100 lb. Club - MySpace??

View Full Version : MySpace??

NJ84
08-27-2005, 04:09 PM
Anyone else have it ?? I just joined add me if ya want :) www.myspace.com/amanda2484

SnShn13
08-29-2005, 09:23 AM
Hi. I have a myspace account... I'll friend ya! :)

missaprylj
08-29-2005, 11:07 AM
Visit MySpace and learn a little more about me inAprylwood (http://spaces.msn.com/members/aprylblazek/PersonalSpace.aspx)

Sheila53
08-29-2005, 12:40 PM
Hey, there, don't you be dissing Everwood! :D Great poetry, Apryl. Are you majoring in English at UW next year? (You'll notice I'm making a big assumption about your choice of school)

jillybean720
08-29-2005, 01:04 PM
NJ84--I just added you as a friend--I have a MySpace, too! I also have a Facebook account--anyone else?

krysidaisy
08-31-2005, 02:46 AM
No My Space for me, but I think I might make an account now.

Does anyone have hi5? I'm on there. http://www.hi5.com/i?l=4OMERQD

SnShn13
08-31-2005, 11:02 AM
Jill,

what's your display name for myspace? I want to add a new friend too!

jillybean720
08-31-2005, 01:43 PM
heh, it's jillybean720 (of all the crazy things ;) )

www.myspace.com/jillybean720 (http://www.myspace.com/jillybean720)

VelVeeta
02-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Not trying to sound like a safety worrier but does MySpace scare you at all? If not for yourself for the younger children that are on it? I have heard a lot of stories connected to MySpace and online predators even murders connected to this social group. Are you weary of it at all?

glynne
02-28-2006, 01:12 PM
I have heard those worrysome things too. I'm not sure you can trust people are who they say they are on there. I was trying to read what had been said on the news in my mother's area ~ she had heard me mention it and had heard things that sounded worrysone to her. One click lead to another, and I found a my space thing for the weather man in their local area a 74 year old man. Some of what was written on his space, made me think that this man did not put himself on there, but that someone else had done it for a joke. And one click lead to another and there is a my space for one of the american idol contestants ~ Taylor Hicks. The little thing was lit up showing that he was on line. Made me wonder if it was really him, or someone pretending to be him.

I have a thing on there and have gotten some messages from men ~ and nothing on my thing would have suggested that I was wanting that kind of response. Kind of scary to me.

The only reason I got on there, was because my son has a thing on there and he wanted me to see it and the only way I could was to join. I put the least amount of info on that you could. My son put some pictures of my family members, I wonder if maybe I should take them off there.

Less of Lena
02-28-2006, 01:55 PM
As the parent of a teen, I'm concerned about those types of sites as well. It's just a downright, dirty shame that some perverted jerks are determined to suck the joy out of what should be a fun place for teens and young adults :mad: .

My son hasn't expressed a desire to open a myspace account, but he does frequent many different areas on the web (mostly pertaining to gaming). He's very aware of what he should and should not be entering, information-wise.

As parents, it's our duty to remind our kids and their friends that revealing too much info is dangerous. Sad, but true.

So, just watch out, folks. Enjoy the sites, but don't give out personal info that can, in any way, be tracked back to you IRL.

jillybean720
02-28-2006, 02:22 PM
I certainly don't worry about it for me at all, but I read a post once from a woman who found out through her daughter's MySpace that once when she was out of town and thought her daughter was staying with friends, the daughter had actually had a boy over and had sex in their house :o Just another reason for parents to keep as close an eye as possible...

I get so annoyed when I see these pictures on MySpace (and the like) of like 12-14 year old girls showing off in bikinis and whatnot. It's so disgusting--how could their parents NOT talk to them about the dangers of doing such things?!

jillybean720
02-28-2006, 02:22 PM
I certainly don't worry about it for me at all, but I read a post once from a woman who found out through her daughter's MySpace that once when she was out of town and thought her daughter was staying with friends, the daughter had actually had a boy over and had sex in their house :o Just another reason for parents to keep as close an eye as possible...

I get so annoyed when I see these pictures on MySpace (and the like) of like 12-14 year old girls showing off in bikinis and whatnot. It's so disgusting--how could their parents NOT talk to them about the dangers of doing such things?!

wchs2007
02-28-2006, 02:47 PM
My son does not have my space account but he does have facebook..
I have all user names and passwords .. Via a Keylogger I have on my pc..
I go on daily to see what is going on.
I think A LOT of parents would be shocked to see what is going on.
What the kids will tell about them self. It really is shocking..

VelVeeta
02-28-2006, 03:52 PM
I think that limiting the private infromation you put on there is very vital to your safety. There are just too many creeps out there. Glynne, that is just awful that men were writing to you and it sounds like it wasnt very appropriate. I found a great online resource, CyberTipline, where you can report these creeps, and authorities take it from there. It just grosses me out to think that people can sit behind their computers act illegally and think that they are safe. Too bad they aren't :D

glynne
02-28-2006, 05:43 PM
Yeah, the picture my son put of me on there is the same as my avatar pic on here ~ to me that doesn't look like anything some man would want, and also in my stuff it said I was married ~ so, I am clueless as to why some man would write to me.

kayleystar
02-28-2006, 05:59 PM
I have a myspace...have had one for like a year or so now, and I've never had any problems with it. No one's ever e-mailed me or anything...

I know I heard about Taylor Behl (and you can read about it on Crimelibrary.com), and was murdered...

I'm not all THAT careful, but honestly, I'm not all that worried.

www.myspace.com/kayleystar

Heather
02-28-2006, 06:44 PM
Anyone ever worry about info they post here, and whether someone you know IRL will find you here and learn a lot about you that you might not want to share?

glynne
02-28-2006, 07:33 PM
I wonder that too ~ sometimes when I am playing around doing a search for things, it will take me to a message board, and it makes me wonder if other people are seeing our stuff ~ and.......I don't know ~ whether I've said too much, or things I shouldn't have said or whatever.

SherryA
02-28-2006, 07:50 PM
My daughter joined and I made her quit. A young person in our community (or near here) was killed after a predator got hold of him. Myspace and also video games where you can talk to people were how he connected with the perve.

VelVeeta
03-01-2006, 10:51 AM
I think you should be conscious of what you say whether you are an adult or a child. Just be careful, i mean clearly its easier for predators to prey on children but they can get to your children if you provide too much information. I read a statistic from the Center of Missing and exploited Children that 1 in 5 children are solicited online for sex, ewww. Lets keep those creeps off of the internet and away from kids, just dont provide too much information for EVERYONE to see.

jillybean720
03-01-2006, 11:15 AM
I read a statistic from the Center of Missing and exploited Children that 1 in 5 children are solicited online for sex, ewww.
Which is exactly why I think the most important thing you can do is talk to your kids! I can definitely say that when I was under 18, I was contacted by men online all the time regarding sexual topics. I first started using chat rooms when I was in 8th grade (about 13 years old). My parents sometimes worried about me, but they didn't have to--I was smart enough (and they had instilled enough common sense in me) to never give out too much personal information. Aside from my age and first name, I wouldn't even usually say what town I lived in (just the state) and would NEVER give out my last name or even my phone number (there are sites you can use to do a reverse look-up on home phone numbers and find the name and address that number belongs to).

There will always be predators, Internet or otherise, and I maintain that the best defense against them all is to EDUCATE your children and be involved in their lives (even when they may not want you to!).

SherryA
03-01-2006, 12:06 PM
Certainly makes sense. However.... I have educated my daughter. Worried about her, spied on her internet use etc. But still some of the DUMB things she does on the internet when we aren't paying close enough attention makes me have to remember that SHE is still a child and I am the one who has to make sure she stays safe.

She once started an instant message sign in with a name that I know SHE didn't mean anything by, but that had some very sexual connotations to someone who had a dirty mind. While she was logged in on my computer, some perve had to ask her if her "daddy thinks she's hot". I made her immediatlely delete that message name.

Creepy people out there. Children in all innocence do some dumb things. "My Space" has you declare that you are at least 18 before joining it. My daughter declared she was, and then admitted in her posts that she was only 13... Duh. Talk about a place for predators to get too much information.

jillybean720
03-01-2006, 12:20 PM
You actually only have to be 14 to have an account on My Space (according to their Terms of Service), but there's really no way for them to tell if you really are 14+ or not. I think it's scary, too, that now younger and younger children are getting online. It makes sense that a teenager should know not to post certain information, but I know a certain 6-year old who is probably about as computer proficient as I am :dizzy: I doubt her parents would think to have serious talks about such things with her when she's only 10 or so, ya know?

I wonder what the difference is in how people think today versus 10 years ago. I know at 13 or 14, I was practically scared stiff at the thought of someone hunting me down via the Internet, so I was far from an open book. I created my own website before I was 16, but I didn't post any personal information about myself. I chatted with people online (yes, including men who were much older), but never gave out information regarding my location or which school I attended or anything like that, and I didn't meet anyone from the internet in real life until I was over 18 (and even then, someone always knew where I was going and who I would be with). I wish there was a way to scare today's kids into being as cautious as I was!

VelVeeta
03-06-2006, 03:46 PM
I think the difference in mentality today from 10 years ago is that you can be in touch with anyone, anywhere almomst at any time. Friends that i have made studying abroad and went to college here in the US, we can stay in touch, know what they are doing, where they are living etc. The downfall to all of this knowlege, is that we have to remember that if we put it out there anyone can see personal information, not just your friends, people you have lost touch with, etc. Its kind of a scary thought, one that i have admittely become much more aware of. I try to keep up with safety in every aspect of life and it seems that the internet is the newest place we have to teach our kids to be on guard and protect themselves. NCMEC has info on precautions to take and statistics about internet safety, its a good page to read and great info to have. Hope everyone is having a Happy Monday!!!