WW Clubs and Groups - Feisty & Sexy 50-60 year olds #61

View Full Version : Feisty & Sexy 50-60 year olds #61

flaggies
08-25-2005, 09:19 PM
G'day all,

Good to read everyone's posts, especially Trudy's keeping us up to date with Slavika's dh's progress. :)

I haven't got the other window open to see what everyone has said and I cannot remember too much other then the 'fogging' for mosquitos etc. This is one of my main concerns when we go to the Outback, dh does not get bitten but they see me coming from miles away :( The condition you spoke of must be similar as that of 'Ross River Virus' which you can get from certain mosquito bites. The virus is very similar to chronic fatique syndrome and very difficult to treat.
Great that Ann and Karen got to have lunch together. Yes the rolling of the eyes is a common reaction for me as well when I speak of my 'cyber friends'. It does stump them a bit when I tell them that we have been friends for almost 6 years!!!!!

I looked after Matilda again the last 2 days and she is a little sweetie but boy, I do NOT want to do this permanent baby sitting. Her other grandmother came to pick her up late yesterday afternoon, she went on and on how lucky I was not to be working and I could spend all this time with Matilda!!!!
I pointed out that I do work and in order to look after Matilda, I was up till late at night finishing off stuff for customers. She just dismissed that because 'I love doing it'.
It is very difficult and she has the happy knack of making me feel quite guilty. She then also assumes that I am not confident looking after Matilda, and tells me how to look after her :mad: :mad: .
She is a lovely lady BUT.......
I must stop whinging, dh home tonight, d-i-l lost her semi final in Sydney last night (that was the reason I looked after Matilda) and I hate to say it but I was very pleased because had they won, the grand final is in Melbourne and that would have meant looking after Matilda again next week from Friday till Sunday.
It is now waiting to see if she made the Australian squad, if she does it will mean a tour to New Zealand and Jamaica for 15 days :( her mother and myself have agreed to look after Matilda for 1/2 the time each.

Busy day, hope everyone is well and happy.....

Cheers
Maria

Lizziepie
08-25-2005, 11:27 PM
Hi everyone:

I have a question for the WW workers? or anyone else who has the answer. I'm not sure just how to use the flex points, and if I am using them correctly. Since I have had to drop my daily points I am finding it very difficult to stay within them without going over, so I use the Flex points. I have never used all 35 in one week, but I have come close. If you use all of them does it effect your weight loss? And can you use both activity points and flex points at the same time? I usually have at least 3 activity points every day. So if I use them, then I am of the opinion that I shouldn't use Flex points. But on the other hand, if I use Flex then I shouldn't use activity points Am I right about that? It gets a bit confusing.

Maria: You are being a very nice Mother and Grandmother. It is hard to refuse sometimes, and it is certainly not nice of the other Grandmother to try and lay on the guilt. If she feels that way, why doesn't she do the babysitting all the time? :D: Maybe she feels that she would be selfish and depriving you of the opportunity to be with Matilda.

We are waiting for rain as Tropical storm/hurricane Katrina passes by us out in the gulf on Friday and Sat. We do need the rain. But I don't want the wind and all the rest that might accompany it.

Karen: I'm glad that they finally have a diagnosis for your SonIL fever. I sure hope that they can get on top of the possibility that he might have Lyme disease too. And you are right - it is good that he is young and strong. West Nile Virus can be devastating to older people, and especially anyone with other illnesses that are weakening to ones system. I try not to go out at dusk or dawn, since those are the times the mosquitos like to stalk their victims.

Slavika: Happy Anniversary. It is probably one Anniversary you will not forget and surely will hope that the circumstances won't ever be repeated once your David is recovered from this treatment.

You know, I think that it is quite amazing that we have all stayed together for 6 years or more. There are so many threads that people only visit now and again, and then you never hear from them again. We do have a closeness that has developed over the years, through our good and bad times. I am grateful to be able to call you all my friends, and feel richer because of your friendships. It would be lovely if we could all meet sometime, but guess that is just a lovely dream. I am so glad that we were able to get together with Karen and her DH for lunch and will hope to get together again one of these times soon.

Trudy: I would like a picture of you sitting on your exercise ball and working on the computer. How does it work for your back muscles? That is one of the places i need help, as does DH.

Peggy: Gee, now when you have a backyard barbecue you can cook the hotdogs. :D::lol: You might even have other cooking adventures during the school year.

The bed is calling so hi to everyone. Curves tomorrow, and then will be going to lunch with friends. We call this lunch date 'The Monthly'. That is in honor of the fact that we only have this 'monthly' anymore. :D:
See you all tomorrow. Ann

LilyG
08-26-2005, 04:05 PM
Ann: Everyone is different. But I have always used My Flex Points and My Activity Points. I sometimes dont use all My Flex Points. But I always dip into them weekly and sometimes I do use all. But if I earn Activity points I use all of them the day I earned them. My body likes me to. So no you are no right about if you use your Actitity Points you cant use Flex Points. They are ALL there for you to use if you want.

