100 lb. Club - Cute Boyfriend Rushed to Hospital

View Full Version : Cute Boyfriend Rushed to Hospital

Goddess Jessica
08-24-2005, 12:36 PM
I finished up my last class about 9:40PM last night and called The Cute Boyfriend (AB) on the way home. He was at the pub with our dance troupe. I told him that I was exhausted so I'd meet him at home. When he got home, I went to bed and fell asleep. He stayed up to surf and watch tv.

About 1am he came and and said his stomach hurt. AB's stomach often hurts or is upset because he tends to eat late and not the right things. I coddled him appropriately (for a girlfriend that has to be up by 6am) and told him to take some antacid.

He came back a few minutes later and said that it really hurt now so he decided to take some antacid (didn't I just tell him that?). He laid down but was uncomfortable so went downstairs again.

Then, he came up to tell me he was in horrible pain. I said, "Ok, get dressed. Let's go to the ER." I got up and got dressed and I could hear him moaning and groaning downstairs. He was in severe pain. He wouldn't let me put on shoes. When I got to the car I asked him which hospital was closest and he said to call an ambulance. I told him I could get him there faster. But my heart was starting to kick into overdrive.

As we drove, he said he couldn't breathe and that I should run stoplights. I squeezed his hand and it was terribly cold and clammy. It made me think he was not getting enough oxygen. I thought about losing it at this point but I decided that it could wait.

In the waiting room (where I put on my shoes), they made us fill out paperwork. He was in so much pain and you could see how scared he was. He asked if they knew he was dying in the waiting room. While I was filling out the paperwork I realized that I was shaking so hard that writing was difficult. Once I handed that back in, it took them about 5 minutes to get to AB.

They took bloodwork and an EKG, his health history and then had a doctor look at his EKG. Finally, they decided to put him in the Chest Pain Unit. Luckily, we live in California where they're a little more relaxed about non-married couple being together.

Frank and Joyce were our nurses. They made me sit outside the room (I think this is a good thing) and started him on Nitro tabs, oxygen and hooked him up to a heart monitor. Joyce was amazing. AB was diaphoretic, pale and just in a phenomenal about of pain. Joyce assessed that within 2 minutes and said, "Get the doctor here now." Yay, Joyce! When the doctor finally arrived, she told him, "Get into room 3 now." Dr. C checked his vitals, his EKG (which was beautiful) and ordered another EKG, an x-ray, an GI cocktail and morphine. After working with AB for awhile, he came out and made a few calls and then talked to me. He said that AB was not having a heart attack but they needed to figure out the problem.

After the morphine, the GI cocktail and a little girlfriend love, AB seemed much better. I thought about losing it again because it was a relief to see him not in so much pain, but I decided that it could wait. He was still having episodes but the pain killer was helping. Joyce came in and announced that they'd be keeping him overnight. AB and I decided that I should go home and call his office and try to get some sleep (HA!).

I left the hospital, called my mom (who is a RN). Lucky for me she is the best mom in the world (it was also 3am our time and 6am her time so she almost had a heart attack herself when she saw me calling so early). I also called his mom.

This morning, he's sleeping but apparently had another episode last night (followed by another GI cocktail and some morphine). He's going to see the cardiologist just for saftey sake and then I guess they're going to try to figure out what's going on with him.

Alrighty - I'm going back to the hospital. Thanks for the venting space.

funniegrrl
08-24-2005, 12:42 PM
Jessica! I'm so sorry. You're a strong girl, you know that, right? Here's hoping CBF is better soon.

*hug*

jenhai
08-24-2005, 12:49 PM
He is a lucky man to have such a loving support system behind him. Sorry to hear about these painful episodes. I will send a few up for you and the CBF. Keep us posted on how things go. Jenh-ai

mauvaisroux
08-24-2005, 01:02 PM
Sorry to hear about CBF :grouphug: - sending healing vibes down to him :goodvibes:

Jillegal
08-24-2005, 01:04 PM
Ack, what a scary story, Goddess J! You're to be commended for holding off "losing it" so often and being exactly what CBF needed you to be when he needed you! How horrible for him to be in so much pain and not know what's causing it. Here's hoping it turns out to be something that can be easily and quickly taken care of. I know we're not your absolute first priority right now, but please update us when you can.

