100 lb. Club - I'm leaving on a jet plane

View Full Version : I'm leaving on a jet plane

jmacway
08-26-2005, 07:43 PM
I am going out of town for 3 weeks. Here are my goals for that time.

not to gain any weight/maintain or lose
Daily 3 mile walk
Lots of water/maybe one soda a week
Make healthy food choices, lots of fruit and veggies
portion control/ eat half of what I am served
stick with 3 meals and 2 snacks a day
enjoy myself
Remember this is a lifestyle change not a diet.

I don't know when I will have an internet connection, but we are taking a lap top. I will check in when I can

famograham
08-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Have fun Joyce!!

Holidays are so much fun :)

Good luck on the plan ;)

Linda

Jillegal
08-26-2005, 09:29 PM
If you haven't left already for wherever you're going, have a wonderful time and tell us about your trip on your return and how you enjoyed yourself (while adhering to your lifestyle change, naturally) ;)

jmacway
08-28-2005, 11:53 AM
I hope you guys don't mind if I use this thread to journal my trip. I think journaling will help keep me on track. (If the hotels have intenet connections)

Dh and I flew from OKC to Denver, just after 1 p.m. The plane we were scheduled to leave on had machanical problems and the flight was canceled. We got rebooked on another flight 4 hours later.
I did not make the best food choices in the Denver airport, but they could have been worse.
Pizza hut bread sticks when we first landed. Several hours later I had steamed rice and manderian chicken. I had water to drink.
I was not sure if I could get a true walk in today so I counted my steps.
No drinks of snacks on the planes. I know I didn't have enough fruit or veggies today.
We finally reached out destination, Silver Legacy, Reno Nevada and had 30 minutes to get to a Tom Jones concert. Very fun concert. I could not believe it when I saw ladies (an on man) throw underware on the stage. I had my soda for the week at the concert.
By the time I got to bed I had taken over 6 miles in steps for the day. Boy what a long day!

jmacway
08-30-2005, 12:28 PM
I think I am following my travel plan pretty well. Dh thinks so too. DH even thinks it's good that I am checking in with 3FC. Yesterday we walked down Virginia St. to the river walk along the Truckee river. So far we have walked an average of 5 miles a day. This morning we are taking a walk up to University of Nevada Reno. (its DH old school where we use to go feed the ducks) I have allowed my self some treats for my snacks like a cookie, and some hard candy. Last night we had a real nice dinner and I had a few bites of dessert. Today we change hotels and tomorrow we head to Lake Tahoe. I hope you are all well.

Jillegal
08-30-2005, 12:48 PM
You're doing very well and I think keeping track and staying in touch here is a great exercise. Keep enjoying yourself! :)

barbygirl43
08-30-2005, 03:50 PM
sounds like a great vacation. Wow to you for checking in on vacation.

jmacway
09-01-2005, 03:16 PM
Hello all,
Checking in while on vacation is not difficult. Internet email is how I keep in touch with our family that is spread out over the US. Sometimes I have limited time online. Knowing I am checking in here is helping me make better choices. I slacked yesterday on walkingl only got 2.5 miles. Yesterday was a drving around day DH and I went around Lake Tahoe. I had fried chicken wings the other day and am happy to tell you that I did not go overboard eating them. DH and I have had a couple of meals at some buffets. I did great, didn't over eat and made healthy food choice. When will the healthy choices become second nature? I have been trying to use the stairs instead of the escelater, or climb the escelater.

activeadventurer
09-01-2005, 04:03 PM
Way to go Joyce. Looking forward to your continued/future posts.

newfiedarling
09-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Good for you Joyce for staying with it. Can't wait to hear more about your trip.

~Dee

alphabetsoup
09-02-2005, 02:59 AM
It sounds like healthy food choices are already becoming second nature!! :) With all this walking you are doing - you may be the first person in history to actually lose weight on vacation! :lol: Keep up the great work - and have fun too!

jmacway
09-03-2005, 11:54 PM
I just love the smell of the mountains. As soon as you step off the plane in Reno you can smell them. Where I live in OK there are no mountains. I had to take a day off from walking. My IBS was really bothering me and even caused some manic attacks when driving in the car, and suttle bus. I had to take a xanax to get through it. When my IBS is bothering me I have trouble eating anything at all and carbs are my comfort foods when I do that. Food usually goes right through me. Some days we have been busy enough I have not been able to snack. That has to be a good thing. DH and I saw a great show at the Eldorado, Smokey Joe's Cafe, it was full of 50's and 60's songs. Tonight at Harrah's Lake Tahoe we are goingt to see Lipstick. Did a 1.5 hour yatch tour of the lake this afternoon, Gosh it was beautiful.
I've got to tell you I feel a bit guilty taking a vacation with the hurricane disaster. (we went through Fredrick in 79 while living in Mobile) One of the casnos we like to stay at donated $10,000 to disaster relief and had a blood drive. I am anxious to get home (not until Sept 18) ans see what my church it doing.
For the most part I think I am sticking to my travel goals pretty well. Hope you are all well.

jmacway
09-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Greetings once again,
I have been celebrating my 50th birthday the last couple days with my family here in Reno. I had more diet soda than I set for my goal. (there is something in the carbination that takes calcium away from my bones, which is not good for my ostioporosis. I have fallen short of my goal of 3 mile walks the last couple of days. I also lost my podometer yesterday. I Still think I am doing pretty well though. Time will tell, when I get home and step on the scale
Today HD and I are walking to the laudomat to do laundry. We loaded up one suitcase with all the dirty clothes . The walk may be 2 miles round trip.

jmacway
09-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Yesterday was a travel day. I never eat or drink much when I have to get on a plane. I had two meals yesterday and a snack. I did have several bottles of water after getting to my final destination. Between ariports, taxi lines and exploring the Rio, I got in enough walking. I have started having anxiety attacks when flying, riding in taxis and shuttles. I take meds for it and I take meds for IBS. Anyway the meds make me sleepy and I was in bed by 8:00 last night and up by 6 this morning. That's crazy in the town that never sleeps (Las Vegas)
Keep making good choices everyone.

barbygirl43
09-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Your trip sounds like a lot of fun, minus the anxiety attacks. can't wait to hear about the entire trip when you get back home.

jmacway
09-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Our to favorite places to visit on the strip are a 30 minute apart. DH and I did the walk there and back yesterday and will do it again today once maybe twice. I missed and awards dinner last night because of anxiety. Even thought I took the xanax, I was still afraid to get on the shuttle.

jmacway
09-12-2005, 12:23 PM
DH reported to me the good awards dinner I missed and brought me a vegitarian dinner and some table decorations.
I HAD to move yesterday. I took some xanax, chewed some gum, played music in one ear and DH talked to me in my other ear and I was able to ride in the taxi without having an anxiety tack (I don't know why I,m doing this.)
I have been having meals in my room the last couple of days or a VIP room. It's easier to make healthy food choices. Up until last night when we joined a friend at Gillies for dinner. The serving size I got would have fed three people. I took a to go box back to our room. It was fun watching the line dancing and I saw a guy try and ride the mechanical bull. Water is my prefered drink. I am getting plenty of walking in. Yesterday over 1.5 hours. I am counting minutes now instead of steps because I lost my pedomoter. The weather here in Las Vegas has been beautiful for walking, mild temp. but very windy.

newfiedarling
09-12-2005, 12:25 PM
It's great you're getting some mild weather. When we went to Las Vegas last year it was around 115 every day. Hot enough to cook ya!!

Keep posting.

~Dee

jmacway
09-17-2005, 10:43 PM
I will be heading back to OKC on Monday. The anxiety attacks I have experienced while on this extended vacation have really thrown me for a loop. Never have done this before and never know when I will have and anxdiety attack. I celebrated my 50th birthday while on this trip and my 31 wedding anniv. I don't think there was a day that I over ate but I sure did not stick to the 5-6 small meals a day. We did a lot of walking but it was not 3 or more miles a day. I did get plenty of water every day, being in Nevada all ways make me thirsty. Don't know why. I had a difficult day. Saturdays is when I take my actonel for my ostioporosis. It usually doesn't bother me, but today it did. I had an upset stomach and felt like I was going to be sick to my stomach most of the day. I will report my weight when I get home. Thanks everyone for being there for me. It will be good to have a regular internet connection when I get home.

barbygirl43
09-19-2005, 11:41 AM
sorry to hear about the anxiety attacks. I hope you made it home and are feeling better.

activeadventurer
09-21-2005, 01:24 AM
Joyce,

Love the new avatar photo. It is great to put a face with the name. Welcome back. Look forward to seeing your posts again. They may already be up there but I haven't been around much the last day or two. Sending you the best DCM :D

jmacway
09-21-2005, 08:49 AM
Denise,
I home untill the end of Oct. I got home about midnight on Monday, got to bed about 1:30 a.m. and had to be at work by 8:15 Tuesday morning. (I had agreed to sub for a friend of mine) I left the unpacking, Laundry shopping and cleaning to DH. He did a fair job. I hit the groung running and am adjusting to a two hour time change. It took awhile to catch on reading the posts on a couple of my favorite web sites. It's weigh in day. We'll see if I did any good with the goals I set for myself.