But like I said everyone is different. When I use them all I have better losses. So play with.

Maria: You are being very nice. I dint know if I could Handle 15 days even f it is only half of it. Thats to much Baby sitting for me.

Trudy: I have one of those exercise balls. Havent used it in years. Use to use it to sit at Puter. Should try again. Course Knowing me I probably put it away cause I feel off LOL

Later

survivor
08-26-2005, 06:34 PM
Yesterday I became a brunette with frosted hair. Hmmm....not at all used to it. My granddaughter has been doing my hair and it has just gotten lighter and lighter and lighter. So she put some color back into it and I about fainted. Haven't looked like this ever. But I might get to like it.

Trudy, I am so happy you gave us the update on Slavika's DH. I know he has the best caretaker he could have and the hospital staff sounds top notch. It just takes time and he can do that. Have to keep their eyes on the goal, not the day-to-day struggle.

I so wish we could all meet. I guess that won't happen, but it does sound good. I would love to have lunch with you guys.

Karen, good news about the colonoscopy. When I had mine, I was so sick I thought I would die. When it came back good, I thought, well won't do that thing again. I believe I neglected to drink enough water.

Gloria, thanks for all the emails. Enjoying them a bunch.

Maria, I think you are wonderful to take care of Matilda when you do. Sounds like your son's MIL picks and chooses what she "hears."

Well, all have a good weekend. My sister and her husband, brother and his wife are at my house and we are still both working. My sis called and said they were just sitting there visiting. This is our couples' weekend. We are meeting at a restaurant at 5 and then the party will begin. You know what kind of party? Remember we are old. It involves food and cards. Whoopee! I will definitely have to waddle in to work on Monday. One more weekend of eating and then off to WW. I promise!
Glenda

flaggies
08-26-2005, 08:54 PM
G'day all,

I cannot believe it Glenda that is exactly what I did the last time I had my hair done...I was just getting 'blonder' and 'blonder' and I was told that it just drained all the colour from my face and made me look older :(
I now have ash blonde hair with some lighter bits....it took a little bit of getting used to but I think it does make me look a bit younger.....perhaps as much as 6 months :D :D ;)
This also reminds me of some work I did last week for a Dairy Company who wanted me to do a poster of their products. I found a stock photo of a 4 year old having an ice cream in a cone which dripped everywhere, a good example of how enjoyable dairy stuff is! They rang me about something else and said they loved the photo of the little girl and asked if it was my daughter :lol: I didn't tell them I was a little past it at 60!
I must sound VERY young :D

Our aim is to get to the States/Canada and personally say 'g'day' to everyone! It WILL happen.
DH is a platinum member of the Marriott group of hotels which gives you all sorts of freebies and deals but all are for America only, so you all know I love a bargain even if it means going to America to get it :D

Ann I agree with everything you said about our friendship, I never thought this would happen but I am glad it did and I feel very fortunate to have you all in my life.

We are off to watch our son play football, some 90 km from home, the good part is that it is a beautiful day and we will be taking the little 'dream machine' with the top down :)

Hope everyone will have a great weekend.....
Cheers
Maria

Attached is a photo of our daughter with Matilda when she was over for a visit from Melbourne last weekend.
We had a lovely time.

Lizziepie
08-27-2005, 11:45 PM
Hi:
Maria: Loved the 'pic' Matilda is such a cutie, and she is surely growing.
I did the oposite with my hair. I was getting more gray than I liked so I had dark highlights to match my original hair color. I quite like it, and I think it does make me look younger, at least I tell myself that.:lol: DH likes it too.

this was one of those days. Didn't get to weigh-in as I had a church retreat to attend at 8:00a.m. and our weigh-in is at 8:30. It was a good session. Then came home and after lunch DH and I went to Walmart to get gasoline-6cents cheaper there than at the stations around here. $2.53.9 as opposed to $2.59.9 and at some places it is $2.65.9 .We w6ent into the store to pick up a couple of things, and they had some black grapes, which we like, so I tasted a couple to check if they were sweet. Didn't think about not being washed. On the way home I went into a sneezing bout, and have been doing the same with runny nose and eyes ever since. Dumb me had stopped taking my allergy meds a couple of days ago, since I was doing really well. so now I have to get the prescription refilled and start over again. The only thing I can lay it to is the grapes. I sure hope it isn't a cold starting. But I don't feel bad, just the dripping faucet of a nose. :yikes:

I may take some Airborn just to be on the safe side.

