Weight and Resistance Training - LWL #220 Sept 13 - Sept 18

View Full Version : LWL #220 Sept 13 - Sept 18

Mel
09-12-2005, 06:18 AM
Good morning LWL :sunny:
Why does working feel different from working out? I spent about 7 hours yesterday shoveling and raking dirt in the backyard and am SORE :p I was so tired I was near tears by the time we finally finished our terraforming project. That grass better grow!

Thanks for the pep talk/butt kicking Ellen and Tiki. I think I'm done.

Another thing I did yesterday before the "fun with dirt" was to resurrect my old Nordic Track. I haven't used it in ages. It's still a hard cardio workout :o

Gotta scoot. Have a good day!

Mel

tikanique
09-12-2005, 09:06 AM
Hiya all,

Its a Monday! I'm tired already. Went to bed way too late but still got up and to the gym for Chest and Tris. I didn't feel like my usual cardio so instead I finished working on the cheer from yesterday for about 25 minutes. Housework tonite and hopefully early to bed.

NEXT!!!!!

Tiki.

Ilene
09-12-2005, 09:28 AM
Legs!! and clean eats....

:coach:''LET'S BE CAREFUL OUT THERE'' :coach:

'nuf said :lol:

2frustrated
09-12-2005, 09:40 AM
Tiki - I am totally with you on the Monday morning blues! :lol:

I've not woken up yet and it's 2.30pm over here!

Snap Ilene, legs for me too tonight! That and the dreaded BK (not to be confused with KB or indeed burger king!). I'm also gonna bake me up a batch of protein muffins to keep my mitts off the gingerbread men in Tesco!

Doing ok foodwise so far... think my indulgences over the weekend are still filling me up! Weigh in day on Friday so I'd better be good this week! :D

MrsDawsondn
09-12-2005, 03:24 PM
hello guys I know I don't post much but I still stop byu every now and then. this morning my body was ready for some serious cardio! I woke up at 5:30am can couldn't go back to sleep...luckily I found the energy to force myself back to sleep LOL *smh* I just got back from a great workout. I purchased a vinyl jump rope from target for $1.60 and jumped for about 5-10 minutes got on the stairmaster for 20 minutes and did 3 sets of 8 dips and 1 set of pushups! Man this past week I was in consecration and couldn't work out and I feel so much better now but doing those reps were killing me. Nonetheless my endorphins are just doing their own thang and I love feel energized!

srmb60
09-12-2005, 09:17 PM
I did upper body out of shear boredom this evening. But I'm struggling a bit with eating. I've upped my exercise quite a bit and I'm always hungry. My cals are up but my percentages aren't too bad. I ate more red meat today than usual, dratted fat!

So I've come to the computer to dwiddle in time until CSI: Miami comes on. I shouldn't have to go back downstairs for anything. No, no, no

LKTS
09-13-2005, 12:22 AM
Hey all - back from the boy's bday and parental visit doom; ate pretty well and spent most of the time doing gardening and such, so I know how you feel, Mel. Hope the yard looks better! We have an apple tree in our backyard that yields a ton of apples each year. We're renters so I've never really known what to do w/ all of them. My mom gets a bee in her bonnet and borrows a friend's food strainer/mill and brings it out for the visit with her. So we cooked down apples, strained them, and canned about 10 quarts of applesauce and apple butter. I think it should count as less calories since I spent so much making it all! :lol:

Best wishes for a calm and lovely week to everyone. I'm trying to deal with the fall "let's rearrange all the fitness class schedules" time without freaking out (I'm such a control freak!).

2frustrated
09-13-2005, 04:00 AM
Did LBW last night and managed one more set of split squats than last week! :D Hopefully the soreness will be better this week too! Missed out my back kicks and my calf raises. I was absolutely trashed and needed an early night!

Kickboxing tonight, so hopefully will see a proper improvement with the BKs if I concentrate hard enough!

4rabbit
09-13-2005, 07:34 AM
Hi LWL,

Mel -I hope things are working out for you !

Great news: the scales moved down for the 2nd week runnin. So I'll keep up the magic recipe: 7 hours excercise per week & clean eats.

