you will never find me dead in a pub drinking anything but beer! And some of me workmates are the same. They would force my mouth open and pour the beer down if I said I wasn't going to join them and ordered some "girlie drink" like juice! :rofl: Tell you the truth though, I'm getting a bit tired of the routine...that's another reason I want to get away from it for a while.

carla -- too bad about the pics. I don't see anything anywhere about size limits, so it didn't occur to me that there may be some. Take curly up on her generous offer (thanks curl!!). I'd do it for you too but I have no such software anymore since my computer died (my old one). Hope to see the furry ones soon!

Oh, and more importantly!! Welcome back to the challenge!! :cb: Sure sound like me not knowing where things will settle. I'm still pissed at myself for not getting to the gym this morning. If my anger/disgust can last through the day I could get to the gym tonight! :idea: God, I wish I could afford an ipod! I need some heavy heavy music to get me shaking this butt!

friends -- Glad to see you here! So, are you just easing into the idea of weight loss again? Sounds like you had a bad setback or something. Good luck and we're rooting for you! :flow1:

vanessa6295
09-22-2005, 07:29 PM
Day 17, exercised and stayed within my points!!:):)
Everybody keep up the good work!!

curlylocks
09-22-2005, 08:27 PM
45 min of circuit training and walked 2 miles.... and drank the oceans again!

SillyFluff
09-22-2005, 11:06 PM
Wasnt as much as usual but its was more then nothing. Walked around campus for like 10 minutes...maybe more...but I didnt wan't to overestimate.
Didn't do bike today. Was tryin to help my boyfriend find a new car. I tihnk we are gonna walk when he gets home tonight (4am) And then we'll be out all day tomorrow so I'll probably do the bike then.

carla49
09-22-2005, 11:23 PM
Day 1 of my still vague challenge done. No alcohol, no chocolate or candy, no exercise :lol3: ...

redballoon
09-23-2005, 12:24 AM
I'm calling FOUL on carla!!!!

gray eyed girl
09-23-2005, 01:19 AM
I'm through with day 1 again! :) And still glowing and thrilled with that nice ONE at the start of my weight :).

vanessa6295
09-23-2005, 05:58 AM
Day 18 today, im going to the movies with my friends tonight..lots of junk food and temptation..lets just hope i have more willpower tonight then i did last friday! lol :)wish me luck! Well im gone now, everyone keep up the good work!!
Vanessa
SW:175
CW:155
GW:135

quiltingqueen
09-23-2005, 08:12 AM
Well, I hope it's OK to join in now. I'm new here, and I need to challenge myself.

My challenge- 21 days of dedicated exercise. Walking back and forth to classes does not count. Starting with at least 10 minutes a day.

Babs

friendsforfitness
09-23-2005, 09:13 AM
Hi Everyone!
Day 3 of visiting this thread,site,reading, and getting inspired accomplished!

Red-Setback?? You could say that. I am discovering that my biggest weakness is succombing (sp?) to defeat much too easily. The littlest obstacles I allow to sabatoge my goals and desires. I have also realized that I allow myself to drowned in taking care of my children and leave myself to the birds. No excuses, just honest acknowledgements of my faults and weaknesses. I'm not happy about it either. I guess the good side of this (as I struggle to find a good side) would be my recognition of it. Now I have to figure out how to see it coming and stop it from happening next time.There will be a next time, there always is. So yes it is a very slow creep back into living healthy and losing weight. I plan on grocery shopping this weekend and have a week's worth of SBD menus to go by to begin to be on plan by Monday. I am so dissappointed in myself for my failure in this once again. :(
I keep trying to tell myself that only people who fail and don't try again are failures because you can't ever succeed without trying even if it is over and over again right?! (This is an attempt to boost my spirits, however lame it may be>) LOL!

Carla- I'm so happy for you to be in ONEderland. I hope to be there one day soon. Good for you for staying so focused!!

Well, enough of my rambles for the moment anyways. I hope everyone has a really groovy day!!! :D

Chaps
09-23-2005, 09:23 AM
Woo hoo, one day left!

GrayEyedGirl - Congratulations on being below 200!! Must feel great!

Everyone else, have a great day!

carla49
09-23-2005, 09:46 AM
All right already! :drill: Put away the yellow cards! My challenge is now defined: no alcohol or candy. If I decide to add exercise or junk food, I can always add a simultaneous challenge to make it all very complicated.

Curly has very kindly downsized my kitty snap. :thanks: Unfortunately, I now realize I picked the one that doesn't show Lily's stunning ice blue eyes... not that that will matter if I can't figure out how to detach it from the email and re-attach it to this post.

Right now I'm busy kicking myself (does that count as exercise? :lol: ) because I'm not so sure I like my new fridge. It is beautiful, but probably too small. And of course it's an odd size (tall and thin, like I'd like to be), so any kitchen reno which would accommodate it wouldn't accommodate a larger, shorter fridge. Not to mention the wasted $$$, and the conundrum of what to do with the fridge if I replace it. I hate it when I make costly decisions that don't work out.

Of course my fridge issues are pretty puny compared to Rita. The latest I hear on the news is that the storm is now headed to make landfall at Lake Charles LA, while the roads out of Houston are jammed with evacuees inching along. A few posters on other threads have family humkered down in Houston, and CathyXXX who is from Lake Charles and is now sheltered in a church with other evacuees, hoping everything will work out all right. Not to mention all those poor people who survived Katrina and are now being displaced again. Lots of :goodvibes: going out to them.

On a lighter note, here is my attempt at posting my little pin-ups:

Hmmm. Can't quite figure it out. Maybe later? Maybe I'm not meant to share my babies with y'all?

FishWoman
09-23-2005, 11:03 AM
Okay, I did my five push-ups and they were easier than yesterday. It is amazing how quickly your muscles remember :)

Plus, we had plank poses in yoga last night - so that was more working of the arms.

Shad
09-23-2005, 06:11 PM
Day 2

Yesterday was pretty good all things considered. I stuck to lo carb food. Checked the portions well and although the snacking monster crept up on me after dinner, I did manage to have an on plan snack instead of what I thought I wanted. Lots of water drowned the snacking monster anyway. The new gym regime starts today and as soon as I get off here I am off for an hour on weights and resistance and another hour on a Body Balance class at the gym. Saturday is the big indulgence day at the gym. Here is where I make up for any sessions not done during the week etc. Self flagellation really.

Thoughts going out to those caught up in Rita. It is such a huge storm, it can't fail to miss something!!!! Sometimes I think Mother Nature is so ticked off at us missing up the world that she is sending warnings to make us change our ways. What with hurricanes, tsunami, earthquakes and typhoons around the world, not to mention our ongoing severe drought here in Queensland where we about to be banned from using sprinklers in the garden and washing cars and being encouraged to use the grey water from washing machines and showers etc. Apparently the catchment area where I live is now less than 34% of it's capacity which means at present rate we will run out in less than two years.

Okay, enough of that. On to the gym. Let's see day 2 go as well as Day 1. Have a great day all.

Chaps
09-23-2005, 07:33 PM
FishWoman - It's funny that you are talking about doing push-ups. Since I have been seeing such a difference in my abs with this challenge, I started to add push-ups last week. My upper body strength is not great. I started with 4, which was literally all I could do, and now I am doing 7! It's amazing how sticking with something really delivers results!

So, tomorrow will be the last day of my challenge, and thinking about that inspired me to get on here and post a hello to everyone. Hope your weekend is going well!

SillyFluff
09-23-2005, 09:46 PM
Boyfriend's car broke down so i was out ALL day with him tryin to find a car. Didn't get to walk, so I'm using my pause day. Plan on walking when he gets home tonight.

Did do 7m in 31 minutes @ 13mph on the bike though. SO atleast I accomplished something...

SillyFluff
09-23-2005, 10:34 PM
Just a little bit of interesting information I just found. All this time I thought I was walking 1/2 a mile. Its actually a mile. Somehow my dad got that its 4 times around to make a mile. Its only 2. Or one if u take all the courts....WOO HOO that means I have been walking a mile

justkeepswimming
09-24-2005, 12:14 AM
Hello all! :wave:

Bet you thought I was awol!

Today is the end of my 21 day of my no regular soda challenge!!! :cheer: :encore: :balloons:

I did it, I did it, uh huh, uh huh, yeah! :dance: :dance: :dance:

I have to start over on my exercise challenge.

My husband took a job 13 hours away and he will be gone from us for 3 months. I was busy helping him get ready to leave. Him leaving was hard for all of us. He has never been away that long before. Being away from the kids and myself is really hard for him and us. :stress: :cry: But it will benefit us in the long run and it's not forever.

Well I'm going to stay busy so I can keep my sanity (as if I'm not busy enough working full time with 4 kids). :jig: :jig: :jig: :jig:

Well better go.

Good luck to everyone.

Tina :dizzy: :spin: :angel:

gray eyed girl
09-24-2005, 12:56 AM
Day 2 done!

carla49
09-24-2005, 01:32 AM
Day 2 done.

And we're surrounded by success!! Tina has managed to stay off the full-fat soda (to borrow an expression from my English cousin), and Chaps is inches away from her 21-day prize. Amazing how much faster other people's 21 days seem to go!!

So here's a 21-banana salute for you both to share:

:cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb:

And while I'm at it, how about a few random bravos and bouquets and so on:

:bravo: :cp: :hat: :dance: :dancer: :woo: :woo: :balloons: :balloons: :encore: :encore: :encore: :cheer: :cheer: :sunny: :encore: :encore: :chockiss: :chockiss: :woo: :woo:

friendsforfitness
09-24-2005, 07:39 AM
Things are looking like I may be getting back on this wagon after all.

Congratulations on completeing your challenge Tina! It feels good doesn't it? It's been a really long time for me, but I still remember. Sorry to hear about dh going away for so long, that would make me nuts I know. Keeping busy is the key so it sounds like you'll do alright in spite of things.

Well, I set myself some goals yesterday. Four to be exact. I accomplished two of the four. So I'm adding my goals to this challenge. When I post on here as my challenge requires, I'll set myself no less than 3 goals for that day. Then the next day I'll have something to refer back to and have all of you to hold me accountable also. LOL!

With that said, my goals for today are:
1/ Drink 5 glasses of water.
2/ Find my food journal and dust it off.
3/ Plan my meals for next week.

Wish me luck! I hope everyone has a great day!!
Lisa :D

redballoon
09-24-2005, 08:22 AM
Hurrah for Tina!! You just kept swimming!!! Twenty-one days without regular soda!!!

:cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
:encore: :encore: :encore: :encore: :encore: :encore: :encore:

redballoon
09-24-2005, 08:30 AM
"Not meant to share your babies" with us?!?!?! Don't be absurd!! Did you figure it out? How to detach the photo from your email?? Actually, you don't "detach" it. You save it onto your computer. If you have a Mac hold down the control button while clicking on the photo that comes up in the message part of the email. If it doesn't come up you can probably do the same with the file name. If you have a PC, then click the right button on your mouse. Something like "save image to disk" or "save attachment" should come up. Hit that and save it somewhere you can remember where it is, like the desktop. Then you should be able to work with the picture from there. It's possible that that will not work, in which case you have to do the same but instead of saving it you will first need to open it with a photo viewing application and then save it again with "save as." Good luck! :goodluck:

Chaps
09-24-2005, 09:06 AM
I finished 21 days straight through, doing my ab workout! I feel really great, but the best part is, I also feel that I have adopted a new habit. Because I can see and feel the results, there is no way that I am going to stop doing it now! Thanks to everyone for support, I really like coming here each day to read what is up with everyone and hear other success stories.

I do believe my next challenge will be no chocolate. I will start that on Monday... unless it turns out that I don't eat any today or Sunday. But I will leave that possibility open for now.

Word up, yo!

curlylocks
09-24-2005, 09:09 AM
didnt get a chance to post last night... but I completed day 12!

vanessa6295
09-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Didnt get a chance to post yesterday but completed day 19!:)

carla49
09-24-2005, 10:48 AM
Trying - very trying... And succeeding?

Red, I am so impressed with people who "get" computers. My problem was that when I tried to open the attachment to save it, the computer said there was no program to view it with, which is nuts since it was a Kodak file and I use Easy Share myself... But I think this has worked. If so, I expect waves and waves of compliments on my adorable children. (I know, I know. They're not children. So shoot me.)

carla49
09-24-2005, 10:59 AM
We did it!!! Red, Curly, thanks so much for the help. :thanks: Now if I can just figure out how to reduce the resolution on photos myself, you'll get a different pose with every post. Especially ones that will show off Lil's eyes...

Mez, where are you? :chin: Have you deserted us? :dunno: Please come home, we miss you! :kickcan:

Apple Blossom
09-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Oh well. Back to day one for me. May as well bail out at the early stages, right? I did my situps thurs night but Thurs is also floor cleaning night and I wasn't up to stepping after that. And then last night I was to tired to do anything. I'm coming down with a cold. Still cruising along with no beer. Less than a week to go! I think I've finished day 15 :hat:
Yesterday, I guess because of the stuffed head, I was really feeling down on myself. Wondering what difference does it really make keeping beer off the table. I'm not losing weight anyway blah blah blah :blah: And I WISH I could do this and it's NOT FAIR that other people can do that :blah:
Hopefully I can snap out of that mode today....
Great job Tina!
Cute babies, Carla. When I have a little extra time I'll post my "babies"too..

Sweetloml
09-24-2005, 01:52 PM
Hey all,

Just wanted to join in on this and start my 21-Day Challenge. I am at a slump and need to kick up my excerise some.

My challenge is:

1. working out 45 min to 1 hour each day for 21 days -
2. drinking more water

Starting today =)

redballoon
09-24-2005, 07:23 PM
carla -- Your cats are exqusite!! Don't know if this will help but check out this Easy Share info link on how to reduce the size of your pics.

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=569/593&pq-locale=en_US

redballoon
09-24-2005, 07:48 PM
Chaps has done it!! :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: Abs of steel!!! You get the 21-jiving dance!

:dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

vanessa6295
09-24-2005, 10:27 PM
Well today was supposed to be day 20, i stayed within my points, but i never exercised like i was supposed to..so i guess im back at day 20 tomorrow.

vanessa6295
09-24-2005, 10:30 PM
Actually i just went back and read the rules and i was wrong..tomorrow is day 1 for me again :( I already used a pause day...

Apple Blossom
09-24-2005, 10:45 PM
I'm going to try a kitty photo too....

redballoon
09-24-2005, 10:49 PM
vanessa -- can't you just do a bit and get it over with?!?! I'll look the other way if you get up super early and put in a double go at it tomorrow morning! ;)

redballoon
09-24-2005, 10:54 PM
Apple -- cute! We are the cat thread!!

SillyFluff
09-24-2005, 11:16 PM
Boyfriend and i walked 1.8m this morning ANd just got back a few minutes ago from walking 1.5m. Did good today. :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

vanessa6295
09-24-2005, 11:48 PM
Thanks red, i just finsihed my gazelle at 12:30..lol

gray eyed girl
09-25-2005, 02:04 AM
cute kitties, everyone :) Mine tends to hide most of the day (fear of children) but if I can get a picture of her that's worthy of sharing, I will post it.

I'm through day 3 today :)

Shad
09-25-2005, 04:22 AM
Day three down and out.

Water good
Exercise great
Portions and lo carb excellent.

Had a great workout on the upper body today. Laid concrete pavers early am. Then went to the gym and did an hour on upper body weights and resistance.
Breakfast was one egg, 1 bacon slice and tomatoes. No toast - first for this chick.
Lunch was a couple of wholewheat, lo carb sorj wraps with salad and ham and a bit of cheese
Dinner will be bbq'd ocean trout fillet with salad and yoghurt lemon dressing. I've also had a corn cob for an entree - that's why dinner is going to be a bit later on.

Weekend is over - how come they go so fast and the weekdays drag??? So it is back to work tomorrow for another round.
For those still on the weekend, have a good one. For those like me going back to work have a good day at the coalface.

redballoon
09-25-2005, 06:36 AM
Hello, everyone! Sunday morning here. Well, I don't know which day to say I am on. I was on two on Friday and then got pulled into the beer vortex with the two biggest drinkers in the office. So, there went the alcohol ban, though I did stick to the sugar and white flour ban. Since I was only on Day 2 I should just start over but I feel like staying even one day ahead. Also, I feel like making it harder for me, with the threat of imminent punishment if I slack off again. I do have two more pause days, anyhow, but with all my NOs in the food department, that is going to be hard. Still, I will just go back to Day 1. Somehow, it doesn't bother me because I realize that every day is like Day 1 really. I want to keep this kind of eating all the time if I can. Yesterday, despite the hangover I managed to stay away from anything not permitted, which now also includes nuts and cheese (this being because they are the things I reach for instead of sugar and flour products and they are packing on the calories to be sure.) I am trying to avoid counting calories so if I just don't allow anything that can be sucked into my mouth the second I leave the convenience store, I feel certain I will automatically be cutting my calorie intake. So, I'm calling today, Sunday, Day 3. Forward march!!!

Things have really been busy here and we've had a deluge of winners! Wow! And some new people too! This place is hopping! :cb:

It's now evening. Everything okay so far. Just finished a yummy baked sweet potato. Remembered I can have popcorn! I can do this if I just set my sights wider. There is more out there than that junk I was eating. I am going to try to learn to make something simple but very yummy, perhaps some wholewheat pasta in olive oil and fresh basil!

Sweetloml -- Howdy! :wave: Glad to have you aboard. That's a tough challenge you've given yourself. Good luck! :goodluck:

Apple -- Oh, no! Back to Day 1....oh well, I'm glad you're keeping it rolling. And, after all, you are STILL on your beer ban! :cp: Perhaps you could expand your exercise definition to allow for another type of exercise. I think I would get so bored with just stepping that I would be finding ways to not do it.