P.S. ~ Don't forget to take care of yourself, too!

newfiedarling
08-24-2005, 01:10 PM
Gee that sounds very scary for you. Sounds like you're very good in high stress situations. Your BF is very lucky that you were there.

I'll be thinking about you. Please let us know when you get some news.

~Dee

taekwondomom
08-24-2005, 01:15 PM
That is so scary! I hope they find out what is going on soon. Are they thinking it is heart related still or are they investigating other causes?
Take Care!

barbygirl43
08-24-2005, 01:32 PM
GJ that definitely is very scary. I'm glad to hear they are trying to get to the bottom of the problem and not just shucking it off as something minor.

ChocLabLover
08-24-2005, 01:50 PM
Goddess, my best thought to you and CB!

teapotdynamo
08-24-2005, 02:11 PM
Oh, Jess, I'm so sorry to hear this. He's a lucky guy -- you are obviously the best CGF/N (Cute Girl Friend/Nurse) ever. ;)

Just know that you and he in our thoughts. Here's to its being something painful in the short-term but ultimately unserious...

We're here for you!

howie6267
08-24-2005, 03:18 PM
Hope everything is all right. You will be in our prayers.

mezmerize
08-24-2005, 03:22 PM
Geez that is really scary! I hope they find out what wrong soon! I'll say a prayer.

boiaby
08-24-2005, 03:34 PM
OMG! Jessica, how utterly frightening that must have been for both of you! Please, please let us know what is going on as soon as you hear anything. My thoughts are with you both.

Beverly

Gardenwife
08-24-2005, 03:38 PM
Oh, those late-night ER runs are no fun! Thinking of you and CBF.

Nash
08-24-2005, 04:40 PM
Jessica,

That's insane. I'm glad they somewhat got it under control. I was lucky, a fluke suspicion by my dermatologist, enabled the doctors to catch my heart problems just mere weeks before something disastrous could have happened. Please keep us updated on the progress. Itís a scary place to be, sometimes I prefer being the one these things happen to, because I do not like being the observer/loved one, there is an overwhelming sense of helplessness. We are thinking of you!

p

looosingit
08-24-2005, 04:48 PM
Hope everything is OK with the Cute Boyfriend! Keep us posted, when you can. Be sure to take care of yourself too!

irishgreengables
08-24-2005, 05:09 PM
How awful. I hope he is doing better today. And you too!

Sandi
08-24-2005, 05:15 PM
OMG!!! I can't imagine the panick you must have been going through!! Please keep us posted! Prayers to you both!!

famograham
08-24-2005, 05:42 PM
Sending healing vibes as we speak Jessica...

I hope you get all the answers you need as soon as possible. :grouphug:

xoxoxox
Linda

unheardkoala
08-24-2005, 06:36 PM
Your in my thoughts and prayers, hope it turns out to be nothing serious.

Jennelle
08-24-2005, 06:38 PM
Jessica...I hope everything is okay. Keep us updated.

Goddess Jessica
08-24-2005, 06:55 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for all your wonderful thoughts and prayers. They mean so much to me.

AB was released from the hospital. He was diagnosed with an esophageal spasms

Here's the definition of that:
Esophageal spasms involve irregular contractions of the muscles in the esophagus, which is the tube that carries food from the mouth to the stomach. These spasms do not propel food effectively to the stomach.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors
The cause of esophageal spasm is unknown. Very hot or very cold foods may trigger an episode in some people. The pain may be indistinguishable from angina and may radiate to the neck, jaw, arms, or back.

He has to follow-up with a cardiologist for a stress test (just to be safe). Esophageal spasms can be chronic or not but it's very likely that this will happen again since it happened once. The cardiologist in the hospital actually suffers from them and the first time he had one he came to the ER as well.

The good news is that it's not life threatening. After reviewing AB's diet the night it happened, they recommend staying away from the combination of high fat foods and alcohol. Which only made me cheer. :)

After being released, we went home and I immediately crashed (having not slept yet). It was such a relief to have him back in his own bed. A load of my shoulders. I slept like a rock - and then AB tried to make a move on me!! Can you even believe that? I told him, "No way!" and rolled over an went to sleep. ;) Some sexy nurse I am!

barbygirl43
08-24-2005, 07:00 PM
LOL. glad to hear he is better and it's not his heart. He sounds just like Jeff. Leave it to him to 'relax' in the hospital only to come home and want some.