Then to add insult to injury, I was chewing a sugar/free caramel and pulled off a crown. Now I have to go to the Dentist on Monday to see if it can be reglued. :mad:

Didn't get any exercise today, as we are getting rain as a result of Hurricane Katrina. We were fortunate to have dodged it this time. I feel for the folks down in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale who are cleaning up now, and for the people up on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi and Louisana where they think it will now come ashore and it has strengthened a lot so it will spell big trouble for them.

Thanks Lily for the advice. I will use the points as I need them. I know I have big trouble staying at 22 points without using the flex points. All our fruit now is coming from California. Strawberries, Grapes. peaches. plums. Love them all.

Hope you are all having a grand weekend. I will get back on the allergy meds and nip this sneezeorama in the bud.

"See' you all later. Ann

slavika
08-28-2005, 04:32 PM
Hi Everybody
My son picked me up this morning and we went to the hospital. I had phoned DH first thing this morning and he was some what disoriented as to were he was and what was going on. They had put him on a morphine drip a couple of days ago and increased the amount yesterday as the sores in his mouth and down his esophagus were very bad and very painful and he was not even able to drink water. I phoned my son this morning and we went to the hospital immediately. When we got there the doctor and a couple of nurses had already decided that the morphine was too high for him and took him off it and put him on a drug called "Hydomophone" which is from the same family as morphine but the effects aren't so bad. He didn't sleep well last night. so after talking to the doctor and nurse and spending a couple of hours with him we decided to leave him to rest. I told him to call me if you wants me to come back. As his number get better the sores will start to heal.
His white blood count went from 5.73 on Aug. 16th to .03 on August 25th. Normal range is 4.5 to 11.0. Today the count was 0.81....so it is going up. Hopefully tomorrow it will be over 1.
I have met some wonderful people on the hospital ward, both patients and visitors.
Maria your Matilda is a little cutie pie.
Glenda, I noticed that you have changed your hair colour and so has Maria. Sometimes a change is good.
So my friends I just wanted to share with you how things were going with us, and I will "talk" to you all soon.

nanacas
08-28-2005, 08:07 PM
Not much going on here but I did want to post.

Slavika: It was so good to hear from you and although DH was not feeling well the numbers are going in the right direction which is what you want. Right now with those sores I guess rest is the best thing.

Marie: That cutie, Matilda, is lying there wide awake and looks like she is saying "What's with this sleeping Aunt? Doesn't everyone know I need to be entertained?" You are being very nice to do so much baby sitting. Don't tire youself out.

Ann: Wow! that is some reaction to the grapes. How long will you need to take the allergy meds to get back to normal? Then to top it all off...pulling off a crown. You are sent good vibes for the upcoming week so everything goes well.

Glenda and all those hair colorists: I have never colored my hair. I guess I am lazy and have just let what happened happen. My hair was always dark with a white streak by my 'widow's peak' and now it is more white with a dark streak there. I am very lucky that my hair has some body and curl and I have it cut very short which means that a shampoo and dry takes me about 5 minutes in the morning.

Lily: I usually use most of my Flex Points and sometimes it helps and others not.

We are in for a week of rain including the remnants of Katrina. Speaking of that I hope Karen and Ann have made it thru the rain and may this be the last hurricane for you both.

Gloria

flaggies
08-28-2005, 08:52 PM
G'day all,

Good to see you post Slavika and I am glad that the doctors have changed the morphine medication. I must say it sounds very painful what your dh is going through but as Gloria said the blood count is going the right way which is good to hear, before long the sores will start to heal and he will be a lot more comfortable. You must feel very helpless at times, I imagine you would want to do so much but in reality it is something that cannot be rushed.
I am pleased you have met some wonderful people, you are not going alone through this experience.

Like Gloria I have also thought of Ann and Karen and those hurricanes :mad: Is it because I never knew anyone in Florida :?: I never realised how many hurricanes Florida gets hit by :(

Our weekend has come to a good end, ds and d-i-l were buying a house close to us. It was very expensive and I have been worrying how they were going to do it, they have now realised themselves that it is just too much and are staying put for a little while longer to do some more savings :)
I just wished I was a bit more like dh who is just quite philosophical about it all whereas I just worry:rolleyes:
DS got quite badly injured at his football game last Saturday...just to add to my worries. He tore a muscle in his calf which has somehow effected his back and neck. He is moving worse than an 80 year old, hopefully he will get some relief from treatment he is receiving today.

Some weeks ago I had my family room measured up for some built in cupboards, in due course we received a quote, dh had a fit, I placated him and now we may get them installed this week :cp: I will then have the task of re-organising all my cupboards, it will be great.

