100 lb. Club - Your ideas on Breakfast and Lunch..

getfitt
09-19-2005, 08:07 PM
What foods do you like to eat for breakfast/lunch?

DaisyMaisy
09-19-2005, 08:42 PM
I like yougurt, toast, and a banana for breakfast or I will have a bowl of Raisin Bran Cereal. DM

frenchiepolarbear
09-19-2005, 08:47 PM
Homemade Egg McMuffin; far less greasy than the original one ;)

Gives me enough energy to bike at work

RealCdn
09-19-2005, 08:59 PM
I'm pretty boring / compulsive with these two meals!

Breakfast - almost always consists of a baked egg dish and a piece of fruit. I make them three at a time when I've got the oven on for something else. I take 50ml off egg white, 50ml of egg substitute, 1/2-oz of a cheese blend as the base. I'll add in any vegetables I have around or use dried, soaked slightly. I wrap them up and then nuke one at work.

Lunch - Salad, usually simply mixed greens with cucumber, pepper and tomatoes (I tend to leave the veg uncut and cut and mix before) with a FF salad dressing. Also lean protein (Costco's finest) and a few servings of fruit. Usually I throw 3 servings of fruit in the lunch bag, planning to take one sometime in the morning. Often I end up eating them all at lunch.

Anne

Sheila53
09-19-2005, 09:27 PM
I like cottage cheese, fruit and nuts or 1 egg + 2 egg whites scrambled with veggies and smoked salmon and some fruit. For lunch, I like eating leftovers from dinner, or a salad with canned salmon or tuna, and some fruit.

beachball_diva
09-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Breakfast is usually lean pocket (egg, cheese bacon or sausage), Special K cereal or slim-fast. I have to have convenient for breakfast because otherwise I just wouldn't eat at all. Things are crazy here in the mornings.

Lunch is salad with a little mashed avocado in it, tuna sandwich (or a tuna wrap using lettuce for the "wrap"), chicken noodle soup, or a Lean pocket (yeah, I love those things :-P)

lucky
09-19-2005, 10:38 PM
I try not to eat the same things over and over but I do have a few staples.

For breakfast they are:
Vegetable Egg White Omlette: 2 large egg whites, sliced mushroom, green pepper, and red onion, and a tablespoon of Tostitos Salsa Con Queso.

Fruit and Nut Oatmeal: 1/2 cup oatmeal cooked in 1 cup of water with 3 equal packets, cinnamon and sugar. I add in 1 chopped dated (dried and pitted), 1 T. of raisins, 1 T. chopped walnuts, and 1 T. reduced calorie syrup. Sometimes I'll skip the date and raisins and add chopped banana instead. I also usually stir in a tablespoon of Benefiber.

1 cup of grits with 2 teaspoons soft margarine, 1 slice toast with 1 t. jelly, and a Morning star breakfast sausage patty. (Clearly, I'm not watching my carb intake with this one!)

My lunch standards are:

Grilled black bean and corn burrito with jalepeno's, red onion, and chili powder with a little guacamole or light sour cream and 1/4 ounce cheddar cheese

Black bean soup (made with one 15 oz can) with 1 T. light sour cream

Veggie Burger (I use Morning Star Grillers Prime) with a small potato (about 2 oz) thinly sliced and baked until crisp.

howie6267
09-19-2005, 10:59 PM
My breakfast is always Kashi with blueberries. Lunch is a lot of things. Just depends on what I feel like.

mezmerize
09-19-2005, 11:56 PM
7 whole grain oatmeal - sometime I put a little bit of pumpkin in it and splenda.
An apple or bananna filled with natural peanut butter and rasins.
A handfull of heart healthy nuts and yogurt.
Cottage cheese and peaches or whatever fruit I have on hand.

mousie
09-20-2005, 12:08 AM
I have to second frenchiepolarbear. I make homemade Egg McMuffins with 1 egg (microwaved in a ramekin), 1 slice of 2% milk cheese, thinly sliced canadian bacon, and whole wheat english muffins. I'm following WW Flex Points, and it comes out to 6 points. Keeps me full and comfortable until it's time to eat again, and using 'real' foods (eggs, not eggbeaters; canadian bacon, not vegetarian breakfast meats) means it's more satisfying and I don't feel deprived. Mid morning I have light yogurt (can't taste the difference really) and applesauce/fruit. Lunch is some form of protein and veggies. Come to think of it, that's what tea and dinner are, too! :)

SwimGirl
09-20-2005, 12:45 AM
I am completely boring with my breakfast, I usually try to have a smoothie, 1 banana, frozen whole organic strawberries, some pineapple chunks, orange juice, some ground freshly ground up flax seeds, and water. If I have some extra time, I make oatmeal with fruit cut up on it.

Lunch is a bit different, it's either leftovers from dinner, or a salad and fruit and yogurt. Costco sells no fat, no sugar, no artificial sweetened yogurt with real fruit, it's amazing!!

-Aimee

taekwondomom
09-20-2005, 01:43 AM
I frequently have Kashi GoLean and sliced bananas with vanilla soymilk for breakfast although oatmeal has been a favorite lately along with wheat toast with peanut butter and strawberry jelly.
Lunch is usually big salad. I'll add some tuna or chicken for protein. I really like tuna mixed with salsa and BBQ sauce on my salad. Spicy foods make me feel more satisfied and eliminate that yearning for something sweet and gooey I frequently get after even a filling meal.

ChocLabLover
09-20-2005, 08:31 AM
I am pretty boring for breakfast and lunch. Breakfast is usually cheese and crackers with a serving of green peppers. I need something portable because I leave the house early to go work and eating something at 5:00 am is just not on. ;) Lunch is a spinich salad and other vegetables, and somedays I mix salmon with it or cheese for the protein.

Nash
09-20-2005, 08:35 AM
I am a creature of pure habit. Jenny Craigs Fruit & Granola cereal with a sliced banana, and an apple every morning Monday - Friday. Then the weekends its something with an egg, usually a homemade egg mcmuffin as others do.

irishgreengables
09-20-2005, 09:46 AM
breakfast is always steel cut oats, sweetened with concentrated cherry juice, blueberries, and a bit of slivered almonds. Lunch is usually beans and rice and a fruit.

TakinBabySteps
09-20-2005, 10:13 AM
It depends on how I'm feeling. Some days I have to force myself to eat breakfast since I've never been a big breakfast eater. So I'll have a piece of cheese & some V8. On days that I'm hungry for breakfast, a couple of slices of bacon & a boiled egg.

For lunch, I have to keep the variety going so I don't get bored, unlike my husband, who likes to eat the same thing every day. So I'll have a choice of 2 or 3 things. This week, it's roast beef sandwiches & turkey pitas. I also usually have a salad & some fruit mid afternoon.

newfiedarling
09-20-2005, 10:27 AM
For me breakfast is the same everyday (I just started eating it a couple of months ago and I haven't ventured into a full menu plan yet) is always a banana, yogurt and a coffee.

For lunch it could be anything.

~Dee

synger
09-20-2005, 11:27 AM
Weekday breakfasts, which I take to work, are usually:

a handful of nuts before my commute

a little cup of cottage cheese or yogurt or a lowfat string cheese (for protein)
and a piece of fruit

weekend breakfasts are usually:

kashi go lean
or buttered toast
or eggs

Lunches during the week I buy at the cafeteria. They have a cold sandwich station, a grill, a hot bar, a soup and salad bar, a pizza bar, and most days a station where you can get a chicken or beef caesar salad made special for you. I usually start at the hot bar each day, and try to choose lean meat (turkey or fish) and two or three veggies, if they have them. when all they have is "wings day", I go for soup, or a grilled cheese and mushroom sandwich, or if nothing else appeals, a slice of veggie pizza. If they have good soup, I'll get a container of that and take it back to my desk. Often it's just what I need about an hour or so after lunch.

DishyFishy
09-20-2005, 12:18 PM
I tend to alternate between two breakfasts:
1 cup Nature's Path Optimum Slim cereal with 1 oz raisins and ½ cup 0% milk
Shake made with banana (and sometimes other fruit), ½ cup plain yogurt, ¼ cup 0% milk, crushed ice, & vanilla extract

Lunch has usually been something like 2 or 3 oz lean baked ham with Phili Light on whole-grain bread, or 3 sushi maki rolls. I try to have a good selection of salad/raw veggies with whatever I choose. I'll probably start making big pots of lentil and veggie soup now that the weather's turning colder, so that'll be on the menu quite a bit too.

barbygirl43
09-20-2005, 05:03 PM
For breakfast I either have a bowl of oatmeal with artificial sweetener or make an egg/egg white omelet. I find that both of those meals will last me longer. Then a couple of hours later will have a morning snack of yogurt, fresh fruits or veggies, v-8 juice, small bag of popcorn—something around 100 calories to tide me over until lunch.

Lunches--I'm still a convenience gal and stock up on chunky soups and have a low cal sandwich with it. I'll probably start alternating and adding healthy choice meals until I can find me some simple, quick and easy lunches that aren't going to cost me an arm and a leg to fix.

Gardenwife
09-20-2005, 05:23 PM
I'm a Kashi with frozen blueberries freak, too. Lunches are usually pretty simple around here, maybe a whole-grain tortilla with tuna salad or turkey and cheese. Like Howie said, it just depends on what we've got and what we're in the mood for. He works nights, so the only meal we eat independently is supper.

Those of you who eat steel-cut oats...How do you cook them? I know the directions, but I have a terrible time finding a container which won't let them boil over in the microwave. Do they work better on the stove?

kykaree
09-21-2005, 02:45 AM
I have organic porridge (oatmeal) with berries (or peaches or pears) every morning.

For lunch I usually use our work cafeteria, which is cheap and healthy. They have healthy options every day and a salad bar. Sometimes I have salmon and salad, or soup with a bread roll, it varies. I always have lots of veggies.

At home on a weekend our main meal on a Sunday is lunch, and we normally go out for a traditional Sunday roast. For the two of us it's almost cheaper than me making it (meat is very expensive here)

YP1
09-21-2005, 01:18 PM
I'm having fruity porridge every morning at the moment, and every lunchtime pretty much I have mixed bean chilli with fruit and yoghurt. I tend to get into a food rut because I'm fairly unimaginative, but I like it because it's one less thing I have to think about when I'm shoving everything in my bag in the morning on the way to the gym.

At weekends I mix it up a bit more, but then I don't tend to eat as well at the weekend so it's maybe not the best example ;)

boiaby
09-21-2005, 02:13 PM
I HAVE to have my Kashi Go Lean Crunch! I'm completely addicted to it! But if I absolutely have to choose something else, then it's oatmeal with cinnamon and sweetner and a veggie filled egg white omelet. YUMMERS!

Lunch is almost always a huge salad with chicken breast and tons of veggies and and a yogurt.

And, as always, LOTS of coffee! :coffee:

Beverly