Jillegal
08-24-2005, 07:02 PM
So glad its not terribly serious and that he'll be okay. Hopefully he'll beat the odds and never go through such an ordeal again. Typical male, though ~ writhing in pain one minute and wanting to writhe in pleasure the next! :p

Charbar
08-24-2005, 08:24 PM
Jessica.. I'm happy to hear that things are better for cute boyfriend. It still amazes me how males can be in terrible pain one moment yet still want the nasty!

BTW.. so I've known you for a while now.. when is cute boyfriend going to become cute husband????

Raelynn
08-24-2005, 08:40 PM
I am so glad to hear that he is okay and home now, that must have been so scary!

I second what Dana asked!

Gardenwife
08-24-2005, 09:27 PM
Good deal - glad it's not his heart!

DeterminedInGA
08-24-2005, 10:27 PM
I'm happy to hear that he's back home and that it wasn't his heart!

SwimGirl
08-24-2005, 11:29 PM
Jessica, wow, what a scary night!! I'm SO glad he's alright, and glad that you have an answer! It's the worst when you just don't know whats going on..

My mom actually was rushed to the hospital with those exact same pains, they found that her liver enzymes were higher than they should be, and put her on a strict diet of low fat, and a balanced diet of acid forming and neutral foods... she's been fine since. You should look it up online, "Wild Rose Detox", not the actual Detox, but the diet that goes along with it. I used to get heartburn a lot, and rolaids just didn't work.. I started eating almonds, and it took it away almost instantly! Tell him to try it if he gets indigestion.

-Aimee

TakinBabySteps
08-25-2005, 12:23 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your & BF's horrible experience. It sounds truly terrifying & I hope BF gets well soon.

lessofsarahtolove
08-25-2005, 12:48 AM
Oh, Jessica, how AWFUL!! For CBF, and for you. I agree with the others: you performed beautifully, doing a great job of keeping your :censored: together in a really scary situation. I'm just so sorry that you're both going through this. :(

Prayers and positive vibes headed your way, you sweetheart. :grouphug:

SuchAPrettyFace
08-25-2005, 01:13 AM
Holy carp! I'm so glad he's feeling better, I mean he MUST be feeling better if he tried to put the moves on you, hahaha. *hugs * for you, glad you made it through & didn't lose it.

lessofsarahtolove
08-25-2005, 01:27 AM
Alright, so I'm an idiot! :rolleyes: I responded on the first page, after reading just page one -- so in not reading ahead, I didn't realize that he was out and you'd gotten some answers! Alrighty then! It seems that relief and congratulations are in order, and a big ol' high five :high: on having such a horn dog! :D

looosingit
08-25-2005, 10:59 AM
Sounds like the CuteBoyfriend is feeling much better! ;) Nice to be considered the Godess you are after so many hours without sleep!

newfiedarling
08-25-2005, 11:54 AM
GJ, so happy to hear that it's not heart problems. You both most feel a great relief.

~Dee

Sheila53
08-25-2005, 05:31 PM
GJ, I just read this! How scary for you and CBF. I'm glad it wasn't heart problems. Hoping the spasms were just a one-time thing.

Goddess Jessica
08-25-2005, 06:51 PM
Hi guys,

He had a relapse last night but we controlled it with some high does Ibprofen. He went to the doctor this morning they're putting him on some acid reducers to see if that will help. Sigh! At least it scared him into better eating. I've also convinced him that food journalling will help us determine the cause faster.

Aimee - Thanks for the advice. I will definately look at that!

Dana & Raelynn! You bad girls! Don't try to sucker ME into that marriage club. ;) The Cute Boyfriend is still cute because he's still a boyfriend! :lol:

funniegrrl
08-25-2005, 06:56 PM
The Cute Boyfriend is still cute because he's still a boyfriend! :lol:

You go, girl! heh heh

shedilbry
08-25-2005, 07:12 PM
yeah... husbands, who needs 'em? LOL

i'm glad to hear things are better.

alphabetsoup
08-26-2005, 04:01 AM
Yipes! How terrifying!! I'm glad he's okay - hopefully he'll be able to find something so that he can get some relief from the pain and not relapse. ((((HUGS))))

(P.S. - Some Cute boyfriends DO become Cute Husbands. :D :love: )

Goddess Jessica
09-13-2005, 07:51 PM
Update!

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to give you an update on the CuteBoyfriend.

