100 lb. Club - Today

View Full Version : Today

barbygirl43
09-19-2005, 06:23 PM
How many of us have said today is the day? and we start off on a new plan or restart our old one. Next thing we know we're back to promising ourselves today is the day.
I would be a rich woman if I got paid for every time I said that. Over the weekend I finally realized that I'm staring at my "big" picture and not taking time to live in today. I look back over my past and what I could've done better and I look to the future and what I plan on doing never really taking the time to live in today.

My eating has been so out of whack lately and I've gained 10 pounds in the last month or so I decided that I have to do something different. Yesterday I only had v-8, a creamed soup and lots and lots of water. Then I ate dinner. Today I am also only having liquids and I'm learning to pay attention to my hunger cues. I've been mindlessly eating, overeating and binging for so long I couldn't tell you the last time I felt hunger pains. I've been eating for the sake of eating.

Today it has been tough but not because I was physically hungry. When the coworkers went to get their food I almost heated up my can of soup so I could have food. Was I hungry? Nope. I drank me another cup of v-8 and crocheted more on my son's afghan. I found that if I keep my hands busy I'm not thinking about food as much.

This morning I made it through all 3 miles of the WATP for abs tape. I wasn't winded at all and could've carried on a conversation and went for another 3 miles. Last month I was struggling to get through just 1 mile of the tape. I guess i truly didn't give my body time to heal and it showed. Instead of thinking maybe it's time to heal I went on an all out binge of whatever food you could imagine and had seconds to boot. Back to my walk. I kept thinking of all these great things I could do tomorrow, next week, next month, by halloween, etc. and I made myself stop all of those thoughts and instead focus on what I'm doing today. That's it.

I guess Sandi and I had about the same type of thinking over the weekend that it's time to focus on the here and now and not worry about what we want in the future. So that is my new plan. I will only worry about today.

Of course I'll be planning for tomorrow tonight. :D

Gardenwife
09-19-2005, 06:47 PM
Sounds like a plan, Dawnyal. :)

famograham
09-19-2005, 07:11 PM
Sounds really good Dawnyal :)

Looks like we're having a lot of revelations around here this week...it's wonderful!

xoxoxo
Linda

Sheila53
09-19-2005, 10:32 PM
Good for you, Dawnyal!

Jenaya
09-19-2005, 11:03 PM
Good for you Dawnyal. One day at a time (or minute if need be)....

howie6267
09-19-2005, 11:50 PM
You can do it Dawnyal. We have all started over a hunderd times like you said. The thing is maybe start 101 is the one that sticks. So keep trying and you will do it. Never give up.

mezmerize
09-20-2005, 12:43 AM
Dawnyal, what a wonderful insight. Your doing great with WATPs! Thanks for sharing.

taekwondomom
09-20-2005, 02:58 AM
That's sounds like a good plan! Work on today and tomorrow takes care of itself. :)
Good work on the WATP!

tuckytex
09-20-2005, 04:19 AM
Hi Dawnyal and everyone

Good for you for having such a good realization. I lost 67 pounds once and gained it all back because I let myself get back into my old habits and I think it is great that you realized now, and can now manage yourself. I wish I could be were you are in your weightloss! Hopefully I get there too I am so jealous of you!
Danica

jmacway
09-20-2005, 08:50 AM
Good for you!

ChocLabLover
09-20-2005, 09:50 AM
I would be a rich woman if I got paid for every time I said that.

Amen to that! ;) I have always said that I could retire if I was paid everytime I said I am starting over. So much so, that I do not bother telling anyone when I have decided to lose weight, because I do not want them to judge or think "here we go again". Not that everyone does, but sometimes you can't help feeling that way after all the previous times. :)

irishgreengables
09-20-2005, 10:11 AM
It is so painful when we comb over all the times we started and stopped and started again. I used to hate listening to the Dr. Phil's of the world tell us that there was some reason we were keeping the weight on -- it had some payoff for us. Then I realized, the Dr. Phils are right and we just have to come to a point where losing the weight is more important than the payoff for being overweight. For me, it came when I realized that, during my overweight adult life, I have always been active. It was never TRULY important to lose weight for health because I have always been fat and fit. But, after 3 children in 11 months (2 older through adoption) and hitting 35, my body betrayed me and it becamse tough being fat. SO, the day I realized it was harder to be fat than to lose weight was the day I said goodbye to the payoff.

