Old 08-27-2005, 08:16 AM   #16  
Staying in 1derland!

S/C/G: 288/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"

welcome chaps! wow 65 lbs way to go! Im curious.. did u begin with walking and advance to running... and if so how did u transition from walking to running? Id like advice on this if anyone has some tips for me...
curlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:27 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

Default I'm In!

This is a great idea. One of my big challenges is always drinking water, so I'm picking that. My challenge is to drink 8 glasses of water every day!

I used to drink 5 or 6 cans of Diet Coke a day. When I started watching my weight again I started cutting back, got down to just one a day. Then I decided I would only get that soda if I was willing to walk to the convenience store to get it! I did that once. Not saying I won't do that again at some point but for right now I'm becoming more and more accustomed to the water.

So today is Day 1 ...
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:29 AM   #18  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Talking wrapping up Day 2!!

Ok, fellow challengers, I am wrapping up Day 2 with some delicious watermelon and a rice ball with pickled plum in it. Yum! I gotta type and run because I have another 3:45 a.m. rising ahead of me tomorrow! Today turned out to be a fun day. My cell phone broke down and when I went to the shop they said they'd fix it for free! AND they gave me a new one to use while the other was being fixed. Thing is, the new one is a new model and has a camera on it, so I've been playing all day (even though I was at work!) and taking pictures with it. Well, okay, gotta finish catching up and hit the hay...er, rather..the floor!

curly -- that shake sounds delicious. I have always stayed away from sweeteners, mostly because there is next to nothing with them in it here, but your recipe sounded so good I thought I may just add a bit of sweetener back in my life. I can't get raw honey here and that is the only thing I really want to eat. I was going to say I can't get sugar free gelatin here but then went to an import site here and found that I can order it, most of it only by the case, but one flavor (cherry) singly. So, I just may try it out! Thanks! And good going on your challenge. You know you have three pause days this time around. New rule is a max of three. I'm not going to implement that 1-2-4-3-1-2-3 thing..too complicated.

mscat -- on getting through Day 1. You can do this! Yes, sometimes it's all just harder. Hang in there. I love water but some days I just forget about drinking. The best thing to do is just always have it sitting there next to you. I like to swig it right out of the bottle, somehow tastes better. I can't drink tap water. It's too gross tasting, just buy cheap mineral water. In the summer I also put the bottle in the freezer just until there's ice floating in it. I love crunching the ice and the ice cold feel. Of course, it's very hot here. You may not like that if you're in a cooler place. I only do that in the summer. Good luck and keep it up, okay!

gray -- Congratulations on Day 4 in the bag!! Keep it up with all that water too. Great save on the soda! I sure hope the scale is good to you tomorrow. : My challenge is to give up ALL sugar, white flour and deep-fried food. Yes, I can eat whole grain bread if there is absolutely no added sugar. And the whole grain has to be totally whole grain, or rye, mostly German bread is what I'll be eating. I'm not a big bread eater anymore so this isn't a problem. The abstinence from white flour is more a way to stop me from eating snack foods like bagel chips and so. Well, hang in there. Think of me when you pull into a gas station and remember we have convenience stores every 50 steps max of each other here in Tokyo! I must say you can find more healthy food in them than a gas station I'm sure, but still, the temptations are there too.
Take care!!

Chaps -- Welcome aboard! Your challenge sounds like a gut-wrenching one!! Give it your best and check in with us often. We're here for you and I hope you can give us all a hand at times too.

Ok, ciao tutti!

Last edited by redballoon; 08-27-2005 at 03:21 PM.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:57 AM   #19  
Lifeishort, Operaislong

Default How I became a jogger (longish)

Hi Curlylocks - ok, this is how things happened for me. Mind you, I didn't plan any of this. As I went, my body dictated everything. I started by walking EVERYWHERE. This is pretty easy to do in NYC. I stopped buying a subway pass and whenever it was possible, I walked. Normal pace, long stretches. Then I started walking faster. This was also easy in NYC, because the sidewalks are so crowded, I wanted to get through as quick as I could. I figured the bobbing and weaving must add to the calorie burning, too. HA!
Next, rather than just walking to get places, I made myself go for a brisk walk for an additional hour each day.

At some point in the fall, a friend suggested that I start going to a track in our neighborhood. I found that I liked that better than being jostled around in the streets. At first I just walked laps (quarter-mile track, I would walk 12-16 laps). But then, out of the blue, I realized that I was getting bored with it. So I started jogging one side of the track for each lap.

Then winter came and I joined a gym for 4 months. On the treadmill I would walk for 5 minutes, jog for 1 minute, for about 45-55 minutes. Then one day, I thought, I wonder how long I can keep jogging... and before I knew it, I had jogged for 25 minutes straight! I could NOT believe it. And I realized that I really enjoyed pushing myself. I also realized that I used to have to stop because my heart was beating too fast and I couldn't catch my breath. But by that time I had lost about 50 pounds, and I didn't have to stop until my legs were tired. That was a pretty amazing realization.