I know very well how you're feeling. Even with all my bans on certain foods I don't lose weight either. I feel smaller and so but I'm not except maybe just a bit. I haven't been doing weight training and that is making me smaller I guess. Still, the clothes are not that much looser and the scale doesn't move. I've been thinking it must be broken. Then again, I don't get much exercise at all. Anyhow, there ARE reasons and benefits for and in keeping beer off the table (well, out of you!) And a big thing is probably just discipline. You need to feel that you CAN do things and this is one of them. It's easy to say, "oh, sure I could do that..." The thing is, it doesn't really matter whether we can or cannot do it. It's about doing it. If we say, "well, I can do it but don't want to" we're probably just kidding ourselves. I really hate that Nike took over the "Just do it!" slogan, because I hate to feel like I'm copying them (it's the other way around, isn't it, they are copying all of us...and not even paying us for it!! :mad: )....but the thing is, we just have to DO IT! You will do all these elements and eventually you will be able to put them all together to lose weight, or do anything you want to do. What are the things you're wishing you could do, by the way, and that you find not fair others can? I'm curious. Well, I hope you turn your thoughts around. Recently, I'm finding that the best thing for me to do is focus on not what I don't have, but on what I DO have. It helps a lot. Maybe you can try it. :grouphug:

Shad -- You're moving right along. Excellent! Like that you had a good workout too. Wow, quite a bit there, eh? Well, keep it up! :dancer:

gray -- :bravo: on getting through Day 3!!

vanessa -- I am SOOO proud of you!! :love: You are simply inspiration embodied!!

Silly -- Very glad to hear you've made it through eight! Now on to nine and all will be just fine!! (I'm in a rhyming mood..) :cloud9:

carla -- So, which is Lil and which is Big Boy? I am confused. I see one big cat with beautiful blue eyes. But you say you didn't use the picture that shows off Lil's eyes...hmm...the little cat isn't big...so if that's Big Boy....maybe you called him that because he wasn't big....agggggghhhhh!!!!! I am confused. :stress:

Too bad about the fridge, eh? You could always sell the fridge, no? Tall and thin...hmm...how tall are you, by the way?

How are things going with Rita anyhow? When I'm not at work (which has CNN) I don't get much of foreign news. Japanese news is pretty localized unless something is big big. All yesterday I was watching CNN (well it was on without the sound) and all I could see was some reporter trying to hold on to his CNN baseball cap...very intelligent headgear in a hurricane.....

well, I'm glad to hear you have committed to your challenge. I left the exercise part out but I am eventually going to get back into it. I am thinking of starting yet another thread with a different kind of challenge...a tally like thing, points perhaps..scores...or an evaluation based on different components...like a gymnastics judge...hmmm..more thought must go into this.

curly -- zoom...zoom...this girl is zooming along on her challenge! :lol: Good for you!

chaps -- Well, you did it! I'm so glad to hear you have made a new habit. No chocolate next, eh? Hmm, do you eat a lot of it? Remember, you'll have an extra free day..but I remember you didn't want to take yours this past challenge? You may need it for chocolate though. ;)

friends -- Hi there! I like your addition to your challenge. Setting goals everyday and having to do them. Heh, that's a great way around the doing the same thing every day for 21 days straight! :idea: Good idea! :goodluck:

swimming -- What's up? Are you going to do another challenge? Oh, that's right, you said you have to start over...hmm. Did you achieve liftoff yet? Bummer with the husband gone....although I know some people would enjoy the break ;) You can do it! :strong:

Fish -- How are those pushups coming along? Are we through Day 3 yet? :flow1:

quiltingqueen -- Welcome! :wave: Sorry for the late welcome. Of course it's OK to join the thread. I will send you my bank account info shortly... just kidding. :rofl: Ok, a mover here! "Dedicated exercise" she says! WOW!! Let's go for it!! :wl: :ebike: :tread:

Heh, I'm wondering where some of our people our. :shrug: 1nceagain!? mez?! Caro?! diamond girl?! RoniR?!?! fancyfrog?!?! Testament?!?! Where are you?!?!! :dunno: Come back!! We miss you!

And heh, people, what did you think of my horse?!!? :love:

SillyFluff
09-25-2005, 07:46 AM
Just walked in from my walk this morning. We walked 3.2 miles. It was so pretty out for once. Didn't feel like the heat was sucking my air out. Hehehe.

curlylocks
09-25-2005, 08:26 AM
Got my day 13 done yesterday!!

Oh and if u were wondering about the email addy? "MY TABBIES" Here we go.... Micah... Myah ... Mallie... & Malachai.. (Chai for short)

my mantra? GET R' DONE!!!

redballoon
09-25-2005, 08:36 AM
curly -- Wait a minute?!!? Isnt't that last one a dog!?!? :rofl:

curlylocks
09-25-2005, 09:53 AM
lmao he is an honorary Tabby!

carla49
09-25-2005, 12:36 PM
Red, the big grey cat is Zen (Big Boy) and his eyes are beautiful and green. Lily is the little tortie point siamese cross, who has smallish icy blue eyes. (Do their eyes get bigger as they get older? I sure hope so...)

I didn't realize I hadn't said anything about your handsome horse. I guess I was reeling at the litter box implications of having a horse as a pet. :rofl: No wonder you're broke! It must cost a fortune to board a horse in Tokyo!!

Curly, the cats are gorgeous, especially Malachai. An exotic breed, right? No wonder you know how to play with the photos! I may end up sending you others to be resized so I can continue to compete. Maybe even one of Lil with her eyes open!

Shad, I hope the pavers you were laying were cute! And in the early am to boot! (That's just my little dialect joke: here a paver is the guy who paves roads... and your paver is our paving stone...)

And Apple also has a grey/white cat! This is fun. If we all get tired of challenges, we can have a cat thread as Red suggested; I know Zen could do with a few hours in the gym. Of course to hear him talk (and he talks ALL THE TIME) he is neglected and mistreated and starved.

Vanessa, am I right in thinking today is Day 21? Did you take Red's generous advice and NOT go back to Day 1? Gee, if I'd known she was able to doff the drill sargeant :drill: hat and show compassion, maybe I wouldn't have quit my last challenge just inches from the finish line. Then again, I guess it's impossible to double up on NOT doing something...

Shad, we're all waiting with bated breath to see your shy cat. Maybe if you BAITED your breath with, say, eau de tuna instead you'd be able to reel her in? (Another bad pun. You're all going to think I'm drunk or something.)

Speaking of which, Red, there are calories in beer... Not to mention the extra calories consumed the next day to help with recovery. (Believe me, I know what I'm talking about.) The best part of this challenge is being hangover-free every day. The worst part is the dawning realization that maybe it's time to give up the grape forever. (I can hear the winery owners shrieking as their stock value plunges...)

As I've been writing this, I have the TV tuned to the Shopping Channel, which I normally never watch. I'm very tempted to order the Tony Little Gazelle, which many people on 3fc swear by. The price is good, but where will I put it? Folded away in the guest room/office next to the rebounder, never to be used again? Of course if I just leave it in the living room in front of the TV, I won't need to get a climbing tree for the cats...

Now the Gazelle spot is over, and they're flogging some cream which will make me SO much younger, even fill in those nasty lines beside the mouth. I have a feeling it might work better if I go to the surgeon who's doing my nose and just have the creases filled in temporarily for a ridiculous amount of money. (The nose is not for cosmetic reasons - repair to a deviated septum. Slight remodel since it's kind of a two-fer.) Ah, the beginning of the slippery slope. First the nose, then the lines, then I'll start wanting a face lift, eye job, lipo... Actually I'm terrified of the upcoming surgery on the 7th, and have a feeling once will be enough to nip my desire for "improvements" in the bud.

By the way, Red, I'm 5'8", and my fridge is 5'11" - 6'. I think the fridge weighs less than me... :lol: The whole reno thing is a bit of a joke. I've never been good at making decisions, and even worse at lining up contractors. So for now I'm buying appliances (usually the wrong ones) and tearing out cupboards one by one. Last night I was in the bathroom and started thinking I could easily start chipping out the old tiles that will have to go when I redo the bathrooms. And then the walls would forever match the cement floor left behind when I removed the flooring. Then again, at least they wouldn't be pink anymore...

It's time to stop procrastinating and go look for a new coffee table to dislike. Sorry for the rambling post. It must be a symptom of wine/candy withdrawal.

As for our new members, glad to have you with us! You'll enjoy this thread - most of the posts aren't the kind of verbal diarrhea I specialize in.

Day 3 (4?) well underway.

Sweetloml
09-25-2005, 01:07 PM
did my first day yesterday and completed it:

1 hours elliptical 09/24
100 sit ups
6 - 8oz water

will do my exercise later today and post a little more- have to head to doctors this morning - son's got the ear infection that I found out just last night with his crying. Thanks for the welcome and will post later after I finish day 2's

Shad
09-25-2005, 02:42 PM
Cats - yes I have one of those although I am more of a dog person myself. However, Sunday the cat came to me one Sunday right after Christmas.

I found her tied up with electrical tape and wrapped in some sort of quilt thing inside a plastic bag and thrown from a car into the middle of the road when I picked her up. I had just got the package off the road and onto the grass nature strip when a huge truck roared past. Now I just can't stand that sort of thing. No animal, bird or fish deserves that sort of treatment. Anyway this poor little filth covered tortoiseshell kitten has grown into this spoilt brat.

redballoon
09-25-2005, 05:53 PM
Morning all! Up and at 'em. Work before work before work. Well, glad to have work. Am going to have to make my way to the racetrack every day from Wednesday to Sunday here. Uggh...for early-morning track work...have to chase trainers and stable staff around...try to get comments...write reports...ughh...oh, well, better than sitting around feeling sorry for myself. This is the start of Day 4 and four is an unlucky number in Japanese. I will make this a GOOD day...yes, I will. I am determined!

Shad -- You are a saint! Anyone who rescues animals goes immediately into my saint book. God, that is horrific what happened to that poor kitten. You know, could be my strange brain but before I read your post but had seen the picture (and she is beautiful) I could feel there was something very sad in her past. Damn. Sunday. Truly a day of resurrection for that little critter...

So, how's the challenge coming along? Wow, that laying the pavers thing didn't even register with me. I probably thought it was some sort of Aussie breakfast. Leave it to carla to find that and wow, it was a doozie! I bet the others reading here were just shocked into silence...or went running for the "Christian threads!" :eek: (and you a saint and all yourself) So, tell me....were they cute?! :rofl:

Sweet -- Wow! You are hardcore, aren't you? An hour on the elliptical?! :tread: Great going! Sorry to hear about your son. Hope he gets better real soon! :yes:

curly -- Well, I don't know about your Malachai liking being called a puddy cat...then again...who's paying the bills, eh?! I think I like Myah best...something cool about him (her?) Beautiful picture of Micah. Looks like some movie star shot. Thanks for posting them. The addition of all these furry people just makes me feel better! :sunny:

Silly -- Hurrah! :cp: Nine days down! Glad it's cooling off for you. Here too, actually cold. I was feeling it riding my bike home yesterday and the one cat is starting to sniffle already...as am I. Well, keep it up. You're almost over the peak!

carla -- Megaposter! Wow! Great! I love to hear you babble on. :drill: Drill sergeant, is it? I'll show you drill sergeant! Just you wait now, there's going to be NO mercy for you! :crazy:

All clear on the cats now. My computer monitor is dying and the colors are all screwed up. Everything has a greenish/bluish tint to it so I couldn't tell if Zen's eyes were blue or green. I don't think Lily's eyes will get bigger, specially not a Siamese. If anything, they tend to look smaller....then again, wait...one of mine..Nozomi...her eyes used to look small and now they don't...she was starving when I found her..wasn't very pretty...now she's got fat stores! Oh, and my horse is a mare...though she is handsome...yes, she is all the reason I'm broke..thing is, I just can't understand why I have to be resigned to paupership (word?) without her. AND, I am willing to work my butt off and the work just doesn't come. That's what's the problem! Oh well, I just keep at it, keep asking people, keep bugging them, pestering them for work. Something's got to give...I hope.

As for the calories in beer thing...I'm simply not going to believe that. You know, you can't believe everything you read. I've heard people try to say that about wine too, but don't you believe 'em! Oh, what can I say..I'm just a rock 'n' roller and life is too sober for me...no, really, don't worry...I am sober 90 percent of the time...90 percent of the time I don't have a beer in front of me...no...wait, that's not true...ok, better shut up...we're going to be a bad influence on Apple! :rofl:

Well, I'm sure your surgery will be fine. As for the other stuff, just leave it alone. What's wrong with lines and creases anyhow? I mean, really, the people who care about such things on your face aren't the ones you need to impress, right? Well, you know that.

Ok, gotta work. Ciao all! Wish me luck. My horoscope on TV had me (a Leo) at the worst of everyone. Shudder...shudder...someone give me some courage...

friendsforfitness
09-25-2005, 06:05 PM
So far so good ladies!

Lots of beautiful kitties in this thread, thanks for sharing!

I did not drink enough water yesterday, 3 out of four. I did plan my meals out and what was that other one???

Today I have spent making veggie quiche cups, jello, boiled eggs, salsa chicken, sbd cheesecakes, grocery shopping and cleaning, and chopping all the fresh veggies I bought. Busy, busy, busy, but I'm ready to go full force on the SBD tomorrow. Tonight I enjoy several beers first though oh and pizza. LOL!

Goals for today:
1/visit here
2/prep food for SBD
3/enjoy beer. LOL!

have fun everyone!
Lisa

curlylocks
09-25-2005, 08:00 PM
RED:
Myah is the problem child of the clan... I found her dumped on the side of the street in a cat carrier... she wasnt even old enuff to be away from her momma..(had to hand feed her) and she fit in the palm of my hand... She is still a little peanut of a kitty barely 5 lbs

lets see so far she has swallowed a needle & thread to the tune of $600

chewed on a fuse in the fuse box>>> $400.00 3 days inthe hospital and i had to feed her by syringe for a week

here's her baby pic

redballoon
09-25-2005, 08:04 PM
curly -- Wow, baby pix now! Yowzah! :cb: Love it! You see?! I have a way of picking out the ones that have had something up in their lives, something other than sitting around coddled. You are now in my saint book as well. My hat off to you for caring so well for the little kitten. :love:

Shad
09-25-2005, 08:28 PM
I doubt that I qualify as a saint Red. I can just about hear the rest of the world breaking into laughter over that one :rofl: :lol3: :rofl: :lol3: :rofl: :lol3: :rofl: :lol3: :rofl: :lol3: :rofl: :lol3: :rofl: :lol3: :rofl: :lol3: :rofl: :lol3: :rofl: :lol3: :rofl: :lol3: :rofl: :lol3: :rofl: :lol3: and besides, how can you be a saint when you laid 6 pavers on a Sunday morning - all before 8.00am.

Reminds me of the old joke about the Italian nun who died and went to heaven to be asked by St Peter who she would like to be if she was reincarnated to earth. She replied that she wanted to be Sarah Pippilini. St Peter had no idea who Sarah Pippilini was so she showed him the newspaper that stated in inch high capitals - Sahara Pipeline laid by 500 men in less than 3 months.

I just do what I consider to be right and just (well more or less just). Are you some sort of psychedelic or telepathetic??? :rofl: I am about my animals, family and friends. The rest don't seem to come into the equation. Anyway Sunday is still neurotic - won't go anywhere near a suitcase or plastic shopping bag and hates loud noises and shouting. I had to teach her how to play (not very successfully) and I have tried to see her through the neurosis, but after 7 years I have learned to live with them. I can't afford a feline psychiatrist, animal behaviourist or whatever they call themselves. At least now she has enough confidence to come out when the family or one or 2 friends arrive. The mobs she can't take and is not particularly good with men and will hide if I have too many people around or there is too much noise. Other than that she is a very loving puddy tat and loves to cuddle.

Right back to work. Just had to set the record straight about sainthood. Not for this chick. Be back tonight to report on day 4. Still plenty of time to make a big slip up yet although the exercise is done for the day and breakfast is long gone.

vanessa6295
09-25-2005, 09:06 PM
WAHOO done day 21!! Just finished my gazelle workout and stayed within my points! I feel great. I am going to start my new challenge tomorrow. This time my challenge goals are basically the same as last time, exercise 30-45 mins everyday, and stay within my points. This time i would like to add something else to my challenge but i dont know what..any suggestions? Everyone keep up the great work!!!:):):)
vanessa

curlylocks
09-25-2005, 09:18 PM
Me and chai just got back from a 3 mile walk ... what a beautiful night... we walked to the beach and he had a lil swim... this 21 days seems to be going super fast!!!

:cheer: Vanessa!!!!! way to go!

Shad: all my pets are cast aways... and they all have lil quirks.. U are giving ur kitty a wonderful loving home... thats the important thing... im not so sure even an animal shrink could change their personality... some are cuddlers.. some are just independent...

mezmerize
09-26-2005, 12:22 AM
:cb: :cp: :dance: :woo: TO ALL THAT HAVE MADE THEIR CHALLENGE!!! :hat: :dancer:

There are SOOOOOOOOO many cute pictures of our pets! I just love looking at family pictures!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

I've been MIA after my challenge trying to get my head screwed on straight. I'm fighting that mental game of getting under 200! :rollpin: Well I didn't really go overboard eating unhealthy But I know I did just enough to gain a few lbs. I'll be able to see the damage tomorrow. (My weight in day) Well on a good note I'm fighting it! I decided to let my self sulk or whatever it is I'm doing one last day. (Sunday) Then no excuse I'm going back on a challenge!! I bought an Elliptical. I seen it at wal-mart. It was to cheap to pass up. On clearence for $79.00 (reg. $159) I know the cheap ones aren't the best but I don't have $500+ right now for the treadmill or Elliptical I had my eye on. It isn't a belt driven (I heard that magnetic ones are best) so that is a plus and it's quiet! It has a pluse monitor the basic elec. stuff but I feel it's not correct. I'm actually surprised on how much I like this one. I'm also suprised by not being able to do it for long. I got so tired doing it for 5 minutes! I have no ideal what is wrong with me!! I can do the WATP 6 miles total and not be as out of breath as 5 minutes on this!!! So here's my 21 day challenge! (thanks for suffering though my blabbing)
1. Take My Multi Vit and Omega Complex Pill each day
2. Stay in my WW Points/log food in WW Pure Points Software
3. Exercise at least 10 minutes a day.
4. Tell myself while looking in the mirror each moring that I CAN do this!! And something good about myself! (feel silly writing this but heard somewhere this helps)

Sweetloml
09-26-2005, 12:32 AM
done with day 2 :

:o 4 hour nap first:
45 min elliptical -oops
100 sit ups
5.5 - 8oz water

congrtz on everyone that finish their 21-Day Challenge. :cb: :bravo:

Cute picture of the kitten/cats :love: :love: - love animals but married somone that never had a pet - Blah!! :doh:

Son is doing better got the pink meds and some pain killers and he good to go -

Well, heading to bed, sweet dreams all :cloud9:

vanessa6295
09-26-2005, 05:49 AM
Well, today is day 1 of my new challenge and its also my weigh in, wish me luck :)

Shad
09-26-2005, 05:59 AM
Day 4 done and gone.