Cheers
Maria

Lizziepie
08-28-2005, 11:20 PM
We haave been so blessed that Katrina left us in Central florida alone, but I do pray for all the people in New Orleans and the rest of that Gulf coast. It is hard to believe that is storm has now increased to a category 5, and that it is huge. Our tv programs are showing long long lines of cars evacuating the area. It has to be very scary for people to be leaving their homes, all they havae worked for, and feel certain that it could all be under water or completely destroyed when this storm passes. According to the projected path, I think Peggy might be feeling some of the effects. So pray for those people.

Slavika: Glad to know the numbers are going up. Thanks for keeping us informed.

Hi to you all. Ann

LilyG
08-29-2005, 04:30 PM
Glenda: Both yours and Marias hair sounds very nice.
My hair always gets lighter in the summer. Then changes to darker in the winter.

Slavika: Thanks for the updae on your DH. Glad they are going to let him rest. Sounds lke he is improving. Praying daily for him!

Maria: Cute Pic!

Gloria: Thats why I said everyone is different. Its always helped me. But I know some people that it doesnt help them. Think it most have to do with Metabolish

Ann: Glad you missed the Hurricane. Sounds like it is pretty bad.

Later!

survivor
08-29-2005, 06:05 PM
Slavika, I know you are right in the midst of the process and it can't be fun for either of you. This sounds like the classic route. If anything, you know what is happening is exactly what they said. This is the way to that wonderful word - REMISSION. My hubby said the worst part of my treatment was just feeling so darned helpless. You want to take it on yourself and can't. Just being there is the bestest thing you can do.

Ann and Karen, so are you tired of rain? We are. Usually August in Oklahoma is dry and brown. This August we have rain daily almost and then the sun. Like living in the tropics. And the yard grows a foot overnight.

Our couples' weekend was just more fun. The best part is that there is no preparation, no cooking, etc. We eat out once a day, probably barbecue (or sandwiches) once a day and shop and play games and all go to the movie once. No pressure to entertain or have everything perfect. We mainly laugh and reminisce.

Maria, what a little doll! The big doll is kind of cute too! Is Matilda always so wide-eyed and bushy-tailed. You could make a really funny caption on that picture. I think I am liking the brunette look with frosting. I look mysterious, well about as mysterious as an old woman with brown hair can look.

Peggy, are you in the path of the rain from the hurricane? I have not seen or heard anything about the storm. I have been so out of touch.

Lily, it is nice to hear from you so much more. Don't we love computers!
Glenda

Trudy
08-29-2005, 09:44 PM
I heard from Slavika this morning, and it was GOOD NEWS! Her DH's numbers have trippled and he felt better this morning. You had to hear our Slavika's voice yesterday compared to today.... what a difference.
We were out all day, spent the day with our DD and :angel:... had lots of fun, so my day was good too. I put on the TV this evening and saw the horrible aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. How do people cope when their homes and everything they own are lost, not to mention all the deaths??? So sad. I wonder if Peggy is going to get some bad weather from it. Ontario Canada is expecting huge winds and lots of rain this week from the system.
Maria the picture is so cute. That little Mathilda has such big eyes, she is a darling. I think that grandparents who look after their grandchildren on a daily basis have to discipline.. when we babysit from time to time we don't have to do that. I think it should be up to the parents to teach the rules, we are their for the fun times. Sorry to hear about your son's injury. Sounds painful to me.
I don't have any color at all left in my hair. It has been a long times since I dyed it. It was only nice for the first week, then the color would start to fade and the roots would show when the wind would blow my hair around. If you have natural color left, I think that dying it works better. You gals sound lovely with your new colors. Miss that uplifting feeling when the color looks nice.
I forget who asked about the exercise ball. When you are just sitting on it, all your muscles have to work to stabilize you, from your feet right up to your shoulders and neck. It is excellent to strengthen your core. Then when you learn some exercises and start to bounce, your really can do an areobic exercise. I have been going to a "Bounce Class" on Fridays at my gym... love it.

I was out all day, so now I am doing laundry. I am such a creature of habit... my DH said to do it tomorrow, but I always wash on Monday and can't change my habits now... too old for that. Bye for now..

flaggies
08-29-2005, 09:53 PM
G'day all,

That is fantastic news about Slavika and her dh. Thanks for letting us know Trudy. I can well imagine that she sounded somewhat different today ;) . It certainly is no picnic but everything is on the improve which is just great.

I know what you mean about the colour fading Trudy, that is a bit of a problem for me as well. I will just see how I go but I think there is nothing worse than 3 inches of 'white' roots :o :eek:

I have heaps to do so 'hi' to you all, it was just so good to hear that Slavika's husband is making such great progress.