Yesterday I did 25 mins run outside and UBW.
Today I did 1 h 40 mins bike ride. As my bike got stuck in the heaviest gear, and my brake got stuck as well this was no fun. I'll take it to the bikeshop & get spare parts before I 'll attempt this again. I am totally shredded.

Have a great day all,
rabbit

2frustrated
09-13-2005, 05:05 PM
Okay... Just had to post (even though I'm talking to myeslf :lol: )

Tonight I was talking to my kickboxing instructor about the website that I'm building for him and he suddenly says, "What do you want from this?" (oooer missus...) "Do you want to teach?" And initiallly I thought, well no I never had the intention to learn in order to teach but I said, "Yeah! I want black belts! Cos I used to be really fat and lazy but now I'm loving this!" and he offered me the chance to do a "fast-track" black belt course! :faint: WOW! My dedication has not gone un-noticed! He made the point that I must be dedicated cos I ride 100 extra miles a week for kickboxing classes! :D

Happy day! :hyper:

Edit: Did 3 sets of split squats last night (only managed 2 sets last week), didn't feel sick and don't need the crane to get off the loo! :rofl:

Ilene
09-13-2005, 06:36 PM
2F -- Your posts crack me up sometimes... They sound as :hyper: hyper as your avatar!

Today I ran 6k and went shopping with my mom for a bathing suit, got a nice Speedo for my swimming lessons tomorrow...

Sashenka
09-13-2005, 07:10 PM
Hi,

2F - I am also always laughing when reading your posts!

MeL - I was thinking about you when I was mowing my lawn with push mower yesterday - we have a fire in the city in the bog, so the smell is afwul and no wind - of course, my grass was so high that I could not possibly wait a day - so I was working hard inspite of bad asthma attack due to the ashes in the air! Today I felt my upper body!

Workouts are indoors - still doing 20 min cardio first thing in the morning, and did UBW later on today in the gym!

Cheers,
Sandy.

mscelica
09-13-2005, 07:30 PM
Just wondered how many of you do cardio on Leg Day??? I usually do, although not real intense, but today I opted out and will do power walking tomorrow (I live in a very hilly area). I've just been so tired lately, so thought I'd back down on the intensity of my workout schedule just a tad. I just took 3 days off from the gym and came back yesterday feeling much stronger and ready to go!

Today I had a date with Mr. Smith for the first time -- lunges and squats.

Luanne

Mel
09-13-2005, 09:00 PM
Luanne- Usually on leg day I only do a half an hour treadmill walk or moderate elliptical, if that. I've switched my leg day to Mondays tho, which is the only day that my favorite spin instructor lead a class. I'm going to try to do both next week. Spin at noon, then legs at 3pm! If I can crawl to my computer, I'll let you know how it goes :p

Ugh, rabbit, that doesn't sound like a fun ride! Good thing it's relatively flat where you live.

2F- Nice to know your dedication is paying off!

Long day today. Lots of clients, then took my not-so-darling son to the dentist. His braces came off yesterday and now I get to pay for seven fillings. Open mouth, shovel in money.... Then back to the gym for more clients. Somewhere in there I did a chest workout and brief cardio.

Mel

Ilene
09-13-2005, 09:53 PM
Mel -- Dang but those kid's teeth are expensive aren't they? We have one down, one to go...

Luanne -- On Leg day I sometimes bike or do something easy, but I don't run, well, I may have put a run in there once but it was very hard on the knees...

Sandy -- Your asthma sounds bad, hope you feel better soon...

WaterRat
09-14-2005, 01:52 AM
Luanne - I sometimes do cardio on legs days - not today though. Had to get home and mow while (a) it was still dry (it's rained 6 of the last 7 days!) and (b) before it got dark. It was dang cold when I finished too! (~50 F) But seriously, I usually do an easy cardio when I do legs, i.e. not as long and/or intense as when I do upper body or - gasp - just cardio (dread those days :) )

Sandy - I got a riding mower for Father's Day year 2003 :lol: DH is not a father, and he's seldom seen on the machine, but whatever! It's great though, but still takes me 1.5-2 hours to do our half+ acre of grass. Can't imagine ever doing it with a push mower again!

