WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2001, 04:39 PM   #1  

Question Banking points

I just started WW this week and am doing it from home. I did the program about 10 years ago and lost over 100lbs but it has changed a bit since then. I have a copy of the materials for the 123 Sucess plan but have a question about banking points. If you eat in the middle of your daily range, can you bank the points up to the top of the range? For example, if my range is 26-33 and I eat 30 points, can I bank 3 points? Also, is there a limit to the number of banked points you can use at one time?

I heard that there were some changes with the new Winning Points program this year, did the ranges for points change? Did any food values change significantly?

Thanks for any info.
Old 06-14-2001, 05:57 PM   #2  

Hi Kelianne,
To answer your question, yes you can bank those 3 pts, and you can only use 10 banked points per day. And you should use the banked points in the week that you earn them.
Old 06-15-2001, 07:36 AM   #3  

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-15-2001, 09:01 AM   #4  

The ranges of points went down by 2 for each group. Also, you can only count 4 grams of fiber per serving for things, so depending on what you're eating, your point values could have changed significantly (for example, if you eat lots of high fiber cereals and whole grain foods). HOWEVER - when Winning Points came out, most WW leaders told their folks that if they were having success on the old program and losing at a satisfactory rate for them, not to worry about it and continue to do the old program -
Old 06-15-2001, 09:07 AM   #5  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Angry

Kelianne,
Winning POints is different from 123 Success in a couple of minor ways.
1. The top range in points is down two. For example, mine used to be 24-31. WP is 24-29.
2. Exercise pays off right away so you can earn those top two points back.
3. Fiber caps at 4 points even if a food item has 8 or 9grams/ serving.
4. Carrots, onions and jicama at a cupful a serving now count as 1 point.

Some people have found that WP speeds their weight loss. Others have gone back to 123 Success. Great thing is that personal choice is important. Other thing is that my WW instructor says if the previous program was working for you, don't change it.
Good luck on your weight loss.
234/215/thinner
Old 06-15-2001, 09:20 AM   #6  

I am not surprised about the points values being added to carrots and onions. I spent the past 18 months eating low carb (lost 50lbs in 6 months and then took 8 months to lose another 12 then just up and down since then) Carrots actually have a higher glycemic index than table sugar meaning that they raise your blood sugar faster than sugar. Onions are also pretty high in carbs for a small serving.

I really enjoyed low carb for how it made me feel and I was never really hungry but I just stopped losing weight. I was hoping to jump start the losses again with WW but boy was I HUNGRY yesterday even eating 32 points. I hope my body will adjust soon.

280/240 low carb/160
240/240/160 WW (WW lifetime member)
Old 06-15-2001, 09:32 AM   #7  

Kelianne - If you liked the higher protein approach but still want to use weight watchers, you may want to join us in the Lite Carbs with Weight Watchers area under the low carb section. Several of us are finding that approach helpful in keeping full and more satisified and staying within our point range. It's covered in the new Winning Points Week 6 book, or if you have a library that carries old magazines, the January 2001 issue had several articles on the new approach. It's what convinced me to give WW another try and I'm down 15.7 pounds since starting -
Old 06-19-2001, 08:05 PM   #8  

Lightbulb

Kellianne -

I love the idea of banking points and if I didn't eat at the top of my range 18-23 anyhow, I'd use the points for the weekend when my resolve tends to weaken.

But what I found really helps me is the excercise. I joined a group of walkers and go to a track once a week, for a full hour we walk our little hearts out and PRESTO!!! I've just earned 5 points.

One thing I'm wondering Gals... can I use those activity points anytime during the week? Or only on the day I "earn and burn" them?

I love the new WW 123 program, I joined 13 years ago and kept it off for three and lost it for 6. I've been lifetime now for 4 years, and yes I've had to get back to basics to lose 13 lbs I've gained but, it really does work and I've lost 3 lbs over the past two weeks.
Old 07-01-2001, 08:18 AM   #9  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs down

Patch30,
Your activity points can be used on the day you earn them or banked and used anytime during the next 7 days.
Way to go with losing the weight and keeping it off! Thanks for the inspiration.

234/211/thinner
Old 07-02-2001, 08:53 AM   #10  

I exercise quite a bit but I try not to use the earned points if I can. I am a little confused however, I thought you earned 1 point for every 20 minutes of exercise.....how do you get 5 points from an hour of walking Patch30? At 20 minutes per point, isn't that just 3 points or am I wrong about how much you get? I haven't been to a meeting in years, so I am just getting my info online and would appreciate knowing for sure.

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2001, 11:00 AM   #11  

Well, I guess the simpliest answer to that is that, like when calculating food points on the slide they give you, calculating exercise points is also based on 3 different variables.

First there's the level of intensity (light, moderate, high). Secondly there's the length of time you work out for, and lastly there's your weight. Two different people could do 1 hour of the same intensity of activity, but come out with a different points value based on the third factor - their weight.

I think the 1 pt per 20 mins is a very general guideline. Also like with figuring out food points, it's always more accurate to use the activity points slide to figure out your own individual points earned based on those 3 factors. The 1 pt per 20 mins simply doesn't take all the factors into consideration.

Christine
Old 07-02-2001, 11:12 AM   #12  

Kelianne - The 1 point for 20 minutes of activity was the rule on the original 123 plan (I think 3 years ago??) - if you don't have a slide rule (since you said you haven't been to a meeting in years) and you're losing weight counting 1 point for 20 minutes of whatever exercise you do, keep it up! You're doing fine! If you find (as you get closer to goal) that your weight loss slows or stops, you may need to increase the time you exercise or increase the intensity (which is what WW said in the old materials). Weight Watcher's just tries to improve the plan or change something every year to make it better based on what member and researcher say and I also think to try and shake things up a little and keep people motivated. And, it's also a good marketing technique to come out every year with the "new Weight Watchers". That doesn't mean that the old stuff doesn't work or is now "bad", and if it's working for you, why change it???
Old 07-06-2001, 01:16 PM   #13  

Hi there gals:

It's been a while since I signed on and just found out that I was asked a question re: 5 activity points / hr vs 1 pt /20 min.

Christine and Millie you are right on the money! Especially the part about duration versus intensity. Thanks for getting back to Kellieanne right away. When I excercise for an hour to "get" those 5 points, I'm doing it for a full hour at top intensity - racewalking. Since I've been racewalking for a few years, and I'm somewhat at goal, it takes more effort / intensity to earn the extra points.

There's a question I've got gals - regarding the points. If I've had a points week like below's example, and I'm keeping the top of my old range (18 - 25) - not the new program's 23.... can I use all of the points - banked and activity? Just not more than 10 points per any specific day?

Total banked: 8 Total Activity: 16

M - 19 4 banked, 5 Activity = 9
T - 23 2 banked = 2
W- 24 1 banked 2 Activity = 3
Th - 28 (3 Activity used to reduce to 25 pts)
F - 24 1 banked
Sa - 34 8 activity (used 9 Activity to reduce to 25)
Su - 36 1 Activity (used 8 banked and 2 activity to reduce to 26)

Thanks for any insight
Closed Thread