Water could have been better.
Exercise was great
Food just on this side of OK

friendsforfitness
09-26-2005, 06:01 AM
Here I am and getting hooked once again to 3FC! Thank God! I need this place!

Congratulations Vanessa on finishing your challenge!!!

My goals for today are:

1/Stay on SBD plan.
2/Drink 4 glasses of water.
3/Journal eating.

I spent the entire day yesterday saying good bye to my old habits and hello to my new habits. I cooked up salsa chicken bake and divided it into six individual lunches or dinners which I froze for future use. I put it in divided containers with green beans in some and broccoli in others. All I have to do is pop em in the microwave and viola! I also made SBD cheesecakes for my desserts in the evenings over the next two weeks. I made jello and boiled some eggs and made vegetable quiche cups to freeze for work day mornings. I think I'm prepared to do well these first two weeks. Wish me luck. I didn't read the SBD book completely, is that a bad thing? I mean I think i pretty much get it. That book is such a slow read for me. YuK!

Anyways much luck to everyone on their challenges and weight loss!!! Send me some positive thoughts and will power will ya?!

Lisa

friendsforfitness
09-26-2005, 06:03 AM
One more thing, these tickers? How do you go and change your weight on them?? Do you have to make a new one everytime you lose a pound? I lost a pound and I know it's not much, but hey, I'll take what I can get!

curlylocks
09-26-2005, 06:30 AM
go to user cp,, and edit signature, and change your current weight #

SillyFluff
09-26-2005, 07:23 AM
Just got back from my morning walk. We only walked about 1.9 miles. Kinda disappointed it wasnt as far as I wanted. Last night we walked another 1.6 miles. But still I wanted to do atleast 2.5. *sigh* oh well. Every little bit counts I guess.

redballoon
09-26-2005, 08:00 AM
Ok, I'm about to call this a day. The runaround with work has begn...and it's not even for that much money...Ugh. I have been stress eating..but still sticking to my challenge. So, I just ate too much yogurt and grapes. Heh, things could be a LOT worse, right? ;)

Silly -- You can't go for miles every night! :nono: Now you just be content with the fact that you most successfully, most wonderfully completed your Day 10!! :cp: Hurrah!! :cheer:

Shad -- Nah...you're still a saint in my book. I have a very edited version....mostly only animal lovers go in there! Nothing else matters. Sarah Pippelini!! :rofl:

Congrats on Day 4 done!! :bravo:

friends -- You sound like you're the MAN, the WOMAN!! Yeah! Great that you're getting cooking, really cookin' :cb: Is that you in the tub, by the way? Good luck! Come in and ask for help anytime! :yes:

vanessa -- CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :goodvibes :goodvibes
:bravo: :cp: :cp: :cp: :encore: :encore: :encore: :cp: :cp: :cp:
Fantastic going!! :woo: :woo: :woo:

You are awesome and as I said all along, a great inspiration. :flow1:

So, good luck on the new challenge. I don't know what else you need to do....hmm....you have to answer that...how about thinking up things you can do to celebrate and reward yourself and to use in times of stress that don't involve eating or drinking. Think of 21 of them and do them in a small way each day...one a day. How about that? This will help educate you to think and act like a naturally thin person.

Sweet -- Sounds great! 45 MINUTES I take it on the elliptical. Excellent work! :strong: You are rockin' :dancer:

mez -- So glad to see you!! Well, whatever, even if you slipped a bit, just get back on the wagon. I ALWAYS go way, way off for a few days before starting up a new challenge. Gloat a little, indulge a little, just get back to work soon! The new challenge sounds good. You are going to get way under 200. I can see it!! The elliptical is tough. I suggest you get some headphones and turn them up and do it to that. Go easy. It is hard work because you're using your legs AND arms. That gets your heartbeat up quickly. Go slowly at first and go long. Your stamina will build.

curly -- Congrats on Day 14!! I agree with the cat care philosophy. Now, which of your cats were you walking and swimming with? :lol3: Don't mind me....

Ok, sorry if I missed any points or anyone. I gotta get some shuteye!! Good night all! :yawn:

Tokyo out.... :faint:

diamond_girl
09-26-2005, 08:04 AM
I dropped out...Life got in the way, and I haven't done any abs. I'll come back when the stress is better. thanks so much for letting me play. I'll be back!!!

redballoon
09-26-2005, 08:06 AM
Diamond girl!!! :wave: Come on....just start over!! :yes:

mezmerize
09-26-2005, 08:52 AM
The DAMAGE!!! I GAINED 4 LBS! OMG!!! :fr: More than I thought but it's so easy to FOOL oneself! Anyways the damage is done and it's time to repair. So here I go Day 1 :)

diamond_girl - Lets start together and to quote Ba Ba ( Forest Gump Movie) I'll lean my back on you and vise versa so we don't get our face in the mud!

friendsforfitness
09-26-2005, 09:20 AM
Thanks Curly!! I did it!

Red,
That's my son Gage in the picture. The hands in the picture on the side of the tub are mine though. :rofl:

marbleflys
09-26-2005, 10:06 AM
Hi Everyone:

I'm very impressed by reading your thread and would like to join in......You all seem like just the motivation I need to get back on track....I was doing real well with 20 mins. of hard cardio and 20 mins. of wts....BUT THEN....home renovations began, I had no doors in my house and there was sanding, dry wall capentry and I've been staining/pickeling the new wood.... so formal exercise has stopped, but I'm doing heavy housework and not over-eating. I was also interuppted with a raging case of poison ivy that drove me crazy....I did a stint of prednesone, but still can't get rid of it.

Now that I've given you more info. than you need, can I still join? I have CATS! (2 maine coones) and a 92 lb. Akita....

I'm plotting my challenge and even if I start slow, it's better than not starting at all.

FishWoman
09-26-2005, 10:57 AM
Wow, it sounds like everyone had a great and busy weekend!

I am usually not online over the weekend but i did stick to my challenge - I even did 6 pushups today instead of 5.

All the kitties are so cute! Now i have to attach a picture of my dogs!

Here is to the start of another great and successful week!

Apple Blossom
09-26-2005, 12:51 PM
Hey guys. Oh dear, I have forgotten what day I am on...day 17 :hat:
Last night I had a few Mojitos. Yum. And watched a sad movie :( and the combination kept me from sleeping very well last night. In the past 2 years or so, I have noticed that if I have a drink too many, I don't sleep well. Usually I sleep like a log.. :yawn: All the more reason to lay off the stuff.
I haven't started up my exercise challenge yet but I will tonight. I hope.
Red, my frustrations often come from comparing myself to others which is bad bad bad. I wish I could.....have the time to start running again....have the time to follow artistic urges....have the time to fix up the house...have the time to clean the house well... :blah: But I have 3 young children and they are my main focus and consumers of most of my time and energy. I'm looking forward to the little one's 1st day of Kindergarten (4 yrs away...) but I also need to enjoy every moment of his toddler-hood because it goes by too quickly!!!
Thanks for listening...... :listen:
Here is a photo of Zack...not fair to leave him out. So that's my furry crew, Sabrina over there on the left, Zack and Nellie the pussycat. MEOW.
My old cat Peter passed away over the summer. He was 18. My daughter says she sees him in the sky....

curlylocks
09-26-2005, 02:03 PM
OOOOOOOOOO Mez thats what i want an elliptical! and that sounds like an awesome price 2!!!! maybe i should check walmart and put me one on layaway!

Hi ya Marbleflys!!! good to see ya joinin up!

marbleflys
09-26-2005, 03:17 PM
Mez, wasn't Forest Gump's friend Bubba? I just re-watched that movie....

I have more exercise equipment than I have room for.......I have an Elliptical (I'm bored with it but won't give it up), fitness ball, I have an Urban Re-bounder (love it), I have the new Supreme Pilates with the springs instead of pulleys, I have a slant weight bench and 5s, 8s, 10s and 15s dumbbells....since the construction began last month, everything is kind of packed away/hidden...I guess it's time to own up to what I've spent and start USING THE EQUIPMENT....we won't even talk about the gym membership I get for $3.00 a week right in my office complex....

(I'm feeling guilty and ashamed of my current laziness)

If I make a plan and don't stick to it, I hope someone would point out that I NEED to exercise and get back into my real clothes and stop wasting my time and $$....

Beginning Sept 27...for 21 days I will:

do 5 mins of rebounding or cardio /5 mins of wts. for the first week, then increase the time working my way up to 20 & 20....by the end of the challenge. and CARLA will coach me......(please)

(once the construction is completed, I can move my elliptical to a better space by the TV in the bedroom, reading about it makes me want to do it)....or go take a break at work and run to the gym, instead of sitting on my buttisimo whining about it.....

redballoon
09-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Ok, starting out on Day 5. Got to leave before dawn. Wish me luck for this coming week. It's going to be hard with or without a challenge here.... :stress:

marbleflys -- Welcome! :wave: Good luck on your challenge!! Who is CARLA by the way, not OUR carla, is it?

Gotta fly here. Will write to you all later. In the meantime, keep the faith...in YOU!!

marbleflys
09-26-2005, 04:33 PM
Your Carla49 is MY Carla too.....(we are sisters who got separated at birth, like those cell phones on the commercial)

carla49
09-26-2005, 04:54 PM
Yes, Marble, I will coach you. Glad you're not starting until tomorrow - that will give me time to have my whip tuned up. :coach: We don't stand for laggards around here. Hup, two three, four....

Yes, Red, the "Carla" Marble is talking about is me. We know each other from another thread, where we've shared some quite satisfying vitriol about idiot men in our past, along with an irreverent attitude. I thought she'd fit right in here with he likes of you and Mez and Curly and... The list goes on and on.

Today has proved to be one of those days where I should have stood in bed (as the expression goes). It all started well enough, although the cats whining for lunch 45 minutes after breakfast is getting a little old. A fun lunch with a friend I haven't seen lately, where I ate fish and chips (yummy) and she didn't notice the 15 lbs I've lost. Sniff. Then the annoyances started. Very petty annoyances, but still... I went to a grocery store for 2 loaves of bread on special. Then I noticed Metamucil (fiber, you know) was on sale, and for some reason the twice as big container was on for the same price as the smaller one. Now greed and trying to get away with something are never good things, and this was confirmed at the cash. I didn't notice the cashier was a trainee... The bread was fine, but the Met. rang in at the old price, twice what I intended to pay. So I pointed it out, at which point it got ridiculous. Someone went to look on the shelf to check the price (20 yards away) and didn't come back. So after about 15 minutes I tried to buy just the bread, but the cashier couldn't do an override. Then the wandering price checker came back and announced the problem was that the price I had quoted was for the 72 dose size, which is what she still had in her hand. It seemed I had won, and they were about to give in, but then the supervisor couldn't do an override. By this time I had been waiting for about 20 minutes (counting the extra 5 minutes spent waiting while the guy ahead of me's grapefruit seemed to present an almost insurmountable problem). So, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, I stormed out in high dudgeon, and walked breadless out into a torrential downpour. I went to another store with competent staff, started to calm down, and went to yet another store to make a return. Feeling much better, I decided to head home. So I checked behind me, and backed out of the parking spot. As I was changing gears about to move forward there was a mighty CRUNCH, and I realized some idiot had backed out of another spot right into me. Very little damage, but the pure joy of standing in the pouring rain taking her info while the rain washed the words away as fast as I wrote them was almost more than I could bear. Finally, home safely to two apparently starving cats. The telemarketer who called as I walked in really didn't know what hit her, poor thing. By the accent the call probably originated in a call centre in New Delhi or somewhere. She won't be calling again.

I do realize this blow-by-blow narration of my perfectly dull day is NOT on topic for the thread, but I'm trying to deflect attention from the fact that I ate fries at lunch. :rofl: Day 5 progressing nicely.

curlylocks
09-26-2005, 07:26 PM
did double my workout for a total of 1 hr!!

Carla: idiot men ... how did i miss that one.. geez i have enuff material from my xBF to fill up at least 3o pages in the thread! :lol:

ive been thinking about my next challenge and it is gonna be a tuff one! since the water and working out everyday has become a routine thing... i thinki need a new challenge!!

so 6 more days ....

vanessa6295
09-26-2005, 07:41 PM
Hey day one of my new challenge done here, i stayed within my points and exercised on my gazelle for 40 mins. Another thing that i am going to do for this challenge is drink 6-8 glasses of water a day and keep a food journal everyday.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar-blue2/fireworks01/lb/175/135/154.5/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

carla49
09-26-2005, 09:15 PM
Hey Vanessa, I'm thinking of getting a Gazelle. Do you like it? have you been using it for long? Is it really possible to fold it up and slide it under the bed??

carla49
09-26-2005, 09:18 PM
Curly, what does Bama stand for under your avatar? Did you know your b.day is the day after mine? I notice you've been too coy to admit to the year, but from your pictures you're a more recent model than me.

mezmerize
09-26-2005, 10:25 PM
marbleflys - I stand corrected! Bubba not Baba We just purchase a Slant Board for me and Olympic weight bench and weights (300lbs) for my son and husband. Plus a set of 3,5 and 10 lbs weight for me. When I seen the Elliptical (at that price) I had to get it from what I've read on here about the workout they give. I also have the Pilates Vidos and bands and toning tubes (not sure what they are called again) and a few other fitness gagets. Your writing about yours made me think geez I really need to use those other things also. I was getting bored with the WATP, The 10 Minute Solution and other videos I think I'm going to keep mixing things up so I don't get bored with my workouts. Easy to do since I still don't care to do them. It has been better since my sisters and I workout together and now we'll be taking turns at each other homes Since she has a treadmill. Try not to feel guilty and ashamed your not being lazy you just need to spice things up again! I know for me doing these challenges keep me on my toes. Sorry so long! Your on the right track your challenge sound great!

friendsforfitness - Your son is such a CUTIE PIE!!!

curlylocks - "the water and working out everyday has become a routine thing..." Standing and clapping what is just wonderful I can't wait til I can say the same for my challenges. BRAVO!!! Yea I check out wal-mart they maybe getting rid of the old models. I figure since this didn't break the bank I can still save for the other one I had my eye on and sell this at a rummage next year.

carla49 - Can't stop staring at the word fries :eek: it's been so so long! :)

Apple Blossom - They grow so fast my baby is now 15 years old he'll be 16 next month... going to go give him a BIG HUG now! LOL

FishWoman - :cb: On doing 6 pushups!! They have never been my strong point.

Day 1 of challenge complete. Lifted and worked sholders/tricepts/bicepts/back . I also worked my abs, walked and did the Elliptical. I stayed in my WW points and all logged in. WHEW Oh yea talked to myself in the mirror LOL

Sweetloml
09-27-2005, 12:00 AM
Completed day 3:

1 hour on the Elliptical
100 sit-up ( hoping to make my love handles smaller - lol their bigger than my boobs) :p :crazy:
8 - 8 oz water

Ok off to bed -night all

curlylocks
09-27-2005, 06:36 AM
Carla: I am 44 yrs old, the Bama? lol The guy that I have been dating is from Alabama.. . when we met he lived in virginia.. but he took a job in Alabama .......... so i wanna be in alabama one day ! @ 3 days before Katrina he went to work for the army corps of engineers... so i havent seen him in over a month :(

redballoon
09-27-2005, 06:59 AM
I will soon be calling Day 5 a wrap. It wasn't easy...well, there was lots of stress...but somehow, I'm not reaching for sugar and thinking, oh, what the heck. I may still be overeating, but not that much. I have a bad cold now and this is the start of an extremely busy week. I am in danger of stressing out but am trying hard to keep my cool...steady...steady....

Had a lesson in not panicking tonight but I was sick....thought I'd lost my wallet. Looked all over, called around...walked back to the station...thinking..oh, please, oh please, let me find it...I did a good deed today and saved a cricket in the convenience store...ok, I'm weird....well, then I thought about that convenience store and that maybe I'd dropped the wallet there...so I found the number on the Internet where they have all the thousands of stores listed..this one is about an hour and a half from my place. I called, sure enough they had it!! Happy Days!!! :spin: :spin: The cricket helped after all!! :rofl:

Ok, guys, please realize, I have a fever I think....need sleep...must be up again before 4 a.m. tomorrow. Wish me well.. :wave:

Chaps
09-27-2005, 07:04 AM
Holy mole', it's been the busiest week for me - last minute gigs, long planned gigs, auditions, high holy day rehearsals, singing the national anthem at a karate tournament, a new church singing gig - and to top it all off, I started a new temp job on monday. I'm thrilled to be busy, but the idea of sitting down at the computer on some of these days was just too much.

BUT - I have been successful with a new challenge - no chocolate. I have complete 2 days. Now, the thing about me and chocolate - I used to be a total fiend about it. But since I have changed my eating habits completely, I end up not eating much of it, and I don't even realize it or miss it. Part way through my last challenge, I realized I hadn't had chocolate for 6 days. However, when I get a craving for it, I would almost kill for it. So this challenge may be easy for most of the time, but then the couple days the yearn will hit, that will be tough. Especially because this temp job has free food in the kitchen, most church gigs offer cookies at coffee hour, the temple rehearsals have cookies during the break. If anyone ever wonders why opera singers are fat, this is the reason!!

Best wishes for everyone today!

Shad
09-27-2005, 07:33 AM
Day 5 done and gone.

Food pretty good. Well within range
Exercise - 40+ mins in the gym on weights and resistance.
Water - could have been better but hey it was better than this time last week.

Red, so sorry you have had a rotten day. Thank heavens for the wallet being safely watched over by the cricket. Bless the critturs (well some of them anyway)

It's late, I too have a 4.ooam start. Last day of gym for the week tomorrow - yeah, yeah, yeah - Thursday and Friday, I can rest from my great labours.

redballoon
09-27-2005, 07:39 AM
Ok, I'll try to catch up now. If I wait till tomorrow there may just be too much. :p Also...there's so much interesting stuff going on!

Sweet -- Congratulations on getting through Day 3! :cp: You really hit that eliiptical, don't you? Keep it going!

mez -- I liked the Bubba quote. So sweet. Glad you were able to get a cheap elliptical. I hear you on the getting bored with the workout. Heh, stay away from those fries! Think trans-fat. Gross stuff! :barf: carla, stop with the food porn!! mez, I like you talking to yourself in the mirror. That's the girl. I want you past this block with the 200 mark. Just BREAK ON THROUGH! Go listen to the Doors song of the same name, which is, by the way, on the Forest Gump soundtrack! I can send you the file if you have itunes.