Have fun swimming tomorrow Ilene.

2frustrated
09-14-2005, 04:07 AM
Oooh cardio on leg days.. I might end up doing it. Lacrosse starts next Monday and Monday is a leg day, so I think I'll do legs 6am then wind down with lacrosse training at 9pm. (9pm... what time is that to hold a training session???) If it's too crackers, I'll swap my leg day to Friday, although legs might be best to do in the morning cos it's the shortest workout of my split! I guess you'll have to suck it and see!

I have brought porridge (sorry oatmeal) to work with me today, cos I thought it would be cold, but my 4 layers must be doing the trick so far! Perhaps the Deep Heat is keeping me warm too! I happened to "twang" something in my neck/shoulder this morning doing absolutely nothing! :doh: I'm rather annoyed about that cos it really hurts and I have the "push" session of my split to do tonight! :dz:

Glad to amuse everyone :joker:

Ilene - just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming, swimming..... ;)

4rabbit
09-14-2005, 07:42 AM
hi LWL,

Mel - Wow, 7 fillings ! Is this because a brace makes it hard to brush your teeth ??? I never heard of this side effect to a brace before ! I hope things are working out for you. Please take time for an occasional cup of water & a couple of deep breaths...

Ilene - how was the swimming ?

Pat - Half an acre of grass? That would be around 1400sqm? That is the size of out entire garden, which is considered huge in this country. We have a powered mower too.

Today I did 25 min stationary bike, 10 mins row and LBW. I brought my normal bike to the bike repair shop.

have a great day,
rabbit

Mel
09-14-2005, 01:47 PM
Back and cardio done :)
Rabbit- Ds has terrible teeth to start with. When he was two years old, the enamel fell off most of his baby molars and he had all his back baby teeth capped :( Don't know why...he was never bottle fed, never given juice, I was the ultimate human cow. So part of the problem is he just has congenitally bad teeth. But braces make it harder to brush and floss and he wasn't really diligent about it. It was the cause of many nights of battling and yelling in our house.

2F- A lax player too! I don't play, but used to coach and ref. My dd played through university and played for the Canadian National Team in the Women's International Cup in High Wycombe in 2001. Your team beat us for the bronze ;) Here it's a spring sport. 9pm does seem pretty late for practice. I'd never be able to see the ball!

Off to clean my dump...oops, house. I had 2 clients cancel this afternoon so I have no excuses.

Mel

2frustrated
09-14-2005, 02:28 PM
I think the pitch will be floodlit (hopefully) since it's going dark at about 7pm over here! :rofl: We used to play at girls' school and it was always autumn then spring term and rounders in the summer!

Thinking I might take a night off weights tonight - neck is still odd and I'm feeling lazy! Might wallow in the bath or catch a dvd or something!

2frustrated
09-15-2005, 03:57 AM
Well.... I did lift some weights - bench press (10lbs :lol: - usually 15lbs) standing dumbell press (10lbs - usually 12.5lbs) and tricep press (10lbs usually 10lbs!). I think I was just too lazy to faff about with the plates!

Then we went for a walk to Blockbuster and Tesco and got a DVD and some chocolate and SF lemonade!

Had a late night so I was snappy this morning! Hopefully I'll not be too bad this evening for double trouble! I've got my red bull ready! :rofl:

4rabbit
09-15-2005, 07:10 AM
Hi Mel,

Thanks for the input. 2 kids of a friend of mine got no enamel at all on their teeth. Did not have it on the baby teeth, and don't have it on their permanent teeth. It is a continuous battle to keep those teeth in shape, and they will have to have "crowns" was it is called here, probabely the same as "caps". Teeth material is removed untill a cone remains and a ceramic new teeth is cemented on top of this. But this can only be done when they have all their permanent teeth, so in the meantime they are on no candy or sugarfree candy, water or milk for drinking, and teethbrushing everywhere.

Sounds like your son has something like it, having bad quality enamel or something like that. In my friends case though this had nothing to do with environmental factor like mother milk or juice, only with bad genetic luck.