I wonder if you might be at that point, where you are realizing that the payoff is no longer one that makes losing weight seem so awful? It sounds like that is what is happening. I encourage you, besides all the great things you are already ding, to journal this journey from here out (blog perhaps?). It helps a lot.

activeadventurer
09-20-2005, 10:57 AM
Great insights Dawnyal and Irishgreengables.

And congratulations Dawnyal on the WATP. It took me about 4 months to work up to 3 miles and I do it sitting down!!! :D

One of the things your post reminded me about, is to continue to struggle against food as reward, punishment, denial, freedom, release etc. etc. and see it for what it truly is...nourishment.

Thanks, DCM

Jen415
09-20-2005, 10:59 AM
Wow, another great post!! Thanks for opening my eyes!

newfiedarling
09-20-2005, 01:28 PM
Excellent post Dawnyal! Of course, you're absolutely right.

~Dee

dragonwoman64
09-20-2005, 01:29 PM
Good for you, Dawnyal. :)

I've lost and gained and lost and gained....

I figure with each diet, Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers, I did learn something, I did change my habits, I did spend time thinking about why I wanted to eat so much more than I needed to. So, it's not starting again from scratch each time, it's an ongoing learning process.

It's not like I'm perfect now, I overeat, have weeks where I don't lose or even gain, poop out occassionally with the exercise. It's gotten easier, and I'm seeing results more consistently. I figure I just have to keep plugging away at it, that's not so bad. :)

Amanda Panda
09-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Good for you Dawnyal - it is by this approach (more or less) that I have finally made a dent in my weight and lost 50lb. Before this, I spent my whole adult life losing 5lb, then gaining 10lb etc.

I had no 'lightbulb moment' this time - I did nothing really different - other than take it one day at a time and 1lb at a time. When I found myself getting dragged in to looking at the big picture , which completely overwhelmed and deflated me (and it still does) - I bring myself back to pressing on with the day at hand and working towards my mini targets of 7lb.It was only when I'd lost 30lb or so that I actually started believing myself that I can do this! It is this attitude of pressing forward and not looking beyond the day, or maybe the week that I can attribute to my success. Now I know that I am going to do this!

Good luck to you Dawnyal - I'll be cheering you on! You can do it!

Love Amanda x

barbygirl43
09-20-2005, 05:46 PM
Thanks all for the encouragement. Today is going well too. I did the 4 mile WATP super challenge. I wanted to give up after 2 miles but told myself that I wasn't really tired and was still breathing well that I needed to finish it and I did. I love that last mile no matter how many miles you do because you start slowing down. :D

DishyFishy
09-20-2005, 05:48 PM
Great post, Dawnyal! You're bang on the money with what you wrote about living in the here and now. :yes:

artist
09-20-2005, 07:09 PM
Thanks for sharing your insight Dawnyal - and for hanging in there, and 'starting over' that one more time, and not giving up. I too am at that 'one day at a time' stage. So I am just taking it one day at a time, one meal at a time, and somehow that makes it easier. Good job, too on the exercise front - the progress you have made is really impressive.

Jillegal
09-20-2005, 10:13 PM
I'm so happy you've found your own way to get the job done, Dawnyal. Best of luck and keep us informed! You go girl!! :cb:

Sandi
09-20-2005, 11:35 PM
Was there something in the air this weekend?

Dawnyal...there is so much insight in the words you wrote. All it takes is one time to get it right. This is your time. They say that exercise is the key to permanent weight loss. You found your key girl!!!!