....We chased our pleasures here
Dug our treasures there
But can you still recall
The time we cried
Break on through to the other side....

....Made the scene
Week to week
Day to day
Hour to hour
The gate is straight
Deep and wide
Break on through to the other side...

vanessa -- Allright! Back up and kicking A! Good for you! And adding water and a food journal. You rock! :strong:

curly -- hmmm...seems carla has us pegged, eh? Well, the idiot men have been many...but I'm still hooked...

Good going on the challenge! Day 15 notched! Yowzah! :spin:

carla -- Glad to hear you were able to stay focused on your challenge despite all that. Wow! Poor you. And I for one certainly don't mind the blow by blow of the dull day...it makes me feel not so alone! :lol: And...I'm just going to ignore those fries...

As for the idiot men, yes, I said to curly, there have been more than what should rightly be considered my share. I have a way for finding 'em...must be something, probably the idiot part, that speaks to me! :lol3:

marble -- Okay, any friend of carla's is a friend of mine...I think...cell phones separated at birth?!?! sorry, don't have that here...and I thought Japanese commercials were weird...but whatever...I understand... :rofl: Anyhow, welcome aboard! Heh, I know Maine coons but is the Akita a dog or a cat? I know the dog breed from here. Waiting for the pics!

Apple -- uh-oh, more food porn..I think...actually I have no idea what Mojitos are but they sound yummy! Heh, I hear you on the comparing yourself to others. You really got to stop that...I know it's hard but try to think of all the things you are doing and experiencing with the kids....could you get a sitter in long enough to run?..maybe a freebie...artistic urges..hmmm.. maybe just a bit...try to think of just doing a wee little bit of something you love, it can really help. The house-cleaning part I think you can just forget about. There's really NO need to bother with that. I certainly don't...right, carla?! :lol:

Oh, and Zack is beautiful! Sorry to hear about Peter. One of mine died this spring. I love what your daughter says about him...so sweet, so touching :^:

Fish -- Yo! Great going on the pushups. :bravo: Love your dog!! They are so pretty. Is the smaller one still a pup?

friends -- Yes, Gage is a cutie. It's hard to see but he kind of looks like mez's grandson, that cute little bean under her name. I wasn't sure if that was your baby picture or not...well, as it turns out it isn't but it IS! :lol:

Chaps -- Good to see you! I was wondering where you were. Wow, singing the national anthem. Now that must be tough! Glad to hear you're busy. I know it's hectic but....better than twiddling your thumbs wondering where all the work has gone...like I've been doing...Chocolate sounds like a toughie. I am like you. Don't usually eat it but when I want it I want it, if I'm eating any sugar at all. Staying off sugar totally and I can do it....Going moderate is a killer for me. Good luck! :flow1:

Shad -- Just caught your post! Thanks for the sweet words. Actually, because the wallet was found the day turned out great! I was whooping with joy and relief! :spin: But, yeah, it looked bad there for a while. The cricket pulled through for me...the Japanese say that when you save someone's life, including an animal's they are indebted to you for ever...now, that little cricket was weird, I mean, I've never seen a cricket in a convenience store before...but..heh, I rescue worms drying in the sun on the sidewalk and turn over cicadas struggling helplessly on their backs.... if you're a critter in need..Red is here!!! :sunny:

friendsforfitness
09-27-2005, 08:41 AM
Yep! That's day seven and I'm finding myself thinking more and more about this challenge which means I think more and more about my program whoooo-hoooo!!

Mez & Red-Thank you for the compliments on Gage. When I have more time I will post a better pic that isn't so far away.

I did ok on SBD yesterday for my first day. I didn't eat anything prohibited, but I think I ate more than i should have of the allowed foods. I was really craving sugar badly. To make things worse TOM visited my first day of dieting too. I was cranky to say the least. LOL!

Have a fun day,
Lisa

mezmerize
09-27-2005, 09:45 AM
Sweetloml - 1 hour on the Elliptical !!! I so looking forward til I can do that!! Do you go 1 hour straight? I'm ony up to 20 minute but that is an all day thing of hopping on/off. I'm sure feeling the burn form it!

curlylocks - LOVE your Bama nickname very cute how it came to be!

redballoon - I'm so happy you found your wallet! That cricket was very lucky you seen him/her! Just think he/she will be able to tell his grandkids how he was saved by a very sweet human! That is the story I tell my kids when they wanted to squash bugs with friends. I told them they had families also. Made them think! I also think it teaches children compassion. They did see me swat a mosquito of course they asked. So we went into the illness thing. Geez kids sure can keep a person on their toes.

Good deeds don't get overlooked just at times it take awhile for it to catch up with you. Just think if EVERYONE tried to do a good deed whenever possible how wonderful this earth would be. Keep up the good deeds your making this a better place for all man, beast and insects!!

I have the song you mentioned! That was so sweet even brought tears to my eyes! I'll listen to it and I'll beat whatever head game my mind is playing! Thanks so so much!!!

Chaps - I bet your having a time sitting at the computer with all that is on your plate right now! I'm happy to hear work is going well and your chocolate craving are going as well!

Shad - Congrats on day five.

friendsforfitness - These challenges do make you think about what you want to achieve each day! I love them! Aww that stinks TOM and the cravings. I know you can do it! There are lots of SBD P1 ( or whatever Phase your doing) On 3fc's some tastes so good you'd think your cheating!

FishWoman
09-27-2005, 09:54 AM
Hooray for me! I did another six push-ups this morning. Y'all know I am only doing them for the kind words I get from this forum ;)

Redballoon - the smaller dog is still a puppy (8 months old on saturday) but she will never get as big as the male older dog.

You all are doing so great on your challenges! maybe by the next challenge I will be ready to try something tough like giving up chocolate! It's funny, i love chocolate, but i don't eat it every day, but if i were to say - i won't eat choc. for 21 days, i would be craving it every second!

marbleflys
09-27-2005, 10:53 AM
Wow, lots of *action* on this thread, that Carla really knows how to pick an exciting bunch!!! Thanks so much for the warm welcome and support....I feel better already and am ready to jump back in before I do damage.

Oh Carla, I'm sorry for the "bad karma" day....yes, those cats just LIVE TO EAT...I have spoiled mine with freshly shaved purdue turkey breast....they are now ADDICTS

OK I did Day ONE of my first 21 Day Red Balloon Challenge!!!! RB, you are also on my kitchen calendar where I keep track...I did 5 mins. of urban rebounding and 5 mins. of weight work, step-ups w/ 8 lb. dumbbells on my waist,(a la FIRM style) 2 sets. lat. pulldowns and Billy Blanks punches with 5 lb. wts. to firm that bra-overhang spot. The time went by very quickly, so it wasn't a big deal. I am actually looking forward to some small accomplishments like finishing a challenge!

(I also vaccuumed the rugs and walked my 92 lb. Akita. Yes, he's a Japanese long-haired dog, but he's not overly aggresive, he gets along with the cats)...The cats are HUGE, Slim weighs in at 22 lbs and seems to be the size of an untrimmed filet of beef....Wylie-Coyote is 16 lbs. looks very *thin* because he's so long. They both have 17 inch tails and my house can be called "The house of Hair"!!!

BBL...work calls me...

Hi to everyone else, as I acclimate, I'll answer you personally, feel free to tell me if I forgot something important.

Chaps
09-27-2005, 11:14 AM
FishWoman - You are SO right. As soon as I tell myself I can't have chocolate, I think about it more than ever. I think I was this way in high school with reading. I would read any and everything, but as soon as I was assigned to read for class, I couldn't pick the book up. Perhaps this is a behavior I can address.

Redballoon - Love the Doors quote! Now I can have that in my head for a while as I crunch numbers on spread sheets!

marbleflys
09-27-2005, 12:44 PM
visions of chocolate and french fries are dancing in my head..........

FishWoman
09-27-2005, 12:55 PM
Marbleflys - what is "urban rebounding"?

marbleflys
09-27-2005, 12:59 PM
Hi fish:

It is a mini-trampolene with heavy-duty springs and mine has a stablizer bar (because I'm a clutz and could fall off). I can do high-energy aerobic work and get my HR up to the *sweaty-zone* without pain in my knees or back at my advanced age of 48. I mix it with wt. sets like interval training.

Apple Blossom
09-27-2005, 02:58 PM
Day 18 done - no beer :hat: I STILL haven't inspired myself to start up with the stepping video/situps. I have to!!!! Exercise is SOOO important if I plan on losing weight. OK, tonight, I will do it!!!

vanessa6295
09-27-2005, 05:19 PM
Hey Carla, I've had my gazelle a few months now but only really started using it everyday when i started mt last 21 day challenge. I love it, its really easy to do and its fun. I put mine in front of the t.v and do it while im watching a show i like.Yes it is possible to for it to fold up and slide under a bed, usually i just fold mine and stand it up against the wall lol.

Shad
09-27-2005, 05:38 PM
Yea, yea, yea, yea - the hard gym exercise is over until Saturday morning when it all starts again.

Today I worked out on the stationary bike 5 mins, the elliptical cross country 15 mins, the stepper 15 mins as well. By that time the legs were gone and the brain in autopilot. So here I am bright and early back in the office. My one treat for the week was a bacon and egg muffin, no sauce, no salt no oil - hold everything else. The egg was just right not exactly runny but soft. Yummy. Now its coffee time and into the work on my desk. Day 6 has begun

vanessa6295
09-27-2005, 07:38 PM
Day 2 done!!, exercised 35 mins today, stayed within my points, drank lots of water, and wrote down everything in my food journal. Keep up the great work everyone!! :):)

curlylocks
09-27-2005, 08:07 PM
1 hr of circuit training for day 16!

SillyFluff
09-27-2005, 08:29 PM
Well this morning we walked 1.6 miles.

Gonna go for another walk this evening. Been a busy day. School, tryin to clean house...UGH i need a job BAD

carla49
09-27-2005, 11:49 PM
Day 6 successfully completed. No post until tomorrow - it's time for bed. (This whole work thing is such a drag. And I'm getting so spoiled...)

Sweetloml
09-28-2005, 12:17 AM
Done with day4:

1 hour Elliptical
100 sit ups
30 min upper body weights
4 - 8oz - need to up it a little

Elliptical will get easier after a while, toke me while before I could do it that long. What helped me was this girl that use to be on it for 1-2 hours and she be going so fast sweat would be rolling off her. I use to wish I could do it and would make myself work-out next to her for the extra drive I needed. Other than that I always think about the fact that my husband id 6'8" and weight only 185lb and that really gets me pushing harder.

Ok - so I am little competitive :p and I enjoy the feeling after a great workout.

Ok - have to head out waiting on son to sleep - his pet mouse just died :mouse: ( just found it in the middle of this edit) and I need to figure out what I am going to do and tell my 5 year old tomorrow. The truth I know but need to figure out the best way to tell him :cry: :sorry: Poor Dora

Night all

Chaps
09-28-2005, 07:07 AM
Yesterday was Day 3 for no chocolate. I feel like i can't post until the next day, because I am definitely the kind of person who loses my resolve at night. But I don't keep any bad stuff in the house, so I guess I'm good.

Yesterday I went to donate blood and was not allowed because my iron count was too low to spare a pint. Not deficient, but just a little low. I realized that with the way I eat now, I don't eat much meat, especially red meat. I don't particularly want to start adding it, either. Does anyone have any recommendations for adding iron? I would prefer to get it naturally, rather than a supplement. I will look online of course, but if anyone has suggestions of low calories ways to get extra iron, I will be most appreciative.

Have a great day everyone!

redballoon
09-28-2005, 07:13 AM
Okay, closing out Day 6 here. What a busy day. I was all over the place, including back out in the boonies to get my wallet. A clerk at the store had found it out in the parking lot. I am so lucky she found it and that I happened to call that store and ask if anyone had found it. I would have lost my entire credit rating without it....whew!! that was a close one!

So, the challenge was tough today, because I was out and about and not able to really make any food. I was looking to eat and the only things I could eat in the stores (cause I'm a vegetarian) were rice balls. But they did the trick till I got home and made something. On to Day 7!!

Sweet -- Ooh, sorry about little Dora. I guess, "Dora has gone to mouse heaven" would be good, no? Hope your boy takes it well. Pets are the best way to learn about death. I had so many little critters when I was growing up and I soon learned to just roll with the punches so to speak. I think that's part of the reason I can move on and help other animals after a loved one dies, unlike some people who just make it their last cat, last dog and so.

Good going on the exercise! Wow! Yeah, not much water there..aren't you sweating a ton doing the elliptical? You need to replenish that and more! All this talk of exercise, I really want to do more now, but the work is just keeping me tied to the table, desk, floor, computer...ugh!

carla -- Congrats on Day 6 done! :cp: What work is a drag? Translating? And why/how are you getting spoiled? Tell us more!

Silly -- Hurrah for Day 11 in the bag! :bravo: Hope you get a job soon! :yes:

curly -- Rockin'! :dancer:

vanessa -- moving into orbit now, fresh off the launch pad of her NEXT challenge! :spin: Keep it going!

Shad -- Okay, taking a slight breather, just downing the intensity so she can rev up like mad over the weekend! Good going on five notched! Good luck! :goodluck:

Apple -- That is amazing! 18 days without beer! Wow! :woo:

marble -- Hip hip hooray!!....:cb: marble is on the launching pad! Good luck and I don't expect you to come down for another 20 days! Good luck!! :sunny: You got those awful visions out of yer head yet?!?! :mad: Well, I guess visions are better than the real thing..in your mouth!

urban rebounding?!?! :?: I thought that was something city chicks did between boyfriends.....like, with the hunk....uh, what was your name again?...they dragged home from the bar... :dunno:

Chaps -- So, what day are you on? Don't think about chocolate! You are no longer a chocolate eater! You abhor the stuff...self-enforced denial is OK! :crazy: Glad you liked the Doors lyrics. :)

Oops, just saw your post. So I guess you're on Day 4 or almost through it. Yes, nighttime is tough. For me it's tough because there is always junk a few steps from my door with the 24-hour convenience stores. I don't know about the iron, but it really has little to do with meat. My mother was always deficient in it and she ate a lot of meat. I eat none and my iron is fine. I would read up on other reasons for a deficiency. I think it often has to do more with your eating something that is blocking the absorption of iron rather than your not getting enough. Hmm....I will try to read up on it too.

FishWoman -- Ok, sweet words 'R' us!! You are going strong on your pushups! And remember folks, these ain't girlie pushups. Theze are da real thing! Yowzah! :flow1:

mez -- Wow, so glad you like the Doors song. Hope those were happy tears it brought to your eyes! Yes, listen to that song over and over and jive to that refrain! It'll give you courage to blast through to the other side! Thanks for the words on my insect-saving ways. Today it was a dragonfly! So, what day are you on, mez!? Hope you're moving right along.... :)

friends -- A whole week down! :cp: Hurrah! Looking forward to the picture of your cutie! SBD is hard for sugar craving. Are you starting with Phase 1 or skipping to the second part? Part 1 is really hard. Good luck!

:df:

SillyFluff
09-28-2005, 08:15 AM
Just got back from our morning walk. Woulda walked more but kids were at the bus stop LOL *long story* So anyho today we walked 2.6 miles.

curlylocks
09-28-2005, 08:58 AM
you are doing great Silly!!!

mezmerize
09-28-2005, 10:00 AM
Apple Blossom - Great attitude!

vanessa6295 I was looking at a gazelle at Sears when we picked up my son bench and weights. I wanted to hop on but they had it wired. I would really like to give a try and see how it felt with my bad knees. Ive heard its not hard on them but it looks like your legs stay stiff while you are doing it. So that brings to mind my bad knees.

Shad Sounds like you had a good workout.

carla49 Enjoy being spoiled it doesnt last long. (words of my older sister before the birth of my younger sister)

Sweetloml Sorry to hear about your sons mouse.

Chaps Beans have iron you might want to try and more and its also great for fiber.

Red Have you called your credit card # just to check if any were used? I would do this for awhile. (you know just in case) Id also keep an eye on my credit reports. See if there is any new accounts opened. You know the whole ID Theft market. I dont mean to make you worry just want to cover all the bases. Im glad you found those rice balls and got to day 7! BRAVO!

As for me! Im back on Day 1!!! I forgot to log my food!! I know what I ate and how many points. I forgot to log it in!!! I woke at 2 a.m. almost did but I was to lazy/warm & cozy to move. The thing is I dont regret it! Im actually HAPPY about it! (Im hoping I will get sick of starting over and do it!) I knew logging my food would be a big issue since I like to add my points on my bracelet or in my head. So here I go again.

Day 1 - Same challenge.
2. Stay in my WW Points/log food in WW Pure Points Software
3. Exercise at least 10 minutes a day.
4. Tell myself while looking in the mirror each moring that I CAN do this!! And something good about myself!

FishWoman
09-28-2005, 10:36 AM
I did 8 real push-ups in a row :strong: (and next week i am planning to roll weight-lifting into my workouts).

Chaps - the red cross wouldn't let me give blood either. i get enough iron (i take a daily multi-vitamin that includes iron) but according to them i have "deficient veins" that aren't big enough for them to pull blood from. Ugh, whatever. i was trying to help. :mad: I think that spinach has iron? Not 100% sure though.

I think that once or twice when i was single I did redballoon's version of urban rebounding :D

Everyone have a great day!

friendsforfitness
09-28-2005, 11:43 AM
Day 8 done! Today my goals are:
1/ Drink 4 glasses of water
2/ Go for a walk with Gage.
3/ journal my food.

Red- I am starting on Phase 1 and yes, it's tough... to say the least. LOL!

mezmerize
09-28-2005, 12:07 PM
friendsforfitness - I did SBD Phase 1 along with my WW Pure Points. I can honestly say the days passed I wasn't the least bit hungry! (I had to force myself to eat!) I lost weight! I did have a few drawbacks so presure from my family (husband) maded me decided to quit after P1 and the start of P2. One was headaches the other was I got dizzy and blacked out once for a few seconds. I was working out real hard so that might have added to it. I have been thinking of going back to P1 just to get past this 200 mark. Told my husband that lastnight. He didn't say much besides becareful.

