General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 12:04 AM   #1  

Default Spare Change for the Red Cross?

Hey everyone!

I was browsing another forum that I am on when I saw that someone posted that they read that you can take your spare change down to your local coinstar machine, and donate it to the Red Cross for the Disaster Relief fund for Katrina. If you are unfamiliar with the coinstar change machine then check out this link!
http://www.coinstar.com/us/html/a-home

Money is tight for all or atleast most of us I am sure but when I saw this thread I remembered that I had one of those change jars myself and decided that I would take it down to the Kroger up the road tomorrow to their coinstar machine and donate it. So, I emptied my coin jar, my ashtray in my car, my sisters ashtray in her car, and tomorrow I will empty the piggy bank on my desk at work. I know its not alot of money probobly but I figure atleast I would have done something and maybe more people will check it out and donate their spare change that they have lying around too!

So, I just wanted to pass on the info to my fellow lifestyle changers here!

Last edited by No, I'm Sweet Tea; 09-02-2005 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:39 PM   #2  

Well, I just donated my spare change through coinstar to the disaster relief fund for hurricane katrina. My total came to $55.19. Its not alot but atleast its something! In addition to that spare change, tonight I also donated a case of water and a huge bag of clothes! I feel good about that. I hope that alot more ppl will donate their spare change or clothes or whatever they can. I just wanted to share that with you guys!
Old 09-02-2005, 09:06 PM   #3  
it's always something

What a great idea! I would have never thought of that. Thanks
Old 09-03-2005, 12:56 AM   #4  

Sweet Tea (not) you are a lovely person. I have a feeling you needed that change for yourself. You are what true charity means, and you inspire us all. The amount given is not what matters. In spite of the frightening anarchy in NO, there are still people like you who know we ARE our brother's keepers. I am not a believer in any organized religion, but your generosity of spirit gives me hope for those who are. Let's all hope that goodness will prevail, everyone will be rescued, and that the inner-city impoverished will be given the education and help they need to have renewed hope and become productive members of society. Even if it means raising taxes for the more affluent.

And yes, I am a Canadian pinko lefty. And I believe in the innate kindness of human beings and our need to help one another.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:21 AM   #5  

Suzanne & carla - THANKS
Old 09-03-2005, 09:45 AM   #6  

Awesome idea! But my change jar is pethetic (sp?) and won't even buy a bottle of water. (A little humor in a sad/bad situation) I have never been good about stashing change.

Anyway, I am wondering a few things though! Where and how did you donate clothing and stuff like that? On tv I heard they are NOT taking any donations except for cash. They said to sell your items on ebay and then donate the cash I make. Well, I used to sell on ebay till they raised there prices to some high amount. So I don't do that anymore. And doing that does not help someone in need now! I would love to donate some of the clothes I have hear! I have some practically brand new kids clothes!! My kids just grew out of them to fast.

Also, do you know where you can donate a small amount of money? Most places want donations of $50.00 to $100.00 or more. All I can do is like $25.00 (and that is hard) right now. I would love to help, but I am not sure how.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:14 PM   #7  

Tracy, I just saw an excerpt from a Jerry Lewis interview: he's going to add the relief effort to his telethon, and suggests people give half of what they would normally give to the telethon to the relief. Maybe if you tune in to that you'll get more info on just how to donate. And $25 is a lot to someone with no water or food! If everyone donated $25, that would be one heck of a pile of money. I hope you'll find the way to donate the clothing too, as it's sorely needed.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:29 PM   #8  

Carla,

Thanks! I am going to do some checking! I should be able to find something somewhere to donate money and the clothes. I know my kids school is having a fundraiser... it is $1.00 (or more) a kid... which ads up... so I am going to do that too. I am sure I will find tons of different ways to donate cash, clothes, and maybe even some food. Thanks for the reply!
Old 09-03-2005, 01:52 PM   #9  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMunday
Where and how did you donate clothing and stuff like that? On tv I heard they are NOT taking any donations except for cash.
I just took three big bags of my old clothes to the Red Cross clothing drop bin near my supermarket. I wanted to put a note on it that said "Please send to the AstroDome!" but I'm just going to trust the clothes WILL get down there as this is obviously the Red Cross' priority.

Maybe you have one of these clothing drop sites near you? They look a bit like dumpsters, and they're usually near supermarkets, malls, etc. Also, even if you don't go to church (I don't) I'm sure that tomorrow morning churches all over the country will be starting clothing and food drives. You could call one in your area and ask how you can contribute via them.

Last edited by LovesBassets; 09-03-2005 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:04 AM   #10  

Hi Tracy,

Here in Savannah we had a huge thing that the radio stations in town held to gather all sorts of things for the relief. That is where I took the clothes. It was called the radio relief. By the end of the day they had filled 7 semi trucks to take! YAY! You may have to try and find something local like that or like Kate suggested!

As for donating in smaller portions, if you can't do the coinstar machine for spare change, you can call the American Red Cross here ---> 1-800 HELP NOW (1-800-435-7669.) and donate whatever amount that you can no matter how big or small!!

thanks for reading this thread everyone!
Old 09-04-2005, 10:31 AM   #11  

I have seen those things before when I lived in a large town. I will have to look around and see if there are any out here. I am not sure if there is or not. But I would think they would be all over.

We do not currently go to church. (Long story) But I think that is an excellent idea!! I will check that out too. Thanks.

Last edited by TMunday; 09-04-2005 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:36 AM   #12  

No I'm Sweet Tea,

That is awesome what your area did! I am sure in the big towns something was done like that here too! But I live a little over an hour away from a well populated (sp?) town. There are many pro's and many con's of living in the country.

But lots of good ideas! I am going to be checkings tons of stuff out. I got a few links from friends. There are more ways to help then I ever imagined.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:17 PM   #13  

Hi Tracy again! I feel like I'm chasing you all over the site!!

If you have a Walmart nearby, they are taking donations for the Salvation Army.

I also have heard them say not to send clothes and stuff. But take your stuff to the local SA/Goodwill/women's shelter etc. The poor will always be with us.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:30 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinahgirl
Hi Tracy again! I feel like I'm chasing you all over the site!!

If you have a Walmart nearby, they are taking donations for the Salvation Army.

I also have heard them say not to send clothes and stuff. But take your stuff to the local SA/Goodwill/women's shelter etc. The poor will always be with us.
Cool! I will have to run to Walmart sometime today or tomorrow. If they are not there anymore maybe there will be something going on at Kroger's grocery to help. I am sure there is something every where (major stores and stuff) for this. Our school is doing a fundraiser for it too. Hopefully we will see it make a difference soon.

You can chase me all you want!!! It is good exercise!!!
Closed Thread