I am also watching the news bulletins regarding 'Katrina', such devastation that nature can inflict :(

Cheers
Maria

LilyG
08-29-2005, 11:41 PM
Trudy: Thank you so much for the Update! Thats wonderful About Slavika DH! Such good News. I was so worried!

Karen L
08-30-2005, 12:05 AM
Trudy thanks so much for the update on Slavika's DH. The news is I agree with Lily so uplifting. I could telll from your post that you had a smile in your voice the whole time you wrote. You are a good friend for Slavika . Thank you for being there for her. We all wish we could give her a big hug along with our good wishes.

My DD husband is on the mend. Even tried to go to work today but I guess because of all the rain they weren't building swimming pools. So he got one more day to rest.

When I talked with my DD today she was telling me about the all school reuinon they had in town last weekend. She's been out of school 20 years. I can hardly say it.20 years! Any way she was just all smiles and bubbles in her voice when she told me how it was great to see all her old friends and not be FAT. It was good to hear her sound so happy. She was always so skinny in school but like the rest of us bad habits come back to bite you in the butt!

Talking about hair color. I did buy a bottle of lightest golden brown. Wish me luck!! All this blond has got to go. As for the 3 inch roots I can asure you that won't be happening.

Ann I meant to tell you that your hair looked great. You all should see her, she claims to to the oldest of us all but she sure doesn't look it.

My DH made me an appointment with a foot doctor on Friday. I was walking in the mall yesterday and by the time 1 hour was up both my hips hurt because I was favoring the sore heel. Wonder what I will be told .

Well it is bed time so got to go.

Karen

Lizziepie
08-30-2005, 03:06 PM
Gee Karen - You made my day with your compliment about my hair and looks. Most days I don't feel my chrolological age and I have a birthday coming up in
September. Don't even want to count it.But we will be flying to Cape Cod for DH 55th
college class reunion on my birthday, so have to consider that a gift. We will be going out to dinner that night with his classmates.

His PT is really helping him a lot. His first course is over and now we have to make contact with his Dr. so it can continue. I'd hate to have him lose all the help it has been giving him.

Karen_ Do you have a heel spur? Glad to hear that your son-in-law is feeling much better. That West Nile can be scary stuff and Lyme disease is nothing to fool with either, and to have them both:yikes: :eek:

I am a bit disappointed that I won't make the goal I set for myself for Labor day, but those last 8lbs are so hard to get rid of. It can be discouraging, but I am not going to quit. I seem to be earning about 6 or 7 activity points most days. Sometimes I use them and sometimes not. I do have trouble staying within my points (22) without going over. Anyone have any suggestions? I am careful with my measurements of food, most of the time. When we go out to eat it is hard sometimes to judge the portion sizes.

Slavika: I'm so happy for you that things are going well. You are blessed with such a loving family, and with a friend like Trudy.

I am just horrified to be hearing about all the damage from Katrina. So many deaths and they haven't even finished with the searches yet. One of the Gulfport Casinos was swept right across the road. It is hard to imagine 35 or 30 foot waves. And then I think that sometime, something like this could happen in our area. What we went through last year seems insignificant when compared with what has happened over there in Mississippi and Louisana.

Hi everyone - Hope you are all having lovely bright sunshiny days. Ann

Lizziepie
08-30-2005, 03:15 PM
P.S. Got my crown re-cemented. That caramel turned out to be worth $68 dollars. I will sure be careful with them from now on. :D: And it was a sugar-free one to boot, not even one of the really good ones. :mad: If I had to do such damage, I would rather have had one that was full of calories and sugar. ::lol: Ann

painter5
08-30-2005, 04:09 PM
Hi All,

Trudy thanks for the update on Slavika. I came by the other day when she posted but didn't have time to post. I just can't imagine what he must be going through. You are a good friend. Bounce class sounds like fun. I will have to try sitting on my ball while on the computer.

Maria I loved that picture. Matty is such a cutie pie and your dd is pretty.

Glenda your couples weekend sounds like a good time.

Karen glad that your sil is on the mend. A couple of people in this area have had West Nile also. Hope your heel is better.

Ann those last 8lbs will go eventually. They say the last ones are the hardest to get rid of. Have you ever tried the Wendie Plan? I don't know much about it -something about changing your points from day to day. Maybe try doing some different exercise to shake up your metabolism. I am sure that Karen and Lily have better ideas.