I would like everyone view on the scale question. I'm thinking of not weighting myself til the end of my challenge. I have seen some post here that state if you weight yourself you can tell when you have gained and keep on top of it. Then others who say it's not the scale are no good! I can't judge size my small pants are all too small to get into. I gave away all the next size up. I've tired to measure but come out with different measurements. UGH!! I guess my main worry is the what if's - Like if I gain alot at the end of 21 days and had I weight I could of stopped it!

marbleflys
09-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Hi Everyone! Paging Coach-Carla: (she sleeps to late, I'm jealous).....I completed day #2 of what I call "My Red-Balloon Challenge"...Did 12 mins of rebounding cardio and wts. Do I get extra points for going over my 10 min. commitment? I also shampooed carpeting last night and washed clothes and cleaned the inside of the microwave and catbox....This was after I worked until 7PM

I need a house-boy!

RB, I was thinking I would find the courage to step on the scale after I complete my challenge too....I get too obsessed with it.

Chaps, I believe that good vegetable sources of iron are in broccoli and spinach (remember Pop-eye?) Also Lentils...for great lental soup. but you still need some magnesium consumed to make it absorb better.

BBL...work is kicking my butt!

Shad
09-28-2005, 03:56 PM
Morning all,

Too tired to post yesterday for day 6. I did all the things I was supposed to do. So I'm calling it a good day. Actually I did better than I normally do as far as the food goes because I had salads for lunch and dinner was a scrummy home grown salad with a salmon fillet. The fillet had the skin on - yummy if bbq'ed or char grilled as I did.

Red - so glad the wallet came back safe and sound. Such a horrible feeling. Although Mez might have a good idea there about checking the credit for a while.

Sweet - so sorry about the mouse although they don't have a long life span. My thoughts would have been to tell the child that mice don't have a long life like us, and he/ she hung around as long as they could because they loved living with her/ him.

Mez - as for the scale question. It can be good or really bad jumping on those scales everyday depending on what shows. If you list the weights for a month you will see a pattern emerge about the times you gain and the times you lose. I used to say that how the clothes fit is a good indication, but with todays clothes where the sizes are all over the shop that is had to tell as well. I use a combination of all three. There is a bit of old stuff in my wardrobe that I can't (won't) throw out. They are a good indication of how I am going. Also I measure once a month. I have two years of measurements on an Excel spreadsheet and charts that show my progress and/or lack of it. With measurements, I have a range of places I measure, always with no clothes on (yeah horrible sight) and pull the tape measure tight. If there is up to half an inch movement either way then I tend to think I am still more or less the same since I probably don't get exactly the same place each time no matter how hard I try. I'm never going to be skinny but I am going down in small increments thanks to the gym and muscles. Sometimes the measurements go down in big jumps but I can't see the change on the scale. Muscle weighs in heavier than fat. Toning draws the muscles up tight and therefore I am smaller. Gotta love that tape measure. It keeps me sane when the scale won't. I'm all for banishing the scale to the bottom of the bathroom cupboard and only allowing it out once a month - that'll teach it for holding out on me!!!

Iron - who mentioned iron? If you are a vegetarian, then fresh fruit and veges daily will provide you with the iron. Lentils as well and eggs. The green leafy veges contain the most iron and I heard somewhere that eaten in conjunction with vitamin C rich foods the iron in green leafy veg can be extracted by the body more easily. Lean red meats and dark fish also contain iron. Don't know about chickens - they are so processed these days you wonder if there is anything good in them.

Okay - time to go back to my thread and see what is going on there. I'm at home for the morning doing a fasting sugar test at the local pathologists. Doc insists on it every six months - apparently we here in Australia have a type 2 diabetes epidemic and anyone whose family it has so far missed is one of the few modern day miracles. Doc is trying to prove I am not a miracle!!!! I'm trying to prove that I am.

redballoon
09-28-2005, 04:14 PM
Good morning. Thursday here. Another early one, will be early through Sunday. No time to catch up now but the catchup tonight will be even bigger. And I may have little time and lots of work to do even then....Got another big job out last night after getting in....when it rains, it pours. So, this is my Day 7. Why do the days go so slowly?!?!? :dunno: Ah, I did take one pause day early on because I was out drinking....that slowed it down by a day. Oh well, I guess this is a super-hard challenge and I am constantly thinking of all the things I can't have...if only because I'm trying to think of things I can have...well, wish me luck guys! :wave:

marbleflys
09-28-2005, 04:16 PM
Oops! Sorry, Mez, I confused you with another post about the scale....

rushingrushingrushing.........WHY? they don't pay me any more for hurrying....

vanessa6295
09-28-2005, 05:23 PM
Actually mezmerize, the gazelle is supposed to be good for people that have bad knees, bad backs etc..

vanessa6295
09-28-2005, 05:24 PM
Because its low impact

curlylocks
09-28-2005, 05:37 PM
oooo i saw a gazelle at walmart for under 100$ i want one!!!

Oh and day 17 completed... im at work till 8 pm, but i got up at 530 am this morning and did my walk/jog

vanessa6295
09-28-2005, 06:15 PM
I got mine second hand in excellent condition only used 3 times for $150. Its the gazelle edge, my friend has the gazelle elite, what one were you looking at curly?

vanessa6295
09-28-2005, 08:50 PM
Day 3 done here, stayed within my points, drank lots of water, kept a food log, and exercised for 40 mins. :):)

Sweetloml
09-29-2005, 12:45 AM
Done with day5:

45 mins Elliptical
100 sit ups
7- 8oz - need to up it a little

Was a little tired when I started, but still did it ;) I should have not decide to clean most of the house today lol. Son is dong ok, was pretty upset about mouse at first but they forget fast.

Night all - sweet dreams

carla49
09-29-2005, 01:02 AM
Day 7 complete. A nice glass of wine might have been particularly welcome, but common sense prevailed. Contrary to what Marble thinks, I'm NOT lazing in bed til all hours, I've been up early and out to work. I've been spoiled by my long no-work period this summer, and if I had the $$$, I'd never work again.

I'll try to post more in the next few days. Right now I'm tired :yawn: and a little off kilter emotionally :( (for various reasons that would bore you all to tears, so no tedious details). But I'll be back. Meanwhile, :kickcan:

Shad
09-29-2005, 04:20 AM
Done with day 7

Food - well it was light due to the fact that I had to fast for a blood test. Dinner was a chicken thigh fillet and home grown salad.
Water - excellent. Now all I have to do is to eliminate it all before I go to bed.
Exercise - well it was my day off as is tomorrow.

A good day was had by me anyway. Tomorrow is end of month which equals weigh in and measure day and letting the masses know (to keep me honest)

curlylocks
09-29-2005, 06:46 AM
Walmart
Gazelle Edge=$94.96
Gazelle Freestyle=$187.97

Target
gazelle edge 99.99
gazelle power plus$ 299.99

Chaps
09-29-2005, 07:36 AM
So 4 full days down with no chocolate. The no chocolate thing was not tought, but I had to fight off other temptations at work. Rather than the usual free stuff, which is packaged (so you have the calorie count right there and you cannot pretend it's not), there was a basket full of muffins, croissants, and bagels. But I did not touch it! Then, at the end of several hours of grappling with a particularly gnarly spreadsheet, I thought, I will take myself out to dinner, I worked really hard today. But I didn't! I fought that urge off, too. I can't let myself get into that habit. So I felt pretty good about food in general yesterday.

Thanks to everyone for the information on iron. Y'know, one of the things I read said that when a woman is on her period, her iron may be depleted. I'm a little surprised that wasn't the first question from the woman at the blood bank, because I *was* on my period that day. But looking at my diet, I would not be wrong to add some iron-rich foods anyway, so it was still good to think about.

Best luck to everyone today!

mezmerize
09-29-2005, 09:36 AM
FishWoman Glad to see that the pushups are going well. Im on week 4 of lifting weights and I could not do ONE pushup before I started. Im doing girl ones. I should give the mens way a try.

marbleflys Sure you get extra points for going over a workout. That is my driving force behind me stating only 5 minutes. I know that Ill do way more than that but the mental game of only 5 minutes makes sure I workout everyday.

Shad Thanks so much for your view on scales. I tried to measure and kept coming up with different numbers it was driving me crazy and I thought I was doing it wrong! I got frustrated! Since Ive started lifting I have noticed Im a lot stronger. That was one of my main reasons to give up the scale for 21 days. Im such a scale addict jumping on everyday and I have 2 digitals. A Taylor that a piece fell out. (tiny piece of metal) So I bought a WW scale. The WW scale is always 2lbs less than the Taylor. So I will go back and forth between the 2 and weight at least 3 times! Just to make sure they are working??!! LOL that is so pitiful!! You are so right about clothing sizes I can go from a size 14 to18 depending on the brand. I believe Im going to revise my challenge and not weight myself. Thanks again Shad. I agree with you! You are a miracle!!!!

redballoon Im happy to hear your busy with work. Wishing you lots of luck with your challenge!

vanessa6295 Thanks for the info on gazelle it really helps to hear from people that have actually used them. Im not a big infommercial fan. The people are to getty.

curlylocks Congrats on day 17 they dont carry gazelles at my wal-mart.  Thanks for the price list. I havent checked Target!

Sweetloml Glad to hear your son handle the passing of his mouse well.

carla49 After a nice summer off so easy to be spoiled. Aww money so one doesnt have to work. *sigh* winning the lottery

Chaps - :cp: :dance: :cp: :dance: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: On not eating all that temping food. (made my mouth water thinking about!) Also many many more :bravo: on eating out!!! I'm SOOO PROUD OF YOU!!!

As for me I'm going to rethink my challenge! LOL what is that saying about women changing their mind? LOL
Shad you really got me thinking about the scale and I feel it's might be holding me back. I'm going to give some deep thought and be back to post my challenge.

friendsforfitness
09-29-2005, 10:29 AM
Mez- Thanks for the input on SBD, so far so good I'm down six pounds since Monday. I'm getting the headaches but I know they'll pass with time. I did notice a little bit of dizziness for the first time this morning, but I didn't really think anything of it since that symptom is common for me when TOM visits. Dh has been wonderful during this transition for me. He rubbed my back for about 30 minutes last night trying to make me feel better. Last night was the headache from He...double hockey sticks. LOL!

The sweet cravings are getting fewer and easier to deal with so that's a good thing at least! :)
Lisa

curlylocks
09-29-2005, 11:30 AM
MEZ: u can order them online and they will deliver to your house sometimes they even have deals on the shipping...

FishWoman
09-29-2005, 11:31 AM
I did my push-ups for today - 8 for day 8. Ooh, maybe i can do 21 by day 21? I am not so sure about that :D

Mezmerize - I can't keep my tuchus down when i do girl push-ups; and nobody wants my butt sticking way up in the air :lol: Seriously, i can keep a great form for regular push-ups (even if i can't do very many), so that is why i do those.

This is not related to the 21-day challenge, but maybe you all can help me out. I decided to not work out yesterday (other than my push-ups). I got caught up at work, and then did not get home until almost 9 p.m. Other than yesterday, i have done at least 30 minutes of something for the past 16 days. So I decided to just have a low-cal, healthy dinner (vegetable and egg-white scramble with 1/4 cup cheese). My total calories for the day were just under 1400. So, why do i feel like a horrible, lazy, cow for taking one day off? :?: I am seriously mentally figuring out ways to *punish* myself for not exercising yesterday. I know this is not a healthy attitude, but i am so angry at myself for taking what any normal person would call a *rest day.* Do any of you get mad at yourselves like this? what do you do to get over it?

Thanks!

SillyFluff
09-29-2005, 12:09 PM
We did at a 2 mile walk at 4am when he got home from work. Got a job so thats gonna be the only time I'm gonna get the walks in.... Oh well...every little bit counts.

marbleflys
09-29-2005, 01:38 PM
OK I did day #3 and I'm pleased about it.....(ahem, Coach-Carla how about a little pat on the back?)...I did 14 mins. total of wt. sets for legs, back and chest & some urban re-bounding cardio.....

and I just caught up with the posting about it....asking if it is like city-dating...SNORT!

no time today, I'm up to my eyeballs at work...BBL

mezmerize
09-29-2005, 01:52 PM
friendsforfitness Your husband is so sweet! I believe my husband said something in the lines of this did you take aspirin? LOL Be aware of the dizziness and had I stayed on P2 longer I believe those would have passed. Congrats on the 6 lbs down!!! The weight loss in Ph1 sure make a person want to stay there but you need carbs so try not to be to tempted.

curlylocks GREAT IDEAL!!! Going surfing.

FishWoman LOL @ tushy in the air. Not sure if you have a DH OR DB but Im sure he wouldnt mind that one bit! LOL Sorry for being naughty. Now for your guilt I know that it is easier said than done but forgive yourself and look at what YOU DID DO!! Choosing to eat a great low cal meal and the pushups! (watch out going below 1400 cals I read a post that it can be worst then going over. )Many Many here beat themselves up for what they didnt do or not doing enough EVERYDAY well we are human and have all days where we dont live up to our own standards. Work, Family, and such set us off course. The bad thing is many quit because of it. Now you go look in that mirror and say I know I think things got in the way yesterday but I darn Proud of myself for eating well and for my pushups! Today is a new day and I'm going to do the best I can!!

redballoon
09-29-2005, 03:49 PM
Good morning, everyone. I' m afraid I have no time to post again and had none yesterday except an all-about-me little post. Again for now at least. I'm starting out on my Day 8 here. I managed to get through yet another day without sugar or white flour or nuts or what was the other thing I was giving up.....oh, yeah, cheese..... I just drummed up even more work for myself, articles (short) for both a U.K. mag and a U.S. one, both on the race Sunday and another preview, so three in all AND I got them to pay the bank fees, which are ridiculous here. Hurrah for me. I said, "I insist on these being covered..." and they gave me the nod....

You seem to all be doing well. But a word to the strugglers and other points of consternation...

Fish --Don't get down on yourself for not working out. Learn to allow a pause and regroup for the onslaught later. It is not healthy to be go, go, go all the time. You have to have times of quiet. Learn to enforce these upon yourself as strictly as you would the exercise. Another way of looking at it is, heh, it's no big deal! So what, you took a day off. Enjoy it. What's the sense of taking it off if you don't enjoy it?!?! Remember, there are all forms of "beating yourself up." Don't think because this is disguised in the form of "not doing something good" that it's any less another way of you abusing yourself, getting down on yourself, in other words, not being kind to yourself, which you just MUST be!!

mez -- Thanks. This kind of work is good, though tough as anything because I have to get the story and then write it. And you never know if you're going to get it, but you gotta do lots of thinking and running around (and chasing horses) to get it! Whew! Heh, me too, put the damn scale in the closet. At times like this, it doesn't help us at all! Stop measuring your efforts by some piece of metal, some arbitrary numbers that mean next to nothing on the short term (which is all you see unless you're charting them).

Chaps -- Haven't looked up the iron thing myself. Makes sense that if you have your period, your iron would be lower. I think most people don't think past their noses, if that far. They may not know or they may just not care to tell you why you iron could be deficient. Or they say you have to speak with a doctor, thus allowing themselves to feign responsibility when it's actually usually nothing more than justifying their own laziness. I say, always do your own thinking as well as get other opinions!

carla -- get a grip! Come on, woman! You have done tough stuff before and you can do it now. You are bigger than anything life can throw you! Power to you! :yes: And, nothing you say bores me.

curlylocks
09-29-2005, 04:42 PM
fish woman: ive actually read that u should take a pause in your workout so that your body can adjust to the changes... i usially alternate circuit training and walking ...tho most days i do both.

Shad
09-29-2005, 05:40 PM
Morning of Day 8, getting there, getting there...............

I weighed and measured before coming to work this morning. I'm down in just about all areas although the weight may have something to do with the fasting yesterday for that test. Anyway doesn't matter, I'll take it anyway it comes. I can do this.

Fishy - don't know how old you are or what weight you are at, but I (at 56) cannot do 7 days of exercise in a week. Therefore I get it all done in 5 days. 2 x 45 minute sessions on cardio, 3 x 40 minutes sessions of weights and resistance and 1 Body Balance class. Does that sound like 6? - well I do two together on a Saturday. There is a time when you simply have to have a rest period particularly if you are working as well and keeping the house. If you don't do it voluntarily, eventually the body will do it for you - like shin splints, sprains, torn muscles, overall lethargy etc etc. And then you lose more than just a day of exercise. So do as Red says - be kind to yourself.

Mez - so glad some of the words I wrote worked for you. Scales are evil metal monsters - they are male - they are contrary - they should be put away and only brought out on high days and holy days (and once a month to weigh one's self)

Gotta go, duty calls.

vanessa6295
09-29-2005, 08:20 PM
Day 4 done here!, gazelle for 30 mins, lifted some weights, stayed within my points, wrote in my food journal.

curlylocks
09-29-2005, 09:05 PM
45 min of circuit training...

carla49
09-29-2005, 09:27 PM
Marble, consider yourself patted on the back. Hot diggety, woman, we should all exercise like you do!

Red, am trying to get a grip - should be easier than it is as I come equipped with conveniently placed handles pretty much all over, however... :lol3: I just don't have enough energy to work and be "up" at the same time.
By the way, I get the no sugar or white flour, but cheese and nuts??? You must be one hungry vegetarian! (speaking of nuts... ) :rofl:

Fish, you silly bunny. Don't fall into the old all-or-nothing trap! In real life (as opposed to diet mode) no one except professional athletes and energizer bunnies exercise EVERY day. The only way to keep it up in the long haul is to be nice to yourself and not obsess.

Vanessa, it won't be long now before I'm gazelling away with the rest of the gang. I've got my fingers crossed that it won't end up gathering dust like so many of my gadgets.

Today is Day 8, still no booze or candy. I'm thinking I might also add a no-scale challenge, which would be tough for me. I'd have to change the naked post-pee morning routine...

Right now I seem to be able to maintain my rather fluffy figure as long as I stay away from wine and chocs. But I'm quickly realizing I'm not going to lose unless I cut out a few other recent transgressions. (I'll spare you the food porn. Suffice to say it wouldn't do me any harm to try one of those no white food diets for a while. I really don't want to weigh this much, even if it is better than this weight plus 15 lbs.

Sweetloml
09-30-2005, 12:55 AM
day 6 :

1 mile walk
25 min upper weights
100 sit ups
7- 8oz water

night all

Shad
09-30-2005, 04:19 AM
Day 8 DONE

Controlled the carbs
Controlled the portions
Could have done a bit better with the water
Exercise - still on day off, but went for a walk at lunch time, fast trot to and from the station as week - there's a couple of kilometres.