On the other hand there was a piece in the paper the other day that especialy cola like soda drinks have both high acid and high sugar content, and dentists here see an incredible amount of tooth decay in kids that drink a lot of those. It is compared here to liquid candy, but it actually seems to be worse for your teeth!

rabbit

srmb60
09-15-2005, 11:27 AM
I did some ab and mid and lower back things last night. Neglected areas for me. It felt good.

srmb60
09-15-2005, 03:32 PM
Calves, hams, glutes and a few squats thrown in. I'm not sure why weights is the first thing to go when I don't have time. I really enjoy it.

Mel
09-15-2005, 08:11 PM
LOL, Susan, for me the dreaded cardio is the first thing to go. I'l lift for a few hours to avoid half an hour of cardio :p If only it were interchangeable!

Shoulders and a couple of brief cardio sessions today.

I got my hair cut and my stylist scrunched it dry. Now I have ringlets :( She says it's "very Nicole Kidman". I think I look like I got caught in the rain.

Mel

Ilene
09-15-2005, 10:41 PM
I bet you're a doll Mel ;) !!

2frustrated
09-16-2005, 03:43 AM
;) I'm a curly girl too! I HATE hairdressers with a passion though!

:tantrum: I weighed this morning (monthly weigh in) :tantrum: I have STAYED THE SAME weight wise, but my BF% has gone UP! :tantrum: :tantrum: :cry:

I don't know what to do? I couldn't be working out more... I'm eating ok, varying cals between 1400-1700 on week days and taking the weekends "off". I'm trying to only have one "off" day but it depends what we're doing :dunno:

Maybe my lax practice will burn more off...

Most annoying thing is, I'd lost 1lb two weeks ago. HUMPH! :mad:

4rabbit
09-16-2005, 04:59 AM
Hi LWL,

Mel - You probabely look great. Wet ?? Would that be sweat dripping from your brow or something ??

2F - Don't be to upset, how much did your BF go up ? Is this not just a measurement error ? As far as I know these scale numbers are influenced by a lot of things: how sweaty yout feet are, how much hydrated you are ... How do you do on the pantsometer?? (can you still zip those tight trousers that started to fit ? Are your pants tight or not ?)

Today I ran outside for 1 hour. Scales did not go down but i seem to be holding my ground on last weeks weight loss.

Have a great day,
rabbit

2frustrated
09-16-2005, 05:22 AM
*sigh* I know they're not just the only measurement! It's just dissapointing! I feel slimmer and tighter! :lol: The pants are fitting nicely! I'm liking my new once a month weigh in - now I only get :censored: off once a month rather than every day! :lol:

I had a look at my bf% from last month and it's actually down 0.1% from last month but up 0.5% from a fortnight ago! I'm thinking last fortnight's was a crackers reading! :dizzy:

I'll be ok, looking forward to the weekend. I am going to plan a nice hike out in the country for tomorrow! Hooray!

Sashenka
09-16-2005, 12:23 PM
Hi,

Mel ~ funny about your hair! I had the same haircut since I was a teen and one day while having hard PMS I asked my hair dresser to cut hair short. NOBODY recognized me at work! It took me 2 years to grow my hair up to shoulder length. Funnily enough, since my face looks REAALY round when hair cut is very short, it pushed me to do something about it and I started to LOOSE weight.

Susan ~ I LOVE weights. Sometimes I catch myself trying to skip warm up so that I am not doing any treadmill or bike - so that I can do weights! Bad habit, I am almost over it, but still sometimes I wish the life without cardio!

2F - join the team! After month of august when I had my mountain biking 100km event as well as triathlon I thought I will be lighter OR at least have less fat! I am still 4pounds more than I was in July and by BF is the SAME!!! I am so mad! I watch what I eat, I exercise, I started to do cardio 5 times/week every morning - the scale did not move though! What is worse in my case - my pants ARE tighter!!! Like I can do 100ds of crunches but my mid-section is tight in my jeans! My legs are tight too, as I started to feel that my jackets are getting tighter! It is very frustrating!

This week was great exercise wise but not in results :( Did cardio every morning, did UBW on Tuesday, did legs yesterday and still feel them. WIll go for 5K run today during lunch!

srmb60
09-16-2005, 12:35 PM
For me, it used to be cardio ... now it's weights. If I ever get this all in sync ....