It is pouring rain thanks to Katrina. I am afraid to check the basement. When it rains this hard it usually leaks a little. A big tree branch is in the front yard. Going to have to dry it out and use it in our chiminea on some cool night. We like to sit out by the fire and have a glass of wine. My hair got the family gene that started turning gray in my 30's so I made it blonde. Now it is white but I get it colored once a month. I wish I had Gloria's curly hair. No matter what I do and use it usually goes straight. Tried a perm a few times but then it frizzes. Been cleaning today-have to go to work tomorrow.

flaggies
08-30-2005, 08:37 PM
G'day everyone,

We have had a very stormy night with widespread damage :( but thank goodness nothing to what you are experiencing due to Katerina :eek: :( :cry: The news pictures are horrendous with the devastation that Katerina has inflicted on you.
We have a little calmer weather today and I had no damage in my garden other then a few pots 'flew' around the place.

Ann what an expensive caramel :( You asked for any suggestions re your weight....I have none really...some days it is a breeze staying well within the points and other days it is virtually impossible :dizzy:
I always think that if I was not doing what I was doing, I would be the size of a house...at least now whilst not at my ideal weight, I am generally not putting on either.

Karen FEET they are the bain of my life and certainly can make life miserable. I would imagine you will probably get some orthotics, whilst they have not alleviated all my problems they have certainly helped.
Good luck.

Peggy chimneas are gaining popularity (and complaints :( ) here as well. Have you had yours long and does it create a lot of smoke? It is probably not a good thing for close density living.

I have been looking after Matilda whilst ds has been getting treatment for his football injury. It has only been for a few hours and I have still been able to get all my work done. DS says he will be able to play again in a fortnight time, the grand final, but I cannot see that happening. I think he is retiring a season too late :(

Have a great day all...

Cheers
Maria

Trudy
08-31-2005, 04:58 PM
I was talking to a friend today, as she said that she cannot wear dress shoes anymore. What is it that happens to our feet as we age? My ankle is still a problem (since beginning of May). I do the exercises and the ice and it still swells and hurts me all the time. I find that I don't have as much strength in my left leg anymore. Now I read that a lot of you have continuing problems as well. Maria calling your feet "the bain of your life" sums it up perfectly.
It is hard not to spend a lot of time watching CNN and the coverage of Katrina's aftermath. The looting, car jacking, and people being threatened with guns just adds to the misery.

my phone rang, DD wants to talk... I will come back..

Karen L
08-31-2005, 08:05 PM
The looting, car jacking, guns. I don't get it. Why do some just keep the misery going. Is it not enough that all those people have no home and no place to go. Men dying on the interstate. One lady was about to give birth and no help. And all some so called people can think to do is make it worse. I don't get it.

Ann I'm not sure if I have a heel spur. I've been told that is what it probably is. One lady told me that's what happens when you get old. I'll let you know what the doctor says.. Was it you who said you got a cortisone shot? Did It hurt????????

Gotta go
Karen

flaggies
08-31-2005, 08:37 PM
G'day all,

Not much to cheer about this morning...how devastating Katrina has been and still is :( We would not see as much on our news servcies as what you do but what we are seeing is unbelievable.
The looting and the gun toting, it is all too much. The thought of not being able to return to your home (what's left of it) for 3 to 4 months must be just unbearable when all you would want to do is salvage what you possibly can. :(

I just HAVE to end on a brighter note.....

Today is the first day of spring for us :flow1: :flow1: :flow1:

I have attached one of my favourite flowers, hope it will cheer everyone up!

Maria

slavika
09-01-2005, 08:53 AM
Maria

A couple of times I have received notice that my emails to you are being delayed and I received another notice this morning and here's what it said. I don't know what that means. I'll be back later today to "talk" to you all.

Recipient address: amscholz*********
Reason: unable to deliver this message after 1 day

Delivery attempt history for your mail:

Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:10:57 -0600 (MDT)
Temporary error returned by SMTP partner.
smtp;451 Mail from this IP address blocked due to DNS block list.

flaggies
09-01-2005, 08:11 PM
Slavika Goodness knows what happens with my mail server at times.
I have had other people telling me the same thing at different times.
I did receive your email this morning re- your dh coming home :)

It is very sad to see the chaos in New Orleans as a result of Katerina :(:(:(

Maria

survivor
09-02-2005, 01:25 PM
All, I am trying to refrain from going to CNN because my outlook has gotten so bleak. I don't know if those of you who aren't in the US are hearing that much, but the situation is just so desperate. And, these are US citizens. Sounds and looks just like a third-world country, doesn't it? I am not even going Democrat-Republican here. I just want something done NOW. Anyway, just have to get off that subject. Last night we watched the stupidest movie that was on network TV, "Shanghai Knights." It was just what the doctor ordered.

Slavika, we are all so happy that your DH is home. Now you can give him your kind and gentle touch in his own home. He sounds like he is doing great. It has been a road so far with a ways to go, but I hope the worst is over. Trudy is such a good friend. We are all relieved here.