Monthly weigh in:
Measurements are as follows:
Weight 73 71.5 down 1.5k or 3lbs more or less
Upper Chest 36 36 same
Bust 40 40.5 Up 1/2 inch
Lower Chest 34 33 Down 1 inch
Waist 33 32 Down 1 inch
Upper Hip 38.25 38 Down 1/4 inch
Lower Hip 38.75 38.5 Down 1/4 inch
Top of Arm 12.25 12 Down 1/4 inch
Top of Leg 21.25 21 Down 1/4 inch

I'm really pleased to see the lower chest and waist measurement reducing. I've been putting a lot of effort into abs and crunches. Still not enough and those bl**dy boobs are GROWING!!! :faint:

Chaps
09-30-2005, 07:10 AM
Yesterday was day five for no choc-o-late. I was a little tempted at choir practice last night, but then I thought : 1)I'm not about to be forced into a pause day at 9pm, 2)I'm not doing a pause day this early in the challenge, and 3) not for some stupid EL Fudge cookies! If I have to take a day and eat chocolate, it's going to be something amazing like Godiva, or Lindt, or the like.

Redballoon - You are right about people not thinking past their own involvement, and basically LOOKING like they did the right thing. My sister is a nurse and she was so annoyed by this woman. She said everybody talks to the general public as if they are stupid (which is usually true, ha), and doesn't give them enough information (which is dangerous). I'm going to try to donate again this weekend and see if there's a difference.

Have a great day everybody!

redballoon
09-30-2005, 07:26 AM
Good evening, all! I am going to call it a wrap on Day 8! :cp: A big hand for me!! I can barely keep my eyes open and yet I have to be up at 3 tomorrow morning if I am going to be able to get to the station. I was going to just say, no, I can't get to the track that early...but then I thought of the extra money and decided to do it. If they're willing to pay me extra for being there, then I'm going to be there! Yes! Got those two stories written. No word from the Brits yet.. I was expecting a "What the h$ll is this? We can't use this??!" but nothing so maybe it went through....scary to be in such a widely read racing paper as the Racing Post! It goes to the punters! The other one I wrote for in the States, the Blood-Horse (I know, sounds like some S&M mag) was classy, for breeders and owners...well, if the bettors want to read about Japanese races, I'll give it to them...you bet!

Chaps, love that save on the chocolate! :cp: carla, no cheese or nuts is just to cut calories and force me to find/make better things that what I can find in the convini. Ok, guys, really sorry I can't talk to you all individually. I will be able to catch up soon! In the meantime, don't give up the fight! Ok!!?? :strong:

Later! :wave:

mezmerize
09-30-2005, 09:39 AM
Red Good for you on insisting bank fees be covered!! There is a say that no news is good news . Im sure they loved your work! I do log in my weight weekly in calendar but its nothing I NEED to do. Logging it in every 21 days would work. I also log in workouts/or lack of. I was just checking it out and noticed that I weighted 220 when I started my very 1st challenge. I stepped on the scale yesterday and weight in at 207 and this morning at 209. I wanted to see if in fact the numbers affect me and they do. I was good yesterday and see no reason for the gain! So enough of this!! Im going to put my NEW plan at the bottom of this post.

Shad LOL @ male and scales quote. Congrats on shrinking!!!

vanessa6295 Wow some great workouts!!

curlylocks Spooktacular Slim Down LOVE THAT!!

carla49 Congrats on Day 8 You know this is what I love about these challenges it helps us see what we can improve on.

Sweetloml I can feel those sit ups!!! My niece asked me to tell you that she has that care bear! LoL

Chaps Congrats on day 5. You are so right no way an EL Fudge can compare to Godiva, or Lindt.

Here's my new 21 day Challenge. (starting today 9/30)

2. Stay in my WW Points
3. Exercise at least 5 minutes a day.
4. Not weight my self until the end of 21 days.
5. Tell myself while looking in the mirror each moring that I CAN do this!! And something good about myself!
(I took off logging my food in WW software and replaced it with the scale) I think I'll have my hands full with not stepping on that scale!

Chaps
09-30-2005, 10:04 AM
Mez - I LOVE the part of your challenge where you look in the mirror and tell yourself that you can do this. I have found that something like that, or just repeating a goal over and over while on the treadmill or something, to be very effective. I think I may steal your idea - I have a goal to lose another 14 pounds by the end of december. I think I will try to look in the mirror each morning and say the goal aloud to myself.

Thanks!

FishWoman
09-30-2005, 10:27 AM
Scales are evil metal monsters - they are male - they are contrary - they should be put away and only brought out on high days and holy days (and once a month to weigh one's self)

Shad - so Monday you will be bringing out the scale? :) I am 35, 5'4", and 148 pounds. I actually don't do high intensity cardio every day. I try to switch it up a lot between running, the elliptical, yoga, long walks, and ballet. I try to get at least 30 minutes of activity daily.

Mez - i think the air is heavier today. except for my one day off, i have been exercising every day (including 50 minutes of elliptical yesterday) and keeping my calories between 1400 and 1700. Monday (and every other day this week) i was at 146. today the scale says i am 148. (and it isn't PMS bloat, either). DH has threatened to throw the scale away because it makes me feel bad. The numbers affect me very much.

Thank you all for the kind words. I am sure my husband appreciates them too, as he tells me the same things (but do i listen to him?) :o

Speaking of DH - it is his 36th birthday tomorrow! :hb: I will be spending most of the day at the gym, and then we are going to the Palm in D.C. for dinner. I am looking forward to the shrimp cocktail!

So, i am not quite halfway through my first 21-day chanllenge, but i think that starting Sunday I am going to start a second one; no alcohol for 21 days. This will conveniently fit between DH's birthday and our friends' wedding on the 28th.

friendsforfitness
09-30-2005, 10:58 AM
I can't believe how fast this challenge is going!! I am super busy today at work with it being month end and all so just had to do my check in and I am getting addicted to 3FC again which is a good thing!! I just wish I had more time to enjoy it. So, so, so, busy... Have a great Friday everyone!! Oh and I've lost another pound!! I don't have time to change my ticker, but I can't wait to!!! LOL!

marbleflys
09-30-2005, 11:01 AM
Day #4 for me! I feel a sense of accomplishment actually....I bounced on the rebounder (hey, it's actually tougher than it sounds), lifting my knees like drum majorette on home-made meth....my butt muscles need the work...all told I did 16 mins. of cardio/wt. sets...the cat was asleep on the rebounder when I left for work.

Mez, if you jump on the scale on day 21...so will I, I promise. I'm afraid of the discouragement I would feel if the number wasn't *right* in my head. Right now my state of the art Tanita which measures wt. in 10ths of a lb. and the body fat and the water content of my body too is sitting in the bathroom covered by a towel...when the cats step on it, it beeps and reminds me it's waiting patiently and has fresh batteries in it.....

I'm currently doing naked critique in front of the mirror....full frontal view to scrutinize my abdomen, then side view...I could swear there is less of me, but it's difficult to gage because I have to stay on the steroids another 6 days (poison ivy) and they can make you look "puffy"

OK Coach-Carla...it's my turn to pat you on the head!!! Way to go----on avoiding the evil temptations, I usually MUST have a glass or 2 (for the purpose of maintaining my sanity of course)....I'm not into nuts and cheese so much and since I started Meridia, chocolate cravings have disappeared....it's ice-cream I must ban from the house....Ben and Jerry used to climb into bed with me every night.

I don't know how old some of you are in the group, but I've found that as age creeps up on me, (I'm 48), I really need to pay attention to the white flour/bread consumptions and cut back on the sugar....it greatly affects my abdomen girth and energy levels.

I've tried the gazelle and I could get my HR up high enough on it, I never even cracked a sweat???? maybe it was the old version with no tension?

does anyone here do Pilates and Yoga? I'm a real novice but appreciate the improvement in my flexibility, looking for advice.

BBL, youguys are great, I really enjoy reading about everyone's targets too.

Shad
09-30-2005, 03:20 PM
Marble - I've been doing a Body Baance class once a week for over a year know. It's a combination of Pilates, Yoga and Tai Chi. It does improve flexibility greatly. I'm still fairly useless on the balance bits. I'm fine as long as there are two of my extremities touching the something even if it is only a fingertip on the wall. I'm getting better but my DS1 tells me it may be to do with my inner ear balance and I may be starting to have problems with deafness (as in you never listen to me anyway???) I should go to the hearing doctor. I do have tinnitus (sp?) and there is little anyone can do about that. I'll just keep on trying.

On to day 9. It's Saturday and I woke up at 4.30am :crazy: :mad: But now I am here, I should make the most of the day.

Apple Blossom
09-30-2005, 03:31 PM
Well, I did it! 21 days without beer!
:hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat: :hat:
Wa-hoo!
I am filled with ideas for my next challenge...I am going to keep the exercise challenge seperate from the consumption challenge though. And I'm taking the week-end off.....

I don't have a problem with stepping on the scale everyday. It reminds me that I have to work at it if I want change....If I suspect the reading won't be good, like after a big eating day, that's when I stay off.

Red- Carla's right...what's left to eat??? congrats on landing all that work...

Shad, Marble,Fishwoman and everyone else with exercise challenges...YOU ARE DOING GREAT!!!!!!!

:tread: :tread: Keep it up!

marbleflys
09-30-2005, 03:36 PM
Oh Shad, thanks for replying, YAWN, it's Saturday? don't I wish! Here (30miles south of NYC) it's Friday and work is still in full swing....

I can only do some modified Yoga poses as of yet, I've never heard of Baance style. I like to do the Pilates (I have a home version of the Trap. table it's great) and poses in the evening to relax my muscles and wish for a full night of sleep (with or without help from the pharmacy). it just feels good and releases my stress, but I don't think I get any fat-burning from it. I can only last about 30 mins. and my core burns, so maybe I do have some functioning ab. muscles left?

I lost a great deal of flexibility last year as I took a fall on the ceramic tile floor...and busted my nose, radial fracture to the left elbow and dislocated my shoulder...it was awful to actually hear my nose crack...I atrophied my muscles into the couch potato position and wasn't able to start therapy for over 6 months to re-straighten my arm. Now I don't take my flexibility for granted, I am working to get it back... I have no sense of balance with or without my equilibrium, but do have 95% of my hearing...even after all those Who, Pink Floyd and Rollingstones concerts I attended regularly. Your ears just might need a good flushing out, it's common for people to get a "waxy-build-up"...like the furniture.

Being the anal personality, I do the peroxide drops every couple of weeks to dissolve. (oh I also do the cats ears....I actually bleached poor Wylie's gray fur to auburn).

thanks again.

marbleflys
09-30-2005, 03:38 PM
oooh, I like that term....."consumption challenge"

Shad
09-30-2005, 04:07 PM
Actually I meant Body Balance class not baance. D'oh idiot.

marbleflys
09-30-2005, 04:58 PM
oh, I thought "baance" was some fancy Yoga style, native to Australia, because I don't actually know anything it, I was winging it.....heeheehee!

OH MY!!!! I just had a *gentleman caller* at my office....I seem to have an ACTUAL DATE this weekend....hmmmmm?

we'll see how he holds up, he teaches at the local air force base....

curlylocks
09-30-2005, 07:14 PM
day 19 45 min of circuit training... sitting here having my dinner.. homemade wheat waffles... yum yum i throw a bit of old fashioned oats in them just for more fiber... and topped them today with no sugar strawberry preserves

Ive been doing a modified south beach plan... but after the phase 1..
the only thing i added back were some fruits. no bread.. no pasta, no rice.. no potatoes...no startchy vegetables.. amazing how u really dont miss them at all it still leaves a lot of foods to choose from without them!

SillyFluff
09-30-2005, 08:07 PM
Walked 2 miles at 4am with the boyfriend. Thats our new schedule since I got a job. Worked a 9 hour shift on my feet today. Tomorrow is our grand opening, so it'll be even more active then today and yesterday. Gotta do some reasearch now so I gotta go. Post again tomorrow evening. I think I have sunday off cuz we dont have any parties planned. I'm not sure if people know we do them yet...HMMMM

Sweetloml
10-01-2005, 12:48 AM
day 7 :
45 mins Elliptical
100 sit ups - Oh man I am not up for this today lol
9- 8oz - need to up it a little

Cool!! let us know how it went with the date marbleflys lol I hope it's great date.

My son's school started their lovely candy drive for the school :tape: :( :cry: - I am not a big candy person but man it's hard sometime. I was temped until I saw how many calories those little chocolate sticks of heavenly delite are."Oh why, do they temp me so!!" Thanks heaven there was no milk duds in the box 0f 58. I think I would have broke done and eat a box or too. :devil: : :ink: :eating2:

redballoon
10-01-2005, 05:31 AM
Hello, all. I am so tired I can't think straight and I accidentally ordered cheese in my curry without even thinking it was on my challenge. So, I had to take another pause day on Day 9. That means only 1 left. Hmm.. Oh well, I'll try to make it through but I'll still have had all those days on it even if I have to start over. I have no problem finding tons to eat when I'm able to cook up things. My diet is based on vegetables, rice, other grains and beans. Fruits I indulge in for the sweet tooth. It really is quite easy once you get used to it. I just eat too much I guess and right now I'm not able to do more exercise than some walking...and the occasional horseback ride. I'm hoping to be able to hit the gym again soon.....gotta get some shut-eye. Big race day tomorrow.....and I've been up since 3 a.m.! Good night, all! Hang in there! Oh, and Apple, excellent going on the 21 whole days without beer. That is amazing!! :cp: :encore: :cp: :encore: You rock, woman!! :dancer: :dancer: :dancer:

Chaps
10-01-2005, 06:00 AM
I have been laughing hard at the "baance/balance" confusion on here. It's hilarious how communication via internet can produce some interesting gaps in communication.

So, yesterday was day 6 no choc, doing well, doing well. It was also the last day at that particular temp gig. Man, office work, how do people do it? I guess it's just my artistic nature, but if I thought all that was in my future was working in an office, I would not be able to stand it. The only reason I can handle it now is when I know it's temporary. I gotta be free!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Shad
10-01-2005, 06:24 AM
Day 9 done & dusted.

Food & portions - good
Exercise - excellent
Water - uuuuuhhhh well I had some
Lo carb - great.

Lovely day. Not much work done, but that's okay. I'm doing some of it now. It's gotten hot already - we've been at 30C today and it is still only spring. At least it aint that humid. Be grateful for small mercies Shaddie.

I wonder how marble's date went. Good luck marble.

vanessa6295
10-01-2005, 08:09 AM
Hey i didnt get to post yesterday but day 6 is done! I stayed within my points, exercised for 45 mins, drank lots of water and wrote everything down in my fool journal.

Carla- I've got my fingers crossed for you too :) lol

friendsforfitness
10-01-2005, 09:00 AM
CONGRATULATIONS APPLE BLOSSOM ON THE 21 DAY CHALLENGE ACCOMPLISHMENT!!!

Sweet, I so know how ya feel on the candy drive thing. My daughter is a senior and is doing the same thing for Grad night. I have not given in yet though. We can stay strong right!?

Red- I hope you got some rest in and have fun at that race! I know you'll love it though. Cheese, smeeze, dont' look back just keep going forward. :)

Silly, 4AM!!! Whaddaya nuts??!! How in the heck do you get up so early??? What do you get up at like 3 or 3:30 to be ready and walking by 4??? That's insane, do you go to bed at 6pm??

Marble- Let us know how the date turns out, I hope it was great!!

I hope everyone has a groovy Saturday! I'm working so no excitement here. :p

Lisa

curlylocks
10-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Completed the Alzheimers Memory walk this morning.. for a total of 3.5 miles walked...

wooo hoo 1 more day!

SillyFluff
10-01-2005, 05:24 PM
"Silly, 4AM!!! Whaddaya nuts??!! How in the heck do you get up so early??? What do you get up at like 3 or 3:30 to be ready and walking by 4??? That's insane, do you go to bed at 6pm??"

Its really the only time I get with my boyfriend now since i got that new job. So I enjoy it. I go to bed about 12 and sleep til 4am. Then we walk...maybe an hour...about 2 miles....and I come home and sleep til 9am. Seems to be working for me so far...

Oh yea Walked today...but only 30 minutes cuz my knees were hurting so bad. Did 9 hours on my feet yesterday at work to help get ready for our grandopening today...which kinda didn't happen cuz our computers crashed. BUMMER :(

redballoon
10-01-2005, 06:16 PM
Let's see how I fare with redoing Day 9 again. Should be okay as long as I just keep my mouth shut and do a bit of thinking before opening it. When I said yesterday it was "easy" to not eat this and that....I didn't mean to sound flip. Of course, it's not easy, easy. It's just that I've restricted myself to certain things for years being a vegetarian and it's mostly a mindset. I'm like an animal in the desert, but I know where the watering holes are and know to get there. I don't even see the other food anymore, because to me it's not food. The new additions, such as cheese, that threw me, because until now it was something I had every day. Problem is I was starting to get lazy and turn to that too much instead of cooking, even when I had the time to cook. These past few days have been hard because I am never home and it is hard to find food. That said, I could have easily not asked for cheese on the curry yesterday. I had really totally forgotten. Oh well, no problem, I threw the challenge to the wind and enjoyed myself the rest of the day. It was fun.

Chaps, I'm with you on the "can't work in an office." God, I hate it, absolutely hate it...

Well, back out to the track today for the race. It is going to be a tough day. I have to collect tons of data and comments and write two stories at the track and send them off, then write another tomorrow and another within the next week or so. That's not the hard part. The hard part will be all the chattering and distractions and I'm always on edge at a big race. I've seen too many accidents. Also, all the emotions involved really tire me...you got a winner and then you got 15 losers multiplied by the whole team of people for each horse. I only hope that there are no accidents and that the favorite from Hong Kong wins. I will try to maintain a deep calm, yet watchfulness during the entire day...now...to the showers!
:wave:

vanessa6295
10-01-2005, 09:18 PM
Day 7 done, i can't believe i've been on this challenge a week already:)
Everyone keep up the good luck:):)

Sweetloml
10-02-2005, 12:18 AM
day 8 :
45 mins Elliptical
100 sit ups :wl:
7- 8oz water
Pilates 30 min - new for me - really felt it but felt like a fish out of water

went to the movie and eat a junior popcorn with lots of butter - quess I see if that was a bad thing tomorrow when I weight in :corn: :yikes:

Night all ! :grouphug:

Shad
10-02-2005, 05:54 AM
Food portions - a bit more than necessary - best start back at measuring AGAIN.
Exercise - 45 minutes on cardio equipment (rower, elliptical, stepper, treadie, bike)
Water - grand
Lo carb - fine

To tired to comment today. It's been hot and I've been busy. Try again tomorrow.

SillyFluff
10-02-2005, 06:10 AM
Walked 2.3 miles this morning with the boyfriend. Walked at 5am instead of 4am since I am off today.

Chaps
10-02-2005, 08:14 AM
OK, yesterday was successful, though i almost, without even thinking, bought FF chocolate pudding cups. just out of habit! funny how that can take over when you are doing weekly chores.

vanessa - i love when a challenge feels like it's zipping by. most of my last one felt like it went fast. excellent!

redballoon - i had never considered the emotional aspects of the horseracing world. which is crazy because i should know that anything competitive has a huge variety of seriously deep emotions attached to it. and to think how it grows exponentially with each level of involvement...and they are all right there at the race! in my business, the people who don't make it generally remain faceless and nameless, it's easy to put them out of your mind. what a fascinating new way to think about sports...

enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone! happy challenging!

friendsforfitness
10-02-2005, 08:40 AM
Oh and I have lost 8lbs since Monday on SBD! Thank God! I'm still getting the headaches, but not as severly now. When will they stop???

Have a great day!
Lisa

redballoon
10-02-2005, 09:03 AM
Day 9 was REALLY hard and many times I thought of taking the last pause day, which would have definitely meant I'd be starting over soon, BUT I didn't, I stayed on the challenge, for what it's worth...hurrah for me.. :)

curlylocks
10-02-2005, 10:28 AM
Get ER' Done Red!!!!!!!

Speaking of Gettin eR done...... i'm getting ready to take the chai monster out for a long walk.. 3 miles and get my 21st day completed!!!!

:cheer:

Im back ALL DONE wooo hooo !!! challenge #4 complete!

marbleflys
10-02-2005, 03:18 PM
completed Saturday, Day #5---21 mins. Bringing my starting week's total to 1 hour & 13 mins. of exercise (without even batting an eyelash)

Sunday-Day #6---13 mins. of wts./cardio to start the week. Adding to my goal I will commit to adding on 10-20 mins. time each week...the *snowball* theory.

I cannot address the scale issue due to the fact that I've been on steroids for 3 weeks. Prednisone makes you PUFF-OUT, I feel more than *fluffy* I feeling a loaf of bread waiting to rise for the oven. My body is so sensitive today, I drank V-8 juice and turned flush......3 more days of this stuff, then I can get it out of my system....

The date? He's an odd one, I've seen him off and on (more off the last couple of months).. He calls me, tells me how much he likes me, asks me out, we set up tentative plans....then nothing? I guess he doesn't realize that this makes him look a big jackass or someone with poor manners...at any rate, it was an excuse to get my nails done. I didn't wait around, he has all my contact info. if he has a burning desire to call me. Maybe he doesn't know that my poison ivy is in a viral reaction stage and thought I'd give him something.... I'll tell the fool to double-check it with his sister the doctor. I dislike it when people waste my time.....and don't have the good taste to pick up the phone.....

FishWoman
10-02-2005, 03:52 PM
did my pushups yesterday and today. 10 in a row yesterday, but only 9 today. The hangover may have something to do with that.

As I am 1/2way through this challenge, i am going to try to do 21 days without alcohol. two glasses of wine is an extra 300 calories or so.

We ate way too much last night, so i am leery of my weigh-in tomorrow. Plus I got pulled into work today, so there is a good chance i will not be working out today :( We shall see.

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

redballoon
10-02-2005, 07:35 PM
It's the start of Day 10 here. Good to be in double digits at last. I don't understand why my days seem to go so slowly. I guess, and I've probably said it before, that I have to be vigilant all day long...such a drag, really.Why is it that I seem to think of food all day loooooong. Even if I'm not eating, I'm thinking of the fact that I'm not eating. Not that I necessarily want to eat or anything, just the fact that I am not eating and perhaps losing weight or doing great...or whatever, but nonetheless I'm thinking of it. What a drag. I guess it's just something I've learned, some sort of escape mechanism, a denial of the rest of the stuff happening in my life, a sanctuary of sorts, if even in my thoughts......:stress: Oh well, yesterday I was really all set to blow off another day. There were finger foods at the track and little cakes and things. There was also curry and vegetable stew though (this was in the foreign press room where I went to eat). I'm in the Japanese press room and we got nothing! but because it was an international race the foreign newspeople got something....tee-hee. I am a scavenger....Oh, and the spread in the owner's box was enormous. I snuck in there to try to watch the race from there and get the reaction afterward but got kicked out by some slimy American who works for the racing association here and lords it over everyone with his petty bureaucratic power......:mad: Ok, enough of the babble. It's the extra sleep I got, the caffeine in the morning coffee and my runny nose.....glad to be back with you all, will do a catchup in increments....working back in the posts...

Fish -- Moving right along I see, working up to 10, then knocked back to 9. Hmm. Still, it's progress on the original 5 you were doing, right? Good going...hmmm...another no-alcohol challenge in the making. Seems we got a lot of that. I still find it hard to believe that anything so NOT filling has no many calories in it...:lol3:

curly -- Thanks for the big red encouragement. :yes: By the way, though, what's the "er" in the "Get 'er done." Get it done? Get her done? Is this Maryland dialect or possibly a bit of Alabama slang you're studying up on? This puzzled me before but I didn't ask. Clue this clueless one in, please! And congrats to you for getting through yet another challenge :cp: :cp: :encore: :cp: :cp: :woo: :woo: :cp: :cp: .... you are really our star challenger! :stars:

marbleflys -- just where did your name come from anyhow? I've seen lots of flies, but no marble ones..hmm...perplexing....So, congrats on Day 6 down. I am jealous of all the exercise talk around here. It seems I can't make much of a dent in my body unless I throw myself on the weights at the gym or go all out on the treadmill, neither of which I've been able to do in weeks. It's hard to take any bit of free time I have and use it to do yet more "work" and face it, this kind of work is much harder than any of the other kind. Jeez, sounds like the date is someone who would get a polite, but chilled response from me the next time he decided to mozy around. Who do these guys think they're dealing with?! Certainly, no one they're capable of charming, that's for "$"#&%:censored:"%"#$"$ sure! He's definitely out of his league here! But, like you said, could be called an excuse to get the nails done. There is a purpose for all! :lol:

friends -- :bravo: on Day 12 in the bag! Wow, what is this? 12 lbs gone?!?!? Fantastic! Sure wish those headaches would stop. Must be the sugar withdrawal. It can, apparently, cause some people to go into a fetal position from the pain of it! Glad it didn't do much to me. In fact, now when I do eat sugar, I feel like I was knocking back pints the night before at a crazy pace! (even when I wasn't!! :lol3: )

Well, no more time now. More catchup will have to wait till later....Keep up all your good work, people! :wave:

curlylocks
10-02-2005, 07:42 PM
lol its something a friend says at work all the time... i guess she picked it from some movie .. i guess its more like... GETER DONE!
lmao beats me people in maryland dont have accents..

vanessa6295
10-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Day 8 done here..today went by soo slow..i dont know why but i was hungry all day no matter what i ate..i guess it was just one of thise days..you gotta take the good with the bad i guess. But the good thing is i stayed within my points, gazelle 30mins, drank plenty of water and wrote down everything in my food journal.My weigh in is tomorrow and im hoping to be down in the 140's. Maybe 149 lol. Keep up the good work everyone!!:):)

Sweetloml
10-03-2005, 12:23 AM
Day 9 :
1 hour Elliptical
100 sit ups
10- 8oz water needed a lot of water today

sorry about the date marbleflys, but getting your nails done is always worth it lol

way in was good, was hoping was more but happy to at least be dropping some weight again.

Night all

SillyFluff
10-03-2005, 05:17 AM
Just got back from a 2 mile walk with my boyfriend. Shoulder hurts cuz I slept on it wrong...but other then that I'm ok. HEHE

I'm in the home stretch and already thinking about my next challenge.

motivated.one
10-03-2005, 05:39 AM
Is it ok to join in? This is my first EVER challenge!! A huge step for myself since I was always afraid that I would not finish them!! Well..I dont know if this is ok for a goal but to fit in my water 30 minutes of cardio 4 days a week and walking 3 days a week..

now..do I post daily when I do them? sorry Im a bit clueless. :dizzy:

Shad
10-03-2005, 06:39 AM
Food :D - apart from forgetting breakfast this morning and having to buy some. :?: :?: :?: Having a senior moment here.

Exercise - 3rd round of exercise done for the week. Only 2 more to go. 30 solid minutes of weights, resistance and sweat.

Portions - :)

Lo carb - :s: They have a habit of catching up with you given half a chance. But I just scraped with the points.

So not a bad day overall.

Motivated one - welcome. Good goals. Go back to page one where Redballoon has written the rules for challenges. Yes you should pop in once a day and tell of your progress.

Good going Sillyfluff (where do you get a name like that?)

Sweet - doing well. Keep it up.

Vanessa and Red - some days are food days. You just can't stop thinking about it - what to have for dinner, what to have for a treat, what's for breakfast 15 days down the track (yes I've had those days where I planned 3 weeks in advance what I would have and no I didn't write it down and didn't do the plan either)

Fishy - I find with exercise that there are days when you can do much more than others. I've learnt to go with the flow. Some days you fly through 0 others you struggle. Tomorrow will be better.

Marble - ditch that bloke, he's neither use nor ornament. Hope the nails looked good.

Friends - you are really going well on SBD. I was reading your journal the other day. But those headaches sound awful. Hope they stop soon.

My fingers have had it. I'm going to bed. Night all.

redballoon
10-03-2005, 07:03 AM
Hi guys, I shouldn't even be here because I have an hour before I must get to sleep and I have another story to write, albeit a short one..on the same race again...I am getting sick of it! But I wanted to say I think I'm safe in calling Day 10 a wrap. This coming week is going to be tough. Already two days with alcohol loom and I don't know what I can manage. My money situation is so bad I have to fight back tears...I don't know why I can't find work...these things that pop up cannot sustain me. It just sucks...

Anyhow, I'll keep at it. Keep trying to find something. I really just came in here now to talk to our newbie. Later everyone. Maybe I can come up for air around Wednesday. It's Monday night here...
:kickcan:

motivated.one -- Hello! :wave: Yes, yes, of course you can join. However, like Shad said, please go to the beginning of this thread (page 1) and read the rules. This is not a challenge like, do this x times a week, do that x times a week. It's about doing something or a variety of things every single day. Now, of course, there are ways around that. Some people here have gotten around it but the real idea of this challenge is about forming habits, not staying on plan or so, unless that is a habit you want to form. It's not even necessarily about weight loss. Many of our successful challengers don't lose weight because that is not an immediate goal, or they do those goals on other threads! So, all that said, and I'm really rushing here, you pick something you can do every single day that you think is something that will help you, in your life right now. It may be connected to weight loss or exercise or boosting your self esteem. Anything really. But, it should be something that is a bit of a challenge for you. It's good to pick something that seems easy in the beginning because as the days go by you'll see how things get harder.

Now, all that said about doing something every day. That's what we need to keep a grip on things. So many of the other threads you don't know whether to congratulate someone or encourage them, feel bad or feel good for them. Here, it's easy. If someone makes it through to another day, meaning she nothces one more day of doing her challenge thing, then we all can cheer her on. If she flubs it, she goes back to Day 1 (or take a pause day if she has one left). So it's a choice. It's all very, very clear whether you're on the wagon or off it and we want you ON it!! But, like I said, this is not necessarily about the big picture, more likely it's not. It's about learning all the little things, learning how to do all the little things, that when someday put all together will spell success for you. It depends on your challenge. You can also split things into two challenges if you don't want to get dragged down by one when you were still okay on the other. Ok? Hope you understand.

So, please read the finer points of the rules and then come in here and tell us what you're game for! :spin: Yeah. And "clueless" is okay!!! We accept ALL types. And boy, do we have some types here! :lol3: Waiting on you!

Chaps
10-03-2005, 08:04 AM
Yippy, 8 days finished with no chocolate....and, though I'm sure I am jinxing myself by saying this, I haven't even really had a craving for it. I'm sure it will hit soon enough.

Shad - I totally agree about exercise being different every day. I have really learned to listen to body and give it what it needs. When I first started working out, I used to really beat myself up about it - C'mon, you went 16 laps yesterday, why are you lagging after only 10 today??? But now I have accepted that my body is a new thing every day, and that's so much better for me emotionally.

Have a great day everyone!

friendsforfitness
10-03-2005, 08:34 AM
I am borderlining 2 weeks already!! I am so glad I'm back, let's just pray I stay this time right?

Red, no I haven't lost 12 pounds since SBD, I've lost 9 pounds!!!9 pounds!!! I am thrilled with that though!!

Joy, thanks so much. I am very happy with my progress and I am hoping that since I woke up WITHOUT a headache that might be a good sign. The nine pounds actually made them worth it. If that makes any sense. I needed a huge jump start to help me get my motivation and determination on track, kwim? That is so nice of you to read my journal, btw. Thanks. :D

Once the headaches pass for good I am going to need to begin exercising so I have a feeling that will be my challenge next.

Hope everyone has a great day, gotta go give baby breakfast!

Buh bye,
Lisa :wave:

marbleflys
10-03-2005, 11:20 AM
OH PIDDLE!!!! I have to start back at day #1 tomorrow, cos I sure didn't exercise today (unless I force myself tonight, hmmm there's a thought?)

I overslept by 2 hours! The cats were sitting on the dresser staring me down (that's what most of woke me up)...my eyes are puffy and bloodshot from allergies, but the awful poison ivy seems to be relieved....3 more days of steroids and it will probably take a week to flush the mess from my system. will let you guys know what I do, or just start over....BBL, work is kicking my assssss

SillyFluff
10-03-2005, 11:27 AM
"Good going Sillyfluff (where do you get a name like that?)"

It would have been AngryFluff (a name given to me by my boyfriend cuz of when we play video games) but it wouldnt let me...go figure. LOL

FishWoman
10-03-2005, 12:13 PM
I just knocked out my 9 push-ups for today!

I probably could have pushed out ten, but, i didn't. I did, however, take a "total body conditioning" class at the gym this morning. and we did about 30 push-ups total (but not consecutive - which is my challenge).

I am crazy busy today. Trying to get everything done before i have to leave for Rosh Hashana. Happy New Year to anyone else who is Jewish! I will post tomorrow with more concern for how everyone else is doing :^: As for now, i wish you all well. :)

Apple Blossom
10-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Hi everyone. I am ready to jump back into a challenge. I am doing a split challenge, so I decrease the odds of TOTALLY messing up.
Challenge 1: No beer (easy, done it before), no other alcohol unless it's a social thing. (no cuddling up on the couch with a bottle of wine and a movie) :lol:
Challenge 2: EXERCISE At least 60 sit ups and 15 min of step video.

Here we go!!
Hope everyone had a great week end.
Red, sounds like you've been busy with work... :shrug: Is racing a year round thing in Japan, or is it seasonal?
Sounds like you and I have the same difficulties regarding exercise....

mezmerize
10-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Ok going to try and play Catch up once again! Im so sorry if I miss anyone! I had an extremely busy weekend. Im on day 4 of my challenge and I tell you walking past that scale today has been fairly hard. I cant move it because my husband uses it. I just need to be strong!

Chaps That sounds wonderful. Im sure youll make your 14lbs goal. At 1st I felt silly now its fairly easy. I have an odd sense of humor so I do end up LOL. My family just gives me a strange look.

FishWoman I do believe there was a lot of heavy air going around. I swear I felt it pushing on my shoulders! No alcohol for 21 day with a birthday and wedding coming up!! Wow that is one GREAT challenge!

friendsforfitness Congrats on being a loser! Yes 3 FC is very very at addictive! I had my headaches all through ph1 and into ph2 I stopped SBD and they went away. I did ask in the board and not everyone is the as to when they stop. Some stop shortly into Ph2. Stick with it and theyll go away.

marbleflys It sounds like you have lots of fun working out! LOL @ lifting my knees like drum majorette on home-made meth!!! I know what you mean about the weight not being right in ones head but there are so many other factors. Muscle gain, TOM and such Im not going to let it bother me. I know Im doing my best! You are working out so hard there is no doubt youll have great results! I have just been doing Pilates and Yoga. One of the things you need to keep in mind when 1st starting is that dont worry about having perfect form right away that will come in time just do what you can. I modify some poses because of bad knees. Just read your newest post. OUCH Im sure with Pilates and Yoga youll have your flexibility back just take it slow. There is no excuse for bad manners! Your much to good for the likes of him!

Shad That Body Balance class sound real interesting! Im going to check around thanks!

Apple Blossom CONGRATS TO YOU!!! :D

curlylocks Those homemade wheat waffles sound YUMMY!

SillyFluff 4 A.M. Walk!! You must be an early birdie!!

Sweetloml I got hit by my nieces and nephews with that school stuff. What I did is had them choose what they thought they would like and that is going to be their x-mas present from me. (they dont know that but it keeps the sweets out of my house)

Red I too was/have been getting lazy with cooking! Its been so darn hot and I hate turning on the oven so been using the George Forman. Which does the job well but can be too small (I have the largest they make) for a family of 3. ( My son plays a lot of sports and can eat and eat)

motivated.one Welcome to 21 days challenge!! I LOVE YOUR NICKNAME!!!

curlylocks
10-03-2005, 03:23 PM
OK gotta think of my next challenge..... thinking....... thinking... I have one in mind but my new running shoes wont be here till wednesday! .... BBL gotta think this over.. tho i will still continue my daily circuit trraining and walking..

ok a few hours later... I have come up with my new challenge and this is gonna be a very hard one for me...

My new challenge is to get up and walk in the am :lol:

my circuit training is a given im addicted to that!! but this getting up in the morning and walking is gonna be a tuff one for me! ok there ya go ...

friendsforfitness
10-03-2005, 08:54 PM
I am so excited to say that I did not get a headache today!! Let's hope it continues, thanks Mez!

Curly, that am walk would be such a toughy for me too!

ttyl,

vanessa6295
10-03-2005, 09:20 PM
Day 9 done here:) weigh in was aslo today, donw 4lbs from last week:)

SillyFluff
10-03-2005, 10:58 PM
"SillyFluff 4 A.M. Walk!! You must be an early birdie!!"