I'm growing my hair back out too. It was fun to have a pixie cut for a while but I miss being able to swick it all back into a nice tidy tail. Mine's stick straight btw. I can make it wavey if .... in the shower I comb the conditioner thru it and don't towel dry, no blower, just scrunch ... just wait .... not practical! I'm still soggy hours later!

srmb60
09-16-2005, 04:22 PM
Today I did upper body. I tried chin-ups again. I can't find the old post but it was probably either Dec or Jan. I couldn't do it. My husband even hung me up there and I just sort of melted down ward.
Today ... I could pull myself part way up and if I started at the top I could hang there or slowly lower myself down.
A little progress!
Fear not your weinie little woman arms, my sista's ... there is light at the end of the tunnel!

4rabbit
09-17-2005, 06:03 AM
Hi LWL,

Sashenka - Even though you feel your jeans are tight you still look great in the triathlon pictures! AND you actually DID these miles and triathlon too! How is the astma doing ?

Today I ran 1 hour outside, in the sun, with my 11 year old daughter. She was on hetr bike. it was fun.

rabbit

kykaree
09-17-2005, 03:46 PM
I have been missing in action!!! And action it has been!!! I have taken to walking before work, I leave at 6 and walk until 7.30 then catch my train to work! Lets hope the pounds start disappearing again. Not that I will know, as I have given up weighing myself weekly and doing it monthly!

My gym instructor re did my program two weeks ago, and boy is it better. It flows now, where before it felt like a bunch of random exercises. He has gotten to know my strength and weaknesses now, and this one really makes me work! I am pleased with my progress and I have muscles poking from underneath the fat!!! LOL. I get my bi-monthly measurements done this week, so we'll see how much change there has been.

Sorry I haven't been around, looking forward to catching up on how everyone is doing.

LKTS
09-17-2005, 06:20 PM
Susan, congrats on the pullup progress. That's wonderful! I haven't tried to do a pullup in years (wish our gym had an assisted thingie) but I'd like to be Linda Hamilton someday :)

4rabbit
09-18-2005, 07:01 AM
Hi LWL,

Kykaree - glad to see you bak

Susan - a pullup... that is awesome. I have never tried this, but I am going to now.

Today I ran outside for 40 minutes and did 10 minutes of stretching. This means i have met my target of 7 hours excercise for this week.

Have a great weekend.
rabbit

kykaree
09-18-2005, 09:16 AM
I've just started using the assisted pull up thingie. The gym instructor made me get on it, but he forgot to change the weight, he had it set for him, instead of me!!! He was most impressed I made the weight move, I could have killed him though!!! We had to laugh, because you set the weight in kilos the same as your own weight to start with, I am still 95 kilos, and the machine only goes up to 75. I laughed and laughed as my gym instructor got more and more embarrassed, luckily for him he is too dark to blush!!!!! I said "you keep forgetting how fat I am"!!! I live to make him embarrassed. Like the time he put me on the hip abductor, and looke dme in the eye and said "can you spread your legs a bit wider for me" I managed to curtail my giggles long enough to say "it's a long time since a man said that to me", poor us, it took us ages to regain our composure!!!

2frustrated
09-18-2005, 03:41 PM
:lol: Kyk can I borrow your gym instructor!?

I did it laydees! I got through my weekend with just one "day off"! Although today I had pie... but it's all within calories! (I figure getting the ratios right can take a rest for both days!)

Going to have an early night tonight, getting up at 6am for weights-before-work so I can go to Lacrosse without being too pooped!

I am off to read Vogue and dream about lovely clothes!

:D

Ilene
09-18-2005, 08:27 PM
Kika -- Welcome back your gym antics made me laugh, poor guy...!!

SusanB -- That's very good that you were able to do a pull-up, I have a diffult time doing them too, I can barely manage 2... When your husband hung you up there and you ''melted down'' -- I like that it's a very good description -- they are called ''negatives'' , One instructor at the gym said that it was good to start with negatives, like the one you did... So keep practicing by doing a few of those on back days and eventually you will be able to do pull-ups...