Regarding hair color, somedays I like being a brunette and somedays I think, Who is that person in the mirror? But I usually think that. That person in the mirror is some old hag these days.
Glenda

Lizziepie
09-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Hi all:

Tomorrow is the weigh-in day again. last week didn't go because of the church retreat, so I have to deal with two weeks. I just don't want to gain. The last time I weighed in I was up .6 and I sure don't want to be up any more.

I have been getting an average of 5 or 6 activity points at least 4 days a week, and I have been using some of them. Haven't gone overboard, but I'm thinking when I exercise that much, I probably need more. Our leader says sometimes we don't lose because we don't eat enough. Hard to believe.

Glenda: I hear you, about wanting relief to take place NOW. It is hard to come to terms with how slow the wheels move to get things in place. And sadly, the news reporters do seem to dwell on the macabre sometime.
A young lady from our church is going to be going with a team from her business. She works for an environmental company, and there will certainly be a place for their expertise. Also our local hospital is sending a truckload of medical supplies to the hospital in Biloxi.

It is hard to understand the frustration that people must be feeling, running out of food and water. I don't understand shooting at the rescue helicopters, and it is hard to lay that to frustration. I guess that this sort of thing brings out either the best or the worst in people.

Want to share this with you, from our Curves Women in Motion paper.

:flow2: A Dog's Advice for the dog days of summer. :flow2:
Take these to heart.

1- Stretch before rising. Run, romp, and play daily.
2- Stop to lie on your back in the grass.
3- Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
4- Be loyal. Never pretend to be something you're not.
5- If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
6- Avoid biting, when a simple growl will do.
7- Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.

Maria- Loved your flower picture. My garden has suffered from heat and too much rain, and I have abaout decided that I need to dig it all up and start over again. I think I will wait for some cooler days, tho'.

We are getting rain and thunder right now, once again, but the forcast is for a nice dry weekend. That will be good. On Labaor day we will be having breakfast at the clubhouse, and then later in the evening dinner and entertainment/dancing for those who want to.

It is hard to believe that September is here. The summer just flew by. I must admit that I don't like the shorter days. Never did, and it is much worse up north, when I used to go to work in the dark and come home in the dark.

Closer thunder. Will close for now and shut down. Ann

Trudy
09-02-2005, 06:00 PM
We get a lot of US coverage on our Canadian TV, and also have CNN which is all US so we know as much as you do. JUST AWFUL, some things I have seen has made me cry. No one seems to know why it is taking so long to get those people rescued. Our Federal Leader and our Provincial Leader have offered help, but so far they haven't heard back.
On Tuesday night we went to see "The March of the Penguins" with friends of ours. What a delightful movie. It was produced by National Geographic and narrated by Morgan Freeman. If you want to see a love story, and incredible endurance; if you want to laugh and cry, this is the movie for you.
Yesterday we were on the go all day and in the evening baby-sat while our DD and SIL went to see Billy Idol in concert. My SIL won box seat tickets for 4 so they took friends with them. Neither of them are Billy Idol fans, but they were familiar with his music and said it was a fun evening. They got home late, which meant we got home even later. I crawled into bed after 1:30 am and had to get up early and go for a CT scan. The contrast dye they injected made me a little sick, but I am feeling better now.
Maria I love tulips too, the picture made me wish it were spring here too instead of going into fall. I don't mind Sept and Oct, but find Nov and Dec hard because the days are so short.
GREAT NEWS Slavika... so good that your DH is home. He will get stronger and stronger and before long your lives will take on a new normal and he will finally be able to enjoy being retired. You will be even happier than you ever were before and that is saying something.
Ann That advice is good rules to live by.
Glenda I thought that "old hag" lives at my place... I see her every time I look in the mirror. :lol: :lol: Oh well, what can we do. As long as our husbands still love us and our family thinks we are great that will have to do. Karen the physiotherapist I had said the "sometimes" cortisone shots hurt, not always. Whoever does it, has the find the right place or else it won't help. So far the doctor isn't ready for me to have one, instead he gave me some exercises to do for 1 month and then we will see where we go. My sister-in-law had heel spurs and orthodics helped her and now her feet don't hurt.

I must be feeling better, all I can think about is food so I had better think of what we will have for din dins before I start nibbling... bye all...

flaggies
09-02-2005, 08:15 PM
G'day all,

Yes we do get quite a bit in our news services about the devastation and on cable, we do have CNN. We recently got rid of our cable TV so I haven't seen any of the CNN news services.
It is all beyond my comprehension and I feel for the people.
I will say that it absolutely amazes me that it took George Bush 4 days to go to the devastated area to see for himself what has happened.
At times like this I think it is important for a leader to be seen and re assure people that everything is being done.
American politics have always confused me :dizzy: :?:
It seems just amazing that New Orleans may not be rebuilt :?:

Ann it will be interesting to see if you have lost some weight this week. Certainly sounds like you did everything right.
As far as the garden...I have done exactly that, I have ripped out a lot of plants, left my beautiful standard mulberry and a few others but I am virtually starting all over again. At the moment quite a few of the bulbs are starting to flower which makes the garden look not quite so bare.