Not really. Its when my boyfriend gets home from work. So I try to enjoy it since now that I'm working I dont get as much time with him as I used to.

mezmerize
10-03-2005, 11:12 PM
curlylocks - Sounds like another great challenge! That walk will be really nice for you both to catch up and watch the sky! I love looking at the early morning sky! I'm a Scout Master AST. I haven't been camping in awhile but loved to look at the sunset. Only problem is I'm more of a night owl.

friendsforfitness - I'm happy to hear the headache is gone! I'm so proud of you for not giving up!!

vanessa6295 - WE HAVE ANOTHER LOSER!!! YOU GO!!!

Sweetloml
10-04-2005, 12:56 AM
Day 10 :
1 hour Elliptical
100 sit ups
Pilates 30 min
a little over 7- 8oz water needed a lot of water today

Really starting to feel myself tone up, which is a first time for me. I have lost weight before but never felt anything but flab :rofl: . Feel good overall but for being sore a little here and there :p :strong:

Welcome aboard - glad to have you, motivated.one :wave:

Thanks -great idea about what to do with the candy, lol don't want it in the house. :bravo:

Shad
10-04-2005, 04:22 AM
Day 12 Complete

Food - good, but maybe a little high in carbs (good carbs tho)
Exercise 40 minutes on cardio equipment - stepper, elliptical, bike and treadmill.
Water - not bad, could have been a bit better.

I probably should think of the next challenge, but it is a way away as yet and if I do another 21 day challenge, I shall be trying to be good while I am on holidays and there is nothing worse than being good on holiday. So maybe I will think about it while away and come back to a new challenge. By then we will all be thinking about Christmas no doubt.

Okay - haven't got time to stop and chat right now. Got things to do, places to go and people to see.

SillyFluff
10-04-2005, 04:52 AM
Just returned from my morning walk. Only walked about 1.2 miles this morning cuz my head hurts really freaking bad. Goin back to bed now LOL...

curlylocks
10-04-2005, 06:35 AM
ehhh 5:30 AM the alarm goes off... thinking ahead i just wore my walking clothes to bed.. lmao get my eyes open by 5:45 and hit the road...

2 miles this morning... and day 1 completed!! :dizzy:

this is a double challege for me cuz it means i have got to be in bed by 10 pm... i really do need to start keepin a regular bedtime..

curlylocks
10-04-2005, 06:51 AM
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2tbs splenda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk (or skim)
2TBS canola oil
1 egg

mix everything ... batter will be a bit lumpy.. serves 4
(4 waffles) you can also use this same batter for pancakes

* i also throw in a bit of old fashioned oatmeal.. just for more fiber.. and its also very fillling

per serving:

cals 278
carbs: 31
protein: 7.5g

WW points: 5.1

motivated.one
10-04-2005, 06:56 AM
Thank you for explaing the challenge to me. I think I am going to change what I want my challenge to be now that I understand the whole concept! Id like my first challenge to be not eating after 7pm. That is HUGE for me and one of my biggest obstacle ever..so here I go day one! wish me luck! :dizzy:

You are all an awesome inspiration to me when I want chocolate I come here instead and it seems to be working so thank you!

Chaps
10-04-2005, 07:09 AM
Top of the morning, all. Day 9 finished. And today I got to sleep in a little (630a instead of 530, hahaha) so I'm feelin' a little punchy. Yay for energy!

Motivated.One - Not eating after 7pm sounds like an awesome challenge. Nights are definitely a problem for me, and I let myself justify it in all kinds of ways. I bow down to you for attempting this challenge. (And I love that you come to this board when you feel a chocolate craving - that's *exactly* what it's for!)

Shad - Being good on holiday is definitely a drag. This past year when I have been on vacation, I always start my trip saying, I can be good. Then I fail, HA!

Sweetloml - I LOVE that feeling of starting to feel toned! My last challenge was to do a complete abs workout every day, and it made a HUGE difference in that roll of flab around my middle! I was *STOKED* because I had figured that no matter how much I lost, that watery, gooey flab would always be there. But it can be tamed!!

Mez - I am so right there with you on loving early morning sky. It is a huge part of why I can get up at 530a and go jogging. I love when I can finish all my laps just before the sun rises, and do my strength training just as it's coming up. Believe it or not, Queens looks absolutely gorgeous at sunrise.

For everyone else, have a great day!

friendsforfitness
10-04-2005, 08:57 AM
Well, I'm very happy to say that I'm 2/3rds of the way to completeing my first challenge this go around. :D

Mez- Thank you for your support, it's really sweet.

I'm dumbfounded, because I've lost more weight.:goodscale I am actually considering staying on Phase 1 for just two more weeks after the first two weeks. That way I'll be able to add in the exercise and really "kick it up a notch". :dizzy:
I haven't decided yet though. We'll see, the food gets kinda old especially breakfast. I have to start reading up on phase two so I know what I can and can't do during that time. Then there is always the option of maybe one monthe phase 2, two weeks phase 1?? Hmmmm that maybe an idea there... :lol:

Curly- Good going on that early am walk. I applaud you :cp: That goes for all you early risers who do it just to get in the exercise. Man it's something I'm gonna have to step up to that's for sure. With the baby in the house, it's hard to find me time so early morning it'll probably have to be. :rolleyes:

Anyways, gotta get and do chores, run for diapers and such, fix breakfast and get in some floor play with Gage.

I hope everyone has a groovy day!! :dance:

TTYL, :crazy:
Lisa

redballoon
10-04-2005, 09:41 AM
Ok, all, it's late and I just got in. I completed another day! Hurrah, Hurrah! That still leaves me one pause day and I may have to take it Friday because one of the big drinkers has his birthday and they "warned" me on Monday that I gotta be there.....

Was at a book launch party for some guy I didn't know and I made my drink oolong tea, not beer. Yeah! I feel strong!

So, Day 11 is a wrap!! :cb:

motivated.one -- Great to see you again! That sounds like one tough challenge! You're not starting out easy, are you? Wow! Well, here's wishing you the best of luck. Tell as how it goes, each and every day. And remember you get one pause day on your first challenge. Take it or start over. Most of us like to save the pause day/s to toward the end, but you can use it to plan for a special occasion too. Best of luck! :sunny:

Others, really can't catch up here it seems. Just no time. Hang in there, like you all look to be doing! Thank you all for making this thread such a great and lively supportive place! :thanks:

FishWoman
10-04-2005, 12:25 PM
So, it's day 13 and i am back up to 10 push-ups in a row!

Um, that no-alcohol challenge? I don't think that is working for me. Shoot, now you all are going to think i have a drinking problem. I really don't! But i enjoy a glass of wine when i get home too much :) I will have to be like redballoon and do this challenge once i have some pause days built up ;)

But! I have a new challenge to do! Starting today! No more than 1500 calories per day. I feel that as long as i am careful, I should be able to do this, even with all the social events going on.

Curlylocks - that waffle/pancake recipie sounds delish!

I can't believe so many of you get up so early! I had to get up at 5:15 a.m. yesterday (b/c DH and I were sharing a car) and I was very grumpy about it. But, i did get into the gym and work out first thing! I can't do that every day though.

Apple Blossom
10-04-2005, 04:17 PM
Did I say I was going to start on Monday? Well, I MEANT Tuesday... :devil:
No, really, I have to get this started!!!
I love early morning too, but I love sleeping more.....

curlylocks
10-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Friends for life: Ive been doing south beach since march.. and i havent reallly added much back in after phase 1, still no bread, no pasta, no tato's, no startchy veggies..no rice which makes it basically a diabetic diet..

i try to replace sugar with splenda.. the only thing i have really added back are some fruits

redballoon
10-04-2005, 08:28 PM
Starting Day 12 here. Ah, at last, the numbers start to sound like they feel, which is like I've been doing this for weeks and weeks! I feel good about myself for not having had any alcohol last night. They even asked me, "are you sure you don't want anything harder?" and "don't you drink?" and I just said, "No, I do drink, but I don't want to drink tonight." End of story. It was nice. Of course, these were sensible people I was with, runners and stuff, not the guzzling young guys I work with at the paper. :lol:

Well, today I am determined to get to the gym and start back feeling like I am athletic and fit. It makes all the difference in how one feels, I think. Start acting a certain way and the rest will follow. This is what I have to remember.

Apple -- :lol: I hear you on the not wanting to get started yet...at least you're trying! But you are on your no-beer, no-unsocial-alcohol challenge, right? You asked about racing...it's year-round here, but the big races, the top-level and ones with the biggest purses, are in the spring and fall. And some of those are open to foreign-based horses. Hong Kong is big in racing and the proximity of it means horses have a good chance of doing well even after the trip here. So, I get work sometimes from them. This past race, I was working for the Hong Kong people and then wrote up a report on the race for both the States and Britain. Yeah, with the exercise it's hard to maintain any sort of workout program when you're busy. Walking doesn't seem to do much for me but I guess if I didn't do it, I'd be even bigger so I'll just take what I'm doing and be happy with it. I am going to say, as long as I don't gain during a busy time, I will be happy. When I don't have work, that's when I'm going to try to make progress with fat-burning, muscle-building and cardio fitness.

Fish -- Sure, that's what they all say!! Damn, get a grip on the boozin' :rofl: Just kidding! I think it's a good idea to wait to you have the max. three days of puase days. When you realize that that's like one free day every week (though of course you just extend the challenge) it makes it a lot easier psychologically. I would do the first two challenges with something that you DO instead of something you DON'T DO. I think that's easier to cope with. Pushups are going great, aren't they? I think you could do 21 by the end! So, are you running a second challenge parallel to the pushups? Guess so. Wow, I think for me counting calories would be the absolute hardest thing for me to do. I hate math!! What I could do would be perhaps to set a menu and just eat the same thing all the time once I had figured the calorie count. That would actually work for me better. Course it may hogtie my social life...oh, that's right, I don't have one of those! :lol3: As for the getting up early, you gotta go to bed early too, at least that's the only way I can do it. Or do whatever you do half asleep and then go back to bed. You get used to it, believe me. And like chaps, the early morning is a great time really. I've gotten so I really love being out early too.

Oh, yes, and a belated Happy New Year to you! I saw that it is something like the year 5,000 and something. Wow!

friends -- You are moving right along. And I'm glad to see your challenge of posting here has gotten you rolling again. I think it was your strategy of kind of taking the pressure off you that may have worked. Kind of like when I say, I'm just going to go to the gym, I don't have to do anything and then once I'm there I do a lot. Glad to see it's working for you! :yes: And, have the headaches stopped totally now? Do you think it was the sugar you're missing or maybe caffeine. There's a lot of hidden caffeine in chocolate and so. Were you eating a lot of that or drinking soda? Oh, and sorry about the mistake in the pounds lost. I was thinking, 12 days, 12 lbs. But wow, 9 pounds is utterly fantastic. You must be psyched! :spin:

Chaps -- Hello there. Sorry I haven't been posting to anyone really individually, except for once when I started going back through the posts and only got through a few. I just do it from the latest to the oldest. Congrats on getting through Day 9. Wow, I can't believe you've come this far already. And you haven't taken any pause days, have you? I know you don't like to do them, right? Your talk about the ab workouts and how they made you feel is starting to get me psyched about working out again. I think I have had the same gut so long now that I no longer believe it is possible to lose it. This is what I need, some true inspiration, something to believe in. And yes, I know the N.Y. sky. It is beautiful and I miss it. My dad is from Queens and I still have relatives there. I find it amazing though that you get your laps done BEFORE the sun rises. Stellar! :sunny:

Oh, and yes, the race was an emotional rollercoaster. They often are. Because the non-winners usually disappear back to the stables or back to the owners' boxes immediately I usually don't get to talk to them, especially if I'm writing a story, because I'll just focus on the winner. But this last time, I had talked a lot to one of the other Hong Kong horse's people and they did poorly in the race. I would have liked to have said something at least but of course they had disappeared and I was busy out with the winners who were screaming and hugging and kissing (these are Hong Kong people, not Japanese...they would never get touchy feely... :lol3: ) so it was the usual extreme contrast in things that always kind of leaves me a bit drained. Still, I am used to it now so it's okay. The real horrible thing is when a horse breaks down on the track and you have the winners celebrating and the horse out there still...that is horrible. Every race all I hope for is that everyone gets through it okay.

curly -- Good luck on your new challenge. It sounds like a real tough one. And your eating sounds fabulous, though way too restrictive for me. You must be losing weight like crazy, no? But your weight tracker doesn't seem to have changed. Is it down and you just haven't changed it yet? I hope so.

Ok, I gotta get some breakfast in me! I'll be back to talk to the rest of you!

By the way, carla, where are you?!?!?! :shrug: Come in here and talk to us! :dunno:

curlylocks
10-04-2005, 09:15 PM
hey RED... heres an idea when they press ya to have a drink... just tell them u are taking some medication that u cant mix with booze..

sigh yes Im battling the great plateau.... up 2 lbs down 4 , but i did lose one lb last week... and i think some of the ups are due to my increased circuit training... I do see very obvious big changes in my body... slow and steady... Ive lost real fast before (120 lbs) only to have it come back when i stopped the diet...

this time its a lifetime change.. I have no intentions of ever going back to eating the things ive cut out on a regular basis... when i meet my goal i may allow myself one free day every 2 weeks to have something i am really craving...

But i have come to realize that the way we eat is just crazy.. and that you can actually remake anything into a healthy version...

plus i just feel so much better!

redballoon
10-04-2005, 09:25 PM
Heh, curly, well, in light of you being on a major plateau, then your determination is all the more impressive! :yes: Being in Japan has no doubt had a huge effect on the way I eat and it is no longer crazy. If I were in the States it would be another story. Whenever I go back, I am in shock at the portions and the fat and everything else....for about three days....then I slowly start chowing down. If that were coupled with the drive-everywhere, walking-is-weird lifestyle I see so much of (except in cities like NY) I would soon be packing on the pounds. If I ever get back to the States I am hoping the habits I've made here can help me. I'm sure they will.

As for the excuses not to drink..I would NEVER talk about medication... :eek: If I did that, I can just imagine the rumors!! :lol3: Jeez, guess what she's caught.... Nah, just kidding, actually, I have no problem saying no to people. It's the saying no to myself that is the problem. With a big night out beerin' it's not about the booze of course, it's the wild drunken fun, the arguing, the laughing, the doing crazy things...that's what I find not doing really hard, what I WANT to do because I am the one havng the most fun. Really, something like last night, which would have been a couple drinks just to keep the tears of boredom back would have made me feel horrible and that's why it was easy. Thanks though for your concern....maybe you are now even more concerned about me! :rofl:

Well, good luck on keeping on keeping on. You are a rock!

carla49
10-04-2005, 09:52 PM
Even without orders from the :drill: I was intending to post tonight. Somehow i just don't seem to have the energy to do much when I've been working, and then I can't think of anything interesting to say (unlike my usual drivel...) I'm very lucky tonight because I have my little Lily helping me type this. She's in a rambunctious mood, bouncing all over the place and trying to climb my pantleg. I've never had a little kitten before, so I had no idea how adorable they are or what a pile of doting mush they turn their owners into.

I'm on Day 13, so far so good. I haven't taken a rest day yet, but might sneak one in tomorrow or Thursday - Friday is my rhinoplasty, and I expect it will be fairly easy to finish the last few days while recovering. I almost docked myself a rest day on Sunday - I ate an incredibly sweet and not very good date square while celebrating a good friend's successful house sale. Maybe it would be a good idea for me to have a challenge involving NOT finishing food that isn't even very good. Hand in my membership in the clean plate club, so to speak. Anyway, it wasn't wine or chocolate or candy, so I gave myself a break.

Curly, I don't know how you can eat such a restricted diet! I often contemplate doing SB, but then I read the food list and realize I just can't. My hope for the future is to one day be able to eat what I want and want what I should eat, if that makes any sense. Congrats on finishing your challenge!! :balloons: :bravo:

Red, good for you not having drinks! It's not easy. At one point I started telling people I was on medication and couldn't have alcohol. (Of course I was on meds, but it certainly never stopped me before.) Will I ever be forgiven for introducing the whole abstention concept to this thread? Do you have other work lined up now that the race is over, or will you be "resting" and worrying about your sorry financial state? Glad to know you're planning to head back to the gym.

The Gazelle I ordered is in Ottawa with UPS - they of course only deliver during working hours, and I'm working so far this week. I tried to arrange delivery for next Tues when I'll be at home recovering with my black eyes and bulbous schnozz, but somehow the message didn't get to the guy who tried to deliver again this afternoon. Once I recover from the surgery, I'm really going to stop lying around and do some moving. Spinning classes start in November, and the class I go to caters to triathletes (zero body fat, boundless energy, freakish mutant metabolisms... I have no idea how I ended up there, but I do serve as an object lesson on of what might happen to them if they ever stopped moving) so it would be a good idea to get a little work in ahead of time. I think of it as my weekly humiliation, although it's kind of a thrill to actually get thru the class, however pathetically.

Chaps, you mention watery, gooey flab around the middle. Have you got a spyhole into my house or something?

I really wish I knew how to split the screen here or something so I could refer to your posts as i write. Sometimes when I shuttle back and forth from your posts, mine disappears, and I'm not risking that tonight. So my apologies to all those I've been neglecting.

Shad
10-04-2005, 10:02 PM
Carla - if you use the Go Advanced function instead of the Post Quick Reply, you can go back 15 entries without losing your entry. Another tip is to highlight the whole lot and copy it (Ctrl + C) every so often in case you lose it and I certainly do that before I click on Submit - I've lost too many posts not to copy. Oh and for those who don't know (Ctrl+V) will paste it back it. Don't mean to treat anyone like a dummy, it's just that this sort of thing is what I do for a living - teach people in the workplace how to use computer programs.

carla49
10-04-2005, 10:30 PM
Thanks, Shad. I only recently learned how to copy and paste (sort of) and never thought of trying it on here. It all seems like magic tricks to me... :thanks:

curlylocks
10-04-2005, 11:11 PM
im weird i can decide i like something and eat it everyday for 2 weeks and not get sick of it lol

Im very lucky also .. because i go to my moms houe for lunch break and shes a great help to me.. making me a SB friendly lunch everyday!

Shad
10-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Hey Red, the last time I went to the States, the Cheesecake Factory served me up a meal which I had doggy bagged and which lasted me for 3 days!!! I'm used to large size meals in Australia, but that was bbbbbbbbbiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggggg. I now prefer the meals (similar to Chinese) where they put dishes on a lazy susan in the middle of the table and you all get to try out whatever you want.

I'm coming up to Nagoya at the end of the month (22 days but who is counting) so will no doubt get some Japanese size meals which will be nice. Last time I was up there, I broke a plateau and lost 2kg while on holiday. May the same thing happen this time.