So, he was put on a restricted diet and give some acid reducing drugs. He's been through a stress test (the one where they make you run on a treadmill forever) and two ultrasounds (one of his heart). And finally, even though they were pretty sure it wasn't, they discovered his gall bladder is full of stones!

He's going to have gall bladder surgery (called cholecystectomy) sometime in the next month. It's an outpatient surgery! He loves to point out that many women on-line say that a gall bladder attack is more painful than labor. :)

Anyway, any advice from people who have had their gallbladders removed would be appreciated. I'm glad the guessing is over!

Sheila53
09-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Glad it's not his heart! What a relief that they finally determined the culprit.

An older gentleman I see at the health club I belong to just had that procedure done. He was back in the gym in no time at all, and had no problems. He had a lot of stones, too. Hoping CBF's surgery goes just as well.

SwimGirl
09-13-2005, 11:37 PM
Jessica - I am the ONLY one in my family with a gallbladder left, I've gone thru everyone getting them taken out. I don't know what to tell you exactly, keep CB on a low fat diet, my brother pretty much lived on brown rice. Really look at keeping a balance in the tummy, lots of water, almonds, brown rice and veggies would be perfect! The procedure itself was easy enough on my brother, I think he was just so thankful not to have the heartattack feeling anymore! He was recovered and back to work in less than a week. If you wanna know anything else, ask away, I can very easily ask my family! Glad to hear it's not super serious and can be cured easily :)

-Aimee

Sandi
09-14-2005, 12:26 AM
It's not too bad. The recovery is pretty quick. Some people have problems with certain foods after and some don't, so that'll have to wait and see.

taekwondomom
09-14-2005, 12:35 AM
Update!

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to give you an update on the CuteBoyfriend.

So, he was put on a restricted diet and give some acid reducing drugs. He's been through a stress test (the one where they make you run on a treadmill forever) and two ultrasounds (one of his heart). And finally, even though they were pretty sure it wasn't, they discovered his gall bladder is full of stones!

He's going to have gall bladder surgery (called cholecystectomy) sometime in the next month. It's an outpatient surgery! He loves to point out that many women on-line say that a gall bladder attack is more painful than labor. :)

Anyway, any advice from people who have had their gallbladders removed would be appreciated. I'm glad the guessing is over!
ACK! I totally sypathise with CBF! I had my gallbladder out 7 years ago in an out patient proceedure. I recovered really quickly, and I imagine DBF will too.

I was silly and suffered with what felt like a chest full of broken ribs and full blown nausea and intense vomiting for almost a week before finally going in to see a doctor. However, it was still easier than being in labor! And I've had three kids, NO DRUGS. ;)

I have found ***TMI Alert*** that since having my gallbladder removed, I get intense stomach cramps and will need to visit a bathroom ASAP if I eat very fatty foods (Pretty much anything deep fried or greasy is OUT for me. :nono: Cheeseburger and fries=extended visit to the bathroom). Not pleasant at all. If I eat good healthy low fat stuff and keep my fiber intake up I don't have those issues.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you all have a diagnosis now and it isn't his heart. Yay! Hope the surgery goes smoothly and he recovers quickly.

happydaisy
09-14-2005, 01:37 AM
Goddess Jessica,

As someone who has been through both labor and gallbladder attacks I can say they are definitely on par with each other! Both are terrible. The surgery is easy though. I would just recommend the first day to take his pain meds so he can get up and walk. They pump your stomach full of gas if he goes the laproscopic route, and if he walks around that won't be a problem. If he doesn't , that build up can hurt too. Wishing him a speedy recovery!

mabear
09-14-2005, 02:21 AM
i had gb surgery. i never had any other surgery but it is harder than giving birth. ouch on those attacks. i actually thought he had a gb attack when you first posted but i think everyone that has weird pain is getting them lol

if he does have the day surgery make sure he gets strong meds for the first 24 hours (10% of the time they can't get the gb out through the small lap incision). my shoulders were sore from the gas they use to inflate your belly. after a day i was feeling ok. i'm sure cbf will be fine. its so nice to not get attacks!

Catherine mom to 11
mabear's homepage (http://www.plomp.com/mabear)
http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar007/chick01/lb/272/155/200/ (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

alphabetsoup
09-14-2005, 05:41 AM
Oh man - sorry to hear that he has to have surgery - but it sounds really easy with a quick recovery.