The weather got warmer and I got back outside, taking it a little slow at first. It's the understatement of the week to say that jogging outside is quite different from the treadmill. So now I jog 14-16 laps, 6 mornings a week. Plus the mile and a half walking to and from the track.

I think the most important advice I would impart to you would be to listen to your body and give it what it needs. Some days I have to stop after 10 laps, and convince myself that that is ok. Some days I feel amazing and jog 18 laps and am on top of the world. Every day will be different. Don't let a down day make you think it's all over.

Wow, this DID go on, didn't it? I hope it's helpful in some way!
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 03:01 PM   #20  
Staying in 1derland!

S/C/G: 288/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"

thanks! chaps. I think i am going to try that .. adding some jogging in with my walking.. I can walk a 9 min mile.. lol not to shabby for a nearly 45 yo, over weight asthmatic.. as fast as my dog wants to go i am almost jogging now lmao

ok day 6 completed for me... got up and walked at 7 am and then went for my work out...

RED: u can also make the smoothie, using vanilla extract, cinnamon & nutmeg in place of the jello
curlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:28 PM   #21  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

If I'm counting right... today is Day 21! (I took a free day last weekend)
Just have to drink my tea.
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:33 PM   #22  

Yay Sushi
21 Days!!!

carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 10:30 PM   #23  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

I counted wrong - Day 21 was yesterday!!!
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 12:04 AM   #24  
Never give up

Talking a big hand for Sushi!!!

Sushi!!! Congratulations!! The days snuck up and you finished your challenge without even realizing it!

Fantastic work!! Way to go!!

You must feel absolutely GREAT!!!

So...microphone here...how about some words of success....looking back, do you feel you've changed at all? Is the Sushi of 3 weeks ago the same Sushi of today? Give us your thoughts!

Last edited by redballoon; 08-28-2005 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:05 AM   #25  

Thumbs up CONGRATS Sushi!

Woohoo Sushi! Aren't you proud of yourself?

Day One of my challenge completed successfully. On to Day Two! (glug glug)

Have also completed Week One of WW and am really enjoying the way I'm eating. I think it's a much closer fit to my needs than what I was trying before.

to everyone who is hanging in there and making positive changes in their lives!
Old 08-28-2005, 06:09 AM   #26  
Never give up

Talking lady has liftoff!!

Hello ladynredd! I'm very sorry I missed your post. I thought you were a stealth starter and I had to come back in here and edit my post. Very sorry I didn't welcome you last night. Your post must have come in while I was typing. Well, good for you on your first day down and done! Can't get enough of the good stuff! I'm so glad you could join us. Remember, you have one pause day on your first round. You can use that as a pause, planned for and all, or just as a safety net if you slip up. Congratulations on a successful liftoff!

Last edited by redballoon; 08-28-2005 at 06:26 AM.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:27 AM   #27  

RedBalloon, you must have just missed me. I first piped up in msg. #17. And you're right, my challenge is drinking 8 glasses of water a day.

As far as an intro ... I'm doing Weight Watchers after a number of years away (trying everything else in the meantime.) Looking for that easier, softer way in the meantime, doncha know. My conclusion? There IS no easier, softer way.

I do broadcast captioning out of my home, filling in my abundant spare time quilting and reading. I'm expecting my first grandchild toward the end of the year and I'll be making a trip to Calif. at that time to greet the new arrival.

Nice to meet you!
Old 08-28-2005, 06:35 AM   #28  
Never give up

lady -- I went back and edited my post, but I think you read the old one. I found you! What, by the way, is broadcast captioning? Sounds interesting!
Old 08-28-2005, 08:20 AM   #29  
Lifeishort, Operaislong

Default Off to a strong start.

Day 2 - task completed! And it's not even 830am! I did my abs on the soccer field today, after I finished my jog. It was refreshing to do it outside, though I was covered with bits of turf when I was done.

Sushi - Congratulations! You rock.

Curlylocks - If you are doing a 9 minute mile, you hardly need to worry about jogging. At that pace, you are probably burning more calories than a slow-pace jog. Great!

RedBalloon - Thanks for the warm welcome, what a nice group of people to be on board with.

To everyone else - best of luck with meeting your challenges today!
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:51 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Day 19 Stayed in my Pts. No activity pts used
Day 20 Stayed in my Pts. I used my activity pts. Totally meessed up day!! I ate from boredom/Stress/Anger. I didn't log them until today. Wish I had logged as I cooked or munched them. I almost messed up the challenge it was .5 from being over my points!!!
I was thinking on going with SBD P1 for a 3rd week but I started to get even more dizzy. (I started that mid second week) I'm not sure why I think maybe not eating enough, or should I eat more meat?? So I thought I better go to Ph2 and add carbs. Im not sure if it was the carbs I added to breakfast (1/3 cup 7 Grain Cereal) or Dinner (1 slice wheat bread) but I stepped on the scale and I see a 2lbs gain!!! I didn't go over my points so I'm going think I may go with Ph1 again. Monday if those 2lbs are still there. Monday is my weight in day.

Congrats all you 21 dayers!!!

Today is my 21 Day!! My goal is not to use any activity points.

EEEK my husband is home and I hate him looking over my shoulder when I'm typing!
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote