PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 08-31-2005, 07:28 PM   #1  
banned

Question glucophage

can someone plz explain how it works?
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 05:10 AM   #2  

Smile Glugophage

The glucophage is used to control insulin, often given to diabetics. It is also known as Metformin. Basically, it reduces the glucose production by the liver and increases the uptake of glucose by the body. I have been diagnosed with PCOS about 3 years ago. Prior to that I had steadily gained weight for 10 years reguardless of determined efforts to lose. Once started on glucophage, I have been able to lose, albeit with great effort; and I do not gain when I am not exercising. Glucophage is offered in extended release which allows it to be taken just once a day instead of 3 times.
Rainy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 12:16 PM   #3  
banned

thanks so much!
Old 09-01-2005, 12:40 PM   #4  
kellyjoiii

S/C/G: 225/225/165

Height: 5'7"

andrea, It can also help you to concieve if you are trying by regulating your periods and helping your body to ovulate. It is how I was able to get pregnant with my second child (albiet it doesnt work for everyone) and it can be pretty nasty in the beginning with gastro problems- I recommend that if you start taking it.....try to cut down on your carbs a little and make sure you have a full belly when you take it. I have been on it (for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) for over four yrs.It can be taken while pregnant and nursing too. Good luck! I tend to think it has helped with diet and exercise....to help me lose weight too. I have finally hit the 100's after at least 6 yrs of being over 200 lbs. Ok, I am rambling....good luck!
kellyjoiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:07 PM   #5  
banned

thanks so much for the great info! thats great it helpred you lose! congrats!!! i have pcos also.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:03 PM   #6  
Recovering Cheeto Addict!

I am currently taking Metformin for PCOS and it does work good if you stay on a diet and excerise which is hard for me to do right now. It does have some nasty side effects for my anyways, but other then that its good.
LusciousJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 10:53 PM   #7  

I have a secret to if you're taking Metformin.. You can diet pretty well as long as you follow this.. This is what I use for my normal formula of eating.. For breakfast have 5 carb counts. A carb count = 15g carbs when looking at the nuitrien info on the side. 4 for Lunch and 4 counts for dinner also.. an then a 2 count small snack is helpful sometimes too... It works well and helps me to feel better when I follow this..
TwistedangelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 03:17 PM   #8  
Relaxation Master

I was on Glucophage about four years ago but I could not take the poopaloopas. It was awful. I have to stay and remain "present" at my job and have absolutely no way to get to the bathroom.I gave it a good try for a year but I, with my Endos knowledge, took myself off of it.
I had not lost any weight after the glucophage but I had finally stopped gaining.
I have gained about 75 pounds more since then.

I had to switch Dr.s due to an insurance change a few years back and have not been back to the Endo. My PMD draws bloods when I ask him to(you'd think he'd be more vigilent) to see if my TSH levels are ok as I am also hypothyroid. SO far, they have been the same for about ten years.

I have not explored my PCOS any further as I am not wanting a baby.

I am however having "changes". We took me off the pill in the Spring.
I have bad hypertension(a year) and thought it best to stop the pill.
I had no period from Aug-Nov and now I have been "in cycle" the whole month of November.
What new ailment is here now?
Going to the GYN in a few days.

Robyn
nybor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:50 PM   #9  
Pending Email Confirmation

I hope to finally get this tomorrow...
Mazarin is offline   Reply With Quote