Let us know more details as it gets closer. I'm sure you'll just both be so relieved for him to be pain-free. (((HUGS)))

Jillegal
09-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Awww, cute boyfriend. Well, at least its not too invasive a surgery and the recovery is quick and fairly easy to bear (he's been through enough already, the poor dear). Just promise me you won't let him ask the doctor to give him the gallstones so he can put them in a jar and bring them out at every opportunity to show visitors (that drove me nuts!!) :p

barbygirl43
09-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Ditto on the others on the surgery and recovery. I thought I was having heart failure with my attacks. I was also willing to go to the ER of the hometown hospital and risk infection from something. I too recovered fairly quickly and only took 2 days off work after it.

I haven't had a problem with any foods afterward. Before having it out I was told to lay off of dairy and all fatty foods to try to keep from having another attack.

Good luck and hopefully he'll be feeling better soon.

Tammy32
09-14-2005, 01:04 PM
Oh my gosh. Gallbladder attacks are the worst. I had mine out when I was 18, two weeks after my son was born. I had gallstones the size of silver dollars and they had also fallen into my liver giving me slight liver problems. I so sympathize for your man. Those attacks can just make you want to die.

I had my surgery the old fashion way. I have a huge scar to show for it. He will recover nicely and get some relief. I have to agree though, even me, that he might spend alot of time in the bathroom after eating. Mine has gotten better over the years but it still happens. And I mean when you have to go you have to go right away. There is no waiting around.

Jessica you are so sweet for taking care of your boyfriend so well through all this. I know it's been tough and you have hung in there like a trooper.

boiaby
09-14-2005, 02:55 PM
Ouch!! My grandma just went through a very painful bout with gallstones and will need to have her gallbladder removed. I've never been through it myself, but I did have kidney stones once and I gotta tell ya, I thought I was gonna die!! I'll take childbirth over that any day! Tell CB we're thinkin of him and you be sure to baby him bunches. Poor guy!!

Beverly

Goddess Jessica
09-14-2005, 08:21 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys! He's already being prepped for a diet change. He's taking it in stride tho.

Tammy - thanks for the sweet words. I don't have a huge caretaker side of me (they just are so whiney when they're sick!) but I feel bad for the guy.

Goddess Jessica
10-21-2005, 07:29 PM
Surgery Day!

The Cute Boyfriend just woke up from the anesthesia. He is now gall-less. Yay for no more bad gallbladder!

I really wasn't worried. At least I didn't think so. Waiting for the doctor, AB said "My God, last night you tossed and turned. Everytime I moved you said - OMG! Are you okay!" :lol:

Gardenwife
10-21-2005, 07:41 PM
Glad to hear he's down one bladder and on the way to recovery! :)

irishgreengables
10-21-2005, 10:10 PM
I don't have a huge caretaker side of me (they just are so whiney when they're sick!) but I feel bad for the guy.

:rofl:

Glad to hear is is well on his way to recovery.

Sandi
10-22-2005, 12:44 AM
Yah!!! So glad to hear everything went well!!! :D

** Stacye **
10-22-2005, 01:04 AM
*Hugs* for you & the cute boyfriend!

I had my gallbladder removed in 1997 - fortunately I only had 2 attacks but the 2nd one ended with me in the hospital for 6 days! I'm so glad to hear that CBF is doing well ... Now onto recovery!!

Loads of Feel better hugs!

boiaby
10-22-2005, 08:50 AM
Yay! Tell him he's in our thoughts, and you'd better get ready for plenty of babying 'cause you know how boys are!

BTW, my grandma just had her gallbladder removed Friday, and is doing great as well. She's very relieved to finally be done with all this, and is ready to start feeling good again. It's been a long, draining process, and I'm sure you and CB can totally relate.

Beverly

matt_H
10-22-2005, 10:32 AM
I'm glad everything worked out Jessica. You make a damn good cute girlfriend. He is a lucky guy.

Sheila53
10-23-2005, 02:18 PM
Glad he's on the mend!

DishyFishy
10-23-2005, 03:20 PM
Good to hear he's got it all sorted out. Hope he recovers quickly... for your sake! :lol:

activeadventurer
10-23-2005, 05:22 PM
Jessica.

Glad to hear it all went well.

DCM

barbygirl43
10-24-2005, 11:32 AM
Yeah. Glad to hear he's doing well and on the way to recovery.