Glenda I see that old hag as well, though some days she still looks quite attractive ;) :D I am with Trudy, my life is good, I am content, great husband and kids so why worry too much about the inevitable.

Trudy that is apparently the trick to get that cortisone injection in the right spot. DD had 3 cortisone injections, 2 gave her great relief but 1 just did not hit the spot.
The Billy Idol concert sounds like fun, he is not one of my favourite singers but he did have some good songs and I would think his concert would have been quite good.

Fathers Day here tomorrow so we are going out to lunch with ds, his wife and her family. I am determined to switch off to the other grandmother and just let her nurse and do whatever she likes with little Matilda.

Have a great weekend all,

Cheers
Maria

Karen L
09-02-2005, 10:22 PM
I am in agreement with the rest of you about how long it took our goverment to get off the pot and do something. Finally today it seems as if help has arrived. But they had to shut down when it got dark to many thugs with guns are roaming around. Hopefully things will begin to get a bit better now

My youngest son and his wife have bought a larger house. They will move in on Oct 4th. They told me they moving from a match box to a hotel! Today is also their 10th anniversary. That seems to rare these days too. We are excited for them and for us because there is a room for Mom and Dad when we go up north.

Ann yesterday I did just that I spent about an hour cleaning out my flower beds. I moved a couple of flowers to the other one after I cleaned it out too. Now i have one completly bare. Not sure if I'm going to put in more flowers or flower bushes. Might just let it go to grass and let the lawn service deal with it. I gotta tell you it was hot out there and sticky. it was about 10:00 in the morning. I worked with several breaks in front of the fan. Finally took off my glasses the sweat was running in every direction and then my hearing aids didn't want them wet either. By the time i was don I looked like a wreck not even as good as a hag! But it is done. my next project is the flower bed beside the shead. I already know that one is going to be shortened. Maybe that is why the scale showed me a lose of 3 pounds this week!

My trip to the foot doctor didn't hurt. I do have a heal spur. I came home with Celebrex and some exercises to do along with alternating ice cold and warm soaks. Have to do this for a month and see what happeneds. Glad I didn't get a shot.

Maria I meant to tell you that was a cute picture.

I did my hair and I'm still getting used to it. I should sen you all a picture and get your opinion. Beware!

See you all later.

Karen

LilyG
09-03-2005, 02:54 AM
I am self am very disappointed an the way relief was handled. I know it takes time to get there. Buy my goodness.
We were in Irag sooner than they were to help our own Country.
Im reading alot to And it just shocks me. Very sad.

Slavika: Im so Happy DH came home. Its gonna be hard. But he is in his Spot so to speak. Its always better to be at home. Im sure he was happy to walk in that door :)

Karen: Glad you found out what was you foot problem!

Anyways, Havent posted much this week. Getting ready for Vacation. Sunday we leave. I will be gone for 2 weeks. Maybe 3 as I will have a ton to do when I get back.

Slavika: You and DH will be in my prayers. Im Hoping to come back from even better News than when I left.

Love to all! See you when I get back. Noooooooooo Im not taking Laptop :) Time to have fun Enjoy... No puters

flaggies
09-03-2005, 03:11 AM
Have a fun vacation Lily in the meantime I will start a new thread see ya all there.

Cheers
Maria

painter5
09-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Morning,

What a week this has been. My niece and her whole neighborhood were displaced from their homes for a couple of days because of a styrene leak from a railroad car. It started spewing gas. Amazing that the car has been there for a while and no one knows anything about it. The fire dept was pouring water on it day and night to cool it down. Finally stopped and they were allowed back in their homes. My niece tried to go back and rescue her dog and the police wouldn't let her in. Finally he became busy with someone else and she did manage to get her dog out. All this is really minor comparing it to the devastation of Katrina. I feel for all those people. I have quit complaining when I am sooo hot in the cafeteria and sweating like crazy.
This same niece has a woman that she works with that is going to take in 40 family members that have no where to go. I just cleaned out my closet to donate clothes to them. They need everything. I hope the Red Cross or Salvation Army can help her with the food.
Karen glad you got to the foot dr. Did he tell you to stand on the edge of a step and stretch your heel downwards a few times a couple of times a day? They told me that once. Love your brown hair.

Trudy I have been wanting to see The March of the Penguins. I heard you will cry at the ending. True?

Got to